Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,132
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,379 | Reviews: 2,856
3.04/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the depth Of this beer

3.06/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very overrated. Very thin mouth feel. Tastes like backwoods bastard. The barrel is definitely the same. Shocked at how high the rating is

3.07/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I was excited wife scored a four pack for me. Not gonna go through a full review. I had it smelled like coffee and alcohol. But the taste I just couldn't take it. It taste like bourbon spiked cold coffee. And I don't like coffee. Don't take this wrong I know coffee notes are part of having a stout but usually chocolate is too and didn't get that anywhere in this beer. If ever have again it would be one and done, then go onto another beer. Sorry but this beer is overrated, Or maybe not just to my liking.

3.09/5  rDev -33.1%

Overrated. Plenty of better barrel aged stouts around. The normal Breakfast Stout is much better.

3.09/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Very thin. Was let down. Maybe got fake bottles. So bad.

3.09/5  rDev -33.1%

Not my style but I went for it. It's alright.

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

This is my first review for Beeradvocate. I've been in the booze biz for about 7 years now. I am currently a wine consultant but, I have several years of beer tasting experience. I guess that I have tried well over 100 beers, not including macro brews. The hype in the beer world is no different than the hype in the wine world so, I have to rip on this fairly overrated beer:

A: pours a slightly oily black stew with no head.

S: smells like mesquite wood, fresh ground coffee and dark chocolate. No bourbon aromas to be found.

T: Bitter sweet espresso shot cold. Long finish. Hate to say it but, it tastes just like a can of Starbucks Double Shot Espresso with less sugar and no cream. Not as boozy as a Bourbon County Stout as I thought it would be. Where's the bourbon?

M: Not as cloying as I thought it would be. Palate is on the medium body side and dryer than I thought it would be which is good.

D: One in the morning or one at night. Good with smoked cheese.

Both beer and movies have their "fan boys" (you know, the kind that love eye candy movies like The Matrix and Star Wars and will give movies like that a high rating simply because they are supposed to like it), and this beer will be praised by biased drinkers and will try to tell you it is the best thing ever. I disagree, this is truly an overrated beer but, it's not bad. For the price, Yeti and Storm King are a much better value and you don't have to wait for them to be released.

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

I had a lot of expectations regarding this beer, and I think I may have enjoyed this more without the expectations. The beer pours a very dark brown, with little head. The smell is of bourbon with some vanilla and roasted coffee. The taste is over the top bourbon, with burnt coffee. The taste just didnt do it for me, it was a little too overboard and tasted like a cold coffee and bourbon mixed drink. Given the hype around this beer, I will someday probably come into possession of another bottle and see if my first impressions were off.

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

This has to be the most overrated beer I've ever had. I've been waiting a long time to try try this beer. I was very disappointed. I asked the bartender to check the keg to make sure it was KBS. He knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed with me. Zero bourbon flavor. If this beer was aged in bourbon barrels, then it wasn't for long or the barrel had been used several times. This beer tasted like an iced coffee. The mouth feel was thin. If you think this is a great beer, I suggest you try a goose island bourbon county stout. Everyone around me said the same thing. I enjoyed the beer, just did not live up to the hype.

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

2011 bottle poured into a Southampton snifter, served at cellar temp.

This beer pours nearly pitch black With a very thin mocha colored head that quickly dissipates. The smell is heavy on the bourbon with hints of vanilla and a hint of coffee, there is also a strong roasted malt character to the nose. The flavor is bourbon and slightly boozy a lot of roasty bitterness too barely a hint of vanilla a little more coffee and no residual sweetness. The mouthfeel is thin and lightly carbonated. Overall I was not as impressed by this beer as I thought i would be, the body was too thin there was no residual sweetness and to me it felt like the bourbon and roasted malts were just butting heads.

3.12/5  rDev -32.5%

1/2 pint on tap, oily and shiny body with a wisp of head that recedes to a bubbly ring. A bit of lacing.

Whoa, right from the first sniff loads more bourbon than I remember from the bottled version. Roasted malt and coffee are no match. Come sippin' time, the bourbon once again drops the hammer. Coffee's actually pretty strong as well. Dark fruit and chocolate are overwhelmed by the bourbon/coffee 1-2 combo, and roasted malts are mostly an afterthought. Holy mackerel this is boozy. Kinda like Bourbon County Stout randalized through chocolate chips and espresso beans. An intense experience, but not something I'd seek out.

