Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,158
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,746 | Hads: 10,481
4.35/5  rDev -4.4%

Color: pours very dark brown. not the darkest ive seen. sits black with a small brown rim. fluffy milk chocolate head

Smell: lots of coffee with some chocolate. mild alcohol presence

Taste: lots of roast/coffee with chocolate. just a hint of bourbon, otherwise just taken for straight ethyl. chocolatey roasted finish with a drop of bourbon

Mouthfeel: full body. very smooth. moderate carbonation. booze and bitterness really tingles the tongue

Notes: delicious, powerful stout. pretty intense booziness but not too distracting. great beer, but the mystique lay in its limited availability (593 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

WOW! This is a tasty mothafucka!

If you have ever drained the transfer case on a thirty year old pickup truck, then you know how this one looks. Thick, viscous, 65w oil.

Smells like heaven. Coffee, coffee, bourbon, coffee, dark fruit, coffee, roasted malt, coffe, dark chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of coffee. From the time I cracked the cap on this bottle, the smell hit my nose. Wonderfully pungent and overpowering!

Generally, I am not a fan of the bourbon barrel aged beers. With the KBS, that huge coffee flavor balances the bourbon perfectly. It is oh-so-smooth! Again, I say, "that's a tasty mothafucka!"

For a beer that poured so thick, it seems just a tiny bit thin. Not thin in comparison with a normal stout, but thin for such a highly touted brew. It's big in the mouth, but I always want just a little more...

As for drinkability, the high abv, price, and availability keep this from being a 5. I could actually drink this all day, every day, if I had the money and founders had the production. (1,014 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -0.7%

ah, the hype... the difficulty finding it... the limits on buying it... regardless i was looking forward to this one. founder's really does good things with bourbon barrels.

the hilarious olde-time label certainly makes for a nice bottle (and a twisty top, always forget that). poured into a tulip aggressively yielding a deep brown, one-ish finger head that dissipated after a few minutes. the obsidian liquid lets no light through. a small ring of foam remains around the edges, not much lacing but littles suds do stick to the glass.

wow. after just opening the bottle and taking a sniff, i knew this was indeed something good. chocolate... coffee... vanilla... roasty malts... and just the hint of booziness. i like.

ok, this what mattered the most and always does. i was throughly impressed. the mixture of flavors is really really well done! up front is the rich chocolatey goodness... followed roasty malt, coffee bitterness... and then shifts to a slightly sweet vanilla - bourbon flavor. goddamn dessert in a bottle.

a thick and rich mouthfeel, full bodied and no mistaking it. the slight prickles of carbonation help keep it from becoming an oil slick.

11.2%? oh, i can feel it. but the presentation combined with the aromas and flavors makes this one drinkable. must remember to sip. i want more.

a really superb beer. (1,335 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -15.4%

I hate to knock this beer, but I'm going to. Starts out fine, a good looking stout and smells great - dense malt and overtones of the mentioned coffee and vanilla, as well as the bourbon. The taste is where it goes south, sadly. I found this beer to be cloyingly sweet. I dig the bourbon barrel aged flavor but the vanilla is just too much. It tastes artificial to me, and that I don't like. I love Founders so I was disappointed not to like this beer. It would be better served as a desert beer or even like a beer ice cream float. I love stouts but this one does not hit the mark for me. So if you're getting ready to trade away treasures from your cellar for this one, be warmed - it may be your thing, but it is very very sweet, to a fault in my own opinion.

Note: so after the initial tasting, I sat on a couple 4 packs and tried another last night, wondering if a bit of the vanilla had mellowed out. I'm glad I did. Not nearly as cloying as I remember, and after only a few months of aging, the vanilla has mellowed out and blended with the bourbon. Much more balance and harmony. Still, this is on the sweeter side for a stout but much improved over the super fresh version. My advice would be to stick this right in the cellar when you buy it and age for maybe 6 months or even a year if you are patient before you try it. For what it's worth... (1,355 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%

In a snifter:

I got an overpour, but clearly the head was thick - I have a solid blanket of chocolatey head on top. Jet black body, no light gets through. Tons bitter chocolate aromas, with some coffee, and bourbon as well. Tastes unbelievable: there's a perfect maltiness to balance heavy coffee bitter, followed by a wonderful bourbon aftertaste. It's thick and velvety as well, with perfect carbonation I could drink so much of this. The only thing that diminishes drinkability in my mind is it's ABV.

