2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Ratings: 7,105 | Reviews: 2,412 | Show All Ratings:
epickup

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on this after two years of trying and I was not disappointed.

I'm not an IPA pimp by any stretch & I don't like most rice adjunct crap from the mega breweries.

This case cost me right around $122.00 give or take some change but was split between several friends buying in. averaged out around $5 / bottle.

smell: Good lord in heaven can this be an aftershave?

taste: dark chocolate, coffee, something sweet I couldn't place, honey maybe, milk chocolate? Great notes from the bourbon cask.

first drink: not sure - my eyes rolled back in my head. The flavor was amazing, I wonder how this beer would do under Nitrogen, instead of CO2

second drink: able to taste the above flavors, a bit of euphoria, and I could feel the alcohol evaporating in my mouth. No lingering, nasty aftertaste.

end of bottle: small buzz, definitely slightly impaired.

halfway through second bottle: I feel like I've had about 9 Yeunglings in an hour, on my own buzz-rating.

I'd love to taste the difference from bottle to tap, but I get the feeling there really wouldn't be much of one.

damn glad I bought it, damn glad I drank it.

04-10-2014 23:27:43 | More by epickup
GinjaSlice

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: real dark black, my pour had no head, but there was good lacing with a nice milk chocolate color.
S: hot damn does this beer smell amazing. There's so much going on, at first I get a sweet malty and chocolate smell, accompanied by some coffee and followed by a burnt chocolate smell finishing with bourbon.
T: Taste is similar to the smell. Unfortunately not as perfect. At first lots of great sweet chocolate flavors balanced out by some bitter coffee. The mid taste is where it loses me as you get the kick and burn of the bourbon but then its followed by some delicious chocolate after taste.
M: really great for such a flavorful beer very light and easy to drink.

04-10-2014 05:57:47 | More by GinjaSlice
TheFizzinator

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Dark liquid poured, delicious looking milk chocolate head. The smell, the bouquet brings it all together chocolates, light coffee, delightful spicy bourbon, espresso, and vanilla. Taste is even better than the nose if that's possible. There's not much alcohol burn or presence of alcohol except for the delicious bourbon flavors. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and thi beer is as easily drinkable as something with much lower ABV. One of the smoothest stouts I've ever tasted.

The hype machine on KBS runs on overdrive but its a worthy beer to be sure. Maybe not "quite" as marvelous as the beer geeks would have you believe but for the money I can't name a better stout.

04-10-2014 03:48:56 | More by TheFizzinator
NCalement

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle poured into a Sexual Chocolate TEKU.

A- Pour is pitch black with a fast milk chocolate head. You con't see through this one at all. Nice lacing, looks very good for the style.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. Roasted malt, french toast, vanilla, burn form the booze, and sweet malt. Smell is perfect. Everything you want and more.

T- Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, slight bitter roast, fudge, bourbon, and Nesquik. What a great complex stout. Move over BCBCS this is it.

M- Perfect, wont waste time explaining, its perfect.

O- By far one of the best stouts, BA stouts, chocolate stouts, coffee stouts, beers and beverages period. This is best fresh, trust me, no need to age hoarders.

04-10-2014 03:04:50 | More by NCalement
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

A: After letting the bottle sit out of the fridge for a half hour (agonizing), the beer was poured into a tulip glass with moderate aggression. The head built 1 finger tall the color of tan leather with dense tiny bubbles. After sitting for about a minute the foam receded into the pitch black liquid leaving behind a wave of lacing on the glass. No light shines through the beer when held to a light. Moderate alcohol legs pop out when the beer is agitated.

S: The nose is full of rich dark chocolate, sweet cocoa, hints of vanilla, mild caramel and toffee, very complex. Although I can detect the vanilla and toasted barrel character with a hint of bourbon it doesn't come off alcoholic at all. No hop aroma detected. Light coffee and roasted notes come out on further inspection.

T: Lots of complex chocolate flavors, dark chocolate, bakers chocolate, milk chocolate only a small roast and a nice coffee finish. The middle malts are caramel, toffee and candy raisins that have a nice balancing sweetness with the barrel tannins. Vanilla character coming through with the oak throughout the experience. No hop flavor, and the bitterness is just enough to keep the sweetness from being cloying.

