1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,263 | Reviews: 1,609 | Show All Ratings:
sarajayne

4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: amber in color, extremely thin head

Smell: such a great scent! very fruity - grapefruit and hints of peach. The smell of the hops is also very dominant.

Taste: I thought this beer was definitely going to be one of the fruitier beers I've had, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fruitiness I smelled was not over-powering at all - in fact it was adequately matched with dryness of the rye, evening out the flavor very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Smooth & dry

Overall: LOVE IT. Finally, I have found a beer that my husband and I love equally! Thank you Founders for one less argument in the beer isle! Red's Rye PA was very easy to drink - I know this is produced year round, but I could see myself craving this beer in the Spring and Fall, in particular.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com

11-19-2012 01:04:18 | More by sarajayne
PatYoda

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow, this is one hell of a beer. The first thing that hits you when you take a sip is the heavenly creaminess. I once heard someone wonder outloud if the brewer for Founders might be God himself, and I really believe it after trying some of their other offerings and especially this one! The creaminess is out of this world, but it's not all this beer has to offer. The appearance is perfect - crystal clear amber with the nicest head and lacing you can ever ask for. Smell is full of juicy citrus hops and rye spiciness. Taste is total tropical fruit meltdown balanced perfectly by clean tasting creamy malt. The rye spiciness hits at the end, though a sour flavor never comes up. A moderate bitterness is also there. Incredible!

Edit: This beer is much better on tap than in the bottle. Bottled review is forthcoming.

06-04-2005 05:08:53 | More by PatYoda
BigDogMi

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

This one doesn't need it, but let me add my two cents to the growing accolades.

Poured from 12oz bottle into a 20oz pint glass.

A: Huge head, Lots of tiny bubbles, retention and lacing both long lived.

S: Grapefruit, spicy/pine, and sweet (hint of caramel maybe?)

T: Bitter up front, but mellows out almost immediately with a blast of many complex flavors, then finishes with slight bitter but doesn't linger. (very interesting and very good)

M: light to medium body and bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. But, as others have said: The heavy carbonation is a compliment here and not a turn-off.

D: While by the strictest definition this is not a session beer. In spirit and taste it is. I could and have drank these all night long. And will do so again.

I highly recommend this brew. I have shared Red's Rye with quite a few people (at least 10 people) both men and women and only one had less than great things to say about it. Everyone else said "Do you have any more?" That's 90% approval right there. What more can I say...

06-01-2010 19:41:32 | More by BigDogMi
TwoHeartedMale

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

a: its amber that fits its name. if my state would allow it id mary this beer off looks alone. white head that diddnt have anywhre to be any time soon.
s: rye up front up follwed close by pine hops.
t: ritch rye that is very smooth. slight smokeyness finished by grass\pine hop profile.
m: verry smooth well blanced with ritchnss nd bitterness.
o: this beer rocks. its a real treat. best of its kind and a must try. great work yet again fonders.

06-09-2011 02:44:37 | More by TwoHeartedMale
GreenPea

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow, what a nice pleasant beer that has no flaws to speak of. I will never be able to review a beer in the same professional manner as some of you but I can tell you this. Try this one and it will speak for itself.

Founders is simply an amazing brewery that has mastered their craft. This beer is no exception. From the nose to the lacing and down the hatch this one has it all.

Red ruby grapefruit with hints of cut grass and lemon zest dominate the nose. The pallet is clean and crisp.

The first thing I did after trying this is jump on the PC to see if this was seasonal or year round. Thankfully this is a year round beer.

I will leave it to the pro's to break it down structurally and simply say, this jewel is beautiful.

10-23-2011 02:55:35 | More by GreenPea
berliner07

New Hampshire

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

I had one to try. Then another. Then another. Wow this beer is delicious. Bit west coast hop profile on the nose. Pine, citrus, wonderful. Sip starts with that flavor, then transitions into the wonderful taste of the rye, which is big but still spicy. Great mix of spice and sweet. Hops carry the whole time. Nice clean finish for such a crazy beer. Really just wonderful.

06-29-2012 12:42:48 | More by berliner07
Avagadro

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This is the first Founder's beer that I truly loved. Poured from a bottle kept in an igloo cooler about 5 minutes ago. The Head started off very nice, and there is still a nice layer of head on the top. Served in a tankard, just because this is what I always drink Red's with, I like the open top to smell all of the gopodness. Appearence is amazing. mix crimson with burnt umber and you have this beers color. Not a cloudy beer. Head is a light latte color. Aroma is citusy-hoppy. Most likely due to centennial hops, which I believe is used in a lot of Founder's brews. Taste is to die for. Citrusy-hoppy just as the aroma forshadowed. very slight tinge of drynedd that you can only notice if you really look for it. Taste is dominated by hops, but the flavors of rye and toasted malt (?) are present too. Thick and chewy mouthfeel which is very enjoyable. Drinkability is through the roof. I've purchased countless six packs of this beer, and will probably keep buying it untill I die, or untill Founder's goes under, whichever comes first (hopefully me dieing is first because it would be a sad life in MI without Founder's) I suggest going out and getting this beer as soon as possible, not just as single, I'm talking like a kegs worth.

