Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
engagechad

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into DFH snifter.

Pours a deep amber orange with dense head and great lacing. Smells.. like.. wow.. really? Weed. No joke. This beer smells like dank weed. It's dirty and funky but hoppy at the same time and it's just interesting!? Taste is nice and smooth for 12%.

Overall this is an awesome double IPA that you all should try.

07-11-2011 18:45:09 | More by engagechad
NikkiMacBrain

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Odd scoring, but I've got some reasoning here. I rated the taste as a 5--exceptional. I do that literally: It is, by definition, an extraordinary beer. Unfortunately, I found the fruit notes on the palate too cloying for the earthy, resiny pineyness that should have carried the day IMO. As an excercise in brewing, Devil Dancer is incredible. As a beer, it seems to be part of the problem that is "Uber-hoppy" beers. It's undeniably good, but it's not exactly for me.

07-11-2011 15:26:40 | More by NikkiMacBrain
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

12oz into Bruges tulip. 6/11 bottling
A: pours a orange copper hue, with a short lived head formation. Lacing is left in a small sticky pattern. Medium levels of carbonation.

S: Hop dominance over the malt profile, but a very earthy and herbal hop character. For the style the aroma is medium to high in intensity, but assertive.

T/M: A full mouthfeel leads way to a burst of resiny hops and a high level of bitterness. Going after a high alpha acid content the hops, this brew show a very piney and resin character. While lacking in some of the more tropical flavors. Big huge lingering finish, with a very sticky coating.

O: All in all a very well balanced triple IPA. Solid notes of English influence, blended with high octane hops, make this brew a winner. Nice to give it a try and will revisit each year, but not at the price and effort of tracking down.

07-11-2011 03:24:10 | More by GDBEERMAN
projectflam86

2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

A- Pours a orange/ruby red color with a thick white foam head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Definitely smells hoppy! Red grapefruit and pine with some really dank aromas. I am getting some of those onion like aromas that I've heard other people describing as well.

T- Very syrupy with a huge amount of sweetness initially. I was expecting quite a bit more bitterness considering the IBU's and the truck loads of hops that went into making this, but honestly its a bit disapointing. The onion flavor is back and doesn't do much for me. Really boozy in the finish.

M- Full bodied and boozy with a thick chewy mouthfeel.

O - Overall it looks the part and doesn't smell too bad but I wasn't impressed with the flavor.

07-11-2011 01:32:26 | More by projectflam86
BigPlay1824

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Served in a tulip glass

A: pours a very nice red that is slightly hazy, pours with very little head
S: strong citrus scent with a slight underlying pine
T: nice citrus, not overbearing, finishes with a slight maltiness
M: pretty thick on the palate, lingering almost filminess
O: very nice, not the best ive ever had but definitely still a good brew, taste could have been a bit better, it was slightly toned down

07-11-2011 00:21:30 | More by BigPlay1824
BB1313

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 6/12/11. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Great looking beer.. pours a hazy burnt orange w/ no light getting through. Decent white head and decent lacing which eventually fades, but gorgeous color. The aromas are awesome! Straight funky dank! Sweet fruits like mango and pineapple are present. The alcohol isn't noticeable in the nose at all.. now the flavors, that's another story. The booziness really brings this one down, which is too bad. This is extremely sweet as well. The flavors are diminished by the boozy alcohol, the very hot alcohol. The mouthfeel is slick and syrupy, slightly carbonated, finishes hot. There's no balance whatsoever, which really hurts. But somehow it remains semi-enjoyable. This is a quintessential sipper.

It's unfortunate there's no balance, because the appearance and aromas really got me excited. If they can find away to make this a balanced beer, it could be a real winner. I'm still glad I tried this one and totally understand why many people enjoy it. Not bad though.. what else would you expect from a "Triple IPA"?

07-10-2011 23:43:35 | More by BB1313
jnn4v

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Consumed within a week of when the bottles came into the store.

A: Medium-to-dark orange color. Maybe a ruddy / rusty reddish with a hint of brown? No sediment. Very little yellow / light orange head. Slightly hazy.

S: Orange zest, easter lilly, cat urine, and dank herbal scents. Pretty intense and dense smelling, but I'm not sure if it's appetizing or not.