M: There is a large body with mild carbonation that leads to a nice creamy mouthfeel. No astringency detected. Alcohol warming is surprisingly minimal. And that nice tingly sensation with a well made bourbon barrel beer.

O: KBS really shines in its chocolate and barrel flavor balancing act. Its extremely drinkable not overly sweet and has a nice body. Theres not much out there as well brewed as KBS, a shame I could only get 2 bottles this year.

04-10-2014 01:37:18 | More by guityler83
BradenMK

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

(In the interest of full-disclosure, this IS my first KBS tasting)

APPEARANCE (3.75) - Poured pitch black and let not a ray of light escape its grasp, as any self-respecting imperial stout should, unfortunately, had only a fleeting, fizzy head, and left no lacing. It was certainly above-average looking, but definitely not amazing in appearance. But hey, looks can be deceiving.

SMELL (4.5) - Vanilla. Bourbon. Maple Syrup. Dark Chocolate. Holy shit. Surprisingly, I don't pick up the coffee on the nose. I'd be interested to know at least a cursory summation of the recipe for this beer. Even though I don't care as much for bourbon barrel stouts, this smells almost perfect.

TASTE (4.75) - It's outstanding. I don't understand all the hate over this beer. Such a great depth of flavor with a balanced nuance of malt sweetness, upfront bourbon, followed by black coffee, and finally a lasting cocoa note that lingers as the heat from the alcohol warms all the way down. And yet, with all that alcohol, I wasn't hit by a harsh heat on the tongue, and the flavor wasn't influenced by alcohol burn at all. That's a good stout. The barrel-character itself may be a little drowned out by the coffee and bourbon (and any actual chocolate if there is some in the recipe), but it's perceptible in the after-taste. Oh, man, the coffee here is so much better integrated than it is in FBS, and it melds with the bourbon notes into a wholly different beast. Now I've gotta see how this compares with something like Toppling Goliath's Mornin' Delight. The chocolate definitely does come forward a bit more as the beer warms.

I've gotta say, with this beer jumping to 5th overall on the top 250 list this year, I was very skeptical that it would actually stand up to the hype. I am very much glad that it did. Maybe I've got blinders on because I'm just tasting it this year. Maybe it was better in years' past like so many people say it was. But that just goes to show how great a beer it still is.

Ha! I even got a slight cherry note on my last sip. What a nice little send-off to an already amazing beer.

MOUTHFEEL (3.75) - A little thin, which isn't truthfully unexpected from a beer with so many alterations and additions. Coffee + bourbon + lots of alcohol - it can unbalance the base recipe a little and break up some of those proteins. Not watery by any stretch of the imagination, but in terms of thickness, this guy doesn't measure up to beasts like Founders Imperial Stout or Yeti.

OVERALL (4.5) - Will I say I like this better than the more readily available Imperial Stout? That's hard to say, but after a few moments deliberation, I don't think so. But am I going to bash it for being so hard to get my hands on? Absolutely not. It is clearly a beer that is more difficult to make and more difficult to balance. If I liked bourbon in my stouts more, then this would absolutely be MUCH better than FIS. There is a LOT going on here, and I'm glad I got to try it. Am I going to go out seeking it every year from now on? Well... yeah, a little bit. It's not overpriced at all, so if I find it, and I will look for it, even if only a little, I am definitely going to buy some. Great, great beer. Founders nails it again.

Thanks again, Core42, you are a true Beer Advocate, my friend!

04-09-2014 23:36:40 | More by BradenMK
nilesschmidt

Nebraska

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

a - black, dark tan head that dissipates quickly

s - as good as it gets, coffee, chocolate and whisky all come thru well balanced

t - amazing, only reason its not a 5 is the whisky is a little hot, time will mellow and help this tremendously , i cant wait to try a 12 or 13

m - very solid, finishes light in comparison to other coffee stouts

o - one of my favorite beers all time, rich, smooth and delicious, fantastic beer, believe the hype!

