Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 2,985 | Ratings: 11,605
4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz bottle served into a snifter. This beer pours motor oil black with a very nice chocolate head. The aroma consists of coffee, bourbon, dark fruit and oak. The flavor follows the smell. The initial taste is bourbon and then it is followed with coffee and chocolate. The carbonation is just right and not overpowering. This beer is fantastic and deserves all the praise it gets. This is a must get for anyone.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

I got to try this beer thanks to my friend Sam. He nabbed a couple four packs and was so nice as to share one with me. The first thing I do whenever I am trying a new beer is smell it, and try to get a sense of what its all about. Wow, this beer smells great. Chocolaty tones and dark roasted malt as well as just a touch of coffee.

When I drank this beer it did not disappoint. All of the flavors were there. As the beer warmed up in my glass, it really allowed the flavors to mellow out and the overall experience changed.

I highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes a big stout.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

UPDATE: Recently had this side by side with normal Breakfast Stout. From my notes:

A: Black w/ brown head lasting about a minute. Falls into swirls on top with ring around glass. 4.7

S: Bourbon/chocolate/coffee equally, none dominates the other. 4.7

T: Bourbon is front and center, almost no coffee taste. A little salty when cold. Milk chocolate as it warms and bourbon lessens after a while. 4.7

M: Silky smooth. Doesn't get much better. 4.7

D: Not too hot but the bourbon is still pretty overpowering to drink much. 4

---
I finally nabbed myself this fine beer from Party Source in Bellvue which luckily just started carrying some Founder's brews. I've been loving coffee stouts lately and have looked forward to this. At $7.50 a bottle I hope the beer's worthit; here goes nothing:

A: Poured black and viscous into my Maudite snifter. Nice tan head that dissipated very quickly into a ring that leaves some lacing. No light's getting through this one.

S: Straight up coffee at first. Can't really tell what else is in there but I love it. One of the best-smelling beers I've had yet.

T: Mostly coffee and bourbon, as expected. There's some chocolate and roasty/malty taste followed by a bit of hotness from the 11.2%, but not enough to detract from the experience.

M: This feel pretty thick and coats the mouth well. Even after it goes down the taste lingers around the mouth for a while. The bourbon leaves a bit of a burning sensation around the perimeter of my mouth... not a fan of that.

D: KBS is gonna lose some points here. Don't get me wrong, it tastes great. But the price/availability/abv are going to prevent me from having more than one of these at a time.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I found this brew in my local beer store...

Appearance: Pours a deep black with a slight amount of head that fades quickly. Does leave some nice lacing.

Smell: Wow...picking up chocolate and coffee and just a hint of bourbon. Smells phenomenal!

Taste: The taste is unbelievable! Very smooth, the coffee and chocolate is very apparent, but not overwhelming. I was expecting a bit more snap towards the end, but nothing but sweet smooth goodness.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, not too thin...it's smooth and creamy. Perfection.

Drinkability: Complexity is the key word here. This beer gets better with every sip, I wish it wouldn't end. Oh, I just remembered...I have another bottle...

Presentation: Poured form a stubby 12 oz brown bottle with a twist off cap into a Duvel tulip. Label is designed to look like an old medicine bottle and no longer says "Kentucky" on it. No freshness date. Neck label lists 70 IBU's and 11.2 ABV.

Appearance: Pours with the thinnest of heads, barely full coverage. This dark brown foam dissipates very quickly, leaving a few randomly disbursed islands of foam and a ring around the glass. The beer itself is black and completely opaque; looks like used motor oil. Some sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong notes of coffee and roasted barley. Hints of vanilla. Bourbon smell is noticeably absent.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront, not of hops, but like coffee and dark roasted barley. Slight milky chocolate in the middle. Very boozy in the finish; mild alcohol sweetness with hints of anise.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level, perfect for the style. Enough to deliver the flavors of this thick stout, but not too high. Body is very good.

Drinkability: A complex and tasty stout. The bourbon is very hidden in this one, which is fine by me. I enjoy the flavors of oak and bourbon: vanilla, cherry, etc., but not the overly alcoholic taste. This one has a bite in the finish form its higher ABV, but not too bad. I imagine that would fade with time.

4.27/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Pours a deep glossy black color with a very small, but lingering head. Nice mocha colored lacing.

S - Smells of roasted malts and dark chocolate that turns more toward warming bourbon.

