Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,012 | Ratings: 11,713
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

2008 vintage with the old label and 10%ABV. I'm pretty sure I picked this up at Jessup Beverage Center. Taken out of the DBF and allowed to warm up for about 45 minutes. Poured from a 12 ounce stubby bottle into my Duvel tulip glass. I poured about 3/4 of the bottle, swirled up the yum-yums from the bottom of the bottle, and vigorously poured the remaining few ounces into the snifter. Appears a deep, dark, opaque blackish brown color with a solid two fingers of creamy dark ecru head. The head fades in about two minutes down to a 1/4 inch layer leaving a nice lace on the glass. Smells of bourbon soaked cocoa powder, vanilla beans, molasses, a touch of roasted coffee, and oak/wood. Tastes of bitter baking chocolate squares, smooth bourbon, black coffee, cocoa powder, vanilla, caramelized malts, a bit more bourbon, dark chocolate, and mocha. I'll admit, I was expecting this to be truly full bodied. It didn't seem it to me. It was still rich and satisfying, but just didn't seem as thick as I was hoping for. Medium in carbonation. Alcohol is completely hidden at this point. I prefer "regular" Breakfast Stout once or twice a month. I'll save the KBS for a "every few months" treat to enjoy, sip and savor over the course of an hour or so.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

God Bless KBS.... had at Founders on KBS release day...

Dark Burnt Brown and beautiful...with nothing but tiny bubbles as for head.

The smell is absolutely amazing...vanilla, chocolate,coffee..with a slight bourbon burn...

Taste is perfect.. I think I want to bathe in this one...Heats you up as you sip thru the darkness...

The 11.2 abv is not to ferocious either...which makes it a wonderfully dangerous brew.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

pours completely dark ,,,no light through it...solid middle finger worth of tannish head that dissapates to a halo around the glass...smells of dark mocha coffee and bourbon..wows..almost tickles the nostrils...the taste changes as the glass settles and warms..offering dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and fruits followed by that warm bourbon rush...leaves your mouth wanting more..probably a good thing this is so limited as i could see how this would be incredibly addicting!!

4.17/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a thick, midnight black with one-finger almost brown head and some lace. Coffee notes along with oak/wood dominate the smell. Also some bourbon, burtn malts and some residual sweetness in the smell (bitter chocolate, caramel). A mix of coffee and burnt malts and oak/wood lead to a dryish feeling w/ this beer, but overall it is smooth and creamy with a sweet taste thanks to the chocolate and vanilla in there. Even a hint of hops in the backend, although this beer is about the malts. The 10% ABV is not overpowering but instead compliments the beer as it lets it warm the tongue and prickles the tongue on the backend. A quick sipper, b/c I noticed as I took my time the beer started to get a little dryer. An excellent stout nonetheless.

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

I've been waiting to get a chance to try this beer for a long time. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my snifter.

A- KBS is beautiful. It pours completely pitch black, no highlights, with a small brown head. Tons of lacing.
S- Huge delicious aroma. Coffee, chocolate, oak, bourbon, roasty burntness. What more could you ask so for?
T- Perfect. Really I mean it, for me this beer is perfection. The taste is a perfect balance of chocolate, coffee, oak, bitterness, bourbon and it is so incredibly smooth.
M- This beer is like a warm hug, and it only gets better as it warms.
D- Do I want another, yes. But I will not indulge.

Thus far, whenever I have gotten the opportunity to try one of the beers in the BA top 25 or so, I have tended to be let down because of the hype surrounding the beer. With KBS though, there is no let-down this is honestly one of the best beers, if not the best beer I have ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours like motor oil (in a good way!)This is dark! Loaded with fantastic flavors & notes of coffee, chocolate, bourbon and vanilla. my mouth was watering just watching it pour. The warmer this gets, the better it is. Pour this baby into a beautiful snifter and let it slowly warm while enjoying it all the way through. Don't confuse your palet by having too many hoppy beers prior to enjoying this one. Stick with malty selections for the evening. Bravo! (Although I'm not crazy about them having to change it's name. This is still America right?)