06-17-2006 04:10:27 | More by Avagadro
roan22

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I have bought many six-packs of this delicious beer before at Capone's.

Appearance: Pours a bright, true reddish color with a beige colored head. Nice lacing left on my glass. Nicely carbonated.

Aroma: Very citrusy and fresh.

Taste: Awesome hoppy blast from amarillo hops..that is what I notice the most. Also there is a nice coupling of rye spicy flavor and malts to give this ale a nice balance.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer goes down immensely easy, smooth, I can easily drink a few of these in a session, especially if I am not driving.

Overall, one of favorite beers I can regularly find and buy all year round.

01-17-2009 02:38:58 | More by roan22
Brad007

Vermont

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a darkish-red color with a one-finger head into my glass. Nice hue here.

Aroma is spicy and full of grassy hops in the nose. Very inviting aroma and it reminds me of rye beers that I've homebrewed.

Taste is sweet and spicy and reminiscent of a slice of rye. Grassy hops shows up in the middle but they don't dominate the palate, allowing the rye to shine through more.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spicy rye and grassy hops. Very nice overall feeling to this beer. Enjoyable as well.

I love this beer. It reminds me of why I have homebrewed several rye beers. There's just something about the flavors and the mouthfeel that keeps me coming back. This is certainly a marvelous professional example of the style.

05-06-2009 22:11:26 | More by Brad007
rpardon7

Kentucky

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A- Appearance poured a nice amber with a full white head that fell quickly leaving lacing down the glass.

S- Amarillo hops citrus

T- Wonderful balance of hops and belgian malt exceptional taste

M- Smooth and crisp very clean finish of hops and citrus.

D- Could have more than one or two of these.

11-27-2009 15:47:37 | More by rpardon7
twiggamortis420

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a slightly hazy light copper color with a bit of a reddish tint. Foam is thick, creamy and long-lasting and the lacing is plentiful. A very nice looking beer.

Smell is nearly heavenly with ample amounts of bright citric hops and spicy rye notes. There are some caramel and toasty malts in the background, but the hops and rye are the main attraction.

This beer does a great job of showcasing both hop flavor and bitterness. Floral, grassy and grapefruit hoppiness play nicely with the zesty, pepper and bread-loaf rye flavors. There is a touch of sweetness in there to help smooth things out a bit. The mouthfeel and body on the beer are just about right for the style and I'll be damned if Red's Rye is not far from chuggable. Drinkability is through the roof. I dont think I could ever get sick of drinking this brew and am very sad this is the last of a six pack I got for Christmas...thanks Dad! Unbelievable beer, great job (as usual) Founders.

01-14-2010 01:25:10 | More by twiggamortis420
DocTheDJ

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Tops out as one of the best beers I have ever had! Dark chocalate brown with a small head, smells of bourbon, a dash of malt, chocalaty for sure, making me very hoppy! Smooth rich and goes down fast! I'ld write a review about its taste but all the ground has been covered on this one. Outstanding!!! I need not say more!

07-01-2010 17:25:38 | More by DocTheDJ
megahurts4

Louisiana

Founders Reds Rye
On draft at Sunset Grill in Boston, MA

Appearance: reddish-copper, small head, and good lacing.

Smell: hops, rye, and a nice citrus.

Taste: hops, rye, and a faint fruity citrus.

Mouthfeel: medium and incredibly smooth.

Overall:
This is a great brew. The aroma is wonderful. The flavor balance can be noted from the first taste. It is nearly perfect and flavorful.

07-27-2011 04:01:14 | More by megahurts4
Humulus85

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This is truly the gold standard for Rye PAs. First time reviewing. From a 12oz bottle into my Darkness snifter for effect.

Pours a vibrant, hazed, dark reddish/copper. A stiff pour will produce a very dense, cream colored, two-finger head. Solid retention and some decent lacing.

The nose is wonderful rye spice and grapefruit hops. This is exactly what a Rye PA needs to smell like.

Tons of biscuit and spice from the rye upfront that almost instantly blends with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Some sweeter malts come up the middle lending balance. A pleasant rye aftertaste keeps you coming back for more. Insanely well balanced. For 6.6%, I don't see it getting better than this.

Medium in body, but on the heavier side for a PA. The rye gives it a nice chewiness. Ample carbonation helps lighten the load. Finishes very dry (with the amount of hops and rye this is no surprise). Super drinkable.

