Join our email list →

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,425 | Hads: 4,758
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

05/2015 bottle date served cold in a wine glass.

Malty sweet, boozy, sweet alcohol, fruity, mildly bitter, very mellow and integrated. This is an IIPA to cellar. Much more like an American Barleywine than an IPA.

4.01/5  rDev +2%

Poured at 51°F from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 24Apr2015) into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Consumed on 28Jan16.
LOOK: Pours with two fingers worth of dense, khaki foam. At 35 seconds, the foam head becomes rocky and poruous. At 2 and a half minutes, a half fingers worth of foam remains along with a moderate amount of very thick lacing left from the dissipation. Dark amber in color with a moderate amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are both small and medium in size and are in abundance. Lacing is moderate in quantity and both thick and very thick.
SMELL: Very strong aromas of caramel and bread are backed by mild aromas of alcohol and subtle piney hop, grapefruit, orange, and tangerine aromas. With 10 different hops used, I would have thought that this would smell like a hop bomb. That is slightly disappointing.
TASTE: Strong bread and caramel flavors first strike the palate. Mild piney hop flavors enter about 2 seconds after as caramel flavors grow slightly stronger. Subtle alcohol flavors and hints of oranges, grapefruit, and tangerines make their debut as piney hop flavors grow slightly stronger. As all flavors now push on, mild bitter hop flavors enter lastly.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down smooth and somewhat creamy. Clings to the back of the throat like syrup. Finishes horribly dry. A big and welcoming alcoholic warmth can be felt as it goes down the throat.
NOTE: I've had one other beer that was brewed with 10 different hops and that was a complete disaster. This was pretty great. Not the best DIPA out there, but definitely one worth buying.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - nice mahogany reddish brown clear colored with an off white head that dissipates quick
S - big chocolate and caramel malts. Oxidation. Dark fruits, cherry. Fig newtons. Some grapefruit and citrus peel in there that I'm sure was more forward when this was more fresh.
T - sweet caramel and chocolate malts, boozy, dark fruits like figs and plums but also grapefruit at the same time. Little bit of woody, oxidized, old ale type flavors too.
M - medium to heavy mouthfeel. Alcohol present but okay for 12%. Aftertaste is citrus peel, booze.
O - great beer. More of a barleywine at this point- bottled 4/2015 drank 12/2015. I've had it fresh and there's a lot more citrus and tropical fruit flavors to it when it's younger. Definitely an interesting beer that I'll still pick up time to time even with the high price point.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I have a soft spot for this. This is one of the first, and only hardcore IPAs that I've liked. The first time I had it, it blew my top off, but subsequent tastings had me agreeing with the consensus.

This is closer to a barleywine than an IPA. It's booziness can be very harsh, I'd like to be able to describe the aroma and taste but I just can't put it into words. There is a lot of complexity here, sort of how certain liquors have their attributes.

Cherry vanilla honey lemon copper blood raisin caramel burn. That's the best I can do and I feel like that doesn't really cut it.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

I noticed this at my local bottle shop in the pick six row. Had a bottling date of May 2015, but with the high alcohol content I figured it would have aged a bit. And indeed it did; the color was dark amber, the smell and taste was a kind of boozy chocolate & cherry, very smooth, nice finish. I haven't tried this new, so I don't know what it would have been like without aging, but I'd try this again if it sits for at least six months.

1.64/5  rDev -58.3%

Founders Devil Dancer

For whatever reason I've wanted this beer for quite some time. Usually higher abv ipas do me pretty well. At $7 a single this shit better be good or I'm gonna take a dump on the store owners doorstep and maybe light it on fire. Anyway, enough of my lacking creativity, I just don't care much for writing reviews anymore. But, here goes.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep, dark ruby with a monster slightly off white head that takes up a majority of the glass. The head is exceptionally bubbly and starts leaving stick the second it starts dying down from the top of the glass. Not seeing any noticable carbonation. Clarity is moderate.

Smell - Satan blessed onion from the depths of oniony hell does this thing smell like a fucking onion that was satan blessed and from the depths of oniony hell. This is the most oniony forward nose I have ever gotten out of a beer. As I've gone on, I know it isn't really onions, instead smells like some super dirty hops pulled straight from the ground. Whew.

Taste - The onions never end. Holy fucking shit does this thing taste like onions. I wouldnt mind if they were deep fried and ringed, but wow this is some dank ass onion death. Onion in the front, onion in the back, onion in the middle, and onion up the ass. I guess...I guess it tastes like biting into a raw onion...is what I'm trying to get to here.

