Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,401 | Hads: 4,596
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampled on 3-19-08

Pours a deep and slightly hazy red/orange, with a nicely thick tan head that leaves huge, glass-covering lacing.

Smell is all hop resin, super thick and fruity. Just a hint of alcohol adds a huge intensity.

Taste is like liquid hops. The bitterness is so extreme you can actually "feel" it on your lips. But, there is a sizable malt presence to keep it somewhat in check. The alcohol adds a tart finish, but is otherwise well masked.

Mouthfeel is great, super thick and syrupy.

Drinkability isn't bad, but the bitterness and alcohol are absolutely insane.

Overall the most extreme IPA I've ever had. Nothing else is even close. Founder's describes it as a "Triple IPA", and they are dead-on. (716 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter
Purchased 5/07, has been cellaring for the past 10 months

A - Pours a ruby colored brown/orange mixture with a slight light tan head. Lacing is nice but minimal when it does develop. Darker and redder than many Double/Imperial IPAs.

S - Scent is caramelized sugar with some strong pine and grapefruit citrus flavor. Malt is as powerful a scent as the hops, showing how this beer has aged. A bit of a woody flavor is detected.

T - I'm guessing the hops have mellowed a bit in this beer, but I've never really had a fresh version. Instead of a smack of intense bittering hops you get a nicely alcoholic, woody and sweet malt flavor with a good dose of tart citrus flavor. Not all that different from am American barleywine. The aftertaste is still very bitter, but the malt flavor is stronger than expected. Piney hop flavor starts coming through strong as this beer warms. The alcohol is adequately disguised for a 13% beer.

M - Moderate carbonation with a medium body. Oily hop flavor on the tongue. Aftertaste is very drying.

D - Strong alcohol that is only slightly perceived in the taste. Not my favorite beer for aging, but interesting nonetheless.

The other day I read in the forums that someone compared a certain aged DIPA to a barleywine, and now I totally understand that comparison. The sweet, complex malt bill has pushed forward onto your palate while the tastebud killing hops have retreated. Anyhow, I don't love barleywines so this aged version isn't my favorite. It is interesting though, and if the hops are too strong in Devil Dancer for you initially, I'd consider aging it for a couple months or more. (1,665 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle poured into my Sam Adams new crazy pint glass thing

A: Pours a clear, burnt amber copper, like a deeper version on a the flesh of a blood orange, with a one inch creamy sandy white head. The head disappera into rings in a few but I was suprised it stayed that long considering the ABV, there is also substantial lacing left behind as well. If the head lasted a while longer and the lacing were a bit thicker I'd give this one a 5 for sure, the color is enough to bowl me over.

S: I feel like this thing is only hinting at the booziness in store for me as I can't really pick up any fusel alcohol in the nose, there is however a strong and oily pine kick to the nostrils, the mixes with a super citrus acidity that keeps the sweetness I'm picking up here from becoming cloying, a bit medicinal in character but not so much so to be distracting or unappetizing for that matter.

T/MF: WOW, this beer is INTENSE. I can understand why people want to call this one a barlywine because I was shocked by how sweet this one tastes. Though it seems like this is what happens why the ABV on these IIPAs gets this high, because the same seems to be said abouot the DHF 120min IPA and something I sort of remeber in Avery's Maharaja. All that being said I don't find this sweetness off putting in anyway it just does not seem to fit in that super hoppy character that defines IIPAs. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick initally with very slight carbonation and intense oily hopiness. Damn is this beer indulgent, there is a wonderful alcoholic heat to this beer that is not refreshing in any sense of the word, but is instead exhilerating, something to behold. It is very exciting to drink this as flavors of sweet almost overly ripe mellon, pineapple and sweet mango grab hold of your tongue and won't let go until an alcholoic heat overwhelms them and sort of takes over the beer until the slick finish.

