Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
zeledonia

2.3/5  rDev -41%

Bottled some time in late June, 2011. I love Founders' new yellow bottled-on

Pours a very dark amber, with brown and red tones. Fluffy cream-colored head that has nice retention and great lacing. Tons of carbonation visible in the glass. When I swirl it, little curtains of bubbles stick to the sides of the glass below the surface, then come streaming back up.

Smell is dominated by fruity hops: pineapple, grapefruit, and some banana. Strong aromatics, and while the malt is there, I don't pick it up very well due to the power of the hops. Also a mixture of hop bitterness and alcohol sharpness coming through a bit later.

Taste is, IMO, overpoweringly bitter, and unpleasantly so. I don't get any of the fruity notes or what I'd call more enjoyable hop flavors due to the incredible bitterness. Really, this is probably the most bitter beer I've ever tasted (and I say probably only because I might be forgetting something). It comes on in two humps, a little one, followed by some caramel malt sweetness, then a massive wallop of biting bitterness that overwhelms my senses. Then the alcohol burn comes in to accompany the hops. Finish is long, persistent, bitter, and burning. Yowzer. I just don't get much beyond that bitter.

Mouthfeel is good - nice carbonation, medium-bodied, slightly sticky. As mentioned above, a very persistent finish.

I can respect everything about this beer, as it's clearly brewed for the massive hopheads. What I can't do is enjoy it. And I have loved many a DIPA, so it's not just the style. The massive level of alpha acids makes the beer taste like little more than a bitter onion bomb to me. And I like more complexity and flavor. An unquestioned drainpour.

07-09-2011 15:52:55 | More by zeledonia
Kayn169

2.73/5  rDev -30%

12oz bottle poured into a duvet tulip

Vintage: 2011

A- Best part of this beer, a brilliant ruby color. Kind of looks like a slightly darker Rose wine. Very small half finger, of off white head that faded quickly.

S- Sweet malts, honey, and alcohol,

T- First thing I notice is a big sweetness. The oddly enough, I get an almost metallic taste, along with an onion and maybe garlic flavors that persists through to the end, and lingers in the after taste. I can tell there are some citrusy hops running through the background, but the summit hops are prominent, and intrusive. I also get an alcohol burn reminiscent if hairspray.

M- A definite sweet thickness, a result of massive amount of hops and malts. Not quite syrupy, but close

O- I have always been a fan of Founders, and a hophead, so I was a little disappointed, I didn't get to try it last year. I heard some bad things, but figured it was just people not ready for this much hop. Well, if it's true, throw me into that category, because the Summit hops were just too much for me. I like my hops citrusy, not harsh and oniony. Over all just not good. I could have finished it, but decided not to and poured out about 1/3 of it.

07-09-2011 12:19:08 | More by Kayn169
zaphodchak

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Golden amber body, some foamy head that recedes into big surface memory.

Smells like a hop kick in the face. Smells like oregano and honey.

Tastes is hops that is hard to negotiate. There's some herb and spice here along with a bit of honey and the hop and oregano, but the lingering aftertaste is bitter.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard, not too carby.

Overall solid, I enjoyed it better than I would have predicted a triple IPA that broke the IBU scale; I'm not a bitter beer man.

07-09-2011 04:04:45 | More by zaphodchak
kawilliams81

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Served in 12 oz. tulip.

A- Light copper with a little pink hue to it. Nice head retention with some lacing left on the glass.

S- Sweet dark fruit with big citrusy grapefruit as well.

T- Sweet malts and a lot of citrus (grapefruit, orange) comes through in the middle. Huge bitter orange peel at the finish along with a good amount of alcohol.

M- Medium bodied. Fairly thin for a 13% beer. Bitterness sticks in your mouth after each drink.

O- Had this last year and thought it was better then. Think I will let the other 3 bottles age for a year or so.

07-09-2011 02:04:34 | More by kawilliams81
JayS2629

Alabama

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

It pours a dark, murky amber with a thin eggshell head that fades fast but leaves nice creamy rings of lace.

The aroma is absolutely intoxicating and rich. Orange marmalade, rich caramel, and a touch of pungent pine sap. Pineapple and apricot notes, loads of fruit with a sugary backbone and some herbal and earthy notes. Very sweet smelling.

