Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,415 | Hads: 4,697
4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a deep copper, light mahogany color. Thin white head holds for a few minutes then gives up. I think the hops killed it! Strong hop aroma is an understatement. Citrusy, piney and floral hop aromas practically leap out of the glass and fill the air. There is a great malt backbone, which is filled with very sweet caramel flavors, and some ripe fruits. The malt flavors give way to the hop attack very quickly. Loads of piney, citrusy and hop flavors attack the tastebuds. Raw hop flavors. Raw hop flavors. Low carbonation gives this a good mouthfeel. For being 13% ABV, this is dangerously drinkable. Take heed! A solid beer, seems to border on an American Barleywine, but who really cares what "style" this fits into. If you are into big beers, this is a must try. Big cheers to BAs macallister and pixel for sharing!

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Rich caramel amber color, a thin crust tries to develop then dies leaving it looking a bit flat. Aroma of tangy, dank hops with a large sugary malt presence hit the nose. Almost like a barleywine. The caramelly malt also has a hint of funky, smokey bleu cheese with a dose of alcohol fume.

Intense flavor of caramel malt and hop tang blow you away at first, and it soon settles down into a dry smoked finish that's mildly bitter and considerably alcoholic. Light body, smooth, with subtle carbonation, definitely not flat tasting which contrasts the general appearance. Almost highly drinkable, but one of these could get you buzzing. The overload of flavor is a shock at first but is definitely interesting as you go along...

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Smooth off-white head above the caramel body that is super hazy. All that remains is a fringe of what used to be 1 finger of head.

Sweet citrus, canteloupe, grapefruit, white grapes, floral hops. Smells like a fruit salad with a few shots of liquor. A little honey, a little toffee. Definite alcohol presence. All of this somehow is sidelined by the massive malt aroma. Sweet and thick like a barleywine. Side by side with Bigfoot I guarantee I couldn't tell the difference.

I just keep smacking my tongue after the first sip. Incredibly complex. Initially sweet malt that escalates to the SUPER bitter piney and citrus hops. As it fades the malt comes back and the pine hops are all thats left in the aftertaste. Stunningly superb, it's no Double Crooked Tree, however.

Thick and juicy, like tree sap, looks like it too. Syrupy, in fact. Not alot of carbonation, this is definitely borderline Barleywine. Not so drinkable, but the alcohol never really holds this beer down, or my sobriety.

Definitely a complex brew that will mangle your tastebuds and leave them wanting more, although more than one of these badboys would venture into the land of chore, not treat.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Much anticipated. Thanks to AutumnalDave for the heads up on where to find it. Chilled for approx 15 minutes in fridge.

A- Beautiful color, very little head, almost no lacing.

S- Very hoppy from the bottle neck. Upon the pour into my Duvel Tulip, an immediate high alcohol presence to the nose.

T- Syrupy, barley wine flavor. Again no mystery about the ABV.

M- Hot, sweet, oily. Not a lot of nuance, complexity or character IMHO

D - I split this 12 oz bottle with a friend and I'm glad I did. I think it would be difficult for me to finish even 12 ounces.

All in all, I was dissapointed with this offering. As a DIPA freak, I have sought after it for weeks, with great expectations. Ultimately on sampling however, I found very little merit for its' "Triple IPA" moniker. It really seemed to be a thin, sugary. barleywine with a high ABV. It drilled its' way through my Panang Curry to the bottom of my stomach in a hurry. I'll cellar a couple of bottles for later sampling, (next summer) but for now, not a favorite.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a light orange color with a white head. Smells hoppy and sweet with many undertones and characters at work. The taste is similar, it was hard after a couple founders to pinpoint flavors, but this one held its own. Very sweet for an IPA but still held some bitter notes. A good mouthfeel, not overpowering but packed a good deal of flavor. This is a very enjoyable beer, but after a couple I would have to call it quits.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

Being from Grand Rapids, I've always loved Founder's. I've always seen devil dancer on the shelves and had a curiosity, but was afraid of the "Triple IPA 13% abv" on the label. I've recently developed a taste for IPAs, and I love big beers. After trying the carmudgeon, I figured I could handle this. Beer is served well below room temp, before you get angry I want to note its 95 here right now. I'm using a tulip glass. Not too much carbonation with the pour, and only a thin line of lacing around the rim of the glass. Has a deep crimson color, not what I expected when I pored it, then again this is my first 3IPA. Smell is dry, hoppy, and malty all at once. It kind of reminds me of a belgian ale. This is a very strong tasting beer, but I feel it is well balanced. The flavor starts out with a sweet malty kick, moves to that crisp hoppy taste that all of founder's brews are trademarked by (if you've had enough founder's you may know what I'm talking about) and finishes off with a smooth dry taste. This beer is not all that refreshing, but it is very tasty. I think it would be better as a winter release. For how flavorful it is, it is suprisingly smooth and drinkable. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy, very similar mouthfeel the Red's Rye (a favorite of mine). Drinkablity is kind of on the low side, I don't think I could drink anything that weighs in at 13 abv for the whole night. I could see myself buying this again though. If you want to be adventurous, I say go ahead. If you want something refreshing, go with the centennial of the PA. Overall I think it is a good brew, I don't know the style so I can't compare it to other 3IPAs, but I can definitely say that it is a quality brew.

