Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,081

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view more.
Ratings: 10,088 | Reviews: 2,787
4.89/5  rDev +5.8%

I was very lucky to find this on tap at Crunchy's. Very nice taste. The bourbon is strong and fragrant but mesh's well to create a strong finish and great flavor.

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Took a little effort to get a hold of 10 bottles of the '15, but it was well worth it. Going to enjoy drinking and sharing this beer throughout the rest of this year.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm not very familiar with stouts or reviewing stouts, so I'll just keep this short and tell it like I feel it. Very drinkable, very flavorful. Chocolate is the biggest flavor that stood out to me here. Creamy chocolate and roasted coffee. I fully respect this beer and the hype.

4.34/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Retraction of last year's harsh criticism of KBS. 2015 version is brash, bold, and coffee heavy with a pleasing hint of bourbon. Not a barrel heavy beer, but coffee, dark roasted malt and cocoa notes abound. Viscosity has improved.

I must have gotten a bad lot last year. This is my 4th yearly sampling, and this one is back on track. I prefer bourbon heavier, but this is my own personal shortcoming... Not the beers problem. Well done Founders. As a big fan of your standard and limited releases, this beer deserves praise at this price point.

I have been lucky, diligent, and cunning enough to score at least 12 each year. These ones are worth keeping ( if I could prevent my gorgeous, brilliant, and youthful wife away from them)

Suggestions to try in this category: Big Bad Baptist is a winner, and economical. Java Bourbon Eclipse is great, and NOT economical

4.96/5  rDev +7.4%

Was lucky enough to enjoy this on tap at my local pub. Absolutely delicious. Enough said.

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

A dark black beer with no clarity on the edges, it has a inch thick beige head. Smell is of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, with bourbon-y syrup smell. Taste is first of milk chocolate and coffee, then oak and bourbon, and finishes with vanilla . It is a warm boozy beer with tons of different highly concentrated flavors, overall fantastic. The only thing I would change is the mouth fell, it is a bit light.

Simply put, the best imperial stout I've had!

4.34/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Malty goodness! Nice coffee and chocolate notes.

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

MI's world-famous stout in bourbon... They do so many great ipa, rpa, and dark styles that can be hard to find, and also have done the centennial dance. #vigorpour

4.36/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Good God, finally. I've been interested in this ever since I started enjoying the style 2.5 years ago. I couldn't ever manage a bottle, but I got a howler (32oz growler) fill for $27 including tax earlier today. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. My expectations are stupidly high... which is probably a bad thing.

Appearance: Poured down the center of the glass and gave a thick and creamy brown head about two fingers high that went down to a thin layer. The color is, of course, pitch black, and there's basically no lacing. Great looking beer as a whole. (4.5/5)

Smell: Very nice. Really a lot of coffee in there, which I wasn't really expecting -- dark roast coffee is one of the first things I pick up, followed by roasted malt, and a little bit of chocolate, too. Really, I don't know what it is, but I don't pick up an insane level of oak or vanilla -- I do get a fair amount of bourbon though, that's for sure. KBS definitely smells "hotter" than some other BBA'd stouts I've had. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: And this is where I'll lose some friends (as if I have any) -- it's just not quite blowing me away. I will say, it's unique and unlike BCBS (the popular comparison). Coffee stands out in a huge way with KBS, being at the forefront, and then it's very heavy on the bourbon, with a pretty bitter finish -- this is not at all syrupy sweet like many others in the style, and for that, I appreciate it... but I'm not sure that it's worthy of a 100 rating on this site. Of course, I'm just one unpopular opinion. It's just that I don't get an overwhelming amount of depth in this beer. It's a lot like black coffee with a shot of bourbon, and just a little tiny bit of vanilla/oak/barrel... but mostly coffee and bourbon. The aftertaste is that dark roast coffee with a bit of a boozy burn, and a fair amount of warmth. Maybe it's because this is fresh and/or from the tap, but my jaw's certainly not to the floor. As it warms up a bit of dark chocolate hits the back of the tongue on the finish, but some more barrel character would go a long way here. (4.25/5, 4/5)

The mouthfeel of this is, as I figured it would be, quite nice. It's not super thick and heavy like some other BBA'd stouts, but it's got a reasonably nice feel and makes for an excellent sipper.

A great beer, but without a doubt, a very disappointing one, simply because I was expecting this to be, if not my all-time favorite beer, right up there. It turns out it barely cracks my Top 50. I'll finish my howler tomorrow and make rating adjustments if necessary, but as of now, this is just a very good (albeit overhyped) BBA'd stout. I don't think this beer is better than BCBS, or the far lesser known but still insanely awesome Bourbon Ben's Asthma by Short's. It's a beer I'd most definitely have again, but I wouldn't seek it out aggressively. If I do find this beer again, I hope it's in a bottle, so I can put a few years of age on it in hopes of developing more depth and also mellowing it out.

TL;DR: Certainly buy it if you see it, but I wouldn't trade my cellar away or drive far too pick up a bottle/growler/case/what have you -- it's not the best in the style, in my opinion. Definitely ecstatic that I got a chance to try this beer though. Pretty freakin' marvelous.

