Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
3.42/5  rDev -18.2%

Yet another big thank you to Leftmindedrighty. You never know what you got till you pop the cap & get brushed back by what you assumed was a mild-mannered beer.

First thing noticed, floaties! Brown spotting coming through the quarter-inch tapioca-colored head. I couldn't see past the fog, but it was as brown as a well greased leather baseball mitt. Not entirely sexy, but just like mixing any leftovers you can find into your 3am omelet, you know it'll at least taste interesting.

I'll say this, it smells sandy. Like a dusty graham cracker. Like it's been crumpled up & spread across something wet, like another one of your messed up Jello experiments. You fiend. You can't tell what kind of Jello it is, but you figure it has to be peach or one of those other funny sparking flavors, because it's a little sharp. The bitterness smells intense, like pungent grass clippings.

Taste is all hops & twigs & bark up front, along with a little sweet-n-sour thing playing along. After it splashes down, it goes straight to the bakery with some dusty crust & a cornmeal-like sweetness. I coughed a little.

A little thicker then I had expected. Almost hearty, with the carbonation giving it almost a gritty feeling. A little slick, like greasy, cold chicken soup. Don't choke on a noodle. :P

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

I had the opportunity to enjoy this beer on tap at Slow's Barbecue in Detroit after attending the auto show. My friends and I were eager to try this beer after reading the positive review in BeerAdvocate magazine. All I can say is WOW!

It poured a beautiful reddish copper with a decent head. It's unfiltered, which in my book is a good thing, indicative of a beer that's hand-crafted, but not overly so. Lacing was evident on the glass.

The aroma was, indeed, redolent of citrus and pineapple with a subtle sweetness. Mouthfeel was extremely smooth, reminding me of the softness of the cask (as others have mentioned). I can't say that I could identify the taste of the rye but it was hoppy enough that it could have been mistaken for a double IPA.

As to drinkability, I can only point to the fact that the three of us had a total 10 glasses of Red's Rye with our meals. Slow's has a great selection of fine craft beers but we stuck with the Red's for the whole session. Why mess with success?

If I could find a sixtel of this within 100 miles of PA, I would go out and buy a kegerator. It's that good.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Impresive. Poured from bottle into oversized wine glass (only had one; didn't want to miss anything). I was immediately struck by the beauty of this transluscent, heady winner. Good retention, lacing, beautiful reddish-amber color. It gets better.

The scent is absolutely amazing, although I am partial to well-crafted, hoppy ryes. It's hoppy and fruity--not just orange/grapefruit ... peach, blueberry, apricot, and clementine show through; sweet (but not sticky sweet, just pleasant sweetness). And then, there are the rye characteristics. I don't know if I've ever smelled anything so heavenly. Wait, do I smell myrrh?! No burial, here, although there's something in the nose I don't, too, but I mean that in a good way. I've never spent so much time nosing a beer. I bet heaven smells like this ... I promise to be good, forever.

I had trouble tasting all of the bouquet, but that's typical, in my experience, of complex, red ryes. Nothing to complain about. Sweet but dry.

I love the dryness and body, and, as with the nose, this is the paragon of drinkability. Added to the top of my list of favorite beers--although imperfect, this may be my favorite beer ever. I did not expect this; RIS, IPA and 2X IPA are my favorites. It's so good, I can't drink another beer or eat or brush my teeth. All I can think about is how incredible this beer is.

I sure hope I can find a place around Columbus that sells these in sixes. If not, the seven hour drive to Grand Rapids suddenly seem justifiable. How long do growlers last, again?

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

johnnnniee hooked me up with one of these. thanks john!

12oz stubby bottle. sampled jan 20/08.

pours hazy deep red with a huge fluffy cream coloured head. the head drops very slowly and leaves tons of clumpy lace behind.

aroma is great. grapefruit. tangerine. orange. bit of apricot. touch of pine. light alcohol. nice bready malt. good caramel sweetness.

taste is good. medium bitterness level. grapefruit. bit of pine. slightly powdery bitterness. lightly toasted wheat bread. definitely a bit of a spicy edge to it from the rye. nice light citrus sweetness - orange zest, tangerine, bit of apricot. light caramel.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium carbonation level, which feels a touch on the high side, but not quite unpleasantly so. medium body.

drinkability is great. this beer has a nice balance, with the alcohol almost completely hidden between the nice mix of citrus sweetness, malt, and grapefruit bitterness. then there's the light rye spicyness rounding things out and keeping it interesting. good stuff.

