Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,187
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,777 | Hads: 10,601
4.87/5  rDev +7%

2009 version poured into a snifter.

A- Jet black with about two fingers of creamy dark brown head. Excellent lacing and head retention throughout the entire session.

S- Aromas of coffee and chocolate rush into my nose followed by strong notes of bourbon. This beer would smell exactly like coffee if it weren't for the bourbon.

T- Definite notes of bourbon, chocolate and coffee. The alcohol warms the chest nicely, however, it never seems to overpower the beer.

M- Velvety smooth and extremely viscous. One of the thickest beers I've drank. Moderate amounts of carbonation.

D- This beer makes me want to keep drinking more and more but it is definitely a sipper and the high ABV (and price) would make it hard to have more than one in a night. (749 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +0.4%

On tap at The Bavarian Lodge - Lisle, IL

Pours black with a milk-chocolate colored head that has good retention and leaves a decent lacing. Aromas are full - strong bourbon, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and roasted malts. Mouth-feel is medium bodied, but creamy and smooth. Tastes are of rich dark chocolate, espresso, bourbon, vanilla, and roasted malts that come across as sweet rather than bitter. Alcohol is present but not overbearing. Definitely a sipper, but it's so good I can't resist the next sip. Finishes somewhat sweet but is dry; also has hints of spiciness like black pepper, which helps keep its balance.

Had this back to back with Canadian Breakfast Stout. Actually preferred CBS, although both are excellent world class offerings. (749 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -42%

Poured from from a 12 oz bottle into a globe glass.
A- Very black and thick
S- Good combo of coffee and bourbon
T- Starts out as a combo of coffee and bourbon but quickly is overpowered by simply a bourbon flavor
M- Thick, like whole milk or cough syrup
D- one and done, maybe it's just me, but it ended up as drinking as a lightly fermented bourbon. (350 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark and viscous. Nice foam and lacing though it was reduced a bit from aging. The beer was soo dark and thick that it stained the empty glass once consumed.

Aroma is bourbon up front with milk and bitter chocolate in the background. Notes of vanilla and oak peek in and out. I can't keep my nose out! Easily one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

Taste is full on coffee, chocolate and bourbon. Very nicely complimenting each other and harmonious.

Mouthfeel is round and rich with an almost milkshake smoothness. Slight acrid coffee astringency but it's welcome with all the sweetness.

All around a world class beer that deserves it's spot in the top tier.

Edit: This was an 08 bottle cellared by Derek hoppymeal. Thanks for this whale of an extra. By far one of my new favorites. (803 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a glass.

Appearance: Pitch black. Little head comes about. Very fine tan lacing.

Aroma: Coffee and whiskey aromas dominate, rounded out by slight sweetness.

Taste: Strong black coffee that lasts through to the bitter finish. Slight brown-sugar sweetness. Hints of vanilla as well. The whiskey character comes forward as the beer warms. The finish seems to get smokier as it warms as well. Overall a very high-character, complex brew.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, chewy almost. Motor-oil like. Very viscous. (532 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -13.8%

poured from bottle into tulip there is virtually no head. just a 1/8 inch tan foam ring. this thing is DARK you will not see though this one. even with 100,000 candle power i doubt you could make a dent. it does however have some sticky, cloppy lacing.

smells like a dark coffee, dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, caramel, and dark friut maybe plum. there is one aroma in there that is so familiar but i cant place it. it reminds me of my childhood.

chocolate and coffee immediately hit you followed by a sweet caramel/coffee aftertaste. there is however a brisk/dry alcohol taste with a bit of fruit and dryness in the finish. very dry finish actually.

slick alcohol fueled mouthfeel with a nice film left in the mouth. flavor first then the booze, but the flavor lingers while the alcohol moves on. medium to thick feel, leaning toward thick.

this is definately a dessert or nightcap for me personally, it is very sweet for the style and a bit to heavy on the java. (973 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -38%

Founders KBS is a specialty stout, not an american double / imperial, IMO. I love the normal Breakfast Stout which is in the same class as this, but this one is just ok, and really does not taste much like a beer.

