2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,040 | Reviews: 1,252 | Show All Ratings:
dnolan36

1.1/5  rDev -71.9%

Shared 2 bottles with a friend on two separate occasions.

Poured a nice golden amber into a snifter. Very attractive beer with nice head that did not hang around too long.

Smell, well this is where it went downhill for me. It smelled like a mix between mildew, old garbage and a skunk.

The taste resembles the smells listed above. It tasted like a skunk smells.

Overall I thought this beer was one of the worst beer experiences of my life. I know that it is best fresh and that the hops fade with time. However, with this one the hop pressense was still there, it just tasted awful. Not sure really why it tasted so bad.

09-02-2011 04:26:56 | More by dnolan36
JamnesCameron

1.38/5  rDev -64.7%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a deep, clear copper with about one finger of off white head that does not last. Leaves a wisp of foam and some lacing.

Aromas of minty, citric, grassy, and earthy hops. Some malt sweetness, but this is mostly hops. As it warms, some garlic and oniony notes come through. Uh Oh. Summit.

Flavors of... wow. This definitely has summit hops. I hate summit hops. Garlicy, oniony flavors dominate. I can't taste anything but garlic and onions. Not pleasant. This really pisses me off. I guess I should have researched this beer first.

Mouthfeel, I'm sorry, but I can't get past the summit hops.

Overall, this is not to my liking. I know they put a lot of effort into this and some people really like it. But this is one of the worst beers I've tasted in a long time. If you don't like summit, avoid this beer.

07-06-2011 03:33:17 | More by JamnesCameron
timobkg

1.45/5  rDev -62.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a murky red, with a thick head.

The aroma is of marijuana: pungent, musky, earthy, and fungal. The aroma is strong, and potent. If someone decided to make a pot beer, this is what it would smell like.

The taste is obliterated by the aroma. It's strong, pungent, vaguely unpleasant, and I can't pick out any specifics because the smell is completely clouding my taste perception. The whole time, I'm thinking "is this what a pot beer tastes like?" Regardless, this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.

Overall, I think this beer is terrible. It smells like weed, it tastes vaguely foul, kind of how I imagine a pot beer would taste. My taste buds are generally in-sync with the Founders brewers, and I tend to really like their beer, but this brew is awful. I'm going to cellar the other bottle and hope that age managed to work some miracle and redeem this concoction.

10-13-2011 19:12:41 | More by timobkg
Arbitrator

1.83/5  rDev -53.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from Alen. Thanks man!

A: Pours a murky, unfiltered amber color with an inch of off-white head and fairly short retention. The remnant is a collar around the brew, which leaves register marks as I sip.

S: Way better than last year's, which was very solventy (at least the bottle that I had was). Caramel, toffee: sweet dark crystal malts remind me of a barleywine. It's still hoppy, with a nice grapefruit aroma, some herbs and grass. It also seems to have some English hops in there; I'd recognize that stale, sweaty towel aroma anywhere.

T: A citrus salad of pineapple, orange, tangerine, and lemon. A pine and grassy herbal note are found in the mid-taste, giving way to old towel hops in the finish. There is an undercurrent of toffee throughout with some caramel, reminding me of a barleywine -- but the hops definitely dominate. A drying finish (could just be the alcohol burn) with some lingering resiny bitterness and chalk.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied. While the ABV is not burning, you definitely feel its warmth, and it forces you to slow down. The carbonation is moderate, and it cleanses the palate decently well. Points off for the chalky aftertaste though.

D: I told myself last year that I should try it again before writing it off for good. I did, and I have. I don't know what people like about this beer, but it's not for me.

11-03-2010 23:09:55 | More by Arbitrator
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

1.85/5  rDev -52.7%

No head, clear deep orange. Very fuelic alcohol nose. Huge malt and hops, no surprise there. While it doesn’t try to be balanced, I don’t think it tries to be a total joke. I’m sure it takes good skill to make such a beer without it being cloying and abrasive and I know Founders definitely do have great skill, but I’d hoped they’d use it to greater purposes than joining a childish weener measurement contest through IBUs and alcohol. Cheap scotch reminiscent alcohol nature, very hot citric hops, earthy, caramelic and apricot like. Hot and abrasive palate, like a Chinook hop shot. Highly astringent, but who cares, it’s flavourful eh? Woody, minty. Ni drinkability which I expect to have a minimum of in a pale ale. Medium-thick bodied, syrupy. Purposeless heavyweight lost child. No worse than that, a 700 lbs man who can’t get up from his bed. Thanks Mike for sharing though, yes I’m happy to have tried it, but I sure wouldn’t have been able to go through a whole bottle.