T: Copper, liquid hops, caramel malt, hop bitterness, tons of dank and floral hop flavors. Bitter herbal / pungent hop aftertaste.

M: Nicely dense beer with pretty high viscosity - as high as any other DIPA I can recall other than Alpha Cow (although Founders calls this a Triple IPA, so it should be thick). Reasonable carbonation, although a bit on the low side.

O: Although the average of the above scores is closer to a 3.5, I really thought that my overall impression of this beer is relatively low. I have had it annually for the past 3 years, and I really don't think I'll continue again next year. It's an interesting concept, but the specific hop and malt choices don't work well for my palate. I'd rather have a well crafted DIPA or two good IPAs any day over this brew.

07-10-2011 22:19:05 | More by jnn4v
zimm421

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Appears a dark red to copper color with a two-finger, off-white head. The head leaves some lacing and has a decent amount of staying power.

The nose is very earthy, has some citrus and pine coming through. And it is very sweet. The malts coming through are too much for me. I understand that they're trying to go even farther than a IIPA, but honestly this is just overpowering. The nose just doesn't seem to come together very well... The taste has a lot of bitterness coming through, but there is also a good amount of sweet malts coming through underneath. The same notes coming through in the nose come through in each sip. There is also an alcohol flavor in every taste. Things just don't seem to come together too well and some things seem out of place.

The mouthfeel is extremely syrupy with an average amount of carbonation. There is a thick film left in your mouth after every taste. Overall, this is just too powerful, too sweet and not really that appealing. Glad I picked it up to try it out, but won't be searching for more. If things were just a bit lighter and blended together better it could be a great brew.

07-10-2011 18:46:02 | More by zimm421
plfahey

4.33/5  rDev +11%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Amber in color with good clarity and moderate beige head with decent retention.

Aroma-Holy fucking hops this is insane. The hop aroma is impressive and unreal. Fruity, orange, lemon, grass, hay, catty, strawberry, pineapple, herbal, and sticky/fresh marijuana. Dank, pungent, and intense. Very difficult to pick up any malt in the aroma at all, just a touch of burnt rubber fusel alcohols.

Flavor-Sweet caramel malt up front is overtaken by pungent hops and extreme bitterness, but I wouldn't say it's unbalanced or overwhelmingly hoppy. Hop flavors are pungent, herbal, lemony, orangey, piney, and marijuana-like, with a distinct strawberry note in the finish and some smoky/burnt fusels. Fusels lend some serious heat in the aftertaste. Pungent hop flavors with slight citrus and fruit linger on forever.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body with moderate carbonation. Bitterness lays on your tongues aggressively, but not astringently so. There's some definite heat from the booze, which comes across a little hot at times.

An intense hop experience. Bitterness is high, but not prohibitively so-this one has enough malt and enough booze to make the hops tolerable, and in the end its actually quite tasty. That said, I think it's worth purchasing just to smell it-the aroma is actually insane.

07-10-2011 04:13:18 | More by plfahey
Dope

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

2011 vintage, very fresh.

A: A very slightly hazy reddish amber pour. Big off-white head

S: Huge aroma. You can smell it as soon as you open the bottle. Smells heavenly. Immediately out of the bottle it's balanced towards the malt, huge bread and a little caramel. As it warms a little the hops start to take over. Lots of citrus, seems mostly orange and pineapple. I swear there's banana too? Harsh pine floats in the background. One of the best beers I've smelt. Surprisingly no indication of alcohol.

T: Whoa. Not what I was expecting. Not nearly as bitter or hop forward as I was expecting. I think the super heavy malt base calms it down a bit. There is lots of citrus and pine but the super sweet malt crushes it pretty easily. There is something in the aftertaste that I don't really like - I've seen mention of onion and that's what I think it is. It's not bad but I get a flash of that bad taste for a split second here and there. Very odd. As the beer warms it gets worse and I eventually had to drain pour it. Ugh.

M: Super heavy and thick. Like drinking a concentrated IPA/DIPA. You can almost feel the hop oil coating your tongue.

