1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,071 | Reviews: 2,412 | Show All Ratings:
murrayswine

Arizona

I just got comped this from my distributor.
HOOOLLLYYY SHHHIIITTT!!!
I know thats annoying and cliche, but damn, this is the best damn beer I've had that I can remember.
On the pour it's all motor oil, with a limp head that dies early. I figure Whiskey doesnt have a head when you pour it, so this wont have much either.
The smell is huge: coffee, whiskey, dark chocalate, english toffee, and sweet molassis. I'm sure I'm missing something but it's just too big.
The taste is strong as hell at first. Like a meaner Breakfast stout, but it mellows and molds to a subtle and complex beer (is beer the right word?). It's got a lot of a whiskey/cognac taste in it, but that serves to temper and smooth out the coffee roast. Without becoming repetitive and long winded...this beer is f-in amazing.
BUY IT AT ALL COSTS!!!

03-15-2006 20:53:33 | More by murrayswine
kaimcm

on tap at the publick house

my first experience with the Kentucky breakfast and i dare say it was nothing short of perfect. everywhere I though the regular breakfast stout lacked, or fell shy of perfect, this beer improved on. huge aromas of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, hints of bourbon, cinammon, pastries. huge flavors of the same. incredible chew in the mouth, huge full body, coating. extrememly balanced, no booze to be found anywhere. unbelievably drinkable for such a huge and high alcohol beer. i put down 4 with total ease and sheer joy. this is truly an amazing brew. i hesitate to even try and describe it. thats it, im done. excellent.

05-24-2006 15:23:34 | More by kaimcm
MDekker

And now, a beer review update:

I first reviewed this beer almost three years ago, when I was an unexperienced BA. Since then, it has grown on me and become my favorite beer in the whole world, and worthy of all fives. Here's my updated review:

A: Pours out like 10W30, with hardly any head, but what is there is light brown - none of this tan colored head - it was the color of brown sugar.

S: Wonderful! Tons of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, bourbon, hints of vanilla, maple syrup, and bread. I could catch whiffs of it a foot from the glass - it saturated my nose.

T: It tasted superb, as well: the alcohol was perfectly present, along with the java and dark chocolate flavors, and even a hint of maple syrup. If I had to drink a beer for breakfast, this would be a good choice. There was a lingering dark roasted bourbon flavor.

M: Rich and creamy, with an appropriate measure of carbonation to complement the alcoholic bite to it.

D: No, you couldn't keep pounding these, but it's a lovely, awesome beer to drink. I love drinking it, and I'm so happy to live in the city in which it's brewed.

06-24-2006 01:43:12 | More by MDekker
IntriqKen

Many, MANY thanks to AlohaC for making my tasting of this beer possible.
Hmmm...where to begin.
Pours a deep used motor oil black with a creamy tan head that melts to thick glass-sticking lacing.
Aroma is unbelievable chocolate, espresso coffee and cream, followed with vanilla and a hint of the bourbon barrel aging with definate oak scents.
Mouthfeel is oh so buttery smooth and creamy with just a tingle of hops/carbonation.
Taste is also unbelievable. Coffee...lots of vanilla....light boubon....chocolate...almost a cream chocolate...more vanilla. WOW.
This could be the inside of a cream sees candy...or better a Beligium chocolate..a handmade Belgium chocolate.
Aftertaste is again sudden vanilla...chocolate, bourbon vanilla.
This is more than a desert...more than a meal....more like a sin.
I know that all 5's are not often supposed to happen and I have only given them to one other beer. 5's mean you cannot improve anymore.
For this beer, I do not think there could be anything better.
Thanks again, AlohaC

07-10-2006 00:08:58 | More by IntriqKen
nortmand

This is my review from the sample I savored at the MBGSBF.

Pours deep, dark brown with a dark brown head.

Nose is dominated by roast, with a bit of bourbon thrown in for good measure. Coffee notes is well.

Very complex flavor. Chocolate, maple, bourbon, coffee, roast merge into a bludgeoning mass of flavor. Really, very nice.

Huge body, smooth and very nice. Not a summer beer, but I'll never turn down the opportunity.

