2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Ratings: 7,077 | Reviews: 2,412 | Show All Ratings:
WOBrewstraveler

Enjoyed on tap from a snifter at Plan B in Simsbury, CT. I didn't want to go right out with all 5s for this review, but truthfully could find nothing to critique that wasn't on-par and expected in the style. It poured black as pitch with a cocoa-colored head. The nose is complex with coffee and vanilla notes right up front preparing my palate for deliciousness. And delicious it was, with all the roasted coffee at first, followed by the sweetness from the bourbon-barrel aging and malts. An outstanding stout, worthy of 100 rating.

04-18-2014 23:49:00 | More by WOBrewstraveler
bigjerk89

3.08/5  rDev -33.5%

This has to be the most overrated beer I've ever had. I've been waiting a long time to try try this beer. I was very disappointed. I asked the bartender to check the keg to make sure it was KBS. He knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed with me. Zero bourbon flavor. If this beer was aged in bourbon barrels, then it wasn't for long or the barrel had been used several times. This beer tasted like an iced coffee. The mouth feel was thin. If you think this is a great beer, I suggest you try a goose island bourbon county stout. Everyone around me said the same thing. I enjoyed the beer, just did not live up to the hype.

04-16-2014 00:23:38 | More by bigjerk89
Murph-Dawg

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lynnfield Yardhouse had a small release on tap of both 2013 and 2014, I preferred the 2013 but both had Excellent flavor, well worth the lunchtime trip!

2013 was a bit stronger of a bourbon but was soo good!!!

2014 seemed slightly less bold in terms of the bourbon flavor but again absolutely lived up to the reputation!

This beer is the real deal, completely deserving of all the hype!!

04-12-2014 22:46:23 | More by Murph-Dawg
GregA135

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed this one at House of 1000 Beers. Had it on tap along with other Founder's Brewing Company Beers! This was a delicious stout! Poured a dark brown with a tan head. Smelled of coffee beans, a hint of chocolate, and bourbon. Once it hit my palate it was a nice and smooth body and tasted great! Tasted of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and a bit of vanilla! Founders Brewing Company you guys did good! Two Thumbs Up!!!!

04-12-2014 18:39:27 | More by GregA135
hail_seitan

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

8 oz poured from tap in what appeared to be a juice glass

A - Rich black color with a minimal caramel head.

S - Toffee, dark chocolate, tobacco, espresso, and, of course, bourbon. However, none of these scents were overpowering and instead just invite you in for a taste.

T - At first, very similar to the smell. Upfront, I pick up the espresso and dark chocolate notes. However, neither is too strong. Next comes a touch of the bourbon, along with oaky vanilla, figs, and caramel. The finish again brings out bourbon flavors with a hint of warm grain alcohol as it goes down.

M - This was perhaps my favorite part of the beer. The oatmeal imparts a glutinous and almost chewy mouthfeel to the beer. The body is full, but not overtly syrupy. Fantastic.

O - I was astonished by the complexity and balance of this brew. None if the flavors dominated and instead they worked together in harmony to create a splendid beer. Even my fiancée, who usually does not like barrel-aged beers, thought it was great.

04-12-2014 13:13:48 | More by hail_seitan
vonnerbeer

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

2013 and 2014 Vertical pours at Yard House, Lynnfield, MA. 2013 has mellowed nicely with with subtle bourbon and coffee notes. Mouthfeel and body is slightly thinner than expected, but doesn't disappoint. 2014 is a little hot, but delicious none the less.

04-09-2014 13:55:17 | More by vonnerbeer
SlothB77

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at RFD DC Chinatown. 6 oz for $10. I got two back-2-back. Drank this with my good friend Dan. He wasn't as impressed as I was, going in knowing the hype. He preferred BCBCS.

I liked this more as a vanilla bomb. I don't get the coffee as much. I get the malt. I get the chocolate. The classic bourbony/ vanilla flavor i love so much. Black, smooth, creamy. No charring. No bitterness. I probably prefer the regular BCBS, but this is still phenomenal. Definitely worth a try, even if it is $10 for 6 oz.

04-08-2014 23:33:15 | More by SlothB77
ali1987

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- jet black body with minimal mocha colored head

S- chocolate, malt, bourbon, vanilla... Very little coffee.

T- very similar to the nose. Chocolate, followed by bourbon, & finishing with vanilla. Coffee is barely there.

M- thick, smooth body. Moderate carbonation.

O- Great beer with complex flavors. I'd like to taste more coffee though. For such a high ABV, it's very easy to drink.

04-08-2014 22:18:01 | More by ali1987
drdiesel9483

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look - dark as night.
Smell - malty, sweet smell. Almost like maple syrup smell.
Taste - taste like strong coffee with bourbon added. Maybe too much alcohol taste. You can taste the bourbon for sure! Get's better when it's a little warmer.
Feel - highly carbonated thick pallet. I'd say this is just slightly over carbonated but not by much.
Overall - great beer! If you like coffee and bourbon you'd love this beer!

