2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Ratings: 7,078 | Reviews: 2,412 | Show All Ratings:
lochef81

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been eagerly anticipating my first taste of KBS and goddamn was it worth it!!! Maybe the best beer I've had to date. The pour is an inky black with a very small and short lived tan head that leaves a slight lacing but lots of legs. The aroma is a perfect blend of(in order of dominance) coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, and a little hops. The mouthfeel is as silky and smooth as any beer ever made. The flavor is an incredible smooth bomb of coffee, bourbon, chocolate, oak, vanilla, butter, hops. Simply fucking delicious and amazing. I'd sell my soul for a whole case. J/k....not really.

04-18-2014 04:46:49 | More by lochef81
Kramerwtmf

4.31/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I looked to trade for this beer for a long time and finally got a four pack of the 2014 release. While it is a great bourbon barrel aged stout, I personally thought both bourbon county coffee stout and founders breakfast stout were better. I can't wait to revisit this beer every six months until I run out to see how it matures.

04-17-2014 03:48:34 | More by Kramerwtmf
brianmandell

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Originally rated 4.25 on draft from brickyard in Jan 2014 (2013 KBS)

The bottled version of the 2014 is a very dark brown/black pour with short tan head and lacing. Big aromas of chocolate syrup, coffee liqueur and vanilla.

The coffee and chocolate are forward with a mild sweetness followed by vanilla and marshmallow flavors. There is some oak on the end finishing in a boozy astringent dryness reminding me of lower quality bourbon.

The mouthfeel is silky and delightful but thinner than I'd like. The thin mouthfeel makes this beer easier drinking than other barrel aged stouts.

Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite beers and I love how KBS shares some similarities and adds some of the benefits of barrel aging. The end result is very good but it falls short of my high expectations. The flavors are big but aren't well integrated. The thin body combined with the astringent boozy finish kill it for me until I take another sip of the chocolately goodness.

04-17-2014 01:06:34 | More by brianmandell
hudsonskunk

Indiana

I do not fan boy a lot of beer, but for me, this is as good as it gets.

This beer pours darker than most any beer I have seen. The color resides somewhere between french press coffee, and oil. If poured in a tulip glass the edges reflect a beautiful tinge of mahogany.

The smell is unreal. This beer is 11.2abv, and you can smell a little bit of alcohol. Most of the aroma from beer rests around roasted flavors, peaking around bitternotes with flavors of coffee and oak, and sweet notes with touches of cream and molasses.

Taste is out of this world. When served chilled your roasted barleys and chocolates pop along with bitter notes of american hops. The aromas of hop flavors are suppressed between coffee and cocoa notes, but the bitterness is still there bringing out some of the sweeter tastes of malted milk, and cream. At a more cellar temp. this beer will bust out fruity elements hinting at notes of wild blackberry. Like I said before, the alcohol still supplies a noticeable bite on the back end.

Mouthfeel is perfectly weighted drifting slowly over all plains of the tongue dancing ever so slightly between savory and sweet tastes. Viscosity looks a lot heavier than it actually is, but this comes as a relief in the end as the flavors are so complex a quick finish is most likely favored to ensure all elements of the beer can be enjoyed. (just my opinion, may be total bullshit.)

Overall, this beer is the only beer I would go broke for. It only comes once a year, and it is by far the most consistent and satisfying beer that founders currently produces. If you get a chance, enjoy this beer with a friend, but beware, you may never experience something this good again.

04-15-2014 17:26:10 | More by hudsonskunk
ChrisChagnon

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black like motor oil, with a tiny off-white head

The smell was just a huge chocolate and coffee on the nose. A little hint of alcohol but not much to mask the nose.

Taste was just awesome, everything was blended together perfectly (bourbon, chocolate and even more coffee once it sat for a bit) Slight bourbon bite, but not bad at all.

Thick filling mouth-feel to this one, chewy and just coats the inside of your mouth completely. In a good way.

This beer is good, but after having BCBCS this year, I wasnt as impressed as I was in my original review, so I redid the review.

04-15-2014 14:39:04 | More by ChrisChagnon
TravlynMan

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hello!! My first review, fitting it should be with such a demigod know as the KBS...

