2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Ratings: 4,286 | Reviews: 1,617 | Show All Ratings:
oberon

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Firts of many Founders brews Iam gonna partake in over the next few days,pours a deep amver with a nice fluffy two finger head leaving a nice sheet of lace behind.Hops,hops and more cirus,piney hop with a little lemon wedge in there made me wanna tear into this one,I am almost at a lack of words on the flavors and refreshing complexities of this beer,spruce and piney hop with a nice firm nutty malt backbone finishing with a perfect tartness wich just caps this off making for the almost perfect rounded beer.Damn why did I pass this up in the past I will be bringing this home with me back to NC for sure.

05-19-2005 19:52:28 | More by oberon
goindownsouth

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

A big "thanks" to warriorsoul for hooking me up with this gem of a Bier... A 12 ounce bottle, which poured a deep, rich amber colour, a big pillowy head and a lace that lingered throughout the glass.

Hops galore in the nose. Notes of fresh grapefruit, malt and some residual sweetness.

Great mouthfeel. Somewhat chewy. Snappy fruit flavors mixed with hops and malty goodness throughout. The rye offers that extra something - a whitty snap, if you will - and something I truly enjoyed. The hops are viscous and piney, but overly so. A very good balance, despite the somewhat dry finish.

Truly an amazing find. My first dive into the rye ale category, and certainly not my last...

Prosit!

05-11-2005 11:34:51 | More by goindownsouth
rousee

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

This is a good reason for loving rye beers. Cherry-cranberry amber color. No head, slight lace. They have a sketch of some guy on the bottle who I assume is Red--he looks like a maniac like myself.

Smell and taste are apple cider-ish musty malt but musty in a good way. Exceptional in fact. Yes, you can also taste but not smell the rye elements. This dances on the tongue and is still smooth as far as mf and drinkability are concerned.

05-11-2005 02:43:22 | More by rousee
meathookjones

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After having this on tap at the brewpub I had to pick up a six of it. Now that I only have one bottle left I wish I would have got a case, damn this is some tasty stuff. Dark reddish color with a decent tan head. Rings of lacing were left by the floating mound of foam that remained. Quit a hoppy nose with citric and some floral hops jumping out with a nice crisp rye undertone. Light sweet caramel maltiness is there as well. Hops and rye are quite an appetizing combination. Flavor is similar with a nice hop bite to start is off. Plenty of rye and malt to balance out the bitterness. Light caramel, grapefruit and a bit of pine hops all blend together nicely over the rye. Bitter hoppy rye finish. Damn this is some tasty and smooth stuff. Really creamy medium body. Goes down oh so smooth with a light prickliness from the hops. This would be a staple in the fridge if I could get it locally. Almost like a Hop Rod Rye junior. Great stuff.

05-09-2005 17:04:28 | More by meathookjones
Truh

New Hampshire

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Told I had an acerbic wit with this one on 5/7/2005. 12-oz. bottle gifted from Warriorsoul poured in a shaker glass.

Clinging futon, summer weight, of filmed head that sticks a good bit, laces nicely too. Glowing, practically neon, red hue with haze but still a great deal of ascending action keeping things interesting on the eye. Very hoppy on the nose, and I begin to wonder if rye has some green characteristics to it; some graduated malt essence and a core of white pepper seeps through the hairs. Very smooth, almost silky mouth feel of hop oil riding in a side car to the lemon, rose hip and ginger ale sweetness, although I would almost say it had a lemon grass aspect as well.

Completely gratifying pour with a wonderful medium body to it, perhaps imparted by the rye? What does the rye do? Time to try the black rye!

05-07-2005 22:23:30 | More by Truh
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A splendiferous shade of luminous, dark coppery, reddish orange with a huge number of suspended particles. The crown is nearly as impressive. It's orange-tinted light caramel in color and milkshake creamythick in consistency. The lasting rockiness of the lid, as well as messy rings and small scraplets of lace, put the final touches on a masterpiece of an appearance.

Founders Red's Rye smells like a DIPA... all brassy, sassy hops and caramel malt. It's hard to appreciate much rye given the significant hop load, but I'm not complaining. As long as I get some spicy rye on the palate, I'll be a happy man. The aroma is amazing, with power and personality to spare. Chinook (among others) is in the house methinks.

