Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Murky ruby amber in appearance. Fluffy head falls to a nice collar of lacing around my tulip glass. Aromas fill my nose with grapefruit hops, sweet malt, and tangy rye. Tastes of a balance of sweet sticky malts, spicy rye, and grapefruit. Some carmel mixed up in there as well. Bold but simple, I love it! Has a nice crisp finish to it. Mouth feel is nicely carbonated with a thick chewiness to it. I love rye beers so the drinkability is fantastic for me. Incredibly tasty! This beer would complement a rare steak off the grill. Highly recommended!

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Very delightful beer poured a deeper shade of clear red with a nice fluffy off-white head that leaves decent lacing.
An initial sensation of hops with a broader, bread-like rye body that provides a mouthfeel that suggests tart hop flavors.
Would appeal to anybody who can appreciate a hoppy red ale and those rye malt lovers out there.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A: poured dark, almost opaque red-brown color from a bottle into a tulip glass. Thick fluffy head with decent retention. Leave thick lace down the side of the glass.

S: scent of floral hops with some caramel from the hops.

T: Slight bitterness from the hops with a nice very slightly sweet malt taste - very balanced. No detectable alcohol.

M: medium body and very smooth. mild carbonation.

D: the well balanced character and medium alcohol volume make this very drinkable. This would be a good session beer.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A - nice clear red colour, puffy tan head, very attractive in the glass. Good lacing.

S - bready caramel malt, flowery citrus hops and spicy rye. Nicely balanced.

T - much the same as the aroma. Bitterness is subdued, and hop flavour is not overpowering, so the solid malt base is front and center. Rye flavour is not overly noticable, but seems to add a certain something missing from similar red/amber ales. Hop flavour is more flowery than citrus.

M - med-full, creamy texture, average carbonation. Works well with a sturdy malty beer like this one. Alcohol warmth gently creeps in on you.

D - Very good for the style and easy to drink.

A very likable beer. Quite satisfying, and would be a great everyday sort of beer. The complexity and boozy caramel notes remind me of a smaller barleywine.

Thanks to Demcorhip for the bottle!

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful shade of red with brown and amber hues. A light brown, slightly yellow, bubbly, frothy head with good lace and a bit of retention.

S - Sugary-sweet malt, hops, citrus fruit. There are only a few characteristics present but they are all very strong. In this case, a simple nose is better than one that is complex.

T - The flavors are simple as well but it's still a strong point for this beer. The hops, the citrus, the malt, and even some alcohol are all there and balance extremely well. My first sip was when the beer was at a fairly cool temperature and it was extremely good and now my last sip is when the beer is at a fairly warm temperature and it's still extremely good.

M/D - Smooth with a lot carbonation. It's dry at first but finishes with a delicious sweet malt. I could definitely enjoy this beer all night and would love to try it on tap. I've had only a few Rye Beers and this will remain a favorite for a long time. I've tried the Black Rye in the past and Red's Rye seems to be more balanced. I'll recommend this to anyone but I'm sure it can be interpreted as strong for some.

Consumed again on 1/5/13 with a bottled on date of Nov. 2012. Deliciousness is confirmed. Incredible balance of fresh, resiny hops, spicy rye, and sweet, roasted malt. An awesome beer that puts most rye beers to shame.

On-tap on 1/10/14 at Rail Trail in Hudson, MA. It bears repeating...phenomenal beer in every essence of the word. Wow.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Red Brown, very slight haze. 3/4 inch of off-white head, fell in about 2 minutes to a tall collar and bubbly coat. Didn't leave much lace behind

S-Ruby red grapefruit, piney hops, caramel malt, biscuit malt. Spicey grains. there is a doughy bread quality.

T-Pine and grapefruit hops abound, malty ans spicye grains. Caramel sweetness balances out the hopa nd spiciness of the rye. Has a long bitter/sweet finish.

M-Medium body, chewiness, creamy body with a tingle of carboantion.

