Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
litheum94

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle. Bottling date is unreadable.

Penny copper body. Tiny, tan tinged head that doesn't leave much covering. Some lacing on the glass.

Peach, mango, papaya and some skunk weed on the nose. Light spicing. Lots of sweet caramel candy. Over all sweet smelling on the nose.

An all out hop assault. Some tropical fruit sweetness leads to an intense pine and floral bitterness. Pepper and some caramel and biscuit malts. These are immediately beaten down by an extreme bitterness that completely dries out the mouth and leaves some burning alcohol flavors in the mouth.

Balance is nowhere to be seen. I know that I should probably ding this beer for that, but the bitterness compels me to keep drinking it. It just destroys your mouth, and leaves you wanting more. As a Triple IPA should. Very good.

09-24-2011 22:55:32 | More by litheum94
Morey

12oz. bottle with "Bottled on 6/2/11" printed on the neck of the bottle.

Pours a hazy red-orange color and is topped by one finger's worth of cream colored foam that has settled to pretty thin lace after a few minutes. Sticky hops make the head retention impressive on this one despite being so high in alcohol.

Smell is malt heavy with sticky/grassy hops not too far behind the initial malt-wall.

Wow! More of the same in the taste. A huge uppercut of malty goodness followed by a backhand across the face of sticky hops. Sweet finish with a lingering bitterness.

Thick full bodied mouthfeel with a sticky syrupy character.

It's not really fair to put this up against the likes of other elite DIPAs, because this is more of a hopped up Barleywine. An enjoyable brew never the less.

Morey's Bottom Line: A sipper to be sure. Not sure I like the release date on this one. Would prefer a fall/winter release, but I'll take it when I can get it. Big Beer....not for the inexperienced.

09-24-2011 20:49:32 | More by Morey
flagmantho

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy body with a tawny hue. Poured with a very thin layer of tan foam. Pretty mellow appearance.

Smell: aroma is reminiscent of a strong ale with a big malt character and tons of hops. Hop complexity is nice with herbal, spicy and even a little bit of citrus character. I like it.

Taste: big malt backbone and a massive bitterness. Flavor is good with a complex hop bill similar to the aroma, but it is a little bit of a mess. I like it, but it lacks refinement.

Mouthfeel: big body with a decent carbonation yielding a silky, somewhat creamy texture. For the style and the ABV, it is quite nice.

Overall: this is an enjoyable strong ale / double IPA / whatever. Like I said, it is a bit all over the place, but it is still a pretty tasty quaff.

09-22-2011 05:09:36 | More by flagmantho
dfclav

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

A - a dark amber / bronzelike pour with a decent two finger head that doesn't hang around for long but leaves decent patchy lacing.

S - the aroma is actually a bit boozy with a whole bunch of hops. Grapefruit is a big standout, but it also has a subtle scent of tropical fruit. A bunch of sweet caramel malts in there as well, like a barleywine or an old ale. Pretty decent

T - first sip leaves a good grapefruit flavor that starts off complex as if it's going to bring you a bunch of tropical flavors. Sadly, as the complexity starts to show, aspirin-like bitterness slams you in waves. Hop resins slightly coat the tongue, but not as much as I've experienced in less hop-forward IPA's. A bit of a pine hop kick toward the end but fairly dominated by the bitterness. Not as boozy as I would think given that it's 12% so good job there.

M - pretty damn thick, but about what I was expecting for a "triple IPA" carbonation level is ok, but I think it could be a bit more. Resins coat the tongue slightly but the bitterness is more noticed in the back of the throat then on the tongue.

O - well, it's boundary pushing but that doesn't mean it's great. I wasn't extremely impressed here, but they did do a great job hiding the alcohol. Founders is a fantastic brewery and I am happy they do things like this. This one isn't a big hit in my book, but it wouldn't keep me from buying more offerings from a brewery if this was some new brewery and they released something like this. Have to applaud the effort.

09-21-2011 19:46:52 | More by dfclav
Avantyawn

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

two 6 ounce pours shared with a friend. Paired with sharp cheddar cheese and colemans mustard and dark pretzels.

A: Super murky amber haze. Very little head, looks sort of like dirty pond water, I am not too appetized, but more intimidated by its looks.

S: The smell is extremely potent, Dank Weed, Onions, Chives, and earthy red grapes.

