Join our email list →

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,425 | Hads: 4,761
4.44/5  rDev +13%

12oz bottle poured into a Russian River over-sized wine glass. Couldn't find a date on the bottle, but I know it is very fresh.

The pour is a very dark amber with small greenish/off white head (reminds me of the after product of fermentation in a carboy) that coats the rim of the glass. Hundreds of carbonation bubbles sit on the sides of the glass and wait their turn to race to the top. The smell is the strongest smell of hops of any beer I have ever drank. As soon as I cracked open the cap I got a rush of piney citrus through the nostril. Once I poured into a glass I could smell the hoppiness 5 feet away. I think this smell could be a turn off to some, but I love it. Whoa, this one is bitter, but I like that. I catch a floral variety of fresh hops and bitterness all alike. The alcohol is well masked for being 12% ABV. The mouthful is pretty thick and very carbonated. This beer has the most hop presence out of any beer I have ever had. The smell and the taste will explain the words hop and bitter. Being a hop head this beer is awesome, sort of a novelity in a sense, but I can see myself enjoy this beer every summer when it is released.

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This Triple IPA means business...had it both in a bottle and on tap. I've got to say, if I had the review the bottle version of this beer I'd give it a 3.75, maybe a 4. On tap this beer was drastically different and absolutely brilliant.

A: A beautiful reddish brown matched with an off-white head.

S: Craziness in the aroma department here. Lovely citrus-pine smell.

T: Initially this one is pretty bitter, but it tapers out quickly into a very juicy IPA. In the bottle, the booziness lingers and burns a bit, but on tap the citrus hoppiness stays and there's less booziness. Wonderful taste overall.

M: Full bodied IPA done right. This was far more lightly carbonated than I thought it was going to be, but it was a nice surprise.

D: Because it's such a thick and boozy IPA, it was tough to drink many of these, but I enjoyed every sip of the ones I drank.

If you haven't had it, GET IT NOW.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

This is alcoholic hop juice and I approve. Triple IPA? I could see that. The color of this beer is intimidating even before you smell it, darker amber and hazed to all hell, even up to the lamp I can't see through the pint glass. Head doesnt retain too much either.

The smell is at once hop in your face...but really malty. My first thought was Hopslam on steroids, only due to the sweet malt in the background of the incredible hop aroma. A hint of caramel in there as well now that it has warmed up a touch.

Thankfully I chose this to be my one beer of the night, at 13%, because I wont be tasting anything less than Devil Dancer's hops until i brush my teeth, and that is even questionable if it will remove it. I can feel the oils on my tongue and it tastes great. The alcohol is there BUT not as much as I anticipated at 13% to be honest. The sweetness and heavy malts in the background do a great deal to tone it down a touch.

Definitely a one at a time beverage, good thing it wasn't a bomber.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Pours a fairly hazy dark copper color, with a minimal tan head. Decent bubbly lacing sticks around awhile. Not much carbonation to speak of.

Smell: Typical citrus and pine notes per the variety, but with an added whiff of alcohol to warm things up a bit. I think the alcohol helps bring out some of the sweeter characteristics of the hop aroma; getting some orange and mango to a greater degree than I might with a normal IPA.

Taste: Wow. I expected this to be quite a bit sweeter, given the ABV, but there is an equal and opposite hop reaction to this alcohol onslaught. There may be a little booziness up front, but the hop bitterness lasts for what seems like forever. Pretty syrupy, but there is enough bite from the hops to round things out nicely.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, yet crisp at the end. Fairly oily, but well-balanced. Not much carbonation, but you really don't need it will all of that hop presence.

Drinkability: Fairly drinkable when considered alongside beers of a similar alcohol content. Even so, this beer decimates the senses and might wear me out before too long.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours deep copper color with small head. Very minimal carbonation in this one.

S: Very strong aroma with huge hops and booze. Very pine oriented.

T/M: Strong hop profile and good medium body. Get a good amount of character from the hops, which are definitely drying. Also get some heat on this one from the high abv.

D: Like this one pretty good but not really over the top for it. I would get this one again if I had the chance but I wont be running around to find it.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

two 6 ounce pours shared with a friend. Paired with sharp cheddar cheese and colemans mustard and dark pretzels.

A: Super murky amber haze. Very little head, looks sort of like dirty pond water, I am not too appetized, but more intimidated by its looks.

S: The smell is extremely potent, Dank Weed, Onions, Chives, and earthy red grapes.

T: Wow this is one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. It tastes like marijuana juice, the hop oils are intense and the finish is dry and bitter. This is what I imagine sucking on a hops lollipop would taste like. Tere is a distinct hop spice. Its hard to comment on the sweet maltiness of it as the hops totally wreck yr pallette and coat your mouth and tongue, but there is an obvious strong malt backbone to this beer. I think this extreme beer tastes wonderful and slightly frightening at the same time.

