Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Reviews: 1,439 | Ratings: 4,817
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

This is literally a tale of two brews..

Poured out a brackish brownish thick viscous syrup with no head at all..

When this brew was cold, a sweet malty aroma wafted out of this but as it warmed, the hops really began to shine through along with lots of booze..

Extremely sweet and malty in the beginning and I was wondering where the hops had gotten to, but as it warmed up, those hops really came through and saved this one.

This was a weird one for me. I loved the taste but was expecting something different, hoppier I guess. Still a good brew.

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

First off let me say that I love IPAs and this beer scared me.

Pour= Redish brown color with very little head disappearing into very little to no head.

Smell= Hops and syrup. Grapefruit and alc.

Mouth= thick syrup and bite.

Taste= Hops Hops Hops and more hops

Drinkability= Very drinkable. Nowonder they sell it in a four pack and not a six, six would kill you.

I highly recommend for IPA lovers!

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

A: pours a dark reddish/brown with a 1 fingered, viscous light tan head that struggles to stay formed. the head drops to a modest covering within minutes. devil dancer appears to be a malty IIPA, which is much to my liking.

S: Piney/Grapfruit hops hit me right away, with an underlying whiff of alcohol. I am not smelling any malt, which seems so pronounced in the appearance.

T: Strong hop bitterness, a dead heat between the pine, and the grapefruit that was picked up in the aroma. sweet malt flavor is very noticeable too, however, and it comes across as a great balance between the two. I don't notice too much of an alcohol taste, but I can still smell it strongly. Also picking up a rich fruitiness, which I attribute to the yeast strain(s).

M: Creamy, thick, and oily, but all in a fantastic balance. This is a full bodied beauty .

O: This is a big beer that doesn't feel the need to rely on over-doing one aspect of it's own style. I don't feel this is a hop-bomb at all. A well balanced, quaffable IIPA that could only disappoint serious hop heads. This is sure to be one of my new favorite seasonals.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Sampled on 3-19-08

Pours a deep and slightly hazy red/orange, with a nicely thick tan head that leaves huge, glass-covering lacing.

Smell is all hop resin, super thick and fruity. Just a hint of alcohol adds a huge intensity.

Taste is like liquid hops. The bitterness is so extreme you can actually "feel" it on your lips. But, there is a sizable malt presence to keep it somewhat in check. The alcohol adds a tart finish, but is otherwise well masked.

Mouthfeel is great, super thick and syrupy.

Drinkability isn't bad, but the bitterness and alcohol are absolutely insane.

Overall the most extreme IPA I've ever had. Nothing else is even close. Founder's describes it as a "Triple IPA", and they are dead-on.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter
Purchased 5/07, has been cellaring for the past 10 months

A - Pours a ruby colored brown/orange mixture with a slight light tan head. Lacing is nice but minimal when it does develop. Darker and redder than many Double/Imperial IPAs.

S - Scent is caramelized sugar with some strong pine and grapefruit citrus flavor. Malt is as powerful a scent as the hops, showing how this beer has aged. A bit of a woody flavor is detected.

T - I'm guessing the hops have mellowed a bit in this beer, but I've never really had a fresh version. Instead of a smack of intense bittering hops you get a nicely alcoholic, woody and sweet malt flavor with a good dose of tart citrus flavor. Not all that different from am American barleywine. The aftertaste is still very bitter, but the malt flavor is stronger than expected. Piney hop flavor starts coming through strong as this beer warms. The alcohol is adequately disguised for a 13% beer.

M - Moderate carbonation with a medium body. Oily hop flavor on the tongue. Aftertaste is very drying.

D - Strong alcohol that is only slightly perceived in the taste. Not my favorite beer for aging, but interesting nonetheless.

The other day I read in the forums that someone compared a certain aged DIPA to a barleywine, and now I totally understand that comparison. The sweet, complex malt bill has pushed forward onto your palate while the tastebud killing hops have retreated. Anyhow, I don't love barleywines so this aged version isn't my favorite. It is interesting though, and if the hops are too strong in Devil Dancer for you initially, I'd consider aging it for a couple months or more.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle poured into my Sam Adams new crazy pint glass thing

A: Pours a clear, burnt amber copper, like a deeper version on a the flesh of a blood orange, with a one inch creamy sandy white head. The head disappera into rings in a few but I was suprised it stayed that long considering the ABV, there is also substantial lacing left behind as well. If the head lasted a while longer and the lacing were a bit thicker I'd give this one a 5 for sure, the color is enough to bowl me over.

S: I feel like this thing is only hinting at the booziness in store for me as I can't really pick up any fusel alcohol in the nose, there is however a strong and oily pine kick to the nostrils, the mixes with a super citrus acidity that keeps the sweetness I'm picking up here from becoming cloying, a bit medicinal in character but not so much so to be distracting or unappetizing for that matter.

