Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,947 | Reviews: 1,643

3.01/5  rDev -28%

Served in a wine glass.
A beautiful copper amber color with a thick creamy head. Reminiscent of a Guinness

The aroma is spicy hops and a big malt that creates a slight alcohol finish

The taste is reminiscent of a Scottish style. The hops and the rye create a consistent bitter that lingers on the tongue. The lack of definition in the taste makes me want a different beer as I expected a little hop taste. I will admit that a slight pine hop flavor shows but weak at best

Meh

3.01/5  rDev -28%

I love rye beer, but was very disappointed by this one. If I wanted an overhopped IPA I would have ordered one (given the name I suppose I did).

A - Looks very good, at least. Beautiful red color, clear, moderate lacing.

S - Hop crazy, mainly pine and spice, maybe a hint of rye in there somewhere.

T - NO RYE! One of my favorite beers was the Rye Bock from Grumpy Troll, so I wanted to give this a try, but all it is is extremely hopped with a lot of pine, citrus, and mouth drying qualities. Rye in name only.

M - The hops are so much that they practically leave your throat feeling dehydrated--never a good thing.

D - Even if this was just marked as an IPA I'd find the hops too intense for my personal tastes, but if that's your style then you might like it. Just don't expect any rye.

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

This is a beer caramel in color. Once you bring it up to your nose you can smell hints of citrus. Once you taste this beer you can taste the hops as well as some slight citrus flavors. This also has a good amount of hops, but does have a very strong aftertaste.

3.06/5  rDev -26.8%

Thanks to whoever sent this as an extra, I'm sorry I dug this one out of notes and can't recall who sent it. I apologize!

reviewed from notes taken 7/18/11

A: Large three finger soap sud head with small bubbles conglomerating with medium sized bubbles. A strong look of unset red jello dominates the glass. Stained glass mixtures of reds, oranges, and yellows shimmer in the light.

S: Smells like barley oatmeal. Very malty with a savory germinated greens smell. Hops come through the middle with dominantly medicinal qualities. Straight forward rye beer with a fair amount of medicine hops.

T: Hops with the full range of medicine cabinet flavors. A bizarrely strong acidity that hangs in the back of the throat far too long. An early toffee malt note is sand blasted by dusty hops. There's a rustic flavor character that's intriguing, but it is quickly swallowed by hop medicine. Not so dynamic or pleasant. A let down in the taste.

M: Soft in the mouth with the comfort of a baby blanket. The baby blanket is eventually ripped to shreds by brutally strong aspirin dryness. Bitter medicine lingers, an almost chemical like metallic note proves itself to be an even harsher leader. This beer is rot with mouth-feel strife!

O: This beer was kind of a let down for me. The acidity seems to just come out of nowhere. I have a hard time believing this is the intended state of this beer. However, a strong hop presence really seems like it would dominate the beer in any form. Currently, the hop serves more as a preservative than a flavor ingredient. I'd like to retry this, but I won't get my hopes up, or make it an item I'd trade directly for..

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A- pours a deep dark reddish brown, very hazy, a half finger white head appears and dissipates fairly quickly, spotty lacing

S- kinda spicy smelling, piney hops noticeable as well, sweet caramel notes sneak through, im not really picking up on any rye

T- this is a pretty bitter beer, im not picking up on any of the sweet flavor that i smelled, bitter hops, spicy and dry, im actually a fan of rye bread and i am not getting any rye flavor in this, this isn't even enjoyable

M- smooth medium body, decent balance of carbonation, dry finish, not bad but nothing special

D- im having a hard time finishing this one, it tastes like im sucking on bitter hops that have a bit of spice to it, not for me

3.09/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours an awesome looking, somewhat cloudy amber colour with a BIG frothy/chunky tan head that subsides somewhat quickly but leaves globs of residue on the glass. Great looking stuff.

The aroma has a sourness to it, along with a bit of sweetness from caramel and dark berries blended with some bread and hints of dirt. Not bad, but something just seemed a bit...off.

Flavour continues the tart/sweet mixture of fruit and bread flavours from the rye, and also throws some unexpected smokiness into the mix. Strike that: it's not true smokiness, but a cross between that and what I would imagine a burnt piece of wood might taste like. It's not necessarily an out of place flavour, but it's not one hundred percent "right" for the flavour profile either. Didn't love said flavour, but also didn't hate it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a chewy slickness to it.

I can't put my finger on this beer. Some sips I was of the mindset that it was a well crafted, interesting beer, but on others it seemed like a jumbled mess. Weird. I normally like rye in beers but wasn't completely convinced with this one. It's complex and caught my attention, but didn't make me completely enjoy the experience. Huh.

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

A: It comes out a very dark, and...well...red amber! Not much head on this thing but it's got a very nice color.

S: It smells hoppy and has a punchy citrus scent. Smells of oranges, tangerine and apricot.

T: It has a hop kick to it, and I don't really pick up the rye. It just tastes like an IPA, albeit a nice one. I get the idea..."rye PA"...but it should probably be in the IPA category instead of rye. I can taste it a tad, but only well after the hop bitterness has faded away after a sip.

M: It has a decent mouthfeel. There's a decent pep to it, and finishes medium-dry.

O: Overall it's an ok IPA but I can get an IPA a dime a dozen that taste like this. I would really like more rye flavor to make it unique.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Very drinkable, refreshing, a nice malt/hop balance. I picked this one by accident, but it didn't disappoint me. I don't usually care for this style, but the malty character followed by a nice hoppy aroma leftover in my nose made this beer enough of a happy accident. I wouldn't do it twice.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company