Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,649 | Hads: 5,076
3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into pint glass and after pouring a thrid of the bottle the head overtook the glass. Massive thick, rocky head with lots of lacing. Hazy and rusty, off-white head. Smell was a bit strong of a sweet caramel with some hops, almost barleywine-ish. Taste was comlex. Some caramel, little hops, malt, some toasted grain and other earthy flavors. Fuller mouthfeel, smooth and somewhat velvety. Overall a good beer but somethinga about it just didnt hit home for me.

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

Nice reddish amber color with a thin white head. Smell is great. Fresh lemons, grapefruit, rye spiciness and pine. Taste has a lot of spice, but is balanced very well with the citrusy hops and bisquity malt. Extremely well balanced and very easy to drink. Nice carbonation and a good overall drinkability. This is a style that doesn't necessarily impress me most of the time, but this is a very good one.

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

A: crystal clear with an amber body. The head is a finger high and a golden, tan color, but it dissipated somewhat quickly.

S: hits you up front with some massive citrus notes. It's like you are in a sea of oranges. There is a hint of the malt in the aroma as well. A bit of bready aroma.

T: there is some upfront bitterness followed by citrus and a bit of caramel. Really nothing bind blowingly new, but then again it is a pale ale. The balance however is not what I expected from a pale ale. The balance is too hop forward for me, when it comes to pale ales.

M: a little bit lower carbonation than I expected. Medium bodied but the low cabonation makes it feel thinner than it should.

D: the hop assualt seems a bit on the strong side for a pale ale and there is a lack of malty goodness to back it up. This lack of balance, while dilicous, hurts drinkability. I honestly liked this beer more than the grade reflects.

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%

Shared with my wife and used some in our shrimp for supper.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, bottled 04/25/11.

Appearance: 2 fingers worth of creamy foam with an orange body with slight red tinges. Coats the sides of the glass well.

Smell: Hops, juicy fruit and a bit of bitterness.

Taste: A bit more malt than hops but the flavor is good. More grapefruit than tangerine.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, a lasting bitterness and a nice feel.

Overall: A good flavorful ale and though i would have preferred a more pronounced hop kick, it's worth trying for sure.

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: Cloudy, red-copper umber with antique-white lacing.

Aroma: Citrus hops, hot malt, black pepper, and rosemary.

Taste: Smooth, yet bright. Slight metallic edge melds into a West-Coast hop joyride buckled in with a firm malt anchor. Nice and minerally.

Palate: Fairly typical with a mineral and bubbly scrub, and a slight creaminess at the end.

Overall: Not as stellar a pair with my grilled lamb loin with chanterelle gravy as I was hoping for, but not bad either! Terrific with roasted asparagus. This is a solid (if quite bright and extroverted) stand-alone brew; it would also (I imagine) be a hit with antipasto or cold-cut appetizer trays.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into a nonic pint. Courtesy of fellow BA infi.

Pours a burnt sienna hue, with just a bit of a cloudy character along with a half-inch white head that dissipates slowly, leaving stringy lacing. Big hop presence in the initial sniff, with a lot of pine notes and a smacking of fresh citrus. Some malts are detectable with subsequent whiffs, lending some sweet caramel nuances to the nose along with some subdued rye essences.

Bit of a bitter opening salvo greets the tongue at first sip, the hops really asserting themselves before allowing the other flavors to come out. There's a bit of zesty rye that comes through, along with some muted malt characteristics. Stays pretty bitter all the way through, even into the aftertaste. Perhaps too much so. Mouthfeel is good, with just the right amount of oomph, not too heavy, not too light. Very minimal carbonation. Finishes dry on the tongue.

On the whole, an interesting rye beer. Perhaps a bit too hop-forward for my liking. If there was a bit more balance to it, the other flavors could really come out and provide a counter to the bitterness, which came across as almost seething at times. I would probably revisit this beer given the chance, but I don't think I'd go out of my way for it.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour is an amber/red color with a off-white head and has some lacing.

A pine hop aroma with rye spice and the mildly sweet caramel.

The bitterness of the grapefruit and pine blends well with the rye and sweet malts in the beer. I always seem to pick up the malt notes much more than the hops in red ryes.

The carbonation level is moderate and the body is medium to full.

Full disclosure: I am not a huge red rye fan but this is a very good example of the class. Founders always puts out quality beers.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

12 ounce bottle from Merchant Fine Wine in Dearborn Heights, MI in March 2008- price not recorded.

Pours a big rich deep red-amber with only thin whisps of head. Big bubbles in the middle of the glass show its carbonation, and nice lacing on the sides.