M: This is a total sipper of a beast. I am drinking it almost like a scotch , slow and intently. I like sloshing it around my mouth, especially the tip of the tongue to begin, there is so much flavor to be detected in this beer, all the flavor zones in your mouth should be affected if you move it around. I wouldn't start the evening this as you won't taste much else afterward.

O: Overall, this is a ridiculous beer. My tongue is numb, I am slightly scared, but I welcome this experience now, and will revisit at some point in the indeterminate future. This is maybe the most intense beer I have ever tried, my mouth is on fire, I feel like the Devil IS dancing on my tongue, and Why did I so this to myself? However, I highly recommend trying this beer with a friend, it is just too much beer to handle alone, metaphysically speaking.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

bottled on 05/25/12

A: Began the poured slowly but became much more aggressive in order to create a head. A light tan head formed and then lasted only a few moments. The brew is a copper color with a red hue. It is also semi-translucent and does not appear cloudy.

S: The aroma is sweet grapefruit, and just a touch of pine and earthiness comes through, too.
T: The taste is very floral with some earthiness and a solid bitterness that turns to pepperiness in character. There is also some sweet caramel malt that blends with the bitterness and provides just enough balance to keep the bitterness and pepperiness from going too far. And, although the alcohol is well hidden there is just a little alcohol heat that compliments and focuses the bitterness.

M: The body is fairly heavy and satisfying; and, there is very little carbonation, which fits this beer well.

O: This beer has a bold hops bitterness that makes it truly unique. The malt sweetness is an underlying flavor that provides more to the complexity than balance. It has a pleasant floral flavor along with the raw, unbridled peppery bitterness that is the focus of this beer. The bitterness is sure to please hopheads.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

poured into a pint glass..a pretty amber orange color with a creamy head which quickly fades...smells of carmeliized malt and hops dominate..,with so many hops the taste is piney at first but then the malt and alcohol take over and this beer is syrupy the hops linger on your tongue between sips....i enjoyed this one more than i thought i would ..would definitely drink again

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Apple red color, mostly opaque. 1/2" head with big bubbles dissipates quickly with a few streaks.

S - Piney, malty, not that sweet

T - Very low carbonation. Smoky, malty, piney, not sweet, a pleasant hint of bitterness. Quite dry for an Imperial. ABV well hidden. Leave a very pleasant ale aftertaste.

M - Very soft, a little syrupy, but less than other high-ABV Imperials.

O - If not chuggable, certainly quaffable. Not a sipper. I like this beer

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

I was very anxious to sample this beer from Founders, I've read quite a bunch of good reviews on this brew.

Appearance: Pours a dark hazy copper color with ruby like highlights. Doesn't have much of a head, no lacing, but a slightly oily texture that clings to the glass.

Smell: Very strong combination of hops and alcohol that will make you take notice. There seems to be a slight candy aroma mixed in.

Taste: Piney hops and alcohol are most prevalent. This flavor is not as strong the more sips you take. Leaves a bitter taste on the tongue, and a nice warm alcohol feel in the belly.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy bodied feel, with an slick oily texture.

Drinkability: Not bad, I don't think I could drink more than two in one sitting. Especially having a 13%abv. It leaves just a little too much of a bitter taste in my mouth. But I'll try it again after a few months of cellaring.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured into a Riedel stemless wine glass. Beer is a cloudy amber/red. Despite a vigorous pour, I had difficulty obtaining any head save a small fizzy layer that quickly dissipated. Some fine, fuzzy lacing clings to the side of the glass.

S: Incredibly intense floral/citrus hop aroma mixed with alcohol combine to render a scent nearly identical to Grand Marnier. It's quite intriguing for a beer.

T: Initially sweet taste reminds me of a liqueur. Ultra bitter hoppiness asserts itself on the swallow and aftertaste. I'm having trouble detecting the citrus and floral amid the bittering hops and thick malt backbone. Alcohol is quite prominent and takes more of a starring role as the beer warms. Tastes closer to a barleywine than an IPA.

M: Thick and syrupy, with only a touch of carbonation. Again, more of a liqueur feel than an average beer.

D: What qualifies as "drinkable" for a 13% ABV Triple IPA? This is definitely a sipping beer, and not one to be taken lightly. It is very boozy when young, so some age might take the edge off a bit. Can't say I'd reach for one of these often or invest in more than a few a year. Still, it's an interesting "extreme" beer that truly pushes the envelope.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got as a freebie in a recent trade. It was bottled 6/17/11 so i'm guessing it will be past it's prime, but, for documentation, I am going to review it.