T - Stong roasted coffee/espresso that work with dark chocolate flavors, and settles into bourbon and subtle caramel. Flavors and intensity quickly varying. Sherry notes at first that disappear as the mouth becomes coated. Lingering roast and burnt chocolate w/ oak becoming more noticeable.

M - Very smooth and creamy body that coats the mouth thoroughly. A nice alcohol warmth that fades as the tongue becomes intoxicated.

D - Very complex beer that grows with each taste. A fine way to end the week. Darius75 has is right...A true gentleman's stout. Very glad to taste my first KBS.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a deep black color in my Sam Adams glass. Minimal head despite a hard pour with a little lacing donw the glass.
Smelled of coffee, chocolate and oak. Taste was similar but more rich. Through the coffee, chocolate and oak there was a hnit of the bourbon as well, making this very deep in flavors. Mouthfeel was very thick and rich. I almost wanted to chew it. Very impressive. Drinkability, in terms of drinking more than one is not good, as this is an ABV monster that quickly went to my head, despite it's deliciousness. This one is best as a nightcap, or with dessert, not as a session drink.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz. bottle at room temperature, poured into an 8 oz. wine goblet.

A: Black as the devil in the center, lightening to a caramel brown at the edges. Thin, light golden head dissipates fast. I can see the rim of the glass reflected almost perfectly on the surface of the beer. It's like an oil slick on the surface of a magical wishing well. Little islands of foam creep down the sides of the glass.

S: The nose is rich, but not acrid or too insistent. Deep, rich chocolate aromas are the most pronounced, teased forward by hints of coffee and bourbon. This stout smells like a high-class chocolate bar dipped in hard liquor, or a rum-filled truffle dipped in coffee, or a beautiful woman holding a glass of bourbon dipped in high-class melted chocolate. Somewhere between those three.

T: Chewy chocolate and understated coffee flavors predominate for about a second, segueing into a powerful wash of bourbon. The round, tasty bourbon flavor is mellow at first, mediated by the coffee and chocolate. The tail end of the taste proffers hard liquor's delicious sting without numbing the palate, because it's softened by the chocolate warmth that came before. The aftertaste is mostly coffee and bourbon, without the stickiness that makes too-sweet beers difficult to drink. The more I drink, the more I notice the presence of all the flavors throughout each sip.

M: Round, smooth, thick like a dessert liqueur. The pleasant warmth and creaminess linger between sips. The moderate carbonation is not noticeable with all these dapper yet rugged flavors riding into town.

D: This is an incredibly well-balanced brew that goes down easy, unlike flavored stouts (coffee, chocolate, bourbon, or straight-up oak) in which the specialty flavor dominates too fiercely. This is a true gentleman's brew. If only they released it more than once a year.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Pours an inky black with no head save for a thin cinnamon lace.

S - Smells of roasted grain and dark chocolate. Much more subtle on the coffee than Breakfast Stout. Further sniffs reveal an oaky vanilla note. Bourbon remains pretty well hidden at first, but shows itself as the beer warms.

T - Coffee, chocolate, and vanilla all carry over into the palate, with Bourbon now coming into play as well. The whiskey, although obvious, is very well in balance with the rest of the beer. As the beer warms, the flavors grow more complex, with molasses, raisins, and figs. Hop bitterness builds and really comes through in the long finish.

M - Smooth and viscous, with a warming sensation on the tongue and in the throat.

D - A pleasure from start to finish. I enjoyed this even more than Breakfast Stout - I think the component flavors are much better integrated here. Definitely a beer that lives up to the hype.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

G: Oversized snifter.

A: Pours very, very dark and thick with a single-finger caramel-colored head, which has plenty of carbonation and air bubbles. Head recedes quickly; nice lacing.

S: Coffee and dark chocolate. A little bit of hops. Bourbon presence with a little bit of alcohol.

T: Burnt espresso to go with the bourbon; lots of malt and a little bit of hops to go along with the alcohol. Chocolate and creamy flavors linger after the beer goes down. Hints of caramel and vanilla as well. Incredibly complex--each sip brings something new.

M: Incredibly smooth. Unbelievably sooth and medium-bodied in the mouth, with the perfect amount of carbonation and a striking alcohol presence, which is not overpowering. Simply lovely.

D: Very drinkable for the style and ABV. It's a shame I was only able to pick up two bottles--hopefully I can scrounge some more up somewhere else.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

Was lucky enough to find this beer in Northern Massachusetts...I had almost given up hope.