Appearance - Outstanding appearance. Jet black with a amber head (very small one with a quick pour) Sticky looking lacing left behind. Think, Breakfast stout without the head.

Smell - Bourbon? Ok, I know that is the type of barrel it was aged in but wow this first bottle is overpowering me. I am sensitive to liquor smells so that is all I am getting out of this one other than maybe a slight woodsy smell some coffee in the back.

Taste - Bourbon, and damned if it is not strong on the bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle? I mean it has a hint of the Breakfast stout behind it, but it pales in comparison to the taste of the liquor. I am going to have a second one on another day before I make this my final verdict*, but I am not fond of the taste in the least. It almost tastes like they added bourbon instead of just letting it soak up the flavors naturally from the wood. *Second bottle as strong as the first. They definitely added bourbon here. I think this would be much better if they had not added and just let it natural soak it from the wood.

Mouthfeel - Makes up some ground here! The mouthfeel is good. Slight bite, but it coats well. Smooth going down, and the alcohol kicks in giving it a nice warming feeling from the gut all the way up.

Drinkability - I am not sure you would drink more than one of these in a session unless you just really like the taste of bourbon, or just wanted to get drunk quick. But really if your looking to just get drunk there are a lot of other cheaper beers that will do it for you. I would not go out of my way to get this one again, but it is good for what it is I guess.

In conclusion, it looks nice, but smells like liquor and tastes like liquor. (1,921 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.9%

I bought a four pack of this beer several months ago, out of the one case that was shipped to my entire area in SC, they have been sitting in my closet for three months, and today, what the hell? Sharing this one actually with my mom, who is a big fan of burbon-infused brews.
On the pour, there now is a snifter of 20-50 motor oil in front of me. The beer has a perfect amount of light lacing that adds to the beauty of this monster. I couldn't see through this with a spotlight if I had one.I wish every cup of espresso looked this delicious.
Smells like burnt burbony oakiness, vanilla, coffee,bitter cocoa, massive malty goodness, iced coffee, a perfect touch of sweetness keeps the alcohol and burbon in a perfect check. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Hops are buried in the malty sweet goodness. It smells so good its almost hard to drink because then it will be gone. To quote Beerfest " I want to stick my dick in it"
O..my..god This is fantastic as anticipated. Kahlua like sweetness, followed by a wave of burbony infused chocolate coffee thick goodness. Vanilla, smoky malts, caramelized brown sugar.I get burbon at the start and finish of each sip in differing levels of spiciness and intensity. The sip is perfect, not spicy and burbony overtones, rather restrained and utilized.
The finish is thick and spicy, like a well aged burbon. The best burbon-infused brew to have ever passed my lips thusfar is being consumed at an alarmingly fast rate, that is the only sad thing about this great experience. A smoked gouda cheese would work beautifully with this. A madagascar vanilla infused dessert, a burbon sauced venison served rare would marry great into the spicy character of this brew...or a great brunch brew with smoked cheese omelets..or as it serves now A Kentucky Breakfast indeed alone in all its delcious goodness.
Founders Breakfast stout is one of my favorites to date, and it's big brother KBS has just completed a meteoric rise to #1.
I am going to hide the bottles I am aging, or they won't last very long! (2,044 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.9%

Big big thanks to zminor for this one.

Pours a deep brown, motor oil color with almost non-existent light brown head forming a ring around the glass. Spotty wet lace and a milky way of bubbles on the surface of the beer. Massive and delicious looking.

Smell is delightfully complex; vanilla and chocolate syrup go well with black coffee and a hint of bourbon booziness. This smells a bit like an FBS with milk and sugar. A nice loose-dirt earthiness is present as well.

Taste is vanilla and dark chocolate with black coffee or acidic espresso and a hot finish.

This is creamy and full bodied with a hot and surprisingly clean finish. Fantastic.

D: I cannot believe this is 11%. The alcohol is well hidden and the beer isn't overly sweet. A nice dry finish makes this thing dangerously drinkable.

I loved this beer far more than I expected to, and disagree with the sentiments that this is overly bourbony. As zminor said: "This is the beer Bourbon County Stout WANTS to be" (985 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Split with kchophead, poured from a 12 oz bottle into two pint glasses in equal portions.

