Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Can't really read the bottling date, but it appears to be sometime in June.

A - A reddish body, slightly cloudy, thin ring and film of white head.

S - Tropical friut, pine...intensely hoppy, with some earthiness too.

T - Pine again here, some earthiness, fruity undertones, intense biting hops and probably alcohol. An intense beer, pretty good.

M - slight numbing from the alcohol, a little dry, warming on the finish, big, smoothish body.

O (D) - this is a crazy hoppy beer. It is extreme. Probably a little too busy if you want a DIPA. But I like it.

ColdPoncho, Jul 28, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11%

APPEARANCE: This is a good looking beer. More head than most DIPAs, but it dissipated rather quickly. Dark golden copper in color.

SMELL: It took me 5 or 6 sniffs before I finally took a sip. I kept my nose in the glass for a long time. A resiny pine is the dominating aroma rounded out by pleasant toffee and toasted malt smells.

TASTE: All 112 IBUs are very apparent in this beer. The bitterness is strong and remains throughout the sip, but a resiny pine dances around the edges of the tongue providing just enough balance, but never overwhelming the bitterness. Toasted malt and a slight anise flavor also makes appearances before a mild smoky flavor is left on the palate post-sip.

MOUTHFEEL: This was the one major let down for me. The carbonation was fine, but the sticky feel left on the tongue and lips became too much after just a couple sips. It was not pleasant, although, to be fair I'm not sure this beer could be done any other way.

OVERALL: I see why there are mixed feelings about this beer. It is not for everyone, but if you like surprises and aren't afraid of something a little different in your DIPA, give this one a try. It may push the bounds of a Double IPA, but it certainly still is one, a very good one.

StoneTSR, Jul 28, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Mildly hazed copper with an off-white head that clings to the glass. The head dissipates rather quickly, but leaves a touch of foam atop the beer.

Smell: Pine and citrus come through for the hops. Big nose of alcohol almost covers everything up. The malts run big to sweetness, with caramel and biscuit playing up front. The nose hits in waves. Hops, booze, and malts, in that order. I'm reminded of some barleywines.

Taste: Big blast on pine and booze pull right off the front. It's almost overwhelming. A few more sips release some of the malt flavors, caramel mostly, which provide some much needed relief from the hop/booze assault. A wider range of flavors come through as the beer warms, running from straight up citric bitterness to touches of tropical fruit. A ton of warmth from the alcohol lingers after each sip.

Mouthfeel: Borders on syrupy without crossing that line. Smooth and thick, but somehow manages to have a touch of carbonation in the mix. It's big and it's heavy.

Overall: This thing is intense. Loads of hop flavor, running the entire gamut from citrus to pine to delicate to straight up bitter. It's aggressive and never really lets up. It's the type of beer that's worth the money, but it will wreck your taste for the rest of the night, so make it worth it.

Goblinmunkey7, Jul 28, 2011

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Jsanford for sending this my way cheers Bro.

appearance: copper orange with a 1 finger head

smell: alcohol, hops, sweet, malts

taste: alcohol, citrus, pine, hops, caramel, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: very strong DIPA, I would say more like a triple. Glad I got to try it.

Cheers,l
The CPJ

THECPJ, Jul 27, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Very happy to see this on tap when I got back from vacation. I enjoy Founders very much and had never had the chance to try this one.

A: Beautiful ruby orange body. With light behind it this one shines like a gemstone. Just a fantastic looking beer.

S: Could smell this one coming off the tap. Big, pugent dank weed-like smell. (Maybe my recent trip to Haight-Ashbury is swaying me, but it had a very alcohol-pot smell). You can tell this one is going o be a trip just smell the hops.

T: Hop-bomb. Dirty bongwater. Licking lawn-mower blades. These were the terms being bandied about the tasting circle and I can not say that I disagree with any of them. Hoppy and nicely bitter, ended a little drier than I expected, but with an anticipated alcohol burn.

