Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,646 | Hads: 5,044
4.83/5  rDev +15%

The top-notch appearance begins with one of the better labels I've seen in quite some time. It looks as though the late "Grandpa Munster" Al Lewis had receding but teased-out air, all highlighted in orange. The beer's appearance, intriguing picture on the label or not, merits full marks. Two full fingers of tan froth cap a clear brown-cider orange body like a foam waffle, lasting almost throughout this beer's delicious but brief glass life. Great lacing is the frosting.

Indications of heavy hops begin with the tantalizing nose, full of rye but much more hopped than I expected. Caramel malt is never far behind, in the aroma or phenomenal taste, precisely where the beer hopscotches in style and drinks like a solid DIPA. Chewy hop taste and texture find solid if junior partners in caramel, molasses, and brown sugar malts. Better with every sip, the finish proffers more spice than the rest, pepper and maybe cinnamon.

Better than I anticipated, Founder's Red is one of the very best beers I've tried (along with The Beast, Trappistes Rochefort 10) in quite some time. Tremendous, and I think the best in Founders' excellent lineup. My 400th beer review was one offered to me. The 401st, which I'd thankfully chosen, will be one I remember and revisit far more than its immediate predecessor.

This is one to cellar. (1,327 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15%

A splendiferous shade of luminous, dark coppery, reddish orange with a huge number of suspended particles. The crown is nearly as impressive. It's orange-tinted light caramel in color and milkshake creamythick in consistency. The lasting rockiness of the lid, as well as messy rings and small scraplets of lace, put the final touches on a masterpiece of an appearance.

Founders Red's Rye smells like a DIPA... all brassy, sassy hops and caramel malt. It's hard to appreciate much rye given the significant hop load, but I'm not complaining. As long as I get some spicy rye on the palate, I'll be a happy man. The aroma is amazing, with power and personality to spare. Chinook (among others) is in the house methinks.

Upon drinking, I'm still reminded of an IPA/DIPA hybrid. The hops aren't quite up front enough for it to fit comfortably into either style, but then it was never meant to be anything other than a kick-ass rye beer. And a kick-ass rye beer it most certainly is. The huge, rock-ribbed malt backbone is composed of sticky caramel and tantalizingly spicy rye. I repeat my oft uttered plea: 'please craft brewers, use more rye in your beer'.

There's an intoxicating (both literally and figuratively) interplay between bold, caramel-soaked chunks of candied grapefruit and earthy, pumpernickel-spicy toasted rye. Red's is lusciously sweet with a countering, resinous bitterness and a candy apple zing. It all adds up to flavor perfection, especially since new vistas of flavor are opening up as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is medium-full, lightly syrupy and delightfully chewy with a perfect amount of subdued carbonation.

The finish is ultra-long, which gives me the chance to contemplate this beer's many charms without hastening its departure. But all good things must come to an end and I am compelled to continue drinking until my single bottle is no more. Rarely have I been so despondent to see an empty (although nicely lace-encrusted) glass before me.

I haven't yet sampled all of Founders's offerings, but I'd be amazed to discover one that I like as well as Red's Rye. It's easily the equal of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, if not quite as assertive. An insanely hopped ale spiced with rye is the stuff of my beery dreams and I wish to thank Founders for making those dreams come true. And deejaydan, without whom this would not have been possible. (2,376 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours copper/mahogany with a rich head that settles to a lasting cover. Concentric rings of lacing stick to the glass.

The smell is of a huge amount of citrus and some pine with a caramelish, rye, bready backing. This is one amazing aroma.

The taste matches it well - bitter citrus and resiny pine with a sweet balance and rye dryness. The flavor is very delicious with an amazing bittersweet balance. Long, long finish.

It has a smooth, firm medium body.

This has alcohol? Covered very, very well. This just disappears. Very hoppy, but shows a nice malt base. Great use of rye. Unique and very well done. (609 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

I'm freshly transplanted into the Midwest, so I made sure to make founders one of my first new brews in my new home.

