1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Ratings: 7,036 | Reviews: 2,409 | Show All Ratings:
ricknelson

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Went to a Founder's Tasting at Woodstock Hops & Barley in Woodstock Vermont and had samples of Founders Centennial, Reds Rye, All Day IPA and KBS. Decided to buy a growler of the KBS to take home to share with my brother and friends. KBS lives up to all the hype.

04-08-2014 14:12:35 | More by ricknelson
devinoconnor

4.63/5  rDev 0%

A classic... Surprised I had never reviewed the KBS after having it several times. If ya haven't tried, ya gotta.

Pours a dark brown/black color with a foamy brownish head. Lots of slow legs on the glass. Smell consists of an abundance of coffee, with a boozy undertone.

Taste is incredibly smooth, a perfect blend of coffee and bourbon-like tastes. Plenty of hops in this imperial as well, yet flawless in its smoothness.

06-15-2012 19:11:18 | More by devinoconnor
levon15

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a growler I scored, 2012 vintage, thanks Cicero's; shared it with a large tasting group.

It's black, it leaves a slight dark coating on the glass as you swirl it, the head was minimal and it disapated quickly to a light ring in the glass, legs abound as you swirl or tip the glass.

The smell is of boozy bourbon, light notes of chocolate and vanilla hit me while the oaky bourbon stays in the spotlight.

The taste is what you want in a breakfast stout, I get coffee, chocolates, and the bourbon. This growler is more boozy than past KBS I have had.

In my mouth it's silky and filling. It covers my mouth with warmth the way I could see it coat the glass. The carbonation is right and the finish is perfect for this style.

Nothing I can say can give this beer the respect it deserves. You know you should have some in your cellar. Once you've had it youknow what to expect from an aged breakfast stout, KBS sets the bar.

04-22-2012 02:36:57 | More by levon15
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Bendurgin for procuring this nice growler tick. Poured into a tulip from a 32 oz screw-top growler. The color is black. There is a small layer of tan bubbles that isn't quite a full head.

The aroma is full of chocolate and coffee. I wouldn't know this was a beer from the aroma. I would think it's mocha ice cream or something.

The taste emphasizes the chocolate in the front. There is a nice coffee finish. There is a hint of oak that is more noticeable after a few sips.

This is medium bodied but the carbonation is filling.

This is really great. The coffee comes through nicely when fresh.

03-30-2012 04:02:12 | More by andrewinski1
Bendurgin

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks a lot for this one Jason. You're the king. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a dark sludgy black with a small layer of dark tan foam that forms and fades away.

Milk chocolate in the aroma with a rich chocolate aroma and some nice bourbon in the background. Really hits all the marks here and this is very chocolaty. The pallet gives off a lot of the same. Rich milk chocolate flavors with some nice roasted coffee flavors and a nice bourbon kick on the end.

The body is full and robust. Very silky and smooth with soft carbonation. Overall this really is to tier. Really tough to be this stuff.

03-30-2012 03:55:37 | More by Bendurgin
myatomicpolygon

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance- poured from a growler into my snifter black as night, thick, and oily with nice finger of mocha head that dissipates into a nice ring around the glass and leaves great lacing.

Smell- roasted coffee dominates with chocolate, booze, bourbon and oak undertones. wow! there is a lot going on here. when it warms the bourbon and vanilla flavors slowly become more pronounced.

Taste- bourbon comes through in the taste but is well balanced with the coffee and a sweet chocolate finish- lots of well balanced flavors...vanilla...bourbon is complimentary and lingers throughout.

Mouthfeel- thick creamy delicious perfect carbonation warming finish

Drinkability- off the charts for something this high in ABV. Very well balanced and easy to put down for a barrel aged stout.

12-30-2010 16:16:26 | More by myatomicpolygon
jjshowal

Indiana

Poured from a growler into a Balloon Goblet.

This is simply one of the most enjoyable and best beer experiences I have ever had. I was with my older brother on a cool spring night in March on the outskirts of Cincinnati.

I won't even go into the specifics of each aspect of the beer, but I will say this is the only imperial stout that I have experienced three wonderfully distinct and vivid flavors in a row.

As soon as the extremely thick, black, syrupy consistency beer pours into the glass you are hit with an unforgettable aroma that is complemented by the perfect amount of carbonation for an imperial stout. The thick, amber-colored foamy head remains through the drink followed by a beautiful lacing.

