Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours orangish red (not sure that's a color but that was it is), crystal clear, thick and static body. There's a half finger head with a touch of light lacing and carbonation.

A wonderful mango, citrus, and more citrus hop notes are wonderful on the nose.

Hops to start, hops in the middle, hops at the end. I think they got the message that people like hops! These hops go from citrus, piny, and even put off a bit of earth notes. The citrus American hops dominate here. The malt or maybe the yeast has a nice bit of nuttiness in the finish with just enough fruity malt flavors here to keep things in control. Think double bastard only even more hop forward and bigger.

Thick and heavy with just a touch of carbonation.

I've had this a few times, tap and bottle and it varies from place to place. This is a very great example of this beer. it isn't the best, but it is exceptional. I cannot put how wonderful this beer is. It is an odd style to consider. It is about as big as a hop forward IPA can possibly be. Any larger and the malt might get out of whack.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

I just happened to run across this beer while jokingly asking for a 120 minute. The guy came back with this saying that they were putting it on hold for a customer that took too long.

It looks great off the pour. There was quite a bit of red in it. The two finger head diminshed quickly.

The Dancer smells very good. You get pine and citrus.

The flavor is something completely different. I get a ton of hops in the mouth. There is no balance at all. Every sip is a grimace. The bitterness is over-whelming.

I am a huge fan of Founders, but I don't have to love everything they offer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Aroma is sweet some fruit and molasses. Appearance is amber translucent. Taste is sweet and alcohol. Some caramel and light hops. I was expecting more hops to come from the taste, but it was more sweet and alcohol. some clove on the taste. palate is sweet but alcoholic. Overall not my favorite but it was decent. would like it on tap in a smaller pour though. Once again thanks Chi81 for the extra.

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz bottle, purchased from a reputable bottle shop, bottle marked 6/17/11 (bottled on).

Poured into a Corsendunk Tulip

Pours a nice one finger head which, which slowly reduces to a thin cap.
Very deep amber color. Impressive ale color. Fine (very small) carbonation bubbles.

Good piney hops and malt smell when first opened but then they fade to not all that distinct. The malt takes over the aroma rather quickly, even though you still get that piney, bitter smell from the hops. This can be repeated by swirling the glass and reviving the head, but then it quickly fades again.

Mouth drying, aggressively hopped, entry on the palate, followed by rich malt, lots of bitterness. Very full mouth feel with a medium sweetness and fine carbonation.

Long bitter finish.

Overall this was a very unusual experience. Not sure what to think about this ale.
It is very full bodied and aggressively flavored, but what are the flavors and smells? Nothing really comes forward to be identified in a meaningful way. I know I am being vague here but then that is the perception this ale gives, one of vagueness.

After the first brief hit of aroma the hops are neither piney nor citrusy, just bitter smelling. The malt is present but rather overpowered by the bitterness. In no way could it be stated that this is a balanced ale and you can detect the ABV, which for me and my “big brew” tastes is highly unusual.

Because of the brewery and the other ales I have had (all excellent) I had tried hard to purchase an entire case of this, but was only able to buy two bottles. Lucky for me, as it turned out, considering the cost, and over the top nature of this brew.

Considering the 12% ABV and the 112 IBU’s I do not believe that this ale was too old. I also know the owner of the bottle shop and he is very aware of how to store and care for beer.

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into Sam Adams glass.

I've kept this beer in my fridge for about two months, maybe a bit more. I poured it and noticed the reddish orange color with a white foam head. It dissipated in about a minute after I reached the couch.

I began to smell it before I tasted it, and it smelled like a friends apartment. I began to read reviews and realized what that smell was. I received a vague smell of marijuana.

Devil Dancer was very strong in bitterness and taste, I wouldn't rate it horrible. Just a little bit strong for my taste. The aftertaste was harsh, but it didn't leave my mouth dry.

I wouldn't be against giving this beer a second chance though, maybe I should have left it in the fridge for another 6 months.

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

12oz poured into a tall tulip glass

A: One finger of thick white head atop an amber beer - quite dark for a DIPA. Retention and lacing are quite nice.

S: All hops. Almost indiscernible hop bitterness - maybe a bit of tropical fruit. A bit odd. I can get some sweetness as it warms.