09-12-2005 01:19:54 | More by Rastacouere
dragonWhale

2.03/5  rDev -48.1%

So glad to see this beer here in my hands and not all the way across the country. This is the new 2011 batch..
The cap removes itself with a whimper and the pour, at times vigorous, reveals a coppery and meagrely carbonated beverage. The slim head dissolves to the thinnest of rings encircling the tip of the beverage with no lace.
The aroma is that of some sweet malt, vague alcohol and faded, weedy hops. It is a muddled and nondescript aroma. There is something there sharp, but it is such a combination as to nullify anything good inside. Green onion and sweaty dude combination.
Sharp bitterness, some malt sweetness and alcohol bite. Nearly no hop flavor. Pretty much godawful. I'm a fan of big beers, maltiness, hoppiness, angry fusel alcohols, and sometimes all of them in combination, but there is nothing in this beer that screams "I did this right." It's not so much a battle of flavors as a gathering of some co-operative organization without a plan for action or a leader. Whose turn is it this week? Oh, mine? I thought it was Dave's turn this week..The price tag is the only thing that kept this from a drain pour. At least it's pretty dry for a 12% IPA.

06-24-2011 03:45:34 | More by dragonWhale
kingcrowing

Vermont

2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel tulip.

Well, this is underwhelming. It's a very cloudy amber/brown with no head to speak of, and the nose is more of an old ale or barleywine, it's boozy and malty, there's some rasin notes to it as well, pretty off-putting for an IIPA.

Wow, this is not good. It's very alcoholic, it's sweet and syrupy. No idea why this has such a high rating? It's got a very sharp bitter bite, but it's not floral, fruity or even vegetal it's just abrasive and uninspired. Carbonation is low and because it's so thick it's hard to drink. I wish I hadn't of bought this, it's taken Founders down a notch or two in my book.

I can't read the bottled on date as it's a bit screwed up, it looks like 11/10, but that's clearly not the case as I bought it on the 6th of november in MA.

11-09-2010 21:49:02 | More by kingcrowing
Kudashov

2.2/5  rDev -43.7%

Devil Dancer Triple IPA 13 % ABV . Label is colored a reddish /auburn hue . There is a woman who is being held by the Devil no doubt with orange flames comming from underneath . Smell is some hops and very " boozy ". Alcohol aroma is very prominent . On the tongue it is hot and intense . As the alcohol warms it is not very pleasant . The lacing in nice to look at all over the glass . Few more sips solidifies my thoughts that this is just too boozy , medicinal . Booze bomb that is harsh , thick , and just not worth trying again . The Devil Dancer will leave your throat and mouth with an oily fire .

03-01-2008 02:19:53 | More by Kudashov
MbpBugeye

2.2/5  rDev -43.7%

So, another much hyped, over priced, limited, seasonal, 4 pack offering from Founders that Im actually really excited about :P I passed this up last year, so this is my first time dancing with the devil.

A- First thing I noticed is how thick it looks on the pour. Its up there with Olde School. Its a semi hazed, very viscous, bright and glowing ruby red beer. The alcohol kills the head which wasnt very big at all to begin with. As it sits it looks like a barleywine rather than any incarnation of an IPA ive ever seen.

S- Big wafts of alcohol. I think there must be a lot of Summit hops here. Its smelling a bit like Gubna. Garlic, wild onions, pine and sap. Orange zest, pineapple, grapefruit and mango come around after the glass has sat for a bit, as do toasted malts. I just wish the smells were stronger.

