Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,162
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,753 | Hads: 10,501
4.77/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Hunahpu's glass.

Appearance: Pours a thick black color with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Roast and bourbon, this smells so smooth. Dark chocolate sweetness with some warmth from the alcohol.

Taste: Sweet, smooth bourbon and roast. Dark chocolate with a hint of dark fruit. The roasty coffee bitterness stays on the tongue through the end of each sip. So smooth and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with very smooth carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: One of my favorites. I'm glad I finally got around to rating this. I'll have it again every time I get the chance. (662 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -12.7%

Put on the spot to order a beer quickly, a quick gander at the cooler revealed a beer I'd never had before with a label that read KBS. OK, I'll have that. DOH!!! Once delivered to me I realized that it was Kentucky Breakfast Stout from Founder's. I'd had it before, but the label was different. So, OK, I was having brunch and coffee and bourbon and stout seemed appropriate, and this is a beer that can stand up to (actually dominate over) a spicy mushroom enchilada. What I was not prepared for was the price... $12!!! Damn, if only I'd known.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a million reviews for this out there, so I'll keep it simple. I prefer the Breakfast Stout. I think that the Bourbon just adds a bit too much to the mix, and it clearly increases the perception of alcohol, whether there's more there or not. It also cuts down on the really nice coffee flavor that the standard Breakfast Stout has, and I think, the malt flavors as well.

What's nice about the Breakfast Stout is that it's really complex, but that's kind of lost in the KBS because the Bourbon characteristic cuts through a lot of it (at least at the end of the glass).

So although this is not a beer I'd throw out of bed (you know what I mean), it's just not quite as good as the beer that spawned it.

Oh, and I kind of have to ding it for points on the appearance as the head drops immediately, and it leaves little lacing.

Cheers! (1,409 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap @ Founders (Grand Rapids, MI) on 4/22/10. 8 oz of the 2010 edition served in a snifter.

Pours black as midnight in the glass, with a thin covering of reddish & burnt looking mocha colored head. Swirling elicits a huge creamy flare-up that drenches the sides with thick swathes of lace and dark goo. I'm surprised by just how much of the Breakfast Stout is coming through upon first whiff. Roasted coffee and chocolate form a decadent smelling pillar in the nose, which the bourbon and vanilla notes rises up and wrap themselves around. Woody tannins and a touch of floral character lend this a certain degree of gentleness in the nose despite this being such a powerful bouquet.

The taste is very rich up front with crunchy coffee chocolate roast before bourbon and vanilla character just absolutely DRENCHES the back of the throat with warm sweetness. The bourbon does have some sharpness to it but never does quite get stinging (although it is close). It definitely does spread a boozy feel across the palate and in the chest. The tannic notes from the oak has a touch of raw and green feel to it, with the bourbon and wood leaving a lot of deep dryness in it's wake. The mouthfeel is full bodied and rich, with a big creamy feel that fills the mouth up with flavor. I'm getting some of that 11% ABV but most of the alcohol appears to come from the bourbon and stays out of the body for the most part, helping keep this a very steady sipper.

It's hard for me to say if I like this beer fresher, with the coffee and vanilla popping, or if I like it more with some age and all of that bourbon and wood showing itself a little stronger. Makes me wish that I had tried a glass of the 2009 next to it. Always the tough decisions to make on these ridiculous pre-DLD trips to Founders in the wake of the Black Party the weekend before... (1,843 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

Acquired from both plaztikjezuz and jpm30 in concurrent trades, so a big Thank You goes out to them. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a very thin brown head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of roasted coffee, vanilla, creamy chocolate, oats and dark malts.

T: The taste is very malty with strong roasted flavors of coffee, vanilla and chocolate as you would expect. There's a significant alcohol sting and a mild hops presence, but there's also a nice balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily for a beer with 10.00% ABV, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is one of those good big stouts that is worth drinking for a while until the ABV catches up to you. (931 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Acquired this beauty thanks to BEERchitect. I've been dreaming of cracking this open for weeks. I've woken up in a cold sweat a few times dreaming of dancing Founders bottles with KBS letters flying out at me and into my mouth, and rivers of dark tasty liquid showering me in droves of awesomeness. And now its finally time to sample this thing. I feel like that virgin 17year old at prom that finally steps into the hotel room with his date, made of beer.