T: Like drinking alcoholic hop extract. This is really, really bitter. It completely dries my mouth out. This is far, far too hoppy. I get toffee sweetness as it warms. I've certainly had worse, but this is not very good. The flavor I do get is a bit odd.

M: A bit thick for the style, but not bad.

O: This beer is too hoppy. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is appropriately hopped. It lingers in your mouth for a long time. The hop flavor it does have is not very good.

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beer-y copper with a white head, small bubbles. Received as part of a reddit beer trade.

Nose- wow. This is pot. Seriously. As in all my pothead friends would lust over this beer. Skunk with malt on the back end.

A bit of sweet malt on the front of the taste, dry citrus and pine hop on the back. I also feel like I just ate a bud. bleh.

I'm not really a fan of marijuana or its associated smell/taste, but I can appreciate that it has been so well thrown into this beer. Also, how can you hate any 12% beer?

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe glass.

A. Pours 1 finger head. Thick lacing. Very good retention. Permanent collar of head. Color is dark amber.

S. Thick resiny hops, alcohol, sweet malt. Has some brown sugar, caramel that lies beneath the onslaught of hops.

T. Tastes like drinking liquid hops. Overwhelming bitterness. Has a solid malt base to stand up to all the hops that gives it some caramel sweetness. Not really a whole lot of hop flavor to be honest. Alcohol heat is present but is actually masked by the bitterness. This is probably the biggest of the big boys.

M. Full bodied. Mouth coating bitterness. Feel bitterness all over your tongue.

O. Probably the most bitter beer I have ever had. This is a hop bomb if there ever was one. If you like hoppy and I mean really hoppy beers it doesnt get much better than this. This is definitely not a beer for the faint of heart, or probably most people, but it works for me. A unique beer for sure. What can I say it has me hooked.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a hazy orange with little head that has practically no retention. Smell is a powerful combination of orange and hops. The upfront taste is dominated by a fruity citrus blast followed by a tongue twisting assault of hop goodness. The sweet alcohol finish is a bit of a downer, however. I'd classify this one as a noble effort by a great brewery, but I'll take a super hoppy DIPA over this TIPA anytime.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

A- it has a medium color, sort of redish

S- has a VERY strong smell of earthy, pungent, killer bud, lol. If you have never smelled marijuana, then get yourself a pint of this, because it is dead on. You will either love or hate the smell, I love it.

T- the strong marijuana flavor isn't quite as strong but still there and tastes exactly like what a really good Double IPA should taste like. Very hopy, pretty bitter, some nice citrus sweetness to it, perfect, and very very strong.

M- medium mouthfeel, nothing to heavy or light.

O- a really really good Imperial Double IPA that is very strong and will knock you on your ass. Has a very love/hate smell, but the taste is amazing and very balanced for a Double IPA. I'm not the biggest fan of IPA's and I love this beer. Had it on tap at Founders and in a bottle and both times it was fantastic. One of my favorite all time IPA's.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed on10/4/11

Clear amber colored, one finger white head, dissipates quickly but leaves nice lacing
Strong resinous hop aromas and alcohol
Sweet malt followed by strong resinous/pine hop bitterness, a little nutty as well
Medium bodied, very bitter coates the mouth, and warms the pipes, leaves a strong soapy like aftertaste.
Looks good and smells good, tastes pretty good but the alcohol is very in your face all the way through, love hops but this one leaves a bad aftertaste, not my favorite founders brew

1.45/5  rDev -62.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a murky red, with a thick head.

The aroma is of marijuana: pungent, musky, earthy, and fungal. The aroma is strong, and potent. If someone decided to make a pot beer, this is what it would smell like.

The taste is obliterated by the aroma. It's strong, pungent, vaguely unpleasant, and I can't pick out any specifics because the smell is completely clouding my taste perception. The whole time, I'm thinking "is this what a pot beer tastes like?" Regardless, this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.

Overall, I think this beer is terrible. It smells like weed, it tastes vaguely foul, kind of how I imagine a pot beer would taste. My taste buds are generally in-sync with the Founders brewers, and I tend to really like their beer, but this brew is awful. I'm going to cellar the other bottle and hope that age managed to work some miracle and redeem this concoction.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

so I picked up a bottle of this about 6 months ago, and then realized it was from last year's bottling. So I waited and then picked up this year's release to drink side-by-side for comparison.
bottled stamped 5/17/10, and I think 6/13/11, but it's smeared.

