Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,135
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,390 | Reviews: 2,861
4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this both on draft at the Founder's Brew Pub at the release party and picked up my alloted 2 cases while there. If you are a big bourbon stout fan this one's for you. This is a totally different beer than the regular breakfast stout from Founder's ( one of my favorite craft brewer's). Bourbon is very present both in the nose and taste with a heavy coffee taste mixed in as well. Just go ahead and throw a shot of bourbon in a cup of day old cold coffee and you get the picture! I personally like the regular Breakfast Stout from Founder's better but that's my personal taste. Try them both and make up your own mind ..Thy are both worth seeking out!

4.77/5  rDev +3.2%

Wow...Pours a pitch black with a small tan head. The head died quicklt, probably due to the extras the beer has added to it. Aroma of chocolate predominate with boubon, coffee, vanilla, and roasted malt. Taste is simply mana from heaven. A nice coffee and bourbon flavor, some chocolate, vanilla and barrel aged oak. A very complex beer, sweet up front with linering roasted barley bitterness. Not totally balanced but so wonderful nonetheless. A very big wonderful oak barrel aged stout.

4.32/5  rDev -6.5%

Recieved this from Ron at Vintage Estates on my last trip to Youngstown ohio. Poured into a taster glass pours a nice pitch black with minimal head. The smell is jumping off the charts dark chocolate, cocoa, espresso, strong brewed coffee, simply amazing smells coming from this beer. Taste is just as good as the smell, I can pick up a nice roasted nut flavor with a chocolate velvet flavor then with an aftertaste of coffee grounds with oatmeal. I could drink this stuff in my cereal it is that good for a mornng bevereage, who needs coffee when you have this giant.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours very dark rich chocolate brown almost black. Slight head dark tan in color. Good lacing

Heavy bourbon on the nose. Roasted coffee aroma backs it up quite nicely.

Flavor is deep rich and complex. Many strong flavor at work here but mix well. Bourbon coffee and chocolate flavors are noticable right away. Vanilla flavors reveal itself the more you enjoy this brew. Slightly sweet chocolate flavor more noticable on the back end.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Not very carbonated but this is not a brew that needs it, carbonation suits well. Slightly oily feel on the tongue.

Very drinkable, dangerously so. Way too enjoyable of a brew.

***Upon further review, this beer is ridiculously good. Kalamazoo please forgive me but my favorite stout is not brewed by Bell's. I swear it is so good I would at least consider naming my first born KBS.

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

My 100th review, (FINALLY)!!!

Thanks to ajsdad06 for the trade & newtony for giving me the opportunity to try this beer!

Per ajsdad06, this is an '07 Vintage. 12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

A: Pours a thick, opaque, super dark brown/black beer with a rich and creamy dark tan head when agitated. Average size bubbles with lacing climbing up the walls. Slight ring of brown suds remain after the beer relaxes. This is one serious looking stout.

S: Rich, chocolates and bourbon. Espresso or French roast coffee. Slight sniff of dark, cherry sweets - delightful.

Taste: Rich and flavorful mix of fresh coffees, dark and bitter chocolate swirls, heavily toasted malts, caramel. A Starbucks delivery truck just collided with a Jim Beam truck! Little to no bitterness, likely because of the calming effect (buffering) of the oatmeal, expect what's given off from the heavily roasted coffee beans. Aftertaste of more and more coffee beans. Flavor lingers in my mouth for some time. Just the right amount of bourbon seeping through. Very enjoyable, sip and savor this one.

M: Medium to heavy bodied, creamy and sticks to the back of my throat. Low levels of carbonation. It's like drinking a chilled liqueur.

D: Very nice, extremely well-balanced stout. This is an amazingly-crafted brew, wish it wasn't so hard to get. Frankly, it surprises me this is defined as an imperial stout (and not a Russian Imperial Stout). Glad I had the opportunity to try this one.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to Goliath for this one..
poured into an ommegang tulip

A - pours a near pitch black color and quickly engulfs the glass with nothing but darkness and a cappuccino colored head that quickly dissipates into a thin covering with some clinging to the sides of the glass

S - aromas of bourbon and oak are in the foreground followed by a nice blend of coffee beans that all together seems perfectly balanced. The nose on this thing alone is a master piece; with this much complexity it would seem easy to muck this beer up, but founders pulls it off beautifully..