04-09-2014 20:50:27 | More by nilesschmidt
vonnerbeer

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

2013 and 2014 Vertical pours at Yard House, Lynnfield, MA. 2013 has mellowed nicely with with subtle bourbon and coffee notes. Mouthfeel and body is slightly thinner than expected, but doesn't disappoint. 2014 is a little hot, but delicious none the less.

04-09-2014 13:55:17 | More by vonnerbeer
1000lbgrizzly

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Black viscous body, red tinge around the edge with the proper lighting. No head was produced on my pour, nor is carbonation visible through the opaque body. No lacing, either.

S: Strong notes of burnt malt, coffee, chocolate, smoke, and faint alcohol burn. A little harsh, but loud and clear.

T: Started off with dark chocolate (yum), turned to smoke and harsh bourbon (ok, but disruptive), palate ends with semi-sweet chocolate, smoke, coffee, maple wood, coconut and vanilla (more like a traditional beer, with more than one flavor apparent at once). Very enjoyable, especially the very well done and realistic chocolate notes, but that middle stage was harsh. Alcohol readily present on the finish throughout.

M: Medium bodied, nice and thick but too oily for my preferences, appropriate carbonation.

O: Doesn't cut any corners, for better of worse. Those chocolate notes are incredible- I think they snuck a bar of chocolate into my bottle. Those alcohol/whiskey notes are lifelike- I think they isolated pockets of straight ethanol in my bottle, too. Very well rounded stout, tons of flavors that I can honestly say I've never experienced before (coconut) or at least not with such clarity. The expectations were high, no doubt, and while it did not live up to them it still surpassed nearly every other stout (and most beers of any category). Try to avoid any hype and simply enjoy it for the fantastic beer that it is.

04-09-2014 06:55:20 | More by 1000lbgrizzly
Immortale25

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. There's a number near the base of the bottle: 14213421. No idea what it's supposed to mean.

A- Pours a fully opaque motor oil black color with a 1/4 inch light brown head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a small side patch of bubbly surface foam. Strange lacing that's split into three columns and is not-so-resilient.

S- Nice waft of oak and vanilla that's sweet and carries with it notes of chocolate and mild coffee. I really like this because of its sweetness. You can definitely smell the bourbon but the brown sugar/caramel/maple notes round it out to make it quite awesome.

T- Initial dark chocolate flavors wind their way across the vanilla, bourbon and finally coffee notes to make for a complex, nearly decadent, drink. The booze becomes apparent after a few hearty swigs but never gets in the way of enjoyment. Wonderful cherrywood finish.

M- Nearly the best part of the beer. Soft, silky smooth and semi-syrupy. Medium-low carbonation and the fullest of bodies.

O- Wow. Fuck all the haters that say "It was better last year, the year before, the year before..." This is a premium BBA stout. While the coffee isn't as prevalent as expected, I've had enough BBA stouts to know this is one of the best. Killer drinkability, incredible flavor and feel.

04-09-2014 03:51:14 | More by Immortale25
SavvyStudent

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pitch black and very thick like syrup. Little lacing
S: a predominating bitter chocolate, cherry sweetness, and molasses. Not as potent as I would have hoped with all of the hype.
T: a unique dry bourbon flavor behind a bitter chocolate. Well balanced and focused in those two notes for me.
M: heavy with little carbonation
O: an amazing well balanced beer but not up to the hours finding and extreme hype. Worth a try but have enjoyed other BB Stouts that surpass this. Hopefully it will aeg well.

04-09-2014 02:10:11 | More by SavvyStudent
Mikecap

Louisiana

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a jet black with a finger of dark brown head that fades to a lovely lace.

S: Strong black coffee dominates, touches of oak and sweet booze come through. Also touches of honey, chocolate and loads of sweet malt.

T: The first touch is nice freshly roasted coffee, chocolate, and definite strong bourbon. A nice vanilla and oaky flavor is evident as well but the coffee and alcohol dominate.

M: Full bodied with just-right carbonation and a noticeable alcohol burn. This is a pleasant sipper as the booze is there, but doesn't dominate. The flavors mesh together and it even gets better as it warms.

