Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

The guy that runs the Lone Hill Liquor store in Glendora came over to drink with us last wednesday and brought a 6 pack of this stuff along with a few other select beers. Don't know much about rye beers but this was pretty good. I really enjoyed it.

It poured a great red color that was very clear and had a nice 3/4 inch head that had a very slight tan tint to it. Looked pretty sitting in my pint glass. Left a good amount of lacing in the glass. It smelled quite hoppy with some caramel malt smells coming out as I got to the bottom of the glass. The taste was that of a red ale and a lot of hops and some dryness that I imagine comes from the rye. Good balance, we all enjoyed it and agreed that it was worth having again. The mouthfeel was a bit fizzy without a lot of substance, still good but not quite like the ales that I'm used to drinking.

A good and drinkable beer and if I find it somewhere on tap I'll be sure to get a pint.

t0rin0, Nov 10, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Purchased a six pack of 12oz bottles from Giant Eagle on Biddulph.

A: Beautiful red color with a great billowy head. It left noticeable lace down my pint glass.

S: I loved the aroma of this. Only slight rye, could I pick up, but the grapefruit and herbal (almost conifer) kick was great in the nose.

T: Boy, does this beer hit the mouth. Very alive and active. Again, slights of rye, but citrus and hoppy bitterness dominate.

M: Chewy and bold in the mouth with tickles of carbonation.

D: Great drink and will enjoy again. My favorite Founders thus far.

LeftonJackman, Nov 08, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

no freshness date

a: Pours a hazy dark orangeish amber with thick frothy head that slowly settles leaving cream colored lacing clinging to the side of my glass.

s: The hops give off some strong grapefruit aromas as well as the typical herbal notes. Finally, there is a slight spicy character that I assume is due to the rye.

t: Sweet malt and citrusy hops contribute to an IPAish taste, but with an interesting twist to it that I assume is do to the rye.

m: Very smooth with a chalky, dry finish. Has a thick, creamy texture.

d: Its different from the other beers I've had, I don't know if its the rye or something else. Certainly unique and I like it. I only have one bottle, but if I had more, I would definitely try another and try to get a better grasp of its flavor and aroma which are both similar to an ipa, but a little different. I wouldn't call it a session beer, but I wouldn't shy away from seconds either.

BradLikesBrew, Nov 07, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice amber red with lively carbonation. Smell is caramel and citrus hops. Taste is much of the same. Some nice caramel malts and bitter hops. A light chocolate malt underneath and as it warms a good peppery spice comes through. Mouthfeel is very nice. Somewhat bitter with a spice that helps cut this short of too bitter. Medium bodied and great. An easy drinking brew, for sure. Glad I had a chance to try a couple of these.

ncvbc, Nov 04, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- A thin, tan head quickly settles into a nice lacing that leaves lots o' sticking to the side of the glass. The beer was a cloudy copper color with light carbonation.

S- It smells a lot like an American IPA. There were floral and grassy hop aromas mixed with the rye scent.

T- It had a nice "dry" flavor. Robust hop tones of grapefruit and pine with a rye flavor that becomes more pronounced as the beer warms.

M- Quite clean. The flavor doesn't really linger past the dry finish.

D- I could easily down a couple of these in a sitting.

Overall- I was quite cautious going into this drinking. I had all but convinced myself that I didn't care for the style. However, this goes to show that it's not a bad idea to come back and give something another try.

GRPunk, Nov 03, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

the only way I love a hoppy beer is on tap, this brew however is the same either on tap or by bottle. Only for the trained pallet can you detect the rye. Vivid color, frothy head and grapefruity taste this rates one of my favorite brews.It lives up to it's name. I encourage all to try.

onehoppypoppy, Nov 03, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a reddish brown color with a thin lace of head. Smell is sweet and has a grapefruit aroma. Taste is bitter with grapefruit flavor. The beer goes down smooth, but has a very bitter aftertaste and is slightly sour. This is one exceptional beer. Another great offering from Founders.