Overall: I enjoyed this so much more on tap than I did from a bottle. This is a truly unique and delicious AIS. (618 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -0.2%

"The Amazing Kosmicki's Highly Acclaimed KBS" with the antithetical snake oil pitch on the label; stubby with a twist-off top; my Tyler's Speakeasy shaker pint glass; yadda, yadda... let's turn the hype up on this brew with one more review notch...

Presented lightly chilled and served in the aforementioned pint-sized vessel, Founders KBS is glossy patent leather black in body with a melted chocolate milkshake colored cap of creamy foam atop. The topping fades to a thin skim with large bubbles at the collar, and leaves freckles of lacing scattered about the glass.

Invisible tendrils of Bourbon and vanilla reach out to me from the shimmering blackness, the notes potent even at an arm's length, alerting my nose that something wonderful is about to happen. The edible aromas are etched with cool, crisp notes of oak, potent and winey French roasted coffee beans, and the drink's overall profile of sweetness is augmented further with a sprinkle of warm caramel and a dusty blast of dark chocolate truffles.

The taste is rich and mocha-like with a splash of premium Bourbon, the overall profile reminiscent of dark semisweet chocolate truffles, espresso crema, spicy molasses, fudge brownies with creamy coffee, charred caramel, more vanilla-- all topped off with a hefty drop or two of Wild Turkey in the chaser position. Mild burnt-grain, smoky bitterness and cooling, cleansing alcohol do very well to knock the sugar factor down, allowing the drink to finish at a near-perfect balance of sweet, earthy, tangy, and savory.

KBS is creamy-firm and full-bodied with mild carbonation and plenty of belly-warming booze. It's a wonderful sipper and a truly magnificent beer, but ho-hum-- I'm no longer suprised by anything Founders puts out-- it's all f*cking magnificent and thus it's nearly boring as all hell to keep stroking their egos... stroke, stroke, stroke.... ;) (1,878 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a 13 oz snifter at Sunset Bar and Grill, this beer was dark as night with a small light brown head that sat atop. I should mention that the beer was served much colder than suggested and I drank slowly and warmed the beer with my hands.
Smells of Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and coffee.
A chocolate taste is first to come to prominence which then gives way to the bourbon, vanilla and coffee character. This beer finishes with a very pleasant maple syrup character.
Low carbonation which is expected with a slow sipper such as this. A rich creamy thick mouthfeel makes up the body of this beer.
A fantastic beer which I wish was easier to get a hold of. I will drink this at any opportunity in which it presents itself. (731 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -12.5%

Thank you WakeandBake for a chance to try this highly sought after beer!

A - This beer looks beautiful. A dark stout poured nicely into my Founders Pint Glass, with a nice retaining half inch tan head.

S - I smell roasts and chocolate, not overpowering either.

T - The taste is strong. It has a rough barrel taste from the aging. Then, a hint of bourbon. After that, comes the coffee and chocolate flavors to finish it off.

M - Very low carbonation, I was hoping for more carbonation, on par of the Breakfast stout, and it is not here. This is the least pleasing part of this beer.

D - I cannot see myself wanting to drink this in rapid succession. It is not the easiest beer to drink on it's own either. Another aspect that is lowering of its score.

Overall - this is a unique and complext beer. I will keep sipping on it as it warms up, and it is a very good beer. (873 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -2.4%

I am very excited to try this beer. Will it live up to the hype?

This pours very much like a cup of espresso into my snifter. The color of black coffee. No head at first, but with a vigorous swirl it slowly builds into about a quarter inch, then is gone, leaving just a thin layer floating on top. Bits of lace typical of an 11.2% beer cling to the sides.

The aroma is very interesting. Imagine a cup of black coffee with just a hint of Jim Beam lurking in the background. Some vanilla and a bit of milk chocolate round out the experience. It what I expected, but better. The bourbon notes don't overwhelm the senses, but compliment the other aromas.

The first flavor that hits the palate is a biting alcohol. It quickly gives way to full bodied coffee, then a slightly vanilla flavor. Quite a multi-dimensional feel. Many layers of flavor here. A chocolate flavor appears after swallowing the beer. Interesting how it hid out in the background then snuck up on my palate. This reminds me of a chocolate pecan pie made with bourbon.

The mouthfeel is wonderful. It is silky smooth. The oats give a very soft texture. Thick and chewy, yet light bodied at the same time. It leaves the palate quickly, but a luxurious coffee and chocolate flavor remain. Eventually, a slightly dry sensation takes over.