The front end of this is absolutely, cloyingly sweet orange marmaldade. Delicious but cloying. Sweet orange that gives way to heavy honey and caramel. This fades into more bitter realms in the middle of orange peel, grapefruit, notes of pine sap and a boozy, scotch like burn. As the burn fades the finish fades into a medicinal, chewed asprin with earthy, herbal and grassy notes. Pungent burning, earthy onion, and resiny hop assault.The finish made the lasting impression horrible. Tart pineapple and tropical fruit rind. The start was a bit overbearing in sweetness only to fade into a mess of booze and bitterness. The aftertaste is horrible like bile. Tons of floral, perfume. Like drinking perfume. I imagine it wouldn't taste much different coming up than it did going down. I poured the majority of it out after giving it lots of little sip chances.

The body is fine, medium, with a bit of oily slickness. The finish burns the throat. Didn't hide the alcohol well.

Overall...if you are a hop head, enjoy the pungent oily mess. I like to think of myself as a hop head, but this is chalky, medicinal, boozy, and hard to even be a sipper. I up its overall for the wonderful aroma it has, but the combinations of things going on in this are quite horrible. This ripped my palate apart with no mercy and made me quit drinking for the night.

A lot of clashing going on in a confusing battle and assault on the senses. A novelty beer to brag about trying, but not one to sip alone. This hop bite is medicinal and lingering for entirely too long. A definite oily, resiny, sticky, hop bomb.

07-09-2011 01:04:50 | More by JayS2629
JizackFH

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Had on-tap at Rattle N Hum in Manhattan, NY on 6-29-11.
Reviewed from notes.

A - This beer pours a nice ruby copper color. It has a small slightly off-white head on it. The head has some good retention and leaves behind some lacing.

S - It has a big earthy hop smell. There are big scents of pine, citrus, spruce, and grapefruit. I am also getting a bit of malt peeking through from the background.

T - Upon first sip the palate is immediately attack by an assault of bitter hops. It is very bitter with a nice bit of citrus as well. There are also some woody flavors, spruce, pine, and a nice bit of sweetness. I heard this was a triple IPA, and I didn't quite believe it. I now stand corrected. This has a crazy hop presence, but the sweetness really gives it some nice balance. The finish has a strong lingering hop bitterness that clings to the palate and does not want to let go.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has an oily feel to it. It is super bitter and the flavor sticks in the mouth for a quite a while. There is also a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down good and tastes great. It is a little bit of a slow drinker, but if you are a big DIPA fan, I think you will love this. Overall, I thought it was an awesome beer, and I am really glad I got the chance to try it. This is definitely worth checking out.

07-08-2011 17:44:45 | More by JizackFH
Natural510

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz, bottled 6-02-11

Pours a thick-looking ale, dark amber-orange with small amount of head and sturdy ring of lace.

Sweet, spicy nose with heavy herbal presence. Very similar to a floral bouquet of orange-citric cannabis.

Flavor very thick with herbal pine notes and a sweet, syrupy citric malt. I say this without embellishment: the closest thing I've ever drunken which tastes exactly like fresh, high-grade cannabis. The marijuana flavor is intoxicating, without overpowering.
Complementing the herbal and sweet citric notes is a bone-dry finish with agreeable hop bite. There is also a smoky, meaty note to the finish.

Body is thick, full. Only criticism is it gets somehat flat as it sits.

Overall, great experience. The hops nor the alcohol content are overpowering, just enough to be enjoyable. I also enjoyed it taking me back to my weedhead days in Northern Cali.

$5.75 on one bottle well-spent. I hope I can find it again next year.

07-08-2011 09:16:06 | More by Natural510
foogerd

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Deep copper orange clear body with a thin off white head.

S- Pineapply hops with a solid grainy malt backing, fruity tropical aroma and malty crackers.

T- Serious hops rip your taste buds and demand a higher level of sensory ability. Whats amazing is the amount of balance Founders has managed to achieve despite its "Triple IPA" status. Considering the high level abv its damn well hidden. The hops here showcase beautifully with the malt backing, tropical fruits and caramel malts intermingle in a dance that can last all night long.

M- Moderate carbonation gives my tongue a prickley sensation from the hops.

O- This is no gimmick, the balance is a work of art in a bottle.

07-08-2011 05:05:02 | More by foogerd
CuttDeez

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at rustico in a goblet/chalice

A - A nice amber brick body with a good amount of white lacing. The body is slightly hazy.

S - The smell has a ton of pine on it. There are stong maly notes that come in on the back end. The smell is strong hot.

