2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,109 | Reviews: 2,413 | Show All Ratings:
57md

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

After unsuccessfully trying to score this beer for a few years, I was able to locate both the 2014 vintage on-tap and an aged 2011 vintage bottle. Both samples came from the Tavern on Liberty in Allentown, PA.

The numerical scores are for the 2011 bottled version because I actually preferred it to the freshly tapped sample.

The review compares both tasting experiences. Appearance is a deep dark brown with golden brown edges. The half finger of beige head dissipated quickly. The nose had distinct bourbon notes. The roast profile is solid and blends well with the bourbon. The alcohol on the 2014 version was too hot; three years of age really mellowed this offering to my liking. The body on the 2014 version seemed thinner than the 2011 version. Also, the 2011 version possessed a lingering molasses essence that the 2014 version lacked entirely. As expected, no coffee notes were discernible in the 2011 version; surprisingly, the coffee notes in the 2014 version were only barely present at the very end of the tasting experience.

04-21-2014 06:21:45 | More by 57md
dar482

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The beer comes in a dark black color with a brown head.

The aroma has a familiar FBS coffee of espresso beans, deeply roasted coffee. Then onto some bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, and some bourbon to round it all out.

The beer hits in the front of dark roasted coffee, a milk and bittersweet chocolate. Then mid palate there's an attack of bourbon throughout until the finish. Vanilla melds into the brew and long with a hint of chocolate sweetness and lots of bourbon on the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium for a barrel aged brew.

I highly recommend this beer aged 6-12 months. I also recommend having it slightly cooler than cellar temperature, but not room temperature as the bourbon gets too aggressive.

04-21-2014 01:20:12 | More by dar482
timc100

3.86/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours very dark like FIS and yields a beautiful burnt mocha head, that does linger quite a while. Big lacing on the glass, pitch black - slightly lighter than FIS.

Dark bakers chocolate, cocoa powder, dark roast coffee, oaky vanilla. Not much bourbon but substantial oak.

Very enjoyable, but not much going on. The coffee flavor is pretty one dimensional and the bourbon is not there to my palate.

04-20-2014 14:57:59 | More by timc100
WOBrewstraveler

Enjoyed on tap from a snifter at Plan B in Simsbury, CT. I didn't want to go right out with all 5s for this review, but truthfully could find nothing to critique that wasn't on-par and expected in the style. It poured black as pitch with a cocoa-colored head. The nose is complex with coffee and vanilla notes right up front preparing my palate for deliciousness. And delicious it was, with all the roasted coffee at first, followed by the sweetness from the bourbon-barrel aging and malts. An outstanding stout, worthy of 100 rating.

04-18-2014 23:49:00 | More by WOBrewstraveler
lochef81

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been eagerly anticipating my first taste of KBS and goddamn was it worth it!!! Maybe the best beer I've had to date. The pour is an inky black with a very small and short lived tan head that leaves a slight lacing but lots of legs. The aroma is a perfect blend of(in order of dominance) coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, and a little hops. The mouthfeel is as silky and smooth as any beer ever made. The flavor is an incredible smooth bomb of coffee, bourbon, chocolate, oak, vanilla, butter, hops. Simply fucking delicious and amazing. I'd sell my soul for a whole case. J/k....not really.

04-18-2014 04:46:49 | More by lochef81
Kramerwtmf

4.31/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I looked to trade for this beer for a long time and finally got a four pack of the 2014 release. While it is a great bourbon barrel aged stout, I personally thought both bourbon county coffee stout and founders breakfast stout were better. I can't wait to revisit this beer every six months until I run out to see how it matures.

04-17-2014 03:48:34 | More by Kramerwtmf
brianmandell

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Originally rated 4.25 on draft from brickyard in Jan 2014 (2013 KBS)

The bottled version of the 2014 is a very dark brown/black pour with short tan head and lacing. Big aromas of chocolate syrup, coffee liqueur and vanilla.

The coffee and chocolate are forward with a mild sweetness followed by vanilla and marshmallow flavors. There is some oak on the end finishing in a boozy astringent dryness reminding me of lower quality bourbon.