Appearance: Golden amber with some red notes. Thin head

Smell: Grapefruit, with a large hop nose which is really impressive given how long ago it was bottled. It does a slight fruit funk to it; almost a very small does of banana? Again, it's probably past prime, but I'm still really impressed with how good and strong the nose is given the bottle date.

Taste: Very big hop profile to that, wow. Finishes in the classical, 'this was good but man this would have been a lot better a couple months ago'-past prime IPA bitter. It has some almost toffee or caramel to it. Some alcohol is present but still, damm, there is a lot of hop in there.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation in there moves things around nicely. Thickness is on point with the style.

Overall: Hop bomb! Wow there was some hops in there. Even 7 months after it was bottled, it still had a very floral palate and nose, very impressive! There was some good grapefruit in there but it was still past its prime. I really would love to try this fresh. *grumbles to self about freebie way past prime IPAs/ want to have this fresh!***

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

Purchased the last two single bottles available at a specialty beer store I drove by in my travels. Poured into a pint glass, not much of a head, hazy amber color. The smell is very hoppy and citrusy - definitely pleasant. I didn't particularly taste the 12% ABV in each sip which is nice for a high ABV beer. I'd recommend this for sure.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

Look out for this beer! It packs a heck of a punch. It looks ok out of the bottle. A dark orange color with a small head. Smell is very hop ladden as it should be. Very flavorful with a lot of hop citrus flavor to it. The ABV is just too much though. It brings the mouthfeel and defenitly the drinkability way down.
Don't make the mistake of doing a taste test between this and DFH 90min. You start speaking in toungs and have to ask people what happened last night.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My bottle is marked 12% ABV as well, the highest (unfortunately) allowed in my state. Saw these going fast in my local beverage store, so I decided to pick up a single. Kind of pricey at $5.25 a pop! But being a hop head, I just had to know what a "triple" IPA tasted like.

12 oz. bottle poured into snifter.

A: Pours a delightful ruby red hue. Leaves a thin and quick to fade off white head. Faint lacing.

S: One of the better parts of this beer. Hit by grapefruit immediately and the piney hops as well. A bit of ethanol. Mmm.

T: Pretty good. Hoppy, but I actually expected more from a "triple" IPA. Maybe the Stone 13th Anniv. ruined me. Grapefruit citrus and hops followed by an ethanol burn. Well balanced I'd say, the malt definitely has presence and gives the beer a nice caramelized sugar sweetness.

M/D: Full bodied, a bit syrupy. I would like to have this one again, but I'm not sure if it's the right price.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled four days ago.

A: Dark copper with slight light penetration and a small white head. Lacing is minimal.

S: Sweet hops and citrus come through first. Oranges and malt fill the background notes. Very clean smelling.

T: Burnt oranges come through stronger than anything else (in a good way.) Plenty of juicy hop flavors with a caramel malt sweetness. A little bit of heat comes through. This kind of reminds me of a nicer version of FFF's Arctic Panzer Wolf.

M: Orange rinds and bitterness leave a long finish. Medium carbonation.

O: This is my first Devil Dancer, and after hearing all the onion and garlic bashing about this I was expecting something offensive. Instead I happily found very strong orange notes instead of onions. Sort of pricey (paid $6 for a single bottle), but it's definitely worth at least one try. I would buy more if I had the money!

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange red color with a cream colored head that is leaving nice lacing and sticking around nicely.

S: I could smell this beer all day. Grapefruit hoppyness, a syrupy sweetness, and just a touch of alcohol in the nose.

T: Tastes like a ripe sweet ruby red grapefruit and caramel. Not too sweet and not too bitter. A taste of strawberry jam as the beer warms in my mouth.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and full; very enjoyable.

D: This beer is very well balanced for a 12% abv TIPA. Incredibly drinkable.

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Big thanks to glazeman who found this one on his Sunday road trip.

A - Orange-red with a slight haziness. Nice half finger head that fades to a few fizzies on the rim. Pretty standard appearance for an IPA.

S - Very good smell. Juicy grapefruits, oranges, rich malts, some piney hops, and booze.

T - Similar to the smell, but a little bit more harsh on the hops. The malts are not nearly as prominent as they are in the nose. Ok. So there's sort of a lot going on here, and I'm not entirely convinced that it's all good. There are some strong piney and citrus hop flavors, but neither of them truly dominate. And yet, despite the even match of piney with citrus hops, something about this beer just isn't quite balanced. Maybe it's the lack of malts in the taste, or maybe it's the lack of layers as the beer gets dissected on the palate, but there's a little something missing.