T & M & D - The taste is all kinds of malty carmalized sweet sugar. That lasts the whole front and middle of the taste and into the back end of the palate. It is not until the finish that a slight bitter cleanness comes in. The beer is smooth in body and full. The beer packs a significant punch.

O - Worth a try on this one. A big bold beer that demands a sip.

-Cheers

07-08-2011 01:00:18 | More by CuttDeez
dgugliuzza

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Founder's snifter

Pours bright amber with little bubbles around the rim of the glass. Has no head to speak other than a thin white film. Appears vibrant with little carbonation.

A blast of piney hops followed by spicy and leafy hops. This one pretty much covers all the hop bases. Has a biscuity finish. Alcohol burn is felt in the back of the nostrils. Some sweet malt and caramel also detected. This is one potent beer.

Tastes of puckering bitter hops that are mostly of the piney and spicy variety. Alcoholic burn as it goes down. Has hints of biscuity malt, but the hops suppress that almost immediately. Not at all balanced, and yet very flavorful.

Has a light-medium mouthfeel with adequate creaminess. At 12% abv and 112 ibu's you better believe that this one's a sipper.

Overall this is an absolute hop monster that still manages to taste excellent. Is it over done and over the top? Surely; however, it does get easier to drink with each sip. I recommend cellaring for a year or three to see what flavors arise as the hops mellow.

07-07-2011 02:47:13 | More by dgugliuzza
cetherid

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours a copper orange color. About 2 fingers worth of thick/frothy white head. Some pretty nice lacing going on the sides of my glass. It's a pretty looking beer...afraid this might be the highest rated part of the beer though.

S.

A big hop aroma was present right out of the bottle when I cracked it open...smelling from my tulip glass, its very powerful. Strong dank hops with onions mixed in. Almost like someone threw together a bag full of lawn clippings, pot, onions and a few citrus rinds. Alcohol smell is prevalent as well. If we were rating on how strong it smells, I'd give it an A+...since I'm rating it on how an Imperial IPA smells, I'll give it a 3.5...and I'm being a little generous. Just too many things going on at once make it a little hard to enjoy.

T.

At the first sip there is a touch of sweetness then a huge hop assault comes in. Same flavors as expected from the nose. Like some blended some pot, weeds, onions and maybe a little citrus fruit and pine resin. Finish is surprisingly smooth at the very end from the sweet malts. Alcohol is noticeable. If you can chew your way through taste it's not terrible, but the flavors are somewhat of a turnoff. A lot of the flavors seem to be fighting with each other and nothing stands out. It's almost like this is a novelty beer Founder's put out just to show you how hoppy and extreme they can make a beer. I get an aftertaste of plants, fruit rinds and plant resin.

M.

medium to full bodied. good carbonation. Kind of an oily mouthfeel. Decent IMO.

O.

Other than maybe to try on tap, I doubt I'll try this fresh again. At least with the 2011 batch. I'm very interested to see how a year of age would do with this (yes, age a DIPA..make that a TIPA). As said previously...seems more like a novelty beer than anything else. It's not an F, but a bit of a chore to drink through right now.

07-07-2011 01:35:37 | More by cetherid
JLeege

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Triple IPA, now it’s a party! Bottled 6/12/11.

Appearance- Poured into a tulip glass, pours a very slightly hazy amber color with about two fingers of off white head. Decent retention for a huge beer, a little lace.

Smell- Loads of hops on the nose. Every smell brings up something else. From pine, to citrus, and slightly herbaceous. An underlying sweetness as well. Complex hop bill, but could use a bit more focus if you want to get picky.

Taste- A dank earthiness at the outset, borderline dank weed like presence. Then some major pine resin towards the middle of the drink. Leading into some more floral and citrus notes towards the finish. Grapefruit and bitter orange peel are noted. The underlying sweetness is lingering throughout as the aroma would suggest, almost like a caramelized hop candy. There is also the distinct onion presence on the finish, though personally I don’t find it as off putting as some.

Mouthfeel- Slightly oily body and a bit sticky. It is bitter, but it is restrained with the sweet malty backbone. ABV’s are hid well for 12%, just a slight warming.

Overall- It is worth trying, but it’s not the complete hop orgy I was hoping for. I can see where the onion flavor can be a total turnoff for some people, it’s not necessarily pleasant, but it doesn’t completely ruin the beer for me. Triple IPA is not an official style, but there are many other Imperial/Double IPA’s in the 8-10% ABV range that I would chose over this.