T: Wow this is one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. It tastes like marijuana juice, the hop oils are intense and the finish is dry and bitter. This is what I imagine sucking on a hops lollipop would taste like. Tere is a distinct hop spice. Its hard to comment on the sweet maltiness of it as the hops totally wreck yr pallette and coat your mouth and tongue, but there is an obvious strong malt backbone to this beer. I think this extreme beer tastes wonderful and slightly frightening at the same time.

M: This is a total sipper of a beast. I am drinking it almost like a scotch , slow and intently. I like sloshing it around my mouth, especially the tip of the tongue to begin, there is so much flavor to be detected in this beer, all the flavor zones in your mouth should be affected if you move it around. I wouldn't start the evening this as you won't taste much else afterward.

O: Overall, this is a ridiculous beer. My tongue is numb, I am slightly scared, but I welcome this experience now, and will revisit at some point in the indeterminate future. This is maybe the most intense beer I have ever tried, my mouth is on fire, I feel like the Devil IS dancing on my tongue, and Why did I so this to myself? However, I highly recommend trying this beer with a friend, it is just too much beer to handle alone, metaphysically speaking.

09-21-2011 03:48:57 | More by Avantyawn
bucklemyshoe

Georgia

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Bottled: 06/02/2011. 112 IBUs!

A: It pours burnt-orange with a finger of off-white head that laces well.

S: Heavy floral hoppiness, backing caramel maltiness, and some alcohol peaking through.

T: Orange marmalade, rose water, and plenty of alcohol.

M: Thick, syrupy, and relatively low carbonation.

O: Not as hoppy as I imagined. Booze is hidden okay.

09-20-2011 22:15:12 | More by bucklemyshoe
caddybuyer

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

A-Pours a ruddy veiled crimson amber with a thin scuddy head that fades to a ring in the glass. Cool color.

S-This may be cold, but it is an odd nose...almost onion like...garlic? I am not picking up any malt here at all. Not sure about this.

T-Whew....this is a palate wrecker if there ever was one. Intense onion bitterness quickly gives way to a full bodied malt sweetness in an odd reversal of a typical flavor profile. A strange fresh fruity undertone is present throughout this. Pineapple? This is not terribly complex...just brutal.

M-Oily, rich and full....I can't imagine you can brew a TIPA any other way.

O-Great poster child for extreme beer. Better than the totally undrinkable and utterly nasty 120 minute, this is an answer to a question that I for one, did not ask. I love a great strong ale. This is fun, but good, it aint.

09-20-2011 01:16:23 | More by caddybuyer
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Caramel colored body with an off white head.

Caramel, citrus and candied fruits on the nose.

That is one BIG freaking beer. The flavor leads down the same path as the aroma. Sweet caramel malt first, grapefruit, tangerine, and vanilla. Bitterness reaches every bit of 112 IBUs, but there is very little boozy flavor given a 12% ABV. Very bitter with massive, Barleywine level malt character, but the depth of hop flavor is dissapointing given the dry hop regiment, hype, and price tag.

Full, sticky, oily body.

Drinkability is pretty low here. While the ABV is well hidden, the hop flavor doesn't make up for the intense hop bitterness. All pain and no gain. Dissapointed here, had a hard time finishing it. I guess this was more beer than I could handle.

09-19-2011 01:05:45 | More by BradLikesBrew
harrymel

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle date partially rubbed off: so unk

A: Pours a nice ruddy amber ale with less than a finger of creamy foam which dissipates to a sheet of the same. No lace.

S: Wow, this shit's dank like a mutha' fucka' (insert Sam Jackson voice over). I really can't smell anything beyond the weed notes. Jesus, this takes me back to high school. I really can't imagine a "triple IPA", but I'm convinced this is the definition.

T: Snap! Weed, lemon rinds, rosemary (burnt), body odor, onion, more weed. Goddam this is hardcore. I like it....too much.

M: Medium bodied with moderate on low carb. Man, this beer is fucking intense, I struggle to care about anything except to say, the hops are insane!!!!

O: Wowzaa! I haven't had a hop bomb like this in years. I mean, when you first start drinking IPA's and you look for the most intense oral hop rape?! Yeah, this does that....again. Fuck me rotten this is insane. I can't even tell if I like it cuz I finished so fast, which makes me want more! Like my first piece of pussy.

09-18-2011 08:43:20 | More by harrymel
forcedlaughter

I love a good DIPA (Triple IPA? Sounds gimmicky) but this thing was the most unbalanced waste of my time.