Pours a orange-ish/ copper color with a reddish hue, with a small off white head. In the aroma, dry rye-ish grapefruit. In the taste, a small grapefruit presence with a dry rye maltiness. A smooth and light mouthfeel with a dry grapefruity ryeness in the aftertaste. Dry rye and a grapefruitiness mix, best red I think I have ever had.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured into a pint glass, a cloudy reddish amber liquid appeared, with a 1/4 inch of white foam.

Smell was very floral, almost like a bouquet of wild flowers on my grandmothers kitchen, of summers long ago. I swirled it around in the glass and to my surprise the smell was completely different than what I had first thought. I was at the beach and catching a whiff of a briny salt water pool.

Fortunately the taste was much better than a pool of briny salt water! It was a deliciously bitter and yet well balanced beer. A very good hoppy amber beer I'd say. Maybe my taste buds aren't as sharp as some, but I really didn't get much rye taste out of this beer.

Mouth feel was smooth and a bit dry. Not overly carbonated. Very drinkable beer. Hoped for more Rye flavor though.

cheers.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Received a bottle of this from TheodorHerzl in a recent trade. Love Founders, love Rye’s, gotta love this right? Drank from my brand new Dogfish Head pint glass while watching Lost.

Appearance- Pours a nice hazy copper orange with a huge three finger cream head (got this brew yesterday, probably should have let it rest a couple more days… oops!). Once the head manages to die down it leaves a mountainous cap with crazy sticky lacing.
Smell- Boldly hoppy with lots of spicy grapefruit and orange. Plenty of caramel malt and something resembling bubblegum to go along with the hops. Clean and unique.
Taste- Starts with loads of rich toffee and gently sweet brown sugar. Nice spicy rye is definitely present although slightly subdued from the crisp hop bitterness. Loads of floral and citrus hops reminiscent of grapefruit, candied orange, ginger and bubble gum. Very earthy and nice with a gently sweet and very satisfying aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very thick, full body with a smooth cask like feel (although it might be from not letting it settle).
Drinkability- This beer absolutely rocks. I assumed it would be good but I never thought it would be this good. It’s terrifically balanced (maybe leaning a hair toward the hoppy side, but not by much). Awesome brew and a huge thanks to Matt!

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Californians like me don't get the opportunity to see Founders sold in our stores, but I purchased a bottle of their Red Rye at Charles Street Liquor (Boston) on Christmas Eve. It made a good last-minute gift, but how does it taste? Let's find out, on to the beer:

From the short stubby bottle and into a stange in goes, the beer rests in my glass a cloudy red color, a few shades from being orange. The aroma is very pleasant, kind of a mix of a pale ale and red ale. It teases the nose with gooey caramel and cookie. Add some chocolate and it would be Twix! Hops are mild and brings a juicy tropical flavor. Okay, enough teasing, I want to taste it now...

Folks, we have a winning taste! It starts sweet and hoppy before the rye kicks in. Tastes very similar to the smell I described. There's a party going on in my mouth! It's so damn smooth and tasty that I wish I could have regular access to this gem. It's heavy enough to please big palates, yet seems light enough to have everyday. The end is quite dry, meaning you can start the whole cycle sooner.

The experience is over, but the impression lives on. The only other helpful information I have on this beer is to get a bottle as soon as you see one.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

2007 bottle. Sticks nicely to the glass! Also nice top and nice slightly cloudy red body. Amarillo hoppy finish is a real nice compliment to the maltish grapefruit aroma. I've had this on draught too, but it's been awhile. Need to get a growler of it next time I visit! This is one smoooth rye!

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a nice brown-ruby color with active carbonation, small head, and solid lacing.

Sour rye and caramel malts on the nose. Can make out some faint, hop sweetness.

Initial taste is a grassy, sour malt that finishes with bittersweet rye. The mouthfeel and taste certainly start off with the mellow malt but then come to a noisey conclusion with a rye blast. Your palate is left somewhat dry and sour; very nice.

Founder's has to be one of my favorites. For some reason I have never picked up this offering and glad I did this time around (need an IPA break). Don't be like me - if you see it - drink it immediately.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A - 12 oz bottle poured a dense, cloudy copper. Creamy head simmers down to bubbly lace.

N - Up front malt. Sweet hints of mandarin orange and toffee, balanced with citrus and something musty - not bad, just as if this bottle has been waiting for me.

T - Flavor begins with lightly roasted grains, and a good dose of malts, filled with clean strong hop taste. Sits soft and smooth on the palate, with the spicy grain of the rye mixing with hoppy pineapple and slight bitterness that almost washes away and is replaced by a well balanced aftertaste of herbs, malt, hops and rye.

