2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Ratings: 7,077 | Reviews: 2,412 | Show All Ratings:
skipxtracer

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%

Had this on draft at the founders event at tap and mallet. Dark black with no head. I am not usually crazy about stouts but this is incredible. Dark chocolate, coffee, coconut flavors. A little effervescence at the end. I can't believe how great this tastes.

04-05-2014 15:46:54 | More by skipxtracer
peacemakers48

The Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the second best stout I have ever had next to the Bourbon County Coffee. Nice flavour all the way through and is remarkably smooth. Although the alcohol content is high, the taste is really light. This is a stout I could drink a bunch of as opposed to the coffe which is more if a one and done.

04-05-2014 15:09:42 | More by peacemakers48
hodsongolf

This is always one of the most hyped/limited beers out there in my area (RVA). I even went to the big box total wine the day it was supposed to be delivered and the manager told me they were only getting 1 case (1 bottle per person). imagine my surprise to find it on draft at Brew (chester, VA). Now I know what all the hype is about.

04-04-2014 20:09:40 | More by hodsongolf
s8bored

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

The 2014 KBS release was as delicious as last year and the previous.

Enjoyed on tap with good friends. Appearance was dark and chocolatey with passable light filtering through its heavy depths.

Nose was coffee and dark molasses. Great nose filling stoutiness.

Taste was chocolate and coffee. Dark toast. And booze! Nice warming going sensation going down.

Slight carbonation. Just the right amount of viscosity.

Overall, one of the best barrel aged stouts around. A enigma for some and a legend to others.

04-04-2014 18:40:49 | More by s8bored
curasowa

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Opaque, black, dark as night, just a thin cap of tan head and an oily film on the surface.

Aroma: All the usual suspects; roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, hints of vanilla.

Taste: Amazing. Creamy, smooth, infinitely drinkable. Roasted malt, dark roast coffee, bittersweet chocolate, just short of sticky sweet. Finish is a lingering molasses/roasted taste that makes you want more.

The Rest: Phenomenal. This one totally lived up to the hype.

04-04-2014 01:30:51 | More by curasowa
dexterk1

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 version on tap. Appearance was flat black with a small brown head on the pour I had. The head had some staying power.
The aroma was excellent. I would say very close to breakfast stout. Chocolate, caramel, coffee and a little bourbon of course.
Taste was what I would call very expected. Outstanding. Breakfast stout dark sweetness and chocolate. Some coffee as well. These with a little bourbon thrown in. Not boozy or over powering, the bourbon flavor was very complementary. The alcohol comes through near the end as well. Mouth feel is smooth and creamy. Rich and sweet on the tongue.
Overall, excellent. I would say it was a little shy of breakfast stout itself. That is a very high standard though.

04-03-2014 00:14:07 | More by dexterk1
jmadiadora19

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Ill start out by saying wow. This beer definitely lives up to the hype surrounding it and exceeded my expectations. As an IPA lover, stouts usually aren't on the top of my list. Plain and simple if you like bourbon and the deep, rich flavor of dark roast coffee you will love this. Much more complex flavor profile than most stouts I have tried, the bourbon is very pronounced on the nose and flavor (I feel it would be better with some age). The heat of the abv is there, allowing for the beer to seem much larger than I thought.

A-very little carbonation and poured jet black

S-like bourbon and coffee. Some vanilla notes as well

T-very complex and balanced. The bourbon was the noticeable of all flavors

M-my favorite aspect. Perfect level of carbonation and nice slick consistency

O-seek this beer out. Imo doesn't matter what style of beer you are into this will be a treat. Cheers from Denton, TX and Oak Street Draft House!

04-02-2014 01:53:45 | More by jmadiadora19
TheosTheories

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

On draft at world of beer

A- pitch black, small head that doesn't last

S- coffee, vanilla, perfect about of boubon!

T- I'm getting that bourbon up from but it isn't over the top, it's balanced amazingly with the roasted coffee, and dark chocolate, a nice vanilla is also coming through.

M- mouth feel is perfect, on the lighter side of full, sticky and coats the mouth nice.

O- overall a perfect barrel aged stout. It is exactly what I'm looking for in one. Nice bourbon but isn't over the top like I feel like goose islands bourbon county is.

04-01-2014 23:17:01 | More by TheosTheories
okmit_eel

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had the 2014 release of this at HopCat during their release date. The bar got packed up and pretty hectic for a while. This beer is fantastic. Warmed it up in the hands a bit to bring out some of the other flavors, as it was too cold to taste of them when first poured. Can't beat drinking this with the actual owners of Founders!

