Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Founders Devil Dancer - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Devil Dancer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,415 | Hads: 4,697
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Burn orange almost red color. Very appetizing. Medium tan head with medium sized bubbles. No retention.

Smell - Alcohol. Malt. Bread. Dank. Spicy.

Taste - Alcohol and grapefruit/fruits up front. Caramel. Smell translates to taste. Almost a triple to taste.

Feel - Creamy/syrupy but light bodied? Doesn't explode with carbonation.

Overall - It reminds me of Double Crooked Tree. I tried it as soon as soon as it arrived in Columbus.

3.22/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I love the color and overall look of this one. However it isn't as balanced as I'd like. It's a hop monster - bitter as can be. It's good, but there are other triples I greatly prefer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've come to expect so much from Founders which I think is why this one left me a little disappointed. Was very good, nice color and aroma - great taste. Just not up to CBS, KBS, Breakfast Stout or Imperial Stout. Still a fine brew.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Poured cold into a tulip glass; Bottled with a month and a half.
Look = 4.0 Pours a clear, deep mahogany color with red highlights and 4 fingers of light brown head composed of bigger bubbles and fades to ring before disappearing entirely. Decent lace and a nice color.
Aroma = 4.0 Hop forward, kind of spice hops, earthy and piney. Alcohol is prominent in the nose as is the caramel malty sweetness.
Taste = 3.75 Hoppy but very sweet too; piney bitterness with caramel and toffee sweetness, a significant bitter finish. Alcohol is clear too, packs a punch.
Feel = 4.25 Medium to full bodied with light to medium carbonation; thick, syrupy and a substantial resiny feel
Drinkability = 3.5 Big, boozy and bitter.
Overall = 3.9 A much better showing here than when I reviewed it last year; guess I knew what to expect better and appreciated it for what it was more.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very strong. It's a real sipper. Very malty in the front, with a strong oakiness. Doesn't feel like an IPA, then again, I've had very few triples, so maybe I don't know what to expect. 7/10 would bang.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

From 12 oz bottle in a craft beer glass and on tap at Muddy Waters and the Bryant Lake Bowl.
A: Reddish amber with slight haze, not much head S: Malt, spice and some fig on the nose.
T: A lot of spicy hop flavor, some cola, dark sugars, citrus. Faint hint of tobacco and anise. Bitterness is rounded and not harsh.
F: Medium low carbonation, medium high to chewy body. Warming
O: The hops are big in this beer but it has the alcohol and the malt to balance things out.

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best so called "triple" IPA I've had to date
Kinda like a super hoppy barley wine you can taste the 112 Ibus but its perfectly matched by the absurd amounts of malt

3.51/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with pry-off cap. 2014 batch poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a hazy mahogany with 1/2 finger of cream colored head

Smell: Hefty aromas of dark fruit, malt and earthy hops

Taste: Goodbye palate... The malt and syrupy notes assault you with flavors of hops wrapped in plums and raisins with alcohol on the finish

Mouthfeel: Thick but the flavors gives more of a syrupy feel than the actually mouthfeel leads

Overall: Been wanting to try this for a while so I was fine with buying last years. Given the strength, I didn't expect much to fall off. Feels like a hefty, boozy, syrupy barley wine than anything. I'll still seek out a fresh bottle this year, but I think this doesn't age as gracefully as 120 minute does. I'm expecting I would prefer this fresh since any hop notes in this 10 month bottle are subdued by everything else.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Oasis. Served in a pint glass.

A- Dark reddish-brown body. Surprisingly dark; half finger white head with minimal retention time, no lacing.

S- Deep caramel aromas with resinous citrus zest hops; altogether it starts smelling like onions. It's very sweet but resinous as far as aromas go.

F- Onion bomb. A bit of garlic in there too. Very sweet and flavourful, but really not my thing. Lots of vegetal onions on the palate with a lot of resin; that's the best way I can describe this beer.

M- Thick bodied, almost syrupy. It's not in a bad way, but it's definitely a hefty beer. No alcohol or fusel burn, but it's definitely extremely sweet, which is a surprise given all the IBUs attributed to this beer.

O- Just not my thing, but it's not terrible. There are multiple triple IPAs that I like better, but this isn't a bad beer.