A - Black. Very black. Quickly dissipating light brown head and leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S - Smells of burnt wood with coffee notes and something sweet that I can't quite put my finger on...I'm guessing vanilla.

T - Outta sight, my man! Lives up to the hype for sure! The coffee punch of the regular breakfast stout almost punches through but is stifled by the sweet woody bourbon flavor with vanilla highlights. The bourbon wood flavor lingers on the tongue long after sipping. I feel the flavor on every inch of my tongue. So. well. balanced.

M - Thick'n creamy. I love this beer in my mouth.

D - There is so much flavor in this beer that you have to drink it slowly and having more than one would be difficult. Definitely burns from the alcohol, but I've always liked that in my booze.

My tongue just took a KBS bath and now feels like a million bucks. This beer has so much flavor I think I'll still be tasting this beer in a week.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout is black, real black.

Smells of wood, charred paper, and burnt coffee. Deep chocolate melds with bourbon creating a real treat on the snoot.

Tastes reminiscent of Breakfast Stout, but with a boozy bourbon background and a dollop of vanilla. Burn evident as beer warms, but deiselness noticed more in the warmth that spreads through the body than the actual taste.

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%

Black coffee with a thick finger of badass dark foam. The nose is roasted coffee, oak, vanilla and bourbon with chocolate malt. The taste mirrors the smell but with the bourbon coming more to the forefront. Rich and chocolatey flavors blend perfectly with bittering hops. Big and viscous it pours like motor oil and coats the mouth. The complexity grows with each sip. A world class beer, one of the best.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

EDIT::
So when I first reviewed this I don't think my palate was ready for this great of a beer. This current bottle is from 2/15/10 so it's just about 6 months old. IMO this is a perfect time to bust the cap on this one. The burn has mellowed a bit but there's enough there to keep me happy. This is world class. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk. I want to pop another one but I know I'll regret it.

With all the hype surrounding this beer, when i saw it at Capones i figured i better get one or i might not see it again for a while.
I'm hoping this lives up to its legendary reputation. It's not often i splurge and spend $9.50 for a 12oz. bottle.

This is from 2009. The bottle is different then the one currently pictured as the newer one says KBS instead of Kentucky Breakfast Stout.
Also, its listed at 11.2%abv. as apposed to 10%.

I'm drinking this one a few degrees below room temp.

Pours black as night. Silky, with the texture of used motor oil.
A Thin layer of tan head with little to no lacing.

The first scent i get is of rubbing alcohol. After a few more breaths i can smell some chocolate and burnt coffee along with the alcohol smell.

First sip is suprising smooth. After my second and third sip the bouquet of flavors are noticable.
Chocolate, coffee, and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is warm. Almost no carbonation is noticable.
Finishes smoothly with a nice warmth of alcohol.

This is in fact one of the best stouts i've tasted and i'm glad i got to sample one.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

The stout pours a reddish black with a mahogony crown. The head fades quickly into a thick ring of bubbles that coats the glass. The mix of brown, black, and red really makes this beer stand a bit above the typical black stouts.
The nose is dominated by bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, a little coffee...very strong alcohol presence, but it is blended in very well.
The taste is an amazing blend of bourbon and chocolate. The vanilla notes from the barrels stand between the two to keep them from fighting. There is a nice bitter chocolate finish that really sets off the taste buds. I was worried about this beer letting me down, it didn't.
The mouthfeel is perfect, just enough bitterness to keep the sweet at bay, with a nice bitter chocolate ending to round it off.
This beer is exceptionally drinkable, I am extremely impressed by Founders yet again for their ability to produce such fine examples of ambrosia. This beer definitely lives up to the hype, even when its this young...I can't imagine how well it will age...In a few years, this beer will be nothing short of amazing, but even now it is magnificent.

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

A strong pour produces a 1-finger head the color of chocolate milk. The beer is dark black with slight tints of brown. The aroma is awesome-it smacks you in the face with coffee, big bold and roasty, followed by bitter chocolate, hints of vanilla before the bourbon comes in-slightly boozy.

Taste isn't surprising, huge notes of coffee and chocolate mingle perfectly with the vanilla coming in along with bourbon, big bold brassy bourbon, just the slightest taste of alcohol and a slightly dry finish for such a sweet beer. Mouthfeel is thick, chewey-viscous with lively carbonation. A pleasure.

