Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Reviews: 1,434 | Ratings: 4,797
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Poured it hard (hard like a rock) and still only 1 finger of head. Murky auburn color with golden highlights.

S: Sweet malt flavor with hints of syrup, caramel, and dried fruit. Whispers of hops, but don’t tell anyone; I think it’s a secret. Also useful as a nose-hair trimmer because of the alcohol scent.

T: Aggressive raisin/fruity flavor. Every time I think it is going to get too sweet, the hops kick in and balance things out. I feel likes the (sweet) malt and (piney?) hops are having a brawl in my mouth for dominance; neither one wants to give in but neither is strong enough to conquer.

M: Thick. I don’t generally chew my IPAs, but this is an exception. Not bad, just substantial.

D: 13.0%. That’s how it feels and tastes. Strong, but fun. I like to drink it, but it is a challenge.

Notes: This is part of my “IPA Series” tonight. Starting with an IPA, then a DIPA, and finishing with a TIPA. Strong, flavorful, and unique. I have 200+ IBUs in my mouth and I like it.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Served chilled in a becker.

Poured a medium-to-light amber color that was pretty translucent which had a small off white head that quickly faded to an inconsistent band of lace around the glass. First aromas from the bottle reminded me of pineapple. When in the glass, however, the beer was less concentrated but not overly robust and opened up to scents of caramel, slight pine, slight citrus and very slight hop. The taste, on the other hand, was quite hoppy and had an expansive quality to it that did not fleet too quickly. It is not over boozy for a 12%'er, very shockingly so. Good level of hoppiness as well. I would expected it to be more syruppy and was pleasantly surprised. A great beer. Lucky find... one random bottle that fell out of a four pack.

Enjoy!

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a clear dark ruby with a half inch beige head and awesome lacing.

S: Aroma is incredibly juicy and fruity and has a distinct pot like smell. For all that hop smell there is actually some nice sweet malt in there.

T: Instead of some IPAs and DIPAs that hit you with the hops then finish with malt this one has hop flavor throughout and the malt peeks in intermittently which adds to the complexity. I had this on tap somewhere else the other day and it was way more bitter so I wonder if perhaps they were kegged at significantly different times. Either way, it's still bitter just not as crazy as I thought it'd be, but that's good. The fruit in it is very citrusy but the malt sweetness mixes well and brings in almost a soft berry flavor.

M: I would say this is pretty much perfect for a DIPA. Not too thick, not too light. Finishes nice and bitter.

D: If I didn't know I would probably guess this beer was 10% but I'm not surprised to read that it's 12%. That being said I think thy it's fairly well hidden but obviously one could only have so much.

O: Very nice DIPA. I'm glad I have the opportunity to have his on tap because the four packs are a bit of an investment. Not to say it's not worth it though, any hop head would be happy to have this brew.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Apple red color, mostly opaque. 1/2" head with big bubbles dissipates quickly with a few streaks.

S - Piney, malty, not that sweet

T - Very low carbonation. Smoky, malty, piney, not sweet, a pleasant hint of bitterness. Quite dry for an Imperial. ABV well hidden. Leave a very pleasant ale aftertaste.

M - Very soft, a little syrupy, but less than other high-ABV Imperials.

O - If not chuggable, certainly quaffable. Not a sipper. I like this beer

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly cloudy, deep Amber color with a minimal tan head. Smells of ripe, almost overripe fruit, sweet malts, oak and booze. Taste is quite boozy, in a very good way, blood orange with rind, some caramel sweetness and lots of hops. Not nearly as bitter as I would expect with an IBU of 112. Medium bodied mouthfeel with light carbonation. This is a beer to be sipped and enjoyed, not gulped. Very different and enjoyable.