The mouthfeel is silky and delightful but thinner than I'd like. The thin mouthfeel makes this beer easier drinking than other barrel aged stouts.

Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite beers and I love how KBS shares some similarities and adds some of the benefits of barrel aging. The end result is very good but it falls short of my high expectations. The flavors are big but aren't well integrated. The thin body combined with the astringent boozy finish kill it for me until I take another sip of the chocolately goodness.

04-17-2014 01:06:34 | More by brianmandell
bigjerk89

3.08/5  rDev -33.5%

This has to be the most overrated beer I've ever had. I've been waiting a long time to try try this beer. I was very disappointed. I asked the bartender to check the keg to make sure it was KBS. He knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed with me. Zero bourbon flavor. If this beer was aged in bourbon barrels, then it wasn't for long or the barrel had been used several times. This beer tasted like an iced coffee. The mouth feel was thin. If you think this is a great beer, I suggest you try a goose island bourbon county stout. Everyone around me said the same thing. I enjoyed the beer, just did not live up to the hype.

04-16-2014 00:23:38 | More by bigjerk89
hudsonskunk

Indiana

I do not fan boy a lot of beer, but for me, this is as good as it gets.

This beer pours darker than most any beer I have seen. The color resides somewhere between french press coffee, and oil. If poured in a tulip glass the edges reflect a beautiful tinge of mahogany.

The smell is unreal. This beer is 11.2abv, and you can smell a little bit of alcohol. Most of the aroma from beer rests around roasted flavors, peaking around bitternotes with flavors of coffee and oak, and sweet notes with touches of cream and molasses.

Taste is out of this world. When served chilled your roasted barleys and chocolates pop along with bitter notes of american hops. The aromas of hop flavors are suppressed between coffee and cocoa notes, but the bitterness is still there bringing out some of the sweeter tastes of malted milk, and cream. At a more cellar temp. this beer will bust out fruity elements hinting at notes of wild blackberry. Like I said before, the alcohol still supplies a noticeable bite on the back end.

Mouthfeel is perfectly weighted drifting slowly over all plains of the tongue dancing ever so slightly between savory and sweet tastes. Viscosity looks a lot heavier than it actually is, but this comes as a relief in the end as the flavors are so complex a quick finish is most likely favored to ensure all elements of the beer can be enjoyed. (just my opinion, may be total bullshit.)

Overall, this beer is the only beer I would go broke for. It only comes once a year, and it is by far the most consistent and satisfying beer that founders currently produces. If you get a chance, enjoy this beer with a friend, but beware, you may never experience something this good again.

04-15-2014 17:26:10 | More by hudsonskunk
ChrisChagnon

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black like motor oil, with a tiny off-white head

The smell was just a huge chocolate and coffee on the nose. A little hint of alcohol but not much to mask the nose.

Taste was just awesome, everything was blended together perfectly (bourbon, chocolate and even more coffee once it sat for a bit) Slight bourbon bite, but not bad at all.

Thick filling mouth-feel to this one, chewy and just coats the inside of your mouth completely. In a good way.

This beer is good, but after having BCBCS this year, I wasnt as impressed as I was in my original review, so I redid the review.

04-15-2014 14:39:04 | More by ChrisChagnon
TravlynMan

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hello!! My first review, fitting it should be with such a demigod know as the KBS...

So I tried three bottles at three different temps over three days to get all the possible flavors I could out of the beer. First off this beer does a great job masking the alcohol at 11.2 %. Started with refrigerated bottle into snifter which gave off vague bourbon tones (good thing) but had to wait tor the dark chocolate and coffee tones to become more present as beer warmed. Second day poured room temp into pint glass. Chocolate and coffee tones more present in smell which becomes sort of an oatmeal cookie (again good thing). Third was cellari-sh temp and followed more like the second tasting. Overall very smooth and rich, the best BALANCED bourbon barrel aged stout I've had but I've Only just begun...

