Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

good

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to Jeonseh for this gem.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Smokestack Goblet. Poured a silky, chocolate brown, with almost an oily texture. There was no head whatsoever. I actually thought that I had a flat beer with the carbonation was present in the mouthfeel. I poured it rather aggressively and all I could get was a handful of small white bubbles. Smell is huge. There is a huge hop bouquet with sweet malts following quickly. Also notes of raisins and chocolate. The taste of the beer is hops. It's just huge. Probably one of the hopiest beers I have ever had. It is also one of the most acidic beers I have ever drank also. It's hard to drink because of its acidity. Mouthfeel is good. More like a barleywine then a DIPA. It's really had to drink. If the acidity would be turned down then the beer would be much easier to drink.

hwwty4, Mar 31, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Served at cellar temperature. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Deep red/crimson color. Transparent with no cloudy notes. Slightly off-white head ~ 1.2 inch high. Although the head appeared quite thick, it dissipated rather quickly (< 2 minutes).

Smell: Slightly piney hop scent that you might expect for an imperial IPA style. I don't smell the citrus/grapefruit that is typical for the style. A touch of alcohol on the nose as well. A distinct malty scents is also present along with a touch of dried fruit and raisin. Very complex but pleasant. Honestly, the balance is more akin to an American style barleywine than an IPA.

Taste: Rich and full. There's a huge malt presence in this beer, but the hops blend nicely over the top and just slightly overshadow the malt. The hops show both pine and citrus flavor. Very nice. There's no doubt that this beer is "hot" on the tongue, but at the same time...13% ABV is well hidden. Again, there's a good deal of complexity here, even within the hop flavor...definitelya number of different hops in this beer and definitely a significant amountof dryhopping.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Lightl carbonated. The beer is thick...almost syrupy. It sticks to and coats your mouth. There is a lingering hop bitterness typical of IPA style beers.

Drinkability: This is a big,big beer...no doubt about that. The alcohol doesn't shine through, but I wouldn't suggest more than one in a sitting. It's a nice beer to kick back and enjoy over time.

-Kevin.

F2brewers, Mar 30, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +20%

The beer pours a rusted orange/amber hue with a thin tan head. There is no lacing to speak of during the beer. The nose on this beer is about as complex as you will find in a beer. I think this smells more like a barleywine than an IIPA. The heaviest scents include the very rich maltiness with heavy tropical fruit, resinous pine, and sweet caramel. There is also a cognac like booze smell coming from this beer. Each time I put my nose into it I get something new! The nose is really well done on this one. The flavor profile is equally as intense. For an IIPA the taste is more malt based on this beer. The malt is the heavy hitter here with flavors of caramel and brown sugar and rum soaked raisins. The hop profile comes in after a few seconds but plays second to the malt profile. The hop profile tastes of fresh grapefruit rind and sticky pine. There is some sharp alcohol flavor as well, but in no ways takes away from this beer but adds another unique quality to this beer. This beer will challenge your palate. I don't think this beer crosses the "boozy" line on the mouthfeel, but I personally don't mind the alcohol on the mouthfeel. This beer is full-bodied and has a velvety texture. I will stop praising this beer when it comes to drinkability though. At 13% you wouldn't last very long with many of these. I had one 12 ounce bottle and that was enough for me for a while.

TheodorHerzl, Mar 29, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

1 year Aged bottle shared by gueuzelover. Thanks!

Dark caramel to maroon color. Very light beige head. Smell is mellow, malty and creamy with perhaps a bit of vanilla. Taste is dark and malty, but hopped only to balance, I found after the year of age took its toll. Somewhat well hidden alcohol for 13% and drank more like a barley wine than an extremely overhopped beer. Lingering dull earthy hop flavor and some alcohol in the background. I thougt this was ok, but not fantastic.

JDV, Mar 26, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

12oz bottle poured into my Duvel tulip. Thanks to czoch75!

A: Pours a murky crimson-amber with a thin tan head that dissipates fast. There's a little carbonation, not much, though.

S: Pine hops, sweet malts, alcohol, hints of fruit - raisins?. Alcohol. Call me nuts but I'm getting just a wee bit of cream on the nose. Intriguing.

T: An amalgamation of piney hops and caramel malt. Not as hoppy as the nose would suggest. The alcohol comes through in the finish.

M: Full bodied and relatively sweet on the finish. Smooth on the tongue.

D: Dangerously drinkable for the ABV.