When it hits your tongue, the drinker experiences a creamy chocolate taste that is infused with hints of vanilla. While in the mouth, a deep and rich coffee flavor erupts that is very powerful, yet very drinkable. The finish is a distinct flavor of aged oak and bourbon that is bitter and strong without being overwhelming. An incredibly soothing and warming experience. After being refrigerated overnight, we let the growler sit out for about a half hour or so drinking it at about 50 degrees.

Founders is known for making extreme beers and stouts and the Kentucky breakfast is no exception. Simply put, this beer will kick your ASS! I do not recommend this as a session beer. One is all you need to enjoy. After finishing the beer, I lit up a Makers Mark soaked Cigar that was an excellent cap to probably the best beer I have ever had.

03-20-2010 22:54:00 | More by jjshowal
kels

4.33/5  rDev -6.5%

So I was slightly disappointed in the bottled 09 KBS and heard that the on-tap version was immensely better. When I heard Party Town in Florence, KY was getting a keg and selling growlers, I had to give it a try. Review is from a pour into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours super dark brown with slightly oily-looking residue sitting atop the completely headless liquid. Little specks of cream-colored lacing attempt to cling to the glass, and slide away quickly.

Smell: Delicious aromas of bittersweet chocolate and dark coffee combine with slightest hints of vanilla, chewy malts, sweet oak and very subtle bourbon.

Taste/Mouthfeel: So much milder than the bottle pour! The feel is smooth as silk, with a slight sticky wetness that's heavy enough to hold the flavors on the tongue awhile. The taste is full of delicious bourbon that doesn't overpower the accompanying flavors of dry, charred oak, barely sweet bitter chocolate, dry roasted coffee and subtle bitter hops. Really nice balance that isn't overpowering in any way. Even the alcohol, while present, isn't overwhelming.

Drinkability: Moderate for the style. The warming sensation is really nice and the mouthfeel is very satisfying. I certainly wouldn't drink too many at once, but only because I know better.

I have to say that I'm so much more impressed by the draught version of this beer. The flavors were much more well-blended and balanced and the alcohol was better contained. In the bottle version I really felt like the bourbon came across in the nose and taste waaay too hot and seemed more like rubbing alcohol. I'm hoping the rest of the 4 pack I have aging comes out like this growler did.

05-02-2009 20:37:51 | More by kels
brianmandell

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Originally rated 4.25 on draft from brickyard in Jan 2014 (2013 KBS)

The bottled version of the 2014 is a very dark brown/black pour with short tan head and lacing. Big aromas of chocolate syrup, coffee liqueur and vanilla.

The coffee and chocolate are forward with a mild sweetness followed by vanilla and marshmallow flavors. There is some oak on the end finishing in a boozy astringent dryness reminding me of lower quality bourbon.

The mouthfeel is silky and delightful but thinner than I'd like. The thin mouthfeel makes this beer easier drinking than other barrel aged stouts.

Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite beers and I love how KBS shares some similarities and adds some of the benefits of barrel aging. The end result is very good but it falls short of my high expectations. The flavors are big but aren't well integrated. The thin body combined with the astringent boozy finish kill it for me until I take another sip of the chocolately goodness.

04-17-2014 01:06:34 | More by brianmandell
bigjerk89

3.08/5  rDev -33.5%

This has to be the most overrated beer I've ever had. I've been waiting a long time to try try this beer. I was very disappointed. I asked the bartender to check the keg to make sure it was KBS. He knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed with me. Zero bourbon flavor. If this beer was aged in bourbon barrels, then it wasn't for long or the barrel had been used several times. This beer tasted like an iced coffee. The mouth feel was thin. If you think this is a great beer, I suggest you try a goose island bourbon county stout. Everyone around me said the same thing. I enjoyed the beer, just did not live up to the hype.

04-16-2014 00:23:38 | More by bigjerk89
hudsonskunk

Indiana

I do not fan boy a lot of beer, but for me, this is as good as it gets.

This beer pours darker than most any beer I have seen. The color resides somewhere between french press coffee, and oil. If poured in a tulip glass the edges reflect a beautiful tinge of mahogany.

The smell is unreal. This beer is 11.2abv, and you can smell a little bit of alcohol. Most of the aroma from beer rests around roasted flavors, peaking around bitternotes with flavors of coffee and oak, and sweet notes with touches of cream and molasses.