Upon drinking, I'm still reminded of an IPA/DIPA hybrid. The hops aren't quite up front enough for it to fit comfortably into either style, but then it was never meant to be anything other than a kick-ass rye beer. And a kick-ass rye beer it most certainly is. The huge, rock-ribbed malt backbone is composed of sticky caramel and tantalizingly spicy rye. I repeat my oft uttered plea: 'please craft brewers, use more rye in your beer'.

There's an intoxicating (both literally and figuratively) interplay between bold, caramel-soaked chunks of candied grapefruit and earthy, pumpernickel-spicy toasted rye. Red's is lusciously sweet with a countering, resinous bitterness and a candy apple zing. It all adds up to flavor perfection, especially since new vistas of flavor are opening up as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is medium-full, lightly syrupy and delightfully chewy with a perfect amount of subdued carbonation.

The finish is ultra-long, which gives me the chance to contemplate this beer's many charms without hastening its departure. But all good things must come to an end and I am compelled to continue drinking until my single bottle is no more. Rarely have I been so despondent to see an empty (although nicely lace-encrusted) glass before me.

I haven't yet sampled all of Founders's offerings, but I'd be amazed to discover one that I like as well as Red's Rye. It's easily the equal of Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, if not quite as assertive. An insanely hopped ale spiced with rye is the stuff of my beery dreams and I wish to thank Founders for making those dreams come true. And deejaydan, without whom this would not have been possible.

05-06-2005 15:37:54 | More by BuckeyeNation
BeerFink

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a beautiful clear deep amber color with plenty of depth. A rocky head crops up, which leaves sticky lacing as this brew is greedily imbibed. The aroma is absolutely knockout. Huge floral esters massage the nostrils before sublimely bitter hops assuage any inhibitions. Flavor begins smooth, with some sweet malts. Rye kicks in with an interesting grainy spiciness before the pure citrous hop oils sink into your brain. Finish is citric hops with a calming herbal quality. Never had a rye beer before, but I need to try out a few more after this one. I was really surprised in a pleasant way.

05-05-2005 02:56:41 | More by BeerFink
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

I have come to realize that Founder's Brewing is one of the best up and coming breweries out of the midwest. So far, I have not been disappointed with any of their brews.

Appearance of this beer was deep brown leather with hints of orange and red pearing through. The head left nice lacing down my chalice. There was a decent amount of yeast and other remnants of what I assume to be leftover from dryhopping. THe smell had a wonderful hop punch that left you salivating for a taste. There was definate citrusy notes in the nose. The taste was supremely balanced with a bitter beginning and a dryness in the finish. The rye seemed to have add it's two cents in the finish with the grainy dryness. The bitterness was exceptionally present, but was not as heavy as a IIPA. Overall, this is stuff you could drink all night and love every once of it. I foresee Founder's coming out with some phenomenal beers to add to their already fabulous line (i.e. Centennial IPA and Breakfast stout)

04-22-2005 23:25:24 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
rhoadsrage

3.98/5  rDev -5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-deep amber clear body with good carbonation. The head is a thin film of off-white foam.

S- Nice floral hop nose with some sweet maltyness and a bit of spiciness from the rye.

T-Very nice grapefruit hops flavor that grows and grows. A nice hint of pale malt and just a bit of spiciness at the finish.

M-Smooth mouthfeel with a nice fizziness that gives it more body. no astringency or alcohol warmth.

D- Nice twist on a red ale. The rye is very subtle but it gives some balance to the nice hoppiness of the beer. The hops have good complexity and taste very crisp and clean.

04-21-2005 03:22:20 | More by rhoadsrage
beveragecaptain

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer has a cloudy, dark amber appearance. Citrus hop aroma, along with a smell that is like freshly cut wood. Spicy smell too. The flavor starts with a sweet malt presence, then becomes tangy. This is followed by a dose of fresh hops, and finished with a tangy fruit flavor and spice. This beer makes fantastic use of different flavors. It is somehow both full flavored and crisp. Great drinkability. I'll definitely buy this again.

