Founders Red's Rye IPA - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2004

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Red's Rye IPA Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -6%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours an attractive, cloudy, dark amber with a finger of khaki head and some lacing. Smell is quite floral and hoppy, some bitter rye, and light fruit. Tastes like a sweet, bitter IPA mixed with a scotch ale. Floral hops up front, some sweet malt, and citrus rounding it out. Mouthfeel is rich like Dirty Bastard, which this also reminds me of. This was pretty tasty, not as much rye as I would have guessed, which was nice cuz I really don't like rye so much. A hoppy, sweet, tasty brew. Founder's you never disappoint me.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

I didn't know what I was tasting with this one. Lot's of everything, I guess. Didn't seem very balanced and the hops lingered intensely many minutes after I drank it. Don't get me wrong, this is a real good beer. Almost like a hopped up, double American red, is how it tasted to me. Nice rye, grainy taste, I did enjoy that and some sweet malty caramel and juicy, juicy fruits, were a joy. Just a little unbalanced for a Founder's.

3.97/5  rDev -5%

I drank this right after I had the Upper Canada Light Lager (which had a lot of flavor for a Light Beer but...) you can imagine the adjustment. Right from the first second I smelled a strong sharp hoppy aroma. Cloudy brown color with a moderate head. Quite strong rye flavor with a hoppy bite to it. Spicy, sour and a little sweet. This is a nice beer.

Appearance: Reddish with some suspended yeast and a minimal white head that recedes fairly quickly.

Smell: Strong biscuity hops just punched me in the face!

Taste: Follows the nose perfectly, but with just enough malt backbone to balance this out. This hop pr

Mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel for the style despite the low abv.

Overall: Founders just does the right thing, can't knock this beer, even if it's not my favorite style. Then again, I could say that about most of their beers.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass,a deep ruby red color,cloudy,with particles of yeast.The head was off-white to light tan. The head stayed with tiny strings of bubbles constantly rising to the top.
A hint of rye in the aroma,sweet caramel,bisquity,fruity,fresh and clean smelling also. A very good aroma.
The taste is friuty,sweet ,caramelly, roasted, citrusy,piney,with hints of chocolate and rye.The rye taste is in the background.Very complex and tastey.
The mouthfeel was medium to thick,cloying.A pronounced bittness,yet clean with a nice dryness.
This beer made my mouth water for more.Lots of flavor,surprising pleased about this beer.I want to drink more,I just don't know how many more I could drink.
Highly recommended beer.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

OK, I'm a Founders man through and through and Red's does it for me every time!
This beer has just the right amount of bitterness to satisfy a hophead, but tame enough for just about anyone.
I enjoy this beer when I want something right in the middle of the bitterness range.
GREAT Summer beer to enjoy with a burger fresh off the grill or when you're chillaxin with a bag of chips watching the game.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

Enjoyed in a stange

A: pours a murky deep amber color with a consistency similar to cider, pours with a finger of fine off white light tan colored head that lingers nicely and leaves a solid amount of lacing on the glass
S: slight whiskey scent with a bit of sweetness and a nice malt character
T: begins with a slight sweetness then moves into a slight whiskey character and finishes with a slight sweetness of molasses
M: medium carbonation tingle initially then moves into a nice silkiness and ends with a slight alcohol or carbonation burn at the back of the throat
O: a good brew, could be a bit nicer on the nose but works nicely with the taste and overall mouth feel, really loved the appearance on texture of this one

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

The beer poured a bright amber color with a massive and I mean massive thick foamy head into my pint glass. The head was so thick and foamy that it reminded me of the head on a root beer float. After giving the head some time to subside, I took a wiff and the nose was pleasingly hoppy. The taste was of rye and malts with a good peppery taste on the tongue. Very interesting beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

A- Pours a light tan colored head 1 inch in height. The head seems to display a nice retention. The body is a hazy dark red/amber color. As the head recedes, I can a nice ringing lace coating parts of the glass.

S- Bits of spicy rye, nice floral hop aromatics with notes of grapefruit and pine. The malt profile is nice and buttery with caramel and some butterscotch.

T- Starts out with some excellent spicy rye, some nice malt backing it up with some buttery caramel and the finish transitions into some very nice big hoppiness, nice and dry and semi-astringent. Also on the finish is a hint of green apple skins along with the nice hop dryness.

M- Low carbonation is suitable as per style. The dry finish is great.

D- I was a little underwhelmed with this beer. It was good but not great. I will probably try this again sometime, but it's not something I'll actively seek out.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle from Lexington's Liquor Barn, into a weizen glass.

A: A rich, deep red, but with a slight one-finger head that disappears quickly, with only a light film on top. Still a beautiful color.

S: Strong rye, noticeable hops.

T: The sour rye is clear, and balanced decently by the hoppy flavor of a pale ale, but I wasn't blown away

M: Stickier than I would have liked. Not as tingly as many other pale ales I've had, including Hop Rod Rye

O: It was good, but not the best rye beer out there, even from my limited experience. Still, founder's is never a bad choice.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company