Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,225
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,784 | Hads: 10,676

I purchased the beer at a local liquor store and poured into a pint glass. The appearance was really dark, almost black. The head was tan in color like espresso/mocha. The smell consisted of roasted chocolate, espresso and bourbon, with a hint of oakiness to it. The taste is very close to the smell... coffee / espresso / mocha / bourbon / malty flavor. The feel was a bit heavy and somewhat chewy. Overall, this is Founder's best offering in my opinion, just above their Breakfast Stout. Definitely worth trying! Cheers!

For years, I've wanted to try this gem, and despite my best efforts, I was never able to snag even a single bottle; but alas, this year I succeeded! Thanks to my friend Jake, who works at Vineyard Liquors in Plano, IL I was able to score a bottle of this and Firestone Walker's Parabola (cue squeal of delight!), and safe to say, this beer not only met but FAR exceeded my expectations. However, it's hard to really describe this beer because of how harmonious the flavors, aromas and textures play together, alas, this being a beer 'review', I shall sum it up as best I can.

Midnight black, aromas of mellow bourbon and chocolate; vanilla, coffee, bourbon and chocolate dance playfully and beautiful upon the palette.

Maybe it's shock, but that's the best I can do right now!
Some day, I would to trade / buy a bottle to sit on for a year.

Like vanilla bourbon. Holy shit that's amazing. Mouthfeel not as full as if expect but seems just right. I don't even get the coffee and chocolate notes. Which is a good thing because as I've said before: coffee- and/or chocolate-forward stouts are cliché.

Draft at World of Beer Easton, poured into a 5 oz. tasting glass.

With over 10k ratings, there really isn't anything new or novel I can say about this beer. A fantastic stout with prominent flavors of coffee and bourbon. If you haven't had it, give it a try. It's one worth crossing off your list.

After a 6 year vertical I can say that this is best fresh to one year old. After that the flavors fall off some, but they are all still very good. I like KBS aged about 6 months as the coffee has faded some and the coffee is taking over.

I had the pleasure of having this on tap up at Moe's in Mass. Absolutely a fantastic beer. Ive always been a fan of the breakfast stout and had KBS in a bottle once but having it on draft... not much comes close.

Appearance: Very dark. opaque and has a brilliant dark brown head to it. not a ton of carbonation coming off

Smell: Quite well balanced. The main players here are coffee and bourbon. there is a nice hint of chocolate

Taste: This is where having it on tap makes a huge difference. So it starts off with coffee and bourbon then transitions to a smooth chocolate with maybe a hint of vanilla. The end is quite smooth with more bourbon woody coffee and an almost creamy hint. a good amount of sweetness to deal with the bourbon and covers the alcohol which you cant taste at all. You can keep sipping on this all day long

Mouth feel: almost viscous and super pleasant. thick and creamy. hits the mouth and coats the tongue. Perfect for a stout

Overall: If i didnt have to drive, i would have sat there all night getting stupid. a really fantastic beer; one which i can not say enough good things about. Would put it in the top 5 if not top 3 with Heady and World Wide. Just a beautiful beer and if you ever have a chance to try it, sell your first born or whatever, just do it!

Amazing beer. Great coffee/chocolate and slight oak taste from draft. Alcohol isn't over the top by any means but it hits you.

Very hard to find, even in MI. Goes from $8-15 a bottle from stores. On tap in very select locations. I paid $10 for a 10oz draft.

Absolutely perfect beer. There isn't another on the market that can replicate this. I have tried in homebrewing but can't come close.....but who should expect to get close to such a great brewery?

I really love this beer. Its hard to find though. I drink these in the morning. This is one of those beers you start to drink cold but it warms and it still tastes just as good. color is perfect. Smell is incredible. Tastes like bourbon and i like that. Mouthfeel is like a party in your mouth. You gotta love this beer. Pick it up when you can.