The score entered here will be from the fresh 2011 bottle, as the brewer intended.

2011- 4/4/3.5/4/3.5
Appears a dark copper color, with red highlights, thin cream colored head. wow! it smells like the parking lot before a Phish concert. underneath the weed aroma is a bit of orange and grapefruit. huge and complex aroma that you can't get by. taste is a punch in the mouth too. overload of hops of all varieties - earthy to juicy citrus. but it's too much. lower carbonation, sticky and coats the mouth. works for the beer. the alcohol is actually well hidden, but the insane hops have killed my taste buds.

2010 - 4/4/4.5/4/4
same appearance as the 2011. smell is more subdued, smells just like a well hopped barleywine. sugary caramel with piney hops. taste is much more balanced and enjoyable. heavy malt sweetness balanced with just the right amount of hops. it improved greatly in my opinion. mouthfeel hasn't changed much.

overall- the fresh is definitely a unique experience you need to have. but the year old I think is actually more enjoyable and tasty. after drinking both, I'm ready for a nap.

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

A- Pours a nice copper color with a 1 finger off whet head. Has sticky lacing

S- HOPS , HOPS ,HOPS is what i smell. also smell some caramel and alcohol.

T-WOW this is an ambush of hops. so bitter and hoppy.This isn't a gross tasting beer. it has good flavors hidden somewhere under ALL THE HOPS i know it. but really all you can fast is hops

M-Has a medium body and good carbonation

D-Overall this beer is undrinkable. I took 6 drinks or so and poured the rest out. It wasn't bad tasting. it was just an assault on the mouth. I think some hop heads would love this. I love DIPA's but man this is too super duper hoppy for me. Give it a try and see if it kicks you in the face like it did to me

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

I am not a hop head. I do not like the kick you in the mouth bitterness or hoppiness. I can only think of a handful of IPA's that I would try a second time, and this is one of them. I sampled this beer for the first time at the brewery on tap just after a tour. I picked up a four pack and drank two recently with the intention of aging two for a year.

I found this beer very smooth and balanced without the floral aftertaste or bitterness that I find off-putting of IPA's. This is a sipper from a snifter, hidden alcohol.

2.65/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Copper with a half finger white head.

S: Fresh pine.

T: Briefly sweet with a huge dose of piney bitter hops that stick on the tongue long after drinking.

M: A bit thick and syrup like with medium carbonation.

O: I'm not really surprised since it's a triple IPA, but the bitter hops really overpower everything in this beer. Glad I tried it, but it's not my style.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

2010 Vintage

A- Little head. Cloudy/murky copper brown in color. No lacing but leaves nice alcohol legs.

S- Boozy caramel smell. Barleywine-esque.

T- Follows the nose. Booze is all but overwhelming. Hops are there but muted.

M- Thick mouthfeel. Medium to medium-low carbonation.

D/O- Normally I'm a fan of boozy beers but this took it to another level and the rest of the flavors were sort of lost as such. Definitely would try again in the future, perhaps a fresher bottle, but would not go out of my way to seek out.

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Thanks to Shane for splitting this one with me. Been wanting to try it for a while.

A: Pours a hazy dark orange color with no head and a little bit of lacing.

S: Lots of malt and alcohol with some very faint hop and citrus presence. Some caramel and toffee, as well as a bid of doughy bread. Was expecting more of a hop explosion.

T: A bit harsh from the alcohol. There is a lot of toffee and caramel, and very little hop presence - no pine or citrus really to speak of.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit on the syrupy side.

O: Disappointing, probably the first beer from Founders that I haven't at least enjoyed. Usually their beers are right up my ally, but this one misses the mark.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

From a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Illegible bottle date but the guy at the store said it was fresh.
Pours a copper color with about a finger of off white head. Looks similar to the many pumpkin beers I've been drinking lately. Left some sticky lacing.

As soon as I popped open the bottle the smell of hops ambushed my nose. Underneath of the huge hops there is a sweet caramel malt backbone. Alcohol is noticeable. Definitely smells like a big beer.

Taste is pretty similar to the smell.Piney hops up front followed by sweet caramel malt. It finishes dry and bitter. The after taste sticks around for quite a while.

A medium amount of carbonation helps break up the astringency and bittness.
Took me a while to finish this one.
Its one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had for sure. Definitely a must try for a hophead.