T- You'd be foolish to not expect an assault of hops and booze right off the bat with this one. As it happens thats just what you get. The hops here are shape-shifters which makes me happy. I certainly hoped for this from over 10 hop varieties. They start fruity, sweet and juicy. Lots of pineapple, papaya and oranges. The hops then morph into an intense pine, but only for a flash. Then its on to that slightly strange wild onion/garlic. The finish is VERY bitter and heavy on the alcohol. One of the most bitter beers Ive ever had. This beer is a total palate wrecker.

M- Full bodied, syrupy with low carbonation. Its pretty sticky, especially for an IPA derivative. Alcohol slams you in the palate. The warmth is very strong. Bitterness lingers and lingers due in part from the syrupy body and very oily and resinous hops.

D- This beer is a wild one. I surely will not be finishing this 4 pack. Honestly I dont think I can even drink another beer after this. My mouth is forever ruined.

07-03-2010 03:22:42 | More by MbpBugeye
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.2/5  rDev -43.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy amber with finger or so of foamy off-white head. This reduces to a skim fairly quickly, but does leave scattered streaks of lacing.

Smells a lot like a fresh hot and hoppy barleywine. Sure, there's lot of hops- plentiful citrus, a smaller dose of pine- but a tidal wave of sweet maltiness and booze ensure they aren't showcased. A bit doughy as well.

I remain unconvinced that a "triple IPA" is such a great idea. On the positive side, Devil Dancer achieves a searing level of grapefruit bitterness, a burn which is accentuated to some degree by a corresponding burn of alcohol. Very heavyhanded with the malts, though- toffee and caramel from start to finish. Almost a creamy sweetness at times. I'd rate it much higher as a barleywine, which it continues to most closely resemble. Finishes much cleaner than you'd expect from a 12% barleywinish beverage.

Overall impression: Glad I tried it, but I'll take a pass next time.

12-17-2010 15:58:26 | More by PDXHops
tectactoe

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

Pours a copper-orange color with a small head that leaves minimal lacing. The first whiff hits with a load of caramel toasted malts, a touch of vanilla, and an abundance of alcohol. A touch of fruity flavors are hinted at, but not very noticeable. The alcohol gets stronger and stronger as the beer gets warmer, until eventually it's almost the only thing you notice, along with the malts. For a "triple IPA", it's weird how much the malts and alcohol overpower the actual hop smell. Hops are present, but not at all in the foreground.

The taste... well, I don't understand how so many people have given this beer a good review. I guess that's just the difference in tastes. But this beer was bleh. Hoppy and bitter, with overpowering malts, and extremely annoying alcoholic properties. Way too boozy. And not boozy in a "oak barrel aged bourbon" kind of way - boozy in a "this is difficult to drink" kind of way. It's as if the alcohol is there unnecessarily. It's unwarranted, unwanted, and uncalled for in this amount. I feel like Founder's was strictly going for the novelty of 12% ABV without much regard to the actual taste, which is a shame because most of their brews are amazing. This beer left a sharp bite on the back of the throat and the booze only got stronger and more arrogant as time went on. Super thick and left the mouth feeling sticky and coated. Pungent, heavily alcoholic aftertaste.

Yuck. I was very disappointed with this. Founder's puts out amazing stuff, but this just missed the mark. Instead of an incredibly complex, hoppy brew, I was sucking on a hodge-podge of malts, unwanted bitterness, and overpowering alcohol burn. I'll definitely be passing this one up next time.

10-22-2012 02:47:46 | More by tectactoe
zeledonia

2.3/5  rDev -41.2%

Bottled some time in late June, 2011. I love Founders' new yellow bottled-on

Pours a very dark amber, with brown and red tones. Fluffy cream-colored head that has nice retention and great lacing. Tons of carbonation visible in the glass. When I swirl it, little curtains of bubbles stick to the sides of the glass below the surface, then come streaming back up.

Smell is dominated by fruity hops: pineapple, grapefruit, and some banana. Strong aromatics, and while the malt is there, I don't pick it up very well due to the power of the hops. Also a mixture of hop bitterness and alcohol sharpness coming through a bit later.