T - the taste follows suit with the aroma perfectly and everything you would expect from the smell is there in the taste. Deep and very complex, outstanding. lots of vanilla and maltiness along with some bourbon flavors that just go deeper and deeper. I have a feeling that after a bit more warming of this beer I could come back and write a whole nother review. what a fantastic beer..the flavors linger and linger; outstanding

M - ow carbonation and the body is very pleasing for all the flavors not too heavy but not too thin either. Enough mouthfeel for this beer to hang on well after each sip..

D - I try not to read too much into hyped beers, but this one is well deserving of any recognition it receives. This beer is utterly unbelievable in its complexity; where do I order cases of this stuff???yeah right we all wish..

4.85/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to Goliath for the chance to try this beer:
A - Pours an opaque black with a perfect two finger mocha head that dissipated to a light film. Lacing was immaculate, completely coating the side of the glass and did not let go.

S - Brunt coffee, dark chocolates, sweet molasses, vanilla, and bourbon. Although the scent is super busy, it is really well balanced.

T - Heavy bourbon and burnt coffee. Subtle chocolates and molasses brings the flavor together.

M - Chewy mouthfeel with a low, but appropriate carbonation. Alcohol burn is present, but works to compliment the bourbon nature.

D - One of the best beers I have had. Good complexity and balance. Alcohol content makes it a little hard to have too many, but who cares.

4.42/5  rDev -4.3%

200th review - Received as an extra from iceicebaby (thanks again Sean). Served in my DFH snifter. Poured a dark, opaque brown. Quarter-inch tan-colored head subsided into a slick of foam with a solid ring around the shoulders. Jagged peaks and valleys of lacing, but adherence is somewhat spotty. Smell is decadent. Lots of coffee and molasses up front with a warm bourbon quality in the background. Dark fruit is revealed as the snifter warmed in my hand. Flavors offer a nice and balanced blend of the qualities presented in the nose. Coffee is roasty without tasting burnt or astringent. Cocoa flavors are detected as well. Bourbon character is complementary rather than over-assertive. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and silky up front; not at all viscous. A little chalky, but not unpleasantly so. Alcohol is fairly well-hidden and quite drinkable. A great brew to celebrate my 200th review.

4.37/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a dark dark brown with moderate tan head. Smells strongly of tobacco, bourbon, coffee, chocolate. Tastes as it smells--hard to describe what tobacco tastes like, but mix that with some bourbon, coffee, chocolate, molasses, malt, and I don't know what else, and you've got this beer. Not one you'd drink a lot of, this is more of a sipping beer, but it's a truly great one.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a thick solid black with a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the coffee as would be expected. I also get some chocolate, tobacco, ash, and dried fruits. Complex aroma really, but heavy coffee. Taste hits with roast then chocolate, and then comes the coffee on the attack. Finish with some vanilla, and some bourbon that is oh so subtle. Awesome complexity!! Creamy full bodied mouthfeel. Excellant brew, I wish it was more available! Another well done brew from founders.

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

That is one hell of an aroma. Beautiful rich espresso riding on luscious dark chocolate. Hints of dark fruits hide in the background. Taste the beer? But I'm having so much fun smelling it..

Well, that taste lives up to the hype. That same decadent espresso wrapped in dark chocolate hits you up front. The coffee, thankfully, never gets to be bitter or astringent as can happen with coffee beers. Tasty, funky dark fruits play a much stronger role in the taste. Alcohol is present but not unwelcome. Slightly bitter hoppy finish.

After getting used to the flavors a bit more, I am slightly less impressed. Still very good, but some of the flavors clash just slightly.

Mouthfeel is overall quite good.

Drinkability is very good.

Highly recommended. Definitely one of the better imperial stouts out there.

4.66/5  rDev +0.9%

Black as old motor oil with a dark mocha head that disappears as fast as it is poured.

Smell is a heavy hit of bourbon, coffee, and bittersweat chocolate. Each of these alone would be overpowering on thier own, but balanced with each other they blend in some super group harmony like none other.

Taste is just plain intense. The very definintion of Imperial. Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, and dark roasted malt bring a flavor that I can only sip. Very powerful, but very good. Alcohol is there, but it is not a factor in the drinkablity. The flavors are just so strong that you would be a fool to take more than a tounge coating. Thick and viscois, but not sticky. The flavors just soak in on the palate.

This is a one and done treat. I am glad his does not come in a bomber because it be to hard to drink in one sitting. Excellent beer that brings a world class flavor. I'm not going to say this is my favorite beer, but it is a pleasure to drink.

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%

Got a couple of these in various trades.