04-20-2005 00:59:49 | More by beveragecaptain
RedDiamond

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a screw-top bottle, Red’s Rye yields a bold citrus-hop smell (Cascade?) emanating from a clouded russet body full of lumpy particulate yeasties. The resinous hop flavor is up front, taking no hostages, while the bittering trails behind modestly. I don’t especially notice any contribution from the rye.

This dry-hopped red ale is easy drinking and produces a hearty satisfying belch of hop delight. Special thanks to cmaruschak.

04-15-2005 23:58:46 | More by RedDiamond
mntlover

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a slightly hazy dark amber with a finger and a half cream colored head. Leaves behind some good sheet lace.
Aroma is fruity and malty nice crisp grapefruit dominates, apricot and other citrus aromas underneath. Aroma is nice a change from what I was expecting from a rye beer.
Taste is great malty full of zest, not over carbonated but it definatly adds something to the taste. Doesn't take long for the hops to kick in nice crisp citrus fruity flavors and a lingering bitterness. Diffrent from other rye beers that I have hadthis is quite tasty.
Mouthfeel is on the right side of medium rye may help in the feel but not much in the taste.
Drinkability is great a wonderful beer easy drinkingmalt and hops both going for it.Founders is my new favorite brewery wish I could buy locally, this stuff is great. Wish to think merlin48 for this wonderful beer.

04-15-2005 20:51:50 | More by mntlover
MrSeth

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured with just a slight head, it settled quickly. I can smell the hops right away. That is the big invitation for me, a really kind hoppy nose. The taste is sweet and bitter all at once. I'm reminded of orange marmelade and toast. The mouthfeel is medium-heavy, with no rough edges at all. Drinkability? I may have to come back to this... I can see myself enjoying a few of these, but I can't honestly say how many or how often.. (TBC)

I'm also having a glass of Scott's Selection Royal Brackla from 1976 and it goes very well with an ale like this. And thanks again to John at Federal Wines & Spirits for hooking me up with another bottle of good beer. Cheers.

04-10-2005 02:16:57 | More by MrSeth
warriorsoul

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to Nick over at Bauer Wine & Spirits for hanging on to a sixer of this latest and hopefully greatest offering from Founders.
Pours a deep dark cherry, boarding on brown w/ almost a full finger of tan head. Lacing is thin and both disappear quickly.
Aromas filled w/ figs, grapes, cherries, lemons...and juicyfruit hops to boot. Very inviting....
The taste is less as intense, but very enjoyable...it is quite bitter up front that doesn't let you fully enjoy all of the flavors I detected in the nose.
It is not thin, which I really like and is quite dry in its finish. No alcohol whatsoever in the taste.
Carbonation could be slightly less, but overall a great brew.
Drinkability is high...not one of my all time favorites, so I cannot justify a 5.
Great job Founders...they are simply awesome!

04-07-2005 23:49:19 | More by warriorsoul
orbitalr0x

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Deep, opaque reddish brown pour with a thick, foamy two finger head sitting nicely atop. Thick lacing on the side of the glass. WHOA! Amazingly beautiful grapefruity citrusy hop nose radiates off this brew. A spicy, caramelly background finds its way in there as well. But those hops...man oh man does those hops smell good!

Caramelly, nutty malts hit my tongue first with spicy rye in the mix as well as mixed fruit tones. The grapefruity, citric, floral hops do not miss a beat and bring a healthy dose of bitterness. This is a well balanced brew...with a very nice malt/hop mix. The rye spiciness gives it a nice unique twist. Yum!

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy with a medium body...good medium carbonation. Easy to drink. I wish I had a sixer of this stuff as I could enjoy a few more right now. A damn fine beer....I think more brewers should experiment with rye. Cheers to Founders...I look forward to drinking this one again soon!

04-02-2005 05:42:37 | More by orbitalr0x
malty

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. stubby bottle - no freshness date.

Deep murky orange/copper in color with a small off-white head.

Scent of fresh herbally hops with a sweet malt undertone. Smells similar to sugar glazed cinnamon almonds.

Taste is much more balanced than when I had it on tap 5 weeks ago at the source. Still, juicy citrus hops command the stage. The rye malt add sweetness and a solid balance to this pungent gem. Remarkable dry yet very juicy long finish.