07-06-2011 23:52:16 | More by JLeege
BeerLover99

3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: deep tan/orange body, trace head, very little lacing

S: huge alcohol punch in the face, pineapple, mango, light pine, malt

T: sweet grapefruit, malt middle, HUGE alcohol flavor, long bitter hop bomb finish

M: med/heavy, big sticky/oily mouth

O: WHAT ON EARTH? I usually love everything Founders
does, but this just was like Death Metal meets Techno
on volume 11, just way too many intense flavors
and aromas all at once. Huge sipper; usually love
insane big or wild beers, but this one just didn't work for me.

INTERESTING, NOT A MUST HAVE!

07-06-2011 22:03:39 | More by BeerLover99
ggilman

Maine

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sebago Brewing Co. tulip glass.
Found a freshness date, but it was partially erased. Bottled on the second day of a month in 2011. I let this sit for about ten minutes on the counter top before cracking the bottle.

Deep copper and somewhat clear, with a modest one finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Sticky lace abounds. Looks like an Imperial, very robust. The nose is pungent, skunky with a strong grapefruit note. First sip is full of caramel malt, with that cactusy, skunky and grapefruit bitter hop flavor coming in at the end. Alcohol, more grapefruit bitterness and more malt in the finish. Tastes like a slightly charred grilled caramelized grapefruit. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel, with a decent amount of carbonation. This is pungent. I think I can taste the 12% pretty clearly.

Not sure if I'm ranking a fresh bottle, or one that's been on the shelf for a while. I'll edit the review if I ever have a chance to have it again.

Not even halfway through, and I'm already breathing fire. Potent.

07-06-2011 21:33:56 | More by ggilman
mulder1010

Australia

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a wine glass
Bought at Crown Liquors in Indy

A-- Poured a dark, golden amber color. Shows no carbonation and quite cloudy. Short lived bright white head that went straight to film. A bit of head retention on swirling. A few spots of lacing and a lot of legs shown with this. ABV is obvious.

S-- Thick, bright and fresh grapefruit smell. it is a bit syrupy and also a bit pungent. Smells like a sugared grapefruit.

T-- Grapefruit, grapefruit and grapefruit. One dimensional taste but pretty good. Very bold but reserved.

M-- Pungent and bitter grapefruit. Slightly syrupy and the Alcohol is well hidden. Bitterness is more in the back of the mouth. Sweetness is more in the front. Quite smooth really. Heavy feel and low carbonation. A little bit of smoke does come out with more air. Not sure I like that though.

O-- Good but one dimensional. Smoke taste does little to help the massive grapefruit taste. hurts it really. It is a sipper and a good nightcap. Would I buy again? Doubtful due to the smoke in this. Needs to be brighter and more citrus I think.

07-06-2011 05:25:08 | More by mulder1010
jsulko

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a deep reddish copper with a small head that disappears quickly.

Smell is grapefruity with some smoky/maltness in the background.

Taste is bitter grapefruity with the bitterness lingering on the finish.

Had a lot of hopes for this beer coming off double trouble and it just didn't live up to it. For the price($22.00) there are better double/triple IPAS out there.

07-06-2011 03:50:45 | More by jsulko
JamnesCameron

1.38/5  rDev -64.6%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a deep, clear copper with about one finger of off white head that does not last. Leaves a wisp of foam and some lacing.

Aromas of minty, citric, grassy, and earthy hops. Some malt sweetness, but this is mostly hops. As it warms, some garlic and oniony notes come through. Uh Oh. Summit.

Flavors of... wow. This definitely has summit hops. I hate summit hops. Garlicy, oniony flavors dominate. I can't taste anything but garlic and onions. Not pleasant. This really pisses me off. I guess I should have researched this beer first.

Mouthfeel, I'm sorry, but I can't get past the summit hops.

Overall, this is not to my liking. I know they put a lot of effort into this and some people really like it. But this is one of the worst beers I've tasted in a long time. If you don't like summit, avoid this beer.

07-06-2011 03:33:17 | More by JamnesCameron
smakawhat

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured on tap into a snifer at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC.

A creamy off white head that is super cream looking almost off nitro it seems, sits on a gorgeous brown red couldy body. There is a hint of looking at some small tiny rising carbonation froom the bottom. While drinking thick circles of foamy lace circle my glass. Very impressive.