3.17/5  rDev -31.4%

A big thanks out to "WhoKnew" for throwing in a bonus bottle for me!

It poured a dark black with a minimal wispy tan-colored head that quickly disappeared. Remnants of the head sticks to glass and leaves a trace as I drink it down.

As I swirl it about the carbonation rises and surprises me with more flavor hinting at coffee, chocolate fudge, something burnt/roasted, maybe some vanilla(?) until I finish it off. The flavor continues into the aftertaste which turns into a subtle hint of bourbon that's just the perfect balance.

This is very balanced and extremely smooth. The mouthfeel is very full-bodied yet light and made for an easy drinkability but it's bursting potency commands your respect hence the sippability.

This is a world-class stout, deserving of it's rank on BA.

3.18/5  rDev -31.2%

Tried it a second time out of concern that I got the wrong beer the first time. Looks nice in the glass, dark body with a thick dark head rare in beers this strong. Aroma is mostly booze with some stale coffee and splintery wood once it wams up. Tastes confused, like an imperial stout with bourbon poured in, and a fair amount of acid. Finishes syrupy and acidic.

Can't understand the obsession with this, I'd suggest you could add a shot of bourbon to an FBS, but I like FBS too much to waste it.

3.2/5  rDev -30.7%

Had this in a bottle at Black and Blue in Easton

A-deep dark black with no light shining through and zero head.

S-lots of coffee, bourbon and chocolate. Some Anise in the background and has a booziness to it too.

T-very similiar to the smell. coffee, bourbon and chocolate, thick chewy stout.

M-very thick and chewy. great stout.

overall, not worth the price, not worth anything for the hype this gets at all. Would have thought much higher of it if it wasn't such a WHALE!!

WHALE ALERT!!

3.21/5  rDev -30.5%

'10. Pours a nice dark brown/black with a quarter inch head, typical for Founders stuff. Nose is a lot of espresso, some minor notes of bourbon and vanilla. Taste is more of the same. Not sure how people describe this as a bourbon bomb, in fact it is quite the opposite. This is a coffee stout to me. It's all espresso on the tongue. Must say it's a bit disappointing. Mouthfeel is a tad fizzy. Definitely not a top 20 beer.

3.27/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

I just cant join the hype beer club with this beer it had a very pungent taste off the bat very sweet almost tarty as it warmed it got better but as a very die hard stout drinker and a ex bourbon whiskey drinker this just was a mediocre beer for me. Some of the beers that get a 75-88 score on here taste sooo much better to me. I guess ive been spoiled with parabola and other top of the line as people say beers for to long ...Michigan you can keep this out on the east coast and i will enjoy my west coast stouts out here!! Def would not buy glad i got in a trade.

3.27/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours pitch black like the night sky of the countryside of Kentucky. about a fingers worth of chocolate colored head resulted from a moderately aggressive pour, doesn't last too long. No light can be seen through the body of this beer whatsoever.

i can smell strong boozy notes up front and immediately upon putting my nose to the glass. scents of vanilla/licorice, some dark chocolate, sweet rich malt. Very enjoyable nose.

The alcohol is very strong in the taste as well. Big bourgon flavors, lots of oakiness. Not tasting any kind of coffee, a hint of chocolate in the back, though. The booze really dominates everything else, its a bit overpowering.

Full bodied, but maybe not quite as thick as I had imagined it, which is a bit of a disappointment. I'm definitely getting a warming sensation in the back of my throat, which is always good on a cold night.

I can't get this in Oklahoma, and at 11.2%, i don't think i would want to drink very often if i could. This is definitely an interesting beer to try, but probably not one i would want to drink again and again. Thank you Beerwolf for the opportunity to try this beer.

3.29/5  rDev -28.8%

Check this, homes... There's a reason this is an A+ and boris is only an A (really lower, but grade inflation and all). It's awfully pretty. Pours deep and dark. No head? What? Oh. Wait. Ha. You just had to wait for the bubbles to rise up. There they are! A decent-sized head of tiny dark bubbles. Would be better if they lasted longer.

Smells like Quick. Really - nothing but chocolate milk. Well, and a little smoke...

Tastes like Quick with a little smoke. OK, not quite so sweet. But pretty close. Ah, OK, it's bitter, too.

3.3/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Welcome to Starbuck's, would you like to try our Irish-American Coffee today?

'Cause that is how this beer tastes. It tastes like coffee and bourbon together with a nice sweet backbone. It tastes pretty good, since I like coffee, I like bourbon, and I don't mind a little bit of sweet with both . . . but what is lacking in this beer is the, ummm, beer element.

