Follow our progress ...

Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Reviews: 1,457 | Ratings: 4,890
4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Paid a small fortune for this 4-pack but it's a triple IPA so I had to have it. Poured into tumblers.

The appearance is OK, deep orange color but almost no foam (maybe too much alcohol) The aroma is like a hoppy barleywine. The flavor also rides the line between DIPA and barleywine but it's good. Reminds me a little of Stone 10th or Bigfoot.

Thick mouthfeel from all the malt but not easy to drink quickly. Nice to try but not an everyday beer.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Not my favorite Founders Beer. Overall a midroad Triple IPA.

Poured nice into my glass. Nice amount of head which disapated reasonably well. Good floral hoppy smell.

Too strong of an alcohol taste especially towards the end of the beer. Also very bitter. I know that these are usually atributes of these types of IPA's but this beer was extremely bitter.
Worth trying although with all the other extremely hopped beers out there these days there are better ones.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

As a personal rule of thumb, I make it a fact to NEVER review beers twice. That rule is now broken.

A: Dense and thick reddish orange color with a storm of haze brewing inside the glass. Immature foamy head is a mask for what lays below. An odd sediment appears in the bottom of the glass, a quality that I didn't see in my first review. Looks like fruit flies passed over the glass and were inebriated with the sheer power and density beneath them, and plunged to their pleasurable and enjoyable deaths.

S: Hops. A plethora of citrus hell and overpopulated pine. Wow. Must experience to properly know what I'm describing. Nearly 4th dementional.

T: Heavy alcohol. Heavier hops. A strong sweet citrus quickly gives way to a powerful note of bitterness and baseline malt. The palate is nearly overwhelmed. Sweetness, bitterness, alcohol, warmth. It's the devil's pleasure in a brown glass bottle.

M: Dense. Thick. Neary syrupy. A smoothing quality allows this beer to be drank far to easily. This brew truely beckons the drinker to go for more. A dangerous wager...

D: Far too good. I'd have another immediately if it weren't for my 12 step "beat the hops" program. Truely satisfies all cravings for hops, IPA's and DIPA's, and extreme beer nuts all in one serving. This is the end all be all for those looking for hops. This beer is to hop heads what cocaine and heroin mixed is to Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue. Heaven. Hell. Call it what you will. This creation is beyond words.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

12oz. bottle thanks to nflmvp

Pours a hazy amber-brown with a light orange tint. Has a small eggshell head that thins, minor lacing on the glass.

Aroma of sweet caramel malt and a complex layering of hops witch make for a very fruity smell.

Sweet caramel malt upfront leading into a bitter hop bite and a very nicely blended array of hop flavors. The metric assload of hops does a decent job of balancing out the malt sweetness. Finishes slightly sweet with lingering hop effects.

Huge body - slightly syrupy. Decent carbonation.

For such a brute, this brew is decently drinkable. However, as big as it is, I have a hard time accepting it as a DIPA. It's flavor and general characteristics really scream American Barleywine. I'd bet that one of these with 2-3 years of cellaring would be quite stellar..

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Sure was happy to see this one on my last trip stateside. The $16/4 pack was in no way discouraging.

Appearance
Poured a slightly hazed brownish beer mixed with hues of gold and deep red. A one finger light reddish tan head struggled to form on an fairly aggressive pour into my Chimay chalice. Very mildly carbonated, with almost no lacings.

Aroma
Huge aromas greated my nose. A blast of decadent, sweet and juicy tropical fruit tried to fill the room. Papaya, sweet red grapeferuit, orange and pineapple greeted my nose. While the hops dominated it was also obvious that there was alot of malts in here, with a solid, lightly buttered caramel backbone.

Taste
What an insanely huge beer, loaded with malts but especially hops. Sweet buttered caramel and creamy hazel nuts, and hints of darker fruits (fig and dates). Even with the solid malt backbone this is an IPA, the malts cant quite stand up to the huge hop blast. A huge oily blast of grapefruit and orange peel, tropical fruit (papaya, pineapple) strips the tongue and finishes with a long lingering piney and grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel
Huge sweet and lightly buttered malt backbone is buried underneath a huge hoppy and fruity bitterness. The hops manage to blow the malts and even the alcohol away, leaving only some alcohol warmth behind in this 13% IIIPA. Very full bodied brew, but paradoxically the substantial resinouness of this brew helps to prevent it from being cloying.