Taste is, IMO, overpoweringly bitter, and unpleasantly so. I don't get any of the fruity notes or what I'd call more enjoyable hop flavors due to the incredible bitterness. Really, this is probably the most bitter beer I've ever tasted (and I say probably only because I might be forgetting something). It comes on in two humps, a little one, followed by some caramel malt sweetness, then a massive wallop of biting bitterness that overwhelms my senses. Then the alcohol burn comes in to accompany the hops. Finish is long, persistent, bitter, and burning. Yowzer. I just don't get much beyond that bitter.

Mouthfeel is good - nice carbonation, medium-bodied, slightly sticky. As mentioned above, a very persistent finish.

I can respect everything about this beer, as it's clearly brewed for the massive hopheads. What I can't do is enjoy it. And I have loved many a DIPA, so it's not just the style. The massive level of alpha acids makes the beer taste like little more than a bitter onion bomb to me. And I like more complexity and flavor. An unquestioned drainpour.

07-09-2011 15:52:55 | More by zeledonia
HopHead84

2.3/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

7/23/2011

Bottle courtesy of OHLRangers, thanks! Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Dark orange with good clarity and a thousand bubbles feeding a beige froth that eventually settles to a thin collar. No lacing.

S: Pronounced onion and caramel with sugary notes. Pine is light, and there's a bit of bread and booze.

T: The onion flavor is monolithic, and there seems to be oregano and garlic in there as well. The alcohol is intense and scorching. Malt is reminiscent of bread and caramel.

M: Upper medium body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and smooth.

Overall: This is not for me, though I appreciate the chance to try it. Far too harsh and far too much onion.

07-24-2011 07:27:31 | More by HopHead84
Gaisgeil

2.33/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This brew is definitely too much of a good thing. I'm sure it's a hop lover's delight, but I just don't get what all the raving is all about. Pours a deep hazy gold in color with a loose white head. Nose is intense hops, grapefruit and pine, incredibly pungant and alcoholic. Taste is very much the same, very drying on the palate, not a pleasant experience. Mouthfeel is slick and oily, coats the palate. This is a horribly out of balance brew and something I just don't care much for.

Slàinte!

06-09-2006 09:57:07 | More by Gaisgeil
phingdong

New Hampshire

2.35/5  rDev -39.9%

Fresh 2011 bottle (review from notes back in the summer).

Appearance: Looks nice enough. Nice half inch head with sticky lacing as it goes down. It looks like it will be tasty, but then I get close enough to smell it.

Aroma: Vegetables, garlic and onions, a touch of weed, a hint of tropical fruits trying to get through. Not a very inviting smell.

Taste: Harsh. The onions, garlic, weed, and other players from the aroma are here in full force. The booze makes itself very well known as well. This is not good. The combo of hops here is just nasty. It's boozy and tastes like stale veggies.

Mouthfeel: Feels nice and creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I wanted to like this. I did not, however. At all. I poured out half the glass. This may be the only Founders beer I do not enjoy so far.

12-07-2011 01:09:10 | More by phingdong
ehammond1

2.35/5  rDev -39.9%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MrHirschybar!

Clear ruby grapefruit in color with deep, dark auburn edges and a thin khaki colored head that leaves the glass completely sticky and messy with sheets, spots, and lines of lacing.

I've never really quite known what people meant when they said their IPA smells like onion, until now! This beer is full of raw onion aroma--not quite enough to make me cry, but, it's starting to feel like I should! There's a bit of earth and grass character as well, along with some garlic, strangely enough, but the onion aroma is certainly dominant.

This is drinkable, but hardly. The onion and garlic flavors present again, and those aren't exactly flavors I look for in my DIPAs. The level of bitterness is huge, there's a touch of warming alcohol, though not nearly as much I feared. There's some piney and citrus hop flavors hidden underneath there somewhere...maybe?

Medium mouthfeel, oily, with low carbonation.

I wish I could bottle the rest of this so my friends could taste how terrible it is. I'm cruel.

