Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,274
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,805 | Hads: 10,805
4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

It's my birthday and I did nothing but work for 12 hours. I came home and fell asleep for two hours, so technically, it's no longer my birthday. Be that as it may, I got up and decided to hit the beers. I'm getting a kegerator next week and my refrigerator is currently loaded with 200+ beers. Luckily I'm a chef and can bring food home, because I sure as hell have no where to store it. Irrelavent. Drank many other beers. Decided to have a special beer for the occasion. Good God this is good. I'm not a scientific rater. I'm not going to break this down to categories. What I will say is that I hate coffee. I also hate bourbon. And if I could, this beer would flow from every tap in my home. I went through hell to procure just one 2007 bottle of this Felix Felicitas, and my advice to everyone is: If you find it, buy it. All of it. Elbow people in the face if they get too close before you get it home. You will not regret it. Cheers!

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%

Oil can black color with a thin tan head. High ABV keeps the head down and there is no lace. Smell of bourbon with some coffee and burnt malt in the background. Taste hits you up front with the bourbon and then the coffee and burnt malts slip in. Some dark fruits and raisin flavors slip in there too. Very full mouth with very litle carbonation. Some major burn in the finish. Overall this one is exactly what you would expect. Big, in your face, full of alcohol. Well done Founders.

received from mikesgroove as part of "review this" BIF. bottled 2/17/09 poured into dfh snifter

a-pours so thick. even with a 10-12" pour the beer does not splash, it barely moves. little one finger head settles quick. foam ring around the glass is almost a pinkish brown.
s-you can smell this one from 3 feet away. chocolate and espresso comes first. little wood and some alcohol but its smooth and it blends together nicely.
t-big flavors right from the start. chocolate, alcohol, woody notes, mild liquorish. there's a clear taste of molasses, more than most stouts Ive had. the wood/bourbon flavor contributes a big smokiness along with the roasted malt. big time heat you can feel in your gut. I only got mild coffee in the taste. Big but good.
m-thick! the thick mouth does work excellent with the big flavors to make a memorable experience.
d-the heat did distract me. not the mildest 11% I've had, however I did not have a problem finishing the bottle.

4.79/5  rDev +5%

Popped this for my 100th review. 2009 vintage

A- Pours an oily black with a short lived burnt brown head.

S- Heavy bourbon barrel, rich dark chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla, a bit of smoke in there, gourmet coffee. Truely wonderful, I could sniff this for days (that's what she said).

T- Similar to the nose. The smoke, coffee, cocoa, and bourbon flavors integrate nicely. 11.2% hidden fairly well.

M- Light carbonation and slight viscosity, subtle silky tannins smooth it out nicely but not as full as I expected.

D- Powerful beer, but tastes great enough to drink a few glasses. As great as this is, I may have liked the Canadian Breakfast just a little more. Just a hair.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Shared this one with capra12. Served from a 12oz. bottle poured into a Blue Point snifter.

A: Poured a vigorous 1 finger dark chocolate fine head with ok retention. Brew itself was black and opaque like motor oil with near no carbonation. Lacing was spotty but ample.

S: Overwhelming coffee nose with characters of dark and milk chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon.

T: Wow. So damn deep and complex. Starts off with milk and dark chocolate. A strong bourbon character develops along with a nice roasted coffee palate. Finishes with re-emerging dark and milk chocolate and a slightly alcoholic aftertaste.

M: Oily and flat, this one coats the mouth nicely. Deep bodied and viscous and ends dry and clean.

D: This is Founders Breakfast Stout but just better in every way that it could be better. More chocolate, deeper coffee, and overall more complexity and character. An amazing experience that I can't wait to have again.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

w-o-w. pours midnight black with an almost nothing beige head. aroma is deeep, dark chocolate, black coffee, kentucky bourbon, and maybe some more black coffee. taste is very strong of coffee, with some chocolate and an alcohol finish. very thick, roasty and full of coffee and chocolatey goodness. one of the best beers i have ever had in general, hands down.

This beer is almost indescribable. Jet black body. Aroma of dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, bourbon. Flavor - more of the same. Unbelievably complex but no odd flavors. Mouthfeel - extremely rich. Drinkability - even at 11% ABV I want to drink this all the time. Next year I need 2 cases.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle courtesy of Kryptic. Bottled 2/16/09. Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

KBS pours pitch black. Not a bit of light shines through this one- and I was really looking for it, too. A small dark brown head doesn't stick around long, leaving spotty lacing. As I swirl it in the glass I can see brown, boozy legs slowly sliding down the sides.

