Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,646 | Hads: 5,044
4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Founders Red's rye ale

Serving: Bottle

Poured into a St. Bernadus Tulip

Founders Red's Rye Ale pours a cloudy red with a nice lush, creamy head. This is my fourth, and I can see a nice sticky ring around the glass of every drink I've taken. Very impressive.

Smells like fresh, fruity hops. You just want to dive into it.

You take a drink, and it just coats your tounge with a hop bite, then bites back with a peppery rye feel. Feels great going down.

This is truly a beer to be savored, Founders once again has set the standard. (537 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Went to Founders over the weekend had it on tap there, a shame this isn't bottled anymore due to a short shelf life. This is a world class brew, easily the best rye beer I've had. (180 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer poured very slightly reddish/tan body with a small off-white head.

Huge thick grainy rye and caramel malt nose with layers of fresh piney, citrusy hops. Beautiful hoppy nose, this is right up there with Bear Republic or SNBF.

Taste is medium bodied with a slightly grainy mouth-feel. Big malt taste, caramel, rye and some faint spices. Big resiny hops, citrus, peaches, black pepper, citrus peel and grapefruit. A slightly tannic and herbal tea like quality again with some peach tea like notes as well. Very bitter from start to finish with a long lingering bitterness in the finish.

A fantastic American Rye beer. I know it's 6.8%, but I could drink this all day long. More please. (702 characters)

12oz bottle

Pours a clear amber red with a little orange and a thick foamy off-white head that lasted for a good while and left a whole new level of lacing.

Mouthwatering aromas! The caramel malts are picked up first, but are paired with citrus hops that blend quite well together.

This is delicious! Citrus hops hit first, but do not overwhelm the other flavors. The caramel malt mixed with spicy rye flavors kick in briefly after the hops and the combination of the flavors work into the aftertaste with the hops just barely standing out.

Medium body. At times thicker than others. Lively carbonation.

A wonderful beer with great flavor! I love that the flavors are distinct and have a delightful balance of hops and malt. This is a well crafted brew. (758 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer is one of my favorites. It pours a beautiful copper, amber color with a small head that dissipates pretty quickly. The smell is my favorite part of this beer. It is a delicious hoppy, fruity, floral smell that just begs you to take a nice gulp. The flavor matches the smell, with fruity, citrus-y hops on front end that are rounded out with a really unique and delicious rye taste.
This beer is also very drinkable for 6.5+ and could easily be a session beer. This may not be for everyone, but in my opinion this is a unique and delicious creation from Founders(which is rapidly becoming a favorite brewery of mine). (626 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Murky ruby amber in appearance. Fluffy head falls to a nice collar of lacing around my tulip glass. Aromas fill my nose with grapefruit hops, sweet malt, and tangy rye. Tastes of a balance of sweet sticky malts, spicy rye, and grapefruit. Some carmel mixed up in there as well. Bold but simple, I love it! Has a nice crisp finish to it. Mouth feel is nicely carbonated with a thick chewiness to it. I love rye beers so the drinkability is fantastic for me. Incredibly tasty! This beer would complement a rare steak off the grill. Highly recommended! (549 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

A: A rather unique look here. Very reddish brown a little hazy. Good creamy head.

S: Really the perfect smell. Lots of hops like an IPA but very bold. It's not really very floral as much as bitter. Hints of malt. Fruit notes as well. Very nice.

T: Wow, how this beer acts is insanely perfect. It's smooth then the hops hit but the bitterness is there and then it fades without a gross linger. The only reason it's a 4.5 and not a 5 is because of the complexity. It has some great bitter notes and hints of malt and other things but not really any other big flavors.

M: Sits smooth and with a medium body. Flavors really develop on the palate with the malt hitting first and then some bitterness.

Overall this is a must try. I remember grabbing this on tap at Founders and hating it because I was a beer noob. I couldn't handle the bitterness. I decided to grab a bottle down in SC... Sad that I moved away from Founders :'( ... and this second go at it really was impressive. It has all the hops of an IPA without the great amount of floralness. The way the beer handles on the palate is perfect. Certainly a must try. (1,124 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Served from a bottle, but poured into a glass. A very very orange-red brew with a haze. Great color!

S: Hops Hops Hops! Hops, Caramel and Rye hit the nose with a wonderful combination.

T: A great crisp rye and hop explosion. A strong hop in the back of the throat in-between sips.

M: A smooth carbonation with a perfect mouthfeel. Tangy and pungent.

O: I love this beer. Happened to fall upon it without knowing much about its Beer Advocate ratings. But man this beer is real good. I love founders. (505 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a Guinness pint glass.

A - Dark red, two finger head. Nice retention and quite a bit of lace around the glass

S - Rye and fruity malts. Some grapefruit and a little bit if spice. All goes very well together.

T - WOW, amazing. So so smooth, nice thick malts. Very creamy with bits of hop and bitterness. Also a little bit of warmth to end it. Unique and eye opening.

M - Agreed with previous reviews, this beer feel so silky and smooth. Velvety smooth with tiny bits of carbonation.