D_very good, I only have one bottle and wich I had more.

Overall-This beer is definitely the best rye beer I've had and is a fantastic beer in any category.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Absolutely delicious beer from Founders. If this was in my back yard it would be my staple beer. Pours reddish orange with litttle head and some spotty lacing. Smell is of slightly sweet malt and some spicy rye as well as citrusy hops. Nicely balanced and very appetizing. The taste is magnificently balanced and proof that non-extreme beers can be astoundingly good. Very nice blend of rounded malt, slightly spicy rye, citrusy/piney hops, and some fruity/bubblegum like esters. No one flavor components dominate, they just form a harmonious quartet. Beautifully drinkable wwith a smooth but slightly spicy mouthfeel. Delicious.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm not all that familiar with rye beers, but I really enjoyed this beer. I enjoyed this beer from a pint glass a few days after purchase.

Appearance: Nice red color with a good head.

Smell: Nice aroma.

Taste: Very rich and smooth.

Mouthfeel: Chewy and smooth.

Drinkability: I was very impressed with this beer and was disappointed I only bought the one.

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

A red light ruby color, with touches of amber. An off white colored head forms, about an inch thick. A citrusy hoppy frgrance, with touches of malty sweetness, followed by a hint of spiciness from the rye. The taste blends well starting the sweet malt, then the rye takes over, then it layers to grapefruit and grassy flavors. The rye and the hops linger on the palate for sometime. A even balanced medium bodied feel, it glides across the palate leaving a slight arid feeling. This is a very good beer and is quickly becoming a favorite. The 6.8 percent alchol it would be hard to consider this a session beer, but man is it hard to not have two or three.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

I drank this beer a while back, after my wife brought several Founders bottles back with her from a trip to Michigan. Didn't have time to type in my review that day, but was able to jot down a few notes for posterity. Here they are...

Red's Rye appears a dark orange/red color, with yellowish hues at the base of the glass. There is a nice range in colors here. Thin head with good retention, and some lace. The nose is very fresh, bursting with piney hops and strong citrus. The taste presents a buttery peppercorn sensation, with the rye much more noticeable in the aftertaste than on intake. Also, there are both heavy hop and caramel malt notes here. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but also crisp, with a dry finish.

This beer is delicious. It goes down easier than its 6.8% ABV might suggest, but its also a very complex beer. Both sweet and savory, this brew deserves your complete attention. The folks at Founders have delivered another fantastic creation.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

The guy that runs the Lone Hill Liquor store in Glendora came over to drink with us last wednesday and brought a 6 pack of this stuff along with a few other select beers. Don't know much about rye beers but this was pretty good. I really enjoyed it.

It poured a great red color that was very clear and had a nice 3/4 inch head that had a very slight tan tint to it. Looked pretty sitting in my pint glass. Left a good amount of lacing in the glass. It smelled quite hoppy with some caramel malt smells coming out as I got to the bottom of the glass. The taste was that of a red ale and a lot of hops and some dryness that I imagine comes from the rye. Good balance, we all enjoyed it and agreed that it was worth having again. The mouthfeel was a bit fizzy without a lot of substance, still good but not quite like the ales that I'm used to drinking.

A good and drinkable beer and if I find it somewhere on tap I'll be sure to get a pint.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Purchased a six pack of 12oz bottles from Giant Eagle on Biddulph.

A: Beautiful red color with a great billowy head. It left noticeable lace down my pint glass.

S: I loved the aroma of this. Only slight rye, could I pick up, but the grapefruit and herbal (almost conifer) kick was great in the nose.

T: Boy, does this beer hit the mouth. Very alive and active. Again, slights of rye, but citrus and hoppy bitterness dominate.

M: Chewy and bold in the mouth with tickles of carbonation.