As I start to pour it I am shocked at how black it is. One if the darkest brews I have seen. No head at all so I pour slightly harder and still nothing.

Smell is amazing. Straight strong burbon and bitter chocolate with alot of charred wood. It smells amazing.

Wow. Awesome taste. Tastes just as it smells. The oak woody flavour is strong with the chocolate and burbon as well. Some vanilla notes as well. You can barely taste the alcohol but after a few sips it warms you chest up alot.

Mouthfeel is great. Smooth and crisp at the end with the wood dominating.

This beer is intense and I can finish a whole one for sure but another right after? I think not...

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Founders KBS is completely impenetrable by light, even when held directly up to the source. The body is midnight black. Unlike the regular Breakfast Stout, which has a clear brown hue on its edges, this has a distinct maroon tinge. No head and only a slim lining along its outer rim.

The aroma is no one thing; elements of bourbon, chocolate, oak, and coffee are all seamlessly blended together. It smells like charred/roasted wood with accompanying hints of dark chocolate truffles, bitter cocoa, and freshly crushed coffee beans.

The oak is ever present in the mouthfeel - incredibly so - evoking a true sensation of wood on palate. You not only taste, but even more so feel, as much (if not more) oak as you do bourbon. It is quite drying on the palate.

Not to say the bourbon isn't present - oh, it is - and you are reminded with each sip, and also for a long, soothing period after each sip. The bourbon might seem initially faint in taste, but compounds, by the second, until eventually it is resounding through the mouth and crawling through every part of the palate.

With it, of course, comes the taste of bourbon, which lends just a pinch of vanilla to compete alongside flavours of heavily roasted malts, burnt caramel, bitter coffee beans, and dark, dark, (really, really dark) chocolate.

The alcohol in this one is sneaky - you know it's there somewhere but it never lets itself be known. Make no mistake - the drink is strong. But while at times I felt it raising my eyebrows, or opening my nostrils, and certainly, by the end, slowing my blood rate and lightening my head, I never could catch it in the act.

In all honesty, I found this a little raw and certainly a little stiff, but I won't argue about it - this beer is certainly one for the senses! As any caricatured French chef would smack their lips, extend their fingers and proudly proclaim: magnifique! ..

I owe a big thanks to a great pal, SkinnyElvis, for this taste of Blue Grass Breakfast!

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

A : Pours a dark brown/black with a thin tan head that sticks around for a while. Good lacing left on the glass

S : Roasted malts, some bourbon, some vanilla

T : Strong coffee flavor with notes of chocolate, bourbon, and oak. The flavors go together really well and it's really balanced.

M : Thick and creamy

D : Not sure if I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a time but I would come back to this beer any chance I get.

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from bottle into glass beer mug at about 55F. Stouts deserved to be served at around room to cellar temp (55-65) for best effect.

Appearance - Dark Chocolate Brown, nearly black, with light but full carbonation, a creamy 1 finger tan head that lasts several minutes. I want to drink this before the head settles.

Smell - Smokey roasty malts, sweet chocolaty, and caramelly. I want to drink this immediately!

Taste - DARK CHOCOLATE! This is like drinking a candy bar. Not a lot of complexity here, overpowering chocolate with a strong backup of bourbon. can totally taste the 10% ABV, but it's subdued, mellow and not overpowering, probably owing to the bourbon flavoring. A little bit of a smokey finish which is very nice and makes me want to immediately take another swig. I absolutely LOVE dark chocolate, this instantly became one of my favorite beers ever.

Mouthfeel - A nice heavy, but smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is just right and the immense flavor is intensified with a little time in the mouth. I love stouts and this is right up there with the best of them.

Drinkability - I could drink a 4-pack of these, if the 10% alcohol content didn't knock me unconscious first. This stuff not only tastes great but it packs a wallop. I can see why those who can obtain it not only hoarde it, but are only willing to trade limited quanities. I managed to get four through TWO trades, but I already want more.

Verdict - If you like stout, and/or you like dark chocolate, don't waste any time seeking this out. This is an amazing beer, a classic.
I would put this above Abyss, and even above Speedway in my tastings. Though Abyss should age the best and Speedway would be enjoyed more by those who prefer coffee to chocolate. I am still awaiting specimens of DL, Darkness and KtG.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

acquired in trade from akorsak, thanks man.

A- Pour was a very thick black stream of goodness. The semi aggressive pour developed a nice two finger head with lacing that seemed to go from light to dark tan the closer it got to the beer. A nice slick of head remained to grace the top of the beer.