So I tried three bottles at three different temps over three days to get all the possible flavors I could out of the beer. First off this beer does a great job masking the alcohol at 11.2 %. Started with refrigerated bottle into snifter which gave off vague bourbon tones (good thing) but had to wait tor the dark chocolate and coffee tones to become more present as beer warmed. Second day poured room temp into pint glass. Chocolate and coffee tones more present in smell which becomes sort of an oatmeal cookie (again good thing). Third was cellari-sh temp and followed more like the second tasting. Overall very smooth and rich, the best BALANCED bourbon barrel aged stout I've had but I've Only just begun...

04-14-2014 22:10:52 | More by TravlynMan
Kevin-Wieken

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
Founders Brewing Company, Michigan
---from bottle to tulip---

Appearance
Almost entirely black, deep brown around edges when held to light. Little khaki head.

Smell
Mocha and bourbon, very subtle, hint of vanilla

Taste
Dark chocolate, bold coffee, slightly burnt malt, heavy bourbon – very awesome

Mouth-feel
Medium bodied, good bitter to sweet, starts and finishes with bourbon, 11ABV gives it a warming feel and makes this beer last a good while

Overall
Definitely worth the hype. I was able to secure three bottles (2014) and paid dearly for them. I would do it again. Very complex and inviting stout. Almost perfect!

04-12-2014 02:59:51 | More by Kevin-Wieken
Abe_Froman

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Poured nice and dark with a slight amber edge and a milk chocolate head.

Smelled of chocolate and coffee with some malt. I found the smell a bit more subtle than other reviewers.

Flavor was a bit lighter than I was expecting given the pour. Taste sweet on the tongue with hints of coffee/bitter and warm almost bright bourbon flavors without the whisky bite.

Feels light on the tongue and flows freely through the mouth. leaves a nice warm feeling on the back and sides of the palette.

Over all an enjoyable experience. Though given the hype I have been hearing over the last few years I was expecting a bit more.

04-11-2014 05:55:01 | More by Abe_Froman
Zekenyce

Perfection!!!! And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like dark heavy beers.
My buddy at the liquor store was able to hold one bottle for me. It took more than a year to finally get my hands on it and it sure did not disappoint. It was definitely worth the $20 I paid for it. And that was a bargain considering it sells for $30 and it takes years to even get.

04-11-2014 03:44:59 | More by Zekenyce
epickup

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on this after two years of trying and I was not disappointed.

I'm not an IPA pimp by any stretch & I don't like most rice adjunct crap from the mega breweries.

This case cost me right around $122.00 give or take some change but was split between several friends buying in. averaged out around $5 / bottle.

smell: Good lord in heaven can this be an aftershave?

taste: dark chocolate, coffee, something sweet I couldn't place, honey maybe, milk chocolate? Great notes from the bourbon cask.

first drink: not sure - my eyes rolled back in my head. The flavor was amazing, I wonder how this beer would do under Nitrogen, instead of CO2

second drink: able to taste the above flavors, a bit of euphoria, and I could feel the alcohol evaporating in my mouth. No lingering, nasty aftertaste.

end of bottle: small buzz, definitely slightly impaired.

halfway through second bottle: I feel like I've had about 9 Yeunglings in an hour, on my own buzz-rating.

I'd love to taste the difference from bottle to tap, but I get the feeling there really wouldn't be much of one.

damn glad I bought it, damn glad I drank it.

04-10-2014 23:27:43 | More by epickup
GinjaSlice

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: real dark black, my pour had no head, but there was good lacing with a nice milk chocolate color.
S: hot damn does this beer smell amazing. There's so much going on, at first I get a sweet malty and chocolate smell, accompanied by some coffee and followed by a burnt chocolate smell finishing with bourbon.
T: Taste is similar to the smell. Unfortunately not as perfect. At first lots of great sweet chocolate flavors balanced out by some bitter coffee. The mid taste is where it loses me as you get the kick and burn of the bourbon but then its followed by some delicious chocolate after taste.
M: really great for such a flavorful beer very light and easy to drink.

04-10-2014 05:57:47 | More by GinjaSlice
TheFizzinator

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Dark liquid poured, delicious looking milk chocolate head. The smell, the bouquet brings it all together chocolates, light coffee, delightful spicy bourbon, espresso, and vanilla. Taste is even better than the nose if that's possible. There's not much alcohol burn or presence of alcohol except for the delicious bourbon flavors. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and thi beer is as easily drinkable as something with much lower ABV. One of the smoothest stouts I've ever tasted.

