Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,947 | Reviews: 1,643
4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Founders never seems to disappoint. I love the rich copper color of this beer. You can smell the hops and while their is a big hop taste it is nicely balanced with a smooth caramel flavor to bring it all into balance. I could easily drink a whole lot of these at a setting. Nicely carbonated for solid body.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. An extra in a trade... from whom, I can no longer recall (insert embarrassed look). Thanks to the man I can't remember!

A: Pours an amber/ruby body with no head at all, just a light foam cap that quickly recedes into a light donut around the brew. Uh oh. There are some webs of lacing down the glass.

S: Lots and lots of citrus, leaning toward orange but having a slight grapefruit zest. Further sniffing reveals a strong characteristic red ale aroma of caramel, along with tobacco and floral hops. There is a spicy rye bite underneath it all, but it's not obvious at first.

T: A nice backbone of caramel malt with a little clove and tobacco up front. An orange zest and floral hop flavor dominates in the mid-taste, with some grapefruit in there as well. All those flavors recede in the finish in favor of a spicy rye bite.

M: Medium bodied, somewhat low carbonation, but it works for the style. More bubbles would probably overshadow the rye in the finish. I'm not sure if this was intentional or I got a low-carbonation bottle, but it's good.

D: Very drinkable. This has a very clean and solid flavor, and the ABV isn't too high, so it's possible to put back a couple of these. I'd love to have this again.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. 70 IBU's, 6.6% abv.

Appearance: Perfect 2 fingers of tan head. Amber/red body with good carbonation. Good head retention. Awesome lacing from the top of the glass to the bottom. The appearance of the beer can't be much better.

Smell: Great citrusy grapefruit hop aroma backed by caramel malt sweetness. Smells like some of the more delicious IPA's and IIPA's that I've had. Little bit of mintiness.

Taste: Rye gives it a nice herbal spiciness. Hops provide grapefruit flavor and a nice bitter finish.

What an amazing beer.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

This is an awesome beer....the amarillos are put to good use as this has a fantastic juicy citrus aroma..sweet citrus...almost like citrus style candies....I've been smelling this for about 2 minutes straight and I can detect a slight spicy rye note as well but it is very, very subtle...

The taste is where the rye really adds an awesome dimension to this very hop forward juicy ale..but its not just the rye..there is some real multidimensional character to this beer...light notes of caramel as well....finishes spicy and somewhat dry.

This is a great beer. Had this with a BBQ last week and I ended up drinking three of them because they were sliding down so much...I just couldn't put the glass down....tonight as I review it I have similar thoughts....great beer....I have the new Tyranena Rye Bitter woman and I am saving the last one of these to try side by side with that one..

2.02/5  rDev -51.7%

Orange-copper hazy body with a half-finger of head that stays.

Rye spice initially, a lot of fruit and hot alcohol after that.

Huge amount of oxidation overwhelms everything here. There are rye notes and some hop bitterness at the end, but all in all, very hard to swallow.

Moderate carbonation and pretty drying.

This tastes like someone's third batch of homebrew. I've heard a lot of great things about Founders and being a MI native I was very excited to see it in NC. I really hope this was just a bad batch, but it makes me wary of blowing another $10 on their beer.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured into a pint glass. Color is a nice copper/deep amber. A big fluffy head with great retention and lacing forms. Can not wait to try this beer.

S - Strong citrus and floral hop smell. Can definitely smell the rye as well.

T - A lot like the smell. Tastes of grapefruit citrus balanced with caramel malt. The rye comes through, but not too strong.

M - Has a medium body. The carbonation is medium. Nice and creamy.

D - Very easy to drink. The ABV is not too high. I could see myself drinking most, if not all, of the six pack. Compliments a summer day perfectly.

As I have said before, In my opinion Founders can do no wrong. Each new beer I try from them is excellent.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Stubby 12oz brown glass bottle with a twist off cap. The label shows an old, balding, bearded spectacle wearing man.
Copper ruby translucent body with a tan creamy head. Decent retention and lace.
Amazing dark spiced hoppy scent, lots of rye coming through. Very complex and inviting.
The flavor is very similar to the scent and just as delicious and complex. Pine hops, mulch malts, dark spices.
Medium body with a nice coating and the usual residual sugars making the lips stick.
Excellent drinkability.

-Oelergud

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Wonderful red-amber with a thick creamy off white head. Initially the lacing that was left was pretty substantial and sticky, but I really like to swirl which reinvigorates the head, but removes the lace. I could just smell, sniff sniff, this beer. Grapefruit. Really intoxicatingly crisp citrusy grapefruit with a side of pine. On the palate, the rye adds a great spicy quality to the subtly sweet malt flavors. The hop bitterness helps to create a clean finish, and then lingers quite nicely. "Red's Rye" has a very nice mouthfeel that is at the same time smooth and a bit prickly from the carbonation. If the beer didn't smell so good, and have such a nice bitter aftertaste, I would have drank it faster.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

A - A dark cooper body with a few reddish highlights...a small tan head...good lacing

S - Full of piney and citrus hops...mixed with the spiciness of the rye

T - Starts off a little sweet with the malts standing out...it rolls into a blast of citrus hops...the rye adds that little something in the background that makes you want more...good balance and complexity

M - Medium bodied...smooth and creamy

D - This was my first experience with rye and I was very pleased...it was like an IPA with an added kick...this was definitely enjoyable

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

From bottle, poured into my Boulevard Pint glass.