04-07-2014 21:13:39 | More by drdiesel9483
JasonHaviland

New Hampshire

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Utterly fantastic. Worth the chase. Great notes of chocolate, oatmeal and brown sugar. Bourbon barrel aging adds great complexity. Strong through the mid-palate and smooth on the finish. Tasted at a tap takeover in Boston in a tulip glass. If you are able to find it on-tap, you won't be disappointed.

04-07-2014 01:39:47 | More by JasonHaviland
skipxtracer

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%

Had this on draft at the founders event at tap and mallet. Dark black with no head. I am not usually crazy about stouts but this is incredible. Dark chocolate, coffee, coconut flavors. A little effervescence at the end. I can't believe how great this tastes.

04-05-2014 15:46:54 | More by skipxtracer
peacemakers48

The Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the second best stout I have ever had next to the Bourbon County Coffee. Nice flavour all the way through and is remarkably smooth. Although the alcohol content is high, the taste is really light. This is a stout I could drink a bunch of as opposed to the coffe which is more if a one and done.

04-05-2014 15:09:42 | More by peacemakers48
hodsongolf

This is always one of the most hyped/limited beers out there in my area (RVA). I even went to the big box total wine the day it was supposed to be delivered and the manager told me they were only getting 1 case (1 bottle per person). imagine my surprise to find it on draft at Brew (chester, VA). Now I know what all the hype is about.

04-04-2014 20:09:40 | More by hodsongolf
s8bored

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

The 2014 KBS release was as delicious as last year and the previous.

Enjoyed on tap with good friends. Appearance was dark and chocolatey with passable light filtering through its heavy depths.

Nose was coffee and dark molasses. Great nose filling stoutiness.

Taste was chocolate and coffee. Dark toast. And booze! Nice warming going sensation going down.

Slight carbonation. Just the right amount of viscosity.

Overall, one of the best barrel aged stouts around. A enigma for some and a legend to others.

04-04-2014 18:40:49 | More by s8bored
curasowa

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Opaque, black, dark as night, just a thin cap of tan head and an oily film on the surface.

Aroma: All the usual suspects; roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, hints of vanilla.

Taste: Amazing. Creamy, smooth, infinitely drinkable. Roasted malt, dark roast coffee, bittersweet chocolate, just short of sticky sweet. Finish is a lingering molasses/roasted taste that makes you want more.

The Rest: Phenomenal. This one totally lived up to the hype.

04-04-2014 01:30:51 | More by curasowa
dexterk1

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 version on tap. Appearance was flat black with a small brown head on the pour I had. The head had some staying power.
The aroma was excellent. I would say very close to breakfast stout. Chocolate, caramel, coffee and a little bourbon of course.
Taste was what I would call very expected. Outstanding. Breakfast stout dark sweetness and chocolate. Some coffee as well. These with a little bourbon thrown in. Not boozy or over powering, the bourbon flavor was very complementary. The alcohol comes through near the end as well. Mouth feel is smooth and creamy. Rich and sweet on the tongue.
Overall, excellent. I would say it was a little shy of breakfast stout itself. That is a very high standard though.

04-03-2014 00:14:07 | More by dexterk1
jmadiadora19

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Ill start out by saying wow. This beer definitely lives up to the hype surrounding it and exceeded my expectations. As an IPA lover, stouts usually aren't on the top of my list. Plain and simple if you like bourbon and the deep, rich flavor of dark roast coffee you will love this. Much more complex flavor profile than most stouts I have tried, the bourbon is very pronounced on the nose and flavor (I feel it would be better with some age). The heat of the abv is there, allowing for the beer to seem much larger than I thought.

A-very little carbonation and poured jet black

S-like bourbon and coffee. Some vanilla notes as well

T-very complex and balanced. The bourbon was the noticeable of all flavors

M-my favorite aspect. Perfect level of carbonation and nice slick consistency

O-seek this beer out. Imo doesn't matter what style of beer you are into this will be a treat. Cheers from Denton, TX and Oak Street Draft House!

04-02-2014 01:53:45 | More by jmadiadora19
TheosTheories

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

On draft at world of beer

A- pitch black, small head that doesn't last

S- coffee, vanilla, perfect about of boubon!

T- I'm getting that bourbon up from but it isn't over the top, it's balanced amazingly with the roasted coffee, and dark chocolate, a nice vanilla is also coming through.

M- mouth feel is perfect, on the lighter side of full, sticky and coats the mouth nice.

O- overall a perfect barrel aged stout. It is exactly what I'm looking for in one. Nice bourbon but isn't over the top like I feel like goose islands bourbon county is.

04-01-2014 23:17:01 | More by TheosTheories
okmit_eel

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had the 2014 release of this at HopCat during their release date. The bar got packed up and pretty hectic for a while. This beer is fantastic. Warmed it up in the hands a bit to bring out some of the other flavors, as it was too cold to taste of them when first poured. Can't beat drinking this with the actual owners of Founders!

