Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,608
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -72.9%

1.28/5  rDev -72.3%

1.4/5  rDev -69.7%

I don't really wish to put down a highly regarded beer but I feel this one is very overrated. I think it is unbalanced and tastes more like someone dropping a shotglass of bourbon in a stout. I could almost not notice the coffee or chocolate properties because of the overwhelming bourbon taste. I know most won't agree with this but it was a drainpour for me.

1.5/5  rDev -67.5%

2.04/5  rDev -55.8%

2.08/5  rDev -55%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I had really high hopes for this beer. I love the Founders Imperial Stout and the Breakfast Stout, so I was really excited to try the KBS. The KBS poured a rich black color. To me the smell was a little overpowering. This seemed more of a sipping beer and not a gulper. The alcohol taste was too overpowering to enjoy and it nearly masked the hints of coffee and chocolate.

2.08/5  rDev -55%

2.1/5  rDev -54.5%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - It pours a very dark brown, almost black in appearance. Had a very thin mocha colored head that quickly disappears.

Smell - Bourbon? Nope I didn't smell any of that. I smelled mostly burnt coffee/caramel and nothing else. Disappointing to say the least.

Taste - The alcohol is just too overwhelming in this. I couldn't taste anything but alcohol. I thought it would have a wonderful balanced flavor of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon, but got nothing of it.

Mouthfeel - Very thick as it coats your whole mouth and burns your throat as it goes down. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Overall - Overrated! Very disappointed.

2.1/5  rDev -54.5%

This beer was wasted on me.
I do no not typically like stouts, and not a fan of the whole "barrel aged" thing because I don't do whiskey or bourbon.
I was glad I got to try it.
Don't worry, no drain pour, my good buddy Mikey got to benefit from it.

2.13/5  rDev -53.9%

Bottle poured into a snifter. I was excited to try this one and vastly disappointed by the results.

A - dark as night as one would expect, but even a rough pour left a small, short-lived head.

S - bourbon, coffee (but not good coffee, we're talking bad gas station coffee here)

T - bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, and more bourbon, coffee, a little chocolate, and roasted malt. I couldn't enjoy the chocolate maltiness because the bourbon flavor was so overpowering. In spite of all that bourbon taste, I do give it credit for concealing its 11.2% ABV pretty well.

M - nice medium body, probably this beers best feature.

D - glad I tried it once. Left me never wanting another.

2.14/5  rDev -53.7%

Fresh 2014 bottle dated 3/14/14. Pours a dark imperial stout black. Unfortunately for this rating, i am continuing past the appearance. Aroma is coffee, but not the most pleasant coffee. Reminds me of the subpar coffee at Munster donut. Kinda stale. Taste is even worse. Stale coffee with a bit of roast and chocolate. Some might say the flavors are balanced. No the stuff is just weak. That's like complementing Budweiser on the water and piss being perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is thin. This stuff has the body of a coked out Olsen twin. Overall, this is a subpar bourbon imperial stout. I used to think this stuff was really good. I don't know if founders has dropped off in an effort to crank out more of their most coveted annual release or if everyone else has caught up to and blown past. Either way, this stuff is highly overrated and really only serves as trade bait. Don't believe the hype.

2.23/5  rDev -51.7%

So this beer pours a nice deep opaque black, that lets no light though. It also tops off with a nice deep tan head that is very dense, and laces very nicely. So this is where this beer went WAAAY down hill for me. This beer starts off with that obvious deep coffee grain aroma, that has the hint of paper, and some grass to it. not hops, but that old musty grass. Oh the The bourbon barrel comes up from the rear with the hickory aroma as well. Of course there is the standard chocolate, molasses, licorice, and well the standards. But damn, that coffee/musty smell has got to go. Its not balanced, and... it just has to go. The aromas transfer to the flavor unfortunatly and make this beer damn near undrinkable. Leaves a very unpleasant taste of cardboard along with the aforementioned aromas that make up the taste. Man, this is rough. The mouthfeel is nice. it Starts off with a nice smooth creamy feeling. Little bit of carbination. Leaves no residue. Its just nice. Now for the drinkability. I just have to say that this beer is way, WAAAYY over-hyped. It should be in the top, 50, but not the top ten, or thirty for that matter. I am not a fan.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company