Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
ShanePB

06-08-2014 20:49:58 | More by trebud
zeledonia

2.3/5  rDev -41%

Bottled some time in late June, 2011. I love Founders' new yellow bottled-on

Pours a very dark amber, with brown and red tones. Fluffy cream-colored head that has nice retention and great lacing. Tons of carbonation visible in the glass. When I swirl it, little curtains of bubbles stick to the sides of the glass below the surface, then come streaming back up.

Smell is dominated by fruity hops: pineapple, grapefruit, and some banana. Strong aromatics, and while the malt is there, I don't pick it up very well due to the power of the hops. Also a mixture of hop bitterness and alcohol sharpness coming through a bit later.

Taste is, IMO, overpoweringly bitter, and unpleasantly so. I don't get any of the fruity notes or what I'd call more enjoyable hop flavors due to the incredible bitterness. Really, this is probably the most bitter beer I've ever tasted (and I say probably only because I might be forgetting something). It comes on in two humps, a little one, followed by some caramel malt sweetness, then a massive wallop of biting bitterness that overwhelms my senses. Then the alcohol burn comes in to accompany the hops. Finish is long, persistent, bitter, and burning. Yowzer. I just don't get much beyond that bitter.

Mouthfeel is good - nice carbonation, medium-bodied, slightly sticky. As mentioned above, a very persistent finish.

I can respect everything about this beer, as it's clearly brewed for the massive hopheads. What I can't do is enjoy it. And I have loved many a DIPA, so it's not just the style. The massive level of alpha acids makes the beer taste like little more than a bitter onion bomb to me. And I like more complexity and flavor. An unquestioned drainpour.

07-09-2011 15:52:55 | More by zeledonia
HopHead84

2.3/5  rDev -41%

7/23/2011

Bottle courtesy of OHLRangers, thanks! Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Dark orange with good clarity and a thousand bubbles feeding a beige froth that eventually settles to a thin collar. No lacing.

S: Pronounced onion and caramel with sugary notes. Pine is light, and there's a bit of bread and booze.

T: The onion flavor is monolithic, and there seems to be oregano and garlic in there as well. The alcohol is intense and scorching. Malt is reminiscent of bread and caramel.

M: Upper medium body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and smooth.

Overall: This is not for me, though I appreciate the chance to try it. Far too harsh and far too much onion.

07-24-2011 07:27:31 | More by HopHead84
Gaisgeil

2.33/5  rDev -40.3%

This brew is definitely too much of a good thing. I'm sure it's a hop lover's delight, but I just don't get what all the raving is all about. Pours a deep hazy gold in color with a loose white head. Nose is intense hops, grapefruit and pine, incredibly pungant and alcoholic. Taste is very much the same, very drying on the palate, not a pleasant experience. Mouthfeel is slick and oily, coats the palate. This is a horribly out of balance brew and something I just don't care much for.

Slàinte!

06-09-2006 09:57:07 | More by Gaisgeil
ehammond1

2.35/5  rDev -39.7%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, MrHirschybar!

Clear ruby grapefruit in color with deep, dark auburn edges and a thin khaki colored head that leaves the glass completely sticky and messy with sheets, spots, and lines of lacing.

I've never really quite known what people meant when they said their IPA smells like onion, until now! This beer is full of raw onion aroma--not quite enough to make me cry, but, it's starting to feel like I should! There's a bit of earth and grass character as well, along with some garlic, strangely enough, but the onion aroma is certainly dominant.

This is drinkable, but hardly. The onion and garlic flavors present again, and those aren't exactly flavors I look for in my DIPAs. The level of bitterness is huge, there's a touch of warming alcohol, though not nearly as much I feared. There's some piney and citrus hop flavors hidden underneath there somewhere...maybe?

Medium mouthfeel, oily, with low carbonation.

I wish I could bottle the rest of this so my friends could taste how terrible it is. I'm cruel.

