Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,012
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,459 | Reviews: 2,613
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2015 12 oz bottle into a tulip. I've been on a BA kick lately. Starting to really enjoy the style.
A: dark black, 1/2 finger head, trace bourbon tint to lacing left on the glass.
S: booze....I'm picking up a full nose of booze with a faint sweet chocolate scent.
T: sweet stout with a lot of booze. Hint of coffee but not getting the chocolate flavor.
M: well carbonated & smooth sipping. I get a ton of booze on the after taste.
O: had for the first time this time last year. I remembered it being one of the greatest stouts I've ever had, which I still think it is today. One OF the greatest indeed. I too firmly believe goose island nails this particular style. Let's see what age does to her. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Founder's taproom snifter. Bottled on 2/12/15, making this just over 1.5 months old.

A: Pours a nearly pitch-black color, with just a trace of mocha-colored head that swirls on the surface. A thinner body than Breakfast Stout or Imperial Stout. Some light does get through on the edges.

S: I get two things right off the bat, and that's coffee and bourbon. The coffee is a different roast that I'm used to in these beers, it's not a bright, fresh, fruity type of bean, but rather a darker, sumatra-type roast, almost espresso-like. The bourbon is very wet and fresh, and very present in the nose. Not a lot of chocolate here, but I do get some vanilla and plenty of oak from the barrel.

T: So already, this beer is way more bourbon-forward than the previous years. Lots of booze and whiskey up front and in the finish. Then there's the coffee, again a very dark, bitter roast. Some dark, bitter chocolates, vanilla, espresso, oak, char, tobacco.

M: Unfortunately, the beer slips up here. It's rather thin and watery for the style. Nowhere near that rich mouthfeel of Breakfast Stout or Imperial Stout. Given the increased bourbon presence this year, it's still not overly boozy and the alcohol is integrated well. Good amount of carbonation.

O: Ah... KBS. My first BA Imperial Stout. Takes me back to 2012. I've had this beer countless times, but my first time actually reviewing it. A lot has changed since my first impression, and I've had a lot of world-class beers since. Originally, this beer was always #1 for me, next to CBS. But over the years, I've slowly fallen away from it. Initially, I thought it was because I lived in GR and just took it for granted. But now I'm sadly realizing that it's just not this king of a beer anymore. First off, it doesn't really have an identity. It says coffee chocolate stout, but I really don't pick up on either of those in the nose or flavor. When I drink BCBCS, I get coffee, and it's amazing. Here, it's just a big, boozy imperial stout. Another fault is the mouthfeel. Way too thin and watery here. I don't remember it being this thin back in 2012, but over the years, it's gotten that way. I love Founder's and I really wanted to love this beer again and rate it highly, but I can't. BCBS and all the variants just blow this away. And that's hard for me to say since I recently moved from GR to Chicago, and I'm a homer and still love Michigan. But Goose Island just owns the style. CBS, on the other hand, is perfection, and this years re-release still holds up as one of my favorites. But KBS is just losing it's luster as other great BA Imperial Stouts move to the fore front. This beer is still a classic and always will be. Heck, it's aged in caves beneath Grand Rapids. But it's just not the best of the best anymore.

Recommendation: No matter what, everyone needs to try this beer. It's a classic and is the face of Founder's. Find it, drink it, love it. Just don't expect to get your face blown off.

4.42/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had two of 'em in a row on tap at the Avery in Providence. Both 10oz. pours and on a 2014 keg that was tapped five minutes before I drank.

Appearance: super dark, with little to no carbonation. Straight obsidian black with a minimal mocha colored head. No carbonation present.

Aroma: Couldn't help but audibly go MMMMMM as I smelled it. The nose is vanilla, caramel, roasted almond, coffee......everything an imperial stout should be, and pronounced.

Taste: First impressions; all chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Sweet, delicious, and decadent. Moves into a little bit of bourbony heat, but the alcohol is only slightly detectable, even at 11%. Finishes with more sweet, creamy dark chocolate and coffee.

Feel: Almost like a nitro in its velvety, creamy texture. At points, I was reminded of when I was a kid and would drink straight up chocolate syrup. Really, really awesome.

Overall: Lives up to the hype of being one of the best stouts out there. I love breakfast stout which is much more available, and the availability factor of this one makes it a rare treat, but it was really damn good.

3.77/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

4.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer. Great coffee/chocolate and slight oak taste from draft. Alcohol isn't over the top by any means but it hits you.

Very hard to find, even in MI. Goes from $8-15 a bottle from stores. On tap in very select locations. I paid $10 for a 10oz draft.

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.98/5  rDev +7.8%

4.96/5  rDev +7.4%

4.19/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2014 - 12oz bottle into snifter - Was hoping for more from this one. Still a great BA Stout and had lots of coffee / cocoa on the nose and in the taste. Barrel was there but didn't highlight the other flavors. Improved as it warmed.

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

Well it's official. KBS is the greatest beer of all time, ALL TIME. It's like breakfast stout and dragons milk had freaky circus sex. Nine months later had a kid. Then that kid spent a year in a cave learning how to be a ninja and that ninja kicked the s**t out of my taste buds.

4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 12 oz glass, dark Carmel-chocolate color with very little head. Taste of coffee and chocolate both are present but neither are over bearing on the palette. By far one of the best stouts I have had so far !

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company