Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,531 | Reviews: 1,422
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Good beer but just a little too boozy for my taste. Once you start getting over 10% I want a malty chocolaty stout or barley wine. This is definitely worth a try though and I am curious to see what its like after some aging.

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Big thanks to garymuchow for sending this
12 oz bottle dated 5/5/15 poured into snifter

A- A slightly hazy reddish amber with a two finger off white head.

S- Earthy/piney hops, some wet grass, caramel malts, cherries, hint of citrus, smells like a really hoppy barelywine.

T- Piney finish, really sweet caramel malts, hint of fruits, faint citrus, alcohol is well hidden, hints of floral/grassy hops.

M- Full body, a little syrupy.

O- This is more on an over hopped barelywine than even a triple IPA. Some where between DFH 120 and Olde School but "low" alcohol. The big plus for this beer is how well hidden the alcohol is hidden.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

WOW. This triple hits hard. 2015 batch is very good -but I would put it in category with Dogfishhead 120. Really heavy in total experience, more of a sipping beer.

Actually - this is like the moonshine of beers. You sip it and enjoy, your face numbs, and your body feels weird, and you maybe start to slur in a funny way.

Really awesome adventure. Tried two in a row and I am a heavyweight in alcohol terms - but this is too much - better just sipped all day for a full day buzz and wonderful mouth and body feel

Ill let let the chefs in the audience describe the flavors - I can only say wonderful, glad to be able to buy it locally and one of the joys this summer.

If I was a kindergarten teacher - I would give it five golden stars in large metallica sticker form.

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance : Pours an ever-so-slightly opaque deep copper color, with tiny but persistent carbonation creating a loose 1/2" off-white head. Minor lacing retention in the glass.

Smell : I get toasted malty goodness, and a slight sense of hop bitterness mixed with a tiny bit of clove. At 12% abv, the alcohol is waving a little flag that says, "Welcome to Boozeville, drop your car keys and your pants, in that order."

Taste : First, there is a heavy malt sweetness not unlike that when cotton candy melts in your mouth, followed by a licorice or anise-tinged bitterness from the hops and a wallop of boozy alcohol at the end. It's bitter, to be sure, but the 'Triple IPA' on the label had me expecting more...something in that department.

Feel : Medium density, with a creamy and slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Overall : Maybe it's because of the 12% abv, or maybe it's the residual Manos mind-fry, but I'm having a little difficulty fully assessing this one right now. Founder's makes some great brews, and I'm sure this will have both its' fans and detractors, but I kind of think they should have labeled this one a barleywine. I was hoping for something with more complexity in the hops department, but I'm glad I tried it, and I think it's worth giving it a whirl. It would be interesting to taste it again after it aged a year or two to see how it might unfold.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a four-pack at my local Stein's Liquor--I have a feeling I was the first one to see them because I was the one who disrupted the perfect symmetry of the display. The bottled on date says this is just over a month old. Poured at cellar temperature into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep copper with about an inch of off-white head that sticks around for a good while, leaving nice lacing on the glass. A bit cloudy, with moderate visible carbonation.

S: Caramel and toasty malts in the nose, along with some nice resinous hops. A bit of spice and earthiness in the mix, as well. A touch of rum-raisin and subtle clear alcohol.

T: A blast of sweet malts and resinous hops right out of the gate. A bit of rum-raisin builds in the middle, with the emphasis on the rum--this one is pretty boozy, but not in an off-putting way. A hint of black licorice and spice in the mix. The pine hop flavor really takes a hold in the middle and into the back--very resinous and bitter, though the sweetness of the malts really do a nice job of keeping this in check. The back end is resinous hop bitter with those sweet malts still lingering on the palate.

F: On the heavier side of medium-bodied. This one has some creaminess to it--very nice level of carbonation. Just a bit on the syrupy side, with some big bitter to close things out.

O: Say what you will about the overrated quality of this beer, it certainly brings it. This is not going to be anyone's staple or session beer (I don't think), but it's certainly not brewed to be. What it is is a very bold IPA that delivers some intense flavors. I highly recommend giving this one a try.

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Just not my cup of tea.

4.96/5  rDev +27.2%

Happy but smooth... Awesome... Get some

3.24/5  rDev -16.9%

I was looking to the release this year as I have loved this beer for years, what a disappointment when I tasted this years batch bottled 05/04/15. This year's recipe seems like a total 180 turn from years past. It was extremely sweet and malty with minimal hopiness at best. I realize that with 12ABV it will an should be a big malty beer but it was totally missing the slap-u-in-the-face piny hop flavor and aroma I loved so much about this beer. I had a case last year, and it tastes much more like the last few bottles I finished nearly a year after they were bottled. Gives me more the characteristics of a Barleywine, not a triple IPA.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottles 5/5/15. I have a few more I am going to hold onto and see how they mature. Pretty boozy on this one up front. Big malt back with a little piney undertones

