Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,019
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,484 | Reviews: 2,617

Walked into my local liquor store for an IPA run, and on my way to check out I saw a lonesome, dusty 4-pack of KBS sitting there on the shelf. I NEVER thought I'd get a chance to try this beer. So after I made a mess in my pants I finally had the chance to give the almighty KBS a shot.

This is a beer that definitely lives up to the hype. Bell's Expedition Stout was the king in my books, but it's been dethroned. KBS is easily one of the most well balanced and delicious beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. HUGE bourbon, coffee, chocolate, cognac, and vanilla flavors that blend so well together it almost makes me angry.

As far as stouts go, this is one of the smoothest, most easy drinking stouts I've got my hands on. And this beer's 11.2% ABV. Dangerously drinkable, dangerously delicious, and just plain flat-out incredible. My only complaint is the mouthfeel wasn't as creamy as I expected it to be, and that's really all I can complain about. This is an absolutely must have beer.

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz. Bottle
$19.99 4-Pack
Binny's Orland

Kentucky Breakfast Stout pours black as night. Viscous body that gurgles into my snifter. A chocolate half finger head formed on the pour that faded to a ring. The ring leaves ringed lacing after each drink. Very handsome beer.

Big notes of coffee and vanilla. This beer absolutely makes my mouth water. Mild bourbon and oak. The coffee smells freshly brewed and hot. This very easily could be the best smelling beer I've ever had the opportunity to smell.

The flavor is as good as the smell. One of the best beers I've ever tasted. Starts off with freshly brewed coffee and cream. Mild vanilla up front. Mid palate the coffee gets stronger and is accompanied by hazelnut, a splash of bourbon, and even a little hop spiciness. Excellent!

Mouthfeel is perfect. Thick and creamy body. Sluggish carbonation lets the beer work through my mouth velvety smooth.

There is no doubt about this beer being a sipper but it's one that I could sip from the moment I rolled out of bed until I fell back asleep.

This is one special brew. I wasn't sure if this would live up to all the talk or not. It lives up to and surpasses the talk. One of the best beers I've experienced in my drinking days. Exceptional!

4.85/5  rDev +5%

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE thanks to beersndrums for this one. I’m just starting to realize how many awesome beers I’ve gotten to try because of this guy. Really an awesome dude!

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temperature.

L – Jet black color with a 1.5-finger frothy, rocky, brown head. Great retention and fantastic sheets of lacing. Very viscous.

S – One of the best-smelling stouts that I’ve ever had the pleasure of smelling. There’s a perfect blend of tons of chocolate and coffee, vanilla and oak from the bourbon barrels, and rich dark fruits like plums and currants. All of the aromas are in the perfect proportion and work so well together.

T – It starts off sweet with chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and dark fruit flavors and rapidly picks up a wonderful bourbon and oak flavor. As the dryness from those two flavors builds, bitter roasted coffee appears and also continues to build. Once the coffee starts to fade, beautiful bittersweet dark chocolate comes in to finish up the taste. While bourbon flavors are certainly apparent, alcohol is not. This beer is absolutely delicious.

F – Full-bodied, more carbonation than expected, a silky-smooth, velvety, and sticky mouthfeel, and a bittersweet and dry finish. Coffee, dark chocolate, and bourbon flavors linger along with a smooth throat-warmth from the alcohol.

O – This beer is fantastic and everything that I dreamed it would be. It looks fantastic, has one of the best aromas I can remember, tastes heavenly, and has a great mouthfeel to back it up. It comes close to perfection and is by far my favorite bourbon barrel-aged stout that I’ve had so far. I love bourbon but I don’t want it to overshadow the beer when the two are blended. I think Founders absolutely nailed the blend. The bourbon flavors and aromas are present without any boozy sting. I really wish this beer was more readily available because it’s too good to only be able to get a bottle or two via trading. Maybe my luck will change in the future and I’ll be able to find more. In the meantime, thank you SO much, Jared, for the chance to try this wonderful, wonderful beer!

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company