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2008 Bottle, originally reviewed 12/03/2008:

4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (thanks to kryptic!) into a snifter.

Appearance is jet black in color with no light passing through whatsoever. One inch dark tan bubbly head initially but it quickly sinks down to a skim with lots of large bubbles. Leaves minimal lacing.

Aroma is pretty heavy on the coffee like the regular breakfast stout, though there is a definite bourbon presence with some substantial vanilla as well. A bit of dark chocolate in the nose as well, plus some alcohol.

The taste starts off with coffee and bourbon right off the bat then come some vanilla and charred oak flavors, with the coffee still lingering on into the finish. The coffee flavor is met by some dark chocolate in the finish as well, then a slight hot bourbony taste that stays on the breath.

Mouthfeel is full but not really thick or oily. Very creamy though and easy drinking considering what it is.

---

2009 Bottle:

Appearance is pitch black - doesn't get much darker than this. A three-quarter inch dark tan head forms on top after a straight pour.This one just looks thick. Doesn't leave much lacing as a result.

Aroma is a great blast of coffee mostly. I'm thinking Breakfast Stout on steroids. The coffee isn't all though. There's a big dark chocolate component that kind of reminds me of mocha espresso. The bourbon aging almost doesn't come through at all since the coffee is so strong. It's more of a boozy aroma than bourbon in particular. Seems to lack the vanilla that I noted in last years version.

Taste is really heavy on the coffee and chocolate instantly with the bourbon complexity coming in right at the beginning of the swallow. There's definitely some oak and bourbon flavor coming through, and unlike the aroma I'm now picking up some vanilla. Finish brings a bit of alcohol warmth but it's surprisingly drinkable.

Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect. It's full and thick but it has such a great soft and creamy feel it's hard to describe.

I think I like this years version slightly better than last years, but overall they're not as different as some people seem to be claiming. I'm loving the coffee in this one, as the one I had last time was about 9 months old and the coffee had probably faded a bit. I still prefer GI BCS in the barrel aged beer category, but this is certainly one to be reckoned with.

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

And I thought I'd never try it! I found a 4-pack of "KBS" (apparently that's what it goes by now) and finally got to have this very very well-regarded beer. Poured it into my snifter glass...

It poured the darkest brown possible. Motor oil in a glass. I poured fairly aggressively and the smallest head bubbled up after every last drop had been transferred to the glass. The only thing I can compare the head to is a tar pit. Imagine if you will a woolly mammoth sinking into the dark pit and then, after sinking, the last we see of the extinct beast are the bubbles rising to the top of the tar pit. That's the head of KBS; blink, and you'll miss it. Small amount of lacing on the glass... just dark, brown bubbles clinging ever so briefly.

The smell is incredible. Hands down one of the most aromatic stouts I've ever had the pleasure of putting my nose to. Chocolate, coffee with a vanilla bourbon/oak back... and even some deep, rich fruit aromas linger.

The taste is also impressive. Big, bold sweet AND bitter dark chocolate (if you don't like chocolate I really can't recommend this). At first, it tastes a little like a coffee liquor but it is certainly more than that. A little too sweet at first but by the time I was on my fourth sip I was getting waves of the smallest hop flavor and faintest hint of booze that served to balance out the cakey richness very well. Definitely one of those journey beers where each sip is a little bit different.

The lack of carbonation (accompanied by the sometimes overly sweet taste) was an itty bitty problem for me. The mouthfeel is actually very good in the sense that it is oh so smooth and oily... it coats your mouth perfectly. Thick - but not too thick.

It's hard to rate KBS' drinkability. On the one hand, this beer is not intended to be a session beer. On the other: is a truly great beer not intended to make you want another one on some level? I can honestly say that, while I enjoyed the KBS I had quite a lot, I did not immediately following its consumption really want another. It was real smooth though, like dark silk gravy.