Mouthfeel is amazingly lively - but not overcarbonated at all. Medium body with a welcolmed softness.

Drinkability is crazy. With it's superbly crafted hop bombardment - it leaves you craving for more.

I actually enjoyed this more from the bottle. I'm guessing the pint glass I drank this beer from at Founder's could have been a bit dirty (?). I'm definitley going to visit the brewery and have another sit-down with this great beer. Most definitley not a shy beer!

03-28-2005 01:48:13 | More by malty
budsboy

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy nearly-red brown with a thin tan head that sticks to the glass.

Aroma is a complex mix of woody spice, pine, sweet sugary malt and pepper.

This beer is a creeper. It starts off easy. Simple piney hops just out of balance to the malt. Then it becomes darker, deeper. Bolder flavors stroll by, warm seed-like toastiness, alcohol, peppercorn and finishing with a biting sharp bitterness.

Fairly full in the mouth with a stinging clean flow followed by a slightly oily character.

This beer went straight to my brain, don't know would want more than a couple in a sitting. But a real treat that I will meet again.

03-26-2005 22:39:06 | More by budsboy
feloniousmonk

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Blooming red in color, hazy appearance, nice slab of creamy-toned foam sits above.
Nice hops, rich maltiness, very bright and vibrant, lively and luscious.
Taste: big buckets of yum. tingly, delcious hops on the palate, warm, full, jam-packed with flavor. Very nice, full of fruit and malt. Incredibly smooth.
doesn't taste like any rye beer I've ever had, the hops are on the top, and the malt is so ...so, everything.
this is damned nice, and would be an a shoo-in as a regular in my fridge, were I able to purchase it locally...full-bodied, with a soft, lush fruity finish. silky.
And I think I said "yum" already...I'll say it three times, then you know it's true.
Yum.

much thanks to micro for the bottle!

03-24-2005 04:22:11 | More by feloniousmonk
GreenWBush

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer comes out a murky ruby red, with a 1" head that instantly dies to about 1/16". Speckled sticky lace even with the tiny rim of dirty white.

Nosewise this beer is an A+. Incredibly deep, dank hop aroma that smells less of grapefruit than gooey-ripe heirloom cherries...just as rich as a rain-soaked hop farm on processing day. At first I didn't believe these were amarillos at work, and i'm still not sure, but there's a ton of citrus lurking in its thinly biting way.

The taste is awash with rye-assisted bitterness; less real grain or huskiness and more into the heart of dank hop darkness. A little puckery aftertaste that lasts, and if its like other Founders i've had, it will get even tastier by the second or third. A slight bit of red-wine characteristic similar to that in Hercules Douple IPA, few flashbacks of DFH 90 in there as well...

The mouthfeel is oily and substantial like I expected, refreshing and sticky at once. This beer seems incredibly fresh and delicious, and as poorly handled as the beers in this area are, its probably downright heavenly fresh or, preferably, from their home.

03-24-2005 03:39:59 | More by GreenWBush
Reidrover

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

From a 12 oz short necked brown bottle.
Very nice looking beer, i decided to use my Chimay chalice,dark,deep,luxuriant ruby red,slightly hazy with a nice sized light tan head, that dissapeared fast leaveing lashings of lace down the chalice.
Quite a hoppy aroma, almost as spicy as the typical American IPA,nice and invigorating.
mmm i like the taste,nice smooth sweetness at first then overwhelmed by the bitter/peppery hops witha touch of what I imagine to be rye on the sides of the tongue, this all blends in quite well leaving a good impression.
Very very nice feel on the palate,luxuriant and creamy smooth but packing a potent "zing".
Very drinkable ale, If I could get this in Oregon ,it would be a regular in my fridge.
Thanks to JahNoth for this excellent beer!

03-22-2005 04:56:02 | More by Reidrover
MDekker

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured a brownish amber out of a well-decorated, short stubby bottle. Not much head, even after a pretty hard pour. At first sniff I was off-put, but not too badly, and after a second it was tantalizing. A bit of lacing as it went down, but not much.

Tasted quite good...appropriately hopped, with a rich flavor that was pleasantly smooth and balanced. The rye character came through nicely. Excellent mouthfeel. Somewhat woody aftertaste which finished it off well.