DrainBamage, Oct 31, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

A 12 oz bottle poured into my stange glass. This beer pours a clear amber red color. Has a tan head an inch thick when poured that settles to a nice surface layer and some very nice lacing. Malty aromas along with the rye and some piney hops are present. Flavorwise Bready malt and rye with caramel undertones are present upfront, followed by some grapefruit and the hop flavors. Good balance. The hop bitterness comes certainly out more as the beer warms. Has a crisp and creamy, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. A very good beer here indeed!

Eric

neenerzig, Oct 29, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Appears a clouded amber red with a large beige head, large bubbles with scant lacing all around my pint glass. Aroma is wonderful with spicy rye edges and pine and citrus hop layers built around the bready malt base very nicely blended. Smell is really piercing with the sharp rye and alpha acids from the hops it really tickles the nose hairs. Flavor is great with upfront bitterness spicy bready malt layers touch of caramel and biscuit tones with a current of hop flavor including citrus peel, pine cones, and herbs. Touch of alcohol in the finish but it's hard to say where the abv is at in this one. Mouthfeel is medium bodied creamy oily textured and evenly carbonated not bad at all. Drinkability is great one of those beers that is definitely case worthy, I wish I had another to follow this one.

WVbeergeek, Oct 28, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

IMO, A red ale style more than rye

Eyes: Red and bright...I love red ales

Nose: Out of the fridge it was caramel malt notes and the hops.
After sitting some 30min. the rye shows and compliments the fading hops.

Tongue: One of the best reds ales to get the caramel malts and spicy hops right w/o it coming off as to bitter/grainy/nutty which in most cases happens IMO. Again caramel when first opened and the rye shows after some breathing time.

Texture: Almost full bodied with that rye and caramel....niiice

Mouth happiness: pint after pint after pint A sessionable beer for me

HombreWing, Oct 22, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -11%

A- Pours into the pint glass a dark ruby red with 2 fingers of head (okay so I screwed up the pouring, so sue me). That dissipates into a thin layer on top of the beer and draws sinuey lacing over the glass.

S- I'm mildly stuffed up, but not that much, and this beer is really not giving me much in the nose. There's some darker orange/ sweet grapefruit hops but not more.

T- Hops hits the table first with a slightly sweet citrus twang, along with a touch of floral evergreen. There is some malt sweetness, slightly biscuity, more carmely, but not overly so. Even more fruit begins to reveal itself upon further inspection of the taste- strawberries, raspberries, and perhaps a hint of peach. There is also some hints of spice, cinnimon the strongest. Hopefully this doesn't sound too forced, but this taste, especially the fruit, strongly resembles the Jim Rye I've been drinking lately.

M- Mild bitterness all around my mouth and a great lingering taste, but not quite the mouthcoater of a thicker beer. On the otherhand it's only a red ale.

D- This is a good tasting beer and worth inspection. Is it complex enough to warrent continued inspection? I'm not sure, perhaps when my sinuses are 100% clear, but I'm not convinced it would present much more.

zdk9, Oct 20, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a very nice orange/red color. I intentionally limited the head because I know the head can build quickly on this one. The lacing is think and resilient.

The smell is incredible. It smells like a cross between an IPA and a barleywine. The taste confirms this. Sufficient bitterness to satisfy the most demanding hophead with a satisfying degree of sweetness that balances well with the hoppiness and is not overdone like some brews tend to do. Hints of grapefruit. The aftertaste lingers for quite some time. So satisfying.

Bottom line: This is one of my favorite beers. Enough hoppiness and at a reasonable price. Buy a six pack.

bassmantin, Oct 19, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to bozebus17 for allowing me to try this drink while I helped him brew his 'Jolly Good' porter last Saturday afternoon. He said it was one of his highest rated beers here on BA and after drinking this beer (which took me over an hour!), it'll probably be one of my highest rated beers as well.

Appearance was awesome. Orange on the bottom and turned into a darker copper at the top. Huge rocky tan-ish head that dissipated a little but maintained a very nicely until the very end, as did the lacing. Carbonation bubbles were also prominent.

The smell was very floral and citrusy. Different spices were detected as well.

The drink was very delicious. I sensed a good amount of raspberry with a touch of fig. Very intriguing indeed! As the drink warmed up, the bitterness of the hops was definitely more noticeable and I had the lingering of the hops at the back of my throat for a while.