Bottled 5/28/10...poured into Duvel glass

A- pours a cloudy dark reddish brown (looks like the color on the label where it says 'triple ipa'); nice head that disappears quicker than i was expecting, but I think the 12% might have something to do with that

S- grapefruit citrus, apple cider, a sweet and faint candied sugar smell; some pine in there but the remainder is mainly toasted and caramel malts

T- very similar in the taste with an apple skin bite at the end; it reminds me of granny smith apples soaked in brown sugar and dark rum; definitely get some orange and lemon rind and a bit of alcohol

M- pretty decent but I was hoping it be a bit fuller; aftertaste is what you'd expect with with citrus bitterness that isn't too dry and harsh

D- pretty intense beer; not very high drinkability in terms of more than one in an evening and in terms of seeking it out seasonally, but definitely a really nice one to try

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours an amber orange hue with very little head and almost no lacing. The beer is slightly hazy and almost looks like a syrup.

Smell is some tropical fruit, malt sweetness, and a boatload of pine. It almost smells like a cheap pine candle.

Taste is some tropical, a great deal of malt sweetness, and even more piney hops. I can understand how people smell onion, but I pick up highly concentrated pine, not onion.

The mouthfeel is thick and heavy, even cloying. There are loads of malt and little carbonation. The only reason you don't notice all the malt, is because there are more hops. Not very balanced.

Overall this is an interesting beer, very malty and even more hoppy. Both are overdone in my opinion. The hop profile is good, there are some great aromas in there, there is just too much of it. Same goes for the malt bill, I have had barley wines with less malt. The body needs to be thinner and there needs to be more carbonation to help all the flavors dance on the palate, it is called devil dancer after all.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance : Pours an ever-so-slightly opaque deep copper color, with tiny but persistent carbonation creating a loose 1/2" off-white head. Minor lacing retention in the glass.

Smell : I get toasted malty goodness, and a slight sense of hop bitterness mixed with a tiny bit of clove. At 12% abv, the alcohol is waving a little flag that says, "Welcome to Boozeville, drop your car keys and your pants, in that order."

Taste : First, there is a heavy malt sweetness not unlike that when cotton candy melts in your mouth, followed by a licorice or anise-tinged bitterness from the hops and a wallop of boozy alcohol at the end. It's bitter, to be sure, but the 'Triple IPA' on the label had me expecting more...something in that department.

Feel : Medium density, with a creamy and slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Overall : Maybe it's because of the 12% abv, or maybe it's the residual Manos mind-fry, but I'm having a little difficulty fully assessing this one right now. Founder's makes some great brews, and I'm sure this will have both its' fans and detractors, but I kind of think they should have labeled this one a barleywine. I was hoping for something with more complexity in the hops department, but I'm glad I tried it, and I think it's worth giving it a whirl. It would be interesting to taste it again after it aged a year or two to see how it might unfold.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sebago Brewing Co. tulip glass.
Found a freshness date, but it was partially erased. Bottled on the second day of a month in 2011. I let this sit for about ten minutes on the counter top before cracking the bottle.

Deep copper and somewhat clear, with a modest one finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Sticky lace abounds. Looks like an Imperial, very robust. The nose is pungent, skunky with a strong grapefruit note. First sip is full of caramel malt, with that cactusy, skunky and grapefruit bitter hop flavor coming in at the end. Alcohol, more grapefruit bitterness and more malt in the finish. Tastes like a slightly charred grilled caramelized grapefruit. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel, with a decent amount of carbonation. This is pungent. I think I can taste the 12% pretty clearly.

Not sure if I'm ranking a fresh bottle, or one that's been on the shelf for a while. I'll edit the review if I ever have a chance to have it again.

Not even halfway through, and I'm already breathing fire. Potent.

Pours a deep amber color, with a thin head that falls quickly. Noticible legs clinging to the sides of the glass. Nose has big fruitiness and citrusy hops. Flavor shows huge sweet malt, fruit, and carmel and big huge hops to balance it, with the hops showing nice flavor and not just bitterness. Definitely a beer reminiscent of DFH 120.