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This brew is definitely too much of a good thing. I'm sure it's a hop lover's delight, but I just don't get what all the raving is all about. Pours a deep hazy gold in color with a loose white head. Nose is intense hops, grapefruit and pine, incredibly pungant and alcoholic. Taste is very much the same, very drying on the palate, not a pleasant experience. Mouthfeel is slick and oily, coats the palate. This is a horribly out of balance brew and something I just don't care much for.

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

I got this beer from MABZ as part of the 2006 Great Race BIF on Team Spring.

This beer pours a cloudy dark orange color with a light brown head. The head has strong orange tints to it. The head fades fastleaving many laces.

This beer has an odd aroma. It smells like pancakes with syrup. It has a very sweet aroma to it. It smells quite hoppy also. I detect some pine. Also, citrus aromas are present. This beer smells more like a barley wine than a DIPA. The alcohol content is present in the aroma.

The flavor of this beer is also unusual for the style. It is hoppy, but not overly. I taste some citrus hops, and a slight piney hop flavor. This beer is very sweet. It tastes of caramel. To be honest, I dont think I like how this beer tastes. It is hard to pin point it, but I can definately say it is not too great.

This beer leaves an alcoholic, funky aftertaste. It is well carbonated. This beer is very thick. The alcohol warms as it goes down.

I dowbt this beer would make a good session beer. It is high in alcohol, and the flavor is not too good. I doubt I will drink it again. Thanks MABZ for giving me the opportunity to try this beer. Sorry I didnt like it too much.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

thanks don.

dark crimson pour with red delicious apple skin sheen highlights. thin ring exists to encircle the surface, amoebas of haze sit still and sporadic lacing stays put.

deep double malt aromatic profile. sugary syrup infused dry fruits, essential hop oils and something dirty and plant-like. smells like an american barleywine and.. what a coincidence.. my nose is stuck to the glass.

tastes very chalky which then mellows slightly into resinous hop bitterness and apple core flavor complete with poisonous seeds. this beer reminds me alot of SN bigfoot in this way.. malt on top of malt with every sort of abrasive, bitter flavor thrown in to contrast the natural sweetness and naturally preserve the beverage. at times, the lack of balance reminds the drinker of eating sticks soaked in mud.

decent barleywine overall but not anything deserving of an IPA moniker. this deception results in disappointing drinkability.

great suggestion for bigfoot junkies, of which i am not one.

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks to grynder33 for this fine brew. I probably should've cellared this, but couldn't resist the Devil's siren.

A: Pours a murky dark amber with plum hues. No head when initially poured, but nice head build up once the whole brew is in the glass. Slight retention hugging the glass with nice lace.
S: Aromas of pine and grapefruit hops with a tremendous plummy malt profile that stings the nostrils and made my eyes water a bit. WOW! Abv is very noticeable--a little bit like bourbon.
T & M: Hop hop hop hoppy. Complex, with a burst of burnt sugar, grapefruit, and plums. Odd because of a sugary but bitter aftertaste. Oily and heavy handed in the mouth. Maltyness sits at the back of the tongue and lingers then turns into a wonderful floral bitter taste.
D: Drinkable? Hell yeah, but I would only have one of them. Huge abv would become a factor after more than one. This is a monster of a beer in a short fat bottle, but a damn fine one.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Fairly murky, copper-brown; Creamy, cream-coloured head, not much retention, but it leaves a little lace. There was a serious yeast cake stuck to the bottom of the bottle!

S: Very, VERY piney (American hops). There still seems to be some underlying caramel malt though.

T: Plenty of piney, resiny, American hop flavour. Despite the huge, HUGE hop flavour... the bitterness is fairly well balanced, allowing some caramel/toffee-like malt sweetness to come through. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden. This is smoother than a Bigfoot.

M: Thick, syrupy body. It would probably seem creamier if it wasn't for the prickly acidity. The carbonation is on the low side of moderate. This one's a mouthfull.

D: Very well balanced... drinkability is actually exceptional for its strength!

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Stubby 12-ounce bottle obtained in a most excellent blind trade with shbobdb.