For seeing as many carbonation bubbles as I did, I expected this brew to be kind of rough. That was not the case. This drink was so creamy, smooth, rich and just...well...solid. This one was definitely a sipper. Like I stated previously, it took me a little over an hour to drink.

After drinking this beer, I can say I owe bozebus17 a great debt of gratitude for introducing me to my new found friend. I will definitely be making a point to pick up a bottle or 6 next time I visit my fav beer store!

CoSMoSYS, Oct 15, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Jay23 for sending this beer.

Pours a reddish color with a finger or so of white foam. Presents a very good lacing and retention.

Smells of caramel malt and juicy grapefruit. Mostly caramel, grapefruit/citrus and bitterness, simple yet very well done.

Tastes like an IPA with some rye in the finish. Good malt presence and some grassy and citrus hops in the finish, followed closely with some bitterness. I detect some bitter orange flavors as the beer begins to warm up. I like this one.

seaoflament, Oct 13, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a hazy brown. Not sure if this is usual for this style. Not bad, but not as appealing to me as a transparent amber would have been.

Ah, but the nose is fantastic. Sweet floral hops. A beautiful aroma that reminds me of my favorite IPAs.

The first taste is a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Just the right dryness to make it refreshing. The rye gives it a slightly unique taste that sets it apart from the canonical west coast taste.

I really like this beer. It is very drinkable. At the same time it is complex and beautifully crafted.

reeder, Oct 09, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a very attractive ruby color, a bit hazy, with a thin, bubbly white-tan head. Presented an aroma primarily of hops. Taste was toffee/citrusy sweet with a strong hop finish. For some reason I couldn't detect anything that was uniquely rye, though I don't doubt it's in there. Taste was typical of an IPA. I know this is not strictly labeled as an IPA, but that's what it resembles. Mouthfeel was moderately crisp with a sticky finish. Drinkable enough and I'm glad I tried it. I won't be hunting around for it, but I'd gladly order one if it was on a restaurant beer list.

eberkman, Oct 07, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a dark amber color with a slight red cast to it. Head is small with a mild milky off white cream texture. Left a milky ring in the glass with each sip. It actually tastes a little like toasted dark rye bread. Six of these would be plenty in one evening. I really liked it and will buy it again.

quad07, Oct 06, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks to BeerTruth for this one.

Pours a somewhat hazy reddish amber with a huge beige colored head. Head fills the glass instantly and makes for a careful pour. Head is foamy and patchy as it recedes.

Smell is primarily very aromatic hops, a lot like an IPA. Lots of citrus notes, a bit of pine, and some caramel malt sweetness too.

Taste, in a word, is immaculate. Awesome grapefruit hop flavor up front is like I'm eating a fresh ruby red. Juicy is the best way I can describe it, with tons of hop flavor showcased from first sip through the finish. There's some pine hop flavor, as well, and some caramel malt sweetness. I don't get much rye flavor until a little spicy grain note at the finish along with a mild hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a good level of carbonation and it's very smooth overall.

This is a great beer. Thanks to Adam for hooking me up, and I definitely have to find some more of this and get it in the fridge.

number1bum, Oct 05, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Founders- Red Rye

12 oz bottle purchased from Capone's- Norristown, PA

A- Golden reddish brown with a small sticky head.
S- Strong pine hops with rye/ carraway seeds.
T- Strong carraway seed rye flavored malt hits you at first followed by a pungent pine and oily green hops.
M- Strong dominating flavors in the first few sips but this mellows out and finishes big and chewy.

Overall- Boy, this was good! 6 of these would be quite an evening!

NJpadreFan, Sep 28, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Nice medium amber color with an inch and a half of white-tan head, nice and frothy, that takes its time dissolving and leaves great lacing. Nose is all spicy hops. Nice toffee malt comes through as well. Taste is excellent, and very well balanced. Fruity hops up front, then nice toffee malt. Smooth ending, fruity and spicy hops in the end. Breadiness and grapefruit at very states too. Body is crazy thick and creamy. Very good carbonation. I really love this beer - great flavor and totally unique. One of my faves from the always good Founders.

soupyman10, Sep 19, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -5%

I had this in the cellar for a while. I thought I'd had it before so I was setting it aside to work through some other new to me beers. Turns out I was wrong. What a treat this was!