M - Well bodied, yet smooth and clean. A little chewy with a thickness that lingers. Does not feel heavy.

D - A new favorite beer. Extremely well balanced in taste. Very appealing nose. Goes down so smooth and delicious.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice very slightly fogged amber with ruby hints when held to light. Minimal tan head does not stay long at all. Nose is nice and fruity with a decent amount of sugar/candy in the mix as well. Flavor is pretty robust. I guess the rye really comes into effect here and gives a fairly bodied experience. Seems like the profile is mostly of wood. Nice and hearty really. Feel is good on the liquid and the carbonation is fairly full. Smooth and drinkable, but slightly more of a sipper than one to pound down.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Aroma is caramel, malt, citrus hops and a little spice.

There is a slight sweetness. For me the aroma and the taste didn't match but complimented each other.
Good mouthfeel. Rye favor is there, but is understated. Hops bitterness on the finish is almost to much for me.

Drinkablity is good.

This was a good beer experience.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at the brewpub. One of only four beers on the chalkboard-- where'd all the beer go?

The beer pours amber and slightly cloudy. The head is about a finger and change, creamy, and slightly yellow (I think this is a rye thing); as it dies down it leaves thick tracks of lace.

The smell is a mixture of crisp, citric American hops and spicy, peppery rye, with a background of caramel malts.

The flavor is similar, opening with big rye flavors. Grapefruit hop flavors come in just a little later, with malts appearing mid-palate. The blend of flavors is great, which is good considering the finish is at least an hour long.

The mouthfeel is pretty meaty for 7%; this is probably a combination of the malts and rye. Drinkability is awesome, this would be easy to pound.

Can't believe I never got around to having this before.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from the 12 oz stubby twist-off brown bottle (freshness notch on label indicated that it was bottled in October 2007) into a pint glass. I produced a 1-1/4" head of creamy beige foam. The foam leaves pronounced lacing down the side of the glass. The beer is an orange/amber... not quite clear.

The nose is of citrusy hops and some musty/basement aroma (not a bad thing...)

The taste: hoppy (grapefruit rind), woodsy (pine bark), musty. There's the rye! Lingering rye bread aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected... but still robust. Perhaps just a touch too high on carbonation for my taste.... but still good.

Drinkability: Good, solid robust ale. Another ROCK SOLID offering from Founders!

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle Inspection: Nice art, but no real info. Twisty brown 12 oz.

Aroma: Great sweet/hoppy combo going. Sweet has some crystal malt to it, the hoppy is all citric and west coast.

Appearance: Hazy red glass holds a thin cover of light tan with multisized bubbles that give up tidemarks of soapy lace.

Flavor: Balanced taste, some hop flavor without any real bitterness, mild sweetness without any candy aspect, and a earthy/zingy rye element in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body triggers a bit of chew, oily texture lingers after the swallow.

Overall Impression: A well put together beer. Flavorful but not extreme, hoppy but not bitter, and the rye is pronounced, maybe close to the edge for some people, but I like some rye in my beer.
Thanks to Pegasus for the sample.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz. bottle into Dogfish Head specialty pint glass on 12/9/07.

A - Poured a cloudy reddish brown with pretty small beige head. Small bubbles permeated the thick-looking body. Head mostly diminished and left minimal lacing around the glass, reminiscent of leopard spots, if you can imagine.

S - Grainy with a burnt buscuity malt aroma and some caramel sweetness is balanced by moderate herbal and earthy hops with some resin and smokey undertones. Slight alcohol tinge is also present. A hint of vanilla creeps out as the liquid warmed up.

T - Starts off with a good balance of malts and hops, but the hops win out in the end. Finishes with herbal hops and some resin. Burnt biscuity malt flavors come out a bit more as it warmed up, as well as some vanilla notes.

M - Medium body with a slick, oily texture and lightly fizzy carbonation. Finish was a bit metallic and bitter on the tongue.

D - Quite a hoppy red ale with lots of flavors and pretty complex hop profile. The rye presence is quite subtle. Good balance of malt and hops at the start, but hops linger for a bit longer, resulting in a moderately bitter finish.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

I tried this a a local pub and took a few notes.

