Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a nice rusty amber. Well-thick head of off-white carbonation. Thick and intricately-detailed lace.

Nose is delicious citrus and floral hops. Reminds me much of Double Trouble, so high points there.

Taste is a crush of bitter citrus hops snappiness, followed by a freight train of bready malt goodness. There is a slight alcohol sting near the finish, but in truth, this one's much more balanced than expected of such a heavy-duty brew. Definitely one for hopheads, but Devil Dancer is a delicious beer, no doubt about it.

My only issue is the price -- $5.59 for a single 12 oz. bottle is far too steep.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

Bottle into a Nonick

Appearance - Pure copper

Smell - HOPS!!

Taste - Metric-Crapload of HOPS!! & BOOZE!!

Mouthfeel - Barleywine like in body

Overall - Holy Crap! Whatta Beer!
This beer was designed to be a "Hop Sledgehammer To The Face". It's not trying to be anything else. I like it for that.

If you're looking for something subtle, you choose the wrong beer. If you wanna "Rock Out With Your Hops Out", this is the one for you.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from bottle into Perfect Pint glass.

Pour yields about a finger of light, light tan head, which fades to almost nothing, with decent retention on glass. Dark orange/Ruby Red grapfruit coloring, looks fantastic. I was not expecting the smell to be so dank, particularly because I just tried this for the first time 2 days ago on draft, after picking up six bottles, and was not terribly impressed (which leads me to embark on another story, for another time, about my fondness for bottle over daft in most cases). This, though, is amazing. I smell pine resin, intense malt with a dash of caramel but not much. There is citrus, most likely grapefruit, and of course sick hops. Taste out of the bottle dwarfs the draft version I had but two days ago. In general, taste here follows the nose. Dank pine resin and citrus hops galore, brilliantly hide the 12%ABV. Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth, with light to medium carbonation and light bitterness. Overall this is excellent. I suppose I enjoy this more than most, but then again, Founders makes my favorite beers. I should have bought more of this.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottled-on date was unreadable. Recent arrival at busy, large beer store on Boston's North Shore. Consumed in 9 oz tulip glass.

A. A very nice burnt orange/amber color with a slight hazy hue. With minimal to no head.

S. A very light and very subtle sweet, flower like smell. A bit less aroma then I was expecting for a beer with as much hops, ABV and IBU's.

T. An enjoyable, boozy, slighty sweet, hoppy, slighty barly wine like flavor.

M. Leaves a nice dry bite on your palette that makes you want to take another sip.

O. Overall, a very nice beer that I enjoyed. Might be a little too much for your average beer drinker, however hardcore beer nerds will enjoy this one alot. Another solid offering from Founders.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

I waited a few days to review this beer because I couldn't quite put my finger on how I felt about it. Although I love high alcohol beers and this one was definitely different than your average IPA, I also knew right away I didn't like it as much as some other pale ales that I have had. What I ended up doing was looking at all of my IPA reviews and went down the list until I felt I had put this one in the right spot on my rankings.

The appearance when poured into my glass was intriguing for sure. It was a darker orange than what I am used to with an IPA. The smell and mouthfeel also showed the presence of high alcohol.

The taste wasn't as high in hops as I thought it would be. There was actually a fair amount of sweet maltiness that masked some of the hops. Add in the alcoholic warmth that is sure to come with a beer with this high of an ABV and you are left with a fairly complex beer. That said, it didn't pack the citrusy hoppy punch that are present in most of my favorite IPAS.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company