D: Great drink and will enjoy again. My favorite Founders thus far.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

no freshness date

a: Pours a hazy dark orangeish amber with thick frothy head that slowly settles leaving cream colored lacing clinging to the side of my glass.

s: The hops give off some strong grapefruit aromas as well as the typical herbal notes. Finally, there is a slight spicy character that I assume is due to the rye.

t: Sweet malt and citrusy hops contribute to an IPAish taste, but with an interesting twist to it that I assume is do to the rye.

m: Very smooth with a chalky, dry finish. Has a thick, creamy texture.

d: Its different from the other beers I've had, I don't know if its the rye or something else. Certainly unique and I like it. I only have one bottle, but if I had more, I would definitely try another and try to get a better grasp of its flavor and aroma which are both similar to an ipa, but a little different. I wouldn't call it a session beer, but I wouldn't shy away from seconds either.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a nice amber red with lively carbonation. Smell is caramel and citrus hops. Taste is much of the same. Some nice caramel malts and bitter hops. A light chocolate malt underneath and as it warms a good peppery spice comes through. Mouthfeel is very nice. Somewhat bitter with a spice that helps cut this short of too bitter. Medium bodied and great. An easy drinking brew, for sure. Glad I had a chance to try a couple of these.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- A thin, tan head quickly settles into a nice lacing that leaves lots o' sticking to the side of the glass. The beer was a cloudy copper color with light carbonation.

S- It smells a lot like an American IPA. There were floral and grassy hop aromas mixed with the rye scent.

T- It had a nice "dry" flavor. Robust hop tones of grapefruit and pine with a rye flavor that becomes more pronounced as the beer warms.

M- Quite clean. The flavor doesn't really linger past the dry finish.

D- I could easily down a couple of these in a sitting.

Overall- I was quite cautious going into this drinking. I had all but convinced myself that I didn't care for the style. However, this goes to show that it's not a bad idea to come back and give something another try.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

the only way I love a hoppy beer is on tap, this brew however is the same either on tap or by bottle. Only for the trained pallet can you detect the rye. Vivid color, frothy head and grapefruity taste this rates one of my favorite brews.It lives up to it's name. I encourage all to try.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a reddish brown color with a thin lace of head. Smell is sweet and has a grapefruit aroma. Taste is bitter with grapefruit flavor. The beer goes down smooth, but has a very bitter aftertaste and is slightly sour. This is one exceptional beer. Another great offering from Founders.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A 12 oz bottle poured into my stange glass. This beer pours a clear amber red color. Has a tan head an inch thick when poured that settles to a nice surface layer and some very nice lacing. Malty aromas along with the rye and some piney hops are present. Flavorwise Bready malt and rye with caramel undertones are present upfront, followed by some grapefruit and the hop flavors. Good balance. The hop bitterness comes certainly out more as the beer warms. Has a crisp and creamy, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Fairly easy to drink. A very good beer here indeed!

Eric

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Appears a clouded amber red with a large beige head, large bubbles with scant lacing all around my pint glass. Aroma is wonderful with spicy rye edges and pine and citrus hop layers built around the bready malt base very nicely blended. Smell is really piercing with the sharp rye and alpha acids from the hops it really tickles the nose hairs. Flavor is great with upfront bitterness spicy bready malt layers touch of caramel and biscuit tones with a current of hop flavor including citrus peel, pine cones, and herbs. Touch of alcohol in the finish but it's hard to say where the abv is at in this one. Mouthfeel is medium bodied creamy oily textured and evenly carbonated not bad at all. Drinkability is great one of those beers that is definitely case worthy, I wish I had another to follow this one.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

IMO, A red ale style more than rye

Eyes: Red and bright...I love red ales

Nose: Out of the fridge it was caramel malt notes and the hops.
After sitting some 30min. the rye shows and compliments the fading hops.

Tongue: One of the best reds ales to get the caramel malts and spicy hops right w/o it coming off as to bitter/grainy/nutty which in most cases happens IMO. Again caramel when first opened and the rye shows after some breathing time.