M: Oily and big. Flavors assault every crevice and taste-bud in the mouth. Flavor sticks around for awhile after consuming.

D: Awesome nose and flavor, but at 12% ABV can not imagine having more than a couple of the 7 oz pours. The high hop quotient was destroying my palate as well. But in small quantities, highly enjoyable. Another Founders success.

HappiestCow, Jul 26, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Well, I've had this one before, maybe a year or two ago. Has the price gotten out of hand? I bought a four pack of this stuff once. Expensive, but not crazy expensive like it is now. Anyway, I poured it into a tulip glass. Very little head. The color is very dark and itlooks pretty thick. Phew! No quite digging the aroma! Very pungent hops smell, almost oniony. Now I know what people are talking about when they complain about Gubna (although I didn't get that smell with that). Ok, I'm taking several sips before I type my comments, because the taste is evolving a little. There's still a little of the onion here, but also some strong, (regular) hops taste. Everything about this beer is strong. I really don't remember it being this in your face. This is getting better as I get used to it, but I'm glad I only got one bottle this year.

DrStiffington, Jul 26, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Triple IPA, huh? Well, at 12% it may qualify. Does that make DFH 120 Minute the first TIPA?

It is dark amber and hazy like many DIPAs out there and raises a nice head of off-white foam that has really good retention. We'll see if the haze is the usual chill haze you get from highly hopped beers...I suspect it is.

There is some serious pine action going on in the smell, but it's pretty solvent in nature. It's almost as if I could clean my floors replete with a bald man, arms crossed, looking on in approval. But there's more going on here and I believe it's from the alcohol level. It's where the solvent is coming from which led to the Mr. Clean reference. As I ponder deeper (and have read some other reviews of this one), I get a sulfuric note which has no place in beer.

If this is what a TIPA would taste like then I'm not a big fan. The level of hopping is fine and appreciated, it's the fusel alcohol notes that have me put off, but what should I expect from a 12% ale? Yet, in many high ABV beers the alcohol takes on a sherry, cognac, rum or whiskey like flavor...not so here. It just tastes like alcohol...rubbing alcohol. Malts? If you really work at that, they're there. Believe it or not they do supply a weak attempt at a sweetening balance, but they really don't stand a chance. The yeast did too good of a job converting them to C2H5OH. One might think that the yeast performed something akin to alchemy and converted some starches to sulfur as well. But after more contemplation on this one there is a smoky meatiness to it, like a nice barbecue that went unchecked. So I get the sense that we have some roasted malts trying to poke their heads out of the hoppy/alchoholic surface strata...and doing so mostly unsuccessfully, but enough to warrant a slightly higher rating in the taste element.

Yeah, this has a major "burn" from the alcohol. Perhaps the largest sense of alcohol I have ever experienced in a beer and I've had a few at 18% and above. It overshadows all the other elements, but since this is dubbed a "Triple IPA" I'm guessing that that is the point. I am so afraid to breathe too close to an open flame right now. The bitterness is pretty high as well and that remains in the aftertaste with the pine and still some of the astringency of a cleanser. Good luck getting the flavor off your tongue as the aftertaste will overpower a good dose of Colgate.

I certainly hope that the point of this beer was to produce something over the top and unable to be categorized as this is not something this all that enjoyable to drink. It reminds me of my experiences with DFH World Wide Stout. Point made! Please get back to the wonderful beers that can be palated.

Naugros, Jul 25, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

This is my first time on the dance floor with this beer. I'm expecting a ton of hops and intense bitterness, but I'm curious to see if it actually tastes GOOD or if it is a novelty brew created just to push the hop/IBU envelope. I'm drinking it from a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Amber and brown, depending on how much is in the glass. It looks like a big beer in that it has any bubble activity and head that develops is as slow as molasses. The very minimal head sticks around for a long while as a creamy top.