**If given the chance to try this beer fresh, I will revisit my review, as the bottle I had was about 5 months old.**

12-14-2011 02:19:32 | More by ehammond1
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -39.1%

Bottle and tap. Had lots of hype on this one and it certainly disapointed to say the least. Aroma: Overpowering fruity hops, light cherries, Onions(!), ughh. If it wasn’t for the onions, it would have been OK. Appearance: Copper pour with small head. Flavor: Lots of fruity hops again, but unfortunately the alcohol is not hidden at all and takes all the place. Lots of sweetness also. Palate: Rich and heavy, lots of alcohol. Overall: Could not finish half the bottle. It wasn’t so bad on tap though, but the alcohol was overpowering. I can't believe this is so highly rated.

08-07-2011 22:08:30 | More by Luk13
dejrrma

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

$7 for 8oz at midway pub. served in a tulip. Tasted on 2/23/12. Here is what I wrote down while reviewing this at my table:

a- reddish amber color, little head, specks of lacing.

s- like a barley wine almost, with malts/vanilla-y scents and dark fruit...but weird...there's weird garlic smells. i'm not sure about this beer.

t- cherries, some wine. slightly hoppy. very boozy. what made me really dislike this beer is that it tastes slightly meaty, like sausages, and straight up onion soup. not pleasant. at all. awful.

m: med-carb med-full body, a bit cloying/syrupy.

o- i was really excited to try this, but i wish had saved myself the $7 and gotten something else. I'm not sure what went wrong here. i'd be afraid to try this again

03-04-2012 17:01:51 | More by dejrrma
perrymarcus

2.42/5  rDev -38.1%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
freshness date is illegible but it's definitely from the 2011 batch.

taste is likewise really different, and for me a relatively significant departure from the aroma. citric and floral hoppy notes, yes, but with that onion/garlic/weed presence (summit hops, i believe). very bitter, with a significant booziness. not really enjoying it. full-bodied mouthfeel with some chew to it. i realize many enjoy this brew's flavor profile, but upon some consideration it seems i'm not taking a shine to it at all.

overall, a unique beer, i'll give it that, but not my cup of (triple) IPA; definitely not one of the better offerings i've had from founders. 3 more in the 4pk...

07-17-2011 03:03:26 | More by perrymarcus
BostonHops

2.43/5  rDev -37.9%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
freshness date is illegible.

pours a hazy dull orange tone while yielding a short-lived 3/4" beige head; expected mediocre retention, fades to a collar around the glass. spotty lacing. wow, nose is something else. very pungent and unique with herbal, floral, citric notes... unripened mango... sort of dank, almost musty.

(originally reviewed: 07-17-2011)

06-19-2012 05:38:37 | More by BostonHops
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.45/5  rDev -37.3%

Had this beer on tap at The Drafting Room Hopfest the other day. It was easily the worst beer I tasted.

The beer pours a striking orange color with good head retention and lacing. I have to say right off that it's a bit darker then I expect for a DIPA. I don't get a lot on the nose, just a hint of citrus with what smells like some seriously sweet malt.

On the palate this beer is nothing short of disgusting. The flavors aren't off, but this beer is so sweet, the alcohol and malt completely dominate the hops. This has to be one of the heaviest, most tiring beers I've ever sampled. The beer is medium to full bodied and is pretty smooth. As for drinkabilty, I couldn't come close to finishing just the 5 ounce sampler this beer came in.

I love hoppy DIPA's, but the sweet malt and alcohol completely mask the hops. The beer tastes almost out of balance it's so sweet, malty and heavy on the alcohol. Granted, I know this DIPA is made in the so called East Coast style, so undoubtedly that's part of the problem for me (I prefer the less malty West Coast style), but regardless, this beer is just over the top sweet and boozy. Unless you are feeling particularly mascochistic, I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone.

7/3/10 edit. Tried this beer fresh and on tap at the Big Hunt yesterday. While marginally better then what I tried previously, the fact remains that this is a sweet, boozy, borderline unbalanced DIPA that is about as undrinkable as any DIPA I've ever sampled. Obviously, it's popular with some folks, but I'll be damned if I can see the appeal.

04-14-2008 00:34:38 | More by johnmichaelsen
mooselvlt

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a stange

A - Pours a hazy reddish/pinkish orange. Has a fingers worth of beige foam that settles into a steady factor atop and around the edges. Nice looking and very unique color. Good lacing

S - Wow, its pungent. Some strong grasses, some citrus, onion-like as well. Very strong nose, almost too much here.

