1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,025 | Reviews: 2,408 | Show All Ratings:
scottyg354

I want to start this off by saying many hyped beers really don't live up to the hype! Fortunately there is founders. I've been looking for a KBS for a while and scored one Wednesday night. Popped it open Thanksgiving and split it with my dad.

A: Black as black can be, we help up to light there is not see through this, a little mahagony around the edges but that is it. Nice little head that disappates, nice lacing.

S: Bourbon, Oak, Smoky Chocolate, Roasted Malts. Excellenc

T: The bourbon was not to overpowering upfront in this one, it was more on the back end which is great, because I also like to taste my stout along with the bourbon notes. Espresso, chocolate and toast were very noticable. Slightly malty and a mild hop character for a beer that is supposed to be 70 IBU's

M:Very Light carbonation, smooth and heavy.

O: Great, this is a big beer so you have to like that, but this does not disappoint one bit. If you have a chance grab up one or two of these. You won't regret it!!!

11-25-2011 15:24:28 | More by scottyg354
tsauce2

Indiana

P: 12 fl oz bottle in to a DFH snifter.

A: SRM is black. Opaque. Head is cocoa, 1 in, dissipates to cover top of the beer. Medium carbonation. Heavy lacing.

S: Huge dark roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, caramel, bourbon/booze, and light hops.

T: Dark roast malt, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, light hops and barrel aging/oak, light sweetness. Aftertaste is malty, slightly bittered chocolate, coffee, booze.

M: Full body. Viscous. Ingredients and carbonation combine to create an extremely creamy and smooth feel. Alcohol clears the palate/feel on the aftertaste a bit. Finished semi dry.

O: One of the best, if not the best, beers I have ever had. The combination of the ingredients is flawless. Huge coffee notes with the chocolate and bourbon give such great flavor and feel to this beer. A shame it only comes out once a year. Will always buy this beer, as much of it as I can.

01-03-2012 13:46:47 | More by tsauce2
shadwrack

Ok so I'm reviewing this beer now in tears. A tragic thing just happened in my kitchen. I have some of my rare saved beers hidden away in the back of the fridge. I was rooting around cleaning out old food containers when I hooked the btl cap of my last KBS. It fell out hit the floor and began to bleed coffee chocolate stout goodness. I actually didn't loose too much but I wasn't prepared to drink this particular bottle of beer as you can imagine. There's no special celebrations going on other than the fact that I just got my 4 month old son to fall asleep for the night. So anyway, here I am drinking what I believe to be one of the greatest beers ever conceived/created/brewed/served/sold.
I received a four pack of the KBS as a wedding present from my best man back on Halloween 2009. We each drank one before I was wed. I drank the 3rd one when my son was born and now I drink the last on on a fluke. BUT GOD DAMN THIS IS GOOD ALE!
I'm not going to break it down for you, describing all the intricate flavors and complex tastes...no I'm just going to tell you to go out and find some, try it, love it. The 4 pack I got came from eBay. My best bud tracked it down and paid $15 a btl...so that's $60 for 4 12 ounce bottles of this stuff!

01-25-2012 00:45:07 | More by shadwrack
antoines15

Indiana

straight 5's, perfection in a glass. Every single time that I have this beer I gain more of an appreciation for it.

A: Dark chocolate with a beautiful tan head, great lacing, just very nice.

S: Huge coffee, chocolate, roastiness, bourbon, everything meshes so well together.

T: Wow! that pretty much sums up this beer, its so smooth and the bourbon is rich and delicious. Coffee and bourbon blended together and it makes for a greta tasting experience.

M: Again, super creamy and every sip is something to savor.

O: This beer deserves all of the accolades it gets. Can't wait to get some more this March.

01-29-2012 23:55:06 | More by antoines15
Heatwave33

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Black with a dark brown head.

Smell: Bourbon, chocolate, coffee and oak.

Taste: Same as the aroma. AMAZING!

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, smooth with a light dry finish.

Overall: Is this 11% ABV?! It's so very well balanced and smooth I couldn't tell at all. This is probably one of the best beers I have ever had. Absolutely could not fin anything wrong with it. This brew does nothing but a whole lot of right! Cheers.

02-04-2012 00:39:37 | More by Heatwave33
travMI13

Figured I should do a formal review of this one, finally. 2011 vintage. Bottled on 2/25/11. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter.