Aroma: Boom. I could simply say this smells like booze and hops, but there is a bit more nuance to it, although not much. The malt does enough to bring out some fruity sweetness, but the alcohol burn on the nostrils doesn't allow for this to be all that pleasant. I imagine that this is what a gas tank that has been sugared with orange and grapefruit juice would smell like.

Taste: There is a lot of citrus hop oil on this upfront. A burst of alcohol heat and malty sweetness come into play, but the linger is where this beer really attacks. While the sweetness fades, the tongue is left with a viscous mix of hot alcohol and resinous rind oil. Man does this beer lay down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Not as thick I thought it would be in body. However, it is on the heavy side of medium, which means that it is plenty heavy with the flavors in play here. I'm not sure what the ideal body would be for a beer playing with these flavors would be. In any case, it is not that drinkable. It may take a whole afternoon to drink this entire 12 oz. bottle.

Overall: This seems to be a beer made on a dare. Unlike most of Founder's brews that treat intense flavors with care and finesse, this one is an all out assault on the drinkers palette. I'm glad I tried it once. I don't think I'll ever have another Imperial IPA that packs in this big of a wallop, but that is OK by me.

soze47, Jul 24, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

7/23/2011

Bottle courtesy of OHLRangers, thanks! Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Dark orange with good clarity and a thousand bubbles feeding a beige froth that eventually settles to a thin collar. No lacing.

S: Pronounced onion and caramel with sugary notes. Pine is light, and there's a bit of bread and booze.

T: The onion flavor is monolithic, and there seems to be oregano and garlic in there as well. The alcohol is intense and scorching. Malt is reminiscent of bread and caramel.

M: Upper medium body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and smooth.

Overall: This is not for me, though I appreciate the chance to try it. Far too harsh and far too much onion.

HopHead84, Jul 24, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

On tap at Ashley's in A2. Taking a nice big whiff the aroma blew my mind. It was not only grapefruit, but loads of tropical fruit too. A sip was a wave of flavor, nice citrusy hop flavor up front with a sweet body and a bunch of hoppy bitterness, but really well balanced, almost surprisingly so. The alcohol warms the end as the flavor continues to shift through. This is an awesome beer, well done again Founder's!

zbuc919, Jul 24, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Devil Dancer, vintage January 2008 or earlier.

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours clear deep amber with thin, big-bubbled head that probably resulted more from hard pour than carbonation. The bubbles stay floating on beer. No retention. A little effervescence.

A: Smells like I've struck a vein of crystal malts: brown sugar, caramel and golden raisins. Hops are gone, leaving earth and tea. Alcohol is still present and seems to throw other aromas.

T: Yes, all the above elements have their correlates in taste, and they are intense but paradoxically mature. Sweet but not cloying.  Hops make an encore appearance on palate; however, they have fused with malt bill and taste like caramelized pineapple slices. Alcohol is definitely part of the taste of Devil Dancer, be it fresh or aged. High bitterness. Finishes with hop bitterness and caramel.

M: Big body and medium-light carbonation make this beer chewy, like Bigfoot. Obviously warming.

O: This bottle of Devil Dancer has been waiting to be unleashed for at least 42 months. It easily surpasses the 2011 vintage as far as enjoyability and drinkability go. It does, however, taste like a year-old American Barleywine, having the same taste profile and extreme hop bitterness, the latter of which I find off-putting. I'm willing to have sympathy for the Devil Dancer and let that slide.

Thanks to my old trading buddy discovolante65 for the opportunity.