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%

This is an update to my 09 review a 5.
Not the same beer from 09. The taste is unbalanced and not what it once was. So sad this is not as much of a disapointment as Hopslam( a complete letdown the last three years)
Enjoy perfection when you notice.

Big thanks to Howard (wearing the green kilt) for being a beer angel and directly us to where we could buy KBS. Brewery ran out of 150 cases in less than 2 hours.

OK...I am fortunate to have had the 09 KBS on Nitro-tap & on tap at the brewery. Have not cracked the 09 bottles yet.

This review is for the nitro. $6 for 8 ounces. Not a cheap date.

Great looking, black & mysterious, but there are alot of hotties in the craft world these days.

Wonderful aroma and fun to go sniffing for vanilla & bourbon.

Taste of the nitro is relaxed. It goes down so easy it is truly dangerous. Flavors dance. Bourbon flavor seemed somewhat subdued compared to the draft & the 08 bottle.

Mouthfeel is pure velvet with less slick.

Drinkability- I could drink 4 of these easy. Not a cheap date. Would definetly need a taxi or a sleepover.

If you are within a days drive....hope to see you and Howard there in 2010.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle read KBS so I know it was an 2009 release. Poured into a pint glass at the perfect temp.

A- poured out jet black with a lacing of head around the glass.
S- this beer smells so good, and maybe thats because I love imperial stouts but this is one of my favorite beers.
T- Ok do i really need to go into this. This beer is so smooth and yummy i dont even have the words. And the higher ABV isnt notisable at all.
D- I started reviewing this beer about five minutes ago and I am drinking while I review...the beer is almost gone.

To sum up this awesome big huge beer i would just like to say...WOW.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. No date is given on the bottle but I know that this is from the 2009 release.

Appearance: A hard pour managed to get me a 2 finger brown head. The body is pitch black of course.

Smell: Lots of the oak bourbon barrel in the aroma. Chocolate and coffee have have mellowed and blended with the oaky smell during the aging process.

Taste: I was thinking that so far the appearance and smell have failed to live up to the hype but the taste is really amazing. Even a tiny sip gives way to an explosion of flavor. Oak and bourbon are especially dominant on the finish. Bitter dark chocolate provides a nice sweetness.

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter; 2009 Vintage

Pours a viscous deep, dark brown, almost black. After an aggressive pour, the cocoa brown head rose very little and subsided rather quickly. A thin, bubbly collar forms around the edges and leaves strings and dots of lace in its wake.

Bourbon fills the air. I can smell it from an arms length away. I get coffee off the bat, with vanilla, oak, bourbon and bittersweet chocolate rounding out the nose. Not very deep, or broad, but what it does, it does well.

The bourbon flavors attack you first. Vanilla, oak and booze, but then the booze subsides quickly and the coffee and chocolate take over. The finish is a combination of all of the above. Very enjoyable.

I've had very few beers that can compare with the slickness of this beer. Velvety smooth but not overly thick. Leaves an oil slick coating the mouth. Delicious.

You know, this beer is pretty big and bad, but it plays nice. The vanilla and coffee do an excellent job of keeping the booze at bay. With all that going on, it isn't nearly as thick as I would have thought.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

After searching all over the place I finally got a 4 pack of this! Pours a coffee black with a one finger fluffy chocolate milk head. It smells much like oak, coffee, and chocolate. The taste is just insane! It starts off with oak barrels and some bitterness. Then you can taste the coffee, bourbon and malts. It finishes with a hint of chocolate and vanilla. The after taste is a mix between chocolate milk and coffee. This is incredible! The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It laces the throat on the way down. No wonder this is in the top 10 beers in the world. KBS is just.. (near) perfect. Drinkability, I couldn't have too many of these in a row (and wouldn't want to due to the price OUCH), but I wish I had these around all year long. Kentucky Breakfast Stout is an amazing beer.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%

I'm glad I waited until my second experience to review this one, liked it better in the pint glass than the snifter.