A: Black as night with a half-finger of tan head that recedes quickly. Fantastic lacing. Completely opaque, even around the edges. Whoa. I never realized how dark this is.

S: A perfect blend of chocolate, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Very sweet and decadent smelling, like chocolate cake.

T: Dark chocolate, with hints of oak, bourbon, coffee, and vanilla mixed in. The bourbon flavor is incredibly mild and takes a backseat to the chocolate and the coffee. This is like drinking a chocolate cake. I would probably even call it liquid sex.

M: Thick, sweet, and lightly carbonated. The flavor coats the tongue and lingers for quite a while. The bitterness from the coffee really balances out the lingering chocolate quite nicely.

O: Quite simply, if not my favorite beer, this is one of my favorite beers of all time. Every time I drink it, I am blown away. In all honesty, if a brewer can make a better beer than this, I don't believe I have had it. Deserving of the all the hype and praise it receives. Founders absolutely kills this barrel-aged imperial stout.

02-05-2012 02:59:29 | More by travMI13
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

Decided it was time to crack open a KBS finally after securing my summer internship. Bottled on 2-25-11.

A- Pours and appears exactly like it's brothers FIS and FBS. Less head than the other two with only a slight hint of chocolate colored bubbles on the top that barely hang around 30 seconds. Black as night and good lacing.

S- Complex and delicious as all get out. Prominent chocolate and sweet scents intermingled with vanilla and bourbon tones. Hints of coffee flavors are also present.

T- Tons of dark malts and roasts up front. Chocolate and coffee intermingle for usual breakfast stout flavor. Bourbon and hints of vanilla kick in next. They compliment the previous flavors well. A slight booziness is in there too. Aftertaste is of mainly dark roasts.

M- Creamy, thick, and heavy. The feel for this one is exactly what one would expect for the flavor profile of this brew. Little carbonation adds to the weighty feel.

Overall, this a terribly good beer. Honestly, I was a little let down after hearing so much about this beer. That being said, it is still among the best I've ever had.

03-04-2012 02:27:15 | More by boilermakerbrew
Number45forever

Vermont

Listen. I love beer, I love craft beer. I get deeper and deeper into this web of delight each day. I've read about KBS. The stories...too good to be true. There's just no way.

Yesterday, on the Ides of March, I toasted Caeser's memory by purchasing 28 bottles of KBS from my local shop. A beer-acle. Lord save me, for I may never see another day so great.

After all this time: my first KBS. I opened one tonight.

It pours an unnatural black. No beverage can be this dark, this transcendently deep, dank and bottomless. How can this be?

This beer smells better than anything else I've ever smelled. I smell it, and I think Mozart. Spine tingling. The definition of balance. Coffee, chocolate, bourbon. Not one note out of place, not one phrase misplaced. Harmony.

The taste dances. Each sip a symphony of fireworks in your mouth. Such greatness. How will any other beer live up? It's all there. Nothing missing. No thought of "this is great, I wish it just had..." No, this is whole. A finished piece.

Moutfeel. Not too thick. Not too thin. Coats just enough, finishes clean. This is a treat.

Overall. Well, how can any beer stack up to this. KBS. I love this beer. I will always remember my first. Sitting motionless for 45 minutes in my seat, savoring each sip. Afraid to move. Contemplating life. What was your journey to KBS? Mine has been a ride. I can't argue with the path, I know the culmination of KBS was worth any price.

Cheers to KBS! To Founders! What a beer.

03-17-2012 02:49:23 | More by Number45forever
TomTwanks

Oh the infamous KBS, what a treat. Too bad I practically had to give a testicle to get some! Well, it was worth it...
Pours a deep deep black with a dark mocha head.This is a great start...
Smell - Vanilla, bourbon, coffee grounds, sweet chocolate, roasted malt...in that order for the most part. Just outstanding.
Taste - Very similar to the nose, but wow so integrated. I mean, its so balanced. Def the most balanced stout I've ever had. So good. It would be hard to top this in any genre or beer. Holy shit, no wonder why assholes chase the truck for this...screw it I'm gonna rob the truck driver!
Mouthful - So smooth, so complex, so inviting you for another sip. Medium to heavy. Fantastic

Overall - don't read this, get this is you can. Founders did it again...between GI and Founder's barrel work, theres no need to move from the midwest! Stunning world class beer

03-17-2012 04:17:39 | More by TomTwanks
Zachb4au

Alabama

This is the second year in a row I've had KBS. I had to go to Georgia to get it last year, but it came to Alabama this year.