Feel - The body is very light and highly creamy due to the well retained head. Sits nicely though it once again tastes like eating a raw onion pulled fresh from the dirt. Can I be done with this beer yet?.

Overall - It was like being in a horror movie. This beer is terrible. Founders is my second favorite brewery but I mean...what the fuck is this even supposed to be? Maybe it was old, maybe it was this, maybe it was that, but overall the worst $7 i've ever spent on a single bottle of beer. PASS.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look - dark clear copper, with one finger head; average lacing

Smell - barley, yeast...I do get a little citrus and pine

Taste - more like a barleywine than I triple IPA...Starts with a sweet barley/malt. I do taste the heavy pine and of course the strong alcohol aftertaste. There is a little pepper there.

Feel - medium to thick body, very creamy with a burning alcohol follow through

Overall - I had this on tap a few years ago and couldn't wait to try it again. Poured out of the bottle and for the price, not worth the dough.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a nice looking orange-red. Smells like yeast and booze. The taste is simultaneously bitter, sweet, and boozy. You get lots of aggressive hops, a deep root of malty sweetness, and a fair shot of booze in your face. It does however feel creamy and smooth for it's intensity. Getting sweeter as it warms, this hop load of boozy malt is sure to make you feel it. Overall, a nice and strong sipper.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep mostly clear copper color. Barely-there off-white head falls rapidly. Reasonable lacing.

S: Sweet and hoppy. Citrus and evergreens.

T/F: Sweet malts at the start which rapidly gives way to a delicious hop bomb. A bit peppery, with great citrus and evergreen hops. Sticky and resinous... just like a triple IPA should taste. A bit more carbonation would be nice. Warming on the palate, and the EtOH is well hidden for a 12% beer.

O: A very nice triple IPA, and you know that Founders is always going to bring their 'A' game. It's a high ABV hop bomb which makes it a sipper, and a little more carbonation would have been nice but I'm really nitpicking to say much negative about this brew.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really good triple iPa but doesn't compare to the 120 minute that I just had two days earlier(disclaimer).

Nice poor very little head. Coppery color like most high abv IPAs. Little smell from a snifter glass. Good mouth feel. Taste the heat

Overall nice but I'd rather have another 120 minute.

3.3/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Sorry Founders, this is a Barleywine...either that or I got an old one that's turned. Now to be completely honest, I like my Barleywines', SN's Bigfoot and Stone's Old Guardian, but when I'm wanting the hop-induced nectar that is a true IIPA (RuinTen comes to mind), the sweetness and overwhelming alcohol aftertaste just doesn't fit the bill. Now come Jan-Feb, the three remaining will certainly on deck! Finally, like many posters', this stuff is WAY over-priced for what it is.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours the color of a red ale with a thin but silky head. A very interesting fruity nose. The taste is very hoppy but not overly bitter. It reminds me of the dogfish head 120. The mouth feel is nice with a nice effervescence for having such a seemingly light carbonation. Overall a very good "triple" IPA.

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle into a tulip.

a: A nice deep copper body. The cascade from the carbonation looks like the bubbles are fighting to rise in a syrup. Nice finger and a half of beige head which dissipated quickly.

s: Tree sap. Cooked citrus zest, pine, compost.

t: This is not at all pleasurable. It burns. And lingers. It reminds me of when one feels the need to get extremely firery hot sauce. Seems the hops here are just for the sake of throwing them it.

I am finished with my review. This is a drain pour. Hoptimum and 120 IPA seem like session beers comparatively.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz, bottled on 5/5/15. Four month old ipa but was I worried about the hops being faded? Lmao. Dark amber color, almost red, one inch head that fades to half inch and doesn't disappear. Minimal retention and lacing. The booze scent blankets most but I do get some grapefruit when taking a huge sniff. Taste is...punch in the face. What did you expect? Lots of booze, grapefruit and pine upfront but finishes spicy pepper. Nice carbonation. Because I've had this in the past I knew what to expect and I love this beer. People saying its too much...that's what they were going for haha, sack up! Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Somewhat disappointing. Founders rarely lets me down, but this one was not too great. Pours amber with little head. Alcohol on the nose is not unexpected given the ABV, but dominates unfortunately. I was hoping to get hop-bombed. Bitter taste for sure, but not all in a good way, and very little character. I'll try it again next year, but glad I only got a single of this overpriced brew.