This is a one and done beer for me. Whereas with FBS I can knock back two or three in a sitting, this beer is a doozy with such boozy goodness. Highly recommended, unless you don't like bourbon or coffee-then stay away from this beer and perhaps you should consider how it is you live.

4.27/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, almost black. Almost no head, despite a force pour - a thin layer of dark chocolate colored foam that quickly subsided to nothing.

Smell: Sweet chocolate, and strong notes of bourbon in the background. Coffee intermingles with the bourbon. This baby smells strong. Doesn't smell like any beer I've had before, but it smells awesome.

Taste: Incredibly smooth. Bourbon and coffee mixed together, with no one flavor really dominating. Chocolate notes come out as well. Each flavor is highlighted at a different point during the sip, and the taste lingers long after. Doesn't taste nearly as strong as it smells, or as I expected it to be, but there is a very nice warming sensation from the alcohol on the back end of each sip. All of the flavors complement each other perfectly. If I had a complaint, it is that at times the flavors almost seem to separate, instead of blend together. As the beer warms, the bourbon flavor begins to dominate.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly creamy, almost chewy. Perfectly carbonated. *Slightly* thin, but only just.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerous. It tastes very good, and the alcohol is only evident in the aftertaste - not nearly as much of a sipper as I thought it would be. Very glad I had the opportunity to pick up a few bottles of this.

I will tell you the truth. With all the hype surrounding this beer I was sure this was going to be a HUGE let down. As I was not too impressed with the regular breakfest stout. Now I have this to say, I dont think the Lord our God would let a beer get any better.

Appearance: Thick, as black as the night, not too far from used 5w30. A thin brown head that collects around the sides of the glass. This head looks like a cloudy sattelite photo of the earth.

Smell: Oh man, like those sweet vanilla cigars old men smoke, like a fresh bottle of vanilla, leather, good coffee, a pleasent alcohol sweetness with nothing offensive detected.

Taste: I drank this at room temp. Who could do this beer justice and describe its taste? This is like creamy vanilla ice cream and port wine. Its not too sweet though I would say on a scale of 1-10 its about a 6. But once you get that initial sweetness the hops come in to keep it in check.

Mouthfeel: Its thick. Like vitamin D milk. Subtle carbonation, I love its touch and how it sets my mind at ease. No fizziness.

Drinkability: When it comes to high alcohol beers you expect them to be a bit harsh and kind of tough to get down. This is an exception, its super smooth. I would like to drink this all the time.

This is the best beer I have had thus far. For me it has surpassed the hype. I imagine only the Saints in Heaven are drinking anything better.

3.84/5  rDev -15.8%

I had an 8oz. glass of this at the South Philly Tap Room during Philly Beer Week. Cost me $9, bringing it in at more than $1.12 an oz., but I figured it was a legendary beer so what the hell. My general feeling is that imperial stouts are overrated on BeerAdvocate, and this one seemed to be something of a case in point. It is by all means a wonderful beer though, whether it serves as my imperial stout whipping boy or not.

Appearance: Black as night and smooth like motor oil. Virtually no head.

Smell: Lots of coffee and a little whisky.

Taste: Depth of malt flavors is extreme; coffee above all, whisky, vanilla, dark chocolate, all things dark and dreamy. But not enough of the whisky, I was surprised to find. It and the vanilla notes were kind of buried beneath some of the heavier characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and viscous, slightly syrupy with smooth and light carbonation.

Drinkability: Highly delicious and a special treat, but I have satisfied my curiosity for the moment. You'll never see me kicking this one out of my glass though.

This is for the 2009 release of what is now officially KBS, and 11.2% ABV

After hearing the (deserved) "hype," I decided I must have this beer as soon as possible. I found out it was brewed once per year rather than semi-ann or quarterly, and that the release was going to be over my spring break's ending weekend. Calling! I tried their amazing Breakfast Stout the previous summer and it was nothing short of amazing.. it is the one that I sipped once, and then again, while thinking "I think I want to learn to like stouts!" I added the color stout to my palate.

KBS:
It is not as think as one might expect, especially compared to the Old Curmudgeon I had at school the following night(sticky! but in foam) It did pour an almost black brown into my glass. The aroma of bourbon was prominent, also containing chocolate and coffee notes.