Overall, this is a fascinating beer. There are so many dimensions to the flavors and smells. Bourbon stouts are not my favorite style, however this is exceptionally done. It is quite expensive at about $5 a bottle, but I am glad I have tried this. (1,552 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured side by side with a Breakfast Stout

Appearance: Pours black as night and thick as molasses. Almost no head, and what tiny amount there is, is much darker than the breakfast stout.

Smell: Heavenly, much more complex than the BS, there is the overwhelming coffee/espresso but now there is a smokey, earthy and plenty of bourbony smell, and maybe a bit of hops as well.

Taste: Okay wasn't expecting this at all, the vanilla and smoke hits hard up front. Slightly after is the espresso/chocolate pounding, and finally a blast of straight bourbon. This may just be as complex a brew as Ive ever had. Also as somewhat assumed, this brew is way sweeter than it's not kentucky friend, but bourbon has a knack for doing that.

Mouthfeel: Thick/jetfuel etc.

Drinkability: That flavor is so huge and complex I almost need to drink two to wrap my head around it. But it is just like drinking a mornings breakfast in a glass.

Notes: And I thought the BS was amazing, I had no idea a concoction like this existed. Do yourself a favor....Get yourself some KBS!!! (1,059 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -7%

Got this bottle at flying saucer in charlotte.
Poured the most syrupy dark black I've seen in a beer.
Smell was full of coffee and vanilla, not much else but what was there was overwhelming.
Taste is fantastic!! Full of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Lots of bourbon on the finish.
I LOVED this beer, not much if any hop profile but extreme on the malt taste! (360 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz bottle served into a snifter. This beer pours motor oil black with a very nice chocolate head. The aroma consists of coffee, bourbon, dark fruit and oak. The flavor follows the smell. The initial taste is bourbon and then it is followed with coffee and chocolate. The carbonation is just right and not overpowering. This beer is fantastic and deserves all the praise it gets. This is a must get for anyone. (412 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I got to try this beer thanks to my friend Sam. He nabbed a couple four packs and was so nice as to share one with me. The first thing I do whenever I am trying a new beer is smell it, and try to get a sense of what its all about. Wow, this beer smells great. Chocolaty tones and dark roasted malt as well as just a touch of coffee.

When I drank this beer it did not disappoint. All of the flavors were there. As the beer warmed up in my glass, it really allowed the flavors to mellow out and the overall experience changed.

I highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes a big stout. (590 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +0.4%

UPDATE: Recently had this side by side with normal Breakfast Stout. From my notes:

A: Black w/ brown head lasting about a minute. Falls into swirls on top with ring around glass. 4.7

S: Bourbon/chocolate/coffee equally, none dominates the other. 4.7

T: Bourbon is front and center, almost no coffee taste. A little salty when cold. Milk chocolate as it warms and bourbon lessens after a while. 4.7

M: Silky smooth. Doesn't get much better. 4.7

D: Not too hot but the bourbon is still pretty overpowering to drink much. 4

---
I finally nabbed myself this fine beer from Party Source in Bellvue which luckily just started carrying some Founder's brews. I've been loving coffee stouts lately and have looked forward to this. At $7.50 a bottle I hope the beer's worthit; here goes nothing:

A: Poured black and viscous into my Maudite snifter. Nice tan head that dissipated very quickly into a ring that leaves some lacing. No light's getting through this one.

S: Straight up coffee at first. Can't really tell what else is in there but I love it. One of the best-smelling beers I've had yet.

T: Mostly coffee and bourbon, as expected. There's some chocolate and roasty/malty taste followed by a bit of hotness from the 11.2%, but not enough to detract from the experience.

M: This feel pretty thick and coats the mouth well. Even after it goes down the taste lingers around the mouth for a while. The bourbon leaves a bit of a burning sensation around the perimeter of my mouth... not a fan of that.

D: KBS is gonna lose some points here. Don't get me wrong, it tastes great. But the price/availability/abv are going to prevent me from having more than one of these at a time. (1,683 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I found this brew in my local beer store...

Appearance: Pours a deep black with a slight amount of head that fades quickly. Does leave some nice lacing.

Smell: Wow...picking up chocolate and coffee and just a hint of bourbon. Smells phenomenal!

Taste: The taste is unbelievable! Very smooth, the coffee and chocolate is very apparent, but not overwhelming. I was expecting a bit more snap towards the end, but nothing but sweet smooth goodness.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, not too thin...it's smooth and creamy. Perfection.