A: AS it pours it leaves a dark stain on the air. As it rims around the glass it also leaves a dark brown syrup on the sides, it so thick I can't even call it a stain. I can only match the thickness of this to 40W oil after it came out of a 200k mile car and was there almost all 200k miles. I can almost see chunks of grains floating out with it, but I think that's my brain on KBS. A very faint almost detectable head starts to appear, but it's just a tease as it fades from memory and leaves a few small cliques of bubbles

N: Despite being able to smell the roasted malts and chocolate from the stains on the air, I decided to go in deeper. I think I need someone to cover me. The nose is so overwhelming I think my insides just stained a dark coffee brown color. Tons of coffee and roasted malts just come billowing out of the glass on a horse of dark bakers chocolate. It does remind me a lot of regular breakfast stout at this point, but then comes the awesomeness of the bourbon and oak. The remnants of the bourbon and alcohol dance their way into my nostrils burning the edges slightly as my nose both cringes and begs for more like a sadomasochistic kid getting his first taste of the whip. Did I mention there was some coffee and chocolate there?

T: Oooohhhh snap! Here comes the train. The molasses thick oil like liquid slowly spreads out over my tongue. Lots of sweetness and chocolate come spreading out. The coffee instantly wakes my ass up, hence breakfast. The alcohol taste and burn really just lashes out at my mouth with hot pokers almost as if my mouth has just died and gone to hell. The bourbon taste starts to come through once the heavy set chocolate and coffee attempt to die out. And by attempt to die out I mean when your mouth starts to become used to it because this stuff never goes away. More dark sweetness that could only have come from the depths of Candyland hell start to berate my taste buds for attempting a second sip. It leaves a thick coating all around the mouth as if it was secretly made of wax that sticks when warm. It also seems to leave a slightly milky residue bringing me back to 5th grade and dousing my milk with so much chocolate I used to just take the Hersheys plastic container and fill IT with milk rather than the other way around. Some quick oats dash their way into the taste enough to make a horse blush. A touch of oak and vanilla round it off, if you can say that.

M: Really? Have you not figured out by now? Super thick and sticky, a viscosity of some huge number. The alcohol burns the edges of the mouth and any flesh that dares stand in it's way. Could use a slight bit of more carbonation, but that is most likely a product of the aging.

F: Finishes semi sweet, like just chewing on a piece of rubber coffee cake and then biting on some baker's chocolate. The thickness fills all the pours and taste buds so much so that I don't think I'll be able to taste my dinner tomorrow. The coffee's caffeine can't be absorbed anymore as everything is coated with that huge thick substance, more solid than liquid. The slight oak and vanilla, followed by bourbon and more alcohol seem to fade last on the tongue, except the chocolate and coffee which never disappear. With it being so ridiculously thick and strong tasting I can barely continue to sip it.

Final thoughts: While I'm sitting here enjoying this amazing beverage that I have been having wet dream about, I think my house is on fire, my son is probably in the corner chewing on wires or something, and the Patriots are somehow getting their butts kicked by Buffalo, but none of that matters as my world fades into a vertigo feeling as I blissfully attempt to consume and digest this crazy stuff. It's almost as if I'm living vicariously through myself trying to enjoy this, or am I still dreaming. Perhaps its a coma I slipped into when I took my first sip of it. I don't even think there is a word in the English language to describe it, so I'll make one up. This beer, is it still really a beer at this point, anyways this beer is transcendingerompteous. Need I say more? Can't wait till this stuff comes around again.

Edit: The Patriots came back to win with :50 left in the game, 2 hours later, just as I was finishing up the KBS! (4,721 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

I had this on tap at Capone's during the Philly Beer Week promotion.
Served chilled in 5.5oz snifters - I had 3.

A - An onyx shade with a thin cap of medium brown like crema on espresso. The clarity is opaque and the head retention is decent w/ spattering of lace taking hold to the small snifter.