T/MF: WOW, this beer is INTENSE. I can understand why people want to call this one a barlywine because I was shocked by how sweet this one tastes. Though it seems like this is what happens why the ABV on these IIPAs gets this high, because the same seems to be said abouot the DHF 120min IPA and something I sort of remeber in Avery's Maharaja. All that being said I don't find this sweetness off putting in anyway it just does not seem to fit in that super hoppy character that defines IIPAs. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick initally with very slight carbonation and intense oily hopiness. Damn is this beer indulgent, there is a wonderful alcoholic heat to this beer that is not refreshing in any sense of the word, but is instead exhilerating, something to behold. It is very exciting to drink this as flavors of sweet almost overly ripe mellon, pineapple and sweet mango grab hold of your tongue and won't let go until an alcholoic heat overwhelms them and sort of takes over the beer until the slick finish.

D: Very big beer and as a result a beer that takes time to drink, though as it warms its sweetness borders along cloying and you get really full from drinking 12oz of it, not to mentioned a bit buzzed, still enjoyable and still a must try for any hophead.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Pours a deep brown, smallish head, low carbonation, & a good amount of oily lacing.

Sweet caramel, vanilla malt mixed with a decent citrus hop aroma. Brown sugar, molasses notes added to the bit of honey aroma.

Very sweet on the palate and silky on the tounge. Initial taste is a sweet, earthy maltiness followed with a building hopppy bitterness. The high IBU reveals itself at the end leaving a lasting tanginess in the mouth. I could feel the alcohol more in the stomach then the mouth or throat.

This one certainly reminds me of a barleywine or strong ale, more so then an IIPA; though it does state it's a Triple IPA (which would be my first). I really enjoyed the beer but I must admit that I was expecting more of a hop bomb. Pace yourself, packs a nice punch.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Split a bottle with a few friends. While the alcohol is very well hidden, it's reasonably thick considering the 13% alcohol. The nose was all fruity citrus hops - like big-time fruit punch with orange and grapefruit leading the charge. The flavors offers more juicy hops along with a sweet malt backbone. It finishes with a decent bitterness and a more herbal hop aftertaste. Frankly I'm not surprised this isn't more bitter, I think there's just too much malt for this to really whack your palate. Still a tasty and fun beer that I'm glad I tried.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

My 100th Review!!! Cheers!

Pours a rich brown with a nice hoppy smell. No head comes from this beer. I pours semi-hard too.

The taste is very creamy and hoppy. Its pretty decent. I dont know if its cold enough though. I like this beer but something is missing.

Overall, its a good brew with a nice alcohol content. I would get it again but its a little pricey. I MIGHT get this again.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Appears to be dark amber with little head

Citrus, citrus, citrus--Awesome.

Grapefruit right away followed by a semi-sweetness, and followed by a mellow grapefruit bite.

THICK! This one took about an hour to get through. Balance gets even better near end (proablay from temperature and my mouth adjusting to the extreme hop count)

High ABV, and defineately a closer type of beer, but could probably drink 2 of these in a typical evening (over a couple of hours).

Founders has yet to disapoint this guy.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

From a bottle of the 2008 Devil Dancer poured into my Bell's Tulips glass.

A - An amber color with a definite reddish hue that actually seems to remind me of the color of the bottle's label. Mildly opaque with a slight amount of carbonation that sat on top. A small head formed on top and did not last at all as only a few bubbles sat on the top.

S - smell is much sweeter than I ever expected. Get a strong shot of toffee in there mixed in with some of mango. Only get a slight hint of a piney hops coming forward from that one.

T - Hmm this is actually a really sweet brew as it seems the malt behind it seems to be there a lot more than the hops. Get a sweet syrupy, toffee taste that initially sits in there and only at the end do i get any of the piney hops that I expected from a beer that claims to be a Triple IPA. In the sweet aspect there also seems to be a hint of a shortbread cookie as well and also a hint of a banana. Even in the end don't get any of the puckering hops that I was hoping to get. have to say though that the sweetness does a great job of hiding the high alcohol which could make this drinkable.

MF - a big old thick beer that comes in strong and just coats all over the tongue. Seems to be on the verge of actually being too thick and there is also a slight syrupy aspect to this one as well. There is barely any carbonation at all in this one as it only seems to come up a bit at the end.

D- hmm not really as in your face as I expected. Overall thought this was a hoppy BW than an actual DIPA and much sweeter than I ever would have expected. Really seems a bit unbalanced on the sweet side which just seems out of place for something that claims to be a triple IPA. this is the first Founder's beer that I've had outside of the Breakfast stout and KBS and while it is good, the sweetness get to me after awhile. Wish there was a bit more hops to balance it out.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a deep coppery red color with a thin cream colored head. The bubbles have to fight through the body of this baby to get to the top.