Someone gifted me a bottle of this years release yesterday. Couldn't take it any longer and cracked it open today. Poured like the old oil out of my Toyota. Smells like a dream. Coffee, Chocolate, Bourbon and Vanilla explosion. The coffee takes the front seat on the taste. There is just enough chocolate and bourbon there to compliment things. The alcohol kick is fabulous and changes as the beer warms. I sipped this one as long as I could.

12oz Bottle.

Appearance - Jet black.

Smell - Bourbon and vanilla. Wow!!

Taste - Vanilla, coffee, bourbon and chocolate malts. Awesome!!

Feel - Perfect carbonation. Low attenuation. Thick and chewy yet drinkable!

Overall - One of the very best BBS I've ever had. Highly recommended!

Grade (A+)

Editing to add a review just had on draft.
pouts a nice just black with a little dark drown head. leaves a nice lacing.

smells of coffee, chocolate some bourbon. very pleasing.

taste is phenomenal. a little coffee, chocolate caramel a little trace of bourbon.

smooth as silk a little light but wow.

Ias much as i liked this in a bottle to have on draft is amazing. it is an orgasm in a glass. easily in my top 3 favorite beers

Yes, I am calling this beer perfect. I cannot get over how all of the wonderful flavors blend together to create such a unique experience. My initial taste was bourbon, but as the beer warmed more and more flavors came to light, especially malt and chocolate. I found one bottle, but I need to find at least one more before this goes away for the year, I'd like to age it some and taste the results. Smooth, clean, fresh. As the description says, this is not simply barrel aged breakfast stout, this is an entirely different beer. An amazing experience.

Bottle poured into a snifter

This is always one of the most hyped/limited beers out there in my area (RVA). I even went to the big box total wine the day it was supposed to be delivered and the manager told me they were only getting 1 case (1 bottle per person). imagine my surprise to find it on draft at Brew (chester, VA). Now I know what all the hype is about.

Well, we'll, well. KBS...must be.... Unicorn blood. Elixir of Life! Holy water. Water from the fountain of youth. Perfection. All I can say is, you have to try it for your self. Perfectly balanced stout. When you drink it the heavens of your senses open up. No too much or too little of anything. Coffee.... Vanilla.... CHOCOLATE.... Simultaneously

I hate to give a beer a perfect score especially after it being the 2nd beer I am reviewing on BA but I have had my fair share and I know a good, perfectly amazing beer when I try one. And this is it.

A: Pours still with lacy dark chocolate pecan colors and thin head that edges to the side of the glass.

S: Smokes the nose with intake of tobacco, smokiness, chocolate and staled bourbon essence.

T: Light and silky while cold with burnt coco flavors, maybe some toasty marsh mellows, finishes on the taste buds with a smooth flavor of bourbon as it warms up, hints of pecans and even darker chocolate.

M: Still as the black night, steady, thick but ready to go down perfectly from start to finish.

O: This beer changed my way of thinking, experiencing and most likely brewing beers. A style unique but does not shun anyone from enjoying and experiencing a very delicious stout.

Thank you, thank you....

The Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the second best stout I have ever had next to the Bourbon County Coffee. Nice flavour all the way through and is remarkably smooth. Although the alcohol content is high, the taste is really light. This is a stout I could drink a bunch of as opposed to the coffe which is more if a one and done.

Been waiting to try this beer for over a year. I am not really a stout fan. This beer is deserving of a 5 rating. It's everything I was hoping it would be.

I do not fan boy a lot of beer, but for me, this is as good as it gets.

This beer pours darker than most any beer I have seen. The color resides somewhere between french press coffee, and oil. If poured in a tulip glass the edges reflect a beautiful tinge of mahogany.

The smell is unreal. This beer is 11.2abv, and you can smell a little bit of alcohol. Most of the aroma from beer rests around roasted flavors, peaking around bitternotes with flavors of coffee and oak, and sweet notes with touches of cream and molasses.