D: Very big beer and as a result a beer that takes time to drink, though as it warms its sweetness borders along cloying and you get really full from drinking 12oz of it, not to mentioned a bit buzzed, still enjoyable and still a must try for any hophead. (2,162 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep brown, smallish head, low carbonation, & a good amount of oily lacing.

Sweet caramel, vanilla malt mixed with a decent citrus hop aroma. Brown sugar, molasses notes added to the bit of honey aroma.

Very sweet on the palate and silky on the tounge. Initial taste is a sweet, earthy maltiness followed with a building hopppy bitterness. The high IBU reveals itself at the end leaving a lasting tanginess in the mouth. I could feel the alcohol more in the stomach then the mouth or throat.

This one certainly reminds me of a barleywine or strong ale, more so then an IIPA; though it does state it's a Triple IPA (which would be my first). I really enjoyed the beer but I must admit that I was expecting more of a hop bomb. Pace yourself, packs a nice punch. (772 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Split a bottle with a few friends. While the alcohol is very well hidden, it's reasonably thick considering the 13% alcohol. The nose was all fruity citrus hops - like big-time fruit punch with orange and grapefruit leading the charge. The flavors offers more juicy hops along with a sweet malt backbone. It finishes with a decent bitterness and a more herbal hop aftertaste. Frankly I'm not surprised this isn't more bitter, I think there's just too much malt for this to really whack your palate. Still a tasty and fun beer that I'm glad I tried. (548 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

My 100th Review!!! Cheers!

Pours a rich brown with a nice hoppy smell. No head comes from this beer. I pours semi-hard too.

The taste is very creamy and hoppy. Its pretty decent. I dont know if its cold enough though. I like this beer but something is missing.

Overall, its a good brew with a nice alcohol content. I would get it again but its a little pricey. I MIGHT get this again. (388 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

Appears to be dark amber with little head

Citrus, citrus, citrus--Awesome.

Grapefruit right away followed by a semi-sweetness, and followed by a mellow grapefruit bite.

THICK! This one took about an hour to get through. Balance gets even better near end (proablay from temperature and my mouth adjusting to the extreme hop count)

High ABV, and defineately a closer type of beer, but could probably drink 2 of these in a typical evening (over a couple of hours).

Founders has yet to disapoint this guy. (507 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

From a bottle of the 2008 Devil Dancer poured into my Bell's Tulips glass.

A - An amber color with a definite reddish hue that actually seems to remind me of the color of the bottle's label. Mildly opaque with a slight amount of carbonation that sat on top. A small head formed on top and did not last at all as only a few bubbles sat on the top.

S - smell is much sweeter than I ever expected. Get a strong shot of toffee in there mixed in with some of mango. Only get a slight hint of a piney hops coming forward from that one.

T - Hmm this is actually a really sweet brew as it seems the malt behind it seems to be there a lot more than the hops. Get a sweet syrupy, toffee taste that initially sits in there and only at the end do i get any of the piney hops that I expected from a beer that claims to be a Triple IPA. In the sweet aspect there also seems to be a hint of a shortbread cookie as well and also a hint of a banana. Even in the end don't get any of the puckering hops that I was hoping to get. have to say though that the sweetness does a great job of hiding the high alcohol which could make this drinkable.

MF - a big old thick beer that comes in strong and just coats all over the tongue. Seems to be on the verge of actually being too thick and there is also a slight syrupy aspect to this one as well. There is barely any carbonation at all in this one as it only seems to come up a bit at the end.

D- hmm not really as in your face as I expected. Overall thought this was a hoppy BW than an actual DIPA and much sweeter than I ever would have expected. Really seems a bit unbalanced on the sweet side which just seems out of place for something that claims to be a triple IPA. this is the first Founder's beer that I've had outside of the Breakfast stout and KBS and while it is good, the sweetness get to me after awhile. Wish there was a bit more hops to balance it out. (1,900 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a deep coppery red color with a thin cream colored head. The bubbles have to fight through the body of this baby to get to the top.