Aroma is of rich solid hops, herbal and oily, some piney, and only hints of fruit.

In the flavor, I can actually taste rye- very much like rye bread with the little seedsbaked right in. The hops sit on it like a veggie sandwich. The hops burn the back of the throat a bit.

Paired with a chicken salad with Michigan cherries on ciabatta bread; this may have been a bit strong for the food, but it went OK.

I purchased this as a single on recommendation of the beerman there. I would not have gotten it otherwise (as neither red ales nor rye tend to excite me in the beer world), but this is a very good beer, and I have to thank the Merchant Beer Man!

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

A: This pours a dark murky amber color. Nice two finger white head that fades into a cap. A fair amount of sticky lace.

S: Smells very hoppy with lot of malt balancing things out. Lots of rye spice on the aroma. Sweet caramel malt stands along with the rye.

T: The taste is big caramel malt with some rye bite and spice. The hops are really earthy and grassy. The rye is prominent with the hops fading a bit. This one has a slight vegetal flavor that I'm not crazy about. Seems to get hoppier as it warms.

M: Medium body with some high carbonation. The rye and hop oiliness make this seem a bit bigger than it is.

O: I enjoyed this a lot more last time I had some. I looked all over the place to find some with bottle dates but the last shipment must have missed that step at Founders. A really hoppy interesting rye pale ale when fresh, decent at this age.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Drank on-tap at Foundry on Elm, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Beautiful, orangey-crimson body with a near two-finger head of bubbly, light tan froth. A drippy latticework of lacing trickled down the top quarter of the glass.

Tons of bright, citrusy hop notes came through in the aroma. Orange peel was most apparent. Crisp and juicy. Slightly sweet with just a bit of twang from the rye.

The flavor profile was similar to the nose, yet drier and more bitter. A touch of maltiness appeared up front before the hops took over. Crisp, citrusy, West Cost style hops dominated. Pithy notes of grapefruit and orange rind were quite noticeable in the hop profile. Spicy in the center with subtle indications of rye. Oily, resiny notes of pine sap came through in the finish.

The mouthfeel was lighter bodied yet smooth and frothy with a fine, zippy effervescence.

Drinkability was where this beer seemed to falter. As much as I respect the style, the combination of dry, bitter hops and sour rye notes was a bit too much for me to handle. If you are a fan of Hop Rod Rye and other super hoppy rye beers, you will likely enjoy this as well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A straight, slow pour results in a deep reddish-brown body topped by an inch of creamy tan foam that even looks a little pinkish itself. Strong retention and plenty of lacing make this a great looking beer all around.

S: Spicy, piney hops really jump out right away, and remain the dominant aroma throughout. There's also some caramel malt and a nice dose of distinctive rye sharpness. Quite nice.

T: The hops and rye really join forces to create a powerful wave of spicy bitterness. A little bit of malt sweetness tries to make an inroad halfway through, but the hops close it out with an intensely bitter finish. It's both intense and enjoyable, but there's a rather pronounced alcohol note on the aftertaste - far, far more than I'd expect from a beer under 7%. It's really, really tasty up to a point, but the finish just keeps bugging me.

M: Slick medium body with moderate, sharp, late-arriving carbonation. Not bad at all, but not as smooth as I'd like.

D: Not bad for the style, I suppose, but I really wish there were less noticeable booze.

Notes: This is a beer with lots of great things going on, but it just doesn't come together IMO. I'd never turn one down, but I certainly don't think it fits in well with most of the other Top 100 brews. If I didn't know it was the strength of a single IPA, I'd think it was just a thin American Barleywine - it's that hot. Founders makes a bunch of world class beers, but this isn't quite one of them.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Well, I just went out and tried one tonight after reading the reviews on here. Well, I must say a well-crafted beer, the rye was just to strong for my taste! Otherwise, good looks, pretty easy drinkability with little carbonation, but one was plenty for me, doubt I will try it again as I just couldn't get into the rye, but if you like that kind of thing, you'll probably love this, give one a try!

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer poured with a hazy orange color and a small, short-lived head. It had aice aroma that blends a spicey character from the rye with citrus from the hops.

The taste is very bitter with a complex of malt flavors. The rye is very nice but the bitterness is somewhat harsh and very forward. It limited my interest in finishing this beer and interfered with the otherwise nice complexity of the malts and hop flavors.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz bottle born on 12-14-11 from an awesome BA (thanks Aaron) poured into a crystal mug.

A: Amber/bronze color, ample off-white head is foamy and lacy.

S: Citrus, pine, rye, spice, hints of toffee and bready malt.

