Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

To the point: Devil Dancer is good, but I'm not sure if it's value is justified. I mean, c'mon, 20 dollars/ 4pack? Other than the price, it's a roller coaster for sure.

I find it syrup-y and thick, heavy for a 3x IPA.

A- amber gold
S- not as floral as a single IPA, way heavier though
T- like a belgian trippel or quad with an IPA overtone
M- slight carbonation gives a good feel.
O- see above

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

I picked up a bottle of Founders Devil Dancer a couple weeks ago for $5.09 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this beer last year, so when I saw the new batch at the store I knew I needed to man up and give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. The bottling date is pretty smudged and unreadable, 2012 vintage. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label, it looks nice and the name alone makes this beer stick out on the shelf. It poured a nice orange/caramel color, that took on more of an orange and bright amber almost muddy brown color when held to the light and was really hazy with only half a fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing. The beer looks ok, the color was nice, but the head was a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off pretty intense with a large amount of sweet malts that impart some bread, caramel, toffee, honey, and a slight bit of dark fruits. Next comes the hops which are pretty intense as they should be and impart lots of nice citrus fruits with grapefruit and pineapple sticking out the most, there's also a slight piney and resin like aroma towards the end followed by a slight booze aroma. The aroma of this beer was nice and hoppy, but the sweetness was just a little too much.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with a quick glimpse of some intense hop bitterness that is quickly followed by a good amount of malts that impart a sweet, bready, grainy, and caramel like flavors. After that comes a very slight amount of alcohol followed by more hops which impart come nice citrus fruits with grapefruit sticking out the most and there's a little more piney and resin like hops then the aroma led me to believe and on the finish it had a medium amount of high bitterness, that was just enough without being overpowering and it had a sweet, citrus, piney, and bitter aftertaste. I really like the taste of this beer, it's intense and hoppy without being overly bitter and overdone.

M- Much smoother then I expected, sticky, a little syrupy, a little warming, on the medium side of being full bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, some how the thicker feel and stickyness worked well with this beer, it almost felt sweeter then it tasted.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and was a little impressed, I thought it was a great example of intense DIPA, for being as intense as it was it was still nicely balanced. This beer had pretty good drinkability, the alcohol didn't show up as much as I thought it would, it wasn't overly bitter, and the flavor sure kept me interested and on my toes, but one is enough for me, but If i was on a mission to wreck my palate and get wasted I could see drinking two, but anymore then that just wouldn't be a good idea. What I liked most about this beer was how intense yet balanced it was, it had the best of both worlds and that worked well with this beer, the taste was the highlight. What I liked least about this beer was the higher amount of sweetness, it was a little too sweet at times, but that didn't hurt it that much since that comes with the territory. I would buy this beer again, but probably not till next year, at over $5 dollars it's pretty expensive, but sometimes you got to treat yourself, and a couple of these a year seems like the right amount, I recommend this beer to anyone that loves big and intense DIPA's. All in all this was a great beer, that exceeded my expectations, after hearing a little bit about this beer I was afraid it was going to be one of those too intense and overly bitter DIPA's, but once I got down to it it wasn't nearly as rough as I thought it would be and the balance really impressed me. Forget what you heard about this beer and just try it, you will be glad you did. Founders comes through with another great beer, great job guys this one's impressive and worthy of it's name, sometimes you have to dance with the devil. 2014 Edit I aged a bottle for a year and it turned into a nice barleywine, the hops died down with just a little bitterness remaining and I thought it was a good beer, I really enjoyed it aged.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Devil Dancer:

12oz bottle (Bottle On Date: 6/01/12) poured into a Spiegelau balloon glass.

A- A vigorous pour yeilds a semi-hazy (albeit suprisingly clear for a bottle conditioned beer), blood orange / copper color with just over 1-fingers worth of a light, kahki head. It should come as no surprise the head was short-lived and noticable alcohol legs coat the glass.

S- Initally, very muted...but once the head subsided and the beer settled into the glass, I get tangerine, hints of ruby red grapefruit, pine resin, oak and caramel malt. Surprisingly, it reminiscent of my favorite Imperial IPA's, Dogfish Head's Burton Baton (although much more muted than BB). If you told me this was aged on oak, I would believe you! As the brew warms (and unlike Burton Baton), alcohol becomes very evident in the aroma.

T- Sweet caramel malt gives way to a burgeoning, piney bitterness that scrubbs the palate dry. Simultaneously, alcohol heat builds in the back of the throat and warms all the way down into the chest. The hops definitely keep the malts in check, as you only perceive them in the initial stages of the sip. Although a much heftier bittering assault...yep, it continues to reinforce the similarties to Burton Baton. But where DD pummels you with bitterness, BB has more overall flavor.

M- Malt sweetness coats the tongue but your palate is ultimately left like sandpaper. A slightly heavier body and more subdued carbonation marks the most drastic differences between DD and BB.