Here's what the Founders' website says, in part, about this beer: "Massive in complexity the huge malt character balances the insane amount of alpha’s used to create this monster. More IBU’s (112) than any brewery has documented, more than you would believe and dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties."

Here's what ColoradoBobs says:

Gentle pour produced a relatively large, creamy off-white head that faded fairly quickly to leave supstantial sheeting over a lovely hazy red-amber body.

Smell is intensely vinously malty, with grapefruit, cherries, rum-soaked raisins, buttered toast.

Taste . . . 112 IBU's (gulp!), here goes! Malt sweetness is immense, with burned sugar, raisins, cherry pie, dark chocolate, buttered pumpernickel toast, and then the outrageous hops hit. BAM! What an amazing flavor. Aftertaste is intensely bitter and long, but not dry -- very sweet and bitter at the same time. I repeat: what an amazing flavor! A truly tremendous heavyweight! Is it a Barleywine? Is it a DIPA? Maybe it's both: there's enough going on here for this beer to be in both styles at the same time.

Mouthfeel is rich and roundly thick. Nice and creamy. Very good.

The 13% is definitely there, so this baby is a one-at-a-time brew.

Thanks to shbobdb for hooking me up with this monster!

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The Founders Devil Dancer holds true to its name. After one pint of this beer I was feeling good.

It poured a nice orangish-copper color. With a strong aroma of hops and also a sweet aroma of candy sugar the Devil was very appealing. The taste of piney hops and alcohol was most prevalent. It also had a slight bitterness to it, but it wasn't that prevalent to me.

This was a great American Double IPA and I highly recommend it

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

This is a classic American TIPA; absolutely incredible.

It pours a beautiful deep orange/brown, to be near copper. Left about a 1/2" - 1/4" head with a broad lacing down the sides of the glass. Unfiltered.

The smell is a solid example of the style, with big pine and citrus scents; imagine breaking open an orange near your Christmas tree. Absolutely tantilizing.

The taste is what really drove it home for me. You get the huge grapefruit-and-pine-needle hops right up front, followed immediately by a massive malt attack. The result is that your tongue is literally covered by 3 of the 4 areas all at once: sweet, sour and bitter simultaneously. Incredible. Not one dominates over the other.

The mouthfeel is tightly but lightly carbonated, with a dry finish. The 13% ABV, which would normally leave much more of an alcoholic warming, is well-hidden by the muted power of the hops balanced by the malt.

Outstanding beer overall. I drink this whenever I can find it, but usually only do 1 or 2. Not a session beer, given the huge ABV (you'd be blitzed) and the big hops and dry finish. But not every beer is a session beer. Some beers are simply spectacular. Like Devil Dancer.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dirty water brownish red or shall we say amber with little head that dissipates rather quickly and slight lacing. Smells IPA all the way; citrus, pine, slight alcohol, cascade hops (I think) and a good flower component.

For 13% alcohol it's hidden very well. This is a very complex brew. Big hops with an enormous amount of citrusy pine forest, with huge amounts of sweet malt. Covers the palate very consistently making this beer extremely balanced. Only problem is a slight drying hoppiness on the finish may make this beer a 1 or 2 and move one. Yet very good and worth a try.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

App: Pours the color of red tea with just a small head, it settles and leaves bits and pieces on the surface.

Sm: Oranges, breakfast tea, malt.

Ta/Mf: Whoa! Although it has the usual orangey hops and maltiness of an IPA (no surprises there), this is NO usual IPA! It covers the entire palate with the greatest malt-hops attack I've ever had. And to top it off, the balance between the two is excellent! I will say that the alcohol sticks out a bit.

Da: High. Dangerously Drinkable!

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

This brownish-orange (or orangish-brown?) elixir poured out with some viscosity and formed essentially no head at all, but kept a thin layer of microscopic bubbles across the top. The aroma nearly overpowered me - the alcohol content really came through with the sweet malty smell.

The taste is similar, like thick, well-ripened fruit, full with flavor that gave me the chills a few times. Again, the alcohol reared its head and the bitterness of the hops stuck around afterward. It felt very smooth, not quite creamy, but quite thicker than water. With the powerful taste (like I was drinking wine), this beer isn't chuggable - one bottle will be plenty for me.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

It was great to finally get to try this beer I was anticipating it for awhile.Poured a deep burgundy with a thinner slight off white head,big fruity esters in the nose like alcohol dipped dark fruit with an undelying but very noticable piney hop elemant.Aroma wise and flavor wise this is an hopped up American barley wine,flavors are of dark fruit and brown sugar up front finishing very piney.The alcohol to me was pretty well hidden and very decieving,in some ways reminded me of Great Divide Old Ruffian in its hop profile.A great brew Iam hoping that it will be on tap at Founders next month when in GR.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

Thanks to Smittyguinness agian for another awesome beer!
This one pours dark reddish-orange color with very minimal head into a oversized wine glass.

