1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Ratings: 7,053 | Reviews: 2,411 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Stevedore:
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%

Context: 12oz bottle of the 2013 vintage (just obtained today in the Great KBS Derby of Madison 2013) poured into a Bell's tulip. This is the first I've had of 2013, but I've had 2012 in the past. Disclosures: there is the potential for the extra work of obtaining this beer to influence this review, as I left work early and drove across town to get some.

Aroma: Smells just as good as I remember it. Very big, pungent nose that I can smell coming out of the bottle. Very, very bourbon barrel forward nose- vanilla and oak dominating. There is some dark brewed coffee, and some cocoa and chocolate malt aromas that comes to the front as it warms up. While its dominated by the bourbon barrel characteristics, it's up there with BCBS and Black Note when it comes to aroma.

Colour: Looks great. Pours a viscous jet black body- not quite Ten FIDY but really thick. It may be the way I poured it, but it comes with nearly no head whatsoever and leaves just a thin brown collar. It might have to do with me drying my tulip glass by hand with a towel just before drinking this. I'll revisit when I drink another one in a clean dry glass, but even then- the relative lack of head is pretty typical of imperial stouts. Also, the lacing is pretty average- it's there and sticks, but there isn't a ton of it. Overall it beats some of the other BA stouts I've had but not by much.

Flavour: Nice. The first sip of this beer kicks me in the face with its bourbon barrel-forward character. Tons of vanilla and oak. Just like the nose. It's pretty much all bourbon barrel for the first few minutes. And as it warms up, I can make out cocoa and dark chocolate malt flavours, almost on the bitter side even. Warming up some more, the coffee definitely makes its appearance, tasting like cold brewed coffee- not too stale, not too pungent- not too coffee forward like people seem to always be saying about fresh KBS. A nice progression of flavours that continue to layer on top of each other. It's quite fun to sip on as it goes from fridge-cold to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: Compared to what I remember of last year's, it's actually a bit thicker on the body which I'd classify as on the thinner side of thick body. Last year would be thicker side of medium bodied. This could be pure semantics or pure folly. It's as creamy as ever that leaves my palate with a dry finish. Carbonation is average for beer in general, and is just about right for this kind of beer. The aftertaste is a nice, smooth mix of bitter coffee and chocolate and the bourbon barrel oak flavours. And I definitely feel the heat as the beer warms up to room temperature. This beer doesn't disappoint in the mouthfeel department.

Overall: Despite all the naysayers saying this year's KBS is thinner bodied, has no bourbon, etc., it seems to me that this is the same KBS that we've all come to enjoy. I'm happy to have gotten my hands on some of this year's vintage. It's a nice, complex beer that's great to sip on- it really should be released 3 months earlier in the winter. It's a very good bourbon barrel-aged coffee imperial stout that any BA stout fan would really enjoy and that's as simple as that. Ignore the hype, taste the beer and be happy.

Old rating: 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5, total score 4.48

Note: I would consider holding onto this beer for a month or two to see if the bourbon barrel contribution mellows out a bit and to see if you can get some of the underlying malt flavours.

Re-review (2014 vintage): Picked up a bottle of this perennial treat on KBS Day yesterday, 4/1/2014. Poured into a Founders' etched snifter today, 4/2/2014. Essentially, it's very similar to last year in terms of my tasting notes. However nose-wise, I feel that the coffee is very subdued, and the bourbon is a bit watered down. Not as much vanilla (from the bourbon/oak) or oak presence here. The bourbon really doesn't hit me in the face as much as it did in last year's vintage. Flavourwise, plenty of sweet chocolate flavours, dark malts, milk chocolate, some coffee which is clearly not as noticeable as BCBCS et al. On the backend, there is more of a solid straight bourbon flavour that is initially sweet and a bit ashy, but the barrel contribution is relatively minimal. Good mouthfeel, viscous but a bit hot, leaves a nice warmth in my stomach as I drink it. But overall this is a slight letdown for me considering how much I enjoyed last year's version. It could very well be palate evolution or bottle variation. If I were to re-rate this beer, I'd give this a 4/4.25/4.25/4.5/4.25 and that looks like a total score of 4.26. Still a very good drinking experience.

04-03-2014 02:02:57 | More by Stevedore
Nlawrence301

Maryland

04-18-2014 06:37:49 | More by Nlawrence301
supernatural_skeptic

04-18-2014 05:13:24 | More by supernatural_skeptic
lochef81

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been eagerly anticipating my first taste of KBS and goddamn was it worth it!!! Maybe the best beer I've had to date. The pour is an inky black with a very small and short lived tan head that leaves a slight lacing but lots of legs. The aroma is a perfect blend of(in order of dominance) coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, and a little hops. The mouthfeel is as silky and smooth as any beer ever made. The flavor is an incredible smooth bomb of coffee, bourbon, chocolate, oak, vanilla, butter, hops. Simply fucking delicious and amazing. I'd sell my soul for a whole case. J/k....not really.

04-18-2014 04:46:49 | More by lochef81

04-17-2014 04:50:07 | More by ArdyExfor
Kramerwtmf

4.31/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I looked to trade for this beer for a long time and finally got a four pack of the 2014 release. While it is a great bourbon barrel aged stout, I personally thought both bourbon county coffee stout and founders breakfast stout were better. I can't wait to revisit this beer every six months until I run out to see how it matures.

04-17-2014 03:48:34 | More by Kramerwtmf
ms333

04-17-2014 02:19:22 | More by ms333
meehandennis

Maine

04-17-2014 01:14:24 | More by meehandennis
brianmandell

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Originally rated 4.25 on draft from brickyard in Jan 2014 (2013 KBS)

The bottled version of the 2014 is a very dark brown/black pour with short tan head and lacing. Big aromas of chocolate syrup, coffee liqueur and vanilla.

The coffee and chocolate are forward with a mild sweetness followed by vanilla and marshmallow flavors. There is some oak on the end finishing in a boozy astringent dryness reminding me of lower quality bourbon.

The mouthfeel is silky and delightful but thinner than I'd like. The thin mouthfeel makes this beer easier drinking than other barrel aged stouts.

Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite beers and I love how KBS shares some similarities and adds some of the benefits of barrel aging. The end result is very good but it falls short of my high expectations. The flavors are big but aren't well integrated. The thin body combined with the astringent boozy finish kill it for me until I take another sip of the chocolately goodness.

04-17-2014 01:06:34 | More by brianmandell