03-25-2014 18:14:16 | More by okmit_eel
scm3

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

6oz draft in a small snifter.

A: Dark, dark brown with a caramel colored head

S: Chocolaty, Coffee, Caramel-vanilla

T: Very sweet with a delicious Bourbon taste that was not overly boozy

M: Thick and smooth, like a cream dream.

O: A very delicious beer! The hype is a little crazy, but if the beer consumers allow for it you can't really blame breweries for capitalizing. I went to two tastings around Grand Rapids and both co-founders of Founders were at each with a beer in hand to chat with people. Pretty awesome.

03-21-2014 21:46:54 | More by scm3
Badger6

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

8-9oz draft...in a plastic cup because the bar ran out of glass tulips. Samples at Buffalo Wild Wings at 8 Ionia St NW, in Grand Rapids MI, Mar 20, 2014. Was home in GR for a medical emergency int he family...but had to make time for this.

A: Pitch black, almost no head, a few groupings of brown bubble son the surface.

S: Dominant bourbon and a roasty malt aromas. Hints of coffee and vanilla.

T: Unbelieveable! Bourbon up front, a really smooth bourbon flavor. Notes of roasted malts, hints of coffee and vanilla. Slight flavor of the alcohol, but as a nice warm complement to the main flavors.

M: Robust but velvety smooth. Soft on the palate.

O: Nearly perfect beer, of any style, this is simply an amazing beer that must be sampled.

03-20-2014 22:25:08 | More by Badger6
bdubs22

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The story behind my trying this beer made it worth it even more. While visiting some friends in Kalamazoo, MI, several friends suggested making a trip to Grand Rapids to try the seasonal release of the KBS from Founders. We arrived around 5 am in the morning to find people wrapped around the brewery almost twice over. By the time noon rolled around, we found out that cases were no longer being sold because of the unanticipated number of people in queue. 30 minutes later, 12-packs were no longer available, and eventually by the time there were less than 50 people in front of us, we were informed that there were no longer any bottles available but the taproom still had plenty. We went in and I bought a pint and was immediately impressed. For a stout-drinker like myself, it was the epitome of perfection! It is slightly sweet from the higher-ABV, but otherwise a world-class beer!

03-12-2014 21:27:33 | More by bdubs22
dinosvino

If I could give this 6's all around I would. let me start off by saying that this is not in my typical wheelhouse. I'm a hop head through and through but this was one that I couldn't pass up. I was up in Waterbury VT for a beer release this past weekend and was fortunate enough to find myself at the Prohibition Pig - one of my favorite taprooms I might add. They had a keg of KBS from 2012 that they tapped. Immediately with your first sip you get notes of coffee but before you know it they are taken over by chocolate and vanilla. This is one of the smoothest beers that I have ever had. There is just no bitterness to it. If it wasn't for the ABV north of 11% I could drink this all night. This is the second time I was blessed with trying this beer. The first time was in the bottle.

02-20-2014 00:11:25 | More by dinosvino
drmcleod10

Missouri

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On Tap at Nightmare Before Christmas Itap Soulard This along with many other whales on draft…
Was so excited to try this… First server said they were out, asked a couple others and got 4 8 ounce pours of this guy. Probably approaching roughly 700 unique beers. Much of that coming in the last year

A - Motor oil thick dark beautiful pour with the dark khaki foam half inch head. Lacing is amazing.

S - Amazing coffee aroma in this beer that stood out incredibly.. smell blended very well with cocoa and very well hidden bourbon notes.

T - This was the best tasting beer IMO at this event with the likes of many other top 100 beers. This beer warmed up amazingly and more and more coffee, cocoa flavors came out as it approached 55-60. Alcohol is extremely well hidden in the taste as bourbon hints come through at the end. This taste exceeded my expectations regarding the hype surrounding this beer.

M - This beer was served too cold so waited for it to warm.. it because much thicker, creamier, smoother as it warmed up with a full bodied mouthfeel. Awesome finish on this beer.
THis beer exceed my expectations in terms of taste and finish.

O - First time having this and it was on draft… I've been blessed to get my hands on a few bottles in the last couple weeks and will be opening 1-2 on Christmas Eve. This beer is well worth the hype and lived up or exceeded my expectations.

Seek this one out if you can! Will be having it on draft again This upcoming saturday for Nightmare Before Christmas Itap Chesterfield

12-15-2013 19:15:26 | More by drmcleod10
Guess2814

4.34/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer.. Was a Bruce Lee spin kick to the face .. This beer took me over the top.. Wow! Strong but it tasted so enjoyable with my nice steak..I took my time with this beer.. Great! Beer!! Take your time and enjoy the quality .. It's a stout.. 3 times more intense then a Guinness ..

12-07-2013 00:07:00 | More by Guess2814