Pineapple, peach, and grapefruit all resound in a juiced up hoppy nose, sugary, but with plenty of bite. Resinous hops linger, adding a course grainy scent and some stale funk in the back. Malt and alcohol kind of mingle in equal doses, very hidden in the big hop smells.

Hop flavors encompass the breadth of all that hops have to offer, from citrus fruit and juice to intensely resinous and coarse. Malt serves to add some depth of flavor, but with little identity on its own. Dry bitterness at the finish rises slowly and coats the back of the tongue in sticky resin. I've always balked at the term 'horse blanket' to describe beer, but it's in there too with some hay and stank. Lots of alcohol flavor and heat.

Feel is full. Too dry to be syrupy, but close in texture - sticky and big. Some moderate carbonation attempts to perk it up, but struggles against the body. I can't seem to peel the resin away from my palate.

As much as I love huge IPAs, this one suffers in drinkability. Not only is the malt somewhat out of balance, the hops themselves don't all agree within the profile, with the alcohol throwing things in an even more intense direction. For all the negatives of this beer, I'm finding myself hooked on it. (1,367 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

I had this one in the bottle about a year or so ago when it was fresh. I thought I was going to love it back then, but was disappointed. I just had a fresh bottle again tonight (which I just picked up in Chicago), and I was still disappointed. In contrast, I also just had DD on tap at the Maproom in Chicago and thought it was incredible. The tap version is quite malty, but with a strong blast of fresh hop aroma and hop flavor along with a sizable bitterness. I would call it a "clean, hoppy, malty, American barleywine" instead of some sort of IPA, but whatever you call it...it was fantastic. In fact, I liked it so much, I had a second snifter of it. On the other hand, the bottled version seems to have a fairly complex fruity/malty flavor along with an adequate bitterness, but the hop flavor and aroma are severely lacking compared to the tap version. The bottled version also has a strong dirtiness to it as well which wasn't in the tap version. The bottled version (even though it was fresh) tastes very much like it's been aged for many months. It appears that Founders is one of many breweries where the bottled beers taste significantly different/inferior to the tap versions. I like the Founders beers I've had quite a lot, but to taste them at their best, it seems you need to have them on tap. My review of DD is based on the superior tap version. (1,364 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap poured into a snifter glass.

A- It poured a deep amber red, with a thin lace and very light carbonation.

S- Intially really hoppy. It had lots of citrus and floral notes that allowed more sweet malts to come through as it warmed. By the end, it was a lot more balanced.

T- Like the aroma, it was initially full of grapefruit hop flavor. As the beer warmed, there were more notable sweet malts to balance the bitter flavors. The alcohol wasn't overwhelming, but it wasn't really masked either.

M- The feel was decently thick. There wasn't a lot of carbonation, but the hops added a bit of a bite.

D- It was a decent sipper. The high ABV would keep me from drinking more than a small serving at any one sitting. (721 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

A - Very light red appearance with copper highlights... Little or no head or lace... Very inviting appearance...

S - Bitter hops and grapefruit... And more bitter hops... Subtle, but not too over powering...

T - Very pronounced hops taste... Firm yet flavorful... Taste lingers, doesn't dissipate and remains solid throughout until the next sip...

M - Wow, exceptionally smooth, almost silky... Given the ABV, I'm shocked how easy it is to drink...

D - Exceptionally vibrant brew... Given the strong hops and ABV content, I was surprised at how drinkable this was... If there is such a thing as a 13% ABV session beer, this is it...