O - This beer it utterly awesome. The rye and hops blend amazingly well together to give a unique treat. So smooth and sweet, I am super impressed. (660 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Presentation: Poured into my favorite drinking glass

Appearance: Amber redish/brown, about 1/3 in of off-white head, lots of small bubbles clinging to the side of the glass

Smell: Reminds me of caramel and candied orange

Taste: Citrus at first, the some spice/toasted bread and finished with a nutty bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Very rich mouthfeel

Drinkability: I found this very drinkable and a nice departure from the IPA's I normally drink

Serving type: single bottle, wish I had got a couple more (502 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

This is one amazing beer. Thanks go out to my co-worker, Joe, for sharing this with me.

Pours to a really dark red amber color, almost brown, with a thin white head that sticks around for quite a long while. The words I've used to describe the color of this beer simply don't do it justice.

The smell is very bubblegum hoppy with a well blended malt backbone. Smells like amarillo. Very citrusy and sweet.

The taste is perfect. I've been craving this taste since the last time I had a Gumballhead. This is even better than that, even, though not QUITE as refreshing. Has a bitter malt to it, from the rye perhaps, complimented well by the juicy amarillo hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is a bit odd. Very thick, chewy, and grainy, but still seems to be plenty light and refreshing. I only wish this beer were available here in Iowa, because I would drink the crap out of it. (881 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to bozebus17 for allowing me to try this drink while I helped him brew his 'Jolly Good' porter last Saturday afternoon. He said it was one of his highest rated beers here on BA and after drinking this beer (which took me over an hour!), it'll probably be one of my highest rated beers as well.

Appearance was awesome. Orange on the bottom and turned into a darker copper at the top. Huge rocky tan-ish head that dissipated a little but maintained a very nicely until the very end, as did the lacing. Carbonation bubbles were also prominent.

The smell was very floral and citrusy. Different spices were detected as well.

The drink was very delicious. I sensed a good amount of raspberry with a touch of fig. Very intriguing indeed! As the drink warmed up, the bitterness of the hops was definitely more noticeable and I had the lingering of the hops at the back of my throat for a while.

For seeing as many carbonation bubbles as I did, I expected this brew to be kind of rough. That was not the case. This drink was so creamy, smooth, rich and just...well...solid. This one was definitely a sipper. Like I stated previously, it took me a little over an hour to drink.

After drinking this beer, I can say I owe bozebus17 a great debt of gratitude for introducing me to my new found friend. I will definitely be making a point to pick up a bottle or 6 next time I visit my fav beer store! (1,399 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured a very vibrant red with about a finger of head into a pint glass. Can smell a hint of rye along with a few qualities of a pale ale. Wow, what a taste! I can see why this style is really up and coming. A full taste unlike most I've ever had. This beer, while aesthetically pleasing, also has such a great flavor...bready yet not overwhelming. (348 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Received a bottle of this from TheodorHerzl in a recent trade. Love Founders, love Rye’s, gotta love this right? Drank from my brand new Dogfish Head pint glass while watching Lost.

Appearance- Pours a nice hazy copper orange with a huge three finger cream head (got this brew yesterday, probably should have let it rest a couple more days… oops!). Once the head manages to die down it leaves a mountainous cap with crazy sticky lacing.
Smell- Boldly hoppy with lots of spicy grapefruit and orange. Plenty of caramel malt and something resembling bubblegum to go along with the hops. Clean and unique.
Taste- Starts with loads of rich toffee and gently sweet brown sugar. Nice spicy rye is definitely present although slightly subdued from the crisp hop bitterness. Loads of floral and citrus hops reminiscent of grapefruit, candied orange, ginger and bubble gum. Very earthy and nice with a gently sweet and very satisfying aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very thick, full body with a smooth cask like feel (although it might be from not letting it settle).
Drinkability- This beer absolutely rocks. I assumed it would be good but I never thought it would be this good. It’s terrifically balanced (maybe leaning a hair toward the hoppy side, but not by much). Awesome brew and a huge thanks to Matt! (1,295 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Amber/copper in color, with a big creamy head of off-white foam
Aroma-Wonderful bouquet of fresh, citrussy hops
Taste-Big juicy hops, big juicy citrus with rye spiciness nicely melded throughout.
Tasty and delicious-was an excellent match with fresh, homemade tacos.
Get Some!!! (313 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

A big "thanks" to warriorsoul for hooking me up with this gem of a Bier... A 12 ounce bottle, which poured a deep, rich amber colour, a big pillowy head and a lace that lingered throughout the glass.

Hops galore in the nose. Notes of fresh grapefruit, malt and some residual sweetness.

Great mouthfeel. Somewhat chewy. Snappy fruit flavors mixed with hops and malty goodness throughout. The rye offers that extra something - a whitty snap, if you will - and something I truly enjoyed. The hops are viscous and piney, but overly so. A very good balance, despite the somewhat dry finish.

Truly an amazing find. My first dive into the rye ale category, and certainly not my last...