07-27-2006 20:22:29 | More by nortmand
RonfromJersey

Total darkness - a pitch black body with nary a highlight, topped by a three-finger light tan head, excellent lacing. Head drops very quickly. Great label, too. Surprised it got approved.

Big aroma of bourbon/vanilla/oak, with deep roast coffee and chocolate undercurrents.

Taste starts with coffee, adds a dark Hershey kiss, a healthy dollop of vanilla, some oak, and a dash of earthy hops at the finish. Bit of late belly warming as it slides down the throat.

Smooth, silky mouthfeel coats everything in the mouth. For such a big beer, wonderous drinkability.

Might not want to start my day with this, but its a damn fine way to end it.

09-05-2006 03:52:46 | More by RonfromJersey
orfeu

New Mexico

Bottle received in trade last summer from nflmvp (big ups, Steve!). Poured into a 17-ounce snifter. Ridiculously black -- pitch, tar, etc. -- with a dark mocha foam cap that fizzles to a dedicated ring and a thin swirled mass in the center of the glass. Simply amazing aroma complex: striking scent of earthy wet hardwood, with unsweetened Mexican chocolate, vanilla, and coffee aromas rounding out the scent. And the taste is just unbelievable. Every sip is a mouthful of sweet dark chocolates filled with incredibly smooth whiskey and white pepper. The 10% alcohol by volume is unmistakably noticeable, but the way in which it has been so deftly melded with the rest of the flavors is beyond belief. There are also dark fruit flavors: dried Bing cherries, prune nectar, currants. The silkiness of the mouthfeel is otherworldly -- no alcoholic slickness, just pure zero-resistance smoothness. An earthy finish gives way to an aftertaste of all the above-mentioned flavors that aboslutely demands repetition of the entire experience.

God. Damn.

I had been sitting on this bottle for a few months now and only opened this one tonight because I recently received another one in trade (maximum respect to hoppymeal for that one!). I am so terribly glad that I did. This most certainly must be one of the most beautiful beers available in the world today. Nothing short of peerless.

10-19-2006 23:44:37 | More by orfeu
GbVDave

Poured from a 12oz glasss into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Pours with the viscosity of old nasty motor oil. Pitch black. A vigorous pour reveals a bubbly and creamy, dark mocha colored, two finger head.

S: Incredible aromas of coffee, bourbon, vanilla, and dark chocolate.

T: See everything above and add to that molassas, cherry, oak, brown sugar, and hops. The finish is an an exercise in flavor balance. One second it's all coffee, then it's all bourbon, then it's bitter dark chocolate, then it's tart cherries, then...

M: Silky smooth and completely satisfying! Creamy and full and thick and rich. Amazing.

D: Drinkability if off the charts. Sure it's packing 10% but with the myriad of things going on in this beer, you soon forget all about the abv and just sip and savor this unbelievable treat. Imagine taking everything that's noteworthy about Breakfast Stout and Founders Imperial Stout, tweak the recipe slightly, and adding the extreme goodness of bourbon barrel ageing. This is what you end up with...perfection!

04-07-2007 00:53:29 | More by GbVDave
SkinnyElvis

Purchased at Capone's in Norristown. Pours a deep black with a little foam. Huge smell of coffee and chocolate. Taste is amazing: chocolate and coffee dominate with a hint of the bourbon aging plus vanilla. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth. I can't taste the ABV of 10% at all. This is truly an exceptional beer. My first beer rated as "5's" across the board. I am glad that I have a few more sitting in the stash.

Cheers.

04-20-2007 01:00:28 | More by SkinnyElvis
Brewfan

Connecticut

Recieved in a DLD trade w/ Sman (insert #'s here).

Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

Jet black body. "How much more black can it get? Really, the answer is none. None more black". -Spinal Tap
Like I said, very dark body. Dark tannish/brown head. 1finger. Decent retention. Heavy whisps of lace left in the glass once the head subsided.
Huge malty coffee and bittersweet chocolate nose. Semi smokey bourbon with whisps of marinated figs and peat. More alcohol comes through as the beer progresses.
Sooo smooth on the tongue. Oh my god. This is one smooth beer. I'm gonna be all over the place with this one between mouthfeel, taste and drinkability, because I think all 3 play into each other.
Chocolate and coffee instantly assault my palate. But it's a good assault. Bourbon and vanilla oakiness come through almost as fast. This is gorgeous. I find myself wanting drink this beer faster than almost any beer I've ever had. I have to force myself to slow down at every sip. Sips turn into swigs which turn into gulps. And this is definitely not a gulping beer. Although it goes down like one. This is too drinkable for a 10% beer. The bourbon is well present, but so well balance that you don't recognize an alcoholic "burn". It's just not there. I almost want to chew this beer there's so much flavor. I feel like I'm rambling, but it's hard to put into words everything I'm tasting.
This is one hell of a beer. I'm gonna leave it at that. Thanks to Founders for this offering. My first perfect 5 beer.

05-05-2007 02:21:30 | More by Brewfan
RoBotGod

Colorado

Every possible thing I want out of a beer is in this one. Every part of this was good even right down to the package. Its also just getting better with age. The pour looks great. Very dark black with that dark tan coffee head. The smell has breakfast all over it. Coffee and chocolate and sweet vanilla jump out. A lot of sweet bourbon notes up front and then finishes with a dry coffee taste that it leaves in your mouth. Alcohol was not very notable to me. This was my first 5 of 5 after 60 beers reviewed. A kick ass beer.

09-12-2007 04:04:20 | More by RoBotGod
soupyman10

District of Columbia

I will start by acknowledging that I might be a touch biased with this review. After buying one of these and hiding it away for a couple months before my big going away party (joining a beerless nation for the Peace Corps), my dad threw it down, not even thinking. After racing all over the state to find another one, I finally had it, with a couple hours to spare. So basically, there was no way I was going to dislike this one. And I didn't. Pours a perfect pitch black color, with two fingers of tan head on top that slowly dissolves down to a delicious looking film. Aroma is crazy strong coffee, alcohol, spiciness, and some breadiness. Tons of roasted malt. Excellent aromas. Flavor is fantastic. Alcohol spice works in perfectly with the roasted malt on the back of the tongue. Definite but subtle bourbon flavors. Nice sweet dried fruit and brown sugar on the tip of the tongue. A nice hint of chocolate as well. As it warms, a nice zap of winey liquor at the end. Truly an incredible flavor. Body is creamy and full, with perfect carbonation. Can't say enough about this one. The best beer I've ever tasted, bar-none, and a great farewell to beer drinking, at least for a little while.

10-01-2007 02:18:38 | More by soupyman10
sinistrsam

Maryland

Let me preface this by saying I've never given a 5 before in my life, and a always skeptical about so-called "perfcet" or "unbelievable" beers. That havign been said, I now, humbly admit that I understand and agree with the comments posted before; this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted.
Poured a dark almost ruby-brown with a huge tan head which had excellent retention. The aroma was wonderful and complex; dark and sweet roasted malts, chocolate and hints of wood and charcoal. Vanilla and toffee round out the smell as well as a beautiful, creamy taste that is as perfectly balanced as you can get. I agree with bort about the butterscotch; something I wouldn't have picked up on but a good call. The molasses-type taste isnt overpowering and neither is the bourbon; it is smooth and sweet and just the right ammount of bitter.
The feel is full-bodied and goes through several iterations of feel, from sweet to bitter and creamy. I loved this beer and despite the 10%abv, I could drink these until I ran out. As I said, I admit that this lives up to it's hype, and then some.

10-08-2007 22:41:35 | More by sinistrsam
twokansamm

Appears black with a very thin dark tan head.

Aroma is fresh roasted coffee, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, caramel burnt/roasted malt. You know just from the initial smell this is going to awesome.

Initial taste is a quick hint of vanilla followed immediately by a coffee/chocolate taste then a kick bourbon. Then the tastes seem to reverse in the finish followed by a lingering bourbon roasted malt flavor. Wonderful.

The feel in the mouth is heavy and rich. Very rich.

This thing is highly drinkable. I probably couldn't do more than 2 in a night, but I could enjoy those 2 over a couple of hours and be treated to pure heaven in a glass.

Way to go Founders. Thanks!

03-22-2008 01:53:03 | More by twokansamm
adams82

Pours black, opaque, with a 2 finger tan head. Smells of dark roasted coffee, bourbon, chocolate and tastes very much the same.