A- Pitch black, very minimal head even with a hard pour

S- Caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and espresso

T- Espresso, tastes like un-brewed coffee beans smell. Is just a touch hot and would age exceptional

M- Thick and chewy but nice and smooth at the same time

D- A little high to have more than one at a sitting, amazing sipper. If the hype machine wasn't in full effect it'd be easier to get.

Edit 2010: Drove up to GR for the release, luckily my girlfriend jumped out of the truck & got in line as I got the second to last case. In conscience I couldn't buy the last two cases even though friend was disappointed. Totally worth the trip, KBS on nitro is a dream.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For lunch on a day off I hit Sunset in the hops that KBS would be on tap. Lo and behold...served up in a sniftah...

Pours with a deep dark 2-finger head probably milk chocolate/brown sugar in color. Body is espresso brown/black and opaque as can be. Lacing is prevalent and quite viscous, creating nice trails on the inside of the snifter.
The bourbon chocolate/coffee nose has a pleasant dryness to it that works well with the expected copious oak and good piney hop profile. Sure, there's creamy sweetness as well but it's dialed back just a bit to keep the balancing act in check.

Bittersweet is the theme carrying the day - sweet chocolate, vanilla and bourbony oak slithers down the palate with a brick shithouse of a malt backbone to meet a drier texture - not quite slate but well-balanced coffee and more of a baker's version of chocolate. Slight alcohol burn? Maybe just a bit. Quite complex indeed but everyone's in this one together.

I can't complain about any of this too much. While there's a certain dryness to it on one level, I found that the sweetness is still there but more balanced than in the bottle. This is so creamy on the palate it's not funny.

This is like Barry White - wayyy too smooth for its weight class. For such a high-octane ABV wallop it primes the pump very nicely. Enjoy!

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Savored in bottle that I found at Miami Valley Liquor and wine in Huber Heights Ohio, thanks to Sohio for giving me the heads up.

Pours thick and dark, only a very subtle head on this one that fades as quick as it comes. Lacing is smooth and light. Smell is amazingly complicated, hints of coffee bean, vanilla, raisin, orange peel, chocolate, bourbon, hops, and strong alcohol. Breathe it in, for it is heavenly. Taste is the shock of more complexity, hit with a strong coffee and bourbon with a nice and subtle burning, and as it uses every bit of your taste buds, gently rolls through fruits and vanilla, still with a prevalent bourbon flavor. As the nectar slowly falls into slumber a burst of chocolate comes flowing up from the depths like a long lost love. As the moment subsides the taste lingers with hops and then every flavor awakens again, but only for a moment.

Wow, I understand the hype and it has delivered. If you can find it, please buy it. A decision you are unlikely to regret.

Cheers

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Color: pours very dark brown. not the darkest ive seen. sits black with a small brown rim. fluffy milk chocolate head

Smell: lots of coffee with some chocolate. mild alcohol presence

Taste: lots of roast/coffee with chocolate. just a hint of bourbon, otherwise just taken for straight ethyl. chocolatey roasted finish with a drop of bourbon

Mouthfeel: full body. very smooth. moderate carbonation. booze and bitterness really tingles the tongue

Notes: delicious, powerful stout. pretty intense booziness but not too distracting. great beer, but the mystique lay in its limited availability

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

WOW! This is a tasty mothafucka!

If you have ever drained the transfer case on a thirty year old pickup truck, then you know how this one looks. Thick, viscous, 65w oil.

Smells like heaven. Coffee, coffee, bourbon, coffee, dark fruit, coffee, roasted malt, coffe, dark chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of coffee. From the time I cracked the cap on this bottle, the smell hit my nose. Wonderfully pungent and overpowering!

Generally, I am not a fan of the bourbon barrel aged beers. With the KBS, that huge coffee flavor balances the bourbon perfectly. It is oh-so-smooth! Again, I say, "that's a tasty mothafucka!"