Smell is all bourbon and vanilla up front. As it warms I get lots of caramel and chocolate, and finally after searching long and hard I finally picked out a bit of the coffee. I now understand that this isnt FBS from a bourbon barrel- I am dealing with a completely different animal.

Taste starts off tremendously sweet with chocolate and vanilla, finished off with a slight bitter roasted flavor from the coffee. The coffee really helps to balance this one out, but it is certainly not at the forefront. The bourbon heat gives it a nice kick on the finish. I dig this one a lot.

Nice smooth mouthfeel. Minimal carbonation makes this one slick and oily, and the bourbon warmth coats my palate with each sip. It could use a bit more carbonation, but nonetheless it was still a joy to sip on for an hour or so. The drinkability is out of this world for the ABV, but with another year on it I think the bourbon heat will have mellowed out and this one would be just about pitch perfect.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on Feb-16-09

The appearance is dark dark dark black. Even the edges of this are black. Comes with a small mocha head that leaves fast. It does cover the sides of the glass with a thick alcoholic residue.

The smell is a mixture of the tastes. Bourbon and alcohol are overwhelming smells. Chocolate and coffee and small hints of vanilla. Dark fruits, sweet plumbs mostly. Bourbon overtakes everything.

The taste is fairly hot. Bourbon just takes the stage and steals the show. Coffee flavors are not as present as I wanted them to, chocolate is also a very large character. The chocolate in this is more sweet bakers chocolate rather than earthy chocolate malt flavor. The bourbon is not smooth like Bourbon County, it is a bit more rough on the palate and interferes with some of the other flavors. When it warms up to room temperature the vanilla character comes out.

The mouthfeel is great because I personally love a bourbon mouthfeel, hot and intense. The drinkability is good, but the ABV can be tasted. I would easily drink 4 of these in a sitting and love it. A great Winter brew.
I have read other reviews and maybe mine is either not old enough or too old? I don't know but this is one good beer that I wish I could buy all the time.
Not better than FBS.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Birthday present to myself 10102009

Poured into a snifter with a very little carmel colored head. Appears pitch black, this beast is thick. Smells of dark chocolate and coffee, i am not really smelling any of the bourbon. Taste is like a dark chocolate truffle, wow this is tasty and the alchol burn is very mild as well which is nice. Mouthfeel is creamy with bubbles from the slight amount of carbonation. If i was able to drink more then two i would. Best stout i have had so far with blackout stout being a close second. Recomended

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Appearance- Poured rich and dark, nice caramel colored foam collar.

Smell- Full smell, with vanilla, coffee and caramel hints.

Taste- This is where it kind of lost me. It tasted like a good Imperial Stout should, until the after taste where it hit me like I had just taken a shot of less than premium whiskey. Good thing is, it encouraged me to take another drink quickly to replace the taste.

Mouthfeel- Not overly carbonated and the perfect heaviness for the style.

Drinkability- The texture of it was great, and it went down smooth, up until the after taste.

Received a single sample in a beer trade. 12 oz. stubby bottle with a twistie top. Western looking type treatment and aged paper look on the label. No fresh date to be found.

Pours like dirty motor oil with a similar viscosity. Creamy dark-tan head sits atop the tar pit.

The beer smells awesome! Best aroma on a beer I had dipped my nose into in quite some time. Tons of chocolate, like the innards of a nestle quick powder container. Tons of wood in there. Some roast, and charred marsh mellow.

The beer is as full bodied as one gets, fluffy, with a slickness that coats the palate.

Lots of chocolatey sweetness up front with a flavor of malted milk balls, black coffee, burnt sugars, some earthy flavors most likely from the oak aging. Finishes with the dryness of a burnt marshmellow and black coffee.

Great Imperial Stout, seriously delicious, seriously potent.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

This bottle courtesy of seanpacheffda. Thanks for this awsome extra!

2009 bottle with the "KBS" label. Poured into my Suly tulip. Bery dark brown on the pour, but in the glass it looks jet black. About a finger of dark mocha colored head, which fades into a thin layer and leaves some splotches of lacing.

The nose is a complex combination of bourbon, oak, bitter chocolate, coffee, milk chocolate and vanilla, tabacco and a nice roasty character. Very nice nose.

The taste is initially very strong on the coffee and bourbon notes. Vanilla, chocolate and oaky characters come in after the initial bourbon wave. A very nice warming presence. Light bitter taste that sits on your tongue after you swallow. So complex and so tasty, this is very impressive. Another huge upside is that this isn't anywhere near as hot as I thought it was going to be, the alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is full and thick, it coates your mouth. Creamy and smooth with an appropriately low carbonation. Very nice. Drinkability is very impressive also. Sip and savor this one.