O: Definitely an interesting experiment and if there ever were a Triple IPA, this would be right up there. Honestly I found it very similar to Hopsickle (another ridiculous hop bomb), though this one is stronger in ABV and in the malt - making it somewhat balanced. This would be way better if it weren't for that odd aftertaste that I felt really detracted from the flavor. Everything else was pretty stout though. If you don't like onions/garlic, avoid this beer.

07-10-2011 03:53:13 | More by Dope
tewaris

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz., bottled 06/17/2011 poured into a New Belgium balloon.

"Massive in complexity, the huge malt character balances the insane amount of alphas used to create it. At an incredible 112 IBUs, it's dry-hopped with ten hop varieties."

Beautiful copper red with good clarity and a very good alabaster head. Good head retention and lacing. Aroma is dominantly fresh pine, to the extent of being cool and almost minty. Some garlic notes lurk at the background. No alcohol is felt in the smell.

Tastes strongly, overwhelmingly, and one dimensionally bitter. Insanely bitter and at the threshold of my comfort level. Whoever thinks that beer cannot get any more bitter than their favorite/most hated D/IPA/Strong Ale/Barleywine needs to try this one. An unsurprising and powerfully bitter finish that doesn't let any sweetness whatsoever be felt. Alcohol is felt in its taste and warming effect. Body is medium and carbonation is on the lower side.

This might be the most bitter beer I have ever had (this or Hopsickle), and is certainly not very drinkable. But then, nor is Black Tuesday. I will give it to Founders that it's not a sweet mess like many higher ABV D/IPAs and if it had been lower on the booze coefficient, I will rate the taste higher.

However, the complexity of this beer is only on paper. It might be dry hopped with 10 hop varieties and might have a huge malt character, but the only quality that really shines is bitterness. An extreme beer and a punishment on the palate, I am not going to seek it out under normal circumstances. However, this might be one of the very few beers that can provide comfort in an acute case of Lupulin Threshold Shift.

Appearance: 4.5/5; Aroma 3.5/5; Taste 4/5; Mouthfeel 4/5; Overall 4/5

07-10-2011 03:34:06 | More by tewaris
Dubber55

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 6/2/11

Pours a copper/light amber with 1 finger of white bubbles.

Smells like floral and herbal hops. Plenty of pine, grass clippings, grapefruit rind and onions.

Taste is pungent hops. Very sticky and resiny. Pine, grapefruit and orange rind, and grass clippings. A little oniony also. But there is some balance. I do taste some sweetness from the malts. Leaves a lingering bitter aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. A pretty viscous beer. Low carbonation.

After reading some of the reviews, I wasn't sure about this one. It's somewhat drinkable. Its kind of boozy but not too off putting. I probably wouldnt drink this again because it's not really my style but it was worth a try

07-10-2011 01:19:23 | More by Dubber55
zeledonia

2.3/5  rDev -41%

Bottled some time in late June, 2011. I love Founders' new yellow bottled-on

Pours a very dark amber, with brown and red tones. Fluffy cream-colored head that has nice retention and great lacing. Tons of carbonation visible in the glass. When I swirl it, little curtains of bubbles stick to the sides of the glass below the surface, then come streaming back up.

Smell is dominated by fruity hops: pineapple, grapefruit, and some banana. Strong aromatics, and while the malt is there, I don't pick it up very well due to the power of the hops. Also a mixture of hop bitterness and alcohol sharpness coming through a bit later.

Taste is, IMO, overpoweringly bitter, and unpleasantly so. I don't get any of the fruity notes or what I'd call more enjoyable hop flavors due to the incredible bitterness. Really, this is probably the most bitter beer I've ever tasted (and I say probably only because I might be forgetting something). It comes on in two humps, a little one, followed by some caramel malt sweetness, then a massive wallop of biting bitterness that overwhelms my senses. Then the alcohol burn comes in to accompany the hops. Finish is long, persistent, bitter, and burning. Yowzer. I just don't get much beyond that bitter.

Mouthfeel is good - nice carbonation, medium-bodied, slightly sticky. As mentioned above, a very persistent finish.

I can respect everything about this beer, as it's clearly brewed for the massive hopheads. What I can't do is enjoy it. And I have loved many a DIPA, so it's not just the style. The massive level of alpha acids makes the beer taste like little more than a bitter onion bomb to me. And I like more complexity and flavor. An unquestioned drainpour.

