2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,294 | Reviews: 1,618 | Show All Ratings:
Jesswellick

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Medium mouth feel with malty hints. Very strong bitter notes that leave a not so enjoyable after taste. Has a very welcoming appearance and smell but was very thrown off by the flavor. Not my favorite beer to taste, but a decent IPA for what it's worth. Doesn't leave an enjoyable mouth feel and the bitter taste lacks enthusiasm.

04-22-2014 01:20:05 | More by Jesswellick
BUD

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. The pour was quick and smooth, creating a nice 2 finger thick tannish head which SLOWLY diminished(leaving a nice lace down the glass) as I was enjoying drinking it. The beer itself a deep ruby color.

It had a fruitish kind of taste and scent. Not being the seasoned beer reviewer at this point, the hops and malts part arent yet disdinguishable to me. I would say balanced. Being a 6.8% ABV beer, the ABV wasn't overbearing at all, since I dont care for beers that taste like Nyquil.

Mouthfeel and drinkability was smooth. Very delicious beer.

11-06-2005 05:58:10 | More by BUD
Cannabinaceae

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer is one of my favorites. It pours a beautiful copper, amber color with a small head that dissipates pretty quickly. The smell is my favorite part of this beer. It is a delicious hoppy, fruity, floral smell that just begs you to take a nice gulp. The flavor matches the smell, with fruity, citrus-y hops on front end that are rounded out with a really unique and delicious rye taste.
This beer is also very drinkable for 6.5+ and could easily be a session beer. This may not be for everyone, but in my opinion this is a unique and delicious creation from Founders(which is rapidly becoming a favorite brewery of mine).

03-24-2010 23:45:40 | More by Cannabinaceae
zoolou

Iowa

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Attractive copper/red appearance with a smell that should be made into a candle.

With rye beer being my favorite style, this is definitely the best rye beer I have come across, edging out Hop Rod Rye. Red's Rye has a great balance of the spicy rye and the big hops that starts and ends with great flavor and balance.

Almost perfect in my book.

03-29-2011 14:25:56 | More by zoolou
pinni

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Bell's Snifter, beer was chilled before opening. This is a very pleasant looking beer, dark amber in appearance with a short head that never fully dissipates.
The smell is actually quite mild with some fresh, grassy hops.
When sipped, I got a definite hop impact to start and then it faded to the faintest bit of sweet before a lingering bitterness.

This was my second foray into the world of Rye ales/beers (my first was the Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter)... Aside from the color, my palate honestly doesn't quite get much (if any) rye from the beer, almost like I'm psyching myself into what little I taste. As it warmed, I got a bit more rye sweetness, but honestly, I'd already consumed most of it at this point :P
Overall, though, i really love DIPAs and this one swings with the best I've tasted and I most certainly would try it again.

06-08-2011 22:25:55 | More by pinni
iceburger97

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

a golden color like an ipa. tastes outstanding with complex maltiness and a mild but noticeable sweet citrus flavor very drinkable although u might want to drink no more than 7. Mouthfeel was exceptional. Smell was that of grapefruit with floral character. Overall a nicely crafted beer, hard to find anything bad about it.

08-30-2012 21:11:36 | More by iceburger97
Bowersm

Connecticut

I have nothing bad to say about this beer. After pouring from bottle to glass it looked beautiful and rich and smelled powerfully good. There was plenty of good flavor and a fantastic after taste. I could easily drink this beer all night and not get sick of it or have any desire to switch it up. This beer cannot be recommended enough!

03-04-2013 21:13:56 | More by Bowersm
3BeerGuys

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter.

A: Nice clear red, very clear and clear.

S: Citrus as a very very prevalent factor, hops, like crazy.

T: Nice and bitter, very clean taste, fantastic IPA.

M: Nicely carbonated, with a refreshing feel even at room temperature.

O: Overall this was a fantastic representation of the style, the smell was amazing, just like when adding hops to a boil. Where this beer could improve is with a little higher IBUs, but otherwise this is a difficult beer to criticize.

09-20-2012 02:09:22 | More by 3BeerGuys
3beerdudes

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Beer dude #1 enjoyed the reddish hue described by beer dude #2. It was a very smooth yet hoppy flavor that was pleasing to the palate. Dude #2 dropped a chip in his beer giving it a rich and original flavor to and already enjoyable taste test. Dude #3 says "outstanding flavor."

03-16-2013 17:31:34 | More by 3beerdudes
dkeramaty

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

If I can say one thing about Founder's, they do hops right. I love this beer. Appearance is a nice deep red/amber hue (it is a red ale) with a nice off white head, decent retention, and lacing. The aroma was enough for me to know that this beer was going to taste good. I am guessing that it was dry-hopped as it has that nice floral piney hop aroma that I crave. Taste is well balanced with a good malt backbone to follow up the hoppiness. My taste buds are not discerning enough to tell what the rye was doing here but an excellent beer none the less.