S- The smell of bourbon is very there. The sweet vanilla sent as well as nice oaky earthy smell. Almost like a dusty wood shop.

T- The smell is sweet, yet there is a nice bitterness. The aftertaste is a bit on the dry side, which is good it makes me want more. The presence of the 10% abv is there the entire way down. The alcohol seems to play peek-a-boo with the taste buds.

M- Nice smooth and easy to drink. It is very tasty.

D- Easy to drink, almost too easy. I'm getting a nice buzz while drinking it. Very delish.

3.87/5  rDev -16.2%

Big shout out to "Med" for sending me this bottle. Blacker than your average imperial stout - barely any light at the edges. There was a minimal tan head, perhaps due to its age (I am uncertain of its age) because I am sure my brandy snifter is "beer clean." The aroma is utterly beguiling. An amazing balance of coffee, vanilla, cocoa, milk duds, bourbon and that decades of candy and soda smell from old 7-11's, Highs, or the candy aisle in an old drug store. Also a hint of suburban decaying strip-mall hair/ nail salon with the chocolate/ candy store next door from the 80's. All in balance. I have been sitting here for ten minutes just smelling the damn thing. Flavor is all of the above with the addition of a High's blue Slushie and boozy alcohol. The bourbon/vanilla/ chocolate factor is very forward, and I'm afraid the strong alcohol presence lifts the flavors up a little out of balance and becomes somewhat harsh. Full body with a hot boozy and acidic finish that brings back some bourbon and vanilla notes. Objectively I will say that this is a must have for imperial/ coffee stout fans, though on drinkability I must go low, because I am not going to finish this thing. But damn its good to finally have one.

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip with an almost two-finger thick, cocoa stained, dark tan colored head. The beer is a thick black color that shows no light through it. Ample roasted grain notes of black coffee and charcoal are joined by a sort of chalky note that is almost musty (though not quite). Dark chocolate aromas couple with a rich nuttiness and a solid toasted bread crust note are found just behind the huge coffee character that even provides a touch of tartness to the aroma. Despite being such a huge stout, this actually seems to be dominated by the coffee aromatics, though it is offset at times by the nice chocolate aromatics. I don't really get much in the way of Bourbon character in the aroma, which is actually a promising sign for me.

Thick and chewy up front, yet with such a huge roast malt and coffee character that it never becomes overly sweet. The beer finishes with a hit of Bourbon barrel flavors that provide a touch of vanilla and a deep buttery note that lingers for quite some time in the finish. Up front rich chocolate notes are quite noticeable (providing some balance to the roast character), these notes stick around some times through to the finish, where the Bourbon dominates, and are joined by a deep, toasted, nutty flavor. After the first sip, that initial wave of strong Bourbon notes seems to die down some; likely my palate just got used to it, but it becomes much more in balance with the rest of the beer. This definitely has a touch of tartness to it that is a result of both the ample burnt / roast notes (both coffee and grain) as well as some of the Bourbon influence. The finish also has a touch of hot Bourbon alcohol to it that is noticeable more as an aromatic oral nasal thing, but definitely makes me feel like I am exhaling alcohol.

At times a certain fruit character is noticeable that makes me think of sour prunes, figs and raisins; all of which have been left under the broiler to develop a bit of char. As the beer warms up and loses a bit of carbonation it becomes much more creamy textured and smooth, it also becomes much more mocha / chocolate flavored than it was previously, almost richly so.

I am not sure if my nose is not quite working tonight or what, but I am quite surprised how little of the Bourbon barrel influence is noticeable in the aroma. In the end the balance between roast character and smooth chocolate become really nice, the Bourbon barrel seems to meld into the background such that it supplies a nice complexity; so definitely serves this more towards 59°F / 15°C to get the best flavor balance. Much better and much more balanced than I was expecting; definitely a very good, moderate use of Bourbon Barrel character and coffee if drunk on the warm side.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Big ups to saucya for hooking me up with this brew on a trade.

A. Black with a thin tan head that has no retention or lacing at all.

S. Bourbon, chocolate and vanilla take over the smell of this brew with hints of coffee in the background.

T. From the first sip, your tastebuds are attacked with flavors of chocolate, vanilla, oak bourbon, and coffee. Chocolate and coffee are dominant at the beginning, then as it warms, the bourbon flavor start to take over. vanilla and oak remain the whole way through but never peak as dominant as the other three.