03-25-2014 18:14:16 | More by okmit_eel
scm3

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

6oz draft in a small snifter.

A: Dark, dark brown with a caramel colored head

S: Chocolaty, Coffee, Caramel-vanilla

T: Very sweet with a delicious Bourbon taste that was not overly boozy

M: Thick and smooth, like a cream dream.

O: A very delicious beer! The hype is a little crazy, but if the beer consumers allow for it you can't really blame breweries for capitalizing. I went to two tastings around Grand Rapids and both co-founders of Founders were at each with a beer in hand to chat with people. Pretty awesome.

03-21-2014 21:46:54 | More by scm3
Badger6

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

8-9oz draft...in a plastic cup because the bar ran out of glass tulips. Samples at Buffalo Wild Wings at 8 Ionia St NW, in Grand Rapids MI, Mar 20, 2014. Was home in GR for a medical emergency int he family...but had to make time for this.

A: Pitch black, almost no head, a few groupings of brown bubble son the surface.

S: Dominant bourbon and a roasty malt aromas. Hints of coffee and vanilla.

T: Unbelieveable! Bourbon up front, a really smooth bourbon flavor. Notes of roasted malts, hints of coffee and vanilla. Slight flavor of the alcohol, but as a nice warm complement to the main flavors.

M: Robust but velvety smooth. Soft on the palate.

O: Nearly perfect beer, of any style, this is simply an amazing beer that must be sampled.

03-20-2014 22:25:08 | More by Badger6
bdubs22

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The story behind my trying this beer made it worth it even more. While visiting some friends in Kalamazoo, MI, several friends suggested making a trip to Grand Rapids to try the seasonal release of the KBS from Founders. We arrived around 5 am in the morning to find people wrapped around the brewery almost twice over. By the time noon rolled around, we found out that cases were no longer being sold because of the unanticipated number of people in queue. 30 minutes later, 12-packs were no longer available, and eventually by the time there were less than 50 people in front of us, we were informed that there were no longer any bottles available but the taproom still had plenty. We went in and I bought a pint and was immediately impressed. For a stout-drinker like myself, it was the epitome of perfection! It is slightly sweet from the higher-ABV, but otherwise a world-class beer!

03-12-2014 21:27:33 | More by bdubs22
dinosvino

If I could give this 6's all around I would. let me start off by saying that this is not in my typical wheelhouse. I'm a hop head through and through but this was one that I couldn't pass up. I was up in Waterbury VT for a beer release this past weekend and was fortunate enough to find myself at the Prohibition Pig - one of my favorite taprooms I might add. They had a keg of KBS from 2012 that they tapped. Immediately with your first sip you get notes of coffee but before you know it they are taken over by chocolate and vanilla. This is one of the smoothest beers that I have ever had. There is just no bitterness to it. If it wasn't for the ABV north of 11% I could drink this all night. This is the second time I was blessed with trying this beer. The first time was in the bottle.

02-20-2014 00:11:25 | More by dinosvino
drmcleod10

Missouri

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On Tap at Nightmare Before Christmas Itap Soulard This along with many other whales on draft…
Was so excited to try this… First server said they were out, asked a couple others and got 4 8 ounce pours of this guy. Probably approaching roughly 700 unique beers. Much of that coming in the last year

A - Motor oil thick dark beautiful pour with the dark khaki foam half inch head. Lacing is amazing.

S - Amazing coffee aroma in this beer that stood out incredibly.. smell blended very well with cocoa and very well hidden bourbon notes.

T - This was the best tasting beer IMO at this event with the likes of many other top 100 beers. This beer warmed up amazingly and more and more coffee, cocoa flavors came out as it approached 55-60. Alcohol is extremely well hidden in the taste as bourbon hints come through at the end. This taste exceeded my expectations regarding the hype surrounding this beer.

M - This beer was served too cold so waited for it to warm.. it because much thicker, creamier, smoother as it warmed up with a full bodied mouthfeel. Awesome finish on this beer.
THis beer exceed my expectations in terms of taste and finish.

O - First time having this and it was on draft… I've been blessed to get my hands on a few bottles in the last couple weeks and will be opening 1-2 on Christmas Eve. This beer is well worth the hype and lived up or exceeded my expectations.

Seek this one out if you can! Will be having it on draft again This upcoming saturday for Nightmare Before Christmas Itap Chesterfield

12-15-2013 19:15:26 | More by drmcleod10
Guess2814

4.34/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer.. Was a Bruce Lee spin kick to the face .. This beer took me over the top.. Wow! Strong but it tasted so enjoyable with my nice steak..I took my time with this beer.. Great! Beer!! Take your time and enjoy the quality .. It's a stout.. 3 times more intense then a Guinness ..