06-04-2007 18:22:12 | More by dkeramaty
HopOverdose

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Picked a single of this up at Martha's Vinyard in Grand Rapids, Mi.

A - Pours a nice reddish haze with a still settling sediment. Only about a 1 finger head on this one that actually, opposing to other reviews, only lasts a short time.

S - The nose on this one isn't too strong but when held long enough you can really pick out the hops and rye.

T - The Rye blends nice on the front with a piney citrus that fades into a more noticeable rye flavor that last until the finish. Not much bitterness here.

M - I think this one has a little too much carbonation for the flavor it packs. It tingles the tongue. Very light feeling in the mouth.

D - Drinkability is good. It gives you a very warm feeling right at the end of every sip. I was able to consume one faster than the usual ale. This goes great with bread and gouda cheeese. I look forward to drinking more of these.

01-10-2010 20:52:38 | More by HopOverdose
ryanobeirne

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Deep rich amber color with a small amount of fine, just barely visible particulates floating throughout. A rich foamy off-white head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Rather hoppy aroma with a hint of rye malt. Slight woodiness towards the end.

T - The hops are outstanding in this beer, and balanced just enough to bring out the just the rye in the malt.

M - Very smooth and crisp, but leaves a slight hop resin in the mouth, in a good way.

D - Super drinkable: I could barely finish writing this before I was done! Very easy to drink all day. Perfect for fall and summer. Heck, it would be good in the spring and winter too!

Overall, I am impressed. This is only my second time trying the beer, but I will be returning soon!

09-04-2010 00:03:20 | More by ryanobeirne
TallDrinkOfLager

Vermont

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

My local Co-op started offering Founders, so I did what any reasonable person would do and bought one of each kind they had. This is my fifth Founders brew and might just be my favorite so far.

This one has a nice, rich, hazy orange color. An inch of puffy head formed on the pour, with some good lacing as I worked my way down the glass.

I knew I was in for a treat when I picked up an intense lychee/sweet pink grapefruit aroma. It smells like some perfectly ripe tropical fruit. What's awesome is that there's an equally intense lychee taste that opens up when you take a sip. The fruitiness stays for a second or so, dissipates into some dry, piney hoppiness mixed in with the rye bite. As the bitterness fades I start to pick up the lychee again. There is a lot going on in this one!

Final verdict: a big winner. It amazes me the kind of flavors a brewery can wring from a relatively limited amount of ingredients! I'm going to be picking up this in quantity as soon as possible.

01-10-2012 02:00:15 | More by TallDrinkOfLager
mikeaji

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

This is my first taste of Founders Brewing and I must say I am impressed. I am usually bound to buy the typical Belgium Trippel's and Quad's, but this bottle struck my eye at Total Wine. The beer pours a nice red color, and it tastes fantastic. The carbonation is not overpowering and you can taste the Rye and hops. A well balanced beer that I see myself buying in the future. I definitely recommend this beer to anyone.

01-16-2011 21:09:45 | More by mikeaji
mikeriley

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a slightly murky copper with an inch or so of fluffy, off white head; the head mostly dissipates, but a few islands of suds stick around til the very end. Smells of piney, resinous hops with some bready malts underneath. The bread and caramel start to poke through as it warms...

Taste is heavy on the West Coast hops up front, but studious sipping reveals quite a bit going on. A sturdy malt base sits right on the middle of the palette, occasionally peaking it's head out from under the layers of hops. The rye adds a slight bite, and there's a subtle boozy complexity beneath it all.
Mouthfeel is medium, a little prickly from the hops and rye, slightly sticky. Finishes long and bitter, leaves you wanting another sip.

A damn nice beer; quite balanced for such a hoppy brew, there's plenty of complexity to keep you interested while still being easy to drink.

10-12-2011 03:34:34 | More by mikeriley
OpenMic

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Caramel, light brownish....poured with a head, when calm, a somewhat foamy thickness over the beer.
S: A lite hoppy aroma, full of rye over the top, very nice!
T: Once again hoppy, with the rye taste right behind it, then the bitterness hits. Sweet with a bitter finish, but the bitter is good,
because you keep coming back for sip of the sweet!
M: lite on the carbonation, just the right stuff
O: Plain and simple I just like the combination of the complex
flavors that come together in this rye beer. Great all the way
around.

11-07-2011 02:30:34 | More by OpenMic
ansurdu

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Picked up a 6-pack after a recommendation from a friend.

A: amber. Browns and reds intermingling.

S: Incredible! A perfect citrusy, orangy, grapefuity, hoppy party in my nose. I could smell this all day.

T: really great but not as good as the nose. lot's of hops obviously. Tons of citrus.

M: Medium bodied. Very refreshing. Just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Is a great session beer for me. Look forward to drinking again.