A-Black as night, in the best possible way.

S-Coffee, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla. It smells amazing.

T-Roasty, with great notes of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and roasted nuts. All the flovors harmonize in amazing fashion. I also pick up some good bitterness, and a bit of boozy warmth. No complaints, as close to perfect as possible.

M-Thick and viscous, almost chewy.

O-As good a beer as I've had. I'm partial to all things bourbon barrel aged and this is as good or better than any. KBS is worth the effort and wait to get it.

03-17-2012 18:06:47 | More by Zachb4au
STKPICR0720

Alabama

Bottle date 2/17/12

Wow this brew is amazing. Well worth getting no matter what it takes. The alcohol is prevalent but hidden well. Boozy to the nose but wow great mouth feel. I would love to drink this brew at least a couple times a week if my waistline and budget could cover it. A truly phenomenal brew hats off to Founder's well done, well done.

Cheers

03-18-2012 17:22:41 | More by STKPICR0720
Pantera10

A: pours black and thick like 20000 mile 10w40. Looks like a stout should.

S:coffee,chocolate,vanilla,bourbon. Inviting to say the least.

T:wow wow wow! A lot going on here! Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and a little vanilla on the finish. Smooth sipper especially considering the 11%.

M:thick, creamy, very full-bodied. Perfect.

O: worthy of the hype: if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one, a must have. I was lucky enough to acquire 3. This stuff ain't for sharing.

03-25-2012 16:18:52 | More by Pantera10
sevenarts

A: Dark brownish black, small head that quickly dissipates and leaves behind some modest lacing.

S: Rich bourbony alcohol, dark coffee, very sweet and roasty.

T/M: The coffee and the bourbon from the barrel aging blend together so well. The bourbon flavors come through clearly but aren't overpowering at all. Sweet up front followed by the bitterness of the coffee. It goes down so smooth and creamy. The alcohol becomes just a little more prominent as it warms, adding a pleasantly warming sensation to the follow-through.

O: This is just amazing. Delicious, creamy, layered, and very easy-drinking. Its hype is very much justified, though I wish I could get more.

03-25-2012 22:07:58 | More by sevenarts
spartanjd

2012 vintage, after much searching from all over Chicago was finally able to get my hands on one.
Appearance: pours oil black with a slight head disappears quickly
Smell: Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla. subdued but rich.
Taste: AMAZING more of the chocolate, bourbon, alcohol, so smooth goes down great.
Mouthfeel: smooth coats the mouth, feels delightful relaxing to drink.
Overall: completely lived up to the hype, overall just an amazing beer so glad I got my hands on a bottle.

03-27-2012 02:06:43 | More by spartanjd
Cheezus

Kentucky

A - Pours like motor oil, pitch black with a small, dark tan head.

S - Immediately, the bourbon is the strongest notable scent, underneath is the hint of coffee and chocolate.

T - Even though the bourbon is the most powerful smell, it is not the most overwhelming taste. It's a very well blend of the three main ingredients.

M- On the tip of the tongue you get the chocolate, the sides of your tongue are taken back by the coffee and bourbon mix. The aftertaste is a hint of bourbon, like one would get from a bourbon on the rocks.

03-27-2012 04:24:27 | More by Cheezus
h00dak

I think that someone supposing to rate any part of this beer much less than perfect would be doing so simply for dramatic effect. Every aspect of this beer is phenomenal.

I finally had the opportunity to buy two bottles of this in Grand Rapids and did so promptly. I'm not one to buy into hype and typically go against the grain when it comes to things that are trendy and popular. This beer is definitely trendy in the craft beer world and you are considered some sort of loser if you haven't had it.

The taste is multi-dimensional and I am pretty sure there are several more dimensions beyond the roasty, woody, chocolatey, bourbon.... the list goes on.

I'm not going to camp or pay $50 for a bottle of this but I wouldn't think less of someone who did. This beer is one of a kind and is simply amazing.