S - At once the full nose has fruity deep plum and aromas of bourbon with vanilla and cocoa odors following closely . the notes of wood follow the dark malt, but no strong roasted aroma, simply a coffee, vanilla, bourbon and chocolate blend that smells slightly of alcohol

M - The feel has the oaky tannin of a bourbon barrel yet smooth coffee oil and cocoa astringency are all downplayed by the full foundation of sturdy stout. The chewiness is moderate as is the carbonation and the dry finish still carries a slight note of alcohol from the bourbon barrel with some hops and spiced notes of cocoa, coffee and vanilla

T - The taste....whoah, the taste! That took me back for a second to fresh KBS I tried after Dark Lord day 2 years ago - a full on chewy chocolate malt and vanilla flavor which submits gradually to a hop like pine spice and coffee note which leads to the element that gives the beer its name -bourbon and oak. The mild yet sweet bourbon is drenched in vanilla creaminess and cocoa flavors which have sweet and roasted edges and tinges of nuttiness from the wood complete the flavor. Like a fudge truffle with its rich full cocoa notes and the bourbon taste is the icing on the proverbial cake with intense pine hoppiness creating a contrast that makes fresh KBS the best stout I have had probably with exception of Canadian breakfast stout. The hop finish is delicious and provides a mild bitter dry finish

D - I consider the KBS experience the top of the pack, the pinnacle if you will, I had three of these and as strong as it is it still seems balanced and not at all like an 11% stout. The barrel is used deftly as an ingredient and adds to the delicious tastes of the stout, coffee and vanilla without intrusion, the flavors are all melded together expertly and I think the draft is ever so slightly more drinkable than the bottle. (2,159 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to Brewandbbq for an '08 bottle sent to me quite some time ago. The '09 I sampled directly afterwards is compliments of me.

For sh*ts and giggles sake, we're going to keep up with the tasting of ridonculous beers today. We did the Westys, now let's do the KBS.

Pours totally black with a thin tan head. Nose is whiskey, yes. Vanilla and boozy tones. Flavor is whiskey tones. Heavily influenced by the barrels, yes. I want to say I feel like it is interfering with the original Breakfast Stouts character. Feel is smooth on liquid and carbonation is slightly lower. This is nice and I certainly don't dislike it, but like I was saying: why mess with a damn good recipe?

For comparisons sake, I found the younger bottle of KBS much less "Kentucky" than Breakfast Stout. (777 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Got this from joe151 in an ongoing trade that hopefully yields him a fraction of the beer happiness I think he's sent my way! Cheers, Joe!

Pours oily black with 2+ fingers of mocha/brown head into my La Chouffe tulip. Superior lacing good head retention

S: Big time bourbon smells, coffee & oak, fades a bit as it warms

T: Kahlua, coffee grounds, vanilla & oakyness up front. Chocolate comes through as this warms, along with mocha, a bit of booze, & vanilla. Finishes a little dry, with coffee, chocolate, & bourbon accents with enough restraint to pull everything together

MF: Very rich, dry, with lively enough carbonation to push the flavor out. Becomes fairly warming half way through & super sticky

Drinkability is through the roof for both the style & ABV. Damn near flawless, yum. This damn near pulled a straight-line five, lucky bastards in Michigan that can hoard this! (885 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Poured a thick brown-black with a small, dense mocha head that mostly dissipated, but laced well. Scents of chocolate, molasses, and bourbon. Lots of coffee in the taste, sweet chocolate and vanilla bean, and bourbon that actually isn't too strong, but rather somewhat mellow and masked by the malt roastiness. Complex and delicious. Super, super smooth, and I almost caught a tiny bit of a subtle fruit finish. Full bodied, and definitely very drinkable.

Better than CBS. Easily. (528 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +0.4%

Appears pitch black in color not a spectrum of visible light passes through this glass. Head was thick after a vigorous pour but did not hold up very well, due to the barrel aging and high alcohol. Lace does patch rather well with sporadic chunky style lace patterns.

Aroma has a black patent malt that is unrelenting with massive whiskey barrel approaches going on. Vanilla, oak, charred wood, and dark chocolate with a milky softness going on, it's quite incredible the array of flavors this beer hits you with. Whiskey finesses it's way in there with loads of fusel alcohol snaring the nasal passages.