09-19-2009 14:59:44 | More by ansurdu
iGulp

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a newly tapped keg. The beer poured well with a nice firm head. Overall color was reddish-brown and nice clear viscous, semi-translucent appearance. Easy roll and good mouth feel. Balanced hop taste and a bit of very light sweetness as the beer temperature rose during drinking. Very smooth and balanced taste. Initial heavy hop feel from first sip, faded and became more balanced with subsequent tasting. The smell was average, non-floral and simple. However, the taste offset the nose and delivered a solid IPA taste without an after-taste. A solid beer!

08-04-2012 20:28:53 | More by iGulp
MichiBrew

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a beautiful ruby amber red with a 2 finger creamy white head...it settles down a bit and the lacing is quite dramatic considering the style...

Smells of relatively fresh hops and VERY strong rye...by far one of my favorite styles...cant decide if this or Hop Rod is the best RyePA out there...this is more on the malty and piney side but a real treat for those who prefer IPAs and enjoy a diversion within the style on occasion...

Taste matches the nose...taste of bitter hops is enveloped with a strong rye presence...slight sweetness balances everything out...

Mouthfeel exceeds most IPAs...the rye adds a dimension that straight up IPAs cant match IMHO...full as hell and beyond drinkable...

Im sure most of you have tried this delicious beer...an easily attainable year round offering from Founder's...always fresh(they bottle date)...and an (almost) session beer that can be enjoyed throughout an evening...please try this beautiful beer if you havent and cheers to Founder's once again as they pull off an impressive but at times precarious balance between their year round and highly in demand seasonal offerings...

01-12-2012 05:48:25 | More by MichiBrew
ausch30

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really outstanding take on an IPA. Keep in mind I just drank a Sculpin before this which I consider one of the best IPA's there is. The Rye just adds a little something, a little breadyness, a little something different...but still really good. It has all the aromas you expect from a great IPA, Grapefruit, Mango, Pine. The malt bill seems much higher than a typical IPA so you get a really good malt sweetness to counter the bitter hops. Dry finish only leaves you wanting another sip. If you haven't had it, try it.

10-04-2013 21:53:31 | More by ausch30
hopdaddy49

I am unfortunately going from memory. I would be all in favor of this beauty achieving year round status. The heartless bastards at Founders have made it a seasonal brew for some unknown an obviously insufficient reason. Had it on tap at Founders brew pub which was a slice of heaven, but by the bottle it is extremely close to fresh tap taste. Founders is awesome and I highly recommend this heavenly brew to just about anyone as the maltiness and hop finish are sublimely and superbly blended to achieve party in your mouth status...it is just about perfect for beer lovers of most types. Cheers

07-14-2013 11:54:21 | More by hopdaddy49
FrothHead

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Not too much fancy-pantsy beer judge talk here. Just my opinion.

The label - the freaky hobbit dude reminds me of Harry Potter at age 80!

OK, the beer. If you love hops balanced by a little caramel malt, this is heaven!

S- note the citrus (grapefruit)

T- The grapefruit comes through on the front of the tongue and lingers (melding with the hops bitterness in the finish.)

Enjoy the caramel malt (present but reticent) in the middle.

Finish with faint memory of malt fading into hop bitter that lingers on the back of the tongue.

This is one of my session beers. OK, I'm a hophead!

10-26-2008 04:12:49 | More by FrothHead
nickydel

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Wow!

Really impressed with this beer.
Dark, coppery red color, with a chucky thick head that stuck all over the glass. Smell was citrus, reminded me a strong grapefruit. Similar hoppy taste, except with a surprisingly prominent maltyness and of course the rye flavor. My first rye IPA, but my impression is that this beer was particularly well balanced and delicious!

08-02-2010 20:27:16 | More by nickydel
AUTIGERS

Alabama

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

apperance--this beer looks almost perfect--rich red, brown, small head... was looking forward to a bigger, taster head--but perfect lace

smell--rrryyyeee, my favorite, hops my second favorite

taste--piney hops, followed by a strong rye, finished with floral hops

mouthfeel--good, enjoyable body, with appropriate carbonation

overall-for me, perfect. I'm a big rye fan and any time that rye and hops work togehter in this way is very enjoyable

02-11-2012 09:51:20 | More by AUTIGERS
Gilmanbrz

Vermont

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Really excited to try this beer,heard lots about it over beeradvocate, great taste really wish to see more of thoses brews around this area (newhampshire)
the flavor of this beer is very unique compare to this everyday micro brews that I like.

Very hoppy, beautiful color at the pour, over all really good! Defenely a 10 high score on my board!

Lately I have Ben discovering lots of small brewerys but world class score thanks for beeradvocate.
And thanks to the founders master brewer! Keep working for THE BEST!
I m a big supporter of fine tasting brews.

10-03-2012 00:39:33 | More by Gilmanbrz