Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,088

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view more.
Ratings: 10,239 | Reviews: 2,823
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours near black with small caramel head. Notes of chocolate, bourbon, coffee in both aroma and taste. Bit boozy though, but not unexpected at 11+%. Bourbon really comes through. Mouthfeel isn't as thick as other imperial stouts, but makes it drink very smoothly, despite the heavy bourbon undertones. Finish is warm. Excellent stout but would put behind Goose Island BCBS among my favorites of the genre.

3.67/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Deep black body and a large, fluffy, beige head from an aggressive pour, which soon died down. Unsurprisingly, the nose is dominated by bourbon. Lots of coffee and chocolate flavour as to be expected from the style, but with a boozy, bourbon finish. Mouthfeel is as smooth as silk.

KBS is a beer with a huge reputation, but I have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed with it. I've had many imperial stouts I'd rate higher than this. I guess I'm not a fan of the bourbon flavour (if I have a whisky, I'll make it a scotch). I'm grateful I got to try it, but unlike some other hard to find imperial stouts I've had the pleasure of trying, I won't be too sad if I never have another one.

4.73/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Coffee and chocolate flavor, alcohol finish, smooth stout

Drink one and you'll understand my rating. The alcohol hides behind the smooth flavor and finish.

4.23/5  rDev -8.4%

Dry, almost like powdered chocolate, wet coffee grinds, very mellow bourbon warmth. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, so much so it's surprisingly drinkable. Drinking it not sipping it. Really good beer, but doesn't blow my mind. Unfortunately, I think the reputation proceeds it.

3.73/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

2014 version, liked it better fresh (15). Personally i don't see what the hype is all about, plently of beers in the same style for less money and readily available that taste better in my opinion. Seek this out if you truly enjoy coffee in your beer.

4.29/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

L: It looks fantastic, it's inky black with a thin tan head.

A: The aroma is a wonderful blend of bourbon and chocolate. My only disappointment in the aroma is that there is no coffee. (I am drinking a fresh one too, 2015, I'll review a 2014 below)

T: It's a great blend of bourbon and chocolate. Very well made with the 11.2% hidden. With that said, it is not blowing my lid off, and where is the coffee that the label says it has???

F: The mouth feel is what is really holding it back. It doesn't coat my mouth and the flavor leaves as soon as arrives. It's a good flavor that I want to last longer with every sip!

O: Very good and worth getting, but not worth the effort to get more than 12.

Followed up the 2015 version with the 2014. The 2014 is lacking every category.
A: Dark but with no head. 4.0
S: Almost none 2.0
T: Little bourbon, no chocolate, but no alcohol at all. But I want flavor....3.5
F: Even worse than the fresh bottle. 2.0
O: Don't age it, the best characteristics fade away. 3.0

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: aggressive pour into a Schell's snifter yields one finger of tan head. Body is jet black. The stuff of legends.

Smell: bourbon, chocolate, caramel. Didn't pick up the coffee, but I'm not a coffee drinker, so I may not know what I'm doing.

Taste: the bourbon is prevalent, but as a guy that DOES NOT LIKE BOURBON, it's not oppressive - as a matter of fact, it blends so well with the chocolate flavors that it is virtually masked to this non-bourbon drinker. And I taste the coffee. Simply magnificent.

Feel: smoooooooooth, like a good sippin' whiskey, a little creamy.

Overall: I've been holding a bottle of this for 2 months, but when I received #2 in a trade this weekend, I decided to crack one open (Little O is a lucky budding beer nerd - he'll get the 2nd bottle). It lives up to the hype and more. Impeccable balance for an 11.5% ABV beverage, Founders shows again why they are a world-class brewer, IMHO.

