Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,322
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -53.9%

Bottle poured into a snifter. I was excited to try this one and vastly disappointed by the results.

A - dark as night as one would expect, but even a rough pour left a small, short-lived head.

S - bourbon, coffee (but not good coffee, we're talking bad gas station coffee here)

T - bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, and more bourbon, coffee, a little chocolate, and roasted malt. I couldn't enjoy the chocolate maltiness because the bourbon flavor was so overpowering. In spite of all that bourbon taste, I do give it credit for concealing its 11.2% ABV pretty well.

M - nice medium body, probably this beers best feature.

D - glad I tried it once. Left me never wanting another.

CheapHysterics, Dec 23, 2010
2.14/5  rDev -53.7%

Fresh 2014 bottle dated 3/14/14. Pours a dark imperial stout black. Unfortunately for this rating, i am continuing past the appearance. Aroma is coffee, but not the most pleasant coffee. Reminds me of the subpar coffee at Munster donut. Kinda stale. Taste is even worse. Stale coffee with a bit of roast and chocolate. Some might say the flavors are balanced. No the stuff is just weak. That's like complementing Budweiser on the water and piss being perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is thin. This stuff has the body of a coked out Olsen twin. Overall, this is a subpar bourbon imperial stout. I used to think this stuff was really good. I don't know if founders has dropped off in an effort to crank out more of their most coveted annual release or if everyone else has caught up to and blown past. Either way, this stuff is highly overrated and really only serves as trade bait. Don't believe the hype.

rxeight, Sep 11, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -51.7%

So this beer pours a nice deep opaque black, that lets no light though. It also tops off with a nice deep tan head that is very dense, and laces very nicely. So this is where this beer went WAAAY down hill for me. This beer starts off with that obvious deep coffee grain aroma, that has the hint of paper, and some grass to it. not hops, but that old musty grass. Oh the The bourbon barrel comes up from the rear with the hickory aroma as well. Of course there is the standard chocolate, molasses, licorice, and well the standards. But damn, that coffee/musty smell has got to go. Its not balanced, and... it just has to go. The aromas transfer to the flavor unfortunatly and make this beer damn near undrinkable. Leaves a very unpleasant taste of cardboard along with the aforementioned aromas that make up the taste. Man, this is rough. The mouthfeel is nice. it Starts off with a nice smooth creamy feeling. Little bit of carbination. Leaves no residue. Its just nice. Now for the drinkability. I just have to say that this beer is way, WAAAYY over-hyped. It should be in the top, 50, but not the top ten, or thirty for that matter. I am not a fan.

quasimoto, Mar 22, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -51.3%

Egan, Jul 25, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -50.2%

Appearance- dark brown to black, light tan head quicly fades away, very dark no light

Smell- very strong coffee and espresso, so strong and unique
smell, some roasted malts, but mostly pure coffee more then anything else

Taste- im a blown away how strong the taste of burbon whiskey is, infact way stronger then i had been hoping or expecting when i had put off to save trying this, not well balanced nearly enough as it should have been, literally not literally hint o f burbon taste like im drinking straight burbon, way to much alcohol to call it purely enjoyable, way overated and not enjoyable, unbalanced too burbony not enough beer,

Mouthfeel- semi sweet and syrupy but nothing impressive, the body is actually very light believe it or not in a way

Drinkability- tastes way to strong of liqour, i hope my other kbs tastes way better aged big freaking let down a terrible beer as of now that tastes too much burbon to be called beer, could never drink more then even one of these overerated beers, in my opinion had much better stouts

Stunner97, May 04, 2009

inanity, May 16, 2013

Kaveman, Aug 25, 2013

sjrodriguez, Aug 13, 2014

DerekDudley, Jul 14, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -45.9%

A: Jet black and the tan heads appears and then disappears kinda like flat coke.

S: Very nice. Bourbon, booze, liquorice, vanilla, oak and light roasted notes and maybe some coffee.

T: I know this is supposedly an amazing beer but the taste is like a dirty ash tray right out the gate...with lots of boozey taste.

M: Hot. Not sweet at all, well balanced with the bitterness.

O: Incredible disappointment here...I agree with this comment "Not to say it was bad, but I was led to believe this was something mind blowing, rather it is a pedestrian BA beer, which sadly let the bourbon take over (maybe it was just this year's blend, who knows... BCBS is definitely better than this and I enjoyed Boulevard's RIS more too..."

BeerMeFitz, Mar 21, 2012

UncleJemima822, Apr 18, 2013

kevrice88, Jun 09, 2013

blmar311, Apr 12, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -44.8%

Poured from from a 12 oz bottle into a globe glass.
A- Very black and thick
S- Good combo of coffee and bourbon
T- Starts out as a combo of coffee and bourbon but quickly is overpowered by simply a bourbon flavor
M- Thick, like whole milk or cough syrup
D- one and done, maybe it's just me, but it ended up as drinking as a lightly fermented bourbon.

Fartknocker, Jun 26, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -43.1%

Opening a 2009 - this beer is opaque black with little head and a strong coffee flavor. Smells charred and bitter as if they burnt the coffee before putting it into the barrel.

This one tastes more chocolate-y and bourbon like. The vanilla notes are much more muted this year than the previous years and I honestly prefer the extra vanilla's presence. Not really complex flavor but decent mouthfeel. Honestly, I enjoyed the aroma more than the taste bc I could pick out the sweet/fruit notes better that way.

This beer isn't that complex. Maybe I've been spoiled - maybe it's not aging well with the bourbon notes mellowing and bringing out the coffee... I just know that it didn't live up to my expectations.

MysterySwirl, Dec 08, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -43.1%

Missed several opportunities to get my hands on this beer. Finally found it at a new bar tonight. Ok beer. Would rather have a CBS, Founders Imperial Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Hoppin Frog Oatmeal Stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Old Rasputin, ect. KBS gets a lot of hype, but seems everyone out there is just conforming to popular opinion. Tasted like a bad bourbon. There are much more enjoyable stouts out there. Definitely did not live up to the hype.

tlsmith, Aug 06, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -42.6%

Allow me to be the (presumably) first to say I didn't enjoy this at all. It tastes like burnt, old coffee with whiskey mixed in. I've had coffee stouts before, Schaffly's comes to mind, that I have enjoyed, and I love coffee by itself, so it's not that I just don't like the style. I made it through two bottles and opened a third just trying to enjoy it (because I paid 20 bucks for it, not because it is highly rated, I'm not that lame) and I gave up on the third one for a Budweiser I had in my fridge. Sorry if your a fanboy and I'm stepping on your toes, and you can flag this review all you want, and if they take it down I really dont care, but the truth is the truth and the truth must be known. I hope I can save others from wasting 20 bucks on this stuff.

Most DEFINATELY doesn't deserve to be the third highest rated on BA.com. And only 200 reviews are putting it up there with those legendary beers. They really need to weight the number of reviews before compiling lists like that.

BTW, if any of you Founder's fanboys live in the Peoria IL area and want the last one, email me. It's yours for free.

Oh, here's the mandatory stuff --

Served from a bottle.

Poured motor oil black, barely any head, the appearance was kind of a turnoff.

Smelled mostly of coffee.

Tasted like old, stale coffee with whiskey mixed in, and alcohol was prevalant. Taste was very disappointing.

liquidnoise, Apr 27, 2007