Overall this is my personal favorite of the Rye PAs, and objectively an exceptionally well crafted brew. The rye and grapefruity hops blend so well together it is almost like it's own flavor. Too bad Founders has a relatively small distribution area. If you are in that area and haven't yet tried this, shame. Try it! Cheers!

06-15-2012 22:48:10 | More by Humulus85
thebrood1987

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I get a resinous deep rich west coast hop smell with some spicy sweetness. The sweet hop flavor is very noticeable The thick malty rye bread taste builds as you take more sips. It mixes with the hops very well and the citric resinous herbal bitterness really makes this just like a top notch IPA.

While easily being mistaken for an IPA it does have a thick rich rye taste but what i like about it is that its a sweet taste. As I drink more the more flavorful it becomes. The rye really comes out and the thick malty sweetness does as well. What a complex beer.

Hands down my favorite rye beer. Not only because of the obvious amazing west coast ipa hop flavor and bitterness but because of just how tasty that malty sweet rye is. As I'm sure others can tell you this is just all around a really great beer.

07-06-2012 02:16:42 | More by thebrood1987
JustinCurtisKoch

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

my first experience with a RyePA.; exceptional. definite fan of this brewery.

A: dark red, thick tan head
S: the rye comes through, remebered that pepper note from rye whiskeys. malt comes through strongly as well.
T: starts sweet, good caramel malt notes, biter hops begin to take over about half way through, finishes bitter and complex and lingers there.
M: medium weight
O: a definite go to for me when i'm looking for something on the bitter side, the rye defenitely adds complexity to the IPA style. highly recommend.

10-10-2012 23:55:59 | More by JustinCurtisKoch
KelsoSaaz

Connecticut

Bottled on 06/28/12, poured in conical pint

A: Pours a hazy deep orange-red with a tan 1 finger head and little lacing.

S: Sour rye bread aroma, slight citrusy hops and spicy notes.

T: Grainy and slightly sour rye flavors, earthy yet spicy. Bitter grapefruit and faint caramel malts. Finishes bitter that fades into spicy sweetness.

M: Medium carbonation with a soft, creamy, satisfying mouthfeel.

O: This is a great beer, exactly what you would expect with Founders. Like great American pale ales, it pleases with its hops, however the addition of rye creates a spicy, earthy, and wonderfully different tone for this brew. Get this beer whenever and however you can, it is excellent.

03-07-2013 04:10:07 | More by KelsoSaaz
leokbelo

4.86/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a deep amber/copper into a pint glass. An inch head fades into a lacing that lingers.
Spicy hop aroma, rye and a bit of caramel. A "grapefruity", citrus bouquet comes out too.
Absolutely wonderful on the nose!
A full hop punch on the palate, spicy and piney, grassy feel. Very smooth, very drinkable, extremely balanced. Rye spiciness in the background, keeping it fresh and tasty!
What a beer! Simply amazing!
Hoppy (70 IBUs!), fresh and wonderful!
Highly recommended!

03-23-2013 15:56:44 | More by leokbelo
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A splendiferous shade of luminous, dark coppery, reddish orange with a huge number of suspended particles. The crown is nearly as impressive. It's orange-tinted light caramel in color and milkshake creamythick in consistency. The lasting rockiness of the lid, as well as messy rings and small scraplets of lace, put the final touches on a masterpiece of an appearance.

Founders Red's Rye smells like a DIPA... all brassy, sassy hops and caramel malt. It's hard to appreciate much rye given the significant hop load, but I'm not complaining. As long as I get some spicy rye on the palate, I'll be a happy man. The aroma is amazing, with power and personality to spare. Chinook (among others) is in the house methinks.

Upon drinking, I'm still reminded of an IPA/DIPA hybrid. The hops aren't quite up front enough for it to fit comfortably into either style, but then it was never meant to be anything other than a kick-ass rye beer. And a kick-ass rye beer it most certainly is. The huge, rock-ribbed malt backbone is composed of sticky caramel and tantalizingly spicy rye. I repeat my oft uttered plea: 'please craft brewers, use more rye in your beer'.

There's an intoxicating (both literally and figuratively) interplay between bold, caramel-soaked chunks of candied grapefruit and earthy, pumpernickel-spicy toasted rye. Red's is lusciously sweet with a countering, resinous bitterness and a candy apple zing. It all adds up to flavor perfection, especially since new vistas of flavor are opening up as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is medium-full, lightly syrupy and delightfully chewy with a perfect amount of subdued carbonation.

The finish is ultra-long, which gives me the chance to contemplate this beer's many charms without hastening its departure. But all good things must come to an end and I am compelled to continue drinking until my single bottle is no more. Rarely have I been so despondent to see an empty (although nicely lace-encrusted) glass before me.