This nose is one giant friggin grapefruit fresh bomb. However, it is fresh ripened grapefruit with sprinkled sugar on top giving just a hint of sweetness. This is just ripe and totaly bursting.

Taste brings the sense from the nose. Completely intense bitter fresh grapefruit boxed juice in the palate. Gives way on the finish to raw pine and sharp pine needle bitterness. Faint hint of sweet alcohol and malt on the finish as well, but the hops are just overpowering. There is very big borderline syrup quality to this brew but without the big boozyness and finish.

Overall, I could probably only drink a little bit of this at a time cause it's just so massive. A truly sippers IPA, but for some people this beer must be a hop heads dream brew.

07-05-2011 18:09:34 | More by smakawhat
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

This is a beer I've been a fan of for a long time! Poured into a sniffer.

Has a great reddish orange look with ample head and lacing, quite pretty!

The smell is absolutely breathtaking for a hop lover: the freshest cut hops shine through in the dankest and most tropical fruit way possible, absolutely delicious. Just enough of a spicy sweet almost smoky malt to prop up the hops!

The taste is also amazing with the hops coming through amazingly well again in a citrus, weed, and tropical sweet manner with some nice bitter bite that is complimented greatly by the spicy sweet malt base, again I love the 'fire' like aspect of this. I can't believe there's no alcohol in the feel as it rolls nicely over the tongue with some stickiness and smoothness with some bitters in the finish with lingering hop flavor. A little abrasive with the malt/hops at the end, but still good.

Overall I love this beer, a perennial favorite for me!

07-04-2011 13:00:54 | More by Dreadnaught33
Zombiedestroyer

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Finally the time comes that Devil Dancer is released. It's the one thing that I love and despise about seasonal releases. I wish they were constantly available because I love them so much, but I also feel that the limited availability makes me appreciate the brew all the more. Devil dancer is a one of a kind beer and it has a unique and complex flavor that allows it to stand apart from any other IPAs.

Appearance - Whether it be from bottle or on tap, Devil Dancer pours a beautiful dark amber. It has head comparable to most high alcohol beers, and lacing is prevalent while the head remains, but quickly dissipates mid way through the session.

Smell - Sweet aromas emanate, while a sharp twinge of hops comes off the back. The typical IPA aromatics are there, but are followed by a complex sweetness, especially as it begins to warm.

Taste - Similar to the complex aromatics, Devil Dancer has a strong presence of hops on the front, but not overpoweringly so along with the typical citrus and pine flavors from a quality IPA. Sweet caramel and brown sugar notes quickly follow along with a slow bitter bite as the after taste. Most would expect some overpowering characteristics from a Triple IPA, but in the case of Devil Dancer, the full taste of a triple IPA are present, but it drinks much more like a double IPA. It is also not overpowered by the rather high alcohol content, and actually provides a nice balance between the flavors and presence of alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Rich and creamy beer with a smooth consistency and a full body.

Overall - Devil Dancer is a beer that is fantastic whether it be on tap, or found in a much sought after four pack. It has a great taste that any true IPA drinker will enjoy, and though it has a high alcohol content (12%-13% depending) it is not an overpowering characteristic of the beer as many would think. Highly recommended, and its a great beer for any beer lover to try.

07-03-2011 04:22:35 | More by Zombiedestroyer
HopDiggityDawg

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 6/2/11 poured into a snifter
Apperance - burnt orange
Smell - Dank hops, great smell
taste - Hop assault, oily, resin, hop bomb
mouthfeel - medium to full,
overall - try this one fresh, I deleted an old review because after having this fresh I realized that it is a different beer when it is fresh. Founders Rocks!

07-02-2011 12:08:32 | More by HopDiggityDawg
NorthsideFred

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Enjoying 8 ounces, in a snifter, on tap, at Founders, for $5.

A: Pretty. Pours a hazy orange.

S: The most intense pine I've ever sniffed in a beer! Some tropical fruits try to squeeze through, but this is all about the pine (and the hints of pot, onions, basil, etc...).

T: I like it a lot. Sweet, piney, goodness, with a hint of tropical fruit. If George Brett was here, he'd make them check the glass for pine tar!

M: I don't know how one beer can be both oily and sticky but it is. Medium to full bodied with nice carbonation.

O: Damn good beer. One of the most complex beers I've ever had. Couldn't drink too many, but I like it a lot.