This one's a treat. Try it.
4/4/4/4/4

**Edit 30 June 2012**
A little over 4 years to the day since the last time I had this beer, I get to revisit it. 4+ year old bottle, received ages ago from czoch75.

Smells sickly sweet with caramel, brown sugar and pancake syrup with some pine notes. Very barleywine-like, and the alcohol is surprisingly well-hidden. The palate open with a full-on assault of aggressive, astringent crystal malt with a moderate pine bitterness with very little hop flavor left. Just not very pleasant, though, especially due to the astringency. Full in body, sweet with a ton of crystal malt, caramel and a little bit of a stale hop bitterness. Unlike a nice barleywine, there's no toffee/leather/tobacco flavors here, but it does have the sweetness. On the bright side, alcohol is well-hidden. Very much meh.
4/3/2.5/2.5/2.5

DefenCorps, Mar 26, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Orangey/Amber... little to no head to speak of. Slight lacing.

S - Love the hoppiness, but not digging the intense malts. Reminds me more of a barleywine than the listed "triple" IPA.

T - Pretty complex and alcohol only noted in the tummy. Complex hops ride a malty wave right down, with a slight burn on the finish. Tasty, but a little too overdone. Mostly fruity, citric overtones with a sweet malt undertone. Resinous and leaves a great coating.

M - Syrupy and thick. Medium carbonation.

D - It's pretty heavy and high in alcohol. A sipper. I'll drink this one and probably not revisit this until next years batch.

SaucyA, Mar 24, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance: Pours a rich amber-red color with a ton of hop haze; definitely not the palest India Pale Ale around. An inch of head forms from a gentle pour and then quickly recedes.

Smell: Huge pine and grapefruit with an equally large malt character to support the hops. Fruit punch and caramel come out as the beer warms. No noticeable alcohol.

Taste: Extremely bold, resiny and sweet; equally balanced between malts and hops. Mango and grapefruit, lemon rind and caramel. Incredibly intense, but fairly drinkable (albeit slowly). Alcohol is barely noticed between the massive hop bitterness and the malty sweetness. Resiny bitterness completely consumes the palate in the finish, relentlessly attacking the roof of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, oily and thick, bordering on downright syrupy. Moderate carbonation keeps this one lively and somewhat drinkable.

A decent DIPA, but too heavy on the malt for my liking. Actually, just too heavy in general; this beer has no finesse.

largadeer, Mar 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +11%

A: Dark red/amber with a thin tan head that quickly fades.

S: Blast of pine and grapefruit hop flavors. Not much malt in the nose. Bit of alcohol shines through.

T: Lots of hop bitterness. Lots of pine and grapefruit... Healthy amount of malts attempting to balance this monstrosity. Alcohol taste is apparent.

M: Full bodied. Slightly syrupy.

D: Just too much alcohol for this to be anything more than a sipper. But it is a damn good sipper.

callmemickey, Mar 22, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

This is literally a tale of two brews..

Poured out a brackish brownish thick viscous syrup with no head at all..

When this brew was cold, a sweet malty aroma wafted out of this but as it warmed, the hops really began to shine through along with lots of booze..

Extremely sweet and malty in the beginning and I was wondering where the hops had gotten to, but as it warmed up, those hops really came through and saved this one.

This was a weird one for me. I loved the taste but was expecting something different, hoppier I guess. Still a good brew.

Tilley4, Mar 21, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

First off let me say that I love IPAs and this beer scared me.

Pour= Redish brown color with very little head disappearing into very little to no head.

Smell= Hops and syrup. Grapefruit and alc.

Mouth= thick syrup and bite.

Taste= Hops Hops Hops and more hops

Drinkability= Very drinkable. Nowonder they sell it in a four pack and not a six, six would kill you.

I highly recommend for IPA lovers!

FishHeadLover, Mar 21, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

A: pours a dark reddish/brown with a 1 fingered, viscous light tan head that struggles to stay formed. the head drops to a modest covering within minutes. devil dancer appears to be a malty IIPA, which is much to my liking.

S: Piney/Grapfruit hops hit me right away, with an underlying whiff of alcohol. I am not smelling any malt, which seems so pronounced in the appearance.

T: Strong hop bitterness, a dead heat between the pine, and the grapefruit that was picked up in the aroma. sweet malt flavor is very noticeable too, however, and it comes across as a great balance between the two. I don't notice too much of an alcohol taste, but I can still smell it strongly. Also picking up a rich fruitiness, which I attribute to the yeast strain(s).

M: Creamy, thick, and oily, but all in a fantastic balance. This is a full bodied beauty .