Damn does this beer smell good! The smell is very malty with a very fruity background smell to it as well.

WOW, there is a huge malt punch right up front with this beer, which has very hoppy and fruit after taste that lingers around. The 13% is hidden very well, can feel the warmness in the throat.
Mouthfeel is heavy with perfect amount of carbonation.
Drinkability low just because of the 13%, but could drink 2 or 3 in one night and this is also a great beer to start St. Patty's day with.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked this up on my trip to Indy last November and finally got around to it.

Poured an interesting combination of amber and ruby red with a minimal off white head.

Smell was dominated by hops with some sweet dark fruits and a blast of alcohol.

Taste was very sweet with some hops bitterness, but not much. Sweet fruits came through with a very slight alcohol burn at the end and a lingering hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel was very rich and syrupy thick.

This is an excellent sipping beer, but no more than one for me.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Can’t thank WarriorSoul enough for this one. . .

Pretty straightforward 12oz bottle. 13% ABV. . .(insert maniacal laughter here).

Pours like soup into my trusty Stone pint glass. Very deep amber color. . .Little bit of bubble action. . .dark tan head, not real big, but doesn’t look like it wants to go anywhere any time soon. Heroic lacing clings to every place possible.

Nose is citrusy hops and more hops. . .surprisingly, no alcohol smell. Has a very sweet, candy-like smell.

Wow!! Surprising malt punch of front. . .rolling into a strawberry/prune taste hop. . .very complex. . .has hints that remind me of Arrogant Bastard. Very thick and complex. . .lingers on the tongue. Feels heavy on the tongue, alcohol is hardly noticeable save the all-to-familiar warming in the tummy.

This isn’t what I expected it to be. . .but it is DAMN good! Deifnately a sipper. . .this is the kind of beer I’d like to start the night with, but I think I would want to move to something a little less demanding thereafter. Very, very good though.

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

Damn, this beer is a monster. Loads upon loads of flavors and aromas. Just huge. The perfect session beer in my opinion. Definately something I could drink everyday. Dark red color with a fairly healthy head, which retains well considering its potency. Unbelievable aroma of malt (caramel, honey laden fruits and toffee), along with an incredible diversity of aromatic hops. Enormous, coating malt flavor which provides an underlying maltiness of caramel, fruit and toffee along with one of the most substancial hop contributions I’ve ever tasted. It’s so malty that the brewery could easily describe this as an American Barley Wine and no one would complain that it wasn’t stylistic. Just an amazing beer. Probably the best "Double IPA" I’ve ever had.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

Pours deep ruby red with a quickly disappearing off white head.

Resin smell dominates. Very piney, with a bitrusy background. Alcohol presence enough to make your eyes watery. some raisiny malt notes.

Upon drinking, instant hop gratification ensues. Huge flavors of kumquat and pomegranate. Raisiny sweetness. Leaves a very bitter nearly rubber flavor on the back of the tongue. Lingers, just won't quit. Warming alcohol on the way down.

Big and chewy, nearly oily, the only improvement this beer could use is a bit more dryness. Other than that a fine beverage. Close enough to 120 min. for government work with 1/3 the pricetag.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a brown bottle into my Delerium Tremens tulip glass. Dark rust body with a light carmel colored head. Almost no lace at all. Lots of piney, resiny PNW hops. An equal amount of alcohol and sweet malt too. The body is fairly balanced between the malts and hops. Lots of caramel malts flavors. Very alcohol warming. The bitterness goes to the end. The mouthfeel is full. Good drinkability for a 13% beer.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%

03/08/06- Received via mail order with Archer's Liquors.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info. It is from the 2005 batch though. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark cherry-mahagoney color. 1/2 inch head which then leaves a slight rim around the top of the liquid. Average lace at best.

Smell- Huge aroma going on here. Lots of big roasted malt and lots of pine ridden hops. Alcohol fumes...ahhh, sweet alcohol fumes as well. Smells like Bigfoot amped up.

Taste- Hmm, tastes like Bigfoot amped up as well. The hops are a bit smoother than Bigfoot, especially the 2006 version. Pretty hearty malt profile to go with a pine sap hop resin taste. Very warming as 13% should be.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, average, maybe a touch lower than average carbonation. Light bitter aftertaste. As said before, you can feel this smooth lava flow all the way down your esophogus.

Drinkability- Double, Triple IPA...still no. A very hopped up and tasty Barleywine...yes. Any way you look at it, it's a very warming and drinkable beer. Just seems like it's in the wrong category. If it is in the right catagory...Pliny the Younger puts this one to shame.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company