Founders Black Rye - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Black RyeFounders Black Rye

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Rye Beer |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-17-2004)
Reviews by Callenak:
Callenak

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle acquired in a trade.

Pours jet black with a huge, frothy head that lingers and lingers. The Red Rye pours the same exact way. The smell is roasty goodness with a little rye spice. Have to wait 5 minutes for the head to go down before I get a good whiff.

I've been excited about trying this one. Had the red rye a few times and have been a real rye kick lately. This was unlike any rye beer I've had. The taste reminds me of the Okocim Baltic porter I recently had but with a rye spice to it. A perfect balance of alcohol and flavor, not overpowering. The rye flavoring is more subdued than the Red Rye, most likely from the roasted grains used. Nice thick mouth feel too.

A fun beer that I would love to try again. With all the rye beers I've been brewing lately I've been curious on how a rye porter/stout might turn out, this gave me a great idea.

10-05-2006 19:27:15 | More by Callenak

Magery

Kentucky

11-16-2011 02:01:47 | More by Magery
twiggamortis420

12 oz bottle from Prufrock, thanks Dan! Pours a black color with a very voluminous beige head. Retention is great, as is the lacing.

Nose is crackery rye, sweet toffee and some crushed black pepper. Little bit of doughy yeast and chocolaty oxidation.

Taste is well done, typical Founders deliciousness. Coffee, rye bread, bakers chocolate and light red-grape fruitiness. It would seem this beer would be better fresh, but this still is pretty damn tasty. Mouthfeel and body are about medium and the beer displays very little sweetness. My 12 oz bottle is disappearing very fast, so drinkability must be pretty high!

02-06-2011 00:03:20 | More by twiggamortis420
zoolzoo

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Skye1024!

I'm not sure of the vintage, but I am sure this bottle has held up just fine. Smell is big grains, heavily roasted malt, candi sugar, definitely getting some chocolate too. There is also still some hop presence here, surprisingly.

Taste opens up into smoked and roasted malts, then sort of rolls into molasses, piney hop bite, and lingering peppery rye. Very grainy and nutty. Carbonation is quite high. Despite so many "dark" flavors, I think a lower amount of carbonation would weigh this baby down.

Quite enjoyable, but its hard to put a finger on whats really going on here. I guess the only style that can sum this up is the generic term "rye beer". Its an excellent one for sure.

08-09-2010 22:22:47 | More by zoolzoo
Lukafer

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass, thanks Alleykatking!

Pours black with at least 2 fingers of head. Smell some cocoa and chocolate. Taste chocolate, rye and a bitter finish, delicious! The mouthfeel is thick. I could only drink a few of these, split with friends, but very delicious.

05-02-2010 22:09:20 | More by Lukafer
alleykatking

Poured from 12oz bottle. Review from notes>

A- Nice black color with some dark brown hues to this when held to light. Two finger massive fluffy tan head took forever to die down. Left chunky ringing lacing on the glass as I drank it down.

S- Big on the chocolate and roasted malts in the aroma. There is some light molasses aroma I pick up as the beer warms up. There is a very light trace of dry hopping in the nose that I can only pick up every once in a while.

T- This beer is amazingly good still after all this time just sitting around. Chocolate notes come off first with some light citrus hopping that didn't fall away in time. Not a lot like when it first hit the market but settle and balance out well with the front. Some roasted malts make their way out now in the middle giving this a porter like quality. The rye hits toward the back of the beer give a light spicy rye bready taste before it goes down the hatch.

M- Medium mheavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little lacking which I find to be ok. Big chocolate notes and light roasted flavors left on the palate with a kick of rye in the aftertaste. Flavors all stood out among each other fighting for palate time. Overall good mouthfeel though. Light drying on the palate but nothing too extreme.

D- I think this has held up with time. Flavors are still crisp and clean for the most part. I have a bottle or two left and will be saving on to them for a little while longer. Would suggest you start to drink this now as I see it at it's prime now.

04-18-2010 19:43:02 | More by alleykatking
lester619

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

Deep dark brown with a thinner head than I expected. Smell is of sour dough bread, pineaples and coffee. This has a very rich and interesting flavor. Sour, sweet, spicy and bitter with a noticable alcahol aftertaste. I've had beers with a much higher ABV that do not show their boozy side as much as this one. Roasted malty coffee flavors remind me of a warm porter. Again the tangy spicy sourness from the rye comes out. I've recently become interested in rye beers. I'm not sure if I know exactly how to appreciate what a great one is supposed to be like. This was an intersting beer with very complex flavors. I can't say I really loved those flavors.

03-13-2010 00:01:10 | More by lester619
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Had the pleasure of having this one for the first time last night and have to admit I was totally blown away by it. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/30/2010.

The pour was dark and massive. Nearly completely black with a nice and tight head of tan on top that reached a of near two inches before settling back down. Aroma was loaded with chocolate and touches of light hops and hints of spice. Almost peppery with a touch of molasses, nicely done I have to admit. Each sip seemed to build the flavor more and more, really coming together towards the end. Light spice, hints of chocolate and coffee, and a deep, resionous hop flavor that gave it a decided bite as it finished. Rich feel and very well carbonated, I literally could not get enough of this one.

Overall so damn solid, one of my new favorites from Founders for sure.

01-31-2010 13:49:14 | More by mikesgroove
mjl21

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh. 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. No abv info or bottling info is given.

A-Pours dark brown and has a massive, gushing four finger sandy head. The head looks like a sponge with all sorts of nooks and crannies. The head eventually rests at a one finger level. Sediment is visible in the bottom of the glass. The massive head results in some nice lacing.