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep amber with a subtle head. Very sharp hop and sweet aroma with heat underneath. The taste was palate pummeling with massive malts and bracingly bitter hops. A 12 oz endurance for your taste buds that I am happy I tried but not sure I will revisit. A very intense and flavor forward brew that takes the triple IPA to its max. The 12% ABV is present from the start and while the flavors mask the heat the alcohol is apparent. Big and beastly dancing with the devil is a risk you should take at least once.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep copper color with a fingernail of beige covering the top. Moderate lacing. Deep bitter piney aroma is very prominent. There's also a massive amount of light malt to try to hold this monster in check. The taste is a massive amount of predominantly piney hops with some citrus and grapefruit notes present. There's plenty of gently spicy light malt I can taste. The mouth is thick, chewy, and resinous. This is not for the faint of palate. If you don't like hoppy or high ABV beers you should definitely steer clear.

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a chance to try this when a friend brought some over. Poured into a tulip glass. Looked like an amber ale in color, had a very strong alcohol and hop nose to it. There isn't a whole lot beyond an obscene hoppiness and very strong alcohol content to this beer. The feel was very thick and almost pulpy, but again all there was for taste was hops and alcohol. I would like this a lot better if I were able to pinpoint a single hops tell tale flavor here, but that's not what this beer is for I don't think.

A good beer, not a great beer by any means.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Was a dark amber in color with a thick white head. It had a very hoppy smell to it. It tasted just like it smelled and could definitely tell that there was alcohol present.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good overall beer. $19 for a 4 pack is ridiculous. Good thing I stole that shit ;) well technically I put it in a custom 6er but I digress. It was like a southern tier 2xIPA on steroids. I could've brewed a better triple ipa had I had 10 different hops in my possession. Booze is hidden well though.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Im a huge fan of Founders, but this has to be one of the most overpriced beers for the quality that iv had. Very syrupy and not much complexities in aromas or taste. A syrupy, bitter mess. More of a barleywine than IPA. Easily my least favorite Founders beer that i have tried

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into IPA glass. The color is a pretty, dark orange honey, with a thick, foamy cream-colored head and thick, attractive lacing. It's a very nice looking beer. Although labeled an IPA, the smell is quite malty, with a sweet caramel, citrus, and a hint of pine. I'm also picking up something sweet (molasses?). It reminds me of Curmudgeon Old Ale. The first taste is a sweet malt with a thick caramel, followed by a slightly hoppy, bitter pine. For an "IPA," there is very little citrus in the taste. Maybe it's this particular bottle, but I can't believe this is 112 IBU's. This is a medium-bodied, nicely carbonated and quite boozy. Overall, this bottle is much less bitter and hoppy than the 2014 I had last year. I understand why many reviewers say it's more of a barleywine than an IPA. I enjoyed it but don't think it's worth its inflated price.

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I am kinda' disappointed in this. Sure it is big, bold, hoppy and boozy, but it is one of the DIPA that seems to go closer to a Am. Barley Wine than a classic DIPA, that I know and love.
The hoppiness is largely in the bitterness which is high, but it is quite malty and not just pale malts but quite sweet and rich. And then there is the alcohol, which is readily apparent, warm, rose/perfume like and boozy (not like but boozy). That's not a DIPA. It may be dancing with the devil and the swirling in my head belies that, but I don't think I'll cross into hysteria, mania or criminality. The aroma is medicine like and syrupy.
I can't say there aren't hops, cuz there are. A bit flowery and fruit and then the bitterness kicks in with full "monster" (as my grandson might say).
Flatter, which is good and semi-thick.
Still, lacking refinement and character. Seems like a lot of malt, a lot of hops and a lot of alcohol.

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't review many beers. But this is one I've saw for way over a year in stores. At basically 25bucks a 4 pack I've always been intrigued.it's one to leave alone. Price doesn't equal greatness, and this beers low ratings are well deserved. Its one of the stickiest cloying offerings you'll ever have. Its a barleywine no doubt, not a triplE IPA. it's a bitter. Complex brew that could be okay other than complete cloying sticki-ness. Its a weird syrup bomb that goes hop strong and bitter until the sticky sets in. More like
a 12 dollar 4 pack than than the Price they ask

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: slight haze; deep burnt orange in color; less than a 1 finger light tan head that receded quickly to a thin collar; OK lacing;

S: sweet malt; alcohol;

T: sweet malt; caramel; booze; light to moderate bitterness builds from mid-palate to the finish; bitterness is long lasting;

M: medium bodied - a little syrupy; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish; alcohol is evident - warming, not hot;

O: definitely a sipper;