4.34/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Sweet, viscous, good mouthfeel. Alcohol well balanced. Late bitterness and light hop aroma.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Like it, very hoppy, awesome

4.33/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L (4.25) - Very nice deep dark amber/red color. Slightly off white head, quite fluffy.
S (4.25) - Good malty and hop aroma. I really want to drink it after smelling it. Which is how this style should be!
T (4.5) - Definitely get the high IBU right off the bat. But not overly bitter and balanced out by a heavy grain bill. I might like a little more sweetness, but that's just been picky. Great tasting IIPA.
F (4) - Nice carb level and fairly easy to drink. Might expect it to be a little "thicker"
O (4.25) - I'm a big fan of this style but not really Founder's beers. But this one is one I'll buy again for sure!

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Booya! Finally a hop head meets the IBU's of worth! Great flavor and the combination of different hops is fantastic! And it was a Fathers Day present too!

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at Total Wine Tampa, but, looking at the receipt, I think they over-charged me, $5.99 for a single, fuck me??...Oh well. Smells of sweaty, tropical fruit- papaya/mango and earthy spice- cardamom/allspice. Tastes super malty molasses sweet, with more tropical fruit and bitterness at the end. Overall, I would've preferred a dryer 3IPA. It's definitely a case of 'too much of a good thing.' Tastes a lot like my first homebrew.
My shot-in-the-dark hops guess: Summit/Nugget for bittering, Columbus/Cascade for flavor, Simcoe/Galaxy for Aroma.

3.94/5  rDev +1%

Aroma is a mix of piney hops and big malt sweetness. The flavor is grapefruit, bread, caramel malts and a big bitterness into the finish.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A Battle Royal between massive booze and massive hops all over your mouth.

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

wow, this beer is slightly over the top. but i like that.
cheers to the hardcore beers.
sour, bitter, slightly sweet.
leaves a taste in your mouth that doesn't let you forget.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very reddish in color. My first "triple IPA" but seems if the bitterness was comparable to other IPAs I've had and not too much. Very little head on the beer and not a heavy feeling beer at all.

2.41/5  rDev -38.2%

Way too hoppy & bitter for me.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- deep, slightly hazy copper with one finger of light tan head. Excellent head retention and consistent, attractive lacing.

S- caramel, raisins, malt extract, molasses. As it warms up, the molasses fades out and gives way to a spicy/fruity hop aroma. The alcohol is hidden well at first, but as the beer warms up a bit, it becomes bracing.

T- caramel, dried dates, herbal hops, and alcohol. Lots of alcohol. There is an astringent bitterness left on the tongue after each sip.

M- thick, heavy bodied, light carbonation. Extremely warming.

O- not my favorite. As a DIPA it's alright, it's more of an American barleywine in my opinion though. I'm on the fence with it as far as a recommendation. If you're looking for a typical DIPA, keep looking. If you're looking for a monster beer with an attitude and no regard for common sense, go for it.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Love the look of this TIPA. I pulled this out after aging for exactly one year after bottling date. Pours a warm reddish tea color w a thin khaki head that dissipated rather quickly. Whimpy hop smell that seemed to be shadowed by an almost sweet caramel malt scent. Tasted as such. Seems like the aging got rid of a lot of the bitterness that is associated with this beer fresh out of the brewery. Worked for me. Medium body with light carbonation. Definitely felt the high ABV but it wasn't overpowering. Overall I enjoyed it and I think that the time in my cellar helped everything balance out. Very nice. Just bought another four that will take its place for next year.

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle served in a pint glass
I've been saving this one for my birthday so I hope it's worth the wait.
A clear reddish dark brown in the glass with a finger or so oh light khaki head that seems to linger and laces nicely. A little light in aroma but what's there is reminiscent of a barleywine with a lot of hop character, mostly resins and pine along with some general sweetness. So much bitterness in the taste that it is almost hard to describe. Not a whole lot of hop flavor but you're hit with layers of sticky hoppy bitterness that starts at the tip of the tongue and lasts a long time in the finish. Obviously there is a significant amount of malty sweetness to balance it that tends to be largely in the caramel realm. Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation the alcohol is very noticeable especially as the beer warms a bit. A bit too hot and a touch too bitter without enough of the hop flavor I'm looking for in order to make this a drinkable beer and overall it falls just a bit short of some other examples of the style for those reasons.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Seems more like a barleywine, but awesome regardless.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep orange, almost red color with a nice white head that lasts and lasts. The smell was very heavy with pine first and then sweeter scents such as toffee and caramel coming through. The taste was very heavy with a lot of flavors of hops coming through then giving way to the sweeter malt. The alcohol burned well on the finish. Overall I liked it and am aging the rest of my four pack to see what a bit of time will do.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Nice and boozy! Wasnt tastein the 112 IBU . seemed more like half of that number. I'd buy it again for sure.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company