Flavor a wonderful collision of imperial breakfast aka chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal stout aged on whiskey barrels. I can't wait to taste the Canadian Breakfast Stout due to be on tap at Fathead's soon. Pure flavor with charred oak, milk chocolate, and bitter coffee roasts coming together I'm sure there's a ton of hops if the IBUs weigh in at 70, but it's hard to detect with everything going on here. Great stuff.

Mouthfeel is velvety smooth yet viscous in girth if that makes sense. It has the gravity but doesn't weight you down, a bit of alcohol burn does take your senses on but it's really well hidden at the end of the day.

Drinkability is fantastic one of those beers that you buy a four pack and sit on it every 4 months just to enjoy it. Great tasting Michigan brewed beer that has kicked this style up a notch and created many other folks' inspiration. (1,477 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me friend's gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Props to Schlimenhaumer for the bottle share - thanks, man. I've waited a long time to try this one and I couldn't be more excited. Expectations are through the roof. 11.2%. No best before or bottled on date. I'm approaching it skeptically on account of the hype.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with dark chocolate.

A: Pours a one finger rich tan colour beautiful head of great cream, fantastic thickness, and damned impressive retention for the high ABV. Colour is a nontransparent solid black. no yeast particles are visible, but it's nontransparent and opaque. No bubble show. It's looking damn good so far.

Sm: Rich chocolate and quality mocha coffee java notes. Roasted barley and dark malts. Marvelous bourbon oak - but not too much. Who knew they could make bourbon so subtle? Some great vanilla on the climax; it's a bit buried but it's there. Cream. It's so rich and exquisite I can barely wait to drink it. Yet in spite of its rich complexity and subtlety, it's surprisingly restrained - it's moderate in strength. I'm just hoping the taste delivers on the promise of the aroma. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

T: Rich chocolate and exquisite coffee. Dark malts form the foundation. Cream opens and closes the beer. Roasted barley gives it a solid but subtle backbone. The bourbon is so damned subtle it's unbelievable. I'm having trouble finding the vanilla, but I do get it on the climax - though I will say I wish it were a touch stronger. There's a vague cookies n cream esque vibe to the climax. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's all around incredibly balanced and very well built. I'm impressed. Very complex and subtle. This is a damn good imperial stout. Hardly any boozy heat comes through at all, except perhaps on the finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Rich. Creamy up front but the cream bleeds through to the end. Just thick enough; perfect. Ideal carbonation. Suits the flavours near perfectly.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable, especially for the well-hidden ABV. I'd definitely get this again - if I was so lucky. Really an incredible imperial stout all around. I quite love it. In a world populated by so many imperial stouts, it's hard to stand out - but this beer does. It lives up to the hype. I'm really blown away. It's not quite perfect, but it's a damn good beer - that's for sure. This one delivers.

A

---
12/31/13: Truncated notes for a 2011 vintage bottle. Tasted side-by-side with BCBS.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger head of khaki colour which recedes within 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes. Body is a solid opaque black. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Sm: Sweet. Rich vanilla/oak bourbon notes. It's rare I find bourbon executed better than it is here - certainly better than the 2012 BCBS I'm drinking at the same time. Dark malts. Chocolate malts. Some subtle roasted barley. Cream. Gorgeous coffee/java with some coffee roast and the perfect amount of bitterness.

No hop character/alcohol is detectable.

T: Ah yeah. That's the stuff. Damn near perfect bourbon notes are seamlessly integrated with the base beer. Subtle coffee, good sweet dark/chocolate malts, cream, and hints of hazelnut.

There's the perfect amount of alcohol warmth, but no booziness or harshness.

Damn near perfectly balanced. Build is gestalt; you couldn't remove anything without damaging it.

Mf: Great creaminess. Smooth and wet. Great presence on the palate. Ideal body and thickness for the style. Complements the flavour profile beautifully, but doesn't quite custom-tailored specifically to it per se.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable for the high ABV. It's certainly a treat, but I do think I prefer it a bit closer to fresh. This is a beer I'll continue to seek out and enjoy. It's real difficult to compare to the BCBS - both are great beers, and I think age determines which is better.

High A- (4.25)

***
04.02.15: Brief 2nd impressions from a 2015 bottle.

Opaque black with a restrained head that don't stay around long.