Two finger cream head on initial pour, head drops low leaving great ropey lacing down the glass. Lacing is almost solid to the bottom, with heavy cream rings marking the swigs. Body is deep red in color, thick and dark letting very little light in. Nose is nice and floral, though I'm a bit congested so I'm fearing I'm not getting the best smells that I could. Bittering hops are noted as well as some pines notes. Body is super smooth, very easy to drink. Love me some rye beers and this is a great example in my book. A thick low lying head stayed with it to the end. Thanks to tatturbo for this one.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz. brown bottle served in a shaker pint. Pours a brilliant, reddish copper with about a finger of light tan head. Big piny hop aroma. Starts off with a solid malty base with some spicy rye. Great hop bite that is piny with some grapefruit. Long lingering finish with the hops. I'm glad this is available in my area now. This is a great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Deep red or deep copper with a dense off white hed. Very pretty with a bit of crbonation.

S: Hints of rye with a nice hop flavour lingering in the background

T: Tasty red caramel maltiness with a spicy hop bite. Citrus hop flavour as well. The balance is great, which makes it incredibly tasty. There is also a slight tartness at the end.

M: Creamy and medium/full bodied

D: Yes sir, may I have another?

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Rich, hazy copper with blonde highlights when held to the light. Small creamy tan head that leaves beautiful fine lace behind. The nose is citrusy hops, caramel and caraway seeds perfectly blended together. Rich spicy flavors blend together nicely, grapefruity hops, rye, toffee and caramel malt in perfect harmony. Medium bodied slick hop oil mouthfeel with bright carbonation. Dry, almost salty lingering bitterness in the finish. Great stuff.

WOW! I'm not overly familiar with Founders, but after trying their Breakfast Stout I had to give this beer a shot. It's absolutely delicious.

Appearance- A gorgeous burnt orange-red with a gentle layer of foam that quickly dissipates

Aroma- An appealing hop scent is immediately evident.

Taste- A hop-heads dream, the 70 IBUs dominate the taste but not too overpowering. The malts definitely make a statement but they're clearly in the background.

Mouthfeel- Gentle carbonation, very pleasant.

Drinkability- I could drink this all night, it is pure ambrosia!

2.49/5  rDev -40.4%

First of all, I don't know if Founders decided to change the recipe of Red's Rye beer into Red's Rye P.A., or if it is just a name change. But I searched for Red's Rye P.A. and didn't find it, so I'm adding it now. The label reads, "Hopped-up Ale brewed with Rye."

Poured a dark-reddish amber with an off white head. I couldn't smell any aroma when I tried this beer. Medium bodied, caramel malt flavor and no distinguishable hop aftertaste, not good for something that is supposed to have an IPA characteristic. It was not balanced, malts dominated and there was a strong alcohol taste. Overall this one missed the mark.

3.71/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Cloudy, red-copper umber with antique-white lacing.

Aroma: Citrus hops, hot malt, black pepper, and rosemary.

Taste: Smooth, yet bright. Slight metallic edge melds into a West-Coast hop joyride buckled in with a firm malt anchor. Nice and minerally.

Palate: Fairly typical with a mineral and bubbly scrub, and a slight creaminess at the end.

Overall: Not as stellar a pair with my grilled lamb loin with chanterelle gravy as I was hoping for, but not bad either! Terrific with roasted asparagus. This is a solid (if quite bright and extroverted) stand-alone brew; it would also (I imagine) be a hit with antipasto or cold-cut appetizer trays.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Dark and shimmering red/brown with a white head, nice lacing

Smells mostly of piney and citrusy hops, finished off with a bit of spiciness from the rye

More bitter than I was expecting, dry piney hops, bitter grapefruit, but the finish is much more complex with lots of spiciness and rye, surprising and very gratifying

Nice carbonation, crisp but the taste lingers for quite a while

I marked it down in drinkability since it was only 6.8% and it seemed like it was more, the thickness and complexity from the rye kept me from gulping it down quickly

2.96/5  rDev -29.2%

I poured the bottle into a glass. A nice dark red color. Plenty of head to the beer. I did not notice the spiciness that other reviewers mention. For me, the hops dominated, with a slight sourness to it. The hops dominating is what hurt the beer for me. I did not notice the alcohol and the only problem with drinking the beer was due to the hops.

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz. bottled poured into a pint glass.