Overall, quite a satisfying experience. Founders continues to impress, and I look forward to the rest of their selection.

03-15-2005 01:01:03 | More by MDekker
Todd

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz brown bottle. Cloudy, dark amber with ruby hues. Healthy frothy head with a retaining clingy lace.

Massive hoppy, herbal, fruity esters, and grapefruit aroma. Lots of spice. Sweetish too, with a nice malty base beneath. Some major dank / resiny stuff going on in the nose too.

Even, slightly chewy mouthfeel. Incredibly creamy on the palate. Big juicy fruity flavors of red delicious apples, some pear and peach. Crisp twang from the rye, and spice that segues nicely into the prickly spicy/herbal hops, and their supporting flash of citric bitterness. Floral softness in the hops, with resiny oils that stick. The alcohol seems to embed its warmth into the palate, creating an estery/fume-like presence. A bit dry in the finish with apple-y notes, rye husk, and flower pith.

This is one hell of an offering. Amazing flavors and overall character! Love it.

03-09-2005 03:47:08 | More by Todd
SupaCelt

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Red's Rye fell from the sky and into my glass with a lovely dark amber colouring. Sort of reddish. Go figger. The head was substantial with a ballsy pour. Moderate carbonation. Some chunky lace formation took place. This lace is a tell tale sign that this beer has substance, unlike many of the beers I have had from other companies to this date which give you squat in this area. There is no slacking here. This bad mother is surely flagship quality for the brewery. Propers galore for the creator of this fine brew. Most beer enthusiasts worth their salt can tell you that this is some good beer. It is unique and impressive.

The smell was very herbal. Grass and chrondizzle marijuana tones. Dank. Great hop influence without question. The rye aspects may seem hidden to the untrained or unskilled nose, but they are in the mix working ever so synergistically with the hop bouquet. I am scrutinizing this brew almost one year later to add this fact (1-14-06) as my nose can now better appreciate the unique properties of this stupendous creation. Grainy base aroma underneath. The smell is like no other.

Tastes are hoppy and raw. Grassy chlorophyll and weed flavours are thick. The hop character seems to work very well with the rye to deliver this unique flavourscape. Those with truly discerning palates can taste the greatness here. There is a pronounced bitter effect from both the hops and the rye infusion. Synergy. This tight little brew is crisp and snappy. Flavour like none other. Drinking this brew before trying another less fortunate beer will cripple your ability to taste the inferior brew. This is robust and utterly friggin awesome. If you can handle something of this magnitude you will no doubt fall in love with it. Drinkable for sure. Pussy ass posers beware, this one will bite back atcha ass. By far the most kick ass "mainstay" offered by this brewery. This beer is outdone by precious few from other companies. Stellar.

02-17-2005 03:05:31 | More by SupaCelt
ypsifly

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Dark amber/copper with a generous tan head that hangs around for 5+ minutes leaving a lumpy film on the top with nice lacing.

Smells strongly of floral citrusy hops. I'm reminded of Bell's Two Hearted and Sierra Nevada's Celebration. I like it, but was expecting more rye in the nose.

As in the nose, hops dominate. Still wanting more rye. There's some there, but you really have to search for it over a few sips. Very dry finish.

Nice full mouthfeel. Almost weighted like a good stout. Not a lot of carbonation, but the rush of hops takes its place.

This is a very tasty and drinkable beer. It lacks the presence of rye I was looking for in both taste and aroma, unlike the Black Rye, but its still damn tasty.

02-15-2005 05:47:58 | More by ypsifly
frazbri

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours scarlet-copper and slightly hazy, topped with a copious off-white head. Dominating spruce aroma with a little grapefruit. Carmel, lemon zest and grapefruit with a bitter finish. Medium body with enough carbonation to coat the tongue.

This beer is part west coast ipa and part rye beer. For the most part, the rye plays a subsurviant role. The dominat player in Red's Rye is hops. At times, the hops over run this beer, but I still thirst for more. I would be negligent, if I didn't write about the head. Red's gives you a root beer float head. It stands above the top of the glass, but does not cascade down the sides. This RyePA is not to be missed.

02-09-2005 02:16:04 | More by frazbri