Wadsey, Jul 24, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

As I start to pour the color is Damn flawless amber and blood slightly darker on top. There is no head then a nice head finally settling to a sea foam. Smells like butterscotch tropical fruits citrus burnt sugar cane and some fresh ganja. Taste is crazy the bitter is there but not overwhelming it does destroy the palate though. Hard to describe but I see where people get onion and garlic but I can't say I agree. The alcohol is obvious the pine and citrus hop are there also other American hops rolled in zesty seasoning, toast, tobacco, skunk weed and fried sugar. Then you get the turnoff of earwax and cologne. the mouthfeel is soft then it sits under the tounge heavy with bitter and the unpleasant flavors fade until the next sip. Overall not overly bitter but freakin odd.

jizfiasco, Jul 24, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured a clear deep amber/red with a thin white head that disipated quickly.

The aroma is of rich resinous hops with a light sweet maltyness and an alcoholic warmth.

The flavor is amazing with a quick malty intro the hops assault your tastebud with more of the dank, resinous hop flavor.

Mouthfeel was perfect for the style as the body was not too thick for the lingering hop bitterness.

Overall a very delicious beer. I would recommend it to anyone who really loves hops.

RenoZymurgist, Jul 23, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

A: dark orange/red almost burnt ember hues.
S: earthy, alcohol, and marijuana...only have smelled this in oskar blues' gubna imperial ipa.
T: citrus, sugar, garlic/onions (weird, I know), and alcohol
M: a little bit heavy in weight with moderate carbonation.
O: very happy I tried this yet I want to see what happens with age. Definitely want to take a second look at this one.

DrewShal9, Jul 23, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Had this out of a 12 oz bottle tonight poured into a 20 ounce snifter glass. Super excited to try this one, big fan of double ipas, so why not a triple!

A: Really beautiful color on this one. Very nice hazy burnt orange/amber hues. Very little head even with a pretty aggressive pour. The head that was there seemed to stick nicely.

S: Holy shit. That's all I have to say. I've had my fair share of strong ipas and I can honestly say I've never smelled one like this. It smells like opening a bag of dank, dank stanky weed!! Seriously though it smells like really good weed....

T: Taste pretty much lives up to nose. Really grassy and extremely hoppy. There's some strong bitterness at the end on the back of the palate but for the abv I thought it was surprisingly drinkable.

M: Really big and chewy with pretty low carbonation. Really nice overall.

O: This ones crazy. Although it may not be up everyone's alley I'd say it worth trying just because of how unique and bold it is. I personally really dug it and I highly recommend it to fans of big ipas.

Cheers to Founders for making a triple ipa!

lbower860, Jul 23, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from bottle into Ommegang chalice.

Aroma: Deep, sharp, PUNGENT hop aroma. Extremely grassy up front, transitioning to pine resin. An almost oniony pungency is present. (not like fresh cut chives, but more like a sliced onion that spent the evening in the fridge)

Appearance: 1 finger off-white head disappears quickly. Only slightly-hazy beautiful copper color.

Flavor: What I like to call "hop nectar". (similar to the profile of DFH 90") Alcohol heat appears midway through. Strong, but not unpalatable bitterness coats the tongue, and lingers for minutes afterward. Extremely hoppy, but balanced w/ alcohol and sweetness. Almost a puckering tartness on back sides of tongue. Hop flavor doesn't present itself as grapefruit, but the tart, bitter sensation definitely does.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-low CO2. Medium-to-full, slightly syrupy body. A bit drying, but not tannic to the extent that one might anticipate.

Overall: My first "triple IPA". An extremely tasty, complex IIPA. Just enough sweetness to provide a sense of balance. I can see why this one was so sought-out. Just wish availability hadn't been so limited.

mdvatab, Jul 23, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Slightly hazy, medium amber pour with some reddish hues through the light. A ring of lace and a star shaped micro bubble film ontop.

S - Very deep and intense hop aromas. Spicy alcohol soaked hops, fresh green hops, some savory hops too. A mild fruit sweetness in the nose, maybe fresh apricots or nectarines.

T - A noticably hop bitterness up front with an obvious alcohol kick (12%). Not much in the way of sweet or fresh hops mostly getting the bitter and spiced/savory flavors. No malt or fruit sweetness to balance, and the alcohol kicks the back of your throat. This hop/flavor profile is a little volatile. I knew this was up there at 12% abv and 112 ibu's but I think it needs to mellow out more. Pretty green.