Taste is out of this world. When served chilled your roasted barleys and chocolates pop along with bitter notes of american hops. The aromas of hop flavors are suppressed between coffee and cocoa notes, but the bitterness is still there bringing out some of the sweeter tastes of malted milk, and cream. At a more cellar temp. this beer will bust out fruity elements hinting at notes of wild blackberry. Like I said before, the alcohol still supplies a noticeable bite on the back end.

Mouthfeel is perfectly weighted drifting slowly over all plains of the tongue dancing ever so slightly between savory and sweet tastes. Viscosity looks a lot heavier than it actually is, but this comes as a relief in the end as the flavors are so complex a quick finish is most likely favored to ensure all elements of the beer can be enjoyed. (just my opinion, may be total bullshit.)

Overall, this beer is the only beer I would go broke for. It only comes once a year, and it is by far the most consistent and satisfying beer that founders currently produces. If you get a chance, enjoy this beer with a friend, but beware, you may never experience something this good again.

04-15-2014 17:26:10 | More by hudsonskunk
ChrisChagnon

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black like motor oil, with a tiny off-white head

The smell was just a huge chocolate and coffee on the nose. A little hint of alcohol but not much to mask the nose.

Taste was just awesome, everything was blended together perfectly (bourbon, chocolate and even more coffee once it sat for a bit) Slight bourbon bite, but not bad at all.

Thick filling mouth-feel to this one, chewy and just coats the inside of your mouth completely. In a good way.

This beer is good, but after having BCBCS this year, I wasnt as impressed as I was in my original review, so I redid the review.

04-15-2014 14:39:04 | More by ChrisChagnon
TravlynMan

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hello!! My first review, fitting it should be with such a demigod know as the KBS...

So I tried three bottles at three different temps over three days to get all the possible flavors I could out of the beer. First off this beer does a great job masking the alcohol at 11.2 %. Started with refrigerated bottle into snifter which gave off vague bourbon tones (good thing) but had to wait tor the dark chocolate and coffee tones to become more present as beer warmed. Second day poured room temp into pint glass. Chocolate and coffee tones more present in smell which becomes sort of an oatmeal cookie (again good thing). Third was cellari-sh temp and followed more like the second tasting. Overall very smooth and rich, the best BALANCED bourbon barrel aged stout I've had but I've Only just begun...

04-14-2014 22:10:52 | More by TravlynMan
Murph-Dawg

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lynnfield Yardhouse had a small release on tap of both 2013 and 2014, I preferred the 2013 but both had Excellent flavor, well worth the lunchtime trip!

2013 was a bit stronger of a bourbon but was soo good!!!

2014 seemed slightly less bold in terms of the bourbon flavor but again absolutely lived up to the reputation!

This beer is the real deal, completely deserving of all the hype!!

04-12-2014 22:46:23 | More by Murph-Dawg
GregA135

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed this one at House of 1000 Beers. Had it on tap along with other Founder's Brewing Company Beers! This was a delicious stout! Poured a dark brown with a tan head. Smelled of coffee beans, a hint of chocolate, and bourbon. Once it hit my palate it was a nice and smooth body and tasted great! Tasted of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and a bit of vanilla! Founders Brewing Company you guys did good! Two Thumbs Up!!!!

04-12-2014 18:39:27 | More by GregA135
hail_seitan

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

8 oz poured from tap in what appeared to be a juice glass

A - Rich black color with a minimal caramel head.

S - Toffee, dark chocolate, tobacco, espresso, and, of course, bourbon. However, none of these scents were overpowering and instead just invite you in for a taste.

T - At first, very similar to the smell. Upfront, I pick up the espresso and dark chocolate notes. However, neither is too strong. Next comes a touch of the bourbon, along with oaky vanilla, figs, and caramel. The finish again brings out bourbon flavors with a hint of warm grain alcohol as it goes down.

M - This was perhaps my favorite part of the beer. The oatmeal imparts a glutinous and almost chewy mouthfeel to the beer. The body is full, but not overtly syrupy. Fantastic.

O - I was astonished by the complexity and balance of this brew. None if the flavors dominated and instead they worked together in harmony to create a splendid beer. Even my fiancée, who usually does not like barrel-aged beers, thought it was great.

04-12-2014 13:13:48 | More by hail_seitan
Kevin-Wieken

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
Founders Brewing Company, Michigan
---from bottle to tulip---

Appearance
Almost entirely black, deep brown around edges when held to light. Little khaki head.