The flavour is intense. Coffee and chocolate dominate, then a kick of bourbon, a little alcohol, vanilla, hazelnut, more bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Heavily roasted flavors dominate this beer with the mellow chocolate and bourbon offering balance while the vanilla and hazelnut round everything out. Very complex, very tasty, very delicious and very, very worthy of a perfect 5.

Easy drinking for such an intense and flavorful beer and this really begs to be made available all year long. The bourbon character is present, but not dominating like most oaked or bourbon beers I have had. It complements the other flavors and helps round everything out, making this quite possibly, the best beer I have ever had in my entire life.

There is no hype surrounding this beer... It has earned it's legendary status.

03-22-2008 03:03:21 | More by adams82
Tilley4

Tennessee

I have to start by giving a big Thanks! to antzman for holding this 4 pack for me. You're awesome!

On a whim, I decided to crack the first of these open tonight and share with the wifey. It oozes out of the bottle deep space black with a very small caramel head. This looks very deep and dark and foreboding...

The heavenly aroma of coffee and chocolate rush my sense of smell as I inhale deeply. I've smelled great stouts before but this one is special...different somehow. Touches of bourbon intermingle with the chocolate and coffee giving this the best aroma of any beer ever..

I can't really expound on the hundreds of descriptions given to this legendary brew and I won't even try. It's fantastic...simply fantastic. Loads of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and even hints of vanilla assault the tastebuds as this one goes down and the wife and I instantly know we are in rare company.

I was expecting this to be good but not this good. I've heard the hype about this one for a while and couldn't believe that it could be that good. I was wrong. This is, without a doubt, the best Imperial Stout that I've ever had. Not because it's harder to get, not because of the hype. It just tastes, smells, looks, and feels better than the rest. The remaining 3 will be shared by the wife and I and maybe a few close friends as I don't expect to ever have my hands on this brew again. Thanks again, antzman, for making this happen..

03-22-2008 05:55:49 | More by Tilley4
J0EL

WOW...I bought 8 bottles of this beer before I even tasted it and I'm glad I did! Pours great, smells great (bourbon, vanilla, coffee, caramel), tastes great. I like to take a little swig of this beer and let it just sit in my mouth for a minute or two before I swallow. It's like an orgy of flavor all over my tongue!

Can't wait to taste it on tap at the brewery

04-03-2008 22:56:04 | More by J0EL
HopHobo

A-pours a deep brown/black with a 3 fingers head.

S-Smells of chocolate, vanilla and coffee...a very deep complex smell, many layers here.

T-Wowzer, this beer is amazing probably the best stout I've had to this point in my life. Taste is like the smell very complex, strong coffee and vanilla flavor with hints of bourban and chocolate. The alcohol is well hidden in the beer.

M-Has a nice mouthfeel very thick and creamy...this is how a stout should be.

D-So I've had this beer before on tap and in bottle I love this beer so much I would like to freeze it into ice cubes and skate on it. I could drink it all day/night long. Probably not a good hot weather beer...but here in the cold North its perfect!!!

04-10-2008 15:18:56 | More by HopHobo
bassmantin

I'm drinking the 2008 vintage about a month after its release. I recently had a vertical with the 2007, and in my opinion, this beer does not age well. I think it loses a lot of the great coffee taste. Most stouts age well because they mellow, but the greatness of the KBS is its strong, harsh, coffee malts, and those fade over time. Drink it fresh. Now to the review.

The color is a very dark brown with a nice little tan head. The smell is overpowering. It has that strong coffee flavor of the BS, but the added bourbon aroma is delicious. The taste lives up to everything the smell promises. The bourbon is so delicious... strong oak notes, vanilla, and general bourbon overtones. Oh my, what a unique beer.

The alcohol is also quite well-concealed given that this is a 10% beer. This greatly helps the drinkability.

I swear, I think this beer is perfect. You must try it.

04-11-2008 01:58:57 | More by bassmantin
jessecarr

On Tap at Andy's Corner with my dudes-- hopflop and JM.