**If given the chance to try this beer fresh, I will revisit my review, as the bottle I had was about 5 months old.**

12-14-2011 02:19:32 | More by ehammond1
phingdong

New Hampshire

2.35/5  rDev -39.7%

Fresh 2011 bottle (review from notes back in the summer).

Appearance: Looks nice enough. Nice half inch head with sticky lacing as it goes down. It looks like it will be tasty, but then I get close enough to smell it.

Aroma: Vegetables, garlic and onions, a touch of weed, a hint of tropical fruits trying to get through. Not a very inviting smell.

Taste: Harsh. The onions, garlic, weed, and other players from the aroma are here in full force. The booze makes itself very well known as well. This is not good. The combo of hops here is just nasty. It's boozy and tastes like stale veggies.

Mouthfeel: Feels nice and creamy. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I wanted to like this. I did not, however. At all. I poured out half the glass. This may be the only Founders beer I do not enjoy so far.

12-07-2011 01:09:10 | More by phingdong
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -39%

Bottle and tap. Had lots of hype on this one and it certainly disapointed to say the least. Aroma: Overpowering fruity hops, light cherries, Onions(!), ughh. If it wasn’t for the onions, it would have been OK. Appearance: Copper pour with small head. Flavor: Lots of fruity hops again, but unfortunately the alcohol is not hidden at all and takes all the place. Lots of sweetness also. Palate: Rich and heavy, lots of alcohol. Overall: Could not finish half the bottle. It wasn’t so bad on tap though, but the alcohol was overpowering. I can't believe this is so highly rated.

08-07-2011 22:08:30 | More by Luk13
dejrrma

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev -38.5%

$7 for 8oz at midway pub. served in a tulip. Tasted on 2/23/12. Here is what I wrote down while reviewing this at my table:

a- reddish amber color, little head, specks of lacing.

s- like a barley wine almost, with malts/vanilla-y scents and dark fruit...but weird...there's weird garlic smells. i'm not sure about this beer.

t- cherries, some wine. slightly hoppy. very boozy. what made me really dislike this beer is that it tastes slightly meaty, like sausages, and straight up onion soup. not pleasant. at all. awful.

m: med-carb med-full body, a bit cloying/syrupy.

o- i was really excited to try this, but i wish had saved myself the $7 and gotten something else. I'm not sure what went wrong here. i'd be afraid to try this again

03-04-2012 17:01:51 | More by dejrrma
perrymarcus

2.42/5  rDev -37.9%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
freshness date is illegible but it's definitely from the 2011 batch.

taste is likewise really different, and for me a relatively significant departure from the aroma. citric and floral hoppy notes, yes, but with that onion/garlic/weed presence (summit hops, i believe). very bitter, with a significant booziness. not really enjoying it. full-bodied mouthfeel with some chew to it. i realize many enjoy this brew's flavor profile, but upon some consideration it seems i'm not taking a shine to it at all.

overall, a unique beer, i'll give it that, but not my cup of (triple) IPA; definitely not one of the better offerings i've had from founders. 3 more in the 4pk...

07-17-2011 03:03:26 | More by perrymarcus
BostonHops

2.43/5  rDev -37.7%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
freshness date is illegible.

pours a hazy dull orange tone while yielding a short-lived 3/4" beige head; expected mediocre retention, fades to a collar around the glass. spotty lacing. wow, nose is something else. very pungent and unique with herbal, floral, citric notes... unripened mango... sort of dank, almost musty.

(originally reviewed: 07-17-2011)

06-19-2012 05:38:37 | More by BostonHops
John_M

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

Had this beer on tap at The Drafting Room Hopfest the other day. It was easily the worst beer I tasted.

The beer pours a striking orange color with good head retention and lacing. I have to say right off that it's a bit darker then I expect for a DIPA. I don't get a lot on the nose, just a hint of citrus with what smells like some seriously sweet malt.