Prosit! (699 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Superb brew. Pour slowly or else be prepared to wait a while for the head to dissipate. Pours a very dark amber red with a great, rich, forever frothy very off-white head that lasts all the way down. Lacing is also heavy and has excellent retention. A very dark resin slips out of the bottle if held long enough. One of the best looking brews I have had, honestly. Smell is of strong hops with a very sweet citrus twang. Very tempting. This is an excellent, full bodied, complex brew. Rye malt is powerful, so are the hopps. There is citrus here and something else that I can't pinpoint within the hopps that make this hop heavy beer extremely well balanced, smooth and enjoyable. The ABV of 6.8% is easily disguised by the complex flavors. This is a home run by Founders. A must try for all that appreciate great a great brew. (827 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Oh man. This is a WONDERFUL beer.
It has everything you could possible want in a beer. It pours a deep ruby with a pleasant cream head.
The smell is mostly that of wonderfully citrusy hops. Mmmm. Then there is a touch of rye mixed in there too.
Oh man, and the taste is amazing. A strong blast of citrus followed by dark rye. Mmmmm, dark rye.
Man, I could drink this all day. Too bad it's 7%, or I would! (409 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Received as a gift for my birthday from Matt, one of my beer reps. He knows I have a thing for rye beers

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer is a dark orange-rust with a big copper-flecked off white head. Large carbonation bubbles in head took a bit of time to dissipate, leaving some lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma is a big bouquet of sweet and spicy citrus. Reminds me of how much I love Amarillo hops.

Sweet peppery malt plays tug of war on the tongue with the citrusy hops.

Large carbonation bubbles are a bit coarse upfront and somewhat distracting, but as the beer warmed up, became a but softer. I'll bet this beer is pretty much perfect if served on cask.

Every sip invites another. If Founders was sold in NYS, this would definitely be one of the staples in my fridge. (810 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

12 oz. Bottle. Bought at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, OH.

This beer pours a clear medium red/amber color with a thick off white head and thick sticky lacing.

Big citrus, earthy and malty sweet notes in the nose.

The flavor has a slight earthy bitterness followed by a citrus hop flavor balance by a big sweet malt/caramel backbone.

Very balanced and drinkable beer. (368 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

For the longest time, I always strolled past this beer in the cooler at my local and went straight for the Centennial IPA. Now that I've had it, I can't get enough. On with the review!

Appearance- A beautiful ruby, with some orange hues. Thin white head which lingers right on the surface, leaving a nice lacing.

Aroma- Hops. A nice, crisp, hoppy scent reaches out to the nose.

Taste- The caramel malts are there, but very subtle. The hops dominate the palate, and the 68 IBUs are present. Awesome.

Mouthfeel- A little bite, with medium carbonation. Not too overwhelming.

Drinkability- I could definitely drink a sixer of this in an evening.

One of Founder's best.

Cheers (678 characters)

V.07
I have been drinking these for some time now, and cannot believe I haven't reviewed it yet.
Dark, hazy amber with medium-light head and little retention or lace.
Where the appearance doesn't completely awe you, the nose punches you into submission. Aggressively floral, agressively hoppy, followed by a nice sweet aroma.
An easy drinker, this has complexity but doesn't not fail to merely refresh. Medium-bodied, this starts dry and finishes very quickly.
Bitter, to say the least, but has balance & focus. Highly recommended.

Update: This is one of the better beers I've ever encountered and had the pleasure of knowing. Sublime. This is so near perfect, I'd like to know what perfect is... (704 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

This Founders offering pours a bright brown amber with substantial head that never leaves. Aroma is big and spicy, with some citrusy hops and piney notes as well. Thankfully, you can smell the malt backing for all of those hops. On the palate, this big, smooth beer starts off with exploding bitterness, then shifts to some sourness at the mid palate. The finish and "burn" at the end seem like classic rye to me. Overall, this is a wonderful beer that is unique, interesting, and tasty to boot. Very well done. (511 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

A red light ruby color, with touches of amber. An off white colored head forms, about an inch thick. A citrusy hoppy frgrance, with touches of malty sweetness, followed by a hint of spiciness from the rye. The taste blends well starting the sweet malt, then the rye takes over, then it layers to grapefruit and grassy flavors. The rye and the hops linger on the palate for sometime. A even balanced medium bodied feel, it glides across the palate leaving a slight arid feeling. This is a very good beer and is quickly becoming a favorite. The 6.8 percent alchol it would be hard to consider this a session beer, but man is it hard to not have two or three. (656 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Red's Rye P.A. pours pours a slightly hazy deep amber with a small white head. The nose is big and hoppy; full of grapefruit and grass and caramel and bread crust and yummy.

The flavor starts out sweet with toasty notes with some fruitiness - something in there reminds me of strawberry jam. This is all followed by a big, spicy hop punch with all kinds of hoppy/grapefruit flavors, which leads to a nice smooth bitterness that lingers for a good while and is welcome to do so.

Overall, this beer freaking rocks and I may need to make sure I have some in my fridge at all times. (581 characters)

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company