Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,131
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,377 | Reviews: 2,855

Expensive but very worth it if you can find it

Drink one and you'll understand my rating. The alcohol hides behind the smooth flavor and finish.

This is the Greatest beer ever!

Best stout in the world. This one makes a stout lover out of anyone. It's that good.

KBS '15 was great. So great I sought out a case of it via a favor from a local distributor to man me their 1 case limit. Complements do not express the experience. Do not miss the chance to try it.

Tried this for the first time yesterday; loved it!

Cream of the crop currently. This is one of my favorite stouts. I had a chance to have it from tap and in the bottle. Both were satisfying. Hard to come by and there was a 1 bottle max per person, but I had the chance to snag a few.

Overall, great beer.

I absolutely love this stout. It's like drinking a chocolate/coffee/vanilla milkshake with a shot of sweet sweet bourbon in it. Absolutely fantastic and well done.

2015 release. Coffee flavored stout with that boozy kick and after taste of vanilla bourbon as it goes down your throat. This year did not disappoint at all and i'm already trying hard not to drink the rest in one sitting!

All i tasted was rich chocolate and bourbon. Never had this until now, I will seek it out every year. Soooo good!

Just had my first today...Best Imperial Stout I've had to date. Super happy I got a case!

Exceptional. Best beer I've ever had. So incredibly smooth....

Let me just say that I hate the after taste of bourbon. This beer starts to give you that aftertaste and then pours on chocolate to mask the bourbon and make it delicious. I'm nervous to say this but KBS is probably the best beer I've ever had.

Absolutely the best stout ever

On tap at House of Pizza. All I can say is this truly lives up to and transcends all the hype. This is honestly the best beer I've ever had. I will write a more formal review once my mind is capable... But for now I must continue to drink this godly brew.

2015, on tap and in bottle are both amazing (No hype required). I won't compare it to the other bourbon aged beers because it has its own unique way of doing things. To me the bourbon is present but it is more subtle and doesn't overwhelm the other flavors of chocolate and coffee. I do love the bourbon heavy beers as well, but KBS is much smoother and refined imo. Had a chance to meet Jeremy K. The brew master at a local seminar and local tapping. Smaller town in MN and was not crowded at all. Very laid back and humble about all his beers. I haven't rated a lot of good beers that I should have. I would say, don't pick a favorite. Also just because it's new and super rare and you got some, doesn't make it better or worse than those who have been perfecting their style and can make more of it. Beer isn't a hipster fashion trend it's been around a long time and will be for a long time.

Essentially the KBS is an enhanced version of the FBS.
A: Midnight black with thin tan like head.
S: Rich notes of dark roast coffee with chocolate and some malty sweetness. Definitely can smell the bourbon.
T: I can really detect the strong notes of coffee and chocolate. Tastes a bit boozy, but combined with the complexity of sweetness and chocolate goodness it is a home run.
M: Mild amount of carbonation, very full bodied mouthfeel.
O: This is an excellent beer, i'm glad to have finally tried it…it's a perfect 5 to me…the first beer i've ever given such a high mark!! Kudos to you Founders!!

Absolutely stellar. Full bodied and a finish that you wish would never end. World class for sure.

This beer lives up to all the hype....

Fantastic stout with great bourbon flavor. Definitely going to be on the look out for this one in the future

Simply put, the best imperial stout I've had!

Simply put, awesomeness in a bottle!!

Great beer, very thick and rich.

WONDERFUL TASTE. POURS LIKE A CHAMP!

Tastes like double crooked tree with a hint of coffee and vanilla

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company