A- Outstanding. Poured into a tulip, I’m struck by the phenomenal color, and solid 2 finger head which lasts and lasts. Think grade A maple Syrup with a frothy top. Excellent lacing to boot.

S- Now that’s what a beer should small like. The instant it was opened I was flooded with the scent of sweet caramel malt, and pungent grapefruity hops. Upon closer inspection, the rye makes itself well known and kicks the smell into overdrive.

T- Spicy rye body with big time grapefruit/citrus taste. Are they 100% sure this is a PA? whatever it is, it’s good… damn good.

M- Bitter! Especially for just a PA, but remarkably well balanced. Super smooth carbonation, and with a swish of the tongue this elixir turns into liquid silk. Velvety smooth going down, but maybe… JUST MAYBE, slightly too bitter for the style. but I love bitterness and I love hops, so this is fine by me.

Overall, my FIRST beer from founders, and certainly not my last. Hellooo Midwest brewing scene. I can get used to this. (1,123 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours with very little head, but the head that does pour lasts. Deep red color.

Smells grapefruity and spicy.

Tastes bitter and citrusy with malt and rye.

Awesome beer. First had it on Draft, then saw it in the beer shop...Knew i had to get it...This is the review of the bottle I bought. (292 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

An amazing brew that shares a lot of characteristics with Arrogant Bastard.

Color is ruby red with some darker amber hues. Head retention is massive and messy, leaving gobs of white stuff all inside my glass. Aroma is packed full. Lots of pine and citrus hops. Some straw dryness in there too.

Flavor is very heavy in the pine hops department, lesser extent in citrus (orange), crisp, puckering. Lots of complex bitterness. A weak rye dryness tries to bring it all together but comes up short. There's little balance here. Lots of oils and resin in the mouthfeel.

Went pretty damn well with the fried brie and apples at Fuel and Fuddle. (639 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Shoutout to my main man Buddha22 for this, got it in a trade with him. Poured a deep cherry mahogany, with about a half-finger of white head on top that dissipated quickly, leaving decent lacing in the drink and on the glass.

Smells candy-like, with licorice and some sweet spice intermingled with caramel malt and tropical mango hops.

Taste follows with sticky sweetness balanced by the hops in the background which offer up mango once again, and finish the beer bitterly and cleanly. Distinct malt taste is pleasantly weighted with pine. Lots of licorice-like sweetness initially as well. The herbal hoppy finish perfectly sets up the next sip, enhancing the drinkability significantly.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with the end, as mentioned earlier, herbally clean. Approaches thin at times, but flirts with the line well, offering up a delectably light yet full-bodied texture. Drinkability is flawless, finish + start = a great mixture of palate cleansers + sensitizers that can't be topped. Nothing is too strong, nothing is too weak; there is nothing left to be said I guess. Top, top beer, regardless of style. (1,127 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Beautiful red and cloudy with a sturdy 2 finger head that leaves a ton of lacing on the glass and on the surface of the beer.

S: Strong grapefruit, pine, and fruity aromas dominate. There is a definite sweetness as well.

T: Wow. This is excellent. Tart, sweet, and crisp. Citrus up front with a nice pronounced bread-like finish.

M: Lots of body here. Very good carbonation and a dense, creamy mouthfeel.

D: There is a strong bitterness here, but boy, is this one tasty beer. Don't know if I could drink this all night, but I could definitely build to this and end the night with it. Highest Recommendation. (641 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Bottled on 04/14/11.

Appearance: Deep amber orange with lots of rising bubbles and a big four finger off white head with very good retention. Lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Strong aroma of grapefruit citrus hops with some bready malts, caramel, toffee, and a good bit of rye. Also has some hints of floral hops. Smells sweet and hoppy like a malted up IPA. Very inviting aroma.

Taste: Big burst of citrus and floral hops giving a grapefruit taste like an IPA. This is followed by a strong malt backing with caramel, toffee, and some roasted malts. A good amount of rye lingers throughout the taste. The flavors are very bold and complement each other nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Full and bitter but goes down very smooth. Good foam head retention makes for a very creamy feel.