This one isn't for everyone, you have to love big hoppy beers to enjoy it. But if those beers are to your liking this is definitely one to seek out.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

poured into a pint glass..a pretty amber orange color with a creamy head which quickly fades...smells of carmeliized malt and hops dominate..,with so many hops the taste is piney at first but then the malt and alcohol take over and this beer is syrupy the hops linger on your tongue between sips....i enjoyed this one more than i thought i would ..would definitely drink again

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This Triple IPA means business...had it both in a bottle and on tap. I've got to say, if I had the review the bottle version of this beer I'd give it a 3.75, maybe a 4. On tap this beer was drastically different and absolutely brilliant.

A: A beautiful reddish brown matched with an off-white head.

S: Craziness in the aroma department here. Lovely citrus-pine smell.

T: Initially this one is pretty bitter, but it tapers out quickly into a very juicy IPA. In the bottle, the booziness lingers and burns a bit, but on tap the citrus hoppiness stays and there's less booziness. Wonderful taste overall.

M: Full bodied IPA done right. This was far more lightly carbonated than I thought it was going to be, but it was a nice surprise.

D: Because it's such a thick and boozy IPA, it was tough to drink many of these, but I enjoyed every sip of the ones I drank.

If you haven't had it, GET IT NOW.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

This is alcoholic hop juice and I approve. Triple IPA? I could see that. The color of this beer is intimidating even before you smell it, darker amber and hazed to all hell, even up to the lamp I can't see through the pint glass. Head doesnt retain too much either.

The smell is at once hop in your face...but really malty. My first thought was Hopslam on steroids, only due to the sweet malt in the background of the incredible hop aroma. A hint of caramel in there as well now that it has warmed up a touch.

Thankfully I chose this to be my one beer of the night, at 13%, because I wont be tasting anything less than Devil Dancer's hops until i brush my teeth, and that is even questionable if it will remove it. I can feel the oils on my tongue and it tastes great. The alcohol is there BUT not as much as I anticipated at 13% to be honest. The sweetness and heavy malts in the background do a great deal to tone it down a touch.

Definitely a one at a time beverage, good thing it wasn't a bomber.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Pours a fairly hazy dark copper color, with a minimal tan head. Decent bubbly lacing sticks around awhile. Not much carbonation to speak of.

Smell: Typical citrus and pine notes per the variety, but with an added whiff of alcohol to warm things up a bit. I think the alcohol helps bring out some of the sweeter characteristics of the hop aroma; getting some orange and mango to a greater degree than I might with a normal IPA.

Taste: Wow. I expected this to be quite a bit sweeter, given the ABV, but there is an equal and opposite hop reaction to this alcohol onslaught. There may be a little booziness up front, but the hop bitterness lasts for what seems like forever. Pretty syrupy, but there is enough bite from the hops to round things out nicely.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, yet crisp at the end. Fairly oily, but well-balanced. Not much carbonation, but you really don't need it will all of that hop presence.

Drinkability: Fairly drinkable when considered alongside beers of a similar alcohol content. Even so, this beer decimates the senses and might wear me out before too long.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours deep copper color with small head. Very minimal carbonation in this one.

S: Very strong aroma with huge hops and booze. Very pine oriented.

T/M: Strong hop profile and good medium body. Get a good amount of character from the hops, which are definitely drying. Also get some heat on this one from the high abv.

D: Like this one pretty good but not really over the top for it. I would get this one again if I had the chance but I wont be running around to find it.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

two 6 ounce pours shared with a friend. Paired with sharp cheddar cheese and colemans mustard and dark pretzels.

A: Super murky amber haze. Very little head, looks sort of like dirty pond water, I am not too appetized, but more intimidated by its looks.

S: The smell is extremely potent, Dank Weed, Onions, Chives, and earthy red grapes.