The hype machine on KBS runs on overdrive but its a worthy beer to be sure. Maybe not "quite" as marvelous as the beer geeks would have you believe but for the money I can't name a better stout.

04-10-2014 03:48:56 | More by TheFizzinator
NCalement

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle poured into a Sexual Chocolate TEKU.

A- Pour is pitch black with a fast milk chocolate head. You con't see through this one at all. Nice lacing, looks very good for the style.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. Roasted malt, french toast, vanilla, burn form the booze, and sweet malt. Smell is perfect. Everything you want and more.

T- Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, slight bitter roast, fudge, bourbon, and Nesquik. What a great complex stout. Move over BCBCS this is it.

M- Perfect, wont waste time explaining, its perfect.

O- By far one of the best stouts, BA stouts, chocolate stouts, coffee stouts, beers and beverages period. This is best fresh, trust me, no need to age hoarders.

04-10-2014 03:04:50 | More by NCalement
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

A: After letting the bottle sit out of the fridge for a half hour (agonizing), the beer was poured into a tulip glass with moderate aggression. The head built 1 finger tall the color of tan leather with dense tiny bubbles. After sitting for about a minute the foam receded into the pitch black liquid leaving behind a wave of lacing on the glass. No light shines through the beer when held to a light. Moderate alcohol legs pop out when the beer is agitated.

S: The nose is full of rich dark chocolate, sweet cocoa, hints of vanilla, mild caramel and toffee, very complex. Although I can detect the vanilla and toasted barrel character with a hint of bourbon it doesn't come off alcoholic at all. No hop aroma detected. Light coffee and roasted notes come out on further inspection.

T: Lots of complex chocolate flavors, dark chocolate, bakers chocolate, milk chocolate only a small roast and a nice coffee finish. The middle malts are caramel, toffee and candy raisins that have a nice balancing sweetness with the barrel tannins. Vanilla character coming through with the oak throughout the experience. No hop flavor, and the bitterness is just enough to keep the sweetness from being cloying.

M: There is a large body with mild carbonation that leads to a nice creamy mouthfeel. No astringency detected. Alcohol warming is surprisingly minimal. And that nice tingly sensation with a well made bourbon barrel beer.

O: KBS really shines in its chocolate and barrel flavor balancing act. Its extremely drinkable not overly sweet and has a nice body. Theres not much out there as well brewed as KBS, a shame I could only get 2 bottles this year.

04-10-2014 01:37:18 | More by guityler83
BradenMK

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

(In the interest of full-disclosure, this IS my first KBS tasting)

APPEARANCE (3.75) - Poured pitch black and let not a ray of light escape its grasp, as any self-respecting imperial stout should, unfortunately, had only a fleeting, fizzy head, and left no lacing. It was certainly above-average looking, but definitely not amazing in appearance. But hey, looks can be deceiving.

SMELL (4.5) - Vanilla. Bourbon. Maple Syrup. Dark Chocolate. Holy shit. Surprisingly, I don't pick up the coffee on the nose. I'd be interested to know at least a cursory summation of the recipe for this beer. Even though I don't care as much for bourbon barrel stouts, this smells almost perfect.

TASTE (4.75) - It's outstanding. I don't understand all the hate over this beer. Such a great depth of flavor with a balanced nuance of malt sweetness, upfront bourbon, followed by black coffee, and finally a lasting cocoa note that lingers as the heat from the alcohol warms all the way down. And yet, with all that alcohol, I wasn't hit by a harsh heat on the tongue, and the flavor wasn't influenced by alcohol burn at all. That's a good stout. The barrel-character itself may be a little drowned out by the coffee and bourbon (and any actual chocolate if there is some in the recipe), but it's perceptible in the after-taste. Oh, man, the coffee here is so much better integrated than it is in FBS, and it melds with the bourbon notes into a wholly different beast. Now I've gotta see how this compares with something like Toppling Goliath's Mornin' Delight. The chocolate definitely does come forward a bit more as the beer warms.

I've gotta say, with this beer jumping to 5th overall on the top 250 list this year, I was very skeptical that it would actually stand up to the hype. I am very much glad that it did. Maybe I've got blinders on because I'm just tasting it this year. Maybe it was better in years' past like so many people say it was. But that just goes to show how great a beer it still is.