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Another junior high school chemistry experiment. It does have a lot of rich malt and plenty of sugar. Unidentifiable fruit going bad is next. Then the hops start in. Quite a bewildering smorgasbord of hop flavors but the bitterness prevents any real tasting. Very acidic. Aftertaste is like canned grapefruit juice left in the refrigerator. Woody, teeth-on-edge harshness. Orange amber color is fine.

I just don't see the point in this exercise. Seems like a waste of so many hops, but let's support our farmers.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Pours hazy amber-copper with a small tan head. The head fades slowly to a thin remnant and leaves a small amount of fine lace. On the nose, there are huge notes of grapefruit and citrus peel, along with funk, caramel, pepper, grain and a touch of pine. The flavor is moderately sweet with intensely bitter hops. Dominant notes in the flavor are citrus peel, toasty caramel malts, resin and pine. The finish is long and bitter with resiny hops. On the palate, it is medium in body with a smooth, syrupy texture and soft carbonation. Overall, this is a great triple IPA.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

Pours a dark golden reddish color. Has a small head that diminishes to a chunky film on top of the beer. Appears to have low carbonation. Laces fairly nicely.

Wow this has a complex aroma. There are so many things going on in there. Lots of herb/floral aromas mixed in there with some citrus. People were right when they said there was a little bit of garlic and onion in there. Has a sort of stale peanut aroma to it as well. I'm assuming these all come from varieties of hops, of which I am more unfamiliar with. Sweet malt is hidden by the hop complexities. This is a big bold beer. For that I commend it, but some of those aromas are a little off putting.

Never tasted anything like this before. Bitter, citrus hops hit you in the face right away, but it doesn't linger around long. The oniony/stale peanuttiness/weird herbs that I got in the aroma comes through strong here. I think this flavor will stay in my mouth longer than actual onions do. I can tell there is some sweet malt in there, but the hops flavors just dominate so much. As it warms up there is a little bit more bitterness.

Pretty full beer and low carbonation, exactly what I enjoy for this style. Definitely want to take it easy and sip this beer over at least an hour. This is definitely a sipper.

Overall, this is an incredibly complex beer that runs the gamut on a large variety of aromas and taste. Bitter, but not as much as I was expecting. Wish I didn't have to score this one, its so different from anything else. Onion flavors were just as appealing as they were repulsing, as weird as that sounds. While this may not be my favorite beer, I applaud Founders for doing something different. Will probably sip on this for the next 1 1/2 hours or so and see how it changes as it warms.

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Disclaimer: This bottle is about 3 months old.

A: Poured into my SN XXX glass, this brew pours hellish orange with a red tint. The orange cream head simply settles to a ring. The color is fair, but the lack of head is disappointing.

S: The aroma smells like raw hops, heavy caramel malt, and a nice boozy sting.

T: The flavor of this beer at three months of age is similar to a high quality barley wine. This brew has a nice hop bit on this finish, however, any detail in the flavors of the hops are skewed by the intense caramel malt in this beer. Nice flavors of toffee and dark fruit.

MF: Mouthfeel is full, but is lacking a full carbonation.

Overall, this is a great beer. Not a "triple IPA" at this point, but closer to a barley wine, and an damn good one. Thanks again to Chris and Matt Capone for this brew.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance - Lots of lacing, a nice copper tone to the body. This guy looks good.

Smell - A very strong mixture of citrus hops and malt. The smell is inredibly complex.

Taste - Extremely bitter with a nice malty after taste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and sticky. The alcohol content is quite noticable.

Overall - This is an impressive exercise in brewing, but that's about it. It's an all around good beer, but nothing spectacular.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

12 oz bottle. Bottling date is unreadable.

Penny copper body. Tiny, tan tinged head that doesn't leave much covering. Some lacing on the glass.

Peach, mango, papaya and some skunk weed on the nose. Light spicing. Lots of sweet caramel candy. Over all sweet smelling on the nose.

An all out hop assault. Some tropical fruit sweetness leads to an intense pine and floral bitterness. Pepper and some caramel and biscuit malts. These are immediately beaten down by an extreme bitterness that completely dries out the mouth and leaves some burning alcohol flavors in the mouth.

Balance is nowhere to be seen. I know that I should probably ding this beer for that, but the bitterness compels me to keep drinking it. It just destroys your mouth, and leaves you wanting more. As a Triple IPA should. Very good.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company