Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,237
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,787 | Hads: 10,695

12oz Bottle.

Appearance - Jet black.

Smell - Bourbon and vanilla. Wow!!

Taste - Vanilla, coffee, bourbon and chocolate malts. Awesome!!

Feel - Perfect carbonation. Low attenuation. Thick and chewy yet drinkable!

Overall - One of the very best BBS I've ever had. Highly recommended!

Grade (A+)

Editing to add a review just had on draft.
pouts a nice just black with a little dark drown head. leaves a nice lacing.

smells of coffee, chocolate some bourbon. very pleasing.

taste is phenomenal. a little coffee, chocolate caramel a little trace of bourbon.

smooth as silk a little light but wow.

Ias much as i liked this in a bottle to have on draft is amazing. it is an orgasm in a glass. easily in my top 3 favorite beers

Yes, I am calling this beer perfect. I cannot get over how all of the wonderful flavors blend together to create such a unique experience. My initial taste was bourbon, but as the beer warmed more and more flavors came to light, especially malt and chocolate. I found one bottle, but I need to find at least one more before this goes away for the year, I'd like to age it some and taste the results. Smooth, clean, fresh. As the description says, this is not simply barrel aged breakfast stout, this is an entirely different beer. An amazing experience.

Bottle poured into a snifter

This is always one of the most hyped/limited beers out there in my area (RVA). I even went to the big box total wine the day it was supposed to be delivered and the manager told me they were only getting 1 case (1 bottle per person). imagine my surprise to find it on draft at Brew (chester, VA). Now I know what all the hype is about.

Well, we'll, well. KBS...must be.... Unicorn blood. Elixir of Life! Holy water. Water from the fountain of youth. Perfection. All I can say is, you have to try it for your self. Perfectly balanced stout. When you drink it the heavens of your senses open up. No too much or too little of anything. Coffee.... Vanilla.... CHOCOLATE.... Simultaneously

I hate to give a beer a perfect score especially after it being the 2nd beer I am reviewing on BA but I have had my fair share and I know a good, perfectly amazing beer when I try one. And this is it.

A: Pours still with lacy dark chocolate pecan colors and thin head that edges to the side of the glass.

S: Smokes the nose with intake of tobacco, smokiness, chocolate and staled bourbon essence.

T: Light and silky while cold with burnt coco flavors, maybe some toasty marsh mellows, finishes on the taste buds with a smooth flavor of bourbon as it warms up, hints of pecans and even darker chocolate.

M: Still as the black night, steady, thick but ready to go down perfectly from start to finish.

O: This beer changed my way of thinking, experiencing and most likely brewing beers. A style unique but does not shun anyone from enjoying and experiencing a very delicious stout.

Thank you, thank you....

The Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the second best stout I have ever had next to the Bourbon County Coffee. Nice flavour all the way through and is remarkably smooth. Although the alcohol content is high, the taste is really light. This is a stout I could drink a bunch of as opposed to the coffe which is more if a one and done.

Been waiting to try this beer for over a year. I am not really a stout fan. This beer is deserving of a 5 rating. It's everything I was hoping it would be.

I do not fan boy a lot of beer, but for me, this is as good as it gets.

This beer pours darker than most any beer I have seen. The color resides somewhere between french press coffee, and oil. If poured in a tulip glass the edges reflect a beautiful tinge of mahogany.

The smell is unreal. This beer is 11.2abv, and you can smell a little bit of alcohol. Most of the aroma from beer rests around roasted flavors, peaking around bitternotes with flavors of coffee and oak, and sweet notes with touches of cream and molasses.

Taste is out of this world. When served chilled your roasted barleys and chocolates pop along with bitter notes of american hops. The aromas of hop flavors are suppressed between coffee and cocoa notes, but the bitterness is still there bringing out some of the sweeter tastes of malted milk, and cream. At a more cellar temp. this beer will bust out fruity elements hinting at notes of wild blackberry. Like I said before, the alcohol still supplies a noticeable bite on the back end.

Mouthfeel is perfectly weighted drifting slowly over all plains of the tongue dancing ever so slightly between savory and sweet tastes. Viscosity looks a lot heavier than it actually is, but this comes as a relief in the end as the flavors are so complex a quick finish is most likely favored to ensure all elements of the beer can be enjoyed. (just my opinion, may be total bullshit.)

Overall, this beer is the only beer I would go broke for. It only comes once a year, and it is by far the most consistent and satisfying beer that founders currently produces. If you get a chance, enjoy this beer with a friend, but beware, you may never experience something this good again.