Drinkability: Complexity is the key word here. This beer gets better with every sip, I wish it wouldn't end. Oh, I just remembered...I have another bottle... (700 characters)

Presentation: Poured form a stubby 12 oz brown bottle with a twist off cap into a Duvel tulip. Label is designed to look like an old medicine bottle and no longer says "Kentucky" on it. No freshness date. Neck label lists 70 IBU's and 11.2 ABV.

Appearance: Pours with the thinnest of heads, barely full coverage. This dark brown foam dissipates very quickly, leaving a few randomly disbursed islands of foam and a ring around the glass. The beer itself is black and completely opaque; looks like used motor oil. Some sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong notes of coffee and roasted barley. Hints of vanilla. Bourbon smell is noticeably absent.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront, not of hops, but like coffee and dark roasted barley. Slight milky chocolate in the middle. Very boozy in the finish; mild alcohol sweetness with hints of anise.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level, perfect for the style. Enough to deliver the flavors of this thick stout, but not too high. Body is very good.

Drinkability: A complex and tasty stout. The bourbon is very hidden in this one, which is fine by me. I enjoy the flavors of oak and bourbon: vanilla, cherry, etc., but not the overly alcoholic taste. This one has a bite in the finish form its higher ABV, but not too bad. I imagine that would fade with time. (1,315 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Pours a deep glossy black color with a very small, but lingering head. Nice mocha colored lacing.

S - Smells of roasted malts and dark chocolate that turns more toward warming bourbon.

T - Stong roasted coffee/espresso that work with dark chocolate flavors, and settles into bourbon and subtle caramel. Flavors and intensity quickly varying. Sherry notes at first that disappear as the mouth becomes coated. Lingering roast and burnt chocolate w/ oak becoming more noticeable.

M - Very smooth and creamy body that coats the mouth thoroughly. A nice alcohol warmth that fades as the tongue becomes intoxicated.

D - Very complex beer that grows with each taste. A fine way to end the week. Darius75 has is right...A true gentleman's stout. Very glad to taste my first KBS. (779 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured a deep black color in my Sam Adams glass. Minimal head despite a hard pour with a little lacing donw the glass.
Smelled of coffee, chocolate and oak. Taste was similar but more rich. Through the coffee, chocolate and oak there was a hnit of the bourbon as well, making this very deep in flavors. Mouthfeel was very thick and rich. I almost wanted to chew it. Very impressive. Drinkability, in terms of drinking more than one is not good, as this is an ABV monster that quickly went to my head, despite it's deliciousness. This one is best as a nightcap, or with dessert, not as a session drink. (601 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle at room temperature, poured into an 8 oz. wine goblet.

A: Black as the devil in the center, lightening to a caramel brown at the edges. Thin, light golden head dissipates fast. I can see the rim of the glass reflected almost perfectly on the surface of the beer. It's like an oil slick on the surface of a magical wishing well. Little islands of foam creep down the sides of the glass.

S: The nose is rich, but not acrid or too insistent. Deep, rich chocolate aromas are the most pronounced, teased forward by hints of coffee and bourbon. This stout smells like a high-class chocolate bar dipped in hard liquor, or a rum-filled truffle dipped in coffee, or a beautiful woman holding a glass of bourbon dipped in high-class melted chocolate. Somewhere between those three.

T: Chewy chocolate and understated coffee flavors predominate for about a second, segueing into a powerful wash of bourbon. The round, tasty bourbon flavor is mellow at first, mediated by the coffee and chocolate. The tail end of the taste proffers hard liquor's delicious sting without numbing the palate, because it's softened by the chocolate warmth that came before. The aftertaste is mostly coffee and bourbon, without the stickiness that makes too-sweet beers difficult to drink. The more I drink, the more I notice the presence of all the flavors throughout each sip.

M: Round, smooth, thick like a dessert liqueur. The pleasant warmth and creaminess linger between sips. The moderate carbonation is not noticeable with all these dapper yet rugged flavors riding into town.

D: This is an incredibly well-balanced brew that goes down easy, unlike flavored stouts (coffee, chocolate, bourbon, or straight-up oak) in which the specialty flavor dominates too fiercely. This is a true gentleman's brew. If only they released it more than once a year. (1,843 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours an inky black with no head save for a thin cinnamon lace.

S - Smells of roasted grain and dark chocolate. Much more subtle on the coffee than Breakfast Stout. Further sniffs reveal an oaky vanilla note. Bourbon remains pretty well hidden at first, but shows itself as the beer warms.