O: This is a big beer that doesn't feel the need to rely on over-doing one aspect of it's own style. I don't feel this is a hop-bomb at all. A well balanced, quaffable IIPA that could only disappoint serious hop heads. This is sure to be one of my new favorite seasonals.

dancinwillie, Mar 20, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Sampled on 3-19-08

Pours a deep and slightly hazy red/orange, with a nicely thick tan head that leaves huge, glass-covering lacing.

Smell is all hop resin, super thick and fruity. Just a hint of alcohol adds a huge intensity.

Taste is like liquid hops. The bitterness is so extreme you can actually "feel" it on your lips. But, there is a sizable malt presence to keep it somewhat in check. The alcohol adds a tart finish, but is otherwise well masked.

Mouthfeel is great, super thick and syrupy.

Drinkability isn't bad, but the bitterness and alcohol are absolutely insane.

Overall the most extreme IPA I've ever had. Nothing else is even close. Founder's describes it as a "Triple IPA", and they are dead-on.

BMoney575, Mar 20, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter
Purchased 5/07, has been cellaring for the past 10 months

A - Pours a ruby colored brown/orange mixture with a slight light tan head. Lacing is nice but minimal when it does develop. Darker and redder than many Double/Imperial IPAs.

S - Scent is caramelized sugar with some strong pine and grapefruit citrus flavor. Malt is as powerful a scent as the hops, showing how this beer has aged. A bit of a woody flavor is detected.

T - I'm guessing the hops have mellowed a bit in this beer, but I've never really had a fresh version. Instead of a smack of intense bittering hops you get a nicely alcoholic, woody and sweet malt flavor with a good dose of tart citrus flavor. Not all that different from am American barleywine. The aftertaste is still very bitter, but the malt flavor is stronger than expected. Piney hop flavor starts coming through strong as this beer warms. The alcohol is adequately disguised for a 13% beer.

M - Moderate carbonation with a medium body. Oily hop flavor on the tongue. Aftertaste is very drying.

D - Strong alcohol that is only slightly perceived in the taste. Not my favorite beer for aging, but interesting nonetheless.

The other day I read in the forums that someone compared a certain aged DIPA to a barleywine, and now I totally understand that comparison. The sweet, complex malt bill has pushed forward onto your palate while the tastebud killing hops have retreated. Anyhow, I don't love barleywines so this aged version isn't my favorite. It is interesting though, and if the hops are too strong in Devil Dancer for you initially, I'd consider aging it for a couple months or more.

gmcfarre, Mar 20, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle poured into my Sam Adams new crazy pint glass thing

A: Pours a clear, burnt amber copper, like a deeper version on a the flesh of a blood orange, with a one inch creamy sandy white head. The head disappera into rings in a few but I was suprised it stayed that long considering the ABV, there is also substantial lacing left behind as well. If the head lasted a while longer and the lacing were a bit thicker I'd give this one a 5 for sure, the color is enough to bowl me over.

S: I feel like this thing is only hinting at the booziness in store for me as I can't really pick up any fusel alcohol in the nose, there is however a strong and oily pine kick to the nostrils, the mixes with a super citrus acidity that keeps the sweetness I'm picking up here from becoming cloying, a bit medicinal in character but not so much so to be distracting or unappetizing for that matter.

T/MF: WOW, this beer is INTENSE. I can understand why people want to call this one a barlywine because I was shocked by how sweet this one tastes. Though it seems like this is what happens why the ABV on these IIPAs gets this high, because the same seems to be said abouot the DHF 120min IPA and something I sort of remeber in Avery's Maharaja. All that being said I don't find this sweetness off putting in anyway it just does not seem to fit in that super hoppy character that defines IIPAs. The mouthfeel is smooth and slick initally with very slight carbonation and intense oily hopiness. Damn is this beer indulgent, there is a wonderful alcoholic heat to this beer that is not refreshing in any sense of the word, but is instead exhilerating, something to behold. It is very exciting to drink this as flavors of sweet almost overly ripe mellon, pineapple and sweet mango grab hold of your tongue and won't let go until an alcholoic heat overwhelms them and sort of takes over the beer until the slick finish.

D: Very big beer and as a result a beer that takes time to drink, though as it warms its sweetness borders along cloying and you get really full from drinking 12oz of it, not to mentioned a bit buzzed, still enjoyable and still a must try for any hophead.

bluemoonswoon, Mar 19, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep brown, smallish head, low carbonation, & a good amount of oily lacing.