Pours a bright amber-tinted red with a smallish, foamy cream colored head. Not quite clear, but not exactly murky or cloudy either. Head diminishes quite quickly and leaves next to no film on the surface. But oh, that beautiful red color.

Nose is spicy (rye? hops?) with a solid dose of zingy citrus zest underneath. Piney hops round out the nose, not unlike a big IPA/DIPA. As I revisit the nose after drinking a bit there are some sweet bready notes that come through. Interesting.

Big spicy rye flavors on first sip, and still big and bold on subsequent sips. Relatively minor notes of pine and citrus hoppiness, but with a considerable dose of hop bitterness. Mildly bitter and short finish, with a small touch of funk.

Red's Rye is creamy on the palate, followed quickly by a cutting sharpness that works to accentuate the hop bitterness of this beer. Unfortunately, this leaves me without much desire to drink more.

4.73/5  rDev +13.2%

For the longest time, I always strolled past this beer in the cooler at my local and went straight for the Centennial IPA. Now that I've had it, I can't get enough. On with the review!

Appearance- A beautiful ruby, with some orange hues. Thin white head which lingers right on the surface, leaving a nice lacing.

Aroma- Hops. A nice, crisp, hoppy scent reaches out to the nose.

Taste- The caramel malts are there, but very subtle. The hops dominate the palate, and the 68 IBUs are present. Awesome.

Mouthfeel- A little bite, with medium carbonation. Not too overwhelming.

Drinkability- I could definitely drink a sixer of this in an evening.

One of Founder's best.

Cheers

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a beautiful raspberry amber color with an effervescent, fat one finger head. Dissipates leaving a small amount of streaky lacing. Smells heavily of citrusy lively grapefruit and i can't really pick out anything else specific.
Tastes almost like sour caramel to me at first. Ample bitterness and a fruity grapefruit finish, round this brew out very well.
This brew is carbonated almost to perfection, but the super watery feel knocks points off. Drinkability is freaking awesome, middle of the road ABV and tasty ta boot. Solid offering.

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

on tap at the stable.

a bit of an orange copper color, little haze, with a fantastic looking head. off-white and sticky, plenty of lace.

smells hop-bombed with some rye or dark wheat flowing through.

pungent hop flavors abound. a great pine and citrus moment on the palate with notes of rye. a hint of malt toward the back.

mouthfeel is creamy and smooth yet astringent from the hop addition. good drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

deep coppery reddish amber, almost clear. (lots of sediment to decant.) big, light tan head, fades back to meringue, and eventually a thin but constant, creamy layer. great lacing.

mildly hoppy aroma of citrus zest and fresh pine. caramel, apple esters and touch of acidity. metallic whiff.

taste: moderately resinous and piney hops with citrus note, giving moderate bitterness to balance the caramelized malt and fruity esters. touch of crisp acidity in the finish, with touch of phenols.

light to medium body, but with resins, astringency and acidity, strangely also making it thinner at times. carbonation is moderate, prickly upfront, with moments of creaminess.

just updating my scores a little. honestly though, i'm not sure i can detect the rye.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OLD REVIEW 08-19-2007

clear reddish-brown amber, with off-white head that sticks around and leaves behind some nice layers of lace down the side of my glass.

smells spicy and acidic. tastewise, it has a slight sour bite with hint of malt, but the bitterness is quite prominent. pretty unique, and matches well with a hot dog, mustard and kraut. ;)

A-4.0, S-3.5, T-4.0, M-3.5, D-4.0

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

A= deep redish orange color verging onto brown with a thin but thick head that's got a little retention and average lacing. Looks kinda pretty.
S= lots of hops. Been a while since I had a real hoppy beer and this makes my mouth water. Sort of grassy piney hops. A little citrus. I wanna say they are like centennials or something but I'm not great at picking hops out.
T= very smooth. This is my first dabble with a rye beer and I like it. It stays very mellow and let's the hops come forward but still keeps them in check a little. Doesn't feel harsh or overly hoppy at all. Nice flavor. Shows how something can be flavorful and mild at the same time if that makes sense.
M= very low carbonation and smooth feeling almost like water.
D= great. Like I said its my first dabble with the style and I'm diggin it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz single purchased at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a nice caramel color with an absolute HUGE amount of head. It took me about 10 minutes to finally be able to get the entire bottle poured. The large fluffy tan head stuck all over the sides of the glass. Picture perfect beer.

S: Huge aroma that consists of caramel malts, rye, and a nice dose of hops. It smells as good as it looks. Is this a rye beer or an IPA?

T: Its not quite as bitter as I expected based on the aroma. The hops are really overwhelmed by the rye and other malts. A very tasty brew, but the flavor doesn't wow me like the appearance and the aroma.

M: A medium body brew with a good carbonation level. The rye tickles the tongue just a bit giving it some extra in mouth interest.

D: This beer packs a punch even though the ABV is not really high. Its just a big full flavored beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company