Smell
Mocha and bourbon, very subtle, hint of vanilla

Taste
Dark chocolate, bold coffee, slightly burnt malt, heavy bourbon – very awesome

Mouth-feel
Medium bodied, good bitter to sweet, starts and finishes with bourbon, 11ABV gives it a warming feel and makes this beer last a good while

Overall
Definitely worth the hype. I was able to secure three bottles (2014) and paid dearly for them. I would do it again. Very complex and inviting stout. Almost perfect!

04-12-2014 02:59:51 | More by Kevin-Wieken
Abe_Froman

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Poured nice and dark with a slight amber edge and a milk chocolate head.

Smelled of chocolate and coffee with some malt. I found the smell a bit more subtle than other reviewers.

Flavor was a bit lighter than I was expecting given the pour. Taste sweet on the tongue with hints of coffee/bitter and warm almost bright bourbon flavors without the whisky bite.

Feels light on the tongue and flows freely through the mouth. leaves a nice warm feeling on the back and sides of the palette.

Over all an enjoyable experience. Though given the hype I have been hearing over the last few years I was expecting a bit more.

04-11-2014 05:55:01 | More by Abe_Froman
Zekenyce

Perfection!!!! And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like dark heavy beers.
My buddy at the liquor store was able to hold one bottle for me. It took more than a year to finally get my hands on it and it sure did not disappoint. It was definitely worth the $20 I paid for it. And that was a bargain considering it sells for $30 and it takes years to even get.

04-11-2014 03:44:59 | More by Zekenyce
epickup

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on this after two years of trying and I was not disappointed.

I'm not an IPA pimp by any stretch & I don't like most rice adjunct crap from the mega breweries.

This case cost me right around $122.00 give or take some change but was split between several friends buying in. averaged out around $5 / bottle.

smell: Good lord in heaven can this be an aftershave?

taste: dark chocolate, coffee, something sweet I couldn't place, honey maybe, milk chocolate? Great notes from the bourbon cask.

first drink: not sure - my eyes rolled back in my head. The flavor was amazing, I wonder how this beer would do under Nitrogen, instead of CO2

second drink: able to taste the above flavors, a bit of euphoria, and I could feel the alcohol evaporating in my mouth. No lingering, nasty aftertaste.

end of bottle: small buzz, definitely slightly impaired.

halfway through second bottle: I feel like I've had about 9 Yeunglings in an hour, on my own buzz-rating.

I'd love to taste the difference from bottle to tap, but I get the feeling there really wouldn't be much of one.

damn glad I bought it, damn glad I drank it.

04-10-2014 23:27:43 | More by epickup
GinjaSlice

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: real dark black, my pour had no head, but there was good lacing with a nice milk chocolate color.
S: hot damn does this beer smell amazing. There's so much going on, at first I get a sweet malty and chocolate smell, accompanied by some coffee and followed by a burnt chocolate smell finishing with bourbon.
T: Taste is similar to the smell. Unfortunately not as perfect. At first lots of great sweet chocolate flavors balanced out by some bitter coffee. The mid taste is where it loses me as you get the kick and burn of the bourbon but then its followed by some delicious chocolate after taste.
M: really great for such a flavorful beer very light and easy to drink.

04-10-2014 05:57:47 | More by GinjaSlice
TheFizzinator

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Dark liquid poured, delicious looking milk chocolate head. The smell, the bouquet brings it all together chocolates, light coffee, delightful spicy bourbon, espresso, and vanilla. Taste is even better than the nose if that's possible. There's not much alcohol burn or presence of alcohol except for the delicious bourbon flavors. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and thi beer is as easily drinkable as something with much lower ABV. One of the smoothest stouts I've ever tasted.

The hype machine on KBS runs on overdrive but its a worthy beer to be sure. Maybe not "quite" as marvelous as the beer geeks would have you believe but for the money I can't name a better stout.

04-10-2014 03:48:56 | More by TheFizzinator
NCalement

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle poured into a Sexual Chocolate TEKU.

A- Pour is pitch black with a fast milk chocolate head. You con't see through this one at all. Nice lacing, looks very good for the style.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. Roasted malt, french toast, vanilla, burn form the booze, and sweet malt. Smell is perfect. Everything you want and more.

T- Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, slight bitter roast, fudge, bourbon, and Nesquik. What a great complex stout. Move over BCBCS this is it.

M- Perfect, wont waste time explaining, its perfect.

O- By far one of the best stouts, BA stouts, chocolate stouts, coffee stouts, beers and beverages period. This is best fresh, trust me, no need to age hoarders.