Looks fine, smells pretty good, but then it just assaults your mouth with onion and garlic and hops and alcohol...and nothing else.

This can only happen in America. I love Founders, but leave this to DFH or someone. No class, just a very poor example of a style that can be truly great.

09-15-2011 17:12:56 | More by forcedlaughter
avaldivia

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Received 12oz bottle in trade. Poured bottle into Belgian Tulip.

A: Cloudy orange color. Decent head and lacing.

S: Wow. Pine and more pine. Not much else.

T: Same. Intensely piney, and a lot of onion. Very bitter. The malt backbone is pretty non-existent.

M: Full bodied. Well carbonated.

O: Not crazy about this one. Bitter, but lacking. I just can't really get into it.

09-14-2011 07:33:34 | More by avaldivia
Jishguy

Indiana

A- Poured a cloudy, dark orange body. Thin, white, one finger head that doesn't stay around long. Very little lacing. Too be expected with 12% abv.

S- Holy Hop! Such a variety of hop aromas. Tropical fruit, citrus, honey, pine, and an earthy fragrance dominate the aroma. Bits of caramel malts poke through in the back.

T- Wonderful notes of tropical fruit, honey, citrus, and earthy hops are perfectly balanced with a malt sweetness. Not overly bitter. You barely notice the 12% abv.

M- Great. Very full and rich. Almost creamy, in fact.

09-13-2011 03:11:32 | More by Jishguy
phiberoptik

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a rather flat, slightly hazy amber. Looks like a barely wine with big bubbles around the edges.

Smells of pears, very resiny, pine needles, with hints of skunk (like marijuana skunk). A faint bit of garlic or onion as well.

Whoa.. Alcohol punch here; no surprise. more of the resiny, skunkiness in the taste. Noticeable pear and tropical fruit flavors but with a finishing heat, almost like its laced with chili peppers. The bitterness is pleasant and lingers after the taste is long gone.

Full bodied, viscous, with little carbonation. The heat of the alcohol makes up for it though.

This is bold. Tastes like it has more alcohol than it does. Glad I got to try and maybe I should have had it a bit fresher, but this tastes like it could be aged as well. If you dont like bitter, dont bother.

09-13-2011 00:19:32 | More by phiberoptik
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy copper hue with an eggshell foam head, very spongy and very tight.

S: Aroma is gratuitously hoppy with pine, floral, and subtle citrus tones. Borderline salty and even a bit earthy.

T/M: Flavor is very thick, like biting into a hop cone, I imagine. The liquid coats your mouth and leaves a warming sensation from the alcohol. It has a medium amount of carbonation and lots of woody, earthy traits. I feel like it's giving me instant heartburn. There are faint hints of caramel sweetness but seriously, everything is drowned out by the hops.

Is this bottle worth $7? In the sense that it should be consumed in moderation, yes, but for quality, no. It's more of a novelty. I'll admit, the hoppiness becomes more manageable the more it's consumed, but no beer should have this much hops in it and be serious.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

09-12-2011 00:55:29 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
shortbus7

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Beer pours an orangish red color with very little head. A thin lacing remains throughout the beer.

S: I get a ton of different smells here. Garlic and citrus fruit are very present. Pine also makes an appearance as well as marijuana. The more the I smell it the stronger the weed smell gets. I love it!

T: Tastes almost like it smells. Very hoppy initial taste with a good amount of bitterness. It has a very good earthy mid taste to it where the marijuana makes an appearance. The beer finishes very spicy with a long aftertaste. I don't get much garlic, not nearly as much as the smell offered up.

M: Medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. It has a creamy aspect that is very appropriate.

O: This is a very good beer but not one that you could drink everyday. Personally, the aftertaste lasts a little to long in my mouth and my mouth starts to feel burnt towards the end.

09-10-2011 01:21:05 | More by shortbus7
4DAloveofSTOUT

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

bottled date of 6/2011

poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Orangish amber bodied beer. White head almost a finger high after a vigorous pour. Head drops down really quickly to a small ring of white around the outside of the glass.

Smell: Mild pine, tropical fruits like a pinapple and a mango, little bit grassy and floral. Little bit of spiciness too, almost like garlic...but not really. Can't place that spicy smell. To round it all off a hint of rubbing alcohol, the only unpleasant smell in this brew. A really busy nose to say the least.

