Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,343 | Reviews: 1,371

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip glass. Bottled 05/03/14

A- Pours a medium hazy deep ruby with a tiny tan head that dissipated quickly. Definite alcohol legs on the glass.

S- Lots of sweet malt notes. Dark fruits of date, cherry, amaretto, the alcohol is there but not overwhelming. Some spicy hop character, maybe light pineapple, maybe a big Magnum hop presence? Not the big hop aroma I was expecting from a beer that was dry hopped for so long.

T- Similar to arom a, dark fruits, sweet, not as much alcohol as I was expecting from what I've heard. There are hops here but not in the realm of what I consider a TIPA, more of a smooth bitterness.

M- Pretty syrupy and a definite sipper.

O- This is really a barleywine, not an IPA. With that in mind it is a pretty good barleywine. Really love the color, nice sweet malts, and the hops are great for an American version of an English barleywine. My one major gripe is with the price, 20 bucks for a 4-pack is a bit much for a beer that does't taste that much different than Bigfoot, which I think is actually noticeably more hoppy. I can imagine a barrel aged version of this would be great.

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazy dark amber color with decent head. Nose is boozy, some tea notes, candied aromas, and earthy floral. Palate offers a whollop of hops and malt, plenty of bitterness, but is actually quite drinkable for the IBU and ABV. Boozy, yes, but still drinkable somehow. Worth trying as a novelty, even if someone isn't a regular consumer for the style range.

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured in to a glass from a bottle. Head was nonexistent. Not an awful beer, but definitely not what I have come to expect from Founders and definitely not justifiably $20 for a four pack. For my palate I taste more alcohol than flavor. Now that I've had it I'd doubtfully buy it again.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Very beautiful dark honey color with a disappointing head

S - Smells sweet and hoppy but noticeable alcohol

T - Not consistent taste (I know it sounds weird) at first it was sharp and boozy and bitter, and
then it went well balanced and malty.

M - May have been the batch but this is a very flat beer (not carbonated well and poor complexity)

O - Payed 20 for a 4 pack so I'm rather disappointed since it's my first triple IPA, I can think of a ton of DIPAs and IIPAs much cheaper and way more enjoyable. Founder can do better

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Bottleneck says Bottled 05/14/2014

A- Pours a dark ruby red with a 1/2 inch light tan head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Solid thick ring of lacing glides slowly down the glass.

S- Strong cereal grain sweetness and a bit sharp from the hops and booze. All works well together.

T- Damn, son. At first there's a nice burst of hops and malty sweetness but then the alcohol rears its ugly head making it downhill to the finish. As the palate acclimates, it gets a bit easier to drink. Also, as the beer warms, the flavors become more cohesive. I want to say it's like a barleywine but it doesn't have that barleywine zing to it. The bitterness melds with the sweetness in a way I haven't seen in a hoppy high gravity beer before. Notes of honey, caramel and pine. Boozy aftertaste.

M- A bit syrupy but also has a dry afterfeel. Medium carbonation and a fullish body.

O- I keep making comparisons to Brown Shugga with this beer, particularly in the aroma, but I like it better than Brown Shugga for sure. I just wish it wasn't quite so boozy. I'm really curious to see how this develops in the bottle after a few months. I know that Brown Shugga doesn't really improve with age but I have higher hopes for this since it's not quite as sweet and the ABV is higher. I might change my score after having an aged bottle.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company