Aroma is luscious bourbon with great chocolate tones. Great notes of white oak.

The bourbon barrel aging is amongst the best in the business, and melts seamlessly into the chocolatey base, which boasts a near ideal sweetness. Balanced near perfectly, with a very cohesive gestalt build. Quite a treat, with ample subtlety to its execution and plenty of complexity. A nice cream note.

Nice creamy soft mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation. Full-bodied.

Fucking magical.

A- (4,735 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours black as coal with about one finger of thin tan head which dissipates quickly.

The first aromas to hit me was the bourbon followed by some chocolate with a hint of coffee.

The taste was of dark chocolate,bourbon, perhaps a hint of vanilla.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied,very,very smooth. Slight alcohol on the finish.

Very drinkable at 11.2%, a sipper without a doubt... (382 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%

Review #350 - finally getting around to reviewing this classic brew. Picked up a ton of the '09 vintage at the release party. Served in my Surly pint glass.

A - One finger of dark tan/mocha foam that slowly dissipates to a solid cap and ring and leaves a pretty solid lace. Pitch black brew, with no light anywhere to be found. The only thing lacking is head volume, which is forgivable for a 11.2% brew.

S - Intense smell of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and roasted malts. Strongly reminds me of a Coffee Crisp chocolate bar soaked in whiskey, which is a great thing as I love both of those things. As it warms up there are more subtle notes of wood and hazelnuts. It's just a wonderfully balanced and well-integrated combination of flavors.

T - The taste is terrific, but not quite as rich as the smell. Very strong onset of chocolate and vanilla flavors, before transitioning into light whiskey and a strong roasty bitterness that lingers well into the aftertaste. Never tastes particularly hot or over-the-top.

M - Very low carbonation, super creamy and soft in texture, with a mediuum-thick body. Leaves behind lots of residual stickiness that complements the roasty aftertaste. There's a nice bit of warming that happens after a while.

D - This is one of the few high ABV barrel-aged stouts where I want more than a single 12oz bottle. The lovely sweet flavors keep the booziness from getting out of hand and the wonderful texture makes it something I just can't stop sipping.

It's exceptional that a beer that is pretty readily available (at least during March) maintains such a high level of quality. One of the few stouts in the top 100 that isn't overrated. (1,681 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served, on tap, in a brandy snifter. Good starting head but it settles quickly to rim bubbles. Leaves a small amount of blanketing lace and a couple of spots. Deep dark mahoghany brown where the faintest of light passes.

Chalky milk chocolate aroma up front. Mild alcohol with a powdered cocoa kicker (distinct from the milk chocolate.)

Extremely smooth, perhaps the silkiest, velvety mouthfeel ever. This stout works backwards--it starts with a black patent malt bitterness but this fades as the as a strong sherry-like grape sweetness takes over. Strong alcohol finish with semisweet chocolate overtones.

Usually I'm slightly disappointed by the "top beers". While they are typically great, they usually aren't worthy of their effusive accolades. This one, though, does not disappoint. (793 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%

Deepest ebon hue, an impentrable blackness, above which nestles a modest ring of earthy brown, espresso tinges.

Aroma is chocolate first, followed by coffee, then molasses, brown sugar, and licorice.

Taste: Full and thick as it boards the mouth, slipping rich, deliciousness everywhere...this is stoutness of the highest order. Bourbon flavor is here, but feels less sweet than the same stuff straight from the bottle, an impressive blend of flavors. Further in, I can taste the charcoal, even.

So huge, and rich, and very rewarding. Each sip has enough flavor to taste a good 20 minutes, if you're not too thirsty...definitely a sippin' stout! If you don't take your time, you're spoiling a wonderful experience.

I must say, this is a hyperbolic label, but it's all truth in advertising. Gotta wonder how they slip it past the beurocracy, with it's jesting claims of giving relief from all manner of ailments. It is most assuredly "good for everything a stout ought to be good for."

Very nice bedtime brew. Wish I had a case or three to last me a spell.
Way to go, Founders, another impressive ale!
(and thanks to AKSP!) (1,139 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Was able to score 6 bottles of the 2012 version. The fist time I had this was on draft so I maybe a little skewed towards the version.