Drinkability
Very drinkable huge beer. Not session fare, but could make for a memorable night of sipping. Not for those faint of hops. A rich and decadent treat that i will look forward to again!

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

First off this looks nothing like any ipa I've had before, but what do I know this is the first triple IPA I've ever had. Color is contains dark cherry colors ranging from a purple to maroon. Very limited biscuit color head on this one which is limited to the rim of the glass with carbonation bubbles crawling up the edges. As one sips the glass is coated in what remains as the beer falls from the lip similar to that of a cognac. Smells of cherry, orange and slight alcohol are apparent in the nose reminds me of Gordon DIPA. First thing I taste is grapefruit as well as pine like fruit esters. At 13% you would assume that the alcohol would be overbearing but it is well hidden with zero alcohol burn. This is a very good beer but one for special occasions or a night cap for that really bad day at work. I took a good hour sipping this one and was happy with each sip.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a deep hazy amber with a minimal tan head.

The aroma was intensely vinous and alcoholic. If I were blind, I'd say it was a barleywine. Hops were there in the nose, but not in any overwhelming sense as to be expected from double and this "triple" IPA.

The flavor of the beer was intensely malty with rich notes of caramel balanced out by an assertive hop bitterness. The alcohol made itself well known in the finish - very warm. Some notes of oak and vanilla came through as well.

The carbonation was just right. The mouthfeel was relatively heavy and creamy.

Let's get one thing straigt: this is a great beer. What it is not, however, is any form of an IPA, double or "triple." It's gone way beyond any reasonable flavor threshold of any double IPA out there. That said, it shows amazing maturity early on for a barleywine. I'm sure it would do well with age, but it's flavors are very well rounded for a fresh beer of this gravity.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a nice dark cherry color with a beige colored head. Head didn't last long and there was virtually no lacing, but still a nice looking brew. There is just a trace of some caramel in the smell, but this is pretty much all hops. Seemed like there were more grapefruit citrus hops than piney resinous, but either way, they worked very well together. Taste is full of much of the same, but there seems to be more piney hops in the taste than the aroma, there's even a bit of caramel and dark fruit hidden beneath the hops. Mouthfeel is a bit thick, full bodied and medium carbonation; maybe that's not true to style, but it seemd to fit well. Very enjoyable beer, certainly worth trying, if you can find it.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

A - A small head sits atop an opaque sienna brew. As the tiny bubbles of carbonation strive to rise to the surface of the viscous brew, they move as if through corn syrup. Isolated specks of lacing are scattered about the walls of the glass.

S - Very potent pine and citrus hops over a sweet aroma of figs, honeydew melon and caramel. Abv is wholly masked. Very nice.

T - A pleasant sweetness strong in dark fruits quickly turns to a grapefruit pith bitterness that escalates in strength until it reaches a comfortable level which could turn a lesser man inside-out. Damn good.

M - Very thick, it has the consistancy of maple syrup (the real stuff, not that Mrs. Butterworths stuff), it is astonishingly refreshing considering the sweetness and the bittermess.

D - I don't know how other's feel about this, but I could drink this every day. (Note to self: Move to Michigan.) If I had ready access to this and it was cheap, I'm sure I'd drink myself to death within a month. (Note to self: Ignore last note for longevity's sake.) This is the sort of beer that is a terrible idea to session, but I know that I'd find myself doing it anyway. I will make I point to buy this again if I am ever in an area that distributes it. How does it go with food? Well, I had a burrito for dinner. I burrito that I botched and put in about 3x the cumin I should have. Devil Dancer was not only able to hold it's own against this burrito, but it tasted almost exactly the same. Amazing. Top notch performance Founders!

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz. Founders stubby bottle with a label that is very interesting. I looked this the first couple of times and the only thing I saw at that time was these bright red flames. Upon a closer look I noticed it was something different. The label is that of a man who I'm assuming is the Devil (you can only see his hands) engulfed in these bright red flames holding up a beautiful naked blonde hair woman over the flames. Yes, you read that correctly, the woman on the label is naked! Of course the Devil's hands are covering up her nipples. What I didn't get was that at the bottom behind the words "Triple IPA" are 2 crossed swords. I know the Devil likes to play around with swords, but is this label taken from a larger piece of artwork? Founders website didn't have any answers to that question. No date marked because I know that Founders uses a notched system on the label itself. Mine was notched at the bottom and in the middle. I'm guessing that means that it was made sometime in September?