I'm extremely fortunate and glad to get a chance to try this mammoth of a beer. It completely deserves it's stature among the best in the world. I would really love to try an older bottle to see the differences and changes with this beer. Thanks, Sean for the chance!

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

I decided to crack a 2009 vintage bottle tonight to see how it's aging. 12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

This beer is very dark brown to black with a finger of very silky chocolate milk colored head. The head fades into a thin layer and leaves very spotted lacing.

The nose is full of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, and baker's chocolate. It smells delicious!

The first sip hits me with coffee and bourbon. I'm actually getting a lot more bourbon in this now than when it was fresh. The vanilla and chocolate come next and are rounded out with some oaky tannins and alcohol. There's a slight bitter finish that lingers in between sips. The alcohol isn't hot, but it is warming.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy with low carbonation, but I wouldn't say it's slick.

One of the best imperial stouts out there and a must try if you haven't already. I can't wait for the next release.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

12-oz bottle of the 2008 vintage poured into a tulip.

A = Dark mahogany, very small medium reddish tan head. When I first started pouring I thought it was flat, but some carbonation did show up after all.

S = Vanilla, oak, chocolate powder, some mustiness (not as in an off way) but more of the nice smell of an unused, clean attic, even some hints of dark fruits, plums, dark cherries.

T = Wow! The bourbon tastes are still in there in force, also very strong flavors of chocolate and vanilla, some woody oak, and also still some of those fruits I picked up in the nose but much more subdued given the wealth of flavors up front.

M = A truly exceptional mouthfeel, full bodied, great mouthcoating, frothy, luscious, creamy. Just excellent!

D = A little strong in strength of flavor and burn to rate perfectly in drinkability. You don't just want to quaff this. On the other hand, it is really good, I really want to keep taking each sip and look forward to the next time.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Slightly chilled poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Deep black. The head was roughly an inch thick with a caramel coffee coloration. Left a thick lacing behind as well as a "stained" look on the empty glass.

Smell: This beer has an invigorating smell that is remeniscent of espresso beans with a hint of Bourbon.

Taste: A seemingly complex taste for a stout. The beer has a bourbon laced coffee taste. It is malty and sweet with a smooth taste of bourbon/vanilla. The alcohol can easily be sensed from the first drink making it a nice beer to savor. Took me about 35 minutes to finish the first one.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice thick coating feeling which leaves every taste bud tingling and exploring for ever note of the beer. Surprisingly has an alcohol type burn similar to a shot of bourbon.

Drinkability: Like I said, it took me 35 minutes to drink one but this isn't a beer that was meant to be devoured immediately. It seems to mature the longer it sits in your glass so patience is rewarded. Overall drinkability is very good.

Was served out of a bottle. I recently talked with a Founders Rep and he stated they have it on tap currently. I'm going to try and hurry in for some. I guess they also have some great habanero beer. Can't wait.

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

2009 bottle of KBS consumed on 9/24/09, served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Poured with a small foamy brown head that dissipated leaving almost no lacing on my glass. The beer is black and lets no light through.

Smell: Amazing, so strong I can smell it 2 feet away. Strong delicious coffee, Dark chocolate, deep roasted malt, faint sweet plum, and a small amount of toffee.

Taste: Strong coffee like the smell, nice roasted malt flavor, sweet malt, plum flavor is more prevalent in the taste than smell, some sweet oaky and bourbon flavors, dark bitter chocolate. The flavors are combined so nicely, I can only imagine what a few more months would do to this beer!!

Mouthfeel: Thick body, very smooth with a nice, but small, amount of carbonation, a little sticky sweet, leaves mouth with a nice roasted dry feel and a little bit sticky. Very little alcohol burn, especially considering the ABV on it.

Overall: Amazing drinkability!! So many huge aromas in the smell, it made me think this would be difficult to finish... until I tasted it. Despite the huge coffee flavor and roasted malt this beer is so smooth!! The sweet character combined with the bitter roasted/coffee/chocolate flavors and oaky bourbon keep me very interested. Quite complex and smooth... just what I was hoping for!

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure how old this bottle since I randomly came across it...I know it's not fresh...there was the tiniest "tss" sound when I opened it which made me think it might have lost it's carbonation...

This beer pours a thick jet black. It gloops nicely into the glass. With a vigorous pour there is initially no head whatsoever, but it eventually erupts briefly into a small dark tan head and recedes relatively quickly. Nice lacing that doesn't seem to budge.