T - uhhh, no! All I can think of is onions & garlic. Wow this is downright hard to even get through. I'm guessing this is what happens with hops overload. I appreciate the effort, but the taste is a mess.

M - Medium, somewhat creamy body. The taste and aftertaste makes it harder to appreciate anything else.

O - Everything else is there to make it a worthwhile brew but the taste honestly is a mess. The appearance is great, the feel is ok, I can see why people like the smell. But all in all, I doubt if I will even make it through this whole thing. I tried it, glad I did. But definitely not my cup of tea.

07-17-2011 16:22:50 | More by mooselvlt
stonermouse

2.48/5  rDev -36.6%

This is the second self-proclaimed "Triple IPA" I have had; the first being a fresh offering from Boston Beer Works. I hope it can stack up, because the Beer Works edition was potent and tasty.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours amber, almost orange with a bit of cloudiness. The head falls quickly, and the lacing is reasonable.

Aroma is fruity, and packs a wallop. Very nice, tart fruitiness stings the sinuses with each whiff. This is the first brew since Heady Topper that I could practically smell from across a room. Woah.

Taste is where the rubber meets the road. Too bad this one veers off onto a crowded sidewalk. All indications were that this was going to be a bitter, fruity, slightly sweet bomb of hoppy goodness. What it is is almost indescribable. But I will try. It is phenomenally dry and bitter, but that's where the fun ends for the hop heads. Personally, booziness is quite welcome in all of my beers, but this one is just a smidge over-the-top. The flavor is what I would imagine an onion-flavored dip tobacco would taste like. Quite off-putting.

There is a battle in the flavor between three extremes- booze, bitter, and a bizarre hop profile. In this battle, there are no winners.

The mouthfeel is sticky and slick. This brew does have some density to it. It's interesting to watch the carbonation bubble up to the top, struggling to push it's way through a syrupy top layer.

Man, this is just a strange beer. If I tried this blindfolded at a beerfest, I would probably guess it was either experimental or a cruel joke. I certainly don't care for this brew, but I am wracking my brain to come up with some redeeming quality. Perhaps some kind of tangential use for the brew? Paint thinner? Mace?

In all seriousness, this is just too much of too many things. I'm impressed that such a flavor could be teased out of malt and hops, but that doesn't make it good. Save your money, because you'll drop some serious pocket change on this one.

UPDATE 7/4/13: Pulled out one of these that I've been aging for 2 years hoping that the bitterness would fade and malty goodness would take over. Nope. Still oniony, dip tobacco flavor. Yikes. I'll check back in in two years.

08-01-2011 03:03:28 | More by stonermouse
Holland

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

A: pours a clear reddish orange with a decent head which settles into a decent lacing with very fine bubbles.

S: pine, garlic, and onion hit hard. They overpower the malt, sweetness, and whatever else. Smells kind of skunky.

T: garlic, pine, onion, bitterness, and skunk. Not sure if this batch went bad, but this is gross.

M: mouthfeel is fine, leaving out the rest. It has a nice malt backbone of thickness, then hits you with great carbonation for this hefty of an ale.

O: had this on tap at the brewery and it was awesome. In bottle form, this is the worst double IPA I've had. This is the only Founders beer that I have not absolutely loved. If you want a great, big DIPA, grab the Double Crooked Tree from Dark Horse.

09-08-2011 00:40:17 | More by Holland
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -34.8%

12oz poured into a tall tulip glass

A: One finger of thick white head atop an amber beer - quite dark for a DIPA. Retention and lacing are quite nice.

S: All hops. Almost indiscernible hop bitterness - maybe a bit of tropical fruit. A bit odd. I can get some sweetness as it warms.

T: Like drinking alcoholic hop extract. This is really, really bitter. It completely dries my mouth out. This is far, far too hoppy. I get toffee sweetness as it warms. I've certainly had worse, but this is not very good. The flavor I do get is a bit odd.

M: A bit thick for the style, but not bad.

O: This beer is too hoppy. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is appropriately hopped. It lingers in your mouth for a long time. The hop flavor it does have is not very good.

10-25-2011 01:05:09 | More by coreyfmcdonald