12-07-2013 00:07:00 | More by Guess2814
falloutsnow

3.76/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From: On-tap at Crane Alley, Urbana, IL
Date: 2013-11-24
Glass: Founder's Snifter

Founders' KBS is a good, fairly balanced stout that does not push its bourbon character to the forefront, which typically masks all other elements of the base beer. The result is a modestly coffee-chocolate syrup forward stout with nuances of bourbon, ethanol, and vanilla. The 2011 version features less subtle bourbon and vanilla than the 2013; perhaps brought out by extended aging. Regardless, 2011 or 2013, this isn't a beer that I think deserves the hype, nor is it one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Above average, but nothing exceptional or that I'd go out of my way for again.

Arrives with 0.5cm tall head of tan-colored bubbles, small and dense in size, leading to a frothy appearance. Foam retention is poor, fading to a thin ring around the glass in under one minute, leaving a ghostly island of foam atop the body of the beer. Lacing is good, a large scattering of dots and lines cling to the glass' sides after each sip. Body is a dark brown to black color, opaque, with light bringing out dark amber-red hues around the perimeter of the beer. Carbonation not visible through the opaque body.

Aroma is a bit milder than expected, of dried leaves, oak, instant coffee granules, chocolate syrup, vanilla, and no apparent bourbon. Good, but not amazing or one of the best aromas I've ever smelled in a beer.

Overall flavors are of dried coffee, chocolate syrup, modest ethanol and bourbon, with slight vanilla and smoke. Front of palate picks up freeze-dried coffee granules, chocolate syrup, mild bourbon and ethanol, hints of vanilla. Mid-palate of chocolate syrup, freeze-dried coffee, mild bourbon, mild ethanol, extremely faint vanilla: fairly rich, good, but not as deep or amazing as expected. Back of palate finds ethanol, freeze-dried coffee, and chocolate syrup. Aftertaste of smoky, freeze-dried coffee granules, with mild cocoa and sweetness, and lightly acrid bitterness.

Beer is medium-heavy to heavy in body, with low carbonation that makes this slightly foamy (1/5), but mostly smooth (4/5) on the palate. Appropriate for the style and this beer in particular. Closes dryly, with moderate to medium-heavy stickiness lingering on the palate.

11-25-2013 06:42:26 | More by falloutsnow
rjtx000

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Goodfriend - The moth was raffling out tickets just to be in line to buy a glass. Stopped in randomly after work to be pleasantly surprised.

Pours very black and syrupy, with a thin lace that lingers. Sweet toffy, caramel and bourbon flavors as expected. Was able to snag 2 glasses before the keg blew. Very pleasing overall.

11-22-2013 04:30:32 | More by rjtx000
kylehay2004

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Rare opportunity for me in the southeast to have this one. I had about a shot glass if it once before.

A: thin off white head with excellent lacing on a jet black body. A little more head and it would be perfect. May be pour related and do to the fact it is on draft

S: aroma is dominated by milk and dark chocolate and oak with vanilla, bourbon and dark fruit notes. I was sitting under a fan and yet the the aroma stayed full on the nose.

T: I had this one cold then let it warm up to are how it changes. The bourbon dominated when cold. As it warmed I got more chocolate, oak and vanilla. I must say I want more coffee which was more in the after taste. Last years seemed to have more coffee.

M: thick body but doesn't overly coat the palate, smooth with moderate carbonation. Carbonated a bit more than I wanted for the style to make it perfect but damn close.

Overall: I have tried many great beers and this one is at the top of that list. Best thing about it honestly is that it lives up to the hype which for a beer this highly rated is difficult to do. My biggest knock was not enough coffee to balance the sweetness. Alcohol is dangerously hidden

10-27-2013 22:25:43 | More by kylehay2004
PlinyTheYounger

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

KBS is a very limited release, and in recent years, the lines for the release have started early in the morning. That said, occasionally you can get some elsewhere. KBS is brewed with a massive amount of chocolate and coffee, then the brewers store it in bourbon barrels in an abandoned mine for 9-12 months to let the bourbon from the barrels soak into the beer.

KBS pours like a typical imperial stout: thick and impossible to see through. The head lasts for the duration of the beer. The notes of chocolate and coffee are strong, and the bourbon really hits on the back end of the beer. Because of the beer is so infused with bourbon, this is not a beer to drink quickly.