Overall: An outstanding beer. Rich in body and taste and the flavors are both bold and well balanced. (1,000 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

On tap at the Dilly Deli. 10oz. Sample for $3. Even better on tap. The hops and rye really pop out when it's this fresh. Added bitterness is just perfect for this beer. Just an absolute gem. Probably their best beer. I only wish we would see more Founders kegs here in Cincinnati. (280 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Murky brownish amber brew that is almost strawberry when held to the light. This one has a nice one finger eggshell head with nice sticky lace and good retenttion. A good swirl can bring back the one finger head easily.

Smells citric and astringent like an IPA, but much more unique. It's not the typical grapefruit citrus of and IPA, but much more green and tart smelling. I'm reminded of rhubarb, under-ripe strawberries, and green apples.

Very citric and tart on the palate at first, then a very sweet and unique flavor that reminds me of a subdued roggenbier washes over the tongue. At first sip, this is similar to an IPA, but then the roggenish rye flavor makes itself known and lets you know that this is not an ordinary brew. Hints of overripe / rotten apples, green apples, and rhubarb. Very sweet and sour at the same time.

Mouthfeel is creamy, refreshing, and medium in body with a very dry almost sour-pucker finish. Keeps you sucking your teeh to get every last drop of that awesome tartness.

I could session this brew easily! The unique flavor has a novel and complex character, and I love the tart sour aftertaste. I remember eating rhubarb straight from my grandma's garden (often overindulging until I got the runs) and this one reminds me of that flavor.
---
I later noticed that this is my 100th review, and what a damn fine brew to have on such a momentous occasion! (1,400 characters)

Wow!

Really impressed with this beer.
Dark, coppery red color, with a chucky thick head that stuck all over the glass. Smell was citrus, reminded me a strong grapefruit. Similar hoppy taste, except with a surprisingly prominent maltyness and of course the rye flavor. My first rye IPA, but my impression is that this beer was particularly well balanced and delicious! (370 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A - An absolutely brilliant mulchy red that is hazy glows. Head is minimal but sticks around a while and adds substance to each sip.

S - Hops, wood, pine, a tiny bit of molasses malt.

T - Oh dear god this is one of the most refreshing beers you will ever find. WOW! So fresh tasting, like it came straight from the field. Bready, rye, cherry wood, lemon rind, cedar, and minimal malt.

M - Hands down the crispest beer that I have ever encountered. An absolutely phenomenal dry finish. Carbonation is medium and perfectly so.

D - One of the most drinkable beers I've ever come across. One of those beers that I just want to drink more and more of. PERFECT to session with basically any time of year. So crispy and delicious. Damn near perfect. (748 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow, first had this a few weeks ago at Monk's Cafe, loved it then, just picked up a case. Poured into a pint glass, clear reddish brown with a frothy creamy head, great retention and lacing. Smell of hop oils, rye and some sweet molasses and malt. The malt hits the tongue first setting the stage a wave of fruity hops, almost sweet, and then the rye balances it off with a deliciously fry finish that leaves me wanting to follow each sip with another bigger one. Fantastic beer, going to try and always have a few of these cold.

Another great offering from one of the finest breweries out there. (597 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass it is a deep amber almost brown color. It has a creamy head that disapates slowly.
It smells of hops and orange and a light hop aroma.
Tastes great. I get a slight carmel coffee flavor with orange mixed in.
Overall I would say this is one of my favorite beers. (298 characters)

Founder's - Red's Rye P.A. - 12fl oz bottle

Snagged a sixer of this little gem at our friendly neighborhood meat and seafood market, was excited to see it as it is one of the lesser seen Founders brews around here.

Look - Pours a cranberry amber haze with a negligible head. I poured a second glass for a friend a bit more vigorously and was able to get an inch or so of quickly dissipating head.