Pineapple, peach, and grapefruit all resound in a juiced up hoppy nose, sugary, but with plenty of bite. Resinous hops linger, adding a course grainy scent and some stale funk in the back. Malt and alcohol kind of mingle in equal doses, very hidden in the big hop smells.

Hop flavors encompass the breadth of all that hops have to offer, from citrus fruit and juice to intensely resinous and coarse. Malt serves to add some depth of flavor, but with little identity on its own. Dry bitterness at the finish rises slowly and coats the back of the tongue in sticky resin. I've always balked at the term 'horse blanket' to describe beer, but it's in there too with some hay and stank. Lots of alcohol flavor and heat.

Feel is full. Too dry to be syrupy, but close in texture - sticky and big. Some moderate carbonation attempts to perk it up, but struggles against the body. I can't seem to peel the resin away from my palate.

As much as I love huge IPAs, this one suffers in drinkability. Not only is the malt somewhat out of balance, the hops themselves don't all agree within the profile, with the alcohol throwing things in an even more intense direction. For all the negatives of this beer, I'm finding myself hooked on it.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

I had this one in the bottle about a year or so ago when it was fresh. I thought I was going to love it back then, but was disappointed. I just had a fresh bottle again tonight (which I just picked up in Chicago), and I was still disappointed. In contrast, I also just had DD on tap at the Maproom in Chicago and thought it was incredible. The tap version is quite malty, but with a strong blast of fresh hop aroma and hop flavor along with a sizable bitterness. I would call it a "clean, hoppy, malty, American barleywine" instead of some sort of IPA, but whatever you call it...it was fantastic. In fact, I liked it so much, I had a second snifter of it. On the other hand, the bottled version seems to have a fairly complex fruity/malty flavor along with an adequate bitterness, but the hop flavor and aroma are severely lacking compared to the tap version. The bottled version also has a strong dirtiness to it as well which wasn't in the tap version. The bottled version (even though it was fresh) tastes very much like it's been aged for many months. It appears that Founders is one of many breweries where the bottled beers taste significantly different/inferior to the tap versions. I like the Founders beers I've had quite a lot, but to taste them at their best, it seems you need to have them on tap. My review of DD is based on the superior tap version.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

On-tap poured into a snifter glass.

A- It poured a deep amber red, with a thin lace and very light carbonation.

S- Intially really hoppy. It had lots of citrus and floral notes that allowed more sweet malts to come through as it warmed. By the end, it was a lot more balanced.

T- Like the aroma, it was initially full of grapefruit hop flavor. As the beer warmed, there were more notable sweet malts to balance the bitter flavors. The alcohol wasn't overwhelming, but it wasn't really masked either.

M- The feel was decently thick. There wasn't a lot of carbonation, but the hops added a bit of a bite.

D- It was a decent sipper. The high ABV would keep me from drinking more than a small serving at any one sitting.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Very light red appearance with copper highlights... Little or no head or lace... Very inviting appearance...

S - Bitter hops and grapefruit... And more bitter hops... Subtle, but not too over powering...

T - Very pronounced hops taste... Firm yet flavorful... Taste lingers, doesn't dissipate and remains solid throughout until the next sip...

M - Wow, exceptionally smooth, almost silky... Given the ABV, I'm shocked how easy it is to drink...

D - Exceptionally vibrant brew... Given the strong hops and ABV content, I was surprised at how drinkable this was... If there is such a thing as a 13% ABV session beer, this is it...

All around a job well done by Founders... This is my first Founders brew and I look forward to sampling many of their others...

2.24/5  rDev -43%

Devil Dancer Triple IPA 13 % ABV . Label is colored a reddish /auburn hue . There is a woman who is being held by the Devil no doubt with orange flames comming from underneath . Smell is some hops and very " boozy ". Alcohol aroma is very prominent . On the tongue it is hot and intense . As the alcohol warms it is not very pleasant . The lacing in nice to look at all over the glass . Few more sips solidifies my thoughts that this is just too boozy , medicinal . Booze bomb that is harsh , thick , and just not worth trying again . The Devil Dancer will leave your throat and mouth with an oily fire .

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

I grabbed this at the great local Piccadilly, and they had some in the back room for regular and discriminating patrons. I'm pleased and honored to be considered among them. A finger of head caps a brown-orange body, with thick lacing around the Yankees pint glass all the way down. The smell is thick with hops, but caramel emerges with enough prodding. Same with the taste, although there is enough citrus and spice to reflect good complexity. Devil Dancer is certainly bitter, but complex enough to offer a smooth texture. I'd characterize it as loaded, rather than larded down, with hops, and the difference is significant. While impossible to miss the hop flavor in this beast, it doesn't stifle other elements.