It pours jet black. Maybe at the bottom of my glass I can get a hint of red, but not really. The head is thin and flimsy, but it does stay there and it leaves a nice lace as I drink this malt beverage.

It smells like fresh ground coffee with a nice amount of vanilla present. A little bit of the oaky bourbon shows though. It smells like a very nice coffee.

The taste is quite pleasant. The coffee and bourbon play together with the vanilla supporting both and a nice sugary-sweet backbone.

The mouthfeel is a little flat and slick. Coffee with a dash of motor oil.

Look, this is a fine beverage, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Smirnof Ice is brewed with malt, does that make it a beer? There is nothing beery about this beverage. It is an Irish-American coffee malternative.

3.33/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into snifter, bottle had no date that I could find on it

A: black with slight tan head

S: a little char and coffee

T: First chocolate and coffee, then when u swallow, it's very alcoholic (not in a good BA way), almost like its spiked with vodka...

M: thick and heavy mouthfeel and lingers on the palate.

Overall: This one was a let down for me. Especially being from the West Coast and finally getting to try it. I love my BA stouts and this one just tastes like it was spiked with vodka.

3.33/5  rDev -27.9%

I had my brother pick up a four pack at Whole Foods in Ann Arbor and Fed Ex it too me. I was very excited to try this beer. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype. I'm not saying this is a terrible beer, but I just don't think its as good as advertised. I tasted the bourbon, vanilla, and coffee. The mixture just tasted a bit off to me. I"ll take a Bells Expedition Stout or an Old Rasputin any day over this beer.

3.33/5  rDev -27.9%

Bottle from last year's release, so just a little over a year old.

Appearance: Like motor oil, I put it directly next to a light bulb and nothing got through my snifter. Nice coffee foam, almost no lacing.

Smell: Mostly old coffee and lots of dark malts, barely any bourbon, I wish it was the other way around. It is actually more alcohol than bourbon - barely any of the molasses, vanilla, etc I would like to smell.

Taste: Old coffee, lots of licorice, soot, charcoal, dark malts, fudge, blackstrap molasses, and hardly any bourbon. Something burnt. I really don't get the reviews saying the alcohol is concealed - on both the aroma and taste I get raw, pure alcohol smacking my nose and tongue like a 2x4. Let me clarify that is alcohol, not bourbon I taste.

Mouthfeel: A little grainy, I couldn't help but think of sand or used coffee grits.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper, the coffee and raw alcohol are overpowering.

3.34/5  rDev -27.7%

Paid $30 for a 4-pack

Appearance: (5) Completely black with dark brown head. Minimal carbonation. Head dissipates quickly.

Aroma: (3.5) Chocolate & Charred malt with bourbon - a little raw.

Taste: (3) Burnt malt, bourbon and a little oak character. Not cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel: (3) Typical stout but with more heat and a medicine finish.

Overall: Good but not great beer, certainly not epic in my book. I expected a lot more out of the beer. It may improve with some time but it still lacks the roundness of a Bourbon County or Surly Darkness.

Serving type: bottle……..and on tap later in the evening

3.34/5  rDev -27.7%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

The beer is very black with hardly any brown in the light. The head is very disappointing as there is none and after finally pouring a medium tan head fizzles for seconds and is gone. There is no lacing.

The aroma is very strong but dominated by mostly roasted coffee. There is not much complexity as you get a little alcohol but that's it.

The taste is like the aroma but stronger. Its all coffee but bad stale and bitter coffee. Its simple without any complex flavors. At the end there is a little bourbon and charred wood.

The feel is ok but the drinkability is really down.

I was very excited to finally get my hands on this, but after I did I came away very disappointed. Its not drinkably, not complex, and just not a great RIS.

3.35/5  rDev -27.5%

Reviewed from notes from Early December 2008.

A - Very Dark Brown to almost black. Thin with little head present.

S - Alcohol is very present. Bourbon. Clean and crisp. Quality in the smell.

T - Strong Alcohol Burn for a 10%. I have had better in which the alcohol was greater but its taste was hidden. I was expecting more from the smell. Also, I wish it was thicker. Hard to get in Minnesota so I am greatful for trying. Some Coffee and chocolate taste but overpowered from the booze taste.

M - Thin but very smooth.

D - Not really. Not found in Minnesota. Also, because of the high alcohol content, a sipper at best. Just not my favorite.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company