04-14-2014 22:10:52 | More by TravlynMan
Murph-Dawg

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lynnfield Yardhouse had a small release on tap of both 2013 and 2014, I preferred the 2013 but both had Excellent flavor, well worth the lunchtime trip!

2013 was a bit stronger of a bourbon but was soo good!!!

2014 seemed slightly less bold in terms of the bourbon flavor but again absolutely lived up to the reputation!

This beer is the real deal, completely deserving of all the hype!!

04-12-2014 22:46:23 | More by Murph-Dawg
GregA135

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed this one at House of 1000 Beers. Had it on tap along with other Founder's Brewing Company Beers! This was a delicious stout! Poured a dark brown with a tan head. Smelled of coffee beans, a hint of chocolate, and bourbon. Once it hit my palate it was a nice and smooth body and tasted great! Tasted of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and a bit of vanilla! Founders Brewing Company you guys did good! Two Thumbs Up!!!!

04-12-2014 18:39:27 | More by GregA135
hail_seitan

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

8 oz poured from tap in what appeared to be a juice glass

A - Rich black color with a minimal caramel head.

S - Toffee, dark chocolate, tobacco, espresso, and, of course, bourbon. However, none of these scents were overpowering and instead just invite you in for a taste.

T - At first, very similar to the smell. Upfront, I pick up the espresso and dark chocolate notes. However, neither is too strong. Next comes a touch of the bourbon, along with oaky vanilla, figs, and caramel. The finish again brings out bourbon flavors with a hint of warm grain alcohol as it goes down.

M - This was perhaps my favorite part of the beer. The oatmeal imparts a glutinous and almost chewy mouthfeel to the beer. The body is full, but not overtly syrupy. Fantastic.

O - I was astonished by the complexity and balance of this brew. None if the flavors dominated and instead they worked together in harmony to create a splendid beer. Even my fiancée, who usually does not like barrel-aged beers, thought it was great.

04-12-2014 13:13:48 | More by hail_seitan
Kevin-Wieken

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
Founders Brewing Company, Michigan
---from bottle to tulip---

Appearance
Almost entirely black, deep brown around edges when held to light. Little khaki head.

Smell
Mocha and bourbon, very subtle, hint of vanilla

Taste
Dark chocolate, bold coffee, slightly burnt malt, heavy bourbon – very awesome

Mouth-feel
Medium bodied, good bitter to sweet, starts and finishes with bourbon, 11ABV gives it a warming feel and makes this beer last a good while

Overall
Definitely worth the hype. I was able to secure three bottles (2014) and paid dearly for them. I would do it again. Very complex and inviting stout. Almost perfect!

04-12-2014 02:59:51 | More by Kevin-Wieken
Abe_Froman

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Poured nice and dark with a slight amber edge and a milk chocolate head.

Smelled of chocolate and coffee with some malt. I found the smell a bit more subtle than other reviewers.

Flavor was a bit lighter than I was expecting given the pour. Taste sweet on the tongue with hints of coffee/bitter and warm almost bright bourbon flavors without the whisky bite.

Feels light on the tongue and flows freely through the mouth. leaves a nice warm feeling on the back and sides of the palette.

Over all an enjoyable experience. Though given the hype I have been hearing over the last few years I was expecting a bit more.

04-11-2014 05:55:01 | More by Abe_Froman
Zekenyce

Perfection!!!! And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like dark heavy beers.
My buddy at the liquor store was able to hold one bottle for me. It took more than a year to finally get my hands on it and it sure did not disappoint. It was definitely worth the $20 I paid for it. And that was a bargain considering it sells for $30 and it takes years to even get.

04-11-2014 03:44:59 | More by Zekenyce
epickup

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on this after two years of trying and I was not disappointed.

I'm not an IPA pimp by any stretch & I don't like most rice adjunct crap from the mega breweries.