All around a job well done by Founders... This is my first Founders brew and I look forward to sampling many of their others... (766 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -43.3%

Devil Dancer Triple IPA 13 % ABV . Label is colored a reddish /auburn hue . There is a woman who is being held by the Devil no doubt with orange flames comming from underneath . Smell is some hops and very " boozy ". Alcohol aroma is very prominent . On the tongue it is hot and intense . As the alcohol warms it is not very pleasant . The lacing in nice to look at all over the glass . Few more sips solidifies my thoughts that this is just too boozy , medicinal . Booze bomb that is harsh , thick , and just not worth trying again . The Devil Dancer will leave your throat and mouth with an oily fire . (604 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

I grabbed this at the great local Piccadilly, and they had some in the back room for regular and discriminating patrons. I'm pleased and honored to be considered among them. A finger of head caps a brown-orange body, with thick lacing around the Yankees pint glass all the way down. The smell is thick with hops, but caramel emerges with enough prodding. Same with the taste, although there is enough citrus and spice to reflect good complexity. Devil Dancer is certainly bitter, but complex enough to offer a smooth texture. I'd characterize it as loaded, rather than larded down, with hops, and the difference is significant. While impossible to miss the hop flavor in this beast, it doesn't stifle other elements.

This is a very tasty but also distinct DIPA, one reminiscent of barleywine to a degree with its strong, thick taste extending well beyond well-hopped. Very impressive, Devil Dancer is a DIPA around which to tread warily. (938 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to markgugs for this tasty treat.

Burgandy/brown in color with a thin tan head that erodes rather quickly. Thick looking. Little light gets through.
Wow! This smells like a woman's purfume. Tons of fruity hops with some fusal alcohol.
Rich malt flavors. Caramel, brown sugar. Tons of fruity hoppy flavors. Straight brandy and some rum. Taste more like a liquer.
Mouthfeel is THICK and very filling. You can also feel the alcohol.
Not a very drinkable beer. Best served in a shot glass or in a whisky glass on the rocks. But I amidantly am a light weight.
This taste nothing like a DIPA. It's a good and interesting beer but I'm not sure if I'll try another. (665 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Pours a great brownish-red with little head

S: Has a fruity smell. One of the best smelling beers I've run into yet.

T: What else can I say, might be the best beer I've had yet!!

M: A bit bitter off the bat, but mellows out to leave a sweeter after taste. Enjoyable indeed.

D: At %13 you could get in trouble, but drinking a bunch of these is not out of the question.

One of the best beers I've had yet (410 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -2%

Dark brown with thin creamy head. Nothing pale about this beer. Looks thick and syrupy.

Strawberry,mango, grapefruit, tobacco, orange juice, and pine in the nose. Pleasant.

Big and sweet upfront. Lots of caramel and toffee flavors in fact the hop flavors are masked until the latter half of the sip. Candied orange flavors along side of tobacco and woody flavors in the middle. Pine and lots of it. The finish is bitter but not too aggressive with some alcohol bite as well.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and a bit oily in a good way. You are not going to be sipping this beast in the summer that's for sure. Very large brew. This is an American Barleywine despite being labeled as a TIPA, but who cares about styles? It's a good beer and you should try it. (760 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a beautiful orangey blood red with almost no head which is its only downfall.

S- Smell is very sweet, hoppy, bits of floral pine come through a bit of red ale in the nose.

T- Taste is awesome, however a bit unbalanced. When you do the huge triple IPAs like pliny the younger and so on I think theres a very fine line between on and off balance, the bigger you get I think you have to really get it right. All of that said I really do love the taste though, starts out smooth, malty sweet and a wave of hops breaks over the tongue and lingers for quite a while.

M- Mouthfeel is super thick with a low dose of carbonation, a bit too thick for me but it fits well with the style.