Strong smell of oak and a smokiness that was also present in the regular breakfast stout. Espresso, chocolate, and bourbon combine in a way that's reminiscent of a coffee liqueur. Heat from the alcohol is nice and not overpowering.

Rich...very rich...the taste goes a long with the smell with more bitter chocolate and dark roasted coffee. It sort of expands in the finish with the oak and smoky flavors.

Thick and oily with very little carbonation, smooth and not cloying...the flavor slowly erupts and lingers with a very long finish

For the ABV it's very drinkable, the bourbon is not over the top and it's very rich and thick. Even though I wouldn't guzzle this beer, I don't exactly feel the need to call it a "sipper"

Founders has really perfected balance with this beer. All of the flavors are pretty evenly represented. Nothing is too much or too little. I think the bourbon flavors could have been easily over the top for me since I'm not really a hard liquor fan, but it's evenly balanced with coffee and chocolate. Just plain delicious!

Phenomenal...to be able to have just as rich (if not richer) chocolate and coffee flavors as a Peche' Mortel but have 11.2% alc. as opposed to 9.5% blows me away!

My girlfriend and I had it for the very first time last night and what made it even sweeter is whoever rung us in at the register charged us for only 1 instead of 4!!!

Extremely smooth and HIGHLY recommended to anyone that enjoys a good american double!!!

Tom and Analise

3.83/5  rDev -16%

Purchased in a 4 pack of bottles.

Beer pours with some viscosity and little head. What head there is dissipates quite quickly.

Smells delicious, caramel, malt, chocolate with a hint of hops.

Initial taste has some bite, but mellows out quickly. Definite biscuit, chocolate with a silky smooth finish. No real strong aftertaste, ends up surprising clean. Feels quite nice, low on the carbonation a bit but not too shabby!

A drinkable beer without a doubt.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was poured on tap into a snifter glass. The beer was black wtih a brown head. The head was big and fabulous. There was a definite chocolate aroma (which is a bit of a surprise). The taste was super chocolately and you could feel the bourbon barrel but not overwhelmingly so. The alcohol was noticeable and had a bit of a bite on the tongue (I imagine before aging it might have had a lot more bite!) Drinkability... I never know how to rate drinkability on a high ABV beer, it's drinkable, yes, only to a point!

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by Arbitrator, labeled as KBS (I heard this is due to a similar legal problem that caused Kentucky Fried Chicken to be called KFC). If lawyers have their way, we'll be speaking in all acronyms before too long. Anyway, this beer owns something fierce, almost but not quite eqaul to the legendary Canadian Breakfast Stout.

A - Pours a viscous, oily jet black with a small, creamy tan head that leaves a ring around the glass. This has legs like a Swedish bikini model, i.e. they're very good.

S - Aroma is coffee, roast, chocolate, and high-quality Kentucky bourbon.

T - Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt that adds a little sweetness, vanilla, oak, and of course loads of bourbon. Not too much though. Almost but not quite as good as Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. A little boozy, but certainly not unpleasantly so...or maybe I was just too drunk to notice (and you can't blame me since we had all three Breakfast Stout incarnations at this tasting + other awesome stuff).

M - Palate is smooth, creamy, and oily with low carbonation. Some alcohol warmth.

D - Pretty good for a bourbon barrel imperial stout.

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Thick syrupy black in color. Two fingers of thick creamy medium brown head. Good rention and plenty of lacing. Very beautiful.

4.5 S: Bourbon and pungent espresso offer a big punch right from the get go. Roasty toasty barley and chocolate top off the aroma.

4.0 T: I am a bit disappointed. The taste is very good and I really enjoy it. However, the bourbon and coffee don't mesh as well as I hoped or expected. Flavors include lots of bourbon, lots of coffee, chocolate and roasted barley.

4.5 M: Full body. Very creamy and smooth. Warming on finish.

4.0 D: Alcohol is less pronounced than I'd expect and that is great. Like I said in the taste section, the coffee and bourbon competes rather than complements. I probably won't be having too many more of these since GI BBS is a much better bourbon barrel brew and the regular FBS is a much better coffee stout.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Recently sampled on both bottle and draft. The below mirrors most of my thoughts from the draft version, but with a few noted differences. The bottle was approx. a year old or more.

A - Dark brown, minimal head... good lacing. While the tap version stuck to the glass, leaving a sticky film after each sip, there was very little of that from the bottle.

S - dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, slight milky sweetness, wood, subdued burbon and booze. Much more mellow than draft.