M - Spicy and warming on the palate and down the throat. A dry bitter finish.

O - Well its certainly very hoppy, and I like hop monsters but this seemed unrefined. Maybe more time or another flavor note or two would do some justice.

BeerForMuscle, Jul 22, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

12oz. bottle served in a Duvel Tulip. Poured a clear amber with a finger of off white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Seemed to be bottle conditioned. Big hoppy aroma of pine, weed and onions. Lots of malt, fuller side of medium bodied. Plenty of hop bitterness to round out the sweetness. Very aggressive. More of that onion flavor which I didn't particularly enjoy. Very drying finish from the hops. Way over the top, this didn't do much for me.

homebrewhawk, Jul 22, 2011

Fresh bottle

A: Clear deep copper in color. One finger off white head. Cap that will not go away, and sticky lacing.
S: Big time dank resin hoppiness (cannabis presence). Also some tropical and citrus fruits. The carmel malts are here too but the hops dominate.
T: Tastes as smell predicted. Huge hops and a very big carmel maltiness. Long lingering bitterness.
M: Huge creamy mouthfeel, bit of booziness as it warms(expected @ 12% ABV).
O: This beer is HUGE! Huge hops and malts. I guess that why it is said to be a TRIPLE IPA! I though it was very well made.

jmich24, Jul 22, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Enjoyed on tap at the Dirty Truth. Served to me in a heavy glass chalice.

A: It's pretty hard to see, as the bar is dimly lit. Looks to have good clarity. Reddish-brown color. Big tan head with great retention. Head leaves behind just the thinnest patches of lacing.

S: Smells like it'll be a monster. Lots of bitter ripe grapefruit, very spicy, lots of tropical esters. A bit of melon and other tropical scents thrown off by the hops too. Malt is definitely perceptible. Bready and a tad sweet. Almost a rye type scent to it, but I think this is coming from a mixture of bready malts and the spiciness rather than the presence of rye itself.

T: Intense bitterness clamps down on the tongue right away. Grapefruit rind. Pineapple and other tropical esters are allowed to come to the forefront briefly. Another wave of bitterness. Lots of pine tar and resin. Malt taste is as substantial as it was in the nose. More bready than sweet. Lots of brown bread. Big alcohol taste is very spicy and almost strays off and becomes a bit solventy, though it is kept in check just enough. Big burn on the way down. Finishes dry and very bitter with tastes of grapefruit, pine tar, and a touch of brown bread.

M: Moderately thick and slick with lots of hop oils. Low carbonation, but what is there pricks at the tongue. Full and lush. Creamy. It's a Founders beer. Of course it has a good mouthfeel.

O: A beer of epic proportions. Titanic. One and done for me, due to its muscularity, but I enjoyed every sip.

Notes: Reminds me of Double Crooked Tree, but even bigger and bolder (though it actually isn't higher in abv). This is easily the biggest Double or Triple (whatever you want to call it) IPA I've ever had. Everything is in order too. The hops were not just thrown in with reckless abandon. The malt bill is a force to be reckoned with, and balances the massive hop additions nicely. Alcohol and esters add a lot of character too. Very glad to have had the opportunity to try this.

Re-visit: I just cracked a bottle with 8 months on it. The more delicate tropical hop elements are all but erased, but there's still a ton of bitterness. Very spicy and peppery. Even reminiscent of chipotle. This is one of the only beers I've ever had that could go step for step with habanero in a spicy dish.

ryan1788a5, Jul 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Pours a cloudy deep orange with a finger of head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Absolutely huge hops all around. Marijuana dominating with grassy, green bean, and citrus notes in the background.