Perfection!!!! And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like dark heavy beers.
My buddy at the liquor store was able to hold one bottle for me. It took more than a year to finally get my hands on it and it sure did not disappoint. It was definitely worth the $20 I paid for it. And that was a bargain considering it sells for $30 and it takes years to even get.

Pours very black with touch of brown, nice thick dark tan head.

Smells delicious, chocolaty, roasted coffee, a little vanilla and a little bourbon.

Taste is super, super, awesome. Excellent barrel ageing. The dark chocolate dominates and the heat from the alcohol is a perfect compliment to the smooth bourbon flavor. By far the best barrel age stout. True excellence!

Mouth-feel is smooth and balanced and the bitter from the dark chocolate blends perfect with the peppery warmth at the finish.

Overall, this beer just, KILLS IT! Definitely worthy of your soul. What else can I say,... well if I were you I'd do whatever it takes to get your mouth on this one.

This was my favorite beer until I got to taste CBS. Everything you get in a good breakfast stout...coffee, vanilla, chocolate, plus bourbon. The thing is I don't think they are using the store brand coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. The ingredients all taste wonderful and blend together to make the spectacular concoction that is KBS. It's one of those few stouts that every sip taste different than the one before thanks to all of the layers of flavors this beer gives to us.

This review covers a fresh bottle of the 2014 release. Shamrock Liquors in Orlando FL hooked me up with two. Thanks!

It comes out viscous and black, like motor oil. Looking around the edges of my snifter glass, there's a -little- bit of reddening in the light, but not much. There's no head to speak of but some khaki bubbles around the rim. The nose is bold with chocolate , vanilla, coffee beans, and wood from the bourbon barrel aging. These notes are in harmony with each other -- each comes through in a big way but nothing overpowers the rest. When tasting it, the sweetness of the vanilla plays off the natural bitterness of the coffee and chocolate for a balance of flavors, putting each ingredient on a pedestal to speak for itself. The oak and bourbon lend a secondary profile of woodsiness, burned toast, and molasses to make this beer an absolute pleasure to drink, and it all goes down creamy and smooth. The alcohol is absolutely undetectable. I wanted to age my other bottle, but I don't know if I can keep myself from cracking it open.

Enjoyed on tap from a snifter at Plan B in Simsbury, CT. I didn't want to go right out with all 5s for this review, but truthfully could find nothing to critique that wasn't on-par and expected in the style. It poured black as pitch with a cocoa-colored head. The nose is complex with coffee and vanilla notes right up front preparing my palate for deliciousness. And delicious it was, with all the roasted coffee at first, followed by the sweetness from the bourbon-barrel aging and malts. An outstanding stout, worthy of 100 rating.

What can I say this is the best stout ever. Thick, heavy, delicious, complex, may cure brain damage, water on the knee, and if made in large enough quantity, may be the conduit for world peace. Praise the lord and pass the KBS. More words needed, but words will only keep me from waiting for the first week in April when KBS is sold for all of 5 or 6 days.

If I could give this 6's all around I would. let me start off by saying that this is not in my typical wheelhouse. I'm a hop head through and through but this was one that I couldn't pass up. I was up in Waterbury VT for a beer release this past weekend and was fortunate enough to find myself at the Prohibition Pig - one of my favorite taprooms I might add. They had a keg of KBS from 2012 that they tapped. Immediately with your first sip you get notes of coffee but before you know it they are taken over by chocolate and vanilla. This is one of the smoothest beers that I have ever had. There is just no bitterness to it. If it wasn't for the ABV north of 11% I could drink this all night. This is the second time I was blessed with trying this beer. The first time was in the bottle.

I am sorry. This is going to be a very subjective review. Not really a review I would say.

This is the first time I have drunk Founder's KBS, and it is the last American draft beer I will have for years. I lived in the US for 15 years, and moving back to my home country. Everything didn't work very well today, but the bar I went alone this evening and this very beer made my day.

I am quite a lot sentimental this evening, and I am overrating this a bit, but this beer deserves 5 for making my crappy last night in the United States into a great one.

Good bye.

Pours black as ink. Gurgles as I pour. Thick chocolate colored one finger head. Good retention and nice lacing.

On the nose is coffee, dark chocolate and fruits, vanilla and oak from the bourbon. Very complex and inviting.

Taste mirrors the nose exactly. Big bitter roast coffe. Dark fruits and coffee. Sweet bourbon. Vanilla and oak. Perfect.

Mouthfeel is huge. Warming from the alcohol but chewy. Sticky. Really coats your mouth and lips.

This beer is all its cracked up to be. Worth what I traded to get it. Can't wait until its released again next year. Will definitely buy and drink again. Just perfect.

