Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle, $5 from Pints O'Plenty. Bottled 6/18/12.

Appearance: Pours a dark orange amber with a thin white head and some spotty lacing.

Smell: This is a big malty, hoppy beer. Smells like a very hoppy barleywine. Rich caramel malt and citrus hops swirled in a boozy background. Good, but unlike an IPA of any kind.

Taste: Again, not much like a DIPA, but tasty for a hoppy barleywine. Rich, sweet caramel malt flavor, very bitter, pithy grapefruit hops as well as a sweet orange hops flavor. Boozy, but not really hot.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, thick, and syrupy. Resiny finish.

Overall: Well, its more like a hoppy barleywine, and of I was in the mood for a DIPA, this would not do it. This wasn't my first of these though, so I was ready and looking forward to it. Nice beer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased at Heinen's in Middleburg Heights. It says "Triple IPA", and this is making me salivate. Bottled 6/18/12.

I pours rather heavily, leaving a very thin head. Body is a translucent burnt orange.

Smells of caramel, candy sugar and a mix of tropical and citrus fruits.

The flavors are much more mild than I expected. Caramel and thick bready malts start her off, then glide smoothly and into grapefruit goodness. This is backed up by hints of pine and tropical fruits. This is all backed up with a bitter, piney booze ending.

Mouthfeel is thick and full bodied. The beer is borderline syrupy but it works. Very dry and awesomely bitter.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a dark golden amber color, relatively clear, very little head, some spots of lacing.

Nice smell- nice floral hop notes, pale barley malt sweetness, a little booze.

Tastes great- very juicy hop flavors; floral, a little citrus, pretty good bitterness. Pretty well balanced malt sweetness; a trace of booze but not much.

Mouthfeel is good- medium full body, low carbonation, good dose of resiny hops. This is a very good beer, but in a crowded field. Perhaps too expensive for what you get.

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

To the point: Devil Dancer is good, but I'm not sure if it's value is justified. I mean, c'mon, 20 dollars/ 4pack? Other than the price, it's a roller coaster for sure.

I find it syrup-y and thick, heavy for a 3x IPA.

A- amber gold
S- not as floral as a single IPA, way heavier though
T- like a belgian trippel or quad with an IPA overtone
M- slight carbonation gives a good feel.
O- see above

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

I picked up a bottle of Founders Devil Dancer a couple weeks ago for $5.09 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this beer last year, so when I saw the new batch at the store I knew I needed to man up and give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. The bottling date is pretty smudged and unreadable, 2012 vintage. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label, it looks nice and the name alone makes this beer stick out on the shelf. It poured a nice orange/caramel color, that took on more of an orange and bright amber almost muddy brown color when held to the light and was really hazy with only half a fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing. The beer looks ok, the color was nice, but the head was a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off pretty intense with a large amount of sweet malts that impart some bread, caramel, toffee, honey, and a slight bit of dark fruits. Next comes the hops which are pretty intense as they should be and impart lots of nice citrus fruits with grapefruit and pineapple sticking out the most, there's also a slight piney and resin like aroma towards the end followed by a slight booze aroma. The aroma of this beer was nice and hoppy, but the sweetness was just a little too much.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with a quick glimpse of some intense hop bitterness that is quickly followed by a good amount of malts that impart a sweet, bready, grainy, and caramel like flavors. After that comes a very slight amount of alcohol followed by more hops which impart come nice citrus fruits with grapefruit sticking out the most and there's a little more piney and resin like hops then the aroma led me to believe and on the finish it had a medium amount of high bitterness, that was just enough without being overpowering and it had a sweet, citrus, piney, and bitter aftertaste. I really like the taste of this beer, it's intense and hoppy without being overly bitter and overdone.

M- Much smoother then I expected, sticky, a little syrupy, a little warming, on the medium side of being full bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, some how the thicker feel and stickyness worked well with this beer, it almost felt sweeter then it tasted.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and was a little impressed, I thought it was a great example of intense DIPA, for being as intense as it was it was still nicely balanced. This beer had pretty good drinkability, the alcohol didn't show up as much as I thought it would, it wasn't overly bitter, and the flavor sure kept me interested and on my toes, but one is enough for me, but If i was on a mission to wreck my palate and get wasted I could see drinking two, but anymore then that just wouldn't be a good idea. What I liked most about this beer was how intense yet balanced it was, it had the best of both worlds and that worked well with this beer, the taste was the highlight. What I liked least about this beer was the higher amount of sweetness, it was a little too sweet at times, but that didn't hurt it that much since that comes with the territory. I would buy this beer again, but probably not till next year, at over $5 dollars it's pretty expensive, but sometimes you got to treat yourself, and a couple of these a year seems like the right amount, I recommend this beer to anyone that loves big and intense DIPA's. All in all this was a great beer, that exceeded my expectations, after hearing a little bit about this beer I was afraid it was going to be one of those too intense and overly bitter DIPA's, but once I got down to it it wasn't nearly as rough as I thought it would be and the balance really impressed me. Forget what you heard about this beer and just try it, you will be glad you did. Founders comes through with another great beer, great job guys this one's impressive and worthy of it's name, sometimes you have to dance with the devil. 2014 Edit I aged a bottle for a year and it turned into a nice barleywine, the hops died down with just a little bitterness remaining and I thought it was a good beer, I really enjoyed it aged.

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%

Devil Dancer:

12oz bottle (Bottle On Date: 6/01/12) poured into a Spiegelau balloon glass.

A- A vigorous pour yeilds a semi-hazy (albeit suprisingly clear for a bottle conditioned beer), blood orange / copper color with just over 1-fingers worth of a light, kahki head. It should come as no surprise the head was short-lived and noticable alcohol legs coat the glass.

S- Initally, very muted...but once the head subsided and the beer settled into the glass, I get tangerine, hints of ruby red grapefruit, pine resin, oak and caramel malt. Surprisingly, it reminiscent of my favorite Imperial IPA's, Dogfish Head's Burton Baton (although much more muted than BB). If you told me this was aged on oak, I would believe you! As the brew warms (and unlike Burton Baton), alcohol becomes very evident in the aroma.

T- Sweet caramel malt gives way to a burgeoning, piney bitterness that scrubbs the palate dry. Simultaneously, alcohol heat builds in the back of the throat and warms all the way down into the chest. The hops definitely keep the malts in check, as you only perceive them in the initial stages of the sip. Although a much heftier bittering assault...yep, it continues to reinforce the similarties to Burton Baton. But where DD pummels you with bitterness, BB has more overall flavor.

M- Malt sweetness coats the tongue but your palate is ultimately left like sandpaper. A slightly heavier body and more subdued carbonation marks the most drastic differences between DD and BB.

O- If you didn't see it coming already, I cannot shake the correlation to DD and BB. That said, this is a wonderful beer, but being that it is a seasonal, limited availability and quite pricey (I've seen it range from $5 to $7+ per bottle), I just don't think it is worth the extra money (although I could only imagine the base cost to make this beer!). I will just be thankful for being able to quaff Burton Baton year-round and at a significantly lower price. Although a tremendous fan of all things Founders brews, this will be a one-time purchase for me.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company