07-09-2011 15:52:55 | More by zeledonia
Kayn169

2.73/5  rDev -30%

12oz bottle poured into a duvet tulip

Vintage: 2011

A- Best part of this beer, a brilliant ruby color. Kind of looks like a slightly darker Rose wine. Very small half finger, of off white head that faded quickly.

S- Sweet malts, honey, and alcohol,

T- First thing I notice is a big sweetness. The oddly enough, I get an almost metallic taste, along with an onion and maybe garlic flavors that persists through to the end, and lingers in the after taste. I can tell there are some citrusy hops running through the background, but the summit hops are prominent, and intrusive. I also get an alcohol burn reminiscent if hairspray.

M- A definite sweet thickness, a result of massive amount of hops and malts. Not quite syrupy, but close

O- I have always been a fan of Founders, and a hophead, so I was a little disappointed, I didn't get to try it last year. I heard some bad things, but figured it was just people not ready for this much hop. Well, if it's true, throw me into that category, because the Summit hops were just too much for me. I like my hops citrusy, not harsh and oniony. Over all just not good. I could have finished it, but decided not to and poured out about 1/3 of it.

07-09-2011 12:19:08 | More by Kayn169
zaphodchak

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Golden amber body, some foamy head that recedes into big surface memory.

Smells like a hop kick in the face. Smells like oregano and honey.

Tastes is hops that is hard to negotiate. There's some herb and spice here along with a bit of honey and the hop and oregano, but the lingering aftertaste is bitter.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard, not too carby.

Overall solid, I enjoyed it better than I would have predicted a triple IPA that broke the IBU scale; I'm not a bitter beer man.

07-09-2011 04:04:45 | More by zaphodchak
kawilliams81

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Served in 12 oz. tulip.

A- Light copper with a little pink hue to it. Nice head retention with some lacing left on the glass.

S- Sweet dark fruit with big citrusy grapefruit as well.

T- Sweet malts and a lot of citrus (grapefruit, orange) comes through in the middle. Huge bitter orange peel at the finish along with a good amount of alcohol.

M- Medium bodied. Fairly thin for a 13% beer. Bitterness sticks in your mouth after each drink.

O- Had this last year and thought it was better then. Think I will let the other 3 bottles age for a year or so.

07-09-2011 02:04:34 | More by kawilliams81
JayS2629

Alabama

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

It pours a dark, murky amber with a thin eggshell head that fades fast but leaves nice creamy rings of lace.

The aroma is absolutely intoxicating and rich. Orange marmalade, rich caramel, and a touch of pungent pine sap. Pineapple and apricot notes, loads of fruit with a sugary backbone and some herbal and earthy notes. Very sweet smelling.

The front end of this is absolutely, cloyingly sweet orange marmaldade. Delicious but cloying. Sweet orange that gives way to heavy honey and caramel. This fades into more bitter realms in the middle of orange peel, grapefruit, notes of pine sap and a boozy, scotch like burn. As the burn fades the finish fades into a medicinal, chewed asprin with earthy, herbal and grassy notes. Pungent burning, earthy onion, and resiny hop assault.The finish made the lasting impression horrible. Tart pineapple and tropical fruit rind. The start was a bit overbearing in sweetness only to fade into a mess of booze and bitterness. The aftertaste is horrible like bile. Tons of floral, perfume. Like drinking perfume. I imagine it wouldn't taste much different coming up than it did going down. I poured the majority of it out after giving it lots of little sip chances.

The body is fine, medium, with a bit of oily slickness. The finish burns the throat. Didn't hide the alcohol well.

Overall...if you are a hop head, enjoy the pungent oily mess. I like to think of myself as a hop head, but this is chalky, medicinal, boozy, and hard to even be a sipper. I up its overall for the wonderful aroma it has, but the combinations of things going on in this are quite horrible. This ripped my palate apart with no mercy and made me quit drinking for the night.

A lot of clashing going on in a confusing battle and assault on the senses. A novelty beer to brag about trying, but not one to sip alone. This hop bite is medicinal and lingering for entirely too long. A definite oily, resiny, sticky, hop bomb.