T: Wow this is one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. It tastes like marijuana juice, the hop oils are intense and the finish is dry and bitter. This is what I imagine sucking on a hops lollipop would taste like. Tere is a distinct hop spice. Its hard to comment on the sweet maltiness of it as the hops totally wreck yr pallette and coat your mouth and tongue, but there is an obvious strong malt backbone to this beer. I think this extreme beer tastes wonderful and slightly frightening at the same time.

M: This is a total sipper of a beast. I am drinking it almost like a scotch , slow and intently. I like sloshing it around my mouth, especially the tip of the tongue to begin, there is so much flavor to be detected in this beer, all the flavor zones in your mouth should be affected if you move it around. I wouldn't start the evening this as you won't taste much else afterward.

O: Overall, this is a ridiculous beer. My tongue is numb, I am slightly scared, but I welcome this experience now, and will revisit at some point in the indeterminate future. This is maybe the most intense beer I have ever tried, my mouth is on fire, I feel like the Devil IS dancing on my tongue, and Why did I so this to myself? However, I highly recommend trying this beer with a friend, it is just too much beer to handle alone, metaphysically speaking.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

bottled on 05/25/12

A: Began the poured slowly but became much more aggressive in order to create a head. A light tan head formed and then lasted only a few moments. The brew is a copper color with a red hue. It is also semi-translucent and does not appear cloudy.

S: The aroma is sweet grapefruit, and just a touch of pine and earthiness comes through, too.
T: The taste is very floral with some earthiness and a solid bitterness that turns to pepperiness in character. There is also some sweet caramel malt that blends with the bitterness and provides just enough balance to keep the bitterness and pepperiness from going too far. And, although the alcohol is well hidden there is just a little alcohol heat that compliments and focuses the bitterness.

M: The body is fairly heavy and satisfying; and, there is very little carbonation, which fits this beer well.

O: This beer has a bold hops bitterness that makes it truly unique. The malt sweetness is an underlying flavor that provides more to the complexity than balance. It has a pleasant floral flavor along with the raw, unbridled peppery bitterness that is the focus of this beer. The bitterness is sure to please hopheads.

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

I was very anxious to sample this beer from Founders, I've read quite a bunch of good reviews on this brew.

Appearance: Pours a dark hazy copper color with ruby like highlights. Doesn't have much of a head, no lacing, but a slightly oily texture that clings to the glass.

Smell: Very strong combination of hops and alcohol that will make you take notice. There seems to be a slight candy aroma mixed in.

Taste: Piney hops and alcohol are most prevalent. This flavor is not as strong the more sips you take. Leaves a bitter taste on the tongue, and a nice warm alcohol feel in the belly.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy bodied feel, with an slick oily texture.

Drinkability: Not bad, I don't think I could drink more than two in one sitting. Especially having a 13%abv. It leaves just a little too much of a bitter taste in my mouth. But I'll try it again after a few months of cellaring.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured into a Riedel stemless wine glass. Beer is a cloudy amber/red. Despite a vigorous pour, I had difficulty obtaining any head save a small fizzy layer that quickly dissipated. Some fine, fuzzy lacing clings to the side of the glass.

S: Incredibly intense floral/citrus hop aroma mixed with alcohol combine to render a scent nearly identical to Grand Marnier. It's quite intriguing for a beer.

T: Initially sweet taste reminds me of a liqueur. Ultra bitter hoppiness asserts itself on the swallow and aftertaste. I'm having trouble detecting the citrus and floral amid the bittering hops and thick malt backbone. Alcohol is quite prominent and takes more of a starring role as the beer warms. Tastes closer to a barleywine than an IPA.

M: Thick and syrupy, with only a touch of carbonation. Again, more of a liqueur feel than an average beer.

D: What qualifies as "drinkable" for a 13% ABV Triple IPA? This is definitely a sipping beer, and not one to be taken lightly. It is very boozy when young, so some age might take the edge off a bit. Can't say I'd reach for one of these often or invest in more than a few a year. Still, it's an interesting "extreme" beer that truly pushes the envelope.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got as a freebie in a recent trade. It was bottled 6/17/11 so i'm guessing it will be past it's prime, but, for documentation, I am going to review it.