Smell - Citrus, hops, and rye, not overly aromatic but properly done.

Taste - A hoppy rye bite with a tasty bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - A cool refreshing treat, quite a smooth 6.6%.

Overall - This is a great brew, perfect fusion of rye and hops, would have this again for sure. (679 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I can see why this beer has such a high rating..bought it in a 12oz bottle and poured it into a pint glass. Great head on the beer that retained all the way through creating a great lacing on the glass. Not an overly hoppy beer but you know it is an IPA and a good one at that. Great balance of the flavors creates a high drinkable beer that I would definitely buy again. (371 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I stared into that crazy old man face and found it impossible to resist. He either wants to show me his bird feeder collection, hand me a treasure map, or eat my soul.

Appearance: Opaque and deep amber with a thick and creamy tan head that lasts forever.

Smell: Guava, pineapple, strawberry, and grapefruit.When people say exotic tropical fruit, this is what that should mean. The pale ale part of this is also present with pine and caramel, but not enough to hinder or mask the delicious tropical bouquet. In short, this smells like paradise.

Taste: My first impression of this wasn't of a specific flavor, but was that of perfect balance instead. It's delicious and drinkable. The pine is more felt than tasted, which is a pleasant change, and lingers through the aftertaste. I get the tropical fruit smorgasbord toned by rye bread and wrapped up in an earthen caramel blanket.

Mouthfeel: This is full and well carbonated, but gets a little watery on the finish.

The Verdict: This is really well crafted, I love it and highly recommend you go find it asap. It's clear this was made with thoughtfulness, care, and love, just as I expect from Founders. (1,159 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 12oz Bottle.

The beer pours a brilliant amber with a creamy tan head that holds fantastically and laces well. The smell is of caramelized sugar, citrusy & piney hops, and spicy grains. The taste is fantastic, spicy rye, floral, citursy, spicy, and piney hops. The flavor also has plenty of caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is creamy and medium-full. Overall, fantastic beer, i could drink this all the time. (454 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass.

A. What a great looking beer this is. Pours red with orange highlights. Clear with lots of carbonation bubbles racing up to form a foamy two fingered head. A tan head with a glowing red tint. A frothy head that leaves sticky globs of lace sticking to the pint glass to the very end.
S. The aroma of piney and citrusy hops. The sweet bitter smell of a pine forest mixed with citrusy pink grapefruit that was just sliced in half. A sweet caramel malt presence with a touch of rye malts.
T. Red's Rye is an impressive tasting ryepa. Bitter piney zing of hops upfront blended with a citrusy grapefruit rind of citrusy hops. Sweet malt character of caramel that balances out nicely. Rich caramel and whole sugar grain. The finish is bitter sweet and dry with more hops lingering, caramel, and notes of spice and rye. This is the best tasting Rye beer I've had so far...
M. The mouthfeel is resinous and crisp. A medium bodied beer with plenty of carbonation. Clean with a dry bitter finish.
D. Founders is a great brewery. Red's Rye is an exceptional session beer. Plenty of hops for my liking balanced with a strong malt profile of caramel and rye. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I say highly recommended! (1,231 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Review reflects both on-tap and bottle versions, which I feel are identical.

A: Pours a hazy brownish red with a one finger head that dissipates into a cap that lasts the entire beer. Laces very nicely. There are some nice-looking golden highlights in this beer, though head retention could be a tad better for the style.

S: Hops, some sweetness, and very little, if any, rye is noticeable. There is a nice tropical citrus-like hop fruitiness to this one. Very DIPA like in the aroma, the bottle says 70IBUs, so I can see why. With aromatic hops this powerful, it's hard to get past them and look for other complexities. Very aromatic.