A - rich auburn color, medium sized white frothy head
S - solid whack of citric hops with a wry rye under tone (couldn't resist the pun)
T - there's no doubt this is a hoppy beer. I like the interplay between the citric hops, caramel malts and subtle rye influence. It plays out nicely across the tongue.
M - medium bodied, resiny and crisp.
D - paired with a spicy sezchuan stir fry. Wonderfully tasty and perfect with my spicy dinner!

barleywinebrewer, Sep 12, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -5%

A- This beer is absolutely beautiful. Uniformly translucent mahogany body with 2 finger thick creamy off-white head. Head has great retention and eventually fades to a thick collar. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S-Wonderful bouquet of citrus and floral hops upfront with a big caramel malt and rye background. Smells wonderful and I could not wait to taste it.

T- The first taste was full of bittering hops. I could also detect a wonderful balance of flavor but the first few sips were too bitter for me. After a few sips the bitterness almost faded completely away. Initial taste of big grapefruity citrus and floral hops with a solid sweet caramel malt and sour rye backbone. The hop taste fades for the finish and the caramel malt and rye are showcased. What lingers is medium residual hop bitterness and sweet caramel malt.

M- This mouthfeel is great! Medium body and low carbonation. Very smooth and creamy and goes down easy.

D- This became more and more drinkable as I finished my glass. This was my first rye beer and a very well done ale all around. I am looking forward to trying other oferings from founders.

PittBeerGirl, Sep 10, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bottle notched on the lower label at one month in so I'll say July/Aug born on date. Picked this guy at the local bottle shop for $3. So far, Founder's has given me a fine brew in all of my reviews. Let's see how this one rates.

A-One finger head, dark red in color and lots of bubbles's rising. The size of the bubble's varies which is a little unusual. Nice lacing on sides.

S-Sweet malts grab the nose. Some hints of chocolate also are around. I got so close to this one I got some in my nose and spilled it on my pants a little. Darn it.

T- My initial taste reminds me of an amber, almost like a Duck-Rabbit Amber Ale. Definitely lots of Rye abound. Also, hints of chocolate. Hops also are pretty good. Alcohol comes alive towards the end. Very good.

M- Pretty much carbonation on this one. Hops kind of numb your throat at the end.

D- Another unbelievable beer from Founder's. Do they make anything not awesome? The high ABV would lower the drinkability of this fine brew. However, I could drink this one all night. Will definitely be buying more of this one.

Cheers Friends,
Scott

shertz, Sep 02, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Props to atsprings for the hook-up.

Pours a gorgeous ruby-red hue with copper creeping in around the edges. Some tiny, dark yeast particles are stratified throughout the ale, giving it a somewhat clouded appearance. Up top, a thick, tan head floats effortlessly for quite some time, leaving some clumped lacing around the top of the glass.

Wafts of orange peel hit the nose first, followed by tons of rye, hops, grapefruit, and a touch of vanilla. A nice balance of biscuity, caramel malts rounds out the aroma.

The taste is that of semi-salty hops with lots of spiced rye, a hint of banana, more citrus, and more hops. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, with a medium body and a spot-on carbonation level. Packs quite a bitter finish as well. This is a well made beer, no doubt about it. It could use a bit of something more in the flavor department, but that's just me nit-picking, as it's extremely well rounded w.r.t. everything else. Nice job, Founder's.

wagenvolks, Sep 01, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Amber/light brown color. Pinky size head that reduces to the slightest of tan head as you go. What is left stays around though.

Smell: Spicy rye smell along with a citrusy hop aroma. Very pleasant.

Taste: Starts off with the hops in command. Very citrusy with a slight bitterness, along with a good sugary sweetness and perhaps a slight hint of caramels. As it warms, though, the rye makes an appearance. The spicy rye becomes more powerful as you go which makes for a nice complex taste.

Mouthfeel: Good medium thickness that you would expect here.

Drinkability: Surprisingly high. I thought this would be the type of beer I would try and just think was so-so from the name. What you get, though, is a tasty brew that rewards you as you go with a good change in taste after warming. Alcohol is not present at all which always adds to a beers drinkability. Very good beer.

hellcatsjg, Aug 29, 2007