Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,016
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,472 | Reviews: 2,615
4.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Warm, tawny, port brown. No head. Looks like liquor.

S: Bittersweet chocolate, rustic blackstrap molasses. Premium coffee, oak grain, angels envy. A vanilla bean or two.

M: Full body and soft carb leads to a creamy feel that takes the edge off the alcohol warmth which is present along with roast astringency.

T: Dark chocolate coated orange dusted with espresso. Sweet bourbon mash. The age of the btl has broken down the darker fruits into the ubiquitous port and tannins; the acidity counters the sweetness. Light oak and smoke, cherry cordial. Hints of clove and nutmeg spice.

Great beer, changes character as it gets warmer. Get some.

4.52/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got this today after getting the "golden ticket" in February. Drove from NE Detroit to GR to buy it. Waited for a while in line for a fresh pour out of the tap but left as it was hours before I was getting in.

Went back to the hotel and cracked open a bottle and poured into a tulip @ slightly below room temp. It was everything I hoped for. All the reviews say more than I could but suffice to say I have the coveted KBS and will be going into storage for those special occasions.

4.33/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Being from Michigan I gave the luxury of getting about 2 bottles each year if I'm lucky. This is last year's release with a year of age. Awesome and worth the effort of hunting this down. Drink slowly and let warm to room temperature to fully appreciate. Molasses chocolate and vanilla flavor. As good as it gets. Can't wait to get a few bottles next week to replenish for the cellar.

Let me just say that I hate the after taste of bourbon. This beer starts to give you that aftertaste and then pours on chocolate to mask the bourbon and make it delicious. I'm nervous to say this but KBS is probably the best beer I've ever had.

4.31/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.98/5  rDev +7.8%

4.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%

Awesome. I think this is one of the most balanced barrel aged coffee stout I have had to date. Where some have been to strong in bourbon, coffee, etc, I thought this was the most balanced tasting beer I've had, I hope they eventually increase production. Only critique would be I don't feel it has full of a mouth feel as the breakfast stout, different beer though.

4.91/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received 5 ounce pour at Saratoga City Tavern

A- very nice, dark, thick, decent cocoa head that was thicker and stuck around longer than I thought

S- I held on to this for awhile until I finished my other beer. I wanted it to warm up. The smell was fantastic; warm bourbon was there with some cocoa and vanilla

T- I hate coffee beers! But it was at the bar so I had to try it. I wasn't dissapointed! The coffee was very there but very subdued. It blended nicely with the other flavors. The same with the bourbon, often these fresh bourbon BA ales come off hot and boozy, bourbon forward but this was not the bourbon was sweet and complimented the brew nicely. Cocoa, mocha, vanilla, hint of coconut, dark roasted malts, very good

M- the mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I had imagined but it seemed to work with this beer. I think if it was thicker it would be too syrupy.

O- overall, i always did want to try this but never wanted to spend the time, energy and money to hunt it down in stores... Plus, as I mentioned I'm not a fan of coffee flavor d beers. This being offered at the bar was a perfect scenario for me. The beer was blended extremely well, yet it was so complex. There were so many flavors mixed in and none really stuck out or outshined the other. A very solid BA offering that is ready to drink. I wouldn't age this one. I think it would risk losing some of those great subtleties and undertones. Plus, I think with time some of the other flavors may fade bringing the bolder flavors forward, thus destroying that perfectly balanced liquid harmony that currently exists!!!

4.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company