Sweet caramel, vanilla malt mixed with a decent citrus hop aroma. Brown sugar, molasses notes added to the bit of honey aroma.

Very sweet on the palate and silky on the tounge. Initial taste is a sweet, earthy maltiness followed with a building hopppy bitterness. The high IBU reveals itself at the end leaving a lasting tanginess in the mouth. I could feel the alcohol more in the stomach then the mouth or throat.

This one certainly reminds me of a barleywine or strong ale, more so then an IIPA; though it does state it's a Triple IPA (which would be my first). I really enjoyed the beer but I must admit that I was expecting more of a hop bomb. Pace yourself, packs a nice punch.

jdoncbus, Mar 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Split a bottle with a few friends. While the alcohol is very well hidden, it's reasonably thick considering the 13% alcohol. The nose was all fruity citrus hops - like big-time fruit punch with orange and grapefruit leading the charge. The flavors offers more juicy hops along with a sweet malt backbone. It finishes with a decent bitterness and a more herbal hop aftertaste. Frankly I'm not surprised this isn't more bitter, I think there's just too much malt for this to really whack your palate. Still a tasty and fun beer that I'm glad I tried.

tempest, Mar 16, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

My 100th Review!!! Cheers!

Pours a rich brown with a nice hoppy smell. No head comes from this beer. I pours semi-hard too.

The taste is very creamy and hoppy. Its pretty decent. I dont know if its cold enough though. I like this beer but something is missing.

Overall, its a good brew with a nice alcohol content. I would get it again but its a little pricey. I MIGHT get this again.

iconoklaztor, Mar 15, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +21%

Appears to be dark amber with little head

Citrus, citrus, citrus--Awesome.

Grapefruit right away followed by a semi-sweetness, and followed by a mellow grapefruit bite.

THICK! This one took about an hour to get through. Balance gets even better near end (proablay from temperature and my mouth adjusting to the extreme hop count)

High ABV, and defineately a closer type of beer, but could probably drink 2 of these in a typical evening (over a couple of hours).

Founders has yet to disapoint this guy.

twokansamm, Mar 11, 2008
3.9/5  rDev 0%

From a bottle of the 2008 Devil Dancer poured into my Bell's Tulips glass.

A - An amber color with a definite reddish hue that actually seems to remind me of the color of the bottle's label. Mildly opaque with a slight amount of carbonation that sat on top. A small head formed on top and did not last at all as only a few bubbles sat on the top.

S - smell is much sweeter than I ever expected. Get a strong shot of toffee in there mixed in with some of mango. Only get a slight hint of a piney hops coming forward from that one.

T - Hmm this is actually a really sweet brew as it seems the malt behind it seems to be there a lot more than the hops. Get a sweet syrupy, toffee taste that initially sits in there and only at the end do i get any of the piney hops that I expected from a beer that claims to be a Triple IPA. In the sweet aspect there also seems to be a hint of a shortbread cookie as well and also a hint of a banana. Even in the end don't get any of the puckering hops that I was hoping to get. have to say though that the sweetness does a great job of hiding the high alcohol which could make this drinkable.

MF - a big old thick beer that comes in strong and just coats all over the tongue. Seems to be on the verge of actually being too thick and there is also a slight syrupy aspect to this one as well. There is barely any carbonation at all in this one as it only seems to come up a bit at the end.

D- hmm not really as in your face as I expected. Overall thought this was a hoppy BW than an actual DIPA and much sweeter than I ever would have expected. Really seems a bit unbalanced on the sweet side which just seems out of place for something that claims to be a triple IPA. this is the first Founder's beer that I've had outside of the Breakfast stout and KBS and while it is good, the sweetness get to me after awhile. Wish there was a bit more hops to balance it out.

jeonseh, Mar 11, 2008
3.9/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep coppery red color with a thin cream colored head. The bubbles have to fight through the body of this baby to get to the top.

Pineapple, peach, and grapefruit all resound in a juiced up hoppy nose, sugary, but with plenty of bite. Resinous hops linger, adding a course grainy scent and some stale funk in the back. Malt and alcohol kind of mingle in equal doses, very hidden in the big hop smells.

Hop flavors encompass the breadth of all that hops have to offer, from citrus fruit and juice to intensely resinous and coarse. Malt serves to add some depth of flavor, but with little identity on its own. Dry bitterness at the finish rises slowly and coats the back of the tongue in sticky resin. I've always balked at the term 'horse blanket' to describe beer, but it's in there too with some hay and stank. Lots of alcohol flavor and heat.