I didn't know that this was available outside of the brewery/surrounding area and some how there was a case in western Indiana.

A - Deep dark brown basically black but not as black as Ten Fidy. It pours beautifully with khaki head and nice lacing. One of the most beautiful beers I've ever seen.

S - Tons of of sweet stout smell with roasted, chocolate, caramel, toffee, vanilla, and some soft bourbon mingling in your nose. Probably the best stout I've ever smelled. It was extremely complex and amazing all in one snifter

T - The flavors culminate on your palate with malt, roast, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, bourbon, and some light coffee. There is some alcohol but it is the best representation of >10% ABV that I've ever had in that regard with the burn being smooth and not harsh. There is some bitterness from the roasted malt but the sweetness and smoothness of all the flavors whirling on the tongue make it simply sublime. It is like tasting the best bourbon ever made mixed with the best stout ever and being able to decipher every nuance of both. I believe that a beer with extreme complexity without muddling or having a disproportion of the flavors is the key to such a "WORLD-CLASS" Beer.

M - High mouth-feel with light carbonation. It isn't the thickest stout but it has just the right amount of stickiness and bitterness to make you want to take that next sip; until it's gone.

Overall, this is one of the best beers ever made (if not the best). So much flavor packed into every sip. This bourbon barrel stout is truly what great beer should aspire to. I'm sure that there are people without the palate to discern the menagerie of amazing flavors and would favor a more direct beer but I love this one. I could not recommend this beer more highly and I would suggest you buy more than one every time you have the chance.

Glass- Snifter

Chocolate coffee, Rich, mid mouthfeel. The next night while drinking Porters I found myself dreaming of this beer.
I shared one can among five people. I don't like bourbon so the other four told me that I would not like it and didn't want to share. But I tasted it anyway, to rate it, and lived it.
I rate to taste, not to type.

Pours jet black with brown head that leaves great lacing.
Smells of roasted coffee beans, chocolate, caramel
Tastes very similar to smell with slight boozy undertones well hidden beneath strong coffee/chocolate
Mouthfeel unbelievably smooth and creamy
Overall perfect

First KBS ever, fresh 2013 bottle poured into a Triptych pint glass.

A - A thick black liquid that lets no light through, with a medium-dark head.

S - A flawless mix of coffee and bourbon with hints of vanilla

T - This is by far the best blend of flavors I've ever had in a beer. All the flavors are right there all the time, but none are dominated by the others. The sweetness of the bourbon falls into the background as the coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts gently roll through. You're never 'bombed' with any flavor. One of the most consistent beers throughout the whole tasting process.

M - Very smooth, sticks around for 10 seconds or so. The best mouthfeel you could want in a stout.

O - A lot of people comare this to BCS, but to me it's a whole different animal altogether. You can tell that this isn't just a bourbon aged stout with coffee added, it was made with those flavors in mind, producing an extremely well-balanced beer that retains the complexity through every last drop. I was worried that I was too hyped for this beer, but it proved itself worth of the rarity and praise it gets. One of, if not the best beer I've ever had.

Been searching for this beer locally for over 2 years now. Finally found it at a tapping party in KC. The beer was served very cold and was a disappointed. The first taste I was a little disappointed because there was not a much heat or bourbon taste as I expected but as it warmed up I realized that the slight burn of it is was made it so great. No reason to age it. After ordering food and letting it warmed up I realized the great notes of bourbon, vanilla and coffee. Overall couldn't be happy and understand the hype of this beer.

A: Black as oil with a thin khaki head.

S: Lots of cocoa and sweetness, balanced with just a touch of coffee roast.

T: Miraculous. Can I say miraculous? Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, roasty malts. Oak at just the right times. Vanilla undertones throughout, but not extremely noticeable. Not boozy in the mouth, but a little in the stomach. Really masks that 11.2% ABV.

M: Thick and smooth. Really full body.

O: Absolutely lives up to the hype. A remarkable beer. Full-bodied without being overpowering. Complex without being muddled. High ABV without tasting like booze. It’s just delicious. Everything you could ever want in a stout.

Disclaimer: I loved this beer and couldn't help giving it all "5s"

A - A Dark black beauty. Caramel topping recedes in seconds leaving some beautiful lacing. (Can you tell I love this beer at first sight?)

S - Bourbon, coffee and chocolate explode from the glass. I really appreciate a beer that I can smell.

T - Sweet, chocolatey coffee goodness in the front and a bite of Bourbon in the back.

M - Thick and rich.

O - I am enamored with this beer and don't regret a minute I spent pursuing it. I am so grateful that I got to try it.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company