10-12-2013 12:46:44 | More by PlinyTheYounger
DMarlinJ

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

I am re-reviewing this based on having it on-tap now after first having it from the bottle.
I increased my scores because it was noticeably better and having some other big beers to compare it to again, this get my vote for what I like to drink best. This is as close to perfect for me as it can get based totally on drinking enjoyment and fit to style. It may have some flaws to the beer snobs but I don't care.

I hoped this would live up to it's hype. I love the smell and taste. The head is weak and faded quickly. There is a lot going on in the smell. Wood and bourbon barrel, chocolate and alcohol. It is rich and deep. I keep getting different notes as it warms. Long lasting in smell, stronger than most other beers.

My first impression of taste was milk chocolaty creamy goodness. Then the strong bourbon and oak comes in. Coffee is not as present to me as what I expected from others comments. Nice lingering flavors, nothing off putting. I would rate it higher but I think age can improve it by smoothing out some of bite. So I look forward to next year. I'll save 2 of my 4 for that.
After having it on tap, fresher may be better. It was very smooth but I had food with it too. So that may have improved my overall enjoyment of it.

The feel is perfect for me. Creamy, smooth full and rich. Frothy carbonation that is not biting or harsh. A bit sticky lasting coating but I like it. I like how the flavors come out just holding a full mouth it and slowly swallowing.

Overall I think the hype is bigger than the beer but it still is a great beer. So much to offer in complexity. There are a few beers I may like better for wow factor in flavor and drinkabilty but this is hard to beat. For the price it is definitely worth it.

10-06-2013 13:53:07 | More by DMarlinJ
micromaniac129

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

KBS! A legend of a beer, a hipe slayer.
Finally got to try this at the blue dog's wealth of riches. Even if it was only 5 oz.
What struck me most was how balanced this beer is in the aroma and flavor.
The appearance was deep black in color with a thick ringlet of mocha foam around the edges.
Due in part from the high ABV's most likely.
The aroma was simply fantastic with many different smells that played off each other.
Plenty of roasted malts, coffee and dark chocolates, creamy vanilla, oak, and bourbon. The aroma was complex, sutle and worked well together.
The taste was equally fantastic, more so actually. Bold and sutle, sweet and bitter with great deapth of flavor. Roasted malts, creamed coffee, milk chocolate, vanilla cream, oak peat and bourbon and the list goes on.
There is a sweetness that reigns in all the flavors, mellowing them out nicely.
At the end is a refined bourbon taste that warms and coats the tongue and mouth.
On the palate it drinks like a medium thick weight. It flows over the palate with the greatest of ease. Sticky sweetness lingers into a semi bitter and dry aftertaste.
It's interesting how the nose suggest a more robust dry and bitter taste say like a black coffee but it drinks smooth and creamy like coffee and cream. Perfectly aged.

WOW. A beautifully well rounded beer that easy drinking with great depth in flavor and aromas. WOW!

09-29-2013 12:36:29 | More by micromaniac129
OB1Kubota

What can I say this is the best stout ever. Thick, heavy, delicious, complex, may cure brain damage, water on the knee, and if made in large enough quantity, may be the conduit for world peace. Praise the lord and pass the KBS. More words needed, but words will only keep me from waiting for the first week in April when KBS is sold for all of 5 or 6 days.

09-21-2013 00:58:02 | More by OB1Kubota
Puliguy

4.35/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A. Pours dark as night with a tan head.

S. Hints of chocolate, oats, bitter hops

T. Hugh coffee flavors stand out with hints of dark chocolate.

M. Thick but not over whelming thick. Founders got this one right.

O. I would recommend this stout anyone who enjoys a good imperial stout

09-01-2013 15:33:11 | More by Puliguy
CloudStrife

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Two 8oz pours into snifters. 3.4.13 written in black marker on the keg collar.

A: Pours a very dark brown appearing black in the glass. A dark khaki head sits on top of this brew. One or two spots of lacing.

S: Nice blend of roasted malt and coffee with a mild bourbon incorporation. Fermented dark fruits come through as it warms, along with a touch of sweetness.

T: Very mellow for what I anticipated, extremely well balanced for such a bold beer. Bourbon is present but doesnt over power like it tends to with most aged beers, this time it feels like the flavor is in the beer not simply an addition. Chocolate provides an almost milk stout quality.

M: Creamy, velvety and very smooth. Booze are far from hot making the alcohol fairly hidden. Mild carbonation, full body.