O- If you didn't see it coming already, I cannot shake the correlation to DD and BB. That said, this is a wonderful beer, but being that it is a seasonal, limited availability and quite pricey (I've seen it range from $5 to $7+ per bottle), I just don't think it is worth the extra money (although I could only imagine the base cost to make this beer!). I will just be thankful for being able to quaff Burton Baton year-round and at a significantly lower price. Although a tremendous fan of all things Founders brews, this will be a one-time purchase for me.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Shared a June 2012 bottle side by side with one I put down from 2011. I had been a little disappointed with the 2011 so wanted to see what one year did for such a big brew.

2012.
A. Orange/brown hue with slight haze and small head with minimal lacing. What small lacing there was dissipated quickly.

S. Slight citrus nose but understated.

T. BIG. Big up front hop bite but the sweet malts come through very quickly. Hop side is more of the pine/resin approach than citrus. Cannot hide the alcohol here. Long finish that emphasizes the malt.

M. Very complex. A little burn but in line with something this big. Slightly syrupy.

2011
A. Same as 2012

S/T. It was even more understated on the nose than its one year younger sibling and the up front hop blast had muted considerably. Sure the bitterness was there but the malts really predominate. Sweet/caramel layers and very very long finish.

M. Again slightly syrupy but alcohol toned down a bit. This one just kept going.

Overall. Very complex on both bottles (yes I had to say it again). Hopheads may be dissatisfied with the lack of upfront hop on the nose but the super intense bitterness and long finish bring you home. I don't tend to let my IPAs get any age but held this one over just to see. I found that one year really softened it and I enjoyed it more for the intense layered bitter brown ale that it is. Enjoyed the year old brew more. Will save two for next year.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought just one bottle of this to give it a try. Bottled on 6-18-12.
Bottle poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a hazy deep copper color with just a little bit of off white colored head that has some staying power, and leaves dainty lacing on the glass.

S- An explosion of tropical fruity hops, mixed with the huge amounts of sweet caramel and bready malts.

T- Sweeter than I expected. Malt sweetness hits me first, followed by a huge punch from the hops that lingers in the back of the throat.

M- HUGE full body on this one. Thick syrupy texture. Not too much going on in the carbonation area. Would like to see more carbonation.

O- A decent beer in my book, but I expected more pungent grapefruit, pine resin, hoppy flavor from this one. Not overly disappointed but then again, not overly excited either.

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

A - dark amber with a larger, dense, white head that has good retention

S - huge bready malt with some caramel, sweet notes and some faint citrusy hop aromas

T - birthday cake sweetness, bready, malty, caramel, citrusy, mild bitter finish

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated, smooth, a bit warm

This is a solid beer. It's hoppy, it's malty, it's probably more a Barleywine than a DIPA. It's sweet and bready but hoppy and smooth. I love this beer no matter the style. I'll have it again in a heartbeat.

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Very little off-white foamy head. Brew is foggy redish brown.

Whoa, Sugar! Very sweet smelling. The simcoe hop is overwhelmingly sweet. Tons of passionfruit.

Very sweet upfront with a bitter grapefruit bite at the end. Nice carbonation, but the sweet bitterness detracts a bit.

Unfortunately, Devil Dancer was a let down.. Very overpowering and not smooth. Very rough and not well rounded. A slight mess, not recommended.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Just a half finger of dark champagne colored head. The body of this beer is mostly clear and an orange color. Just the slightest brown in it. Some decent lacing.

S - Classic American Barleywine aroma. A bittersweet to it. Some brown sugar, molasses, flowers, and smooth hops.

T - A nice balance between sweet and hoppy. The hops linger for a bit and hit you in the face. The caramel sweet

M - Nice carbonation and full bodied. What you would want from this beer.

O - A great triple that has many of those barleywine flavors. Simple but well done.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Pours a cloudy orange color, leaves a nice two finger of off white head at the top that sticks to the glass to leave a nice lacing

S: Intense, strong hops up front as well as malts. Some bread mixture and toffee notes and citrus as well.

T: Same as the nose just more taste of booze, strong hop features and some honey and caramel some where there as well, very bitter

M: Warms the body, bitter all the way through, lots of booze, mid carbonation.

O: This IPA is for the true craft beer drinkers, very bitter and warming, I enjoyed this brew but at a very slow pace.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Dragged my feet on this one for a while, but when I saw it on tap the other day, I figured my time had come at last. Served in a snifter, a very attractive, brazen, reddish copper color, hazy, with a neat little cap of dense white head that retained well and left a bit of lacing on the glass right until the end. Aroma is expectedly hop-dominant, piney, citrus zest/pith, caramel and bready malts in the background. Big blast of fresh hops in the taste, unctuous resin, citrus pith, with a thick and ubiquitous malt sweetness, for a nice counteraction that still leaves the hops clearly in charge. Strong, bitter aftertaste, and can be a palate-wrecker for the unprepared. Chewy and full-bodied, warm with booze. Very nice for the style, and really hit the spot for the hop-craver in me after a string of light summer beers.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%