For a beer that poured so thick, it seems just a tiny bit thin. Not thin in comparison with a normal stout, but thin for such a highly touted brew. It's big in the mouth, but I always want just a little more...

As for drinkability, the high abv, price, and availability keep this from being a 5. I could actually drink this all day, every day, if I had the money and founders had the production.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

ah, the hype... the difficulty finding it... the limits on buying it... regardless i was looking forward to this one. founder's really does good things with bourbon barrels.

the hilarious olde-time label certainly makes for a nice bottle (and a twisty top, always forget that). poured into a tulip aggressively yielding a deep brown, one-ish finger head that dissipated after a few minutes. the obsidian liquid lets no light through. a small ring of foam remains around the edges, not much lacing but littles suds do stick to the glass.

wow. after just opening the bottle and taking a sniff, i knew this was indeed something good. chocolate... coffee... vanilla... roasty malts... and just the hint of booziness. i like.

ok, this what mattered the most and always does. i was throughly impressed. the mixture of flavors is really really well done! up front is the rich chocolatey goodness... followed roasty malt, coffee bitterness... and then shifts to a slightly sweet vanilla - bourbon flavor. goddamn dessert in a bottle.

a thick and rich mouthfeel, full bodied and no mistaking it. the slight prickles of carbonation help keep it from becoming an oil slick.

11.2%? oh, i can feel it. but the presentation combined with the aromas and flavors makes this one drinkable. must remember to sip. i want more.

a really superb beer.

3.85/5  rDev -15.6%

I hate to knock this beer, but I'm going to. Starts out fine, a good looking stout and smells great - dense malt and overtones of the mentioned coffee and vanilla, as well as the bourbon. The taste is where it goes south, sadly. I found this beer to be cloyingly sweet. I dig the bourbon barrel aged flavor but the vanilla is just too much. It tastes artificial to me, and that I don't like. I love Founders so I was disappointed not to like this beer. It would be better served as a desert beer or even like a beer ice cream float. I love stouts but this one does not hit the mark for me. So if you're getting ready to trade away treasures from your cellar for this one, be warmed - it may be your thing, but it is very very sweet, to a fault in my own opinion.

Note: so after the initial tasting, I sat on a couple 4 packs and tried another last night, wondering if a bit of the vanilla had mellowed out. I'm glad I did. Not nearly as cloying as I remember, and after only a few months of aging, the vanilla has mellowed out and blended with the bourbon. Much more balance and harmony. Still, this is on the sweeter side for a stout but much improved over the super fresh version. My advice would be to stick this right in the cellar when you buy it and age for maybe 6 months or even a year if you are patient before you try it. For what it's worth...

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

In a snifter:

I got an overpour, but clearly the head was thick - I have a solid blanket of chocolatey head on top. Jet black body, no light gets through. Tons bitter chocolate aromas, with some coffee, and bourbon as well. Tastes unbelievable: there's a perfect maltiness to balance heavy coffee bitter, followed by a wonderful bourbon aftertaste. It's thick and velvety as well, with perfect carbonation I could drink so much of this. The only thing that diminishes drinkability in my mind is it's ABV.

Overall: I enjoyed this so much more on tap than I did from a bottle. This is a truly unique and delicious AIS.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

"The Amazing Kosmicki's Highly Acclaimed KBS" with the antithetical snake oil pitch on the label; stubby with a twist-off top; my Tyler's Speakeasy shaker pint glass; yadda, yadda... let's turn the hype up on this brew with one more review notch...

Presented lightly chilled and served in the aforementioned pint-sized vessel, Founders KBS is glossy patent leather black in body with a melted chocolate milkshake colored cap of creamy foam atop. The topping fades to a thin skim with large bubbles at the collar, and leaves freckles of lacing scattered about the glass.