This case cost me right around $122.00 give or take some change but was split between several friends buying in. averaged out around $5 / bottle.

smell: Good lord in heaven can this be an aftershave?

taste: dark chocolate, coffee, something sweet I couldn't place, honey maybe, milk chocolate? Great notes from the bourbon cask.

first drink: not sure - my eyes rolled back in my head. The flavor was amazing, I wonder how this beer would do under Nitrogen, instead of CO2

second drink: able to taste the above flavors, a bit of euphoria, and I could feel the alcohol evaporating in my mouth. No lingering, nasty aftertaste.

end of bottle: small buzz, definitely slightly impaired.

halfway through second bottle: I feel like I've had about 9 Yeunglings in an hour, on my own buzz-rating.

I'd love to taste the difference from bottle to tap, but I get the feeling there really wouldn't be much of one.

damn glad I bought it, damn glad I drank it.

04-10-2014 23:27:43 | More by epickup
GinjaSlice

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: real dark black, my pour had no head, but there was good lacing with a nice milk chocolate color.
S: hot damn does this beer smell amazing. There's so much going on, at first I get a sweet malty and chocolate smell, accompanied by some coffee and followed by a burnt chocolate smell finishing with bourbon.
T: Taste is similar to the smell. Unfortunately not as perfect. At first lots of great sweet chocolate flavors balanced out by some bitter coffee. The mid taste is where it loses me as you get the kick and burn of the bourbon but then its followed by some delicious chocolate after taste.
M: really great for such a flavorful beer very light and easy to drink.

04-10-2014 05:57:47 | More by GinjaSlice
TheFizzinator

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Dark liquid poured, delicious looking milk chocolate head. The smell, the bouquet brings it all together chocolates, light coffee, delightful spicy bourbon, espresso, and vanilla. Taste is even better than the nose if that's possible. There's not much alcohol burn or presence of alcohol except for the delicious bourbon flavors. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and thi beer is as easily drinkable as something with much lower ABV. One of the smoothest stouts I've ever tasted.

The hype machine on KBS runs on overdrive but its a worthy beer to be sure. Maybe not "quite" as marvelous as the beer geeks would have you believe but for the money I can't name a better stout.

04-10-2014 03:48:56 | More by TheFizzinator
NCalement

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle poured into a Sexual Chocolate TEKU.

A- Pour is pitch black with a fast milk chocolate head. You con't see through this one at all. Nice lacing, looks very good for the style.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. Roasted malt, french toast, vanilla, burn form the booze, and sweet malt. Smell is perfect. Everything you want and more.

T- Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, slight bitter roast, fudge, bourbon, and Nesquik. What a great complex stout. Move over BCBCS this is it.

M- Perfect, wont waste time explaining, its perfect.

O- By far one of the best stouts, BA stouts, chocolate stouts, coffee stouts, beers and beverages period. This is best fresh, trust me, no need to age hoarders.

04-10-2014 03:04:50 | More by NCalement
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

A: After letting the bottle sit out of the fridge for a half hour (agonizing), the beer was poured into a tulip glass with moderate aggression. The head built 1 finger tall the color of tan leather with dense tiny bubbles. After sitting for about a minute the foam receded into the pitch black liquid leaving behind a wave of lacing on the glass. No light shines through the beer when held to a light. Moderate alcohol legs pop out when the beer is agitated.

S: The nose is full of rich dark chocolate, sweet cocoa, hints of vanilla, mild caramel and toffee, very complex. Although I can detect the vanilla and toasted barrel character with a hint of bourbon it doesn't come off alcoholic at all. No hop aroma detected. Light coffee and roasted notes come out on further inspection.

T: Lots of complex chocolate flavors, dark chocolate, bakers chocolate, milk chocolate only a small roast and a nice coffee finish. The middle malts are caramel, toffee and candy raisins that have a nice balancing sweetness with the barrel tannins. Vanilla character coming through with the oak throughout the experience. No hop flavor, and the bitterness is just enough to keep the sweetness from being cloying.

M: There is a large body with mild carbonation that leads to a nice creamy mouthfeel. No astringency detected. Alcohol warming is surprisingly minimal. And that nice tingly sensation with a well made bourbon barrel beer.

O: KBS really shines in its chocolate and barrel flavor balancing act. Its extremely drinkable not overly sweet and has a nice body. Theres not much out there as well brewed as KBS, a shame I could only get 2 bottles this year.