Overall I am surprised at how balanced and flavorful this beer is. I expected more of a bourbon bomb but would prefer this craftily blended beer any day. All flavors work together in perfect harmony.

07-20-2013 18:14:28 | More by CloudStrife
jegross2

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the 2011 vintage of KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) (2011) from Founders Brewing Company out of Grand Rapids, Michigan. This is one of Founders' most well-known beers and probably their most sought out special annual release that is bottled. I have not been a fan of the 2012 or 2013 vintages, so I thought I would dig into my cellar to revisit the last year I recall enjoying this brew. I originally reviewed this vintage of KBS back in January 2012.

Score: 96

March 2011 vintage bottle served in a Founders' snifter and enjoyed on 07/07/13. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a jet black color with minimal head. Poor lacing and retention. 3.75/5

Smell: Stale coffee, vanilla, oak, and lots of chocolate. A little "old stout" smell and cocoa too. Still smells nice, but not nearly as sublime as when it was fresh. 4.25/5

Taste: One of the reasons this beer is so great is that it used to be so balanced (the last couple of years have been overly acidic/bitter in my opinion). The bitter chocolate and coffee in this vintage counters the sweet barrel and sweet chocolate notes. This bottle has become drier and more bitter with age, but it is not acidic or acrid. Despite being one of the post-vanilla vintages and two years, I still detect ample vanilla notes from the bourbon without the oak or brown sugar -- a lovely quality I think is quite lacking in the recent two years. Dark chocolate is also present, and there is less coffee than nose. Has an "old roastiness" quality to the flavor that I love. The vanilla present is mostly upfront, with the drier/bitter favors prevalent on the finish. The complexity of this brew really shines as it flows from the front of the tongue to the back, and it opens up nicely as it warms. 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, minimal carbonation. The mouthfeel has lost a little of the smoothness as it has dried out with age. The finish no longer leans sweet, and is arguably more balanced from the bitterness that has grown a bit in the flavor profile with age. I originally claimed it was a better beer than fresh Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout, but I think it's a slight notch below how the 2011 vintage is currently drinking. 4.75/5

Overall: As was the case with 2008 KBS, 2011 KBS is not quite the same beast that it was fresh (it was near perfect then), but I think that it is still drinking quite nicely with age and better than the fresher vintages. The coffee has faded a little and the brew has dried out some, but that has lent it a slightly better balance. I was surprised by how much vanilla I detected in this bottle considering that it is a post-vanilla vintage. Give me properly cellared KBS over the newer releases any day; hopefully Founders gets KBS back on track in 2014.

Cost: $5 for a 12 oz bottle.

---

Reviewing the infamous KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company. This beer was offered as part of a special bourbon themed beer tapping at the Brickhouse BBQ in Madison -- one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Due to a misunderstanding, a friend attending the event and GREAT customer service on the part of Brickhouse, I was able to enjoy a glass of KBS with my meal!
Score: 98

10 oz pour served in a globe glass from a 2011 vintage keg tapped at the Brickhouse BBQ on 01/21/12.

Appearance: The body is a completely opaque, jet black color -- almost looks like used motor oil. Served with no head save for a thin dark tan ring around the glass. Leaves an oily film of lacing along the side of the glass. 4.5/5

Smell: Dark chocolate, light vanilla, burnt sugar and smooth bourbon. Some tobacco and dark fruit. A very rich, slightly sweet aroma. 5/5

Taste: Dark, chewy chocolate and sweet raisins/fig upfront with a smooth bourbon and vanilla backbone throughout. There is no real alcohol bite to the bourbon. Some brown sugar and marshmallow on the midpalate. Increasing levels of bourbon marinated dark fruit flavors. Leathery tobacco. Lightly oaky/woody flavors mixed in there too. Finish is sweet bourbon soaked raisins and oaky chocolate. The raisin/bourbon flavors of the finish really linger. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, minimal carbonation. Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Finish is a little sweet, but not nearly as "sweet" as Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. 5/5

Overall: A ridiculously flavorful, balanced stout. Definitely a sipper, but this is not a beer you'd want to chug anyways. KBS is loaded with sweet robust stout flavors with all the deliciousness of bourbon without the alcohol bite. If not for Bourbon County Brand Stout, KBS would be my favorite barrel aged beer. This is a brew to seek out.

Recommendation: A must-seek out brew for everyone who can stomach any degree of bourbon flavors. I was not a fan of bourbon flavors in beer until recently, and even back in the day I enjoyed this beer.

Pairings: Duck legs or roasted duck.

Cost: $19.99 for a four pack.

07-05-2013 23:32:07 | More by jegross2