Appearance: Pitch Black with a thin brown head. It left a nice lacing. Very nice looking beer.

The smell was bourbon, and more bourbon followed by some vanilla and roasted notes.

Taste followed nose closely. I know this is supposed to have coffee and chocolate but I just didn't get a lot of it. I'm sure it was there, but they were faint whispers compared to the bourbon's shouting. Vanilla was also prominent.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Light carbonation, but just right for a stout. The alchohol burns going down, but in a good way.

Drinkability certainly takes a hit due to the alchohol. I'll agree with the comments here that say this was like drinking liquor as much as beer in some ways due to the heavy bourbon flavors and the strong alchohol presence.

This was my first BA top 10 beer and I figured it was as good a beer as any to do my first BA review. It was really good, and very unique, but it made me really want to try the regular breakfast stout as the bourbon presence in this beer was so strong that I can barely fathom what it would be like if it were missing. (1,179 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I had really high hopes for this beer. I love the Founders Imperial Stout and the Breakfast Stout, so I was really excited to try the KBS. The KBS poured a rich black color. To me the smell was a little overpowering. This seemed more of a sipping beer and not a gulper. The alcohol taste was too overpowering to enjoy and it nearly masked the hints of coffee and chocolate. (373 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +7%

Had this on tap at the brewpub a few weeks ago for the first time. Then was very surprised to find a single at my local store... had to pick it up in spite of the high price tag. At the brewpub it made a HUGE impression on me, and I thought might be my favorite beer of all time, so I had to make sure it was legit.

A - pours heavy black (into Duvel tulip) with very little to no head. Small carbonation ring around the outside which leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

S - This smells like heaven. Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, roasty malts, deliciousness, vanilla, and did I mention bourbon?

T - The taste is just as good as the smell. Coffee and chocolate up front, bourbon vanilla, then a touch of bitterness on the finish. This is a very high quality beverage. Some slight booziness as it goes down. Definitely warming my insides, but nothing too crazy. Very well hidden 11.2%.

M - Founders has their stuff together when making stouts, similar mouthfeel to their regular BS, and imperial. Maybe a little silkier, but very similar. Super smooth.

D - Definitely one of the more drinkable big stouts around. I could easily put away 2 or 3 of these if they weren't so rare and expensive. I'm going to be sad when I reach the bottom of the glass...

Overall this is an awesome beer, and if you find it somewhere, DO NOT pass it up. Pay the high price tag, it is worth it. (1,379 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this at the Founder's brewery about two weeks ago. Poured into a snifter. Pours blacker than a cow's inside. A light head just sat on the top. Wonderful aroma of chocolate and coffee combined with bourbon - wow what a combo. The taste starts with chocolate and coffe and then the bourbon kicks in with awesome caramel and vanilla flavors. Very smooth, thick and syrupy, the way it should be with a nice throat warming finish. A great sipper and cigar beer. I had the nitro version which I liked way better than the normal version because it tasted a lot smoother. Great beer. (579 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Review #300! A HUGE thanks goes out to Scoobydank for giving this bottle to me as a birthday present! Bill, you are the man!

Poured into New Beglium Globe Glass.

Pours a 1/4 finger cocoa brown head. The little head doesn't last long, but the etching brings up some carbonation bubbles. Leaves some lace rings for the little bit of head. Color is a dark dark chocolate brown. The tone of brown is like no other beer I have had.

Aroma: Just amazing. Chocolate. Cocoa. Quality coffee. Hardly, any of the 11.2% abv shows here. A little vanilla. A very robust and complex beer. The blend of chocolate and coffee is just perfect. A nice layer of bourbon and oak go with the other flavors so well. If I could only smell one beer in the world, this would be it (to date that is).

Taste: A little alcohol with the bourbon up front. Strong coffee. Chocolate. (As I am reviewing this, I look at the bottle and realize the side says Malt Beverage brewed with chocolate and coffee. Well at least Founders doesn't lie). Vanilla is definitely doesn't hide here. After I sip on this a bit more, I realize that the alcohol I am tasting is the bourbon. As the beer warms up a bit, the bourbon begins to taste better and better. Very amazing tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, rich, and creamy (just like CBS). The bourbon loves to shine through the longer it stays in my mouth. Leaves a very chocolate malty aftertaste. Full bodied. The carbonation level is right on the money for a beer like this (a medium level). Ends a little dry and hot.