Poured from the bottle into a CBS snifter. Pours a deep dark brown/black with a dark brown head.

Smells of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, alcohol. Taste was strong of bourbon and booze, but also included vanilla and coffee. Mouthful was smooth and was thinner then some of the other BA stouts that I've had.

Will be looking to see how this one tastes with some age on it. (510 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +4.8%

Received in a BIF from SpeedwayJim, thanks Jim!Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a dark brown with 2-3 inches of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, bourbon, roasted malts, and vanilla. Hints of coffee.

t - Tastes of coffee, vanilla and bourbon. It tasted sweeter than I was expecting, but I enjoyed it a lot. A great combination here as everything is quite balanced. Also some roasted malts and maybe a little chocolate.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Perfect.

d - I loved KBS. I'm a huge fan of bourbon stouts and this might be the best one I've ever had. I thought the coffee, vanilla, and bourbon in the taste was perfected balanced and that the mouthfeel was perfect for a stout. It's a touch hot, but I still really enjoyed it. Would love to get more of this one. (855 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -4%

2010 release, had to try it, couldn't wait.

Poured into a goblet. Beer is black and appears thick. Forms a thin head of brown bubbles that is diffuse on the surface and quickly breaks. Head leaves some lacing on the glass, carbonation is low.

For being aged in bourbon barrels, I expected a little more booze. Strong sweet, coffee aroma. Booze and bourbon secondary in the nose. Smells good, not as forward with the bourbon as I thought the BCS is in general. Still smells good.

Its not hot, moderate in body, finishes nicely. Sweet up front, not a lot of bitterness in the back, highly drinkable in the palate. Second taste, chocolate, slight, hint of bitter this time in the back, like coffee. Overall an exceptional beer truly. (733 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -7.7%

2010 Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A - Pours jet black with a nice one finger tall khaki head, dissipating down to a thin film, leaving

S - Smells of coffee grounds, warm bourbon, light chocolate sweetness, dark roasted malts, and some dulled heat. A bit of dry oak and rubbing alcohol comes thru as it comes to room temp. Not too bad.

T - Starts off with some dark roasted coffee giving way slowly to a mix of dulled chocolaty sweetness and some dry wood tannins. Finish is a mix of dark roast and muted bourbon heat. About a year in the bottle now and it seems to have dulled the coffee and bourbon heat a bit but that is to be expected. I like the direction it is headed in. Can't wait to try this one again in a year.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Big, full, feel with a mix of coffee grounds and dulled bourbon heat in the finish.

D - Pretty good. Even with the high ABV. it is still very drinkable. The dark flavors can wear on you over the course of multiple servings but it is worth it. I look forward to this release every year and while I like this beer out of the bottle, I love it on-tap. Can't wait to sit down with a draft and see how it shapes up. (1,201 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +1.5%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled 2/17/2012. Re-rate from last year. Pours thick pitch black color with a small 1 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some slight spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, molasses, toffee, espresso, roasted malt, bourbon, and oak. Fantastic aromas here with great balance and good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, caramel, molasses, vanilla, toffee, espresso, bourbon, roasted malt, oak, biscuit, and slight herbal hops. Almost no bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, vanilla, toffee, bourbon, molasses, oak, and roasted malt on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic flavor balance, without the bourbon being too overpowering; and no cloying sweetness at all. Light-medium carbonation and full bodied; with an insanely creamy, slick, lush, and super smooth mouthfeel. Alcohol is extremely well hidden at 11.2% with only a slight warming after the finish noticed. Extremely easy to drink, but is still a sipper. Overall this is definitely a world class barrel aged imperial stout. Big balanced and robust flavors; with an incredibly smooth and lush mouthfeel. This is definitely at it’s best when fresh. (1,263 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to BrewerB for this!

Pours black with a brown head that becomes a wisp. A bit of lacing sticks.

The smell is of chocolate, coffee, roasty with bourbon.

The taste is of chocolate, coffee, bourbon - wow - this is tasty! (I think I might like the actual coffee and chocolate used in the other Breakfast Stout a bit more, but I'm far from complaining). It has a great bourbon character to it, while allowing the dark complexities and roast to come through. Doesn't get too sweet, as there is roast and a dryness in the finish.