D- Not hugely drinkable I loved to enjoy this one. An awesome TIPA, I would recommend it to any hophead out there as one of the best and by far the best that is semi-commonly available. (875 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

this beer poured an orangish-brown with very little head. the smell was mostly hops with a bit of fruitiness and spice also present in the nose. there is a good balance of malty sweetness to go along with the hop bitterness. the finish is a bit bitter. this beer seemed to be a bit thinner than i expected, but it seemed to get a bit better as time passed. this is a fairly easy to drink beer, although, due to the high abv, i couldn't handle more than one or so. (463 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer poured a clear brown with very little head. The aroma is very hoppy with a slight sweetness noticeable. The taste is very, very hoppy with a sweet, citrus flavor also noticeable. I think it turned my tongue inside out! This is an excellent beer, but might be a bit intense for easy drinking. (301 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked these up at UFS. $11.99 for a four pack of 12oz brown bottles with twist off caps. I looked for a bottled date or freshness date but could not find one. 13% ABV

Pored into a large 23oz beer glass and did not produce much of a head at all. The head was an off white with very tight small bubbles. The color was a burnt orange and amber. When held up to the light you could see the carbonated bubbles slowly rising to the top of the glass.

You could smell the presence of hops rite off and then some fruity aromas that I could not nail down.

The green taste of hops is what I noticed first off. I keep getting this mental picture of rose stems. Then a very pleasant sweet taste of fruit, honey, and sweet malt that finishes a mild alcohol bite and the bittering hop taste stays with you/

The mouth feel is thick like syrup or honey with a little carbonation and some warming going on.

I could only drink two of these in one sitting and the alcohol will sneak up on you so handle with care. Over all it is very drinkable and I highly recommend it. I think this stuff will continue age nicely. (1,102 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Yep...one of my new favorites within the style. A monster but not really a hop bomb. Pours a murky ruby orange/mahogany color. Thin head that forms a ring and sticky lacing down the glass. Smell is a fresh and piney blast of hops with an impressive malt backbone. Caramel and biscuity malt waft into the air. A bittery crisp sugared grapefruit as well. Taste is just as good as the smell. A well balanced beast of a brew, if that's possible. Slightly warming alcohol but not 13% warm. Resinous and oily in the mouth. A little tickle on the tongue but more of a creamy sensation and big body. Great drinkability. Founders does it again. (635 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Wanted to try this one for a bit, finally went back into stock at Abe's. 12 oz bottle poured into a wide tulip to swirl and enjoy.

Coppery red color with some sparse light tan head that didn't retain and didn't leave any lacing. Starting to seem more and more like a barleywine.

Smell is caramel malts, pretty sweet, very boozy with a big hop presence as well. Smells a lot like a big hoppy barleywine. Taste is right on for a barleywine as well. Sweet malts balanced with big alcohol and hops. Mouthfeel is kind of sticky, medium low carbonation. Drinkability is limited by how big this one is, i guess they give you appropriate warning but this should probably just be labeled a barley wine. (695 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Bottle Inspection: 13% abv., not much else, but what’s left to say?

Aroma: Wow! Massive assault, tar like pine and citric waves. Heavy everything, alcoholic under attenuated malt, bales of hops, I think this was made with heavy water.

Appearance: Deceptively clear amber glass holds a scanty cover that draws curtains of lace.

Flavor: Citric punch, orange and lime juice, a firm tea quality (all hop driven madness), the slightly under attenuated malt sweetness, and a surprisingly light and clean finish. A little alcohol peeks through, but only intensifies the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium heavy body with no chew and a light oily quality. Low carbonation.

Overall Impression: Wow. Hard core beer, but really well made and really good to drink. The profile reminds me of Arrogant Bastard and 120 minute IPA, heavy west coast hops with a firm malt back. Seriously good beer, strongly recommended. (903 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a ruby red in an oversized wine glass. minimal head.

Smell like citrusy hops. Why would this smell like anything else. However, this is almost barleywine like in smell.

Tastes like grapefruity hops. It's very strong but very good. Some of these IIPA's are like eating hops. Tis does not have that pucker factor. Easy to drink for a big beer.

Feels good. That's why I said it was good.

Yeah, I'ld drink this again. I love a good IIPA. to me, strong hoppy beers are something to look forward too. This is not something to turn down. If you do I'll drink it for you. (573 characters)

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company