Ha! I even got a slight cherry note on my last sip. What a nice little send-off to an already amazing beer.

MOUTHFEEL (3.75) - A little thin, which isn't truthfully unexpected from a beer with so many alterations and additions. Coffee + bourbon + lots of alcohol - it can unbalance the base recipe a little and break up some of those proteins. Not watery by any stretch of the imagination, but in terms of thickness, this guy doesn't measure up to beasts like Founders Imperial Stout or Yeti.

OVERALL (4.5) - Will I say I like this better than the more readily available Imperial Stout? That's hard to say, but after a few moments deliberation, I don't think so. But am I going to bash it for being so hard to get my hands on? Absolutely not. It is clearly a beer that is more difficult to make and more difficult to balance. If I liked bourbon in my stouts more, then this would absolutely be MUCH better than FIS. There is a LOT going on here, and I'm glad I got to try it. Am I going to go out seeking it every year from now on? Well... yeah, a little bit. It's not overpriced at all, so if I find it, and I will look for it, even if only a little, I am definitely going to buy some. Great, great beer. Founders nails it again.

Thanks again, Core42, you are a true Beer Advocate, my friend!

04-09-2014 23:36:40 | More by BradenMK
nilesschmidt

Nebraska

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

a - black, dark tan head that dissipates quickly

s - as good as it gets, coffee, chocolate and whisky all come thru well balanced

t - amazing, only reason its not a 5 is the whisky is a little hot, time will mellow and help this tremendously , i cant wait to try a 12 or 13

m - very solid, finishes light in comparison to other coffee stouts

o - one of my favorite beers all time, rich, smooth and delicious, fantastic beer, believe the hype!

04-09-2014 20:50:27 | More by nilesschmidt
1000lbgrizzly

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Black viscous body, red tinge around the edge with the proper lighting. No head was produced on my pour, nor is carbonation visible through the opaque body. No lacing, either.

S: Strong notes of burnt malt, coffee, chocolate, smoke, and faint alcohol burn. A little harsh, but loud and clear.

T: Started off with dark chocolate (yum), turned to smoke and harsh bourbon (ok, but disruptive), palate ends with semi-sweet chocolate, smoke, coffee, maple wood, coconut and vanilla (more like a traditional beer, with more than one flavor apparent at once). Very enjoyable, especially the very well done and realistic chocolate notes, but that middle stage was harsh. Alcohol readily present on the finish throughout.

M: Medium bodied, nice and thick but too oily for my preferences, appropriate carbonation.

O: Doesn't cut any corners, for better of worse. Those chocolate notes are incredible- I think they snuck a bar of chocolate into my bottle. Those alcohol/whiskey notes are lifelike- I think they isolated pockets of straight ethanol in my bottle, too. Very well rounded stout, tons of flavors that I can honestly say I've never experienced before (coconut) or at least not with such clarity. The expectations were high, no doubt, and while it did not live up to them it still surpassed nearly every other stout (and most beers of any category). Try to avoid any hype and simply enjoy it for the fantastic beer that it is.

04-09-2014 06:55:20 | More by 1000lbgrizzly
Immortale25

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. There's a number near the base of the bottle: 14213421. No idea what it's supposed to mean.

A- Pours a fully opaque motor oil black color with a 1/4 inch light brown head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a small side patch of bubbly surface foam. Strange lacing that's split into three columns and is not-so-resilient.

S- Nice waft of oak and vanilla that's sweet and carries with it notes of chocolate and mild coffee. I really like this because of its sweetness. You can definitely smell the bourbon but the brown sugar/caramel/maple notes round it out to make it quite awesome.

T- Initial dark chocolate flavors wind their way across the vanilla, bourbon and finally coffee notes to make for a complex, nearly decadent, drink. The booze becomes apparent after a few hearty swigs but never gets in the way of enjoyment. Wonderful cherrywood finish.

M- Nearly the best part of the beer. Soft, silky smooth and semi-syrupy. Medium-low carbonation and the fullest of bodies.

O- Wow. Fuck all the haters that say "It was better last year, the year before, the year before..." This is a premium BBA stout. While the coffee isn't as prevalent as expected, I've had enough BBA stouts to know this is one of the best. Killer drinkability, incredible flavor and feel.