T - Coffee, chocolate, and vanilla all carry over into the palate, with Bourbon now coming into play as well. The whiskey, although obvious, is very well in balance with the rest of the beer. As the beer warms, the flavors grow more complex, with molasses, raisins, and figs. Hop bitterness builds and really comes through in the long finish.

M - Smooth and viscous, with a warming sensation on the tongue and in the throat.

D - A pleasure from start to finish. I enjoyed this even more than Breakfast Stout - I think the component flavors are much better integrated here. Definitely a beer that lives up to the hype. (949 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

G: Oversized snifter.

A: Pours very, very dark and thick with a single-finger caramel-colored head, which has plenty of carbonation and air bubbles. Head recedes quickly; nice lacing.

S: Coffee and dark chocolate. A little bit of hops. Bourbon presence with a little bit of alcohol.

T: Burnt espresso to go with the bourbon; lots of malt and a little bit of hops to go along with the alcohol. Chocolate and creamy flavors linger after the beer goes down. Hints of caramel and vanilla as well. Incredibly complex--each sip brings something new.

M: Incredibly smooth. Unbelievably sooth and medium-bodied in the mouth, with the perfect amount of carbonation and a striking alcohol presence, which is not overpowering. Simply lovely.

D: Very drinkable for the style and ABV. It's a shame I was only able to pick up two bottles--hopefully I can scrounge some more up somewhere else. (884 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +1.5%

Was lucky enough to find this beer in Northern Massachusetts...I had almost given up hope.

A - Black. Very black. Quickly dissipating light brown head and leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S - Smells of burnt wood with coffee notes and something sweet that I can't quite put my finger on...I'm guessing vanilla.

T - Outta sight, my man! Lives up to the hype for sure! The coffee punch of the regular breakfast stout almost punches through but is stifled by the sweet woody bourbon flavor with vanilla highlights. The bourbon wood flavor lingers on the tongue long after sipping. I feel the flavor on every inch of my tongue. So. well. balanced.

M - Thick'n creamy. I love this beer in my mouth.

D - There is so much flavor in this beer that you have to drink it slowly and having more than one would be difficult. Definitely burns from the alcohol, but I've always liked that in my booze.

My tongue just took a KBS bath and now feels like a million bucks. This beer has so much flavor I think I'll still be tasting this beer in a week. (1,051 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout is black, real black.

Smells of wood, charred paper, and burnt coffee. Deep chocolate melds with bourbon creating a real treat on the snoot.

Tastes reminiscent of Breakfast Stout, but with a boozy bourbon background and a dollop of vanilla. Burn evident as beer warms, but deiselness noticed more in the warmth that spreads through the body than the actual taste. (401 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +4%

Black coffee with a thick finger of badass dark foam. The nose is roasted coffee, oak, vanilla and bourbon with chocolate malt. The taste mirrors the smell but with the bourbon coming more to the forefront. Rich and chocolatey flavors blend perfectly with bittering hops. Big and viscous it pours like motor oil and coats the mouth. The complexity grows with each sip. A world class beer, one of the best. (405 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

EDIT::
So when I first reviewed this I don't think my palate was ready for this great of a beer. This current bottle is from 2/15/10 so it's just about 6 months old. IMO this is a perfect time to bust the cap on this one. The burn has mellowed a bit but there's enough there to keep me happy. This is world class. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk. I want to pop another one but I know I'll regret it.

With all the hype surrounding this beer, when i saw it at Capones i figured i better get one or i might not see it again for a while.
I'm hoping this lives up to its legendary reputation. It's not often i splurge and spend $9.50 for a 12oz. bottle.

This is from 2009. The bottle is different then the one currently pictured as the newer one says KBS instead of Kentucky Breakfast Stout.
Also, its listed at 11.2%abv. as apposed to 10%.

I'm drinking this one a few degrees below room temp.

Pours black as night. Silky, with the texture of used motor oil.
A Thin layer of tan head with little to no lacing.

The first scent i get is of rubbing alcohol. After a few more breaths i can smell some chocolate and burnt coffee along with the alcohol smell.

First sip is suprising smooth. After my second and third sip the bouquet of flavors are noticable.
Chocolate, coffee, and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is warm. Almost no carbonation is noticable.
Finishes smoothly with a nice warmth of alcohol.

This is in fact one of the best stouts i've tasted and i'm glad i got to sample one. (1,477 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company