Appearance: When poured into a Snifter, the beer was a nice cherry mahogany color with a touch of copper to it. All I got was just a skim of beige colored foam that left some beige colored rings around the glass. Since it had barely any foam to it, it didn't leave much lace in it's tracks (Duh) I thought that since it has a high ABV% that there wouldn't be much of a head on this and I was correct.

Smell: Wow! When I popped the cap (I didn't need to, it has a twist off cap) a powerful aroma of hops came pouring out. When the beer settled in the glass, it wasn't as hoppy, but more fruity. I could smell the dark cherries blend into the sweet caramel malts, the 10 varieties of hops, pine needles and a smidge of alcohol at the end. Not a Devil of an aroma because to me a Devil of an aroma would be nothing but bitter hops and alcohol. This aroma to me smells like what the woman's aroma mixed in with the Devil's aroma would smell like. Very Nice!

Taste: Founders wasn't lying when they said they dry-hopped this beer for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 varieties of hops. It tastes like it! If you can get passed the powerful taste of piney hops, there is just a little bit of sweet caramel, dry roasted malts, dark fruits, and alcohol. I would have to say that it's a Devil of a taste because one taste dominates this beer.

Mouthfeel: I would have to say that it's very full bodied, low carbonation, and has a Devil of an aftertaste. The aftertaste is strong with bitter hops and alcohol. If you didn't get enough hops in the taste, you got them in the mouthfeel. The sad thing is that the Devil of hops doesn't leave peacefully. It will stick around with you for quite some time.

Drinkability: I'm glad that I got to dance with the Devil on such a cold day because believe me, this beer will warm you up. This beer is a once in a while treat. No way anybody could drink this on a daily or weekly basis. If love a beer that's hopped like a Devil, then pick this one up. By the way I got this via trade because it's not available in OH due to its ABV% cap.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured this 12 oz. undated brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. A vigorous pour resulted in no head. A tiny collar collected. The beer was about 48-50 F when poured. A hazy sulfured apricot colored body cleared after a few minutes. A thick clear residue clings to the glass after a swirl.

Smell was rum. Grainy sweetness. This beer became bready as it warmed. Alcohol was present but not harsh. A bit brandy-like.

Taste was tart. Bitter oiliness. The alcohol warmed my tastebuds but refrained from burning them. The taste improved near room temperature. This was a pleasant sipper. Hops bitterness aftertaste. I love biiter but this one was rather balanced for what I would expect from a triple IPA (my first).

Mouthfeel was pleasant, oily and full to medium bodied.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours very red with a surprisingly solid looking creamy head. The head faded and then the lacing came through rather nicely. Nice hoppy odor with some (but not as much as i'd thought) alcohol. It does smell like its going to be strong and heavy, but not because of the alc. ..more of a background malt heaviness. Taste is strong and bitter...lots of hops and alcohol and sweet malts. Bitterness on the front end and the finish. Very much like some of the really hopped up U.S. Barleywines i've had. Like Bigfoot in its first month. Very, very bitter. Sweetness is slightly cloying. It's tasty, but it could use some sitting down (glad i have 3 more). Heavy and thick mouthfeel...overall, like i said, it's really raw. Will be interesting to see how it changes with age.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

I’m perplexed and dissatisfied by this brew. A big hitter on the BA site, but I was thoroughly disappointed by it - the main category, taste, was a major letdown. Just a hot and mediciney pine and grapefruit combination. The whole body was sharp and hot, but by mid-bottle the tongue is numbed a bit. A funky sour ale malt finish adds to the eww factor of this one.

Pour and citrus pine aromas was OK – but this is not one that I’ll go back for.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours cloudy caramel brown. Modest head dissipates quickly to leave a thin sheen.

Smell is suprisingly strong caramel malt. A heavy hop presence that is deep and rich. Very barley wine like. Alcohol is unmistakable, but acts as a pleasant addition.

Taste is a blast of deep resinous piney hop. To a lesser extent there is also citrus and earthy medicinal hop character. Nicely complex. Hints of fruit. Malty sweetness brings a semblance of balance. The high ABV is quite evident and imparts a brandylike quality.

Mouthfeel is full and round. Quite chewy.

A very nice beer here. Big and full flavored. The high ABV is noticable, but works well with the other flavors. The amount of malt can't balance the monstrous hops, but brings this big beer to a pleasantly drinkable level. Very nice.