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reminds me of DFH 120, but hoppier. Its got a kick! Overpriced, but you only live once. Founders is an exceptional Brewery...all their brews are dee-licious.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Going out of my dining-out comfort zone with this one, Founders Devil's Dance Triple IPA clocks in at a hearty 12% APV, making this my kind of beer! With a fairly mild malt aroma and bitterness out of this world, it leaves a carmel aftertaste that was more than what I expected. This does result in the usual IPA hoppiness being overrun by the malts. Slightly silky mouthfeel but no sticky residual. Went well with the calamari I ordered as an appetizer and even better with the rack of lamb.

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (bottled on: 5/20/14)

A: Hazy deep dark brown that has a tiny collar.
S: Sweet malts like a fine barleywine. The hops have been overwhelmed by the malts.
T: This is probably Founders version of Bigfoot, with some amped up abv and hops. Makes me want to get some fresh. Reminds me a lot of Bigfoot, but with a bit more of a pronounced singular hop note, if that is what you'd call it. There is just a delicious initial crescendo that fades into hops.
M: Nice solid mouthfeel that is of your standard light carbonation.
O: About 7 months old, but still delicious in the form of an American Barleywine. If it's anything like fresh Double Trouble, then I want some.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

Rating a fresh 2015 bottle. Bottled on 5/24/15, a mere 8 days ago. Score updated to 4.06 from 4.00 - The previous bottle I scored was several months old at the time of consumption in 2014.

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been keeping an eye out for this "triple" IPA and I finally got my hands on one.

A - Deep amber color. Great clarity with small white head and decent lacing. Pours pretty thick for an IPA.

S - Lots of citrus, floral, and fruit notes mixed with alcohol, caramel, and some malt. Not a full on hop assault but a strong hoppy beer. Like a largely dry hopped American barley wine.

T - Upfront the citrus, grapefruit, resin character is strong and then the alcohol and malt kick in. This beer has a big malt backbone to with some caramel to accompany the bitterness, alcohol, and hop flavors on the front. The finish makes an attempt for balance with the bitterness to match the richness. Though it isn't as rich as a barley wine or as hop flavored as some DIPAs but there is great flavor throughout.

M - Medium to heavy mouth-feel with lower carbonation. With the pour and 12% I was expecting a heavier mouth feel but it is more balanced than I was lead to believe. The flavors do linger but it isn't cloying or as hot as some bigger DIPAs out there.

Overall, a very good beer but isn't as amazing as some DIPAs out there. This beer treads the line between DIPA and barley wine very well and if that is what you want then this is the perfect beer. I would rather have a fresher tasting DIPA than this but for once in a while this is a great beer. My bottle wasn't harsh or oxidized but I could expect those characteristics at different ages of this beer.

Glass- Perfect Pint

4.71/5  rDev +19.8%

I had Founder's Double Trouble last night. Overall I think that this is a better beer.

Look: No head, but at 12.0% ABV what do you expect? It is darker than the Double Trouble, I think there may be a different grain composition.

Smell: Sweet, just like Double Trouble. Though the hops come through a bit more. I sense orange blossoms and citrus smells.

Taste: Very sweet for an IPA. Has more of a caramel flavor compared to the Double Trouble. Darker flavor profile. Hops are not as piney as the Double Trouble. I would say its more orange blossom like it smells, citrus, and a touch of the piney flavors. Very pleasant.

Feel: Like most well-done high ABV beers, it is deceiving. Just a touch touch sticky-sweet, but I like it. Of course it has a little burn.

Overall: Awesome Triple IPA. I like this more than the Double Trouble. Seems like I am in a minority.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled May of this year

A: poured into a tulip to a light brown with a little orange with a finger and a half of off white head that retains well and leaves decent lacing
S: smells of caramel sweetness and orange marmalade. some slight herbal bitterness as well along with some alcohol
T: taste is caramel, orange marmalade, herbal hop bitterness but a lot of sweet citrus. a little toasted bread as well and the swallow brings some citrus rind, tropical fruit, piney hop bitterness, caramel sweetness, and more orange marmalade
M: medium on the palate with soft carbonation and an oily hop finish that leaves things refreshing
O: This is a pretty big beer with a lot of complexity and it will be interesting to see how it changes as it ages. I wish I could have gotten to this beer when it was fresher but there is still a lot of hop flavor in this beer. the front end seems to have faded the most but the swallow is amazing.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

A - Poured a very dark ruby orange color. Formed a nice finger of medium tan head. Minimal lacing.
S - Hops and grapefruit. Aroma is a little subdued on this particular brew.
T - Wow. Super boozy. Lots of sweet sweet orange, apple, grapefruit and tangerine, finishes only slightly bitter. Definitely a "sweet" IPA, even though it states that it has 112 IBUs. Very good.
O - A damned good IPA, 5 stars. An experience.
V - Quite expensive at almost 20 dollars a four pack.