Invisible tendrils of Bourbon and vanilla reach out to me from the shimmering blackness, the notes potent even at an arm's length, alerting my nose that something wonderful is about to happen. The edible aromas are etched with cool, crisp notes of oak, potent and winey French roasted coffee beans, and the drink's overall profile of sweetness is augmented further with a sprinkle of warm caramel and a dusty blast of dark chocolate truffles.

The taste is rich and mocha-like with a splash of premium Bourbon, the overall profile reminiscent of dark semisweet chocolate truffles, espresso crema, spicy molasses, fudge brownies with creamy coffee, charred caramel, more vanilla-- all topped off with a hefty drop or two of Wild Turkey in the chaser position. Mild burnt-grain, smoky bitterness and cooling, cleansing alcohol do very well to knock the sugar factor down, allowing the drink to finish at a near-perfect balance of sweet, earthy, tangy, and savory.

KBS is creamy-firm and full-bodied with mild carbonation and plenty of belly-warming booze. It's a wonderful sipper and a truly magnificent beer, but ho-hum-- I'm no longer suprised by anything Founders puts out-- it's all f*cking magnificent and thus it's nearly boring as all hell to keep stroking their egos... stroke, stroke, stroke.... ;)

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a 13 oz snifter at Sunset Bar and Grill, this beer was dark as night with a small light brown head that sat atop. I should mention that the beer was served much colder than suggested and I drank slowly and warmed the beer with my hands.
Smells of Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and coffee.
A chocolate taste is first to come to prominence which then gives way to the bourbon, vanilla and coffee character. This beer finishes with a very pleasant maple syrup character.
Low carbonation which is expected with a slow sipper such as this. A rich creamy thick mouthfeel makes up the body of this beer.
A fantastic beer which I wish was easier to get a hold of. I will drink this at any opportunity in which it presents itself.

3.98/5  rDev -12.7%

Thank you WakeandBake for a chance to try this highly sought after beer!

A - This beer looks beautiful. A dark stout poured nicely into my Founders Pint Glass, with a nice retaining half inch tan head.

S - I smell roasts and chocolate, not overpowering either.

T - The taste is strong. It has a rough barrel taste from the aging. Then, a hint of bourbon. After that, comes the coffee and chocolate flavors to finish it off.

M - Very low carbonation, I was hoping for more carbonation, on par of the Breakfast stout, and it is not here. This is the least pleasing part of this beer.

D - I cannot see myself wanting to drink this in rapid succession. It is not the easiest beer to drink on it's own either. Another aspect that is lowering of its score.

Overall - this is a unique and complext beer. I will keep sipping on it as it warms up, and it is a very good beer.

4.44/5  rDev -2.6%

I am very excited to try this beer. Will it live up to the hype?

This pours very much like a cup of espresso into my snifter. The color of black coffee. No head at first, but with a vigorous swirl it slowly builds into about a quarter inch, then is gone, leaving just a thin layer floating on top. Bits of lace typical of an 11.2% beer cling to the sides.

The aroma is very interesting. Imagine a cup of black coffee with just a hint of Jim Beam lurking in the background. Some vanilla and a bit of milk chocolate round out the experience. It what I expected, but better. The bourbon notes don't overwhelm the senses, but compliment the other aromas.

The first flavor that hits the palate is a biting alcohol. It quickly gives way to full bodied coffee, then a slightly vanilla flavor. Quite a multi-dimensional feel. Many layers of flavor here. A chocolate flavor appears after swallowing the beer. Interesting how it hid out in the background then snuck up on my palate. This reminds me of a chocolate pecan pie made with bourbon.

The mouthfeel is wonderful. It is silky smooth. The oats give a very soft texture. Thick and chewy, yet light bodied at the same time. It leaves the palate quickly, but a luxurious coffee and chocolate flavor remain. Eventually, a slightly dry sensation takes over.

Overall, this is a fascinating beer. There are so many dimensions to the flavors and smells. Bourbon stouts are not my favorite style, however this is exceptionally done. It is quite expensive at about $5 a bottle, but I am glad I have tried this.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company