04-02-2012 01:22:49 | More by h00dak
emeline

Rhode Island

Today, a bottle fell into my hands thanks to the beer guy at Charleston Wines and Spirits. In great anticipation, I had to pour it tonight.

KBS pours a dark, deep red, color only visible in bright light and in the shadow of the glass. Barely any carbonation, just a thin ring of mocha bubbles at the rim, and a faint hint of air on the surface.

The smell is amazing. Vanilla, bourbon are the boldest, with just a faint hint of maple and roast.

The mouthfeel is the first thing you'll notice. Heavy and syrupy, the richness of the beer will coat your mouth and tongue with an amazing sheen of flavors.

KBS tastes like candy, in a way that no candy could possibly match. The bourbon is up front, definitely, followed by vanilla, the darkest of chocolates, a mapley flavor, and smoke, a mix of bacon and a fine cigar.

Finishing this richness is a dry, bourbon taste, leaving almost a caramel finish in the mouth. The taste sticks around, and would be well complimented with some vanilla bean ice cream and/or a fine cigar.

Totally worth the hype. Rich without being too sweet. Bold without being boozy. Beautiful color, texture and mouthfeel. 5/5, across the board.

04-06-2012 23:37:51 | More by emeline
buffettfan

Arizona

My uncle brought one of these to Arizona for me to have, thanks to Uncle Gary!!!

Poured from the bottle, into large snifter. Poured a thick black, not a lot of carbonation, but it was thick, tan, almost brown.

Smell was amazing! Complex, lots of caramel, vanilla, and bourbon, with some chocolate/coffee.

Taste was more then what I was expecting from the aroma. Every bit as complex as the smell, and then some. Strong woody bourbon flavor, with a dark roasted coffee flavor, and chocolate throughout.

Very smooth drinking beer for a 10%+ complex beer! Sorry I only had one!

This beer is truly a work of art, is all I have to say! Simply amazing beer! (my first perfect score!)

04-09-2012 14:57:18 | More by buffettfan
threeviews

Poured from a 12oz bottle (at just below room temperature, bottled on date: 2/17/12) into a Libbey 14oz snifter.

A- An aggressive pour yields a viscous, motor oil black fluid with a 1+ finger, brown head which dissipates quickly. Pronounced (as expected) alcohol legs coating the glass. Any light that penetrates the curves of the glass (as consumed) reveals a deep, ruby red hue.

S- Chocolate, coffee and bourbon (which contains the following in any order): vanilla, toffee, oak, toasted nuts and some dark fruits (like raisins) thrown in for good measure.

M- Much like the appearance, oily and slick...just the way a bourbon whiskey coats the toungue, but the 70 IBU's leave a dry woody finish leaving you with (dare I say) the need for another sip...at 11.2%ABV, that can get dangerous rather quickly. Strangely drinkable for a brew of this magnitude.

O- Is it beer/chocolate/bourbon, chocolate/bourbon/beer or bourbon/beer/chocolate? Hard to tell, but this is one complex brew and blurs the lines between beer and spirit...a sipper for sure. Another homerun from a brewery (I think) that can do "no wrong."

This is a must for beer geeks, but certainly not for the casual observer. My only recommendation is (as I have read) that this beer is to be enjoyed poured in a snifter glass at (or just below) room temperature. I'm certainly happy I have a few more bottles on hand to savor.

04-13-2012 02:17:14 | More by threeviews
JohnnyMc

I love Founders, I have been wanting to try this forever and I finally got 6 bottles luckily!

So first off, believe it or not...the hype is actually true this is a phenomenal beer.

This pours out like a thick syrup and it completely pitch black almost like motor oil with a very small mocha, dark brown head.

The aroma is packed with chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, bourbon and caramel.

The taste follows very much the same way. Right off the bat it's kinda sweet with the vanilla and caramel taste and then that fades to the chocolate and dark coffee with roasted malts and then finishes with a bourbon burn and a slight bitterness.

Extremely fully bodied and creamy, this is almost too easy to drink, but there is a definite alcohol burn. You can't really taste it as much, but you can definitely feel it. I'm letting 2 bottles age to see how this mellows out.

Another great beer from Founders!!