T: More pungent pine on the palette. Grapefruit, orange peel, moderate spicy rye presence and sweet malt backbone/finish.

MF: Medium feel but on the lighter side, dry finish.

O: Pretty nice rye beer but there are probably better options out there. Glad I got a chance to try it, cheers!

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Pours into the pint glass a dark ruby red with 2 fingers of head (okay so I screwed up the pouring, so sue me). That dissipates into a thin layer on top of the beer and draws sinuey lacing over the glass.

S- I'm mildly stuffed up, but not that much, and this beer is really not giving me much in the nose. There's some darker orange/ sweet grapefruit hops but not more.

T- Hops hits the table first with a slightly sweet citrus twang, along with a touch of floral evergreen. There is some malt sweetness, slightly biscuity, more carmely, but not overly so. Even more fruit begins to reveal itself upon further inspection of the taste- strawberries, raspberries, and perhaps a hint of peach. There is also some hints of spice, cinnimon the strongest. Hopefully this doesn't sound too forced, but this taste, especially the fruit, strongly resembles the Jim Rye I've been drinking lately.

M- Mild bitterness all around my mouth and a great lingering taste, but not quite the mouthcoater of a thicker beer. On the otherhand it's only a red ale.

D- This is a good tasting beer and worth inspection. Is it complex enough to warrent continued inspection? I'm not sure, perhaps when my sinuses are 100% clear, but I'm not convinced it would present much more.

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz. bottle.

A - Poured copperish, light red color. Clear with nice one finger head.

S - Citrus hops with caramel malts. The hops came through a little more than the malts, but not by much.

T - Tough to tell what stands out more. The citrus hops, tasted pineapple or the bready malts. There was a good balance between the two, which made a nice drink. I was expecting more hop flavor.

M - Medium body with nice carbonation. A little bitter towards the end.

D - A good beer. For a rye beer, which I'm not a fan of, it tasted ok. I would pick a IPA or PA which has a little more flavor to it. Still though I wouldn't be opposed to drinking this.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Had on-tap March 2010. Was the 'keep the glass' draft special at Winking Lizard that month. Served in a really cool hops bud-laden glass with Red's logo on it. Review from notes..

A 'dark' IPA, pours with an instantly sticky head. Very unique color, sort of a tarnished ruby. Taste is round and dense. Elegant, mega-hoppy front with a finish that unfortunately hits a dry brick wall. Well worth a try.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Finally tried my first Founder's and it ain't no flounder....beer came in a bottle with no freshness date. Pours a deep translucent, unfiltered, reddish copper color, with a thick frothy head. The beer didn't quite smack me with the smell of fresh hops I was suspecting when I cracked it, and I think this beer is fairly fresh, and I can smell a sweet malty backbone. The taste is of grapefruity hops, you can tell it was dry hopped, has that extra-deep pungent layer of hops in there you get from the process, that extra pucker at the end in the aftertaste. But I don't pick up much rye in there, yet there is a maltiness to round out the hoppiness going on here. The label mentions rye, and belgium malts, but honestly, and it could all be due to a slight lack of freshness (please start date stamping these!?), I am a little disappointed with the lack of complexity in the taste of this brew. I love Amarillo hops too! I think it was fresh cause I bought it from a decent store with good turnaround, etc. I know what hoppy beers taste like when they fade....but overall, this is a pretty good beer that I found pretty darn drinkable, despite my complaints. But where is the rye (hell, even always watery Goose Island Mild Winter has way more rye than this)? Oh wait, I taste it, hmm, or did I...and those belgian malts, really?

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy red-orange color with a beige colored 2 finger fine frothed head that hung around forever and left some glorious lacing.

Aroma is potently piney with a musty yeastiness. Taste isn't as piney as I would have thought. Bitter rye flavor dominates the pine and subtle grapefruit flavor. As i drink more the rye bitterness mellows out but its still there.

Medium bodied, slick with good carbonation. Good for a rye beer, but it really dominates.

12 oz bottle.

High carbonation leads to overly huge, foamy head that does have good retention and a light tan color. Beer is clear with an orange/amber/red color.

Aroma is malty, spicy and has clear rye notes.

Taste is smooth and malty sweet and the start with nice character. Fairly light, but has some depth and balance. A bit of fruitiness in the middle. Blends into a spicy finish of hops and rye with a sour aftertaste.

Medium bodied. Clean, dry finish. Very drinkable, though a bit on the bitter finish side.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap at the Founders event at the Cloverleaf Tavern. It was served in a Palm tulip.