O: Definitely hyped, and for good reason. This is an amazing barrel-aged coffee stout that I'm glad I got to try. If you like barrel-aged beers, coffee beers, or big stouts this is a must try.

04-09-2014 01:59:31 | More by Mikecap
Reed_iTap

Missouri

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured and served into a snifter. Black pour with a dark tan creamy head with good lacing.

S: Coffee and bourbon aromas hit your nose in the best way.

T: with the first drink, heavy chocolate hints hit my tongue blended with coffee grounds and a bourbon finish.

M: This was very smooth and easy to drink; I would have forgot about the alcohol content if the bourbon didn't shine through so well.

O: The hype of the beer was lived up to. I have heard so many great things and I wS fortunate to try it for the first time this year. The bourbon could be a little more mellow, however I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

04-09-2014 01:54:37 | More by Reed_iTap
SlothB77

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at RFD DC Chinatown. 6 oz for $10. I got two back-2-back. Drank this with my good friend Dan. He wasn't as impressed as I was, going in knowing the hype. He preferred BCBCS.

I liked this more as a vanilla bomb. I don't get the coffee as much. I get the malt. I get the chocolate. The classic bourbony/ vanilla flavor i love so much. Black, smooth, creamy. No charring. No bitterness. I probably prefer the regular BCBS, but this is still phenomenal. Definitely worth a try, even if it is $10 for 6 oz.

04-08-2014 23:33:15 | More by SlothB77
tmbgnicu

Yes, I am calling this beer perfect. I cannot get over how all of the wonderful flavors blend together to create such a unique experience. My initial taste was bourbon, but as the beer warmed more and more flavors came to light, especially malt and chocolate. I found one bottle, but I need to find at least one more before this goes away for the year, I'd like to age it some and taste the results. Smooth, clean, fresh. As the description says, this is not simply barrel aged breakfast stout, this is an entirely different beer. An amazing experience.

Bottle poured into a snifter

04-08-2014 22:32:57 | More by tmbgnicu
ali1987

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- jet black body with minimal mocha colored head

S- chocolate, malt, bourbon, vanilla... Very little coffee.

T- very similar to the nose. Chocolate, followed by bourbon, & finishing with vanilla. Coffee is barely there.

M- thick, smooth body. Moderate carbonation.

O- Great beer with complex flavors. I'd like to taste more coffee though. For such a high ABV, it's very easy to drink.

04-08-2014 22:18:01 | More by ali1987
JamieDuncan

Maryland

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Good friend had snagged one of these and held onto it to split with me and my beer guru. What can be said, awesome beer, smell could be rated above 5 and with the ABV so high it gets an overall as almost perfect. I would love to track down some more of these.

04-08-2014 21:59:48 | More by JamieDuncan
ricknelson

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Went to a Founder's Tasting at Woodstock Hops & Barley in Woodstock Vermont and had samples of Founders Centennial, Reds Rye, All Day IPA and KBS. Decided to buy a growler of the KBS to take home to share with my brother and friends. KBS lives up to all the hype.

Serving type: growler

04-08-2014 14:12:35 | More by ricknelson
dank203

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

here goes, one of the top rated beers in the world.

kbs 2014: most drinkable beer for the size. goes down like nothing with the alcohol so well masked. the bourbon is more in the finish. fair amount of hops come through with it. aromas of rich caramel, butterscotch, dark chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. flavor complex, a little bitter, big explosion of chocolate and coffee. very thick and actually chewy.

kbs 2013: reminds me more of a dark chocolate cake. boozey aromas. some dark fruits, cherry, bourbon comes through pretty mellow. really not getting much coffee. even the fresh, raw chocolate note has died down a lot. the only positive difference here is the mellow smoothness of it that seems to have evolved. not as much an explosion of flavor like it is when fresh.

prefer the fresh bottle. if you can get more than one bottle, its worth aging one just to realize your preference. my preference is to have this within a month of attaining it. In fact, I think everyone should have it fresh at least once. it shows you the full flavor profile. THEN age one, and decide. Just my suggestion!