Taste: Hops forward beer with moderate bitterness. Piney and grassy first just like the nose. It has the spiciness that I smelled, but it kind of tastes like garlic and cilantro blended together. You get just a quick glance of malty backbone that is sweet and tastes like biscuits and caramel. All you taste in the aftertaste of this beer is spicy and bitter hops. Tastes boozey once it hits room temperature.

Mouthfeel: Its a beast for an Imperial IPA, the only bigger Imperial IPA I have had is DFH 120 minute IPA. Full bodied beer and low carbonation. Very syrupy, but not as much as the 120 minute IPA. I prefer an IPA that is crisp and refreshing, so this is opposite of what I prefer of the mouthfeel from this beer style.

Overall: First time I have tried a "triple IPA" according to the bottle anyways. Its an aggressive beer, living up to some of the hype. Its definately a sipper. I expected this beer to rip my toungue out from the bitterness. This beer was not like that at all. I think that I have tried other hoppy beers that seemed to have a more bitter bite than this beer. All that said, this is probably my least favorite founders beer that I have tasted. Its still worth a try for all you hopheads out there. Extra sharp cheddar cheese pairs well with this beer.

09-08-2011 04:06:02 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
Holland

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

A: pours a clear reddish orange with a decent head which settles into a decent lacing with very fine bubbles.

S: pine, garlic, and onion hit hard. They overpower the malt, sweetness, and whatever else. Smells kind of skunky.

T: garlic, pine, onion, bitterness, and skunk. Not sure if this batch went bad, but this is gross.

M: mouthfeel is fine, leaving out the rest. It has a nice malt backbone of thickness, then hits you with great carbonation for this hefty of an ale.

O: had this on tap at the brewery and it was awesome. In bottle form, this is the worst double IPA I've had. This is the only Founders beer that I have not absolutely loved. If you want a great, big DIPA, grab the Double Crooked Tree from Dark Horse.

09-08-2011 00:40:17 | More by Holland
output01x

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (Bottled On 06/02/11) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly recedes in a couple minutes to an almost nonexistent dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a hazy red amber with a good amount of tiny, energetic carbonation bubbles. Some light lacing can be seen clinging to the glass throughout consumption.

Pine and citrus hops aromas carry notes of tangerines and apricots. They are well-balanced by sweet, caramel malts with a slight alcohol heat noticeable in the background.

Sweet malts start the taste with notes of caramel, toffee, and biscuits. As soon as the beer is swallowed, pine and citrus hops take over but is well matched by a strong alcohol presence. A decent pine bitterness rests in the back of the throat as an aftertaste.

Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is very drinkable considering its body and ABV. The body is thick and coating, but is not syrupy and only slightly sticky. The carbonation is not overly apparent and could definitely stand to be a bit stronger.

09-06-2011 13:23:06 | More by output01x
AndyAvalanche

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz. bottle (bottled June 2011) poured into a Sierra Nevada Snifter Style glass. A hearty amber color with excellent clarity, I didn't expect it to be so well filtered. Small white cap, doesn't really stick around, no lacing.

Smell is wonderful. As most of this style, it's extremely hoppy. Big combination of various hops tickle your nose, floral, herbal and slight citrus. At the same time it's pretty well malted. Sort of like sweet syrup that was left on the stove and slightly burned. A slight bit of alcohol tickles your nose at the end. So basically very hoppy, with a good malt backbone and a touch of alcohol that warms your nose.

Taste is wonderful, it picks up right where the smell leaves off. Sweetness is right there to begin with, as good as any high gravity well malted beers, even heavier stouts and porters. However the hop factor comes up and comes up big. Alcohol still present, but not overbearing, 12% is not what I would have guessed. It's pretty pleasant. I've heard several people bring up the marijuana flavors...I've detected that when it's fresh, but not as much on this one that's about 3 months old.

Moutnfeel is very good. Has a lot going on and well balanced despite of everything. Sort of a weak carbonation level that makes it feel a little more like a liquor. As it warms the flavor gets stronger and stronger, pretty good. A strong bitter finish.

Devil Dancer is a really great double (or triple as the label says) IPA. Another grand slam from Founders, keep it up!

09-06-2011 01:03:42 | More by AndyAvalanche
Arenbeer

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +11%

12oz bottle into a Tulip Glass

Bottled on ?/02/11

$6.00 at Dicicco's in Brewster

A- Pours a bright dark orange that super cloudy with less than a finger white head around the glass. Splotchy lacing with some really nice alcohol legs on the side of the glass.