This was the first beer I had on the Founder's tap night at Andy's Corner. I was trying to think of a metaphor for this beer, something to compare the complexity, luxury, and beauty of this beer. It's a true wonder. I told my fellow-Geeks that this was one of the best beers I've ever tasted--not necessarily because it's the "best" stout or the "best" whatever other category. This beer is it's own genre.

If this sounds like it's a bit gushing, well... it should be. The Kentucky Bourbon Stout has the appearance of other breakfast stouts--a tan-ish head and dark brown body--but the comparisons sort of stop there. The smell is truly wonderful. I kept smelling the glass over and over to catch the prominent bourbon scent. The bourbon is not overly-aggressive, and it fuses with the mocha and caramel scents as well. the head is minimal, the lacing is there, but the taste is what knocks this beer into its own stratosphere.

Upon the first sip, I was blown away--almost surprised. I expected something quite different, and I had to quickly take another sip. It has a prominent bourbon taste at first while the pour was still a bit cold. The hints of bourbon subside, however, once the glass warms. Then the nuances of caramel and stout emerge.

It is extremely balanced. The alcohol is not pungent or off-putting at all. It really is something to try and comprehend.

It takes a while to find the proper way to describe it. I still haven't figured out how. And that's a wonderful thing.

04-18-2008 18:21:56 | More by jessecarr
unholy2

I poured this dark oil into a corsendonk goblet.It produced no head at all with very little carb.I have had alot of stouts but this is the first one I had that taste and smell like coffee I mean it has no hints of anything else.Now I did have this at room temp so I don't know if that would really effect it but man when they say breakfast stout they were'nt kidding.This would go great with some bacon and egges.The next time I drink this it will be at breakfast

04-19-2008 19:18:13 | More by unholy2
DHGranstrand

Washington

Special thanks to tprokop7 for the KBS!!

Poured aggressively into a pounder produced a great 2" creamy light brown head.

Incredible nose of milk chocolate, espresso, bourbon and malt.

Tastes of bitter chocolate, strong coffee and licorice followed by bourbon and alcohol.

Velvety liquid with a myriad of complex flavors swirling around.

I had to give this stout the highest ratings possible. There is nothing you could do to improve on this beer short of having more of them! Simply incredible! No hype here, just incredibly well-balanced and full flavored.

04-20-2008 22:07:28 | More by DHGranstrand
Jerzdevil1116

Had this on tap at Founders Brewery. Stopped there as part of my Dark Lord Day road trip. Served in a snifter.

A: Black opaque body. No head. Little to no carbonation visible.

S: Earthy, oaky, and full of coffee. Hints of bourbon and dark fruits (raisons).

T: Strong coffee presence. Slightly bitter. Nice notes of oak and boubon.

M: Full bodied. Slightly syrupy. Very smoothe.

D: Not a session beer by any means, but I could sip it from a snifter all night like a fine bourbon. I've had it in it's bottle form and wasn't thrilled. Enjoying it on tap opened my eyes to how good this beer really is.

05-13-2008 02:50:40 | More by Jerzdevil1116
hopflop

WOW! this beauty is unbelievable. Had on tap at andy's corner with fellow BA's jessecarr and jmscott.

This beer is amazing. poured into a over sized wine glass. With a nice thick chewy tan head.

It starts out with a great bourbon wood and coffee smell that is pungent and amazing. And the great smell remains in the glass well after the beer is gone.

The taste of bourbon, wood and slight coffee hit the pallet and as this brew warms the taste of coffee and chocolate start to take over. So tasty and amazing.

This beer is just outright awesome. by far one of the best beers I've gotten the pleasure to try so far. I would love to have this available all the time. If you haven't tried this puppy yet do what you can to get some of this.

05-14-2008 23:54:18 | More by hopflop
stumac

I just wanna say up front that I had no idea before I tried this beer that this was gonna be my favorite Oatmeal Stout of all time...

pours up black as night with a big brown head. great lacing! the nose is composed of bourbon, dark malts, oak. taste is oh soooo good! magnificent bourbon, delicious chocolate, secret oak, tastey vanilla, warming oatmeal, a little alcohol spice. full as hell body! perfectly aged! drinking this beer with Tara Reid would be a perfect monday. I just don't want this beer to ever end!

09-03-2008 05:20:02 | More by stumac