04-08-2014 13:57:28 | More by dank203
xungmound98

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter. Pitch black color with about 1/4” of mocha-colored head. Swishing the beer around leaves an oily residue and spotty lacing on the sides. Smell is an intense mix of chocolate, coffee, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. Taste is equally complex, and includes all the aforementioned; heavy on roasted malts. A mild wave of bourbon heat shows up in the throat after every sip. After the first taste it's hard to restrain myself from downing this in a minute. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and palette-coating. An exceptional beer.

04-08-2014 00:06:50 | More by xungmound98
drdiesel9483

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look - dark as night.
Smell - malty, sweet smell. Almost like maple syrup smell.
Taste - taste like strong coffee with bourbon added. Maybe too much alcohol taste. You can taste the bourbon for sure! Get's better when it's a little warmer.
Feel - highly carbonated thick pallet. I'd say this is just slightly over carbonated but not by much.
Overall - great beer! If you like coffee and bourbon you'd love this beer!

04-07-2014 21:13:39 | More by drdiesel9483
JasonHaviland

New Hampshire

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Utterly fantastic. Worth the chase. Great notes of chocolate, oatmeal and brown sugar. Bourbon barrel aging adds great complexity. Strong through the mid-palate and smooth on the finish. Tasted at a tap takeover in Boston in a tulip glass. If you are able to find it on-tap, you won't be disappointed.

04-07-2014 01:39:47 | More by JasonHaviland
richj1970

Alabama

4.41/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2014 vintage poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours midnight black with an almost crude oil appearance. A very small mocha colored head that dissipated quickly with just some slight lacing.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and roasted espresso beans. A truly wonderful smelling beer. Perhaps not as pronounced as BCBS or the variants, but still very enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose closely. Fairly strong bourbon up front combined with roasty coffee and bitter chocolate. Some vanilla in the back.

M: Full bodied with a creamy texture. Fairly well carbonated for a brew with this ABV. Everything I want in a big stout.

O: I had a small sampling of the 2013 vintage this year at EBF and was a little underwhelmed, but this bottle was truly great beer. Now I need to find a few more...

04-06-2014 23:21:54 | More by richj1970
oldmankoch

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow...Amazing. To me this beer definitely is worth all the hype.

Pours a pitch black motor oil with minimal to no head and lacing.

Smell is inviting. Coffee, malt, vanilla, chocolate brownie, with hints of bourbon, char, molasses, and dark fruit.

Taste follows the nose perfectly with epic balance. Not one flavor is overly dominate. Plus the booze is nicely masked. You can tell its there but it doesn't permeate the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is meaty, slick, with low carbonation, it's just enough to support the numerous flavors as they register on the tongue.

This makes for one amazing Spring afternoon back porch sipper. Most compare this to BCBS Coffee and I can see why. I feel that this trumps that particular version of the BCBS series simply because of the balanced profile. Just my opinion though.

04-06-2014 22:17:23 | More by oldmankoch
bnewall3

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- Very little head at all, good amount of lacing. Midnight black just as expected.

S- Perfect to me. Exactly what a stout SHOULD smell like, especially one aged in bourbon barrels. Molasses followed with tannin vanilla and some oak.

T- IDC about all the hype surrounding this beer but for me it lives up to it. Now is it something to sell your first born for, or drive 13 hours to wait another 14 in line for? No, most aren't. But as far as a great top of the line stout KBS meets all standards. The carb levels are on point, its not a sludge bomb, and the flavors are all there. Booze is present from beginning of your sip until the end, but it isn't overpowering or game changing. Its actually awesome if you ask me. Warms ya right up.

M- look up^^

O- Great brew by a great brewery. Funny how i sought founders non stop then a little after they came to CT I sort of took them for granted and walked right past them in a store. Sometimes it takes something like KBS to realize ya do still have great beers right there in the cooler down the street. Don't need to spend 30$ in shipping to drink a DIPA on a thursday work night.
Sorry I rambled, but this beer made me realize some things.

04-06-2014 22:11:50 | More by bnewall3