05-03-2012 17:02:19 | More by JohnnyMc
lnashsig

#BOTG 67! A pretty special one...2012 KBS! My triple header ending of tonight, something to sip on for sure. Poured from bottle into my CBS snifter. Pours a pitch black motor oil thickness, brown tan head that bubbles up like a tarpit from the glass. Beautiful. A tan ring settles around the circumference of the glass. Smell- amazing. Sweet molasses, caramel, honey, chocolate. Just absolutely decadent. Maybe a little bit of cinnamon. Taste- buttery caramel, molasses, spicy tobacco reminds me of Red Man from my HS baseball days. Sweet bourbon, espresso roast finishes the end. Wow. This is absolutely mind boggling good. This is so smooth, the bourbon flavor is absolutely present, but this shows no booze at all. I'm glad to have had the chance to taste this (thanks Eric!), and will seek it out again. World class, lives up to the hype. This is a home run, a perfect 5.0.

06-14-2012 00:19:37 | More by lnashsig
RandyKemka

I have had this beer both on tap and 12oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It pours very dark and fairly thick. A half inch of head rests on top.

S - I get the coffee, bourbon and vanilla that is advertised.

T - AWESOME, I get a hint of coffee with a nice bourbon finish. The

M - Full and creamy

O - This beer is one of the best, it's so sad that it is so hard to get. Founders once again does an outstanding job with an outstanding brew.

06-25-2012 17:13:59 | More by RandyKemka
tofuspeedstar

Got it in a trade with a local.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Looks like any other stout, dark, caramel, almost coke colored.
S: FANFREAKINGTASTIC, Coffee, Vanilla, if this was an air freshener I'd buy it.
T: In law school terms...180 180 180 180 180 180 180 180 (meaning 99th percentile on the LSAT) this is a MUST HAVE for any Beer enthusiast.
M: It lets you know it's a big beer, not too carbonated. Just perfect.
O: 100, this is probably the best beer I've ever had so far in my two years of craft beer drinking.

08-29-2012 20:27:28 | More by tofuspeedstar
sjones5045

Well, this is about as perfect as you can get. Founders perfected the bourbon barrel beer with this. It pours jet black with a minimal brownish head that fades quickly. Unless a stout is hopped up on nitro I guess this is par for the course. The appearance is probable the only thing regular about this beer.

The smell is crazy with tons of chocolate and sweet bourbon that hits you early. As the beer breaths it remains the same. Almost smells like a dessert beer.

The taste is heaven in a glass. The chocolate gets you first, then a bit of vanilla with a great bourbon sweetness that is consistent and bold. Smooth and silky are the words that come to mind while drinking this. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, but there is enough there to give a nice burn in the throat.

Honestly, I think I appreciate this beer more as I've tried so many others. I feel that all the other bourbon stouts hit you with tons of bourbon taste upfront. And what separates this from the others is that somehow Founders creates a very even taste all the way through. When drinking the other top bourbon stouts it seems like it all hits you at once rather than creating a unique balanced flavor. There may not be a wide variety of flavors here, but the ones that are here are so craft-fully blended and there really isn't another beer I've tried that can accomplish this. World class, and this is the reigning champion of the beer world as far as I'm concerned. If you really separate yourself from the hype and concentrate on the beer, I defy anyone to find a bourbon beer as well balanced as this. It's worth the drive to Michigan for the release every year.

01-01-2013 03:05:59 | More by sjones5045
fitrock2112

Poured the Kentucky Breakfast Stout into a Belgian Tulip

A - The beautiful imperial stout is black as midnight with no light getting through. Poured aggressively with a half finger of mocha head. Did I say beautiful..?

S - The best smelling beer I've had the pleasure of smelling. Mocha chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and slight aroma of bourbon. I am also getting vanilla, a little toffee some char as well. First class all the way.

T - Wow, the chocolate bourbon ball explodes on first taste, coffee, roasted nuts, malts. This is unbelievable, just simply the best and smoothest barrel aged beer I've ever had the luxury of tasting. I can on and on about this beer, but you must do yourself a favor if you have not had this beer, seek it out and relax and enjoy a true winner.

M - Quite simply the smoothest, richest beer, heavy mouthfeel with just enough carbonation. Excellent stuff here my friend.

O - The benchmark, by all other beers should be judged. Many have tried, but no one has come close to Founders barrel aged beers. The first and probably only perfect score from me. A true classic. Worth all the hype and then some. Cheers !!!

01-23-2013 01:18:27 | More by fitrock2112