This is a very tasty but also distinct DIPA, one reminiscent of barleywine to a degree with its strong, thick taste extending well beyond well-hopped. Very impressive, Devil Dancer is a DIPA around which to tread warily.

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to markgugs for this tasty treat.

Burgandy/brown in color with a thin tan head that erodes rather quickly. Thick looking. Little light gets through.
Wow! This smells like a woman's purfume. Tons of fruity hops with some fusal alcohol.
Rich malt flavors. Caramel, brown sugar. Tons of fruity hoppy flavors. Straight brandy and some rum. Taste more like a liquer.
Mouthfeel is THICK and very filling. You can also feel the alcohol.
Not a very drinkable beer. Best served in a shot glass or in a whisky glass on the rocks. But I amidantly am a light weight.
This taste nothing like a DIPA. It's a good and interesting beer but I'm not sure if I'll try another.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

A: Pours a great brownish-red with little head

S: Has a fruity smell. One of the best smelling beers I've run into yet.

T: What else can I say, might be the best beer I've had yet!!

M: A bit bitter off the bat, but mellows out to leave a sweeter after taste. Enjoyable indeed.

D: At %13 you could get in trouble, but drinking a bunch of these is not out of the question.

One of the best beers I've had yet

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Dark brown with thin creamy head. Nothing pale about this beer. Looks thick and syrupy.

Strawberry,mango, grapefruit, tobacco, orange juice, and pine in the nose. Pleasant.

Big and sweet upfront. Lots of caramel and toffee flavors in fact the hop flavors are masked until the latter half of the sip. Candied orange flavors along side of tobacco and woody flavors in the middle. Pine and lots of it. The finish is bitter but not too aggressive with some alcohol bite as well.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and a bit oily in a good way. You are not going to be sipping this beast in the summer that's for sure. Very large brew. This is an American Barleywine despite being labeled as a TIPA, but who cares about styles? It's a good beer and you should try it.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a beautiful orangey blood red with almost no head which is its only downfall.

S- Smell is very sweet, hoppy, bits of floral pine come through a bit of red ale in the nose.

T- Taste is awesome, however a bit unbalanced. When you do the huge triple IPAs like pliny the younger and so on I think theres a very fine line between on and off balance, the bigger you get I think you have to really get it right. All of that said I really do love the taste though, starts out smooth, malty sweet and a wave of hops breaks over the tongue and lingers for quite a while.

M- Mouthfeel is super thick with a low dose of carbonation, a bit too thick for me but it fits well with the style.

D- Not hugely drinkable I loved to enjoy this one. An awesome TIPA, I would recommend it to any hophead out there as one of the best and by far the best that is semi-commonly available.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

this beer poured an orangish-brown with very little head. the smell was mostly hops with a bit of fruitiness and spice also present in the nose. there is a good balance of malty sweetness to go along with the hop bitterness. the finish is a bit bitter. this beer seemed to be a bit thinner than i expected, but it seemed to get a bit better as time passed. this is a fairly easy to drink beer, although, due to the high abv, i couldn't handle more than one or so.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer poured a clear brown with very little head. The aroma is very hoppy with a slight sweetness noticeable. The taste is very, very hoppy with a sweet, citrus flavor also noticeable. I think it turned my tongue inside out! This is an excellent beer, but might be a bit intense for easy drinking.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked these up at UFS. $11.99 for a four pack of 12oz brown bottles with twist off caps. I looked for a bottled date or freshness date but could not find one. 13% ABV

Pored into a large 23oz beer glass and did not produce much of a head at all. The head was an off white with very tight small bubbles. The color was a burnt orange and amber. When held up to the light you could see the carbonated bubbles slowly rising to the top of the glass.

You could smell the presence of hops rite off and then some fruity aromas that I could not nail down.

The green taste of hops is what I noticed first off. I keep getting this mental picture of rose stems. Then a very pleasant sweet taste of fruit, honey, and sweet malt that finishes a mild alcohol bite and the bittering hop taste stays with you/

The mouth feel is thick like syrup or honey with a little carbonation and some warming going on.

I could only drink two of these in one sitting and the alcohol will sneak up on you so handle with care. Over all it is very drinkable and I highly recommend it. I think this stuff will continue age nicely.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Yep...one of my new favorites within the style. A monster but not really a hop bomb. Pours a murky ruby orange/mahogany color. Thin head that forms a ring and sticky lacing down the glass. Smell is a fresh and piney blast of hops with an impressive malt backbone. Caramel and biscuity malt waft into the air. A bittery crisp sugared grapefruit as well. Taste is just as good as the smell. A well balanced beast of a brew, if that's possible. Slightly warming alcohol but not 13% warm. Resinous and oily in the mouth. A little tickle on the tongue but more of a creamy sensation and big body. Great drinkability. Founders does it again.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company