04-10-2014 01:37:18 | More by guityler83
BradenMK

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

(In the interest of full-disclosure, this IS my first KBS tasting)

APPEARANCE (3.75) - Poured pitch black and let not a ray of light escape its grasp, as any self-respecting imperial stout should, unfortunately, had only a fleeting, fizzy head, and left no lacing. It was certainly above-average looking, but definitely not amazing in appearance. But hey, looks can be deceiving.

SMELL (4.5) - Vanilla. Bourbon. Maple Syrup. Dark Chocolate. Holy shit. Surprisingly, I don't pick up the coffee on the nose. I'd be interested to know at least a cursory summation of the recipe for this beer. Even though I don't care as much for bourbon barrel stouts, this smells almost perfect.

TASTE (4.75) - It's outstanding. I don't understand all the hate over this beer. Such a great depth of flavor with a balanced nuance of malt sweetness, upfront bourbon, followed by black coffee, and finally a lasting cocoa note that lingers as the heat from the alcohol warms all the way down. And yet, with all that alcohol, I wasn't hit by a harsh heat on the tongue, and the flavor wasn't influenced by alcohol burn at all. That's a good stout. The barrel-character itself may be a little drowned out by the coffee and bourbon (and any actual chocolate if there is some in the recipe), but it's perceptible in the after-taste. Oh, man, the coffee here is so much better integrated than it is in FBS, and it melds with the bourbon notes into a wholly different beast. Now I've gotta see how this compares with something like Toppling Goliath's Mornin' Delight. The chocolate definitely does come forward a bit more as the beer warms.

I've gotta say, with this beer jumping to 5th overall on the top 250 list this year, I was very skeptical that it would actually stand up to the hype. I am very much glad that it did. Maybe I've got blinders on because I'm just tasting it this year. Maybe it was better in years' past like so many people say it was. But that just goes to show how great a beer it still is.

Ha! I even got a slight cherry note on my last sip. What a nice little send-off to an already amazing beer.

MOUTHFEEL (3.75) - A little thin, which isn't truthfully unexpected from a beer with so many alterations and additions. Coffee + bourbon + lots of alcohol - it can unbalance the base recipe a little and break up some of those proteins. Not watery by any stretch of the imagination, but in terms of thickness, this guy doesn't measure up to beasts like Founders Imperial Stout or Yeti.

OVERALL (4.5) - Will I say I like this better than the more readily available Imperial Stout? That's hard to say, but after a few moments deliberation, I don't think so. But am I going to bash it for being so hard to get my hands on? Absolutely not. It is clearly a beer that is more difficult to make and more difficult to balance. If I liked bourbon in my stouts more, then this would absolutely be MUCH better than FIS. There is a LOT going on here, and I'm glad I got to try it. Am I going to go out seeking it every year from now on? Well... yeah, a little bit. It's not overpriced at all, so if I find it, and I will look for it, even if only a little, I am definitely going to buy some. Great, great beer. Founders nails it again.

Thanks again, Core42, you are a true Beer Advocate, my friend!

04-09-2014 23:36:40 | More by BradenMK
nilesschmidt

Nebraska

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

a - black, dark tan head that dissipates quickly

s - as good as it gets, coffee, chocolate and whisky all come thru well balanced

t - amazing, only reason its not a 5 is the whisky is a little hot, time will mellow and help this tremendously , i cant wait to try a 12 or 13

m - very solid, finishes light in comparison to other coffee stouts

o - one of my favorite beers all time, rich, smooth and delicious, fantastic beer, believe the hype!

04-09-2014 20:50:27 | More by nilesschmidt
vonnerbeer

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

2013 and 2014 Vertical pours at Yard House, Lynnfield, MA. 2013 has mellowed nicely with with subtle bourbon and coffee notes. Mouthfeel and body is slightly thinner than expected, but doesn't disappoint. 2014 is a little hot, but delicious none the less.

04-09-2014 13:55:17 | More by vonnerbeer