07-09-2011 01:04:50 | More by JayS2629
JizackFH

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Had on-tap at Rattle N Hum in Manhattan, NY on 6-29-11.
Reviewed from notes.

A - This beer pours a nice ruby copper color. It has a small slightly off-white head on it. The head has some good retention and leaves behind some lacing.

S - It has a big earthy hop smell. There are big scents of pine, citrus, spruce, and grapefruit. I am also getting a bit of malt peeking through from the background.

T - Upon first sip the palate is immediately attack by an assault of bitter hops. It is very bitter with a nice bit of citrus as well. There are also some woody flavors, spruce, pine, and a nice bit of sweetness. I heard this was a triple IPA, and I didn't quite believe it. I now stand corrected. This has a crazy hop presence, but the sweetness really gives it some nice balance. The finish has a strong lingering hop bitterness that clings to the palate and does not want to let go.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has an oily feel to it. It is super bitter and the flavor sticks in the mouth for a quite a while. There is also a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down good and tastes great. It is a little bit of a slow drinker, but if you are a big DIPA fan, I think you will love this. Overall, I thought it was an awesome beer, and I am really glad I got the chance to try it. This is definitely worth checking out.

07-08-2011 17:44:45 | More by JizackFH
Natural510

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz, bottled 6-02-11

Pours a thick-looking ale, dark amber-orange with small amount of head and sturdy ring of lace.

Sweet, spicy nose with heavy herbal presence. Very similar to a floral bouquet of orange-citric cannabis.

Flavor very thick with herbal pine notes and a sweet, syrupy citric malt. I say this without embellishment: the closest thing I've ever drunken which tastes exactly like fresh, high-grade cannabis. The marijuana flavor is intoxicating, without overpowering.
Complementing the herbal and sweet citric notes is a bone-dry finish with agreeable hop bite. There is also a smoky, meaty note to the finish.

Body is thick, full. Only criticism is it gets somehat flat as it sits.

Overall, great experience. The hops nor the alcohol content are overpowering, just enough to be enjoyable. I also enjoyed it taking me back to my weedhead days in Northern Cali.

$5.75 on one bottle well-spent. I hope I can find it again next year.

07-08-2011 09:16:06 | More by Natural510
foogerd

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Deep copper orange clear body with a thin off white head.

S- Pineapply hops with a solid grainy malt backing, fruity tropical aroma and malty crackers.

T- Serious hops rip your taste buds and demand a higher level of sensory ability. Whats amazing is the amount of balance Founders has managed to achieve despite its "Triple IPA" status. Considering the high level abv its damn well hidden. The hops here showcase beautifully with the malt backing, tropical fruits and caramel malts intermingle in a dance that can last all night long.

M- Moderate carbonation gives my tongue a prickley sensation from the hops.

O- This is no gimmick, the balance is a work of art in a bottle.

07-08-2011 05:05:02 | More by foogerd
CuttDeez

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at rustico in a goblet/chalice

A - A nice amber brick body with a good amount of white lacing. The body is slightly hazy.

S - The smell has a ton of pine on it. There are stong maly notes that come in on the back end. The smell is strong hot.

T & M & D - The taste is all kinds of malty carmalized sweet sugar. That lasts the whole front and middle of the taste and into the back end of the palate. It is not until the finish that a slight bitter cleanness comes in. The beer is smooth in body and full. The beer packs a significant punch.

O - Worth a try on this one. A big bold beer that demands a sip.

-Cheers

07-08-2011 01:00:18 | More by CuttDeez
dgugliuzza

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Founder's snifter

Pours bright amber with little bubbles around the rim of the glass. Has no head to speak other than a thin white film. Appears vibrant with little carbonation.

A blast of piney hops followed by spicy and leafy hops. This one pretty much covers all the hop bases. Has a biscuity finish. Alcohol burn is felt in the back of the nostrils. Some sweet malt and caramel also detected. This is one potent beer.

Tastes of puckering bitter hops that are mostly of the piney and spicy variety. Alcoholic burn as it goes down. Has hints of biscuity malt, but the hops suppress that almost immediately. Not at all balanced, and yet very flavorful.