07-02-2011 04:06:06 | More by NorthsideFred
DoctorDog

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. botle into a snifter. "Bottled 6/02/11" stamped on the neck of the bottle.

A- Pours a very slightly hazy amber/copper. Pours with ~1/2 finger of white head, which fades quickly to a small island. Fair amount of sticky lacing left behind.

S- A big smack of pine, grapefruit, tropical fruits, and pine hop notes, along with some other hard to discern notes (probably some pine derivatives). The ample caramel malt sweetness that eventually manages to get past the hops to provide some balance.

T- Sweet, juicy, and bitter. Pine resin. Grapefruits. Caramel. Mangos. Alcohol. Delicious, but an absolute palate crusher.

M- Moderately low carbonation and a fairly full feel. Oily, resinous stuff.

O- Very good. Hard to quantify...a delicious, one and done 2 x 4 to your mouth, brain, and liver.

Future outlook: Great stuff, but intense (and $$$). I'm glad to have 4, yet probably glad to only have 4. I'll get this again next year, as I should be recovered enough by then.

07-02-2011 02:22:13 | More by DoctorDog
VelvetExtract

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

A-This beer pours a deep ruby brown color. Head is thin but the color is pretty. Reddish hints are found in the color of the head. Spotty, patchy lacing sticks to the glass. The rich, dark color of the beer leads me to believe this will be a nose and tongue destroyer.

S-Good lord what a pungent aroma. Literally smells like freshly picked marijuana. A green onion scent is also very powerful. This beer stinks. I like such stink, but boy, this is one frighteningly powerful aroma. Lightly alcoholic, a doses of pine and strong grapefruit mix into the scent.

T-This beer is extremely fresh, and you can blatantly tell in the flavor. The reefer smell is just as prevalent on the palate. Grapefruit is ripe, and unbelievably intense. The alcohol is masked well but is still noticeable. A very full malt attempts to match the ridiculous hop burn. Without a doubt one of the most intense flavors I have gotten from a beer. Actually, this is the most intense flavor from and form of IPA/DIPA/IIIPA. Just bold, and amazingly assertive.

M-Very full bodied. Barleywine-esque. Slick, sticky, resinous. Lighter carbonation. Alcohol adds to the feel's bulk. The feel matches the grandiosity of the appearance, smell, and taste.

O/D-Have been waiting to try this for a long while. One of the most dynamic things I have ever eaten or imbibed. At %12, one bottle a night is just right. Just a monster that needs to be conquered by any who love craft beer. Not for everyone; but definitely for me. I always thought the idea of a Triple IPA was a gimmick. This one actually might validate the style. This beer will live in infamy with me. Great time!

Note: After finishing one bottle tonight, the bitterness is seeemingly never ending. A tongue scorcher.

07-02-2011 02:03:25 | More by VelvetExtract
Dan3279

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%

2011 Devil Dancer, bottled on 6/2/11 so it is exactly one month old. I haven't been on the scene a full year so this is really my first crack at getting Devil Dancer. I have been looking forward to this one for a while and I was lucky enough to score two bottles today at my local beer shop.

I poured the 12oz bottle into my DHF snifter glass to find a nice amber colored body with little white head that left a little lacing. Now I have to talk about the aroma and taste combined for a minute here. One could say that say the aroma and taste fall along the lines of wet pine. I am going to take it a step further and say that both the aroma and taste seriously remind me of weed.

The taste just blew my mind. I was expecting this super strong wave of bitterness to take over my mouth and make this drink unbearable. I had the exact opposite experience, this beer was strong yet a pure joy to drink. It completely destroys your pallet (in a good way) leaving you to only want to drink more and more to try to get back to that explosion of your first taste.

Lets not forget about the alcohol either, its listed at 12% and how accurate that statement is can be debated (living here in Ohio with the current 12% cap I think the number is fudged to get it here in the state :) ) You notice a bit of the alcohol in the aroma and the taste but its not as dominating as I feared it would be. In fact its balanced in very well, its not hidden by any means but its the perfect balance with the carbonation and flavors.

I can't say enough great things about this beer, it completely blew me away and I enjoyed it to the last drop. I am very close to saying that this is the best IPA I have ever had but I'm not there yet. When it comes time to drink the second bottle I am going to grab my headphones and but on The Grateful Dead's "Friend Of The Devil" because this beer is defiantly a friend of mine!

Now the challenge is to find more or wait until next July!

07-02-2011 02:02:38 | More by Dan3279