Silky smooth, it has just the right touch of carbonation to keep it full but not too thick or syrupy.

Awesome! Overhyped? Nope. Very well-done - a great sipper! (695 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured near black; opaque with a proper head.

Powerful, enticing aroma of dark malts, fine bourbon, and faint wood. Slightly boozy, but less than expected for over 11% ABV. There's a lot going on here, with even more complexity in the flavor. An excellent mix with good balance. Taste is just a tad too smoky/burnt.

M: full body is slightly harsh (recall over 11% ABV); medium carbonation, if off at all, is a tad high; smooth and warming.

O: had 2-3x in the past on tap but this was the 1st time bottled; perhaps because it had some additional age (no way to tell at this point) this was even better than remembered. An excellent big beer; very rich and complex, and a bit boozy in manner most may find appealing. (733 characters)

Served on tap at The Pony Bar in New York, NY

A: Pours a midnight black with a thin light tan head which reduces over time but leaves a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: A very delicious smelling beer - lot of dark roasted malts, chocolate, coffee ,vanilla, and oak. Lots of complexity, the hints of bourbon from the barrels is very noticeable.

T: What a great complex and well balanced beer. Starts with a lot of coffee/espresso and chocolate flavors, moves to an oaky vanilla, and then finishes with a linger coffee bitterness.

M: Medium to full bodied with light to moderate carbonation. Very creamy and very smooth.

O: A fantastic beer that really hides the high ABV very well. I look forward to this beer every year in the late winter and this year again it does not disappoint. Great complexity to the smell + flavor and a great balance between the sweetness + bitterness in the flavor. I wish I could get this one more easily. (982 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a warm black and chocolate malt scent along with a beautiful bourban whiskey aroma. It's got a coffee-like aroma that really draws you in. The taste is perfect. This is the best tasting stout I've ever had. It has a very complex palate of flavors ranging from sweet and creamy to earthy and coffee like. The bourban barrel aging really mellows it out and greatly enhances the taste. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. I enjoyed this on tap at the brewery. It was the last stop on my roadtrip and was definately worth it. I wish we could get this in NY. This is the best stout I've tried. It's about as close to a perfect beer that you're going to find. (830 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Review #300! A HUGE thanks goes out to Scoobydank for giving this bottle to me as a birthday present! Bill, you are the man!

Poured into New Beglium Globe Glass.

Pours a 1/4 finger cocoa brown head. The little head doesn't last long, but the etching brings up some carbonation bubbles. Leaves some lace rings for the little bit of head. Color is a dark dark chocolate brown. The tone of brown is like no other beer I have had.

Aroma: Just amazing. Chocolate. Cocoa. Quality coffee. Hardly, any of the 11.2% abv shows here. A little vanilla. A very robust and complex beer. The blend of chocolate and coffee is just perfect. A nice layer of bourbon and oak go with the other flavors so well. If I could only smell one beer in the world, this would be it (to date that is).

Taste: A little alcohol with the bourbon up front. Strong coffee. Chocolate. (As I am reviewing this, I look at the bottle and realize the side says Malt Beverage brewed with chocolate and coffee. Well at least Founders doesn't lie). Vanilla is definitely doesn't hide here. After I sip on this a bit more, I realize that the alcohol I am tasting is the bourbon. As the beer warms up a bit, the bourbon begins to taste better and better. Very amazing tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, rich, and creamy (just like CBS). The bourbon loves to shine through the longer it stays in my mouth. Leaves a very chocolate malty aftertaste. Full bodied. The carbonation level is right on the money for a beer like this (a medium level). Ends a little dry and hot.

Honestly, I don't really know if there is anything wrong with this beer. This big stout is drinking better than a lot of other beers I have had and it is so much darker (not implying that darker means anything). My beer is almost gone already and I want more of it. I am so impressed with Founders for this beer. They managed to make an 11.2% abv beer be so damn drinkable. If I had more I would easily want to crack open another. I will be buying as much of this as I can next year if it makes it to MN. A must try!

Edit: As I just took the last sip, I was so sad that I realized I had no more of this amazing liquid. If you can get any of this, don't pass it up... ever!

Edit2: Changed a few things for the fresh 2010 batch. Nothing too major. (2,276 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company