S-Lot of dark malt which results in roasted and chocolate aromas. As it warms I pick up on a little molasses. The hops used to dry hop this beer are not evident.

T-It starts sweet with chocolate. The citrus hops have faded but are still noticeable. It has a mild acidic taste to it. It has a decent roast taste that is pronounced as it goes down. The rye results in some spiciness in the back of my mouth. It finishes with a dry, roasty mouthfeel.

M-It falls on the lighter end of the medium spectrum and has a sprtizy level of carbonation.

D-An easy drinking dark beer. It may have some age as the hops have faded.

Glad I got to try this one. I would like to try this when the dry hopping is a little stronger.

11-20-2009 00:17:29 | More by mjl21
heliosphann

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz bottle picked up at the Herot in Muncie. Served in a Pint glass. I haven't had this beer in a few years, so looking forward to revisiting it.

A: Pours an oily black/brown. Very thin, brown head that dissipates quickly. TONS of sediment. It's like somebody poured a bunch of cracked pepper into my glass.

S: Big dark fruits and candied sugar. Almost smells like a good Belgian Strong Dark ale. There's a little bit of roasted malts and some faint dark chocolate. Yummy.

T: Roasty malts with some coffee and chocolate thrown in the mix. Almost Porter-like. There's some faint hop remnants left on the finish, and also some dark fruit characteristics that were prevalent in the smell. Also a small amount of alcohol is noticeable.

M: Thin, but borderline medium bodied. The carbonation is amazing on this. Time has been kind to it thanks to some oxidation.

D: Amazingly good. If I hadn't been writing this review at the same time, the glass would have been gone in minutes.

I believe Founders last brewed this "black beauty" over 2 years ago. So that means the bottle I was drinking was at LEAST that old, and I'm betting closer to 3 years or more. Regardless, age has changed Black Rye into another beast, or should I say another TASTY beast. I'd love to see Founders get back to brewing this. There's a lot of people out there that should have the opportunity to try it!

09-21-2009 00:46:13 | More by heliosphann
koopa

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle received in a trade with FlanderNed. Thanks for the opportunity!

Appearance: Murky dark brown with garnet corners and a large 3 finger dirty khaki crown that exhibits loads of retention and lacing.

Smell: Rye, roast malt, chocolate, and a touch of orange zest.

Taste: Roast malt, molasses, a minty rye, and an underlying hersheys syrup and coffee profile. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick bodied, chewy, filling.

Drinkability: The body is the only thing holding it back from scoring higher in this department.

Fantastic beer!

09-12-2009 21:10:40 | More by koopa
LordAdmNelson

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Dark, maple syrup brown with dense sandy head. Great retention and lacing. Almost too much head! Filled up my tulip with a careful pour! For how good that is, it's a real pain in the ass to pour right now for some reason.

S- So far I'm getting a nice blend of chocolate and citrusy hops. The head is so dense, though, I'm going to wait some more to get down to the actual brew. Some roasted malt in there too. A bit of plum? Maybe some fleeting brown sugar too.

T- Yum... a sweet blend of molasses, roasted malt (maybe some chocolate?), leafy and herbal hops. I'm not sure on the freshness of this, some of the hop character may have subsided (I expect that it is aged, although this apparently has brought out new characters to the brew when compared with other reviews). There's a bit of a spicy kick in there too from the rye. I think it's delicious. A bit of a subdued IPA, the sweetness/malt character is faintly BDSA in nature. Maybe I'm imagining that last part, but it's tasty. Glad I got to get my hands on this one. Nope, not imagining the BDSA part, it has a slightly vinous quality to it that is reminiscent of something Belgian. A complex and very pleasing beer.

M- A bit light-bodied, decently carbonated with a dry finish. Slightly astringent. Not bad for a light-bodied hoppy ale.

D- Delicious. Definitely could keep coming back for more if this thing wasn't so damn hard to pour! A great beer, worth seeking out.

08-07-2009 19:19:10 | More by LordAdmNelson
Buebie

2.1/5  rDev -48.7%

I'm afraid I might have an infected bottle. Got this in a trade, so I cant try the review again, I only have 1 bottle.

Popped the cap to a powerful blasting hiss. Poured into a pint glass only yo reveal a huge overflowing 4+ inches of geyser like borwn head. Once settles it leaves sea foam like half inch retention and the weirdest looking lace I've ever seen. I dont even have a word for it. Its like amoldy seafoam of brown foam.
The beer itself is black with a mild glowing red hue when held to light.

Aromas of cocoa powder, sweet maltyness and a bit of rye along with some bitter chocolate grain.

Taste? Well, I cant say I got that far. Its bad, the bottle is bad. Once the liquid was in my mouth, WAMO! some kind of scientific reaction, the liquid turns to foam and lots of it, carbonations stinging the hell out of my mouth. Spit it out and am dissapointed, the bottle is infected....

Drainpour.

04-25-2009 02:50:53 | More by Buebie
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to joe151o for this one...! Review based on notes:

Opened with a hiss, a bit of a gusher...Ebony with 4 fingers of tan head. Insane lacing & head retention

S: Toasty grain, licorice & dark fruit

T: Peppery rye, dryness, chicory & molasses up front. Coffee grinds, crisp rye, dryness & some cocoa as this warms. Finishes with a bit of plum, more crisp rye & some more coffee

MF: Medium bodied with restrained carbonation

Easy drinking, very nice take on a style that getting more popular. Despite the rough start, this was a nice beer!

02-05-2009 17:55:28 | More by russpowell