04-10-2014 03:04:50 | More by NCalement
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

A: After letting the bottle sit out of the fridge for a half hour (agonizing), the beer was poured into a tulip glass with moderate aggression. The head built 1 finger tall the color of tan leather with dense tiny bubbles. After sitting for about a minute the foam receded into the pitch black liquid leaving behind a wave of lacing on the glass. No light shines through the beer when held to a light. Moderate alcohol legs pop out when the beer is agitated.

S: The nose is full of rich dark chocolate, sweet cocoa, hints of vanilla, mild caramel and toffee, very complex. Although I can detect the vanilla and toasted barrel character with a hint of bourbon it doesn't come off alcoholic at all. No hop aroma detected. Light coffee and roasted notes come out on further inspection.

T: Lots of complex chocolate flavors, dark chocolate, bakers chocolate, milk chocolate only a small roast and a nice coffee finish. The middle malts are caramel, toffee and candy raisins that have a nice balancing sweetness with the barrel tannins. Vanilla character coming through with the oak throughout the experience. No hop flavor, and the bitterness is just enough to keep the sweetness from being cloying.

M: There is a large body with mild carbonation that leads to a nice creamy mouthfeel. No astringency detected. Alcohol warming is surprisingly minimal. And that nice tingly sensation with a well made bourbon barrel beer.

O: KBS really shines in its chocolate and barrel flavor balancing act. Its extremely drinkable not overly sweet and has a nice body. Theres not much out there as well brewed as KBS, a shame I could only get 2 bottles this year.

04-10-2014 01:37:18 | More by guityler83
BradenMK

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

(In the interest of full-disclosure, this IS my first KBS tasting)

APPEARANCE (3.75) - Poured pitch black and let not a ray of light escape its grasp, as any self-respecting imperial stout should, unfortunately, had only a fleeting, fizzy head, and left no lacing. It was certainly above-average looking, but definitely not amazing in appearance. But hey, looks can be deceiving.

SMELL (4.5) - Vanilla. Bourbon. Maple Syrup. Dark Chocolate. Holy shit. Surprisingly, I don't pick up the coffee on the nose. I'd be interested to know at least a cursory summation of the recipe for this beer. Even though I don't care as much for bourbon barrel stouts, this smells almost perfect.

TASTE (4.75) - It's outstanding. I don't understand all the hate over this beer. Such a great depth of flavor with a balanced nuance of malt sweetness, upfront bourbon, followed by black coffee, and finally a lasting cocoa note that lingers as the heat from the alcohol warms all the way down. And yet, with all that alcohol, I wasn't hit by a harsh heat on the tongue, and the flavor wasn't influenced by alcohol burn at all. That's a good stout. The barrel-character itself may be a little drowned out by the coffee and bourbon (and any actual chocolate if there is some in the recipe), but it's perceptible in the after-taste. Oh, man, the coffee here is so much better integrated than it is in FBS, and it melds with the bourbon notes into a wholly different beast. Now I've gotta see how this compares with something like Toppling Goliath's Mornin' Delight. The chocolate definitely does come forward a bit more as the beer warms.

I've gotta say, with this beer jumping to 5th overall on the top 250 list this year, I was very skeptical that it would actually stand up to the hype. I am very much glad that it did. Maybe I've got blinders on because I'm just tasting it this year. Maybe it was better in years' past like so many people say it was. But that just goes to show how great a beer it still is.

Ha! I even got a slight cherry note on my last sip. What a nice little send-off to an already amazing beer.

MOUTHFEEL (3.75) - A little thin, which isn't truthfully unexpected from a beer with so many alterations and additions. Coffee + bourbon + lots of alcohol - it can unbalance the base recipe a little and break up some of those proteins. Not watery by any stretch of the imagination, but in terms of thickness, this guy doesn't measure up to beasts like Founders Imperial Stout or Yeti.

OVERALL (4.5) - Will I say I like this better than the more readily available Imperial Stout? That's hard to say, but after a few moments deliberation, I don't think so. But am I going to bash it for being so hard to get my hands on? Absolutely not. It is clearly a beer that is more difficult to make and more difficult to balance. If I liked bourbon in my stouts more, then this would absolutely be MUCH better than FIS. There is a LOT going on here, and I'm glad I got to try it. Am I going to go out seeking it every year from now on? Well... yeah, a little bit. It's not overpriced at all, so if I find it, and I will look for it, even if only a little, I am definitely going to buy some. Great, great beer. Founders nails it again.

Thanks again, Core42, you are a true Beer Advocate, my friend!

04-09-2014 23:36:40 | More by BradenMK