T - Just like it smells. A punch in the face of hops, hops, and more hops. Marijuana, green beans, and just a slight hint of citrus. Finishes very bitter, and peppery from the alcohol. Could stand to be a bit more balanced, as there is not much of a malt backbone.

M - It feels like you would expect from an IPA with this much hop content. Very sticky, chewy, and resinous.

O - This is the first "triple" IPA I have had, but I would like a bit more balance in the malt department. The hot, peppery alcohol flavor is to be expected, as well as the bitterness (obviously). It lacks the toasty and citrus flavors to counter. The feel is excellent, however.

sdmvd6, Jul 21, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11%

Bottled on 6/17/2011, poured into a pint glass. Deep amber body, slightly hazy, with a good bit of orange tint. The one-finger off-white head dissipates quickly, as expected for the high abv. Bits of stickly lacing hang around for a while.

Hops, hops, and more hops in the aroma. Wow, I drank a fair amount of this last summer, but did not remember the strength of this aroma. Grass, weed, pine, and a bit of grapefruit define the hop aromas. Only a slight hint of malt in the background.

The flavor pounds the tastebuds with astringent, bitter hoppiness. Much like the aroma, plenty of grassy, piney, weedy, grapefruity hop flavors abound here. Very little malt sweetness in the balance.

Very oily hop mouthfeel and a good measure of alcohol to boot. This one delivers as advertised. Top notch, once again, from Founders.

FanofHefe, Jul 21, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottled on 06/17/2011. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a murky, deep copper color with a finger of nice, fluffy, white foam. Excellent lacing is left on the glass. It clings almost immediately after each sip and looks as if it can't even be scraped off.

Extremely pungent nose. Dank, resinous hops along with some sweet malt aromas. Some citrus and bitter notes as well. There is a huge alcohol presence throughout.

The taste starts sweet and malty, caramel-like before becoming almost overwhelmingly hoppy. There are some nice citrus notes, almost orange and mango-like but a huge, resiny, dank, piny hop flavor takes over and wipes out everything else. Hugely bitter and it lingers for what seems like an eternity.

Slick, oily and sticky mouthfeel. Bitterness grabs the tongue and takes hold. Alcohol burn comes with the first few sips but it backs off (or is drowned out) by the huge hop flavors.

This is a tough beer for me to rate. On the one hand, I did enjoy it as a whole, perhaps solely because it truely is a unique experience. But when I really had to think about each category there were definitely flaws, some of them pretty substantial. For one, at a certain point it seems like drinking more is pointless because it truely does a number on your palette. That being said, this is a beer that I wouldn't mind seeing the same vintage of down the road a bit.

ms11781, Jul 20, 2011

A: brilliantly striking bold copper. almost red. a fine and dense head doesnt have the best retention. thing rim around the side.

S: pineapple. that's legitimately the first time i've wrote that. melon. when i revisit it moves more towards a floral aroma. maybe a little bit of heat towards the finish.

T: hot, hot, hot. wow. this one needed some time. hop characteristics certainly make their way in there, citrus and a puckering bitterness. a little ganj.

M: very tingly on a very full body.

D: i like the concept, actually love it, but this really needs some more time. maybe it got too close to room temperature to let the heat shine through too much? who knows, but it feels like im drinking a fine scotch rather than a beer. very mixed feelings right now.

Jimmys, Jul 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A very beautiful copper color, with a 1 finger head right off the bat. Goes away after first drink. Definitely some lacing on this beer. Looks great in the glass!

S: THANK YOU FOUNDERS. Finally I found a beer that just hits me in the face with extreme hops. Hops, hops, and more hops. A good mix too, not overly citrus and not overly floral. Perfect.

T: Goes with the smell, a bunch of hops right up front and to the back. You get a small but good backbone of malt but a very very good hop taste to this beer.

M: Goes down pretty smooth, although you get hit with the alcohol at the end. The only reason I docked this is because the alcohol on the tongue and throat. But its 12% what you do expect.

O: HEAVEN.