Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

This is my first beer review and I must say this is quite the beer to be the first. So here we go and bear with me:

A- This is a very nice golden color. There wasn't much of a head when poured, but still got some and it was a gentle pour.

S- You can smell the hops right up from almost like grapefruit and citrus, but not overbearing that the malt flavor can come through as well. And on the end you get a slight hint of alcohol.

T- This is what made me give it the rating I did. It was so nice to drink this. I got the bitterness that I love, but it wasn't a bad bitterness and it was balance very well with the malt. You can taste a bit of alcohol on the back end, but I like this if done right.

M- At first I gave it a 5, but after drinking more my mouth started to get that bitter after taste which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This was my only dig on the mouth feel other than that I would have given it a 5, but it gets a 4.

O- Overall, this is a great beer and I can't wait to get my hands on some more. I got two and stuck one in the cellar to see what it taste like after a year. It was bottled in June so this will be nice to have on a hot summer day this coming summer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, deep amber with a thin light cream head. Bottle dated 6/2/11?

Aroma is tropical fruit, floral, pine, lemon. Bitterness evident. Kind of tea-like floral presence at times. Immediately after pouring there is some dank weed, but it fades quickly.

Upfront taste is slightly sweet citrus, tropical fruit, caramel malt. Moderate bitterness at the finish with flavors of grapefruit, caramel candy, tropical fruit, lemon, pine. Amount of bitterness at the finish fluctuates oddly. Lingering bitterness. As it warms the caramel malt sweetness takes over the upfront taste.

Medium body and syrupy with low carbonation.

Dank, thick, hoppy IPA. Interesting, but not really a fan. Fairly malty and sweet with an odd hop balance. Aroma leaves some room for improvement. Seems to change between sips--good at times but bland at others.

L: 3.5, S: 2.5, T: 3.5, F: 3.5, D: 3.5

7/19/2011
---

Pours a clear deep orange-red amber with a small cream head.

Smell is citrus hops and a little pine/resin mixed with a malty caramel sweetness. Some alcohol heat.

Resiny hops and sweet malts upfront make for a nice balance of bitter and sweet. More bitter citrus flavor comes out at the finish, backed with a solid sweet caramel malt presence.

Medium-full bodied and syrupy with light carbonation. Occasional alcohol astringency.

Very rich and flavorful, with a good balance of malt and hops/sweet and bitter. Bordering on becoming a barleywine. Good, but not something I'd drink every day.

L: 4.0, S: 4.0, T: 4.0, F: 3.5, D: 4

7/3/2010

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

Rusty red-orange with some hop haze. Little head, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Smells caramelly sweet and hugely bitter. Hops are resinous with a bit of spruce character. Very sappy smelling with a mild citrus undercurrent.

Blast of hop pungency on the onion side. Syrupy leaf hop bleeding floral notes. A little vegetal. The malt bill must be huge, yet still shadowed. Lovely caramel/vanilla coming out from the hop montage. Definitely a little hot. A cross between a DIPA and an old ale. Ages well (I've had a year and a half old bottle) I can tell, but this one is somewhat fresh tasting (over six months old).

A little cloying, but I like the feel of this one. Extreme in every sense of the word, and I like that too. Little carb but nicely creamy.

I love drinking this beer. I know it's not exceptional for the style, and I would've liked to have a more consistent hop profile than the conglomerate of varietals, but I think you gotta try this one.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%