T - As the scent goes...complex blend of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate combined with a delicate blend of burbon, vanilla, wood with a touch of milky sweetness. The bottle version featured a more mellow burbon taste which allowed the other flavors to stand out and blend.

M - Medium bodied. The bottle version is much smoother, slightly lighter and less sticky than the tap.

D - Well the bottle version wins out over the tap version in my book. The extra aging gives the flavors and textures a bit more time to mellow out and blend together. The subdued boozyness increases the drinkability. The only attribute that was less desireable was the appearance due to lack of full head and lack of coating.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Acquired this beauty thanks to BEERchitect. I've been dreaming of cracking this open for weeks. I've woken up in a cold sweat a few times dreaming of dancing Founders bottles with KBS letters flying out at me and into my mouth, and rivers of dark tasty liquid showering me in droves of awesomeness. And now its finally time to sample this thing. I feel like that virgin 17year old at prom that finally steps into the hotel room with his date, made of beer.

A: AS it pours it leaves a dark stain on the air. As it rims around the glass it also leaves a dark brown syrup on the sides, it so thick I can't even call it a stain. I can only match the thickness of this to 40W oil after it came out of a 200k mile car and was there almost all 200k miles. I can almost see chunks of grains floating out with it, but I think that's my brain on KBS. A very faint almost detectable head starts to appear, but it's just a tease as it fades from memory and leaves a few small cliques of bubbles

N: Despite being able to smell the roasted malts and chocolate from the stains on the air, I decided to go in deeper. I think I need someone to cover me. The nose is so overwhelming I think my insides just stained a dark coffee brown color. Tons of coffee and roasted malts just come billowing out of the glass on a horse of dark bakers chocolate. It does remind me a lot of regular breakfast stout at this point, but then comes the awesomeness of the bourbon and oak. The remnants of the bourbon and alcohol dance their way into my nostrils burning the edges slightly as my nose both cringes and begs for more like a sadomasochistic kid getting his first taste of the whip. Did I mention there was some coffee and chocolate there?

T: Oooohhhh snap! Here comes the train. The molasses thick oil like liquid slowly spreads out over my tongue. Lots of sweetness and chocolate come spreading out. The coffee instantly wakes my ass up, hence breakfast. The alcohol taste and burn really just lashes out at my mouth with hot pokers almost as if my mouth has just died and gone to hell. The bourbon taste starts to come through once the heavy set chocolate and coffee attempt to die out. And by attempt to die out I mean when your mouth starts to become used to it because this stuff never goes away. More dark sweetness that could only have come from the depths of Candyland hell start to berate my taste buds for attempting a second sip. It leaves a thick coating all around the mouth as if it was secretly made of wax that sticks when warm. It also seems to leave a slightly milky residue bringing me back to 5th grade and dousing my milk with so much chocolate I used to just take the Hersheys plastic container and fill IT with milk rather than the other way around. Some quick oats dash their way into the taste enough to make a horse blush. A touch of oak and vanilla round it off, if you can say that.

M: Really? Have you not figured out by now? Super thick and sticky, a viscosity of some huge number. The alcohol burns the edges of the mouth and any flesh that dares stand in it's way. Could use a slight bit of more carbonation, but that is most likely a product of the aging.

F: Finishes semi sweet, like just chewing on a piece of rubber coffee cake and then biting on some baker's chocolate. The thickness fills all the pours and taste buds so much so that I don't think I'll be able to taste my dinner tomorrow. The coffee's caffeine can't be absorbed anymore as everything is coated with that huge thick substance, more solid than liquid. The slight oak and vanilla, followed by bourbon and more alcohol seem to fade last on the tongue, except the chocolate and coffee which never disappear. With it being so ridiculously thick and strong tasting I can barely continue to sip it.

Final thoughts: While I'm sitting here enjoying this amazing beverage that I have been having wet dream about, I think my house is on fire, my son is probably in the corner chewing on wires or something, and the Patriots are somehow getting their butts kicked by Buffalo, but none of that matters as my world fades into a vertigo feeling as I blissfully attempt to consume and digest this crazy stuff. It's almost as if I'm living vicariously through myself trying to enjoy this, or am I still dreaming. Perhaps its a coma I slipped into when I took my first sip of it. I don't even think there is a word in the English language to describe it, so I'll make one up. This beer, is it still really a beer at this point, anyways this beer is transcendingerompteous. Need I say more? Can't wait till this stuff comes around again.

Edit: The Patriots came back to win with :50 left in the game, 2 hours later, just as I was finishing up the KBS!

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company