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Founders KBS has a thin, tan head, a super-dark brown appearance, some bubble streams, and noticeable tan chunks roiling about. Lacing is minimal. The aroma is of a strong bourbon smell, with background dark-roasted malts. Taste is of the same, with vanilla, chocolate powder, dark coffee, bitterness (not so high), and sweetness. Mouthfeel is mostly heavy, with a velvety aspect coming into play, and Founders KBS finishes somewhat powdery and fairly drinkable for such a strong beer.

RJT

4.91/5  rDev +6.3%

exceptional.so smooth and subtle for such a strong bourbon stout.managed to bag about 8 of these,drunk 5 aging 3.the ones i drank right away were worth all the hassle of finding them.cant wait to age a few. great drinkability, superb balance of flavours and as with most founders brews, gets better and better the further you go down the bottle.one of the best.

3.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Big step up from their regular breakfast stout but still wasn't a huge fan of the flavor. Easy to drink and solid.

This is the Greatest beer ever!

3.81/5  rDev -17.5%

While this beer was extremely enjoyable, it did not live up to the hype for me. I got subtle notes of vanilla and chocolate, but was not getting much from the bourbon barrels. I was definitely expecting more flavor from the bourbon barrels and coffee... Overall, the beer was very smooth/balanced and drinkable for 11%.

I would take a Prairie Bomb! over KBS any day of the week!

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look- Pitch Black coloring- beautiful.

Smell- strong chocolate and coffee notes

Taste- Initial chocolate taste, smooth bourbon taste on the way down.

Feel- Definitely a sipper.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Solid Beer just prefer CBS a little more

4.48/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

the newer years have been a little thin. great beer but i would rather drink Sunday morning stout, which is cheaper and better in my opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you thought Founders Breakfast Stout was epic, this is Epic 2.0. Reminds me of a more potent FBS, the bourbon taste/aroma makes the already existing flavors/smells more pronounced. Thin, silky smooth mouthfeel...this is a real treat!

4.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Subtle bourbon taste, lingering chocolate notes, some dark fruit in the finish, this is a great beer

4.99/5  rDev +8%

So glad I was able to have this a few times and then trade some as well.

Absolutely amazing !!!! Well worth the wait!!

3.92/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

This is a man's beer at 11.2% and I can see why it is rated so highly. The high alcohol content is balanced nicely and the bourbon flavor is very smooth. My first mouthful had strong coffee flavor then it was straight bourbon.

Not being a bourbon fan, I was hoping for more coffee. Still a very well crafted beer even if it is not my flavor.

3.15/5  rDev -31.8%

The bourbon in this beer is way to overpowering. It tastes more like bourbon than beer.

4.16/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The 2015 version is better than the previous three years they had put out.

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Based on the 2015 bottling. Poured into a stout glass after allowing it to warm on the counter for 20 minutes. An imperial stout at fridge temperature makes no sense.

My pour was on the gentle side, and thus head formation was on the low end. Inky black in appearance, very opaque. Head is a lovely milk chocolate brown in color.

Aroma wise you are hit with a blend of vanilla, a slight nutty/coffee note, bittersweet chocolate, and most definitely alcohol. Descriptors like "hot" and "boozy" apply to this beer more so than a lot of other high ABV stouts that I've tried. No hiding 11.2% in this big boy. The alcohol makes itself known again on the exhale, in an almost whiskey-like fashion. It feels appropriate given the style and the brewer's intentions for this beer.

Malt flavors are that of roast coffee and dark chocolate, hop bitterness on the side palate is present but not overwhelming. There is also a wood character that must come from the aging barrels, wine aficionados would call it oaky. The mouthfeel is silky smooth but with less body than I was expecting given the overall portfolio of appearance, flavors and aromas in this beer.

One thing that could make the 2015 bottling even better is to age it for 9 months to a year. I think the alcohols would transform and get toned down somewhat, allowing the other flavors to come to the fore. That said, this is worth seeking out when your local craft beer bar has it on tap.

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I'm not a stout fan but this is freaking incredible. On tap at Cugino's. Tried numerous times over past 4 years and it never fails. Surprised I could get it so late in Spring!

to view more.