S- I'm really surprised at how balanced the aroma is. I expected the hops or malts to dominate but it's a pretty fairly even amount of both and blend really nicely. Super strong, dank, earthy, marijuana like pine, almost onion or garluc smelling hop that stings the nose. Caramel malts and sweetness shine through after a nice swirl around the glass with a good amount of alcohol as well. Definitely tons of summit hops here!

T- Just like the aroma but so much better. Super strong bitter brutal earthy dank hops with tons of fresh Mari J, pine, grass, and green onion that immediately dry out the mouth and slams the tongue till it's numb. Behind the hops lies a nice full body of sweet caramel toffee malts with a alcohol fullness that is hidden very nicely in the bitterness.

M- Medium to full body with moderate carbonation and a strong brutal drying finish that is extremely bitter.

Overall I was very skeptical of this one due to all the bad hype but honestly I think this stuff is pretty damn worth every penny. I understand that if someone is used to super fruity Ipa's like Exponential Hoppiness or Pliney this would probably taste bad to them. But for a guy like me when I drink a double IPA let alone a TRIPLE, I want to taste nothing but fresh greens as if I pulled the hops of the vine right there and were chewing on them. This beer delivers!

SkÅL!

09-05-2011 21:37:52 | More by Arenbeer
rye726

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. Nice looking beer. Bright amberish color and silky cream head. Nose has lots of malts and hops. But a bit boozy. As is the taste. Medium to full body well carbonated. Not bad, just too much alcohol. Really gets in the way.

09-04-2011 23:56:23 | More by rye726
jmeyers78

Poured from bottle into snifter

A - clear pale amber with a thin head that quickly dissipated.

S - hop bomb. Some faint aromas of alcohol and malt but it is quickly overwhelmed by hops. The hops were hard to pin down however. Seems like an interesting blend of hops.

T - initially a nice balance of hops and malt with a slight alcohol burn. This brew finishes with a huge bitter finish though.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Nothing out of the ordinary.

O - pretty solid beer. Definitely a sipper, not only because of the alcohol but also because of the bitterness.

09-03-2011 01:48:57 | More by jmeyers78
dnolan36

1.1/5  rDev -71.8%

Shared 2 bottles with a friend on two separate occasions.

Poured a nice golden amber into a snifter. Very attractive beer with nice head that did not hang around too long.

Smell, well this is where it went downhill for me. It smelled like a mix between mildew, old garbage and a skunk.

The taste resembles the smells listed above. It tasted like a skunk smells.

Overall I thought this beer was one of the worst beer experiences of my life. I know that it is best fresh and that the hops fade with time. However, with this one the hop pressense was still there, it just tasted awful. Not sure really why it tasted so bad.

09-02-2011 04:26:56 | More by dnolan36
AgentMunky

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in a Chimay goblet at Michael's in Charlottesville.

A: No head. Clear red-amber. Gorgeous.

S: Marijuana and hops. Alcoholic sugars.

T: Herbal, explosive, spicy hops. Astringent dry on the end. Nit even remotely balanced.

M: Drying, light carbonation. Hop bitterness.

O: If you like hops, this is a must drink. Recommended. Will have again. Stupid unbalanced.

08-29-2011 02:20:06 | More by AgentMunky
jm1229

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Big thanks to schmoopsbeer for reading through my ridiculous "wants" and including this in our trade. I've been wanting to try this.

I don't know whether or not to approve or not over the labeling this beer as a "triple IPA" because there's really no line drawn yet. Does that make PtY and Exponential Hoppiness triple IPAs? Of course this won't affect the beer's review, but just a thought.

Bottle opened on 8/27 and poured into my FW pint glass.

A- What a difference from other IPAs I've seen; this one comes out red. Like a rust color. Very cloudy. Not too much head on it, even with an aggressive pour.

S- I immediately get apricots and grapefruit, but it's slightly off. I understand the connections to garlic and onions, but I don't mind it. It smells alright to me.

T- The citrus fruits are there, but they're not leaving the booze taste. 12%? I believe it. Nice malty aftertaste. It's almost like eating a hard caramel candy as it's really sweet and present. It's not as strong as the smell would insinuate, which is a good thing. This is going to be a sipper...

M- Sticky. Full bodied with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The real downfall here is the alcohol flavor.

O- I find it better than what others are saying, but I wouldn't choose this over any other Founders beers I've had. It's very different, very strong, and damn, it would be awesome with some Cuban food with extra garlic and onions.

08-28-2011 06:14:37 | More by jm1229