I haven't yet sampled all of Founders's offerings, but I'd be amazed to discover one that I like as well as Red's Rye. It's easily the equal of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, if not quite as assertive. An insanely hopped ale spiced with rye is the stuff of my beery dreams and I wish to thank Founders for making those dreams come true. And deejaydan, without whom this would not have been possible.

05-06-2005 15:37:54 | More by BuckeyeNation
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Dark rusty red with a large creamy peach fuzz colored head that lasts forever. Huge carbonation bubbles slowly pop and leave a chunk of lace on the surface of the brew.

LOTS of Amarillo hops with some doughy yeast and a little sour rye smell.

The amarillo hops really complement the sour tones from the rye very well. There's a little heat from alcohol and a spicyness from the rye. Fantastic beer. I wish I could go to the store and pick this one up daily.

Many thanks go out to trbeer for the opportunity to have this delicious libation.

11-17-2006 23:16:51 | More by timtheenchanta
DrainBamage

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a reddish brown color with a thin lace of head. Smell is sweet and has a grapefruit aroma. Taste is bitter with grapefruit flavor. The beer goes down smooth, but has a very bitter aftertaste and is slightly sour. This is one exceptional beer. Another great offering from Founders.

10-31-2007 07:07:08 | More by DrainBamage
Gehrig

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

The top-notch appearance begins with one of the better labels I've seen in quite some time. It looks as though the late "Grandpa Munster" Al Lewis had receding but teased-out air, all highlighted in orange. The beer's appearance, intriguing picture on the label or not, merits full marks. Two full fingers of tan froth cap a clear brown-cider orange body like a foam waffle, lasting almost throughout this beer's delicious but brief glass life. Great lacing is the frosting.

Indications of heavy hops begin with the tantalizing nose, full of rye but much more hopped than I expected. Caramel malt is never far behind, in the aroma or phenomenal taste, precisely where the beer hopscotches in style and drinks like a solid DIPA. Chewy hop taste and texture find solid if junior partners in caramel, molasses, and brown sugar malts. Better with every sip, the finish proffers more spice than the rest, pepper and maybe cinnamon.

Better than I anticipated, Founder's Red is one of the very best beers I've tried (along with The Beast, Trappistes Rochefort 10) in quite some time. Tremendous, and I think the best in Founders' excellent lineup. My 400th beer review was one offered to me. The 401st, which I'd thankfully chosen, will be one I remember and revisit far more than its immediate predecessor.

This is one to cellar.

06-23-2008 19:53:13 | More by Gehrig
ryanobeirne

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Deep rich amber color with a small amount of fine, just barely visible particulates floating throughout. A rich foamy off-white head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Rather hoppy aroma with a hint of rye malt. Slight woodiness towards the end.

T - The hops are outstanding in this beer, and balanced just enough to bring out the just the rye in the malt.

M - Very smooth and crisp, but leaves a slight hop resin in the mouth, in a good way.

D - Super drinkable: I could barely finish writing this before I was done! Very easy to drink all day. Perfect for fall and summer. Heck, it would be good in the spring and winter too!

Overall, I am impressed. This is only my second time trying the beer, but I will be returning soon!

09-04-2010 00:03:20 | More by ryanobeirne
madvermin

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Shoutout to my main man Buddha22 for this, got it in a trade with him. Poured a deep cherry mahogany, with about a half-finger of white head on top that dissipated quickly, leaving decent lacing in the drink and on the glass.

Smells candy-like, with licorice and some sweet spice intermingled with caramel malt and tropical mango hops.

Taste follows with sticky sweetness balanced by the hops in the background which offer up mango once again, and finish the beer bitterly and cleanly. Distinct malt taste is pleasantly weighted with pine. Lots of licorice-like sweetness initially as well. The herbal hoppy finish perfectly sets up the next sip, enhancing the drinkability significantly.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with the end, as mentioned earlier, herbally clean. Approaches thin at times, but flirts with the line well, offering up a delectably light yet full-bodied texture. Drinkability is flawless, finish + start = a great mixture of palate cleansers + sensitizers that can't be topped. Nothing is too strong, nothing is too weak; there is nothing left to be said I guess. Top, top beer, regardless of style.

02-14-2011 06:49:18 | More by madvermin
Gilmanbrz

Vermont

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Really excited to try this beer,heard lots about it over beeradvocate, great taste really wish to see more of thoses brews around this area (newhampshire)
the flavor of this beer is very unique compare to this everyday micro brews that I like.

Very hoppy, beautiful color at the pour, over all really good! Defenely a 10 high score on my board!

Lately I have Ben discovering lots of small brewerys but world class score thanks for beeradvocate.
And thanks to the founders master brewer! Keep working for THE BEST!
I m a big supporter of fine tasting brews.

10-03-2012 00:39:33 | More by Gilmanbrz