Has a light-medium mouthfeel with adequate creaminess. At 12% abv and 112 ibu's you better believe that this one's a sipper.

Overall this is an absolute hop monster that still manages to taste excellent. Is it over done and over the top? Surely; however, it does get easier to drink with each sip. I recommend cellaring for a year or three to see what flavors arise as the hops mellow.

07-07-2011 02:47:13 | More by dgugliuzza
cetherid

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours a copper orange color. About 2 fingers worth of thick/frothy white head. Some pretty nice lacing going on the sides of my glass. It's a pretty looking beer...afraid this might be the highest rated part of the beer though.

S.

A big hop aroma was present right out of the bottle when I cracked it open...smelling from my tulip glass, its very powerful. Strong dank hops with onions mixed in. Almost like someone threw together a bag full of lawn clippings, pot, onions and a few citrus rinds. Alcohol smell is prevalent as well. If we were rating on how strong it smells, I'd give it an A+...since I'm rating it on how an Imperial IPA smells, I'll give it a 3.5...and I'm being a little generous. Just too many things going on at once make it a little hard to enjoy.

T.

At the first sip there is a touch of sweetness then a huge hop assault comes in. Same flavors as expected from the nose. Like some blended some pot, weeds, onions and maybe a little citrus fruit and pine resin. Finish is surprisingly smooth at the very end from the sweet malts. Alcohol is noticeable. If you can chew your way through taste it's not terrible, but the flavors are somewhat of a turnoff. A lot of the flavors seem to be fighting with each other and nothing stands out. It's almost like this is a novelty beer Founder's put out just to show you how hoppy and extreme they can make a beer. I get an aftertaste of plants, fruit rinds and plant resin.

M.

medium to full bodied. good carbonation. Kind of an oily mouthfeel. Decent IMO.

O.

Other than maybe to try on tap, I doubt I'll try this fresh again. At least with the 2011 batch. I'm very interested to see how a year of age would do with this (yes, age a DIPA..make that a TIPA). As said previously...seems more like a novelty beer than anything else. It's not an F, but a bit of a chore to drink through right now.

07-07-2011 01:35:37 | More by cetherid
JLeege

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Triple IPA, now it’s a party! Bottled 6/12/11.

Appearance- Poured into a tulip glass, pours a very slightly hazy amber color with about two fingers of off white head. Decent retention for a huge beer, a little lace.

Smell- Loads of hops on the nose. Every smell brings up something else. From pine, to citrus, and slightly herbaceous. An underlying sweetness as well. Complex hop bill, but could use a bit more focus if you want to get picky.

Taste- A dank earthiness at the outset, borderline dank weed like presence. Then some major pine resin towards the middle of the drink. Leading into some more floral and citrus notes towards the finish. Grapefruit and bitter orange peel are noted. The underlying sweetness is lingering throughout as the aroma would suggest, almost like a caramelized hop candy. There is also the distinct onion presence on the finish, though personally I don’t find it as off putting as some.

Mouthfeel- Slightly oily body and a bit sticky. It is bitter, but it is restrained with the sweet malty backbone. ABV’s are hid well for 12%, just a slight warming.

Overall- It is worth trying, but it’s not the complete hop orgy I was hoping for. I can see where the onion flavor can be a total turnoff for some people, it’s not necessarily pleasant, but it doesn’t completely ruin the beer for me. Triple IPA is not an official style, but there are many other Imperial/Double IPA’s in the 8-10% ABV range that I would chose over this.

07-06-2011 23:52:16 | More by JLeege
BeerLover99

3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: deep tan/orange body, trace head, very little lacing

S: huge alcohol punch in the face, pineapple, mango, light pine, malt

T: sweet grapefruit, malt middle, HUGE alcohol flavor, long bitter hop bomb finish

M: med/heavy, big sticky/oily mouth

O: WHAT ON EARTH? I usually love everything Founders
does, but this just was like Death Metal meets Techno
on volume 11, just way too many intense flavors
and aromas all at once. Huge sipper; usually love
insane big or wild beers, but this one just didn't work for me.

INTERESTING, NOT A MUST HAVE!

07-06-2011 22:03:39 | More by BeerLover99