04-09-2014 03:51:14 | More by Immortale25
SavvyStudent

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pitch black and very thick like syrup. Little lacing
S: a predominating bitter chocolate, cherry sweetness, and molasses. Not as potent as I would have hoped with all of the hype.
T: a unique dry bourbon flavor behind a bitter chocolate. Well balanced and focused in those two notes for me.
M: heavy with little carbonation
O: an amazing well balanced beer but not up to the hours finding and extreme hype. Worth a try but have enjoyed other BB Stouts that surpass this. Hopefully it will aeg well.

04-09-2014 02:10:11 | More by SavvyStudent
Mikecap

Louisiana

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a jet black with a finger of dark brown head that fades to a lovely lace.

S: Strong black coffee dominates, touches of oak and sweet booze come through. Also touches of honey, chocolate and loads of sweet malt.

T: The first touch is nice freshly roasted coffee, chocolate, and definite strong bourbon. A nice vanilla and oaky flavor is evident as well but the coffee and alcohol dominate.

M: Full bodied with just-right carbonation and a noticeable alcohol burn. This is a pleasant sipper as the booze is there, but doesn't dominate. The flavors mesh together and it even gets better as it warms.

O: Definitely hyped, and for good reason. This is an amazing barrel-aged coffee stout that I'm glad I got to try. If you like barrel-aged beers, coffee beers, or big stouts this is a must try.

04-09-2014 01:59:31 | More by Mikecap
Reed_iTap

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured and served into a snifter. Black pour with a dark tan creamy head with good lacing.

S: Coffee and bourbon aromas hit your nose in the best way.

T: with the first drink, heavy chocolate hints hit my tongue blended with coffee grounds and a bourbon finish.

M: This was very smooth and easy to drink; I would have forgot about the alcohol content if the bourbon didn't shine through so well.

O: The hype of the beer was lived up to. I have heard so many great things and I wS fortunate to try it for the first time this year. The bourbon could be a little more mellow, however I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

04-09-2014 01:54:37 | More by Reed_iTap
tmbgnicu

Yes, I am calling this beer perfect. I cannot get over how all of the wonderful flavors blend together to create such a unique experience. My initial taste was bourbon, but as the beer warmed more and more flavors came to light, especially malt and chocolate. I found one bottle, but I need to find at least one more before this goes away for the year, I'd like to age it some and taste the results. Smooth, clean, fresh. As the description says, this is not simply barrel aged breakfast stout, this is an entirely different beer. An amazing experience.

Bottle poured into a snifter

04-08-2014 22:32:57 | More by tmbgnicu
JamieDuncan

Maryland

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Good friend had snagged one of these and held onto it to split with me and my beer guru. What can be said, awesome beer, smell could be rated above 5 and with the ABV so high it gets an overall as almost perfect. I would love to track down some more of these.

04-08-2014 21:59:48 | More by JamieDuncan
dank203

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

here goes, one of the top rated beers in the world.

kbs 2014: most drinkable beer for the size. goes down like nothing with the alcohol so well masked. the bourbon is more in the finish. fair amount of hops come through with it. aromas of rich caramel, butterscotch, dark chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. flavor complex, a little bitter, big explosion of chocolate and coffee. very thick and actually chewy.

kbs 2013: reminds me more of a dark chocolate cake. boozey aromas. some dark fruits, cherry, bourbon comes through pretty mellow. really not getting much coffee. even the fresh, raw chocolate note has died down a lot. the only positive difference here is the mellow smoothness of it that seems to have evolved. not as much an explosion of flavor like it is when fresh.

prefer the fresh bottle. if you can get more than one bottle, its worth aging one just to realize your preference. my preference is to have this within a month of attaining it. In fact, I think everyone should have it fresh at least once. it shows you the full flavor profile. THEN age one, and decide. Just my suggestion!

04-08-2014 13:57:28 | More by dank203
xungmound98

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter. Pitch black color with about 1/4” of mocha-colored head. Swishing the beer around leaves an oily residue and spotty lacing on the sides. Smell is an intense mix of chocolate, coffee, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. Taste is equally complex, and includes all the aforementioned; heavy on roasted malts. A mild wave of bourbon heat shows up in the throat after every sip. After the first taste it's hard to restrain myself from downing this in a minute. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and palette-coating. An exceptional beer.

04-08-2014 00:06:50 | More by xungmound98