On the palate this beer is nothing short of disgusting. The flavors aren't off, but this beer is so sweet, the alcohol and malt completely dominate the hops. This has to be one of the heaviest, most tiring beers I've ever sampled. The beer is medium to full bodied and is pretty smooth. As for drinkabilty, I couldn't come close to finishing just the 5 ounce sampler this beer came in.

I love hoppy DIPA's, but the sweet malt and alcohol completely mask the hops. The beer tastes almost out of balance it's so sweet, malty and heavy on the alcohol. Granted, I know this DIPA is made in the so called East Coast style, so undoubtedly that's part of the problem for me (I prefer the less malty West Coast style), but regardless, this beer is just over the top sweet and boozy. Unless you are feeling particularly mascochistic, I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone.

7/3/10 edit. Tried this beer fresh and on tap at the Big Hunt yesterday. While marginally better then what I tried previously, the fact remains that this is a sweet, boozy, borderline unbalanced DIPA that is about as undrinkable as any DIPA I've ever sampled. Obviously, it's popular with some folks, but I'll be damned if I can see the appeal.

04-14-2008 00:34:38 | More by John_M
mooselvlt

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a stange

A - Pours a hazy reddish/pinkish orange. Has a fingers worth of beige foam that settles into a steady factor atop and around the edges. Nice looking and very unique color. Good lacing

S - Wow, its pungent. Some strong grasses, some citrus, onion-like as well. Very strong nose, almost too much here.

T - uhhh, no! All I can think of is onions & garlic. Wow this is downright hard to even get through. I'm guessing this is what happens with hops overload. I appreciate the effort, but the taste is a mess.

M - Medium, somewhat creamy body. The taste and aftertaste makes it harder to appreciate anything else.

O - Everything else is there to make it a worthwhile brew but the taste honestly is a mess. The appearance is great, the feel is ok, I can see why people like the smell. But all in all, I doubt if I will even make it through this whole thing. I tried it, glad I did. But definitely not my cup of tea.

07-17-2011 16:22:50 | More by mooselvlt
stonermouse

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

This is the second self-proclaimed "Triple IPA" I have had; the first being a fresh offering from Boston Beer Works. I hope it can stack up, because the Beer Works edition was potent and tasty.

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours amber, almost orange with a bit of cloudiness. The head falls quickly, and the lacing is reasonable.

Aroma is fruity, and packs a wallop. Very nice, tart fruitiness stings the sinuses with each whiff. This is the first brew since Heady Topper that I could practically smell from across a room. Woah.

Taste is where the rubber meets the road. Too bad this one veers off onto a crowded sidewalk. All indications were that this was going to be a bitter, fruity, slightly sweet bomb of hoppy goodness. What it is is almost indescribable. But I will try. It is phenomenally dry and bitter, but that's where the fun ends for the hop heads. Personally, booziness is quite welcome in all of my beers, but this one is just a smidge over-the-top. The flavor is what I would imagine an onion-flavored dip tobacco would taste like. Quite off-putting.

There is a battle in the flavor between three extremes- booze, bitter, and a bizarre hop profile. In this battle, there are no winners.

The mouthfeel is sticky and slick. This brew does have some density to it. It's interesting to watch the carbonation bubble up to the top, struggling to push it's way through a syrupy top layer.

Man, this is just a strange beer. If I tried this blindfolded at a beerfest, I would probably guess it was either experimental or a cruel joke. I certainly don't care for this brew, but I am wracking my brain to come up with some redeeming quality. Perhaps some kind of tangential use for the brew? Paint thinner? Mace?

In all seriousness, this is just too much of too many things. I'm impressed that such a flavor could be teased out of malt and hops, but that doesn't make it good. Save your money, because you'll drop some serious pocket change on this one.

UPDATE 7/4/13: Pulled out one of these that I've been aging for 2 years hoping that the bitterness would fade and malty goodness would take over. Nope. Still oniony, dip tobacco flavor. Yikes. I'll check back in in two years.

08-01-2011 03:03:28 | More by stonermouse