Honestly, I don't really know if there is anything wrong with this beer. This big stout is drinking better than a lot of other beers I have had and it is so much darker (not implying that darker means anything). My beer is almost gone already and I want more of it. I am so impressed with Founders for this beer. They managed to make an 11.2% abv beer be so damn drinkable. If I had more I would easily want to crack open another. I will be buying as much of this as I can next year if it makes it to MN. A must try!

Edit: As I just took the last sip, I was so sad that I realized I had no more of this amazing liquid. If you can get any of this, don't pass it up... ever!

Edit2: Changed a few things for the fresh 2010 batch. Nothing too major. (2,276 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to GREGER for hooking me up with this

A- Dark black with very little head, carbonation, or lacing to speak of.

S- Smells kind of like someone took a shot of bourbon and poured it into a beer. Slight coffee and smokey scents, but everything is shot down by the alcoholic smell

T- Starts off like a regular coffee stout then BANG, the alcohol kicks. The alcohol burn is quite strong and masks a lot of the flavors. At the same time the bourbon barrel aging definitely imparts its flavor. This, to me , tastes more like liquor than beer, which is weird because the ABV is by no means ridiculously high.

M- mouthfeel is good as it firsts hits the palate then goes somewhat downhill due to the alcohol bite.

D- drinkability on this one could not be higher than a 3. I could not possibly drink two or three of these in one sitting. This is not just due to the ABV, but also how much the alcohol comes through and is not masked superbly.

Overall, a good beer, but the dominating alcohol taste really prevented me from truly appreciating this beer as the alcohol masked a lot of the other flavors associated with this beer. (1,132 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -13.6%

A beautiful beer. Coal black with a thin brown head.

Hints of chocolate, coffee, whiskey and hops in the nose. The malt is overwhelming and not in a bad way. On top of everything already mentioned, there's a splash of caramel.

Lots of roasted things going on. Extremely powerful flavors, but everything is muted by the intense alcohol.

The alcohol is extreme in this beast. It's the dominant flavor and completely overpowers everything else. Still, you pick up the oak, chocolate and coffee. Despite 70 IBUs, there's little acknowledgement from the hops.

It's thick. It's almost chewy thick. Sweetness early on. Chocolate, coffee and bourbon start to take over. Normally where the hops would say hello is an onslaught of alcohol heat. Chocolate and coffee bitterness in the swallow, followed by a lingering bourbony heat. Um, yeah, full bodied if ever there was a full bodied beer. The alcohol isn't hidden at all. It's front and center. With all that, you can expect a dry finish.

If manly beers are your thing, this is the one for you. As soon as you think you like aggressive beers, try this. I hated it four years ago when I first had it. It was just too much. Now, my palate has matured. Yes, it's still a bit much, but I appreciate what Founders has done. This beer doesn't apologize for what it is. If you're lucky enough to find this beer, I suggest letting it sit for a while until you graduate from other imperial stouts. (1,437 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours pure black like motor oil with a sampling of dark brown/cocoa colored head.
Smell is strong of roasted malt coffee, cocoa, like fresh brewing coffee.
Taste is like drinking fresh brewed mocachino that's cold with a lot of roasted taste.
Finish is crisp with a chocolaty ground coffee bean after-taste which lasts with me several minutes after the last drink.
Drinks incredibly well, zero alcohol bite, the smoothed roasted character. (439 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into two snifters at Sierra Grille in Northampton, MA. Bottle was $9.

Pours a inky jet black color that is very viscous, yes like motor oil. The head is laughable.

Smell is a wave of warm alcohol, vanilla, dark chocoloate and bitter roasted coffee. Very complex and aromatic.

Taste initially is bitter chocolate and vanilla combined. The flavors enhance from there, coffee, toffee, bitter black coffee and chocolate liquer or Kahlua. As it continues to warm a lot of the Bourbon barrel flavors come out. This is a great sipping beer...