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Cloudy amber with a foamy, off-white head. Good lacing all around.

S: Sticky, malty sweetness with an alcohol tinge. This has the deep, almost cloying fruitiness of a barley wine and only a resinous hop presence.

T: Alright, so if the first few sips had me wondering whether this was really an IPA of any ilk, the taste tells me that it's clearly a barleywine. There's a strong mix of flavors--caramel, brandy, stewed fruit--slapped away by a burning hop presence at the beginning and end of each sip. Alcohol notes punch through strong. This is one aggressive, bruising beer.

M: Smooth and heavy, though the 'heat' (alcohol and bitterness) of this beer really linger in the mouth. The cumulative effect is intimidating, not necessarily in a good or bad way...but near the end of my glass, I had to steel myself for each sip. Is it good to be scared of a beer like this?

D: Deceptively easy at first, such that I would have thought about having two. But by the end of a pint, I'm done. This would make a great nightcap.

Overall, Devil Dancer is a challenging barley wine with a marvelous mix of flavors set against one of the strongest hop bases I've ever tasted. It's not always pleasant, but there is something intoxicating (no double entendre intended) about such a strong brew. While it's noteworthy for being so aggressive in all of its flavors, there are better, more balanced (and equally strong) examples of DIPAs and barley wines; nonetheless, it's absolutely worth checking out.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

a - dark amber/copper color, fairly clear, small head with little retention or lacing

s - very piney hop aroma, some sweet maltiness, strong alcohol presence

t - very sweet caramelly flavor up front with a strong piney bitterness to follow, the finish has a strong alcohol flavor with a long-lasting bitterness, this is one hot beer that seems more like a hoppy barleywine than a DIPA to me

m - medium-bodied, little carbonation, dry finish

d - not very drinkable, the alcohol gets stronger as the beer warms and along with the strong bitterness, limits the drinkability

Glad I tried this brew, but I can't say I was enamored. I would say to drink this beer as if it was a strong barleywine rather than a DIPA. Worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured beer out of bottle into a pint glass, beer is a crimson-dark amber color with a slight creamy head. The smell is overwhelmingly of grapefruit and pine, interesting. The taste too is of grapefruit and pine, with a hoppy finish and alcoholic bite. The mouthfeel was enjoyable, full bodied with a creamy consistency and adequate carbonation. Overall, I have to say that this beer is not very drinkable due not only to the very high alcohol content, but also because of the overwhelming sweet and bitterness. I love IPAs, but this was not what I was expecting. Worth trying though.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark caramel, with nice carbonation, The head is outstanding! 2 big thick fingers of Carmel fluffy goodness Very thick and slow to fade. Leavening a very nice lace.

The Smell is sharp pine blast followed by a Big Malty Body.

The taste is just that, yes the typical hopy notes but this beer is not a faddy soda pop. This is a Big Malt Beverage, so big is cover perfectly a huge alcohol presents. Yes this beer delivers, on ageing required.

The mouthfeel is great, big full body, I want of eat it with a fork buy will like out the glass to get every drop of goodness.

The drinkability is Top Shelf, this is an expertly put together beer. Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a clear, dark copper with minimal cream colored head.

Aroma consists only of grapefruit.

Flavor is very tangy with grapefruit. There is a little bit of caramel smoothness and slickness, but it's quite buried in the piney hop bitterness that follows. This also reminds me of a barley wine. Very sweet with that cherry alcohol bite.

A bit fizzy, well carbonated, a little sticky & sweet.

Drinkable? Not bad for its high ABV. Not bad at all, actually. However, a bit too sweet and definitely too bitter for my liking. If there had simply been some other flavor to hang on to and enjoy besides grapefruit & pine hops, it would be a different story.

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%

I have managed to get my palate to enjoy and even look forward to DIPAs. Now along comes this one touting itself as a triple IPA…Oh, what the hell. Let’s give it a try…Fear not the hops, right?

Devil Dancer poured into the glass hazed and somewhere between dark amber and burnt orange in color. The head was a finger and a half of yellow-beige dense creamy foam. A curtain of lace covered the glass and marked every level change, quite nice.
The smell was a mix of fruity sweetness, pine resin, grapefruit citrus, sweet caramel malts and a touch of alcohol.
The taste follows the smell pretty well with the flavors exploding in waves. Sweet pale fruits and caramel, citrus and pine. There is an overt hop presence that brings a bold bitterness followed by the bite of peppery alcohol and warming. Surprisingly balance is maintained with just enough sweetness to offset what should be overwhelming hoppiness.
The body is medium plus and the carbonation light to moderate.