Feel is full. Too dry to be syrupy, but close in texture - sticky and big. Some moderate carbonation attempts to perk it up, but struggles against the body. I can't seem to peel the resin away from my palate.

As much as I love huge IPAs, this one suffers in drinkability. Not only is the malt somewhat out of balance, the hops themselves don't all agree within the profile, with the alcohol throwing things in an even more intense direction. For all the negatives of this beer, I'm finding myself hooked on it.

lightindarkness, Mar 09, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

I had this one in the bottle about a year or so ago when it was fresh. I thought I was going to love it back then, but was disappointed. I just had a fresh bottle again tonight (which I just picked up in Chicago), and I was still disappointed. In contrast, I also just had DD on tap at the Maproom in Chicago and thought it was incredible. The tap version is quite malty, but with a strong blast of fresh hop aroma and hop flavor along with a sizable bitterness. I would call it a "clean, hoppy, malty, American barleywine" instead of some sort of IPA, but whatever you call it...it was fantastic. In fact, I liked it so much, I had a second snifter of it. On the other hand, the bottled version seems to have a fairly complex fruity/malty flavor along with an adequate bitterness, but the hop flavor and aroma are severely lacking compared to the tap version. The bottled version also has a strong dirtiness to it as well which wasn't in the tap version. The bottled version (even though it was fresh) tastes very much like it's been aged for many months. It appears that Founders is one of many breweries where the bottled beers taste significantly different/inferior to the tap versions. I like the Founders beers I've had quite a lot, but to taste them at their best, it seems you need to have them on tap. My review of DD is based on the superior tap version.

ohmybock, Mar 07, 2008

On-tap poured into a snifter glass.

A- It poured a deep amber red, with a thin lace and very light carbonation.

S- Intially really hoppy. It had lots of citrus and floral notes that allowed more sweet malts to come through as it warmed. By the end, it was a lot more balanced.

T- Like the aroma, it was initially full of grapefruit hop flavor. As the beer warmed, there were more notable sweet malts to balance the bitter flavors. The alcohol wasn't overwhelming, but it wasn't really masked either.

M- The feel was decently thick. There wasn't a lot of carbonation, but the hops added a bit of a bite.

D- It was a decent sipper. The high ABV would keep me from drinking more than a small serving at any one sitting.

GRPunk, Mar 05, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Very light red appearance with copper highlights... Little or no head or lace... Very inviting appearance...

S - Bitter hops and grapefruit... And more bitter hops... Subtle, but not too over powering...

T - Very pronounced hops taste... Firm yet flavorful... Taste lingers, doesn't dissipate and remains solid throughout until the next sip...

M - Wow, exceptionally smooth, almost silky... Given the ABV, I'm shocked how easy it is to drink...

D - Exceptionally vibrant brew... Given the strong hops and ABV content, I was surprised at how drinkable this was... If there is such a thing as a 13% ABV session beer, this is it...

All around a job well done by Founders... This is my first Founders brew and I look forward to sampling many of their others...

philbe311, Mar 04, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -43.6%

Devil Dancer Triple IPA 13 % ABV . Label is colored a reddish /auburn hue . There is a woman who is being held by the Devil no doubt with orange flames comming from underneath . Smell is some hops and very " boozy ". Alcohol aroma is very prominent . On the tongue it is hot and intense . As the alcohol warms it is not very pleasant . The lacing in nice to look at all over the glass . Few more sips solidifies my thoughts that this is just too boozy , medicinal . Booze bomb that is harsh , thick , and just not worth trying again . The Devil Dancer will leave your throat and mouth with an oily fire .

Kudashov, Mar 01, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

I grabbed this at the great local Piccadilly, and they had some in the back room for regular and discriminating patrons. I'm pleased and honored to be considered among them. A finger of head caps a brown-orange body, with thick lacing around the Yankees pint glass all the way down. The smell is thick with hops, but caramel emerges with enough prodding. Same with the taste, although there is enough citrus and spice to reflect good complexity. Devil Dancer is certainly bitter, but complex enough to offer a smooth texture. I'd characterize it as loaded, rather than larded down, with hops, and the difference is significant. While impossible to miss the hop flavor in this beast, it doesn't stifle other elements.

This is a very tasty but also distinct DIPA, one reminiscent of barleywine to a degree with its strong, thick taste extending well beyond well-hopped. Very impressive, Devil Dancer is a DIPA around which to tread warily.

Gehrig, Feb 27, 2008