T: Hop bomb. This tastes like a very well done DIPA, especially at 70 IBU (approx. the same as HopSlam). This one is reasonably balanced with citrus + tropical fruit like hops that dominate the flavor profile. Bitterness is perfectly dynamic and allows easy drinking. The finish is quick and clean, there is very little linger bitterness. A tinge of malt comes through on the finish at times.
Perfect for a DIPA, but for a Rye beer, I have to admit that I can't taste any Rye. Still looking... nope, no rye at all here, but I do not care. Founder's has created a beautiful variation of the DIPA with dynamic bitterness and a refreshing hop profile.

M: Medium bodied, perfectly carbonated, and sort of creamy. Doesn't have the thin or syrupy feel of some D/IPAs.

D: I can drink a giant mug of this, oh wait, I have. As drinkable as hop bombs can get.

O: My favorite hop bomb, pick this one up if you like em'. (1,553 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Impresive. Poured from bottle into oversized wine glass (only had one; didn't want to miss anything). I was immediately struck by the beauty of this transluscent, heady winner. Good retention, lacing, beautiful reddish-amber color. It gets better.

The scent is absolutely amazing, although I am partial to well-crafted, hoppy ryes. It's hoppy and fruity--not just orange/grapefruit ... peach, blueberry, apricot, and clementine show through; sweet (but not sticky sweet, just pleasant sweetness). And then, there are the rye characteristics. I don't know if I've ever smelled anything so heavenly. Wait, do I smell myrrh?! No burial, here, although there's something in the nose I don't, too, but I mean that in a good way. I've never spent so much time nosing a beer. I bet heaven smells like this ... I promise to be good, forever.

I had trouble tasting all of the bouquet, but that's typical, in my experience, of complex, red ryes. Nothing to complain about. Sweet but dry.

I love the dryness and body, and, as with the nose, this is the paragon of drinkability. Added to the top of my list of favorite beers--although imperfect, this may be my favorite beer ever. I did not expect this; RIS, IPA and 2X IPA are my favorites. It's so good, I can't drink another beer or eat or brush my teeth. All I can think about is how incredible this beer is.

I sure hope I can find a place around Columbus that sells these in sixes. If not, the seven hour drive to Grand Rapids suddenly seem justifiable. How long do growlers last, again? (1,534 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Fresh bottle poured into pint glass.

Pours copper red with beige head that leaves thick lacing and nice cover throughout.

As soon as I cracked the bottle citrus floral hop aromas burst out of the bottle, this was a very good sign. Nose has some big citrus notes with malt and spicy earthy rye right behind it.

Taste is all sorts of awesome. Big hop citrus and bitterness, with red ale malt toastiness and rye earthy spice. Alcohol is nearly hidden. I'm in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel is full creamy and sticky. Drinkability is at an extreme level, dangerous.

Overall this an incredible beer. An instant favorite. I will always pick some of this up if it's fresh. I hope to find this on draft. (702 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +14%

12oz brown bottle. Cloudy, dark amber with ruby hues. Healthy frothy head with a retaining clingy lace.

Massive hoppy, herbal, fruity esters, and grapefruit aroma. Lots of spice. Sweetish too, with a nice malty base beneath. Some major dank / resiny stuff going on in the nose too.

Even, slightly chewy mouthfeel. Incredibly creamy on the palate. Big juicy fruity flavors of red delicious apples, some pear and peach. Crisp twang from the rye, and spice that segues nicely into the prickly spicy/herbal hops, and their supporting flash of citric bitterness. Floral softness in the hops, with resiny oils that stick. The alcohol seems to embed its warmth into the palate, creating an estery/fume-like presence. A bit dry in the finish with apple-y notes, rye husk, and flower pith.

This is one hell of an offering. Amazing flavors and overall character! Love it. (870 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +14%

Founders- Red Rye

12 oz bottle purchased from Capone's- Norristown, PA

A- Golden reddish brown with a small sticky head.
S- Strong pine hops with rye/ carraway seeds.
T- Strong carraway seed rye flavored malt hits you at first followed by a pungent pine and oily green hops.
M- Strong dominating flavors in the first few sips but this mellows out and finishes big and chewy.

Overall- Boy, this was good! 6 of these would be quite an evening! (444 characters)

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company