4.56/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. Bought this because i found a single for 7 bucks, not about to pay 25 bucks for 4 of these. That said, this is one of the best TRIPA's i've ever had. Couldn't drink more than one for sure, but what a treat. If you can find a single pick it up. I wouldn't want to sit on something like this, so be ready to drink it.

3.27/5  rDev -16.8%

The one I tried was in the bottle about 6 months.. I would have liked to try a really fresh one! To me it was really malty. I did taste the hops but this beer is super sweet. And not something you was to session at 12% ABV it's more of a once in a while treat if you like super high ABV malty beers.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to @xicanobeerrun for the trade.

This is from a six month old bottle. How does that happen? And no, it didn’t magically turn into some amazing blend of pixie tears and cotton candy, or whatever it is the kids hope their old triple IPAs metamorphosize into after a few months of shelf life. But it wasn’t a drainpour either, in case you’re in the “bottled yesterday means it’s already too old to drink” camp. So there.

At any rate this looks incredible. There’s a malty amber, slightly reddish-caramel hue to it that’s inviting and mysterious. Hops have faded, leaving some notes of a candied orange peel and straw lingering around. The flavor has a surprisingly rounded bitterness that hits midpalate with a drying finish and just enough malt to give it some definition without feeling heavy. So: do I wish I had this fresh? Yes, of course. But am I disappointed that the only taste I have of it is one from a bottle half a year old? Not in the least.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice combination of brown and red liquid. Not much of a head and lacing. I smell hops and sweet malt. As I get further along the drink, I detect a strong chocolate aroma. Taste is initially malty sweet and is balanced by a heavy hop aftertaste. As the drink progresses, the hops flavor becomes more pronounced. The feel is amazing! A full bodied chewy and thick liquid that feels heavy on your mouth.
If you love hops this is the beer for you! If you like a good buzz, this is the one for you! I had just one and as I'm typing this I notice that I'm almost smashed!! Another good brew from Founders!

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Full on blitz of all sorts of hops, hitting multiple taste profiles. Doesn't really lean on the piney, resinous, or citrus side of things. Just a fully bitter. Some pale malts. Really almost overdone with the alpha acids on this one. Doesn't really settle in a characteristic that an be enjoyed. booziness is present and abv isn't hidden too well.

Not bad by any means but feels like just loaded this one to the brim

4.48/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, I understand this is not your every day IIPA. If you're looking for an Enjoy By clone, walk on by. This is a TRIPLE IPA, which I believe is deserving of it's own category. The malt bill is heavy duty, the hops in equal proportion. Beers of this ilk, cross the bridge between American Barleywine and DIPA, and that's exactly where you will find Devil Dancer. Fruity, tangy, cirtrusy hoppy, malty....yes you've got all of theseys. Oops, I'm stuck. Not a hint of alcohol while weighing in at 12% ABV with 112 IBUs. This beer is an EXPERIENCE, not just another DIPA. Next year, when you buy your four pack, drink two and let another two sit for 4-5 months. You'll be rewarded I can assure you....

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

While basically its is a barleywine at this date, it still has a massive malt backbone and the essential bittering hops which still proves the devil can still dance.

Bottled on 5/20/2014

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance - 4.5/5
Deep amber color. Very little head, almost none. The color makes me excited to try

Smell - 3.5/5
Hops, piney, citrusy. Thick, almost bready smell. Hard to describe (there is a "weight" to the smell)

Taste - 3.5/5
Not nearly as hoppy as I thought this beer would be, given how much boasted the beer had about being a "Triple IPA". Took a deep sip to start, initial taste was orange/citrusy. Beer is very smooth. After drinking several sips, start to feel a small, minor "burning" sensation in the throat. The taste is good, but nothing special either. The main redeeming quality of this beer is it's smoothness

Mouthfeel - 4.3/5
Beer is very smooth. 12% ABV but you don't taste cause it's so smooth. The beer feels moderately thick in the mouth, but goes down smooth

Overall - 4/5
A good beer, but actually not that hoppy for an IPA. The nice color and great mouthfeel, combined with a decent taste are what make this brew a quality one.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%