Very smooth drinking beer that half a bottle of was definitely plenty to enjoy. (647 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Sickpuppy at "Should I Drink That?"!

I'd be dying to try this beer for years and upon finally scoring some expected an orgasmic experience, and, as usual, my personal over-hype marred my experience somewhat. Guess that's my fault.

This was a great beer, no question, but it simply did not floor me as I had hoped. A kinda thin mouthfeel and not as bourbony as expected, or hoped.

Tastes of roasted coffee, vanilla, and chocolate malt. Silky smooth with not even a tad of boozy bite. Impressive! And thus incredibly drinkable for the hefty ABV.

I liked it the more I had it, but I still would have to put Bourbon County Stout and Black Ops ahead of it in the bourbon-barreled beer game.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com (727 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a three finger dark brown head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights. Light carbonation and heavy bodied. Sweet roasted coffee nose. Flavor is sweet roasted coffee, don't detect the bourbon barrel, high ABV is hidden, almost burnt coffee finish. Nice stout. Pricey at $6.95 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma. (372 characters)

2009 edition

pours black as midnight with a 1/4 finger tan head that leaves some spotted lacing

smells of big coffee and smokey bourbon little vanila and chocolate

taste is also big coffee bourbon woody vanilla and bitter chocolate - this beer is so much better with a few months on it - fresh the booze takes over and thats about it - i bet it will get even better by next year

mouthfeel is thick low carbonation - this beer is a sipper (one that could last all all night)

drinkability is great - sure one bottle is all i would want as complex as one bottle is - its a great way to finsish the night

also poured about 1/6 of the bottle into a glass with some ice cream and oh boy this beer works so well (710 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Pours dark black with no light penetrating the glass. A half inch head appeared after a hard pour. The head was a dark mocha color that did not stick around.

S - Roasted coffee beans up front. After that there is a sweet smell of bourbon mixed with vanilla.

T - The taste is where this beer really shines. There is a nice balance between the flavors. First is coffee. After the beer starts to warm up a bit the chocolate really becomes present. At the end you can taste the bourbon, but it is not really strong. I really enjoyed that the bourbon was not overwhelming. Alcohol is present, but hidden well.

M - Smooth and creamy as a milkshake.

D - Would love to drink more than one, but probably should not.

One of my favorite beers since getting into craft. (766 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

8oz pour at the brewpub, in a snifter. Arrives a placid jet black, pretty much no bubbles. Little lacing.

Nose is earthy, strong bourbon, roasty goodness, light sweetness.

This is the ultimate sipping beer. The flavors are complex and demanding. Peat, bourbon, vanilla, roasty malts, a dry hop finish. Warming alcohol in the back. Much more demanding than CBS which I had before and more rewarding. The dry finish helps it pair well with more options and it doesn't have that overwhelming sweetness. Smooth carbonation. (521 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

Wow - got this in a trade, fantastic beer.

A - Dark no light will show threw this.

S - Wonderful burnt coffee, dark chocolate, booze.

T - Unbelievable chocolate, hides the 11.2 abv very well

M - Smooth, frothy but at the same time chocolately, numbs the taste buds in a good way.

D - Better than good less than exceptional as if you drank this one it might be very hard to drink another. (392 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%

A: The color of ebony, only a hint of light passes through at the edge of the glass, lots of sticky foam on the glass, noticeable body - 4.75, S: One whiff and I'm in sensory overload, whiskey in upfront but not overpowering, loads of vanilla and chocolate, coffee is also present, some minor signs of charring - 5.00, T: A massive palate, lots of chocolates malts and even more espresso, some pureed burnt raisins, though there are hops they are overpowered by the huge malt base, like the nose there is a solid presence of vanilla, one tasty beer - 4.50, M: Thick and silky, lingers on the tongue - 5.00, D: One of the most impressive beers I've had to date, a true gem, but as I say that I will concede that I still think Goose Island's Bourbon Brand County Stout edges it out, as a side not the beer is now labeled 'KBS' instead of Kentucky Bourbon Stout - 4.50 (865 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company