M - Very good. Nice and thick, similar to KBS or Nemesis.

D - Despite the high ABV and the odd blend of hop profiles in the taste, I think this one is quite drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

I have been waiting for this beer for quite sometime now, as it is the only bottled beer founder's releases that I have not had.

A: The beer pours a deep ruby orange and copper, different hues of red and burnt orange appear to "dance" around in the glass.

S: The first wave I got a lot of deep apricot. I keep my nose in the beer trying to pick out some of the caramelized vanilla grapefruit orange.

T: It has a very sweet and malty/bread beginning. It is clean and crisp in the middle, the finish is a touch more sweetness similar to the smell, then bitter hoppy resiny aftertaste.

M/D: I thought it was well balanced, considering the high ABV. It is coating the tongue, but doesn't really linger to long. I see it as more of a barley wine then a triple IPA. I liked it a lot and thought it was complex and well balanced. I was expecting hop overload, like Hop Dam. Demand of this beer raised prices in line with KBS and Nemesis, which I'm not sure it's worth it. I would enjoy it a lot more at 15.99-18.99. Guess I will just have to drink another one...

4.6/5  rDev +17%

Seeing this beer on the tap board as 'Founders Devil Dancer 13%' was the only advance warning of what was in store. I had no idea what style it was, only the name and ABV. Served in a snifter, the color was a cloudy burnt orange and the first sniff was of a muted hop well blended; a little grassy, a little floral, some citrus. The taste was out of this world. Medium body, balanced between syrupy and creamy. The mouth feel was very smooth. This is one beer that should not be passed up if you find it on tap, unless you're driving. The alcohol did not seem to present itself to me so it's deceptively 'hot'. I get the feeling that this beer was not a long shot or random but the result of alchemy in the truest sense.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%

had both as a 12 oz bottle in a pint glass and on tap in a snifter

it pours an amber color with red highlights. seems very hoppy with stong aftertaste. the bitterness hits just at the end of the sip. the alcohol is warming. thick and syrupy, but it still goes down smooth.

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%

Holy palate destroyers batman! Medium dark golden pour, cloudy. inch head. Smells of grapefruit, peach, almond and bread. Taste is Hopslam's hops + 1, and thats not always a good thing. It eschews any attempt at balance and just goes wild on hops. I like it, and its pretty unique, but I couldn't see this being a regular beer especially at the price. Though I would certainly recommend it for hop-heads and other adventurous souls.

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a reddish amber color with a small amount of foamy tan head.

Smell is very potent, lots of astringent hop flavors (citrus, pine, floral) mixed with heavy malts as well.

Taste is ridiculous, massive dose of bitter hop flavors accompanied by a syrupy sweet caramel malt. I know big crazy flavors is what Founders does, but I can't imagine Devil Dancer would appeal to many people beyond a committed core of hopheads...

Mouthfeel is very thick and heavy, almost like a hop syrup goo has been used to coat your mouth. Lots of alcohol in this one too.

Overall for me, Devil Dancer is just too much to enjoy.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours from the bottle a cloudy orangeish-red. Minimal head. Not a fantastic looking beer, but not bad either. The nose is surprisingly mild for this monster. I don't smell much - but here goes: citrus fruits, pine needles, and herbal notes. That's about all I get. The taste hits you hard - an assault after the subtle nose. It's like every hope variety in the world is included, and a sweet malty backbone attempts to balance it all. Bitter and sweet, but mostly bitter. Tastes of lemon, orange, grapefruit, pine resin, something almost medicinal, hot alcohols (fairly well covered under the bitterness), and caramel in the background. I'm reminded of an American Barleywine in the overall mouthfeel and taste. Top notch ale. Hence the price tag...

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

whoa...nellie.

this beer absolutely makes a beautiful pour. i couldn't stop admiring it really. it's slightly darker than most imperial ipa's- dense amber in appearance- and poured out with a nice head which didn't stay around long. no matter, with every move or tilt of the glass tiny bubbles of carbonation kept "dancing" with the surface.

ahh, the bouquet. citrus, piney hops and sweet malt all make their presence known- and it's just much too complex - but for me at least, the overall aromatic impression is pineapple.

well the taste didn't disappoint either. of course, strong hop character is the theme here...with notes of caramel and a nice, alcoholic warming finish. i'd like to guess at the complexity... but, i'm just drinking too fast to get the complexities.

resiny, syrupy mouthfeel with plenty of viscosity.

am i done? damn, give me another. this brew could be a palate killer if you plan switching to something else, but i would easily and most happily do three of these... if only i could- at 13% it's illegal to retail here in Ohio.

thanks to Travis for hooking me up with this, too bad i only have one.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company