This one was a real treat. I will have to seek out more and recommend you do as well. Remember, fear not the hops…

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle, no freshness date, with a label depicting a scene in which it appears some type of B Movie goddess is being either lifted out of, or dragged down into, hell. It pours a clear amber color with garnet overtones. The one-finger beige head dissipates rapidly, and leaves very slight, erratic dots of lacing--weak, considering the hop levels.

The smell is dominated by a sweet combo of hops and malt, along with cherry and dark berries. The flavor has plenty of muscular hops, but not as much as I'd predicted in a triple IPA. The flavor features more of the sweet and slighty toasty malt, and strong presence of sweet fruits and sugar, followed by alcohol--though not overwhelming for 13%--and a phenolic finish.

The mouth is rather full-bodied and shows decent complexity, yet seems to get rather syrupy, bogged down in sugar, partial due to a lack of carbonation. I think one of these in a day would be plenty.

This triple IPA seems to be a lot closer to a barley wine ale, considering the glut of fruit characteristics and strong alcohol. I'll drink the 4-pack, but am not all that thrilled that I paid 17.99 (in Columbus) for it. Certaintly not bad--in fact bold and interesting, but not what I had anticipated.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

MANY thanks to Gaisgeil for this in a great BiF box!

Pours a slightly golden red, slightly hazy, and no head. Not surprising considering the ABV on this beast.

Smell is rich, malty and full of caramel, with a pop of grapefruit.

Taste is *intensely* hoppy. They weren't kidding when they labeled this as a "Triple IPA." Grapefruit just absolutely dominates from start to finish, with a hint of bourbon, raisins, and grapes that wash in just after the initial blast of citrus bite, and fade out to pine and more grapefruit.

As much as the alcohol works to thin the mouthfeel, this bad boy has a large bite, and just destroys your tastebuds with bitter. Definitely my style of beer!

Basically a condensate of essence of IPA extract. You might even need to split a 12oz bottle. But man, I'm keeping this one all to myself.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky brown under ordinary light, rust orange with a bright LED. Two fingers of off white foam; impressive for this abv. Aroma is an amazing pineapple orange, with a faint alcohol. Medium sweet with a CO2 bite and a pine needle finish; the flavor lasts. Very full body. Multiple sips lead to more malt sweetness coming through as I get used to the hops.

Excellent, but for the price I would rather have a Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first tried this “Triple IPA” at the EBF in ’05. Loved the sample I had, but haven’t been able to get my hands on this since then. Medium dark ruby rushes into the Duvel tulip. Ample, sticky, creamy mocha head. Looks inviting. Sweet, sugary malt on the nose with rum-soaked fruits, alcohol, and venomous hops. Slightly medicinal, but not too overly. Toasted, sharp bitterness up front. Moves quickly to sugary sweet and fruit concentrate. Not cloying, however, due to surges of massive hop oil bitterness. Candied bananas and liqueurs linger in an otherwise very bitter finish. Full, syrupy body, that somewhat dries out a bit in the finish. Warming and pretty drinkable for the power and hop fury. Another great Founder’s beer!

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Undated bottle poursa with a beautiful color, dark amber/ruby red. Thin one finger head with a green tint quickly falls into a thin blanket of foam. Looks very enticing.

Aroma is massively hoppy. Scratch that, not hoppy, but resinous. You know right away that this beer means business. Smells thick, heavy, alcoholic, and intense.

Whoa! there is some serious flavor going on in here. Creamy malt sweetness covers you whole mouth as soon as you sip it, and then a wave of complex hop flavors washes the malt away. Mostly piney and citric hops, and searingly bitter on the finish. Moderate alcohol presence, but not as much as could be there for a 13% brew. Mouthfeel is extremely heavy and creamy. Drinkability is decent.

This is my first beer from Founders, and I'm quite impressed. Thanks to a friend who drove it down to me. I look forward to trying some of thier other beers. But this one is aptly named... when sitting in a cold apartment, and drinking this a cellar temp, it warms you from the inside. Almost like dancing with the devil. The ONLY thing that I don't like about this one, is the style listed on the bottle. Yes, it is extreme, but the "triple IPA" bothers me a bit. Either way, it's a solid beer.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company