Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Beerdy

Maine

01-27-2014 23:30:18 | More by cstowell21
dnolan36

1.1/5  rDev -71.8%

Shared 2 bottles with a friend on two separate occasions.

Poured a nice golden amber into a snifter. Very attractive beer with nice head that did not hang around too long.

Smell, well this is where it went downhill for me. It smelled like a mix between mildew, old garbage and a skunk.

The taste resembles the smells listed above. It tasted like a skunk smells.

Overall I thought this beer was one of the worst beer experiences of my life. I know that it is best fresh and that the hops fade with time. However, with this one the hop pressense was still there, it just tasted awful. Not sure really why it tasted so bad.

09-02-2011 04:26:56 | More by dnolan36
bigbully100678

Oklahoma

1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

06-20-2014 23:27:02 | More by bigbully100678
JamnesCameron

1.38/5  rDev -64.6%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a deep, clear copper with about one finger of off white head that does not last. Leaves a wisp of foam and some lacing.

Aromas of minty, citric, grassy, and earthy hops. Some malt sweetness, but this is mostly hops. As it warms, some garlic and oniony notes come through. Uh Oh. Summit.

Flavors of... wow. This definitely has summit hops. I hate summit hops. Garlicy, oniony flavors dominate. I can't taste anything but garlic and onions. Not pleasant. This really pisses me off. I guess I should have researched this beer first.

Mouthfeel, I'm sorry, but I can't get past the summit hops.

Overall, this is not to my liking. I know they put a lot of effort into this and some people really like it. But this is one of the worst beers I've tasted in a long time. If you don't like summit, avoid this beer.

07-06-2011 03:33:17 | More by JamnesCameron
GeoJ

1.4/5  rDev -64.1%

Off the bat: I love Founders. Pretty much everything they do has been just dandy with me.

But ... What *exactly* is this beer supposed to be? I'm not keen on high abv brews, so that skewed my taste buds right from the very start.

I can't even pinpoint why I dislike this beer so much. It reminds me of carbonated DayQuil or something along the lines of a cheap bum wine.

Mouth feel is horrible. Grips the tongue and won't let go. Greasy, slick, relentless.

My first and only drain-pour from Founders.

07-02-2014 22:08:41 | More by GeoJ
timobkg

1.45/5  rDev -62.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a murky red, with a thick head.

The aroma is of marijuana: pungent, musky, earthy, and fungal. The aroma is strong, and potent. If someone decided to make a pot beer, this is what it would smell like.

The taste is obliterated by the aroma. It's strong, pungent, vaguely unpleasant, and I can't pick out any specifics because the smell is completely clouding my taste perception. The whole time, I'm thinking "is this what a pot beer tastes like?" Regardless, this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.

Overall, I think this beer is terrible. It smells like weed, it tastes vaguely foul, kind of how I imagine a pot beer would taste. My taste buds are generally in-sync with the Founders brewers, and I tend to really like their beer, but this brew is awful. I'm going to cellar the other bottle and hope that age managed to work some miracle and redeem this concoction.

10-13-2011 19:12:41 | More by timobkg

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

05-11-2013 10:40:52 | More by olivermonster
Arbitrator

1.83/5  rDev -53.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from Alen. Thanks man!

A: Pours a murky, unfiltered amber color with an inch of off-white head and fairly short retention. The remnant is a collar around the brew, which leaves register marks as I sip.

S: Way better than last year's, which was very solventy (at least the bottle that I had was). Caramel, toffee: sweet dark crystal malts remind me of a barleywine. It's still hoppy, with a nice grapefruit aroma, some herbs and grass. It also seems to have some English hops in there; I'd recognize that stale, sweaty towel aroma anywhere.

T: A citrus salad of pineapple, orange, tangerine, and lemon. A pine and grassy herbal note are found in the mid-taste, giving way to old towel hops in the finish. There is an undercurrent of toffee throughout with some caramel, reminding me of a barleywine -- but the hops definitely dominate. A drying finish (could just be the alcohol burn) with some lingering resiny bitterness and chalk.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied. While the ABV is not burning, you definitely feel its warmth, and it forces you to slow down. The carbonation is moderate, and it cleanses the palate decently well. Points off for the chalky aftertaste though.

D: I told myself last year that I should try it again before writing it off for good. I did, and I have. I don't know what people like about this beer, but it's not for me.

11-03-2010 23:09:55 | More by Arbitrator
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

1.85/5  rDev -52.6%

No head, clear deep orange. Very fuelic alcohol nose. Huge malt and hops, no surprise there. While it doesn’t try to be balanced, I don’t think it tries to be a total joke. I’m sure it takes good skill to make such a beer without it being cloying and abrasive and I know Founders definitely do have great skill, but I’d hoped they’d use it to greater purposes than joining a childish weener measurement contest through IBUs and alcohol. Cheap scotch reminiscent alcohol nature, very hot citric hops, earthy, caramelic and apricot like. Hot and abrasive palate, like a Chinook hop shot. Highly astringent, but who cares, it’s flavourful eh? Woody, minty. Ni drinkability which I expect to have a minimum of in a pale ale. Medium-thick bodied, syrupy. Purposeless heavyweight lost child. No worse than that, a 700 lbs man who can’t get up from his bed. Thanks Mike for sharing though, yes I’m happy to have tried it, but I sure wouldn’t have been able to go through a whole bottle.

09-12-2005 01:19:54 | More by Rastacouere