M. mouthfeel is wonderfully full and rich

D. Drinkability is amazingly smooth for a 10%er. not sure the stomach could hang with too many as it's quite filling, but I'd like to find out how many I could put down before the stomach says "no mas".

All in all this is one fantastic brew. far and away the best of the bourbon barrel aged stouts I've come across yet. I got to find a way to secure a case of this next go round.

4.19/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 05/18/08. 2008 version. Cool western-style label.

Pours pitch black with a thin layer of chocolaty brown head. The head faded quickly and left no lacing around the glass. Aromas of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla, and a slightly burnt smell to it.

Taste is very nice. A nice smooth (but not overpowering) bourbon flavor, as well as coffee, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and oak. Didn't get any coffee in the smell, but it's definitely there in the taste. Chocolate flavors are also much more pronounced. There's also a slight burnt flavor mixed in there, and some alcohol warming. It's quite sweet up front, from the bourbon aging, and very bitter in the finish. The sweetness is almost a bit overpowering, the balance needs just a bit of work.

Feel is pretty nice. Very smooth and creamy for a bourbon stout. Carbonation level is just right, it's not too thick and just a bit sticky. Drinkability is pretty good. The bitter/sweet-ness of it gets to me after awhile. And the alcohol kinda creeps up on me.

A very good bourbon stout, probably the best I've had. Though perhaps a bit more age would balance it out some more. Probably a bit over-hyped, but still very good.

4.59/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Black with brown/black head that fades relatively quickly and leaves slight lacing on glass.

S: Coffee dominates with nice vanilla oak notes. Milk chocolate and espresso with a little bit of alochol

T/M: It's semi-heavy and smooth with good carbonation. Lots of coffee, though not as much as I would have thought from the nose. Fades to oaky and smoky vanilla fading to espresso bitterness with a touch of fruit in there (bourbon soaked cherries). Some spice comes in at the end along with the alochol in a very bourbouny way. Finish leaves some warmth on your throat and some sting on the tounge. Definitely well balanced. The bourbon aging in some beers tends to dominate the flavor, but while prominent, it fits in nicely here and never throwns the beer out of wack. As it warms the bourbon notes become more pronounced, and come close to overtaking the beer, but it ends up working.

D: For a 10% abv stout that's barrell aged it's quite high on the dinrkinbility.

Ovr: Really good stout. I was expecting a ton, and I don;t know that it lived up to every expectation I had, but all in all it was a really good example of a barell aged stout.

WOW! this beauty is unbelievable. Had on tap at andy's corner with fellow BA's jessecarr and jmscott.

This beer is amazing. poured into a over sized wine glass. With a nice thick chewy tan head.

It starts out with a great bourbon wood and coffee smell that is pungent and amazing. And the great smell remains in the glass well after the beer is gone.

The taste of bourbon, wood and slight coffee hit the pallet and as this brew warms the taste of coffee and chocolate start to take over. So tasty and amazing.

This beer is just outright awesome. by far one of the best beers I've gotten the pleasure to try so far. I would love to have this available all the time. If you haven't tried this puppy yet do what you can to get some of this.

4.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks go out to bwyker for cracking this bottle open.

A: Jet black with a mocha head. One half finger to be exact. Really nice lacing.

S: The smell was simply amazing in this beer. Spiciness was there as well as fire and bourbon. Nice. coffee and vanilla were there along with a ton of roasted malt.

T: Bourbon chocolate spiciness and coffee. I compared this to Bourbon County stout while drinking it and felt that there was more going on in this beer.

M: Heavy body I guess. I just wanted this thing to be tar due to the smell and taste so I guess this is where this beer fell short for me.

D: I wrote " Bourbon County Lite" hahahaa. This is a really great beer. I think the reason I like the other better is that there is simply too much going on in this beer. It is amazing. Every sip really did yield something different. I think the insanity of this beer is why is deserves to be a top nod.

Had this on tap at Founders Brewery. Stopped there as part of my Dark Lord Day road trip. Served in a snifter.

A: Black opaque body. No head. Little to no carbonation visible.

S: Earthy, oaky, and full of coffee. Hints of bourbon and dark fruits (raisons).

T: Strong coffee presence. Slightly bitter. Nice notes of oak and boubon.

M: Full bodied. Slightly syrupy. Very smoothe.

D: Not a session beer by any means, but I could sip it from a snifter all night like a fine bourbon. I've had it in it's bottle form and wasn't thrilled. Enjoying it on tap opened my eyes to how good this beer really is.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company