Red's Rye Pale Ale arrives ruby red in the glass, with a bit of clarity and some lighter red highlights. Almost two fingers of foam crowns the beer, and while it fades quickly at first, the last third or so hangs on for a while. There's definitely some lacing left clinging to the glass, but I'd classify it as spotty. The nose is disappointingly mild, but a bit of caramel plays off spicy grapefruit notes as aromas from the hops and rye meld together. The beer's a little more robust once it hits my palate. A prominent caramel note greets me, before a mild bitterness segues nicely into the spicy touch from the rye. The hoppy finish has some citrus, but also a more dank, pine-y aspect to it. The body is just too chewy for my taste, and as a result the carbonation struggles to cut through it all and make an impression. Red's Rye PA is a decent offering, but doesn't quite measure up to the quality of most Founders brews.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a bright reddish copper with a nice dense off-white head. Strong citrus/pine hop aroma with a healthy touch of rye and caramel malt. Flavor has lots of pine and citrus, biscuit and caramel maltiness, a touch of dark fruit, a bit floral, and a dry bitter finish. Kind of tastes like a heavily American hopped ESB. Medium to full body that has a nice creamy texture to it.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

A real cool twist on one of my favorite styles. This is my first review but I have been with BA for awhile and figured I would start rating, so here it goes! No I have not read a single review on this yet, I may be off but it's how I see it.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber with a creamy 1/4" head that stays with it longer than you might expect.

Smell: Not the most pungent of beers I have ever tried but I think I detect some piney overtones, similar to a Scotch Ale.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Dry and balanced, it realy is quite good with hints of pine and some faint citrus that quickly is balanced with the rye.

Drinkability: Very good, this being not an overly complex beer and so balanced you can hardly notice that it has 6.8% alcohol. I could drink more than a few of these at a time. I will definitely try this one again.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

12 fl oz/355 ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. This is me first Founders beer ever. I'm really excited to say the least. Acquired at Ramirez Liquor in Los Angeles a few days ago. I was surprised to see Founders offered here, and I knew I had to pick one up. Cost was something ridiculous like $6.00, but I'd never seen Founders in California (or Colorado, for that matter). Bottled 01/17/2012. No best before date.

Not paired with food.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Expectations are through the roof given Founders' reputation and this beer's current ratings.

A: Pours a half finger head of dark white (...) colour, nice cream, nice thickness, and above average (~3 minute) retention. Pretty good lacing as it recedes. Colour is a semitransparent caramel-copper. Non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appealing for the style.

Sm: Marvelous hops: floral more than bittering, with slight hints of piney, oily, and citrusy hops. Caramel and cream are present. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Clean malts. Very fresh and pleasant. Quite inviting, though rye doesn't come through even when I really search for it. I suppose rye isn't all that aromatic anyway. A mild strength aroma, and quite a nice one. I'm excited to try it.

T: Everything the aroma promised in terms of hops is here on the open and through the midpoint, and it's quite a nice greeting indeed. The hop bitterness is mitigated nicely by the floral hop character alongside the clean malts and caramelization. Rye underlies but isn't dominant. Indeed, malts rather than rye seem to comprise the foundation. For a beer based on rye, the rye is surprisingly subtle and doesn't coarsen the mouthfeel or dry it out hardly at all. Impressive indeed, though I'd be interested to see the grain bill. Certainly some barley or oats has to be present to smoothen it out. Red apple adds a well-executed extra dimension to the flavour profile. A tasty little beer. Nice subtlety, though I wouldn't call it complex. The hop and malt layering is rather impressive. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Delightfully smooth and wet for a rye beer. A touch too thin. Too smooth on the finish; it should be a touch dryer to coax out the next sip. Slightly heavy on the palate; I prefer pale ales to be a bit lighter, but this one has a higher ABV.

Dr: Very drinkable for the ABV and style. Hides its above average ABV well. It's rare a rye beer is so drinkable - to the point where I doubt the grain bill is honestly dominated by rye. In any case it's a tasty flavourful brew that really works as a pale ale. So far, Founders is living up to its reputation. If this is one of their normal offerings, I can't wait to try their more hyped brews.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearence: pours a dark amber brown with an average tan head.

Scent: at first I detected some lemon and lime. then some honey and oats, then came the rather distinct rye presence.

Taste: a bit of stout caramel at the jump but not to be outdone by the even sweeter malt,honey and strawberriess. there was also a nice earthy pine taste mixed with the rye and citrus that I realy liked...and made it so much more complex than what I am used too.

Mouthfeel: crisp and delightful for such medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I felt this was a remarkable first venture into the "Rye" beer category, score another win for Founders and me!!!

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company