The Red's Rye arrived in a stemmed goblet. The color was a crimson red with a creamy tan head. There was a nice citrusy sweet bouquet with hints of pine. The taste was sweet and spicy with a balanced hop bitterness. This is the best rye beer that I have ever tried.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Murky ruby amber in appearance. Fluffy head falls to a nice collar of lacing around my tulip glass. Aromas fill my nose with grapefruit hops, sweet malt, and tangy rye. Tastes of a balance of sweet sticky malts, spicy rye, and grapefruit. Some carmel mixed up in there as well. Bold but simple, I love it! Has a nice crisp finish to it. Mouth feel is nicely carbonated with a thick chewiness to it. I love rye beers so the drinkability is fantastic for me. Incredibly tasty! This beer would complement a rare steak off the grill. Highly recommended!

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Very delightful beer poured a deeper shade of clear red with a nice fluffy off-white head that leaves decent lacing.
An initial sensation of hops with a broader, bread-like rye body that provides a mouthfeel that suggests tart hop flavors.
Would appeal to anybody who can appreciate a hoppy red ale and those rye malt lovers out there.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A: poured dark, almost opaque red-brown color from a bottle into a tulip glass. Thick fluffy head with decent retention. Leave thick lace down the side of the glass.

S: scent of floral hops with some caramel from the hops.

T: Slight bitterness from the hops with a nice very slightly sweet malt taste - very balanced. No detectable alcohol.

M: medium body and very smooth. mild carbonation.

D: the well balanced character and medium alcohol volume make this very drinkable. This would be a good session beer.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A - nice clear red colour, puffy tan head, very attractive in the glass. Good lacing.

S - bready caramel malt, flowery citrus hops and spicy rye. Nicely balanced.

T - much the same as the aroma. Bitterness is subdued, and hop flavour is not overpowering, so the solid malt base is front and center. Rye flavour is not overly noticable, but seems to add a certain something missing from similar red/amber ales. Hop flavour is more flowery than citrus.

M - med-full, creamy texture, average carbonation. Works well with a sturdy malty beer like this one. Alcohol warmth gently creeps in on you.

D - Very good for the style and easy to drink.

A very likable beer. Quite satisfying, and would be a great everyday sort of beer. The complexity and boozy caramel notes remind me of a smaller barleywine.

Thanks to Demcorhip for the bottle!

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful shade of red with brown and amber hues. A light brown, slightly yellow, bubbly, frothy head with good lace and a bit of retention.

S - Sugary-sweet malt, hops, citrus fruit. There are only a few characteristics present but they are all very strong. In this case, a simple nose is better than one that is complex.

T - The flavors are simple as well but it's still a strong point for this beer. The hops, the citrus, the malt, and even some alcohol are all there and balance extremely well. My first sip was when the beer was at a fairly cool temperature and it was extremely good and now my last sip is when the beer is at a fairly warm temperature and it's still extremely good.

M/D - Smooth with a lot carbonation. It's dry at first but finishes with a delicious sweet malt. I could definitely enjoy this beer all night and would love to try it on tap. I've had only a few Rye Beers and this will remain a favorite for a long time. I've tried the Black Rye in the past and Red's Rye seems to be more balanced. I'll recommend this to anyone but I'm sure it can be interpreted as strong for some.

Consumed again on 1/5/13 with a bottled on date of Nov. 2012. Deliciousness is confirmed. Incredible balance of fresh, resiny hops, spicy rye, and sweet, roasted malt. An awesome beer that puts most rye beers to shame.

On-tap on 1/10/14 at Rail Trail in Hudson, MA. It bears repeating...phenomenal beer in every essence of the word. Wow.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Red Brown, very slight haze. 3/4 inch of off-white head, fell in about 2 minutes to a tall collar and bubbly coat. Didn't leave much lace behind

S-Ruby red grapefruit, piney hops, caramel malt, biscuit malt. Spicey grains. there is a doughy bread quality.

T-Pine and grapefruit hops abound, malty ans spicye grains. Caramel sweetness balances out the hopa nd spiciness of the rye. Has a long bitter/sweet finish.

M-Medium body, chewiness, creamy body with a tingle of carboantion.

D_very good, I only have one bottle and wich I had more.

Overall-This beer is definitely the best rye beer I've had and is a fantastic beer in any category.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Absolutely delicious beer from Founders. If this was in my back yard it would be my staple beer. Pours reddish orange with litttle head and some spotty lacing. Smell is of slightly sweet malt and some spicy rye as well as citrusy hops. Nicely balanced and very appetizing. The taste is magnificently balanced and proof that non-extreme beers can be astoundingly good. Very nice blend of rounded malt, slightly spicy rye, citrusy/piney hops, and some fruity/bubblegum like esters. No one flavor components dominate, they just form a harmonious quartet. Beautifully drinkable wwith a smooth but slightly spicy mouthfeel. Delicious.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company