Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,394
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

deonreds, Apr 05, 2014

Pwbres, Apr 05, 2014
4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours very dark, 1 1/2 finger khaki brown lacy head, beautiful looking

S - Wow! awesome coffee undertones with vanilla, espresso, and chocolate up front

T - hits the palate with a great hint of that Bourbon, with coffee vanilla at the end; very smooth

M - very thick chocolate mouthfeel, very pleasant not to hard on the palate every sip was very well balanced

O - definitely lived up to its hype! I would love to compare '13 to this years batch. Though I was not disappointed! Awesome stuff!

j_rod22, Apr 05, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -8%

Tafyob41, Apr 05, 2014

I_BYE_MI_BEER, Apr 05, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

beer pours dark brown almost black to a medium khaki hear about 1 finger.

smell is up front bourbon, with chocolate undertones. the bourbon being the main focus.

drinks like perfection, each flavor is completely balanced and complements one another.

lace is smooth and does not leave a lasting aftertaste, chocolate, espresso and bourbon all in the profile, i want more.

i'm left yearning for another, only able to secure one bottle.

Ive been on the hunt for this beer since ive got into crafts. i was worried that this would not live up to the hype. For those who are worried, it did. ive drank other bourbon aged brews and no other are able to complement the flavor profiles. Everything in this beer seems to complement not overpower. I can with certainly say this is the pinnacle of my beer drinking to this point. i will be dreaming of this beer again. outstanding Founders, this make me feel doubly proud to be a Michigander.

Doerrijustmether, Apr 05, 2014
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Had to bribe my local craft beer store to actually sell me one of these. Enjoying it as I write this. This is by far the best I've had from Founders and definitely up there with some of my other favorite beers. It pours near black with a creamy brown head. The smell is fantastic, like chocolate milk and vanilla bourbon. I've had many stouts flavored with coffee and chocolate before but this one definitely takes the cake, far and away. The first thing that hits the palate is the oak and the bourbon with a little bit of coffee bitterness. You can definitely tell that this beer is 11.2% alcohol; it warms the throat but in a very pleasant way. The aftertaste is very forward on the chocolate with undertones of coffee. It was mildly carbonated, and I enjoyed it more as it warmed up. Overall, fantastic beer. I will try my best to find another before they all sell out, and I recommend that you do too!

tberry1693, Apr 05, 2014

4.25/5  rDev -8%

TubaDan, Apr 05, 2014

sunofneurot, Apr 05, 2014
4.91/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: 3/2/14 (I think? It's tough to see)
Drinking: 4/4/14 @ 7:30 PM
Setting: Living room couch, watching Bear Grylls: Escape from Hell- CANYONS

Scored one bottle this year. I tried for a few others, but it didn't work out. Happy to have one, and can't wait to enjoy this baby.

A: Poured into a snifter glass after letting the beer sit at room temp for 15 minutes. Poured somewhat aggressively and got a nice 1 1/2 finger of a chocolaty milk-like head. The beer itself is almost jet black with shades of deep purple. The heead fades over about 2 minutes to about 1/2 finger and caps the inky liquid beneath. Deep, dark, and sexy sexy, that's for sure.

S: Dark roasted coffee beans and vanilla cream immediately hit the nose. Huge chocolate presence with hints of bourbon and oak. A faint hint of cinnamon perhaps? Earthy hop tones balance out the rich malty sweetness. Bravo!

T: Taste follows the nose with the bitterness of the coffee and toasted vanilla up front. There's some glorious flavors in here: Creme brule', burnt caramel, roasted coffee and cream, oak, peat, char, toasted coconut, and enough balance from the earthy hop bitterneess to keep everything in check. A wonderful richness throughout.

MF: This beer leaves a lacquer-like coating on the tongue. It washes over all of the taste receptors in your mouth, and because of it's stickiness, allows for all of the flavors to linger and let themselves be experienced, before finishing dry. Really leaves you wanting more.

O: When I had this beer last year, I claimed it to be the best beer I've ever had. Since that time, I've been fortunate enough to try the likes of Heady Topper, Pliny The Elder, Goose Island BCBS, etc...Gun to my head, I'm a stout guy, and because of that, I still lean towards this offering as one of the best beers out there, if not the best. I know it's hyped beyond belief, but maybe-just-maybe it's worth it? Yep.

JeffoC6, Apr 05, 2014

Immortal6pack, Apr 05, 2014

Kratman, Apr 05, 2014

Got one from my beer guy today. Cracked it open tonight. Pours a midnight black with a small head. Smells nicely of chocolate. Slight coffee too. The coffee comes out a bit more with the first taste. Hmm. A bit tangy as well. Just the right amount of booziness. Mouthfeel is incredible. Thick, smooth, creamy. Overall a fantastic beer. Not quite as high in alcohol as ones like DFH120 or as boozy as BCBS, which, in my opinion, makes this one more enjoyably drinkable. My first perfect score.

DrStiffington, Apr 05, 2014

Cris4545, Apr 05, 2014

tsp247, Apr 05, 2014
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Good beer overall. Was handed to me by the beer buyer at my usual craft store. The way he talked about KBS you would think its the second coming. At $8.99 per bottle, it sure as heck should be.

The KBS did not disappoint. As good as it was, the price bothered me a bit for one reason: This beer tastes almost exactly like Dragon's Milk from New Holland. There are some differences, mainly the coffee and chocolate tones, but other than that its got that same boozy taste which I love.

Anyway, did I like this beer? YES. Would I buy it again? NO. I would rather have a good Dragon's Milk at half the price than wait and/or beg for a single bottle of this when its made once a year. Good it is, but that good, it ain't.

TysonNavarre, Apr 05, 2014