Appearance: Golden amber with some red notes. Thin head

Smell: Grapefruit, with a large hop nose which is really impressive given how long ago it was bottled. It does a slight fruit funk to it; almost a very small does of banana? Again, it's probably past prime, but I'm still really impressed with how good and strong the nose is given the bottle date.

Taste: Very big hop profile to that, wow. Finishes in the classical, 'this was good but man this would have been a lot better a couple months ago'-past prime IPA bitter. It has some almost toffee or caramel to it. Some alcohol is present but still, damm, there is a lot of hop in there.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation in there moves things around nicely. Thickness is on point with the style.

Overall: Hop bomb! Wow there was some hops in there. Even 7 months after it was bottled, it still had a very floral palate and nose, very impressive! There was some good grapefruit in there but it was still past its prime. I really would love to try this fresh. *grumbles to self about freebie way past prime IPAs/ want to have this fresh!***

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

Purchased the last two single bottles available at a specialty beer store I drove by in my travels. Poured into a pint glass, not much of a head, hazy amber color. The smell is very hoppy and citrusy - definitely pleasant. I didn't particularly taste the 12% ABV in each sip which is nice for a high ABV beer. I'd recommend this for sure.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

Look out for this beer! It packs a heck of a punch. It looks ok out of the bottle. A dark orange color with a small head. Smell is very hop ladden as it should be. Very flavorful with a lot of hop citrus flavor to it. The ABV is just too much though. It brings the mouthfeel and defenitly the drinkability way down.
Don't make the mistake of doing a taste test between this and DFH 90min. You start speaking in toungs and have to ask people what happened last night.

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My bottle is marked 12% ABV as well, the highest (unfortunately) allowed in my state. Saw these going fast in my local beverage store, so I decided to pick up a single. Kind of pricey at $5.25 a pop! But being a hop head, I just had to know what a "triple" IPA tasted like.

12 oz. bottle poured into snifter.

A: Pours a delightful ruby red hue. Leaves a thin and quick to fade off white head. Faint lacing.

S: One of the better parts of this beer. Hit by grapefruit immediately and the piney hops as well. A bit of ethanol. Mmm.

T: Pretty good. Hoppy, but I actually expected more from a "triple" IPA. Maybe the Stone 13th Anniv. ruined me. Grapefruit citrus and hops followed by an ethanol burn. Well balanced I'd say, the malt definitely has presence and gives the beer a nice caramelized sugar sweetness.

M/D: Full bodied, a bit syrupy. I would like to have this one again, but I'm not sure if it's the right price.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled four days ago.

A: Dark copper with slight light penetration and a small white head. Lacing is minimal.

S: Sweet hops and citrus come through first. Oranges and malt fill the background notes. Very clean smelling.

T: Burnt oranges come through stronger than anything else (in a good way.) Plenty of juicy hop flavors with a caramel malt sweetness. A little bit of heat comes through. This kind of reminds me of a nicer version of FFF's Arctic Panzer Wolf.

M: Orange rinds and bitterness leave a long finish. Medium carbonation.

O: This is my first Devil Dancer, and after hearing all the onion and garlic bashing about this I was expecting something offensive. Instead I happily found very strong orange notes instead of onions. Sort of pricey (paid $6 for a single bottle), but it's definitely worth at least one try. I would buy more if I had the money!

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange red color with a cream colored head that is leaving nice lacing and sticking around nicely.

S: I could smell this beer all day. Grapefruit hoppyness, a syrupy sweetness, and just a touch of alcohol in the nose.

T: Tastes like a ripe sweet ruby red grapefruit and caramel. Not too sweet and not too bitter. A taste of strawberry jam as the beer warms in my mouth.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and full; very enjoyable.

D: This beer is very well balanced for a 12% abv TIPA. Incredibly drinkable.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company