The taste was sort of 3 parts. It seemed to start with chocolate and a little coffee, then more chocolate and other ingredients(incl. oatmeal). Then you get hit with chocolate, oatmeal, and bourbon. Finally, the finish gives you some chocolate but the bourbon is sort of in your nose, too, providing somewhat stronger noted than before.

This beer was incredible. Just as you are ready to say that it is tied with regular Breakfast Stout, just different, you realise how delicious the bourbon flavor really is, and how much it adds by being obviously present in the aroma and taste, but without the alcohol taste to spoil it. And KBS is ridiculously drinkable. Definitely could creep up on you. Enjoy!

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A - jet black like used motor oil with a hint of a dark brown head that in a flash was gone. (as to be expected with bourbon barrel aged beers.)

S - chocolate, roasted barley, tobacco, smoke, charred barley, oak, vanilla. the smell is essentially Breakfast Stout that has a bourbon barrel tinge to it. very coffee heavy.

T - very coffee heavy. coffee, roasted barley, espresso, smoke, tobacco, charred malt. vanilla, oak, and alcohol come into play as the beer warms. there's also some dark chocolate in the finish. Essentially it tastes like sweetened guinness draught that's been bourbon barrel aged, but that's simplifying it too much because it's so much more.

M - thick and viscous. it appeared to leave a film on my glass.

D - very good beer. I'm glad i picked up a few (seven) extra bottles for cellaring.

Additionally: Does it live up to the hype? Yes. Definitely one to seek out if you're an Imperial Stout fan.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz. Murky black brown pour, light does not penetrate, brown around the edges. Very limited brown head, a ring sticks around and a swirl leaves a minibubble lace around the glass.
Aroma is abundant with roasted malts, espresso, vanilla, woody tones, caramel and molasses. All this does nothing but increase as it warms.
Mouthfeel is near creamy, surprisingly a bit lively for the dissapation of the head.
Taste is everything in the nose intermingling. Great barrel and vanilla one second, dark chocolate, molasses and espresso the next. Finishes with just a hint of coffee, and molasses. There are no negatives in bitterness/sourness or anything overdone in this. As long as you are ready for what you should expect from this, there is absolutely no dissapointment.
This is the best double stout I have had sans aging flat out. There is no need to cellar this to get what you are expecting. I have several to age, but I'm guessing this will be one that does not change much from age. The Alesmith stouts are the only others I've had that can equal this without age.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours thick and opaque with a creamy tan head that virtually coats the glass. Some head lingers, though it does thin out rather quickly.

Ahhh, one of the best noses I've experienced. Simultaneous waves of vanilla, coffee, sweet chocolate, and oaky goodness. I can't think of anything that could improve the aromas carried by the KBS.

Drinks velvety smooth with a thick, rich mouthfeel that coats the mouth. The sweetness of the vanilla and chocolate are balanced wonderfully by the bitterness of the coffee and roasted grains, as well as by the warmth imparted by the bourbon barrel. Finish is medium-to-long, making this a great beer for sipping. Alcohol strength (which is 11.2% on the bottle, but listed as 10% above), comes throughh a little in the end, but for me it's balanced enough.

After waiting many months for this beauty to arrive in NC, I was not disappointed. Awesome. Founders continues to impress me with their beers, this being the best yet.

I'm forgoing the usual format to simply say that this is exquisite. If there is such a thing as "perfect" this is it. What else could I possibly add to the legions who think of this as one of the greatest achievements in beerdom? Simply amazing.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

2009 KBS, 11.2% ABV, 70 IBU's

A: Thick, viscous on the pour. Consistency of motor oil. Pitch black, opaque with a slight dark tan head which dissipates quickly.

S: The aromas on the forefront are bourbon and oak which lends nice vanilla notes. That is followed by an onslaught of gourmet bold coffee and dark chocolate. This one makes my mouth water... always a good sign. I could literally get lost in the aroma ... the best aroma I have ever experienced in a beer

T: Wow, talk about balance for such a big beer. The bourbon and coffee play off of each other flawlessly with undertones of vanilla, dark chocolate, and oak. As the glass warms, different flavors are accented. First it was the bourbon, then the coffee, then the chocolate. All of it comes together with a presence of alcohol at the end, but at 11.2%, this is to be expected. I am thankful I got my hands on a few of these.

M: A very thick body that is silky smooth.

D: Simply delicious. 'Nuff said.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company