(4.25/5)

4.36/5 (-5% rDev)

4.35/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage. Midnight in color with a surprisingly small head. Smell and taste are complex and wonderful with primarily coffee flavors but the down point is that the alcohol is not concealed at all. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected but not bad. Overall I believe this is somewhat overhyped but being new to the style I can't compare and still really enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: poured with a half finger head, thin film when settled, not intensely black appearance

S: immediate hit of milk chocolate

T: interesting layers of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, with a slight tendency to be a bit boozy

M: average mouthfeel

O: so many layers to this beer, it is an excellent beer I would drink whenever the chance. It is slightly heavy on the roast for me personally however would not call it over roasted. Very good beer.

4.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from Kyle C, poured into pint glass.

4.14/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep black, very slight tan slick on the top. Smell is bourbon. Dark chocolate. Taste is dark chocolate, coffee, and bourbon strong. Its boozy. Mouth feel was on the thinner side. Overall its good. Is it good but it really isnt cult classic good. I wouldnt fist fight a person for some, but would drink it any time it was available if you get my drift.

Such a perfect stout. One of my favorites

4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2015 vintage.
Black pour, small half finger beige head, quick to a frothy string and a really thin film on top. Moderate lacing.
The smell is pretty intense and brings up front exactly what you'd expect: dark, but also some milky chocolate, a lot of coffee powder on top, some Bourbon, caramel and vanilla, not too heavily roasted malts. At least not charred to a crisp. Alcohol doesn't show up yet, a bit of hop tends too, tho.
An interesting, layered sip. Starts with a bit of dark fruit, washed with some clear Bourbon, a bit boozy at first, but it gets just warmer later on. There's a hint of brandy in there. Clear chocolate goodness follows, not the darkest kind, but really rich, with a touch of molasses, more caramel, oaky vanilla and some roasted grain. This nice, but moderate sweetness leads to a pretty contrasting finish, dominated by acidic black coffee, some bitter hop underneath, making up a dry feeling that goes well with the last bite of alcohol.
Each new sip renews the Bourbon taste, making it more and more clear. Still, the alcohol becomes manageable and you're left with nice coffee bean, cocoa and light roast in the aftertaste. Medium body, with a smooth, slightly prickly carbonation, works quite well.
A big bad imperial stout that's well worth the hype. Still, not the perfect monster that i was led to believe, so don't break your neck looking for it. A toe or two would suffice.

4.39/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 355 ml bottle (bottled March 5, 2015) to a snifter.

A-The pour is thick looking and dark; nearly black. The head is mocha in color and starts at one finger tall but fades quickly to a thin film on top. Not much in the way of visible carbonation. No lacing.

S-The aroma is an intense and lovely mixture of drip coffee, milk and dark chocolate, some milkiness, and nice assertive bourbon flavors like caramel and vanilla. It is medium sweet with a little bit of molasses and berry fruit.

T-The taste is similar to the smell with a nice blend of typical stout flavors like chocolate, roasted barley, and molasses. The barrel character is strong and the flavors are well-balanced. I get vanilla and caramel mostly. Booze is not hidden, its right up front, but it works well here.

M-The feel is lighter than I expected, but still average for the style. Carbonation is mild and fits nicely.

O-This is a damn good beer, but I don't know if this one lives up to the hype for me. Everything about this beer is done well, and the balance is there, but nothing really shines for me. The bourbon is very prevalent in the flavor and it works, but there are other beers with similar flavors, better feel and nicer looks.

4.85/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

People seem to love to hate on KBS but it's the smoothest easiest drinking big imperial stout in the market in my opinion. Flavors are all apparent but not overwhelming like other stouts in its class.

4.32/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Needs a little cellaring for perfection.

4.02/5  rDev -13%

I was lucky enough to try 12 & 13 thought it was a little thin dissapointed

Best stout in the world. This one makes a stout lover out of anyone. It's that good.

4.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Very little head almost looks flat. Smell is milk chocolate, roasted coffee and some whiskey. Taste is a melted Hershey bar, coffee is a little muted, good bit of boozyness some people might say it's to "hot" but I enjoy that in these types of beers. I didn't get any vanilla. Mouthfeel is silky chocolate milk. Excellent stout but the price and availability would be a huge deterrent in the future.

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into cuvee

A- Black like motor oil, very small 1/4 inch tan head, mild lacing

S-chocolate, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, caramel, molasses,

T-chocolate and coffee upfront gives way to oaky bourbon flavors which fades into vanilla that slips into a slight cola

F-thick, full bodied, creamy, more carbonation than expected based on the pour

O-Great beer, flavors are well balanced with none overpowering the other..........nice variation of flavors from the chocolate / coffee to the oaky bourbon and vanilla / molasses / caramel

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: like motor oil. Slick tan film on top.

S: roasted coffee immediately assaults your nostrils in the best of ways. Vanilla, baking chocolate powder, oak, some bitter roasted malts. More roasted coffee

T: holy cow is this good. There is an intense coffee bean flavor right up front followed sweet oak and vanilla. Dense melted milk chocolate and a hint of cola. On the end of the taste is some mild bourbon

M: it's a silky mouthfeel that sits at about medium. More carbonation than expected, almost like drinking a soda

O: super smooth beer here. It's delicious. Coffee is the standout, but everything else works perfect in here

4.85/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful, grab it if you can.

to view more.