Texture: Almost full bodied with that rye and caramel....niiice

Mouth happiness: pint after pint after pint A sessionable beer for me

3.69/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Pours into the pint glass a dark ruby red with 2 fingers of head (okay so I screwed up the pouring, so sue me). That dissipates into a thin layer on top of the beer and draws sinuey lacing over the glass.

S- I'm mildly stuffed up, but not that much, and this beer is really not giving me much in the nose. There's some darker orange/ sweet grapefruit hops but not more.

T- Hops hits the table first with a slightly sweet citrus twang, along with a touch of floral evergreen. There is some malt sweetness, slightly biscuity, more carmely, but not overly so. Even more fruit begins to reveal itself upon further inspection of the taste- strawberries, raspberries, and perhaps a hint of peach. There is also some hints of spice, cinnimon the strongest. Hopefully this doesn't sound too forced, but this taste, especially the fruit, strongly resembles the Jim Rye I've been drinking lately.

M- Mild bitterness all around my mouth and a great lingering taste, but not quite the mouthcoater of a thicker beer. On the otherhand it's only a red ale.

D- This is a good tasting beer and worth inspection. Is it complex enough to warrent continued inspection? I'm not sure, perhaps when my sinuses are 100% clear, but I'm not convinced it would present much more.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a very nice orange/red color. I intentionally limited the head because I know the head can build quickly on this one. The lacing is think and resilient.

The smell is incredible. It smells like a cross between an IPA and a barleywine. The taste confirms this. Sufficient bitterness to satisfy the most demanding hophead with a satisfying degree of sweetness that balances well with the hoppiness and is not overdone like some brews tend to do. Hints of grapefruit. The aftertaste lingers for quite some time. So satisfying.

Bottom line: This is one of my favorite beers. Enough hoppiness and at a reasonable price. Buy a six pack.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Thanks to bozebus17 for allowing me to try this drink while I helped him brew his 'Jolly Good' porter last Saturday afternoon. He said it was one of his highest rated beers here on BA and after drinking this beer (which took me over an hour!), it'll probably be one of my highest rated beers as well.

Appearance was awesome. Orange on the bottom and turned into a darker copper at the top. Huge rocky tan-ish head that dissipated a little but maintained a very nicely until the very end, as did the lacing. Carbonation bubbles were also prominent.

The smell was very floral and citrusy. Different spices were detected as well.

The drink was very delicious. I sensed a good amount of raspberry with a touch of fig. Very intriguing indeed! As the drink warmed up, the bitterness of the hops was definitely more noticeable and I had the lingering of the hops at the back of my throat for a while.

For seeing as many carbonation bubbles as I did, I expected this brew to be kind of rough. That was not the case. This drink was so creamy, smooth, rich and just...well...solid. This one was definitely a sipper. Like I stated previously, it took me a little over an hour to drink.

After drinking this beer, I can say I owe bozebus17 a great debt of gratitude for introducing me to my new found friend. I will definitely be making a point to pick up a bottle or 6 next time I visit my fav beer store!

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Jay23 for sending this beer.

Pours a reddish color with a finger or so of white foam. Presents a very good lacing and retention.

Smells of caramel malt and juicy grapefruit. Mostly caramel, grapefruit/citrus and bitterness, simple yet very well done.

Tastes like an IPA with some rye in the finish. Good malt presence and some grassy and citrus hops in the finish, followed closely with some bitterness. I detect some bitter orange flavors as the beer begins to warm up. I like this one.

4.69/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured a hazy brown. Not sure if this is usual for this style. Not bad, but not as appealing to me as a transparent amber would have been.

Ah, but the nose is fantastic. Sweet floral hops. A beautiful aroma that reminds me of my favorite IPAs.

The first taste is a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Just the right dryness to make it refreshing. The rye gives it a slightly unique taste that sets it apart from the canonical west coast taste.

I really like this beer. It is very drinkable. At the same time it is complex and beautifully crafted.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company