Taste is out of this world. When served chilled your roasted barleys and chocolates pop along with bitter notes of american hops. The aromas of hop flavors are suppressed between coffee and cocoa notes, but the bitterness is still there bringing out some of the sweeter tastes of malted milk, and cream. At a more cellar temp. this beer will bust out fruity elements hinting at notes of wild blackberry. Like I said before, the alcohol still supplies a noticeable bite on the back end.

Mouthfeel is perfectly weighted drifting slowly over all plains of the tongue dancing ever so slightly between savory and sweet tastes. Viscosity looks a lot heavier than it actually is, but this comes as a relief in the end as the flavors are so complex a quick finish is most likely favored to ensure all elements of the beer can be enjoyed. (just my opinion, may be total bullshit.)

Overall, this beer is the only beer I would go broke for. It only comes once a year, and it is by far the most consistent and satisfying beer that founders currently produces. If you get a chance, enjoy this beer with a friend, but beware, you may never experience something this good again.

Perfection!!!! And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like dark heavy beers.
My buddy at the liquor store was able to hold one bottle for me. It took more than a year to finally get my hands on it and it sure did not disappoint. It was definitely worth the $20 I paid for it. And that was a bargain considering it sells for $30 and it takes years to even get.

Pours very black with touch of brown, nice thick dark tan head.

Smells delicious, chocolaty, roasted coffee, a little vanilla and a little bourbon.

Taste is super, super, awesome. Excellent barrel ageing. The dark chocolate dominates and the heat from the alcohol is a perfect compliment to the smooth bourbon flavor. By far the best barrel age stout. True excellence!

Mouth-feel is smooth and balanced and the bitter from the dark chocolate blends perfect with the peppery warmth at the finish.

Overall, this beer just, KILLS IT! Definitely worthy of your soul. What else can I say,... well if I were you I'd do whatever it takes to get your mouth on this one.

This was my favorite beer until I got to taste CBS. Everything you get in a good breakfast stout...coffee, vanilla, chocolate, plus bourbon. The thing is I don't think they are using the store brand coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. The ingredients all taste wonderful and blend together to make the spectacular concoction that is KBS. It's one of those few stouts that every sip taste different than the one before thanks to all of the layers of flavors this beer gives to us.

This review covers a fresh bottle of the 2014 release. Shamrock Liquors in Orlando FL hooked me up with two. Thanks!

It comes out viscous and black, like motor oil. Looking around the edges of my snifter glass, there's a -little- bit of reddening in the light, but not much. There's no head to speak of but some khaki bubbles around the rim. The nose is bold with chocolate , vanilla, coffee beans, and wood from the bourbon barrel aging. These notes are in harmony with each other -- each comes through in a big way but nothing overpowers the rest. When tasting it, the sweetness of the vanilla plays off the natural bitterness of the coffee and chocolate for a balance of flavors, putting each ingredient on a pedestal to speak for itself. The oak and bourbon lend a secondary profile of woodsiness, burned toast, and molasses to make this beer an absolute pleasure to drink, and it all goes down creamy and smooth. The alcohol is absolutely undetectable. I wanted to age my other bottle, but I don't know if I can keep myself from cracking it open.

Enjoyed on tap from a snifter at Plan B in Simsbury, CT. I didn't want to go right out with all 5s for this review, but truthfully could find nothing to critique that wasn't on-par and expected in the style. It poured black as pitch with a cocoa-colored head. The nose is complex with coffee and vanilla notes right up front preparing my palate for deliciousness. And delicious it was, with all the roasted coffee at first, followed by the sweetness from the bourbon-barrel aging and malts. An outstanding stout, worthy of 100 rating.

What can I say this is the best stout ever. Thick, heavy, delicious, complex, may cure brain damage, water on the knee, and if made in large enough quantity, may be the conduit for world peace. Praise the lord